Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impeachment polling’s getting worse for Trump

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impeachment polling’s getting worse for Trump

There’s been another series of anguished Tweets from the incumbent of the White House following the latest impeachment polling commissioned by the channel that used to be his greatest supporter – Fox News.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    FIrst?
  • Options
    Bev Dallas Multipost ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited October 2019
    FPT
    Some of these people seem to be gagging for the whole thing to fall apart just so the "drama" can keep going.
  • Options
    Is there any polling on match ups between Pence and leading Democratic contenders ? Hard polling evidence removing Trump would save the White House is surely needed before the Senate establishment risked the wrath of primary voters.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    Not directly connected, but the shafting of the Kurds looks like it may seriously weaken Trump, and a weakened POTUS is an impeachable POTUS.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Still not a peep from Leave.EU or Arron Banks or The Brexit Party or Farage. Most odd.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Nice to see that we continue to build bridges with the EU

"The UK will deport EU citizens after Brexit if they do not apply for the right to remain in time, Home Office minister Brandon Lewis says.

He told a German newspaper they would have to leave even if they met all the criteria for a residency permit."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50003563
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    And as I posted in the previous thread, another shoe dropped.

The indictment of the Giuliani associates today is significant:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/465181-read-indictment-of-giuliani-contacts-who-aided-in-ukraine

They are closely tied to Trump, as their lawyer's own words show:
    https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1182308329286184960
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Still not a peep from Leave.EU or Arron Banks or The Brexit Party or Farage. Most odd.

Isn't Farage on LBC right now?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Not directly connected, but the shafting of the Kurds looks like it may seriously weaken Trump, and a weakened POTUS is an impeachable POTUS.

Yep. I think it's the singular lack of honour, the fetid stink of betrayal in the decision that is peeling off a lot of his supporters.
  • Options
    Very odd Varadkar has done substantial on the record media re today's agreement - thus framing the narrative - and Boris has disappeared.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Well he has certainly pissed off the Republican senators who take national security seriously.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:

Not a clue. Just flicking through Brexiteer Twitter.
  • Options
    You can listen to Nigel live right now (well between advert breaks ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ3zQAQxgPQ
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You can listen to Nigel live right now (well between advert breaks ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ3zQAQxgPQ

Gee, thanks.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:

That sounds like a labour of love
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Sky News is reporting that Downing Street has appealed to the bosses of FTSE-100 companies to publicly endorse Boris Johnson’s Brexit “compromise deal”.

Advisers to the prime minister have this week been canvassing support from business leaders for an open letter arguing that the uncertainty over Brexit “needs to end”.

Sources said “a substantial number” of Britain’s most prominent companies had been contacted during the last week to gauge their interest in signing the letter.

But they warned that it might not be published because of executives’ reluctance to back its contents amid concerns about its “overtly political” message.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/10/brexit-latest-news-boris-johnson-varadkar-corbyn-no-deal-would-put-lives-at-risk-says-former-chief-medical-officer-live-news?page=with:block-5d9f66ec8f084862358fbbf7#block-5d9f66ec8f084862358fbbf7
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:

Yes. Focusing on Corbyn rather than Johnson.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    So a smidgeon higher than early 2017!
  • Options
    If ERG MPs - and the DUP - end up accepting a Deal which they rejected when put forward by Theresa May, they will surely seem hypocritical and ridiculous. They would have to explain why they have put the country through such agony for no material gain
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    GIN1138 said:

FPT

Some of these people seem to be gagging for the whole thing to fall apart just so the "drama" can keep going.
    They seem to be gagging for the whole thing to fall apart because they will have a massive nervous breakdown when Boris delivers Brexit.....
  • Options

Very odd Varadkar has done substantial on the record media re today's agreement - thus framing the narrative - and Boris has disappeared.

The Express is calling it a major breakthrough for Boris. 😂
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    justin124 said:

If ERG MPs - and the DUP - end up accepting a Deal which they rejected when put forward by Theresa May, they will surely seem hypocritical and ridiculous.

Never stopped them before.
    justin124 said:

They would have to explain why they have put the country through such agony for no material gain

Indeed. As would Labour.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    justin124 said:

If ERG MPs - and the DUP - end up accepting a Deal which they rejected when put forward by Theresa May, they will surely seem hypocritical and ridiculous. They would have to explain why they have put the country through such agony for no material gain

If ERG MPs vote against they are suspended and unable to stand for Tories in GE2019
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

FPT

They seem to be gagging for the whole thing to fall apart because they will have a massive nervous breakdown when Boris delivers Brexit.....
    But if it emerges that the proposals pretty much mirror what was on offer last March, many are going to wonder what has been the point of the turmoil of the last 6 or 7 months.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, Donald Trump is alienating part of his coalition over Syria. He needs it to hold firm to stay safe.
  • Options

justin124 said:

If ERG MPs vote against they are suspended and unable to stand for Tories in GE2019
    That does not answer the point at all - though might explain political pressure on them.How many would consider sending letters in to Graham Brady having been betrayed by Johnson.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    justin124 said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

But if it emerges that the proposals pretty much mirror what was on offer last March, many are going to wonder what has been the point of the turmoil of the last 6 or 7 months.
    I’m afraid they won’t the wonder boy had delivered the goods nobody else could have done it nobody will mention that it is the same turd with a different color glitter. All smoke and mirrors but a turd is a turd
  • Options
    Andrew said:

justin124 said:

If ERG MPs - and the DUP - end up accepting a Deal which they rejected when put forward by Theresa May, they will surely seem hypocritical and ridiculous.

Never stopped them before.
    justin124 said:

They would have to explain why they have put the country through such agony for no material gain

Indeed. As would Labour.
    Only if Labour changes its position on a deal.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

95% of what was available in March was acceptable. Not great but acceptable. It was always the backstop that was the stumbling block. If a deal has been reached to give consent and make it OK then that was the point. Better that than locking us into an unacceptable backstop.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

That does not answer the point at all - though might explain political pressure on them.How many would consider sending letters in to Graham Brady having been betrayed by Johnson.
    Better do it quick before they are ex Tory MPs
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Is there anything for them to comment on? No one seems to know anything about what is being agreed.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Hillary Clinton was last traded at 14.5 for the Democratic nomination.
  • Options

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:

That sounds like a labour of love
    Know your enemy :)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Duplicate deleted.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Is there anything for them to comment on? No one seems to know anything about what is being agreed.
    It's never stopped them trotting out warnings and a betrayal narrative before.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    Maybe we should call a moratorium on commenting on today’s developments on the Wirral until we know what they are? I suspect that Johnson has blagged this by “promising” Leo something far more ambiguous than Leo realises - but I’ve been wrong before.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104
    Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:

Now wash your hands in bleach.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    On the far more interesting subject of vacuum cleaners, I had a GTech as well: a main one and a handheld one. Both broke down. Rubbish. As did my Bosch handheld.

The old upright Panasonic was the best. My Henry was pretty good for years but it too broke down. I've had a Miele which now needs repair.

Basically there is little point spending any money on all these fancy bits of equipment, including kettles or toasters, because they all break down after a bit. Trying to find a repair shop is a bit of an endeavour. If we want to stop filling the land or the oceans with rubbish, reinstating the concept of repair shops / services would be a start. As well as building things that last.

I have recently taken to using a sharp handheld brush on my carpeted stairs. Works just as well and gives my arms a workout at the same time.

Anyway that's enough household tips for now.

Has bloody Brexit finally been solved? Or are we being led to the top of the hill by the Duke of York only to be led straight down again?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:

As soon as I've finished boiling my eyeballs.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I think we’ll know by tomorrow afternoon if there’s a chance of a deal .

That’s after Barnier and Barclay meet in the morning .

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:

As soon as I've finished boiling my eyeballs.
    Genuine LOL.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

On the far more interesting subject of vacuum cleaners, I had a GTech as well: a main one and a handheld one. Both broke down. Rubbish. As did my Bosch handheld.

The old upright Panasonic was the best. My Henry was pretty good for years but it too broke down. I've had a Miele which now needs repair.

Basically there is little point spending any money on all these fancy bits of equipment, including kettles or toasters, because they all break down after a bit. Trying to find a repair shop is a bit of an endeavour. If we want to stop filling the land or the oceans with rubbish, reinstating the concept of repair shops / services would be a start. As well as building things that last.

I have recently taken to using a sharp handheld brush on my carpeted stairs. Works just as well and gives my arms a workout at the same time.

Has bloody Brexit finally been solved? Or are we being led to the top of the hill by the Duke of York only to be led straight down again?

You clearly have a reasonable job. Might I suggest enjoying life a little more and hiring a cleaner.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

You clearly have a reasonable job. Might I suggest enjoying life a little more and hiring a cleaner.
    Then you have to have a stranger in your house rooting around. Sounds awful.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Nothing quite like getting home after work to a sparkling house on cleaner day.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,967
    Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

+1 - we have a cleaner and someone collects the ironing and does it. Life is too short to waste doing things like that when I can help the economy and get someone else to do the work.

As for electrical repairs - our Kenwood mixer has broken down after 15 years. Taking it to be repaired they said cheaper to get a new one (motor has gone and that's £120 to replace with other bits on top).
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Anyway that's enough household tips for now

Nothing quite like getting home after work to a sparkling house on cleaner day.

Crisp sheets, ironed shirts, shining floors. Marvellous :smiley:
  • Options
    I like doing the ironing. It’s the one thing in the week which starts in disorder and ends tangibly in order.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    I think it has to be worth investing a few more Pence in this market. US economic data is still largely positive, and if the GOP can bin Trump off at the right time and in a way that protects the veep from the fallout, they get a shot at 2020 with a good ol' fashioned God 'n' guns Republican, against a Dem who has spent the last twelve months tilting at orange windmills.

Full disclosure: on at 33/1
  • Options

I like doing the ironing. It’s the one thing in the week which starts in disorder and ends tangibly in order.

They do say every person has a kink, somewhere.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Correct.
    Any remaining ambiguities must be replaced with a legal draft for an international treaty, subject to the Vienna Convention, to be examined and approved by the General Affairs Council on friday, to then be conveyed to the European Council next week.
    The time for dithering is finally up.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Vax are very good. Cheaper than Dyson and they will test how well secured your carpet is to the floor.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Drutt said:

I think it has to be worth investing a few more Pence in this market. US economic data is still largely positive, and if the GOP can bin Trump off at the right time and in a way that protects the veep from the fallout, they get a shot at 2020 with a good ol' fashioned God 'n' guns Republican, against a Dem who has spent the last twelve months tilting at orange windmills.

I would suggest anyone betting on POTUS has something placed on Pence. DYOR mind.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Cyclefree said:

The cleaner at my office, and the cleaner at my old office, and the cleaner at my office before that, all had Henrys. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to clean every motherf*cker in the room, accept no substitutes.
  • Options
    The White House is just three blocks away but sadly I haven't yet come by any inside info to share.

Everywhere I went in the US, people told me how awful DC was and not to bother. Yet it's a lot more liveable than most US cities - think St John's Wood meets Milan.
  • Options
    If they call themselves National Conservatives I’m collecting my consultancy fee.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Drutt said:

If Trump falls but Pence doesn't, I don't think the GOP will go with Pence. He'll be tainted by association and he's not a very good campaigner in his own right, and he's weird even by evangelical standards.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

nico67 said:

Correct.
    Any remaining ambiguities must be replaced with a legal draft for an international treaty, subject to the Vienna Convention, to be examined and approved by the General Affairs Council on friday, to then be conveyed to the European Council next week.
    Vienna Convention only applies to treaties between states. It doesn't cover treaties where a party is an international organization.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

I am a freelancer so never know what money is coming in. No point wasting it on extravagances like a cleaner. I spent enough on household help when the children were small and it was needed. Now they can clean their own rooms and after themselves.

Anyway, I like doing my own cleaning or getting my children to do it. One of them is going all Marie Kondo on me with the kitchen tea towels. And I enjoy life fine. I just hate the idea of buying stuff which breaks down and has to be thrown away.

You are talking to possibly the last woman in London who has repeatedly had her video recorder repaired and still has it, attached to a TV, waiting for the time when I will have the time to watch all those videos I patiently recorded over the years. :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

If they call themselves National Conservatives I’m collecting my consultancy fee.
    I wonder if Anna Soubry will end up in their party.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    Toaster anecdote...

When I bought all of the kitchen appliances when me and Wor Lass set up home they threw in a kettle and toaster for free. 25 years later the toaster was still going strong, and when we sold our flat the buyer asked us to leave it as part of the deal, which we did.

I should have asked for an extra twenty quid!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    edited October 2019

nico67 said:

Correct.
    Vienna Convention does not apply.

Edit. I see RPJS below has already pointed this out.
  • Options

When you are older you will be doing jigsaws
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

But didn't Trump make the very reasonable point that the Kurds didn't help the US on D-Day?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712
    GIN1138 said:

FPT

Possibly, or maybe they just know Boris.
    Shame we couldn't have had his dad, or sister or brother as PM instead.
  • Options

I long ago eliminated all shirts from my wardrobe to avoid just this sort of tedious activity. Anything else hung on a washing line in a bit of a breeze is ironed enough for me.

But I do love a well made bed.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I just had a look on Amazon, apparently 110v models of Henry are available here in the American colonies but they are expensive! Cheapest is $340!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    nichomar said:

.... but a turd is a turd

Yes but some turds are considerably nastier than others.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

When you are older you will be doing jigsaws
    I love jigsaw puzzles.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965

Toaster anecdote...

When I bought all of the kitchen appliances when me and Wor Lass set up home they threw in a kettle and toaster for free. 25 years later the toaster was still going strong, and when we sold our flat the buyer asked us to leave it as part of the deal, which we did.

Dualit toasters are great and can be repaired. They seem to have realised that a pop-up spring is a counterproductive mechanism in a toaster (toast goes cold quicker when popped up) and just makes them far more fragile. A solid lever is what you want!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Meanwhile Hillary Clinton was last traded at 14.5 for the Democratic nomination.

That's the smart money going on her, right?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    rcs1000 said:

That's the smart money going on her, right?
    Bill's a smart guy.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Let’s say a deal is done .

The issue is the time taken for the legislation. I think a technical extension would be needed .

If MPs agree to pass the deal they should amend this to include that extension which the EU will be happy to agree with .

This could be set before the general election.

Johnson’s obsession with the 31 October shouldn’t be allowed to avoid proper scrutiny of the legislation, a few weeks more is no big deal.
  • Options
    I love how Goodwin has labelled the trend line. What would we do without him?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,187

The obvious title would be 'Unionists...'
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I long ago eliminated all shirts from my wardrobe to avoid just this sort of tedious activity. Anything else hung on a washing line in a bit of a breeze is ironed enough for me.

The 3 benefits of working from home:

1. Lie in
    2. Save on train fare
    3. No need to iron a shirt

• Options

Two questions: (1) won't they all lose their seats fighting as independents? And (2) why is Rory Stewart not involved?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited October 2019

On topic, Donald Trump is alienating part of his coalition over Syria. He needs it to hold firm to stay safe.

Trump has even lost the evangelicals - because they are loyal to the Syrian Christians now being attacked by the Islamist Turk.

This repulsive betrayal corrodes Trump’s base in a very unique way. It could finish him. Let’s hope so.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Drutt said:

If Trump falls but Pence doesn't, I don't think the GOP will go with Pence. He'll be tainted by association and he's not a very good campaigner in his own right, and he's weird even by evangelical standards.
    Pence will be the sitting President.

I don't think they'll have a lot of choice. The "base" will be furious that Trump has been ejected, and they will want someone close to him.

Indeed, Pence would be perfect for Senate Republicans - he'll been seen as continuing Trump's legact but being sufficiently malleable.

Not only that but don't forget that the RNC has severely limited the Primary process in 2020. Picking someone other than the President will be tough.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Two questions: (1) won't they all lose their seats fighting as independents? And (2) why is Rory Stewart not involved?
    Because he's not standing at the next election?
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

None - am I correctly in thinking that a new Tory leader now has 12 months' immunity from challenge? He could sling any rebels out without a care!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

The Express is calling it a major breakthrough for Boris. 😂
    It's the Bullingdon technique. First you trash the place then throw around a few £50 notes so it can be repaired.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Trump has even lost the evangelicals - because they are loyal to the Syrian Christians now being attacked by the Islamist Turk.

This repulsive betrayal corrodes Trump’s base in a very unique way. It could finish him. Let’s hope so.
    We can but hope.
  • Options

Toaster anecdote...

My toaster is 15 years old and working fine.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

FPT

I’m not a fan of Boris and am a fan of Peston but publicly revealing the dynamics of his ghostwriting relationship with Boris is bloody bad form, impolite and unprofessional.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    edited October 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Our Shark kicks our old Dyson's ass in my experience. Our even older Henry was pretty good but I have appropriated that to sook rusty detritus out of bike petrol tanks (still to break this news to partner).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Cyclefree said:

Rory pissed them all off by trying to take the glory for himself.

Anyway, they will all be a footnote in history when Boris gets a deal through.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    Drutt said:

Which market? Pence as next POTUS is IMO much more likely than Pence winning WH2020. He will only stand as presidential candidate if it is not possible to get any other candidate in place.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

FPT

I’m not a fan of Boris and am a fan of Peston but publicly revealing the dynamics of his ghostwriting relationship with Boris is bloody bad form, impolite and unprofessional.
    I read that as, 'somebody who was a Spectator columnist when Johnson was editor.' Was there more to it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Because he's not standing at the next election?

I know that. But the talks didn't start this morning. Rory has been very close to David Gauke, who was one of his supporters, and for whom Rory worked. He would seem a natural fit for this sort of grouping.
  • Options

Toaster anecdote...

Dualit toasters are great and can be repaired. They seem to have realised that a pop-up spring is a counterproductive mechanism in a toaster (toast goes cold quicker when popped up) and just makes them far more fragile. A solid lever is what you want!
    Well that’s open to misinterpretation
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Question: how many people on here want Boris to fail?

I’m guessing hardcore Corbynites, who don’t care about Brexit. Any others? Any ultra Remainers who still prefer Remain, even at the risk of No Deal? Or maybe some BXPers?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Toaster anecdote...

My toaster is 15 years old and working fine.
    Please report back in 10 years time...
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The 3 benefits of working from home:

1. Lie in
    2. Save on train fare
    3. No need to iron a shirt

4. Can have a proper lunch.
    5. Listen to music or radio while working.
    6. Peace and quiet.
    7. Can work in garden on sunny days.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

nichomar said:

.... but a turd is a turd

Yes but some turds are considerably nastier than others.

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Toaster anecdote...

Well that’s open to misinterpretation
    I don't think anyone doubts Boris has a solid lever, even if there is some speculation he's a less than solid Leaver.
This discussion has been closed.