Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There is little from the betting to indicate which way punters

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There is little from the betting to indicate which way punters think tomorrow’s vote will go

The betting odds above from Ladbrokes were correct as at 1345. Things might have changed since.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Falklands war in 1992?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Betfair`s "Meaningful Vote to pass on 19/10/2019" odds are worth keeping an eye on (thanks isam).

"No" is now strongish favourite. Maybe due to Letwin amendment?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Betfair`s "Meaningful Vote to pass on 19/10/2019" odds are worth keeping an eye on (thanks isam).

"No" is now strongish favourite. Maybe due to Letwin amendment?

Not sure 1.86 is "strongish"!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Which way would Bercow vote if there is a tie?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Maybe no bad thing given how wrong predictions have been in the recent past.

Not inclined to bet on this.

There might be more value hunting for markets contingent on the result of the vote. Will this benefit the Conservatives, say, if we have an election in the near future?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,938
    edited October 2019
    The public and the voters now clearly want the Boris Deal to pass, so MPs should be aware of that.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_ComRes/status/1184938398328541185?s=20

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1185150058855096320?s=20
    That was not the case with May's Deal
  • Options
    Bercow votes against the deal to keep status-quo
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,351
    Gabs2 said:
    I agree.
    Even though it's highly likely the FTA will be skewed strongly in the EU's favour.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2019

Which way would Bercow vote if there is a tie?

Bollocks to Brexit....obvs.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    BBC now reporting that Macron is signalling no further delay. I thought yesterday that this sort of messaging might be a part of Boris' deal; a quid pro quo for the customs climbdown.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Except the EU will not grant any extension unti the vote on the Deal is held without a Commons vote for EUref2 or a GE
  • Options
    3/1 on it passing by more than 10 is like printing money

Get on!!!
  • Options
    Taken with Macron's statement this all looks co-ordinated to me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The public and the voters now clearly want the Boris Deal to pass, so MPs should be aware of that.

FAKE NEWS
  • Options
    HYUFD said: "Except the EU will not grant any extension until the vote on the Deal is held without a Commons vote for EUref2 or a GE"

Could be just a technical extension?

Or do you think Letwin amendment is designed to embarrass Boris?
  • Options
    As I see it each side is grossly exaggerating the negatives to influence their argument

If the deal falls tomorrow and Boris writes a letter the EU will say have another go next week, you have time.

However, if the HOC were to pass a referendum tomorrow that is very different but Corbyn is not putting forward that amendment

If the SNP want to try a vonc on Boris, Corbyn will not vote for it as he is terrified of a wipeout

So if neither a GE or a referendum is voted for tomorrow the EU will almost certainly confirm it is this deal or no deal

And Corbyn will be the most responsible for Brexit
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Macron, say non
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    TudorRose said:

I'm surprised that Leavers aren't paranoid about why the EU seem to like this deal so much. Had the EU made all this noise for May's deal they would just have used it as evidence it was a bad deal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    FPT:
    philiph said:

IanB2 said:

Gabs2 said:

Stocky said:

Letwin amendment : I`ve been trying to get to grips with this. It looks pretty certain that this amendment will pass - and it could create a stumbling-block to get support for the deal from ERG memnbers.

Comments?

ERG seem to be genuinely accepting the deal, rather than having some nefarious plan to bait and switch. So while I understand why Letwin wants protections, I don't think passage will block ERG votes.

Their worry is that if the deal scrapes through now, it may only take a tiny handful of ERG nutters to switch back and sink it on the later readings. Hence Letwin sensibly wants the provisions of the Benn Act to continue to apply. Call it a backstop.
    Not really as the entire basis of Labour LibDem and Tory positions is altered by having agreed the Deal.

The ERG will have less power after the deal is done.
    But the deal (strictly the WAIB) needs to be voted through at second and third reading. It won’t be “done” if it scrapes through on Saturday. Whereas the Benn Act, on current drafting, would fall in such circumstances. Hence the need for Letwin.

It would be very easy for a few MPs to find some in principle objection to some part of the WAIB. Indeed Mrs M denied its publication in draft for precisely this reason.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Stocky said:

Yes. Nothing to do with him being a leaver or remainer, he has to vote down the WA if there's a tie as normal protocol (Speaker can not make new laws)
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Except the EU will not grant any extension unti the vote on the Deal is held without a Commons vote for EUref2 or a GE
    Which is the point of the Letwin amendment.
    It is there to ensure that if Boris wins the vote tomorrow, the deal doesn't get timed out by the enabling legislation not being passed. It's not intended as a spoiler - Letwin is backing the deal itself.
  • Options
    148grss said:

TudorRose said:

I'm surprised that Leavers aren't paranoid about why the EU seem to like this deal so much. Had the EU made all this noise for May's deal they would just have used it as evidence it was a bad deal.
    On the other hand if the Spartans believe that the EU won't extend it may suit them to vote the deal down and hope/expect it will lead to 'no deal'.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Which is the point of the Letwin amendment.
    It is there to ensure that if Boris wins the vote tomorrow, the deal doesn't get timed out by the enabling legislation not being passed. It's not intended as a spoiler - Letwin is backing the deal itself.
    But he knows the ERG might pull away support because of it. That's why it's clever.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    eek said:

Falklands war in 1992?

Corrected
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2019
    Of course they are. Boris's deal is substantially better for the EU than May's deal was. The EU will have the UK, well, Great Britain, over a barrel at the end of the transition period in a way that was impossible with the backstop. They probably still can't believe that Boris was prepared to throw the Ulster Unionists under the bus in order to get rid of the backstop. No wonder Varadkar was looking so happy after their little chat!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Yes. Nothing to do with him being a leaver or remainer, he has to vote down the WA if there's a tie as normal protocol (Speaker can not make new laws)
    The irony of Bercow causing us to leave with no deal would be off the scale
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Macron, say non

Scott will post that very soon ... or not lol
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Letwin needs to withdraw his amendment, it greatly enhances the risks of no deal given Macron and varadkars comments
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

148grss said:

TudorRose said:

On the other hand if the Spartans believe that the EU won't extend it may suit them to vote the deal down and hope/expect it will lead to 'no deal'.
    The EU will likely extend for "some action" (GE or 2nd ref).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The number of Labour DKs suggests they're waiting on Labour to lead the way. I think if Labour vote against the deal a large number of those Labour DKs will be fine with that. I assume the same will be the case for Remain DKs.

A large minority of the country want this deal. Is that really good enough?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    The idea that the EU would harm Ireland by causing a no deal if parliament rejects Johnson's deal seems unlikely to me...
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    FPT

Looking on from Denmark it is incredible people are arguing over whether they should vote for the deal or not - if you want to avoid no deal, vote for the deal. Patience with the UK is stretched to breaking point. If you think the deal is an abomination abstain. But even if Macron wilts, which he might do, the EU had bent over backwards to help the UK political class - this group of useless tossers are still wanting to go round in circles - our PM Mette Frederikson is already moving on to the budget and building the coalition (with Sweden, Austria and the netherlands) to keep finances under control post-Brexit - the UK is gone already in most people's eyes here - stop faffing about and get the thing signed so a decent FTA can get arranged - preferably after an election in early December. Kom så Storbritannian - bare gør det!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Sure but protocol obliges him to vote against. He followed protocol when it helped the leave side (on a tie) in the process before, some Benn or Letwin act iirc.
  • Options
    148grss said:

TudorRose said:

Not really.

The EU have had enough and have big problems with recession fears, budget problems, France and other preventing further accession resulting in big split in the EU today and problems over Ursula von der Leyen adoption as Commission President

Also I expect many calls are being conducted between no 10 and Brussels today to co-ordinate the EU position on any extension as evidenced by Macron and others uncompromising stance just now
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Would it follow that he would vote against Letwin's amendment as well ?
  • Options

Of course they are. Boris's deal is substantially better for the EU than May's deal was. The EU will have the UK, well, Great Britain, over a barrel at the end of the transition period in a way that was impossible with the backstop. They probably still can't believe that Boris was prepared to throw the Ulster Unionists under the bus in order to get rid of the backstop. No wonder Varadkar was looking so happy after their little chat!
    Former Ulster Unionist Leader Lord Trimble has backed the Deal even if the DUP has not
  • Options
    If you want to prevent No Deal the only way to do that is to vote for a Deal. That much was always the case.

Anyone who has been whinging about No Deal but votes against this Deal is a flaming hypocrite.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

As I see it each side is grossly exaggerating the negatives to influence their argument

If the deal falls tomorrow and Boris writes a letter the EU will say have another go next week, you have time.

However, if the HOC were to pass a referendum tomorrow that is very different but Corbyn is not putting forward that amendment

If the SNP want to try a vonc on Boris, Corbyn will not vote for it as he is terrified of a wipeout

So if neither a GE or a referendum is voted for tomorrow the EU will almost certainly confirm it is this deal or no deal

If the extension has to be 'for Election or Referendum' (other than technical tidy up), then who will be in a position to say unequivocally to EU that a Referendum or Election will happen within x timescale if an extension is given?

Parliament has voted against an election twice and refused to table a VONC.

If the EU ask Johnson will there be an election if we offer an extension he would be able to say they voted against one on September xx and xx. I cannot guarantee that an election would be called, as it is not my prerogative to do so against the expressed will of the House under our FTPA.

A similar message can be given with indicative votes held for another referendum.

Who will issue the guarantee of one of these outcomes to EU? Is it possible Parliament has shot itself in the foot here?
  • Options
    148grss said:

TudorRose said:

It's simply that they have different priorities.
    Leavers don't appear to care all that much about the price we have to pay for independence from the EU, so long as they get what they see as independence.
  • Options
    Letwin amendment passes
    EU say no to extension request
    Spartans vote down WAIB
    No deal on the 31st

Letwin is an idiot
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Sure but protocol obliges him to vote against. He followed protocol when it helped the leave side (on a tie) in the process before, some Benn or Letwin act iirc.
    Bercow has to vote against as his job is to vote for status quo.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Yes, he is expected to maintain the status quo in the event of a tie.
  • Options
    148grss said:

HYUFD said:

The number of Labour DKs suggests they're waiting on Labour to lead the way. I think if Labour vote against the deal a large number of those Labour DKs will be fine with that. I assume the same will be the case for Remain DKs.

Absolutely given a plurality back it and a majority of voters voted to Leave the EU
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Macron and Varadkar being helpful, but they won't tip us into no-deal this month.

It might convert 2 or 3 Lab/exLab waverers though.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

On a tie ? Yes.
  • Options
    148grss said:

HYUFD said:

40% of Labour voters are waiting for indication.
  • Options

Letwin amendment passes
    EU say no to extension request
    Spartans vote down WAIB
    No deal on the 31st

Letwin is an idiot

Depends how many Labour MPs vote for the Deal over No Deal, probably a fair number if extension is ruled out
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely given a plurality back it and a majority of voters voted to Leave the EU
    But if the deal was put to a referendum, would a majority of voters back it over the alternative Remain or even No deal. If yes, I would like that referendum. Even as a remain voter, I think a 2nd ref for a deal won on a majority would bring unity to the country in a way pushing this deal through now won't.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

I think there was a tied vote on whether to have further indicative votes.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

3/1 on it passing by more than 10 is like printing money

Get on!!!

It certainly isn’t like printing money.

Laying Hillary Clinton or Andrea Leadsom is like printing money, if you have patience and deep pockets, but this isn’t.

There’s probably only a 40% chance of that bet coming off, not the 95%+ chance it’d have to be to justify the claim you’re making.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TudorRose said:

148grss said:

TudorRose said:

Yes but as I have just commented that GE or referendum has to pass tomorrow or evidence it would pass otherwise the EU will say 'non'
  • Options

Letwin needs to withdraw his amendment, it greatly enhances the risks of no deal given Macron and varadkars comments

You really think Varadkar wants a No Deal Brexit ? If the WA is rejected a hundred times, he would still not want a Hard Brexit.
    In any case, the Spartans believe Johnson's Deal leads them to a No Deal Brexit after 31.12.2020.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

Boles on board?? Bloody hell.

Why is that a surprise? He sanctimoniously voted for the deal every time before.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    TudorRose said:

The principle is 1st for further discussion if possible, then 2nd for the status quo. You could look at either in several different ways in this situation, it's very much not an easy call.

Of course, we all know Bercow will vote against a deal regardless.

• Options
    If its true that 9 Labour MPs have come out in favour of the deal then I think its over, that should be enough *touch wood*

With Trimble backing the deal too, the DUP should come to their senses and say that on reflection this deal requires NIs consent which was their red line so they can suppor tthis and incidentally there's another billion or two coming to NI to aid with transition.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Floater said:

Scott will post that very soon ... or not lol

Floater will read the thread... Or not.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    148grss said:

TudorRose said:

Because they don't want to admit that, for all the bluster, this deal is even better for the EU than May's deal was. That would amount to admitting that the faffing around for the last year has been a waste of time.

The EU could not believe that the UK was so stupid as to reject May's deal. They don't want the same to happen again.

• Options
    Andrew said:

TudorRose said:

The principle is 1st for further discussion if possible, then 2nd for the status quo. You could look at either in several different ways in this situation, it's very much not an easy call.

Of course, we all know Bercow will vote against a deal regardless.

This is a decision not a vote for further discussion isn't it? In which case he has to vote against.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

Interesting poll. It suggests to me a population that is fed up with Brexit and wants it over with, and also mistrusts the deal.
  • Options

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

40% of Labour voters are waiting for indication.
    Yeah. My concern is this deal wouldn't survive scrutiny of a campaign, so rushing it through parliament now and dealing with the effects after the fact is more likely to cause more damage to unity over the Brexit issue rather than less.

I think any deal that wins a majority in a referendum would go a long way to taking the issue away as a culture war.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

I have a feeling if it was about staying in the EU he would find a way...Its not like he hasn't already broken conventions.
  • Options

You really think Varadkar wants a No Deal Brexit ? If the WA is rejected a hundred times, he would still not want a Hard Brexit.
    In any case, the Spartans believe Johnson's Deal leads them to a No Deal Brexit after 31.12.2020.
    Well they are wrong, as the LibDems, Labour and many Tories will be voting for a FTA. They are not in a majority in this area.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

If its true that 9 Labour MPs have come out in favour of the deal then I think its over, that should be enough *touch wood*

With Trimble backing the deal too, the DUP should come to their senses and say that on reflection this deal requires NIs consent which was their red line so they can suppor tthis and incidentally there's another billion or two coming to NI to aid with transition.

Of course, the DUP switching at the last moment would almost certainly guarantee this Deal gets over the line. If it wants this deal done, perhaps Brussels could agree to pay for that bridge....
  • Options

Who cares what the 28 Spartans think? Theres no majority in the HoC to ditch the FTA and refuse to extend transition. This is just swivel eyed nonsense now that theres some 15 month plot to no deal
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    https://twitter.com/denisstaunton/status/1185182801383038976?s=20

Rebel alliance silly buggery has a bit of a problemo.
  • Options

Trimble is UUP. The DUP hate the UUP. Bit like Monty Python.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Of course, the DUP switching at the last moment would almost certainly guarantee this Deal gets over the line. If it wants this deal done, perhaps Brussels could agree to pay for that bridge....
    I can't see DUP switching now purely on a bribe. It would be too obvious.
  • Options

Looks like the game is up.
  • Options

Who cares what the 28 Spartans think? Theres no majority in the HoC to ditch the FTA and refuse to extend transition. This is just swivel eyed nonsense now that theres some 15 month plot to no deal
    Exactly. Any deal the government brought back would be voted through by most Tories, Labour and Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

They'd brazen it out. "This is what the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom should have done. We told him that holding out gets results...."
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited October 2019

Very brave of you as a Tory voter in 2015, 2017 and likely in the next GE to put the responsibility for Brexit on those who have voted against the proposal (or will) and for another referendum....

The kind of taking responsibility for your own actions Johnson would be proud of. I just wonder how plausible you would find it if there was a Labour government putting through policies that the Conservatives didn't have the numbers to defeat or change and then blaming them on the Conservatives...

Pretty unlikely I reckon. You are happy to accept Brexit as the cost of voting Tory so wouldn't it be more honest to own that rather than try to blame your opponents because you want to shirk responsibility for Brexit.
  • Options

Trimble is UUP. The DUP hate the UUP. Bit like Monty Python.
    One of the unintended consequences of all of this could be a resurgent UUP; if the deal is as good for the NI economy as claimed.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Pulpstar said:

TudorRose said:

148grss said:

TudorRose said:

Yes but as I have just commented that GE or referendum has to pass tomorrow or evidence it would pass otherwise the EU will say 'non'
    The government is not in a position to offer a GE - referendum on the other hand ;-).
  • Options
    Extract on today's Court Case

But Gerry Moynihan QC for the UK government argued that the petition was beyond the competency of the court, saying it was inviting the court to “inhibit” consideration of the agreement. “This is a manifest attempt to interfere with proceedings in parliament,” he told Pentland. He added that a substantial part of Northern Ireland’s trade would remain part of the UK’s customs territory and therefore s55 would be complied with.

Moynihan also presented a letter from the Speaker’s counsel which warned that Maughan’s petition was asking for action that would “inevitably involve interference on proceedings in parliament and as a breach of the separation of powers.”

Good to see the Speaker standing up to the Courts
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896
    edited October 2019
    Gabs2 said:

Is it too simplistic to back the deal to fail at 1.8 and No Deal at 7.8? 67%ish book
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:
    He has made svery similar statements in the past - but eventually agreed to extensions. Not to be taken at face value.
  • Options

But Gerry Moynihan QC for the UK government argued that the petition was beyond the competency of the court, saying it was inviting the court to “inhibit” consideration of the agreement. “This is a manifest attempt to interfere with proceedings in parliament,” he told Pentland. He added that a substantial part of Northern Ireland’s trade would remain part of the UK’s customs territory and therefore s55 would be complied with.

Moynihan also presented a letter from the Speaker’s counsel which warned that Maughan’s petition was asking for action that would “inevitably involve interference on proceedings in parliament and as a breach of the separation of powers.”

O'Neill basically accepted that even he was right, the UK gov't could repeal s.55
    but the purpose of the hearing was to determine if it needed to.

Lol.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Quite. The EU, particularly Ireland, must be delighted. Even if we crash out at the end of the transition period (and it will be threatened again) NI and the Irish border are fully protected.

This deal is worse for the UK because it takes us in the direction of the fools gold of independent FTAs and a damaging of the supply chains to and from the EU. It's also worse for the UK if you are a unionist (which I'm not).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Except, Beth, any one EU leader can say "Sod it. That's it. No more extensions." And then that action by one becomes the EU's default position of the 27.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

They'd brazen it out. "This is what the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom should have done. We told him that holding out gets results...."
    Holding out won't get results if its going through either way without them.

Besides the Lib Dem byelection gain has anyone who voted for MV3 so far said they'd vote down Boris's deal?

MV3 was defeated by a majority of 58, lets say 60 due to the byelection. That would imply net 31 switchers necessary between May's MV3 and Boris's MV. That seems quite possible.
  • Options
    isam said:

Gabs2 said:

Is it too simplistic to back the deal to fail at 1.8 and No Deal at 7.8? 67%ish book
    Free money, no. Value? I think so.
  • Options
    Do we know why Macron has done this? Is it because they would prevent his "modernising" plans?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-enlargement-emanuel-macron-albania-north-macedonia-juncker-a9161536.html
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:
    He has made svery similar statements in the past - but eventually agreed to extensions. Not to be taken at face value.
    If the rabble alliance want to own no deal good luck to them
  • Options
    As soon as the Deal is passed and secured it wold be nice to have odds on the length of time until FTA is agreed and operative. Should offer some good chances for bettors.
  • Options

Very brave of you as a Tory voter in 2015, 2017 and likely in the next GE to put the responsibility for Brexit on those who have voted against the proposal (or will) and for another referendum....

The kind of taking responsibility for your own actions Johnson would be proud of. I just wonder how plausible you would find it if there was a Labour government putting through policies that the Conservatives didn't have the numbers to defeat or change and then blaming them on the Conservatives...

Pretty unlikely I reckon. You are happy to accept Brexit as the cost of voting Tory so wouldn't it be more honest to own that rather than try to blame your opponents because you want to shirk responsibility for Brexit.
    I have voted conservative all my life apart from twice for Blair and of course I support this deal as it fulfills my ambition to leave the EU without causing a no deal and respects the referendum

Corbyn could at this late stage put down a referendum amendment tomorrow and say he would campaign to remain but he is too much of a coward to make the decision and is going to pay a big price at the ballot box
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    We should all think about how we core
  • Options
    isam said:

Gabs2 said:

67% chance Macron is bluffing ?

Probably correct :)
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

No it doesn't. No he won't.
  • Options

Good stuff...this was clearly a step too far for lawyers interfering in politics.
This discussion has been closed.