Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s phantom majority: why we’re heading for a Christmas

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s phantom majority: why we’re heading for a Christmas election

Boris Johnson has a problem and it’s not the one that most of the Westminster Village spent yesterday pondering. It is, however, one that gives the lie to the aphorism of the PM’s namesake, the 36th president of the United States, that “the first rule of politics is that its practitioners need to be able to count”. It’s not: that’s the second rule. The first rule is that its practitioners need to understand the rules.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    This day is call'd the feast of the MV.
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
    And rouse him at the name of Brexit.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbors,
    And say "To-morrow is the anniversary of the MV."
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say "These wounds I had on MV day."
    Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words-
    Boris the King, Gove and the Moggster,
    Flint and Kinnock, Rory and Clarke-
    Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And the anniversary of the MV shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in Derry now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon MV day.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Second, like Remain.

Sadly they still haven't realised it....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited October 2019
    On topic, great, reasoned header from David. But I totally disagree.

The weariness with which the public express their desire to 'get Brexit done' combined with a desire amongst Labour Leave MPs, who are generally also moderates, to keep their seats in the next election, means Brexit will pass before the end of the month, or soon after. I'm not entirely sure we're likely to have an election before spring next year....

The Letwin amendment is an abomination. I truly hope it is rejected on the basis that it wrecks the whole purpose of the main motion. But suspect it won't be....
  • Options
    As usual a very good piece David. My real concern is that if MPs do not pass Boris' deal today, whether by an indicative vote or a binding vote, something tragic will happen in the weeks ahead. People are so fed up with politicians and so angry at their failure/refusal to carry out the decision in 2016 that I can see "Joe Cox Mark II" and we will see an MP or his/her family/staff/constituency offices subjected to criminal violence. I know that had I been in the room of the Liberal Party supporters who accused me of being "too thick, too rich or too poor" to understand what I was doing in voting for Brexit, I would have been very tempted to "punch out their lights".
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    The important thing is we must not have a November election. A few weeks ago, I cashed out a huge green position on November, and could not stand the buyer's remorse (or seller's remorse, or something).

I am no longer active in any of the Brexit markets, being too busy recently to follow closely developments. This experience makes me deeply sceptical of any of the polls.
  • Options
    On topic the Letwin amendment is a wreaking amendment and should really not be allowed by the Speaker. The point of this first Saturday sitting since 1982 is to have a meaningful vote in terms of s13 (1) (b) of the European Withdrawal Act 2018 which provides:
    "the negotiated withdrawal agreement and the framework for the future relationship have been approved by a resolution of the House of Commons on a motion moved by a Minister of the Crown,"

A resolution amended by the Letwin amendment will not meet that criteria which means that a decision has once again been avoided. That is unacceptable and defeats the purpose of this special meeting.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930

As usual a very good piece David. My real concern is that if MPs do not pass Boris' deal today, whether by an indicative vote or a binding vote, something tragic will happen in the weeks ahead. People are so fed up with politicians and so angry at their failure/refusal to carry out the decision in 2016 that I can see "Joe Cox Mark II" and we will see an MP or his/her family/staff/constituency offices subjected to criminal violence. I know that had I been in the room of the Liberal Party supporters who accused me of being "too thick, too rich or too poor" to understand what I was doing in voting for Brexit, I would have been very tempted to "punch out their lights".

I didn't think there were any Liberal Party supporters who posting here. Tories, Labour, ScotNat, LibDems, yes, plus some undeclared and/or voters, yes. But no Liberals.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Has Bercow actually accepted the Letwin amendment yet? I don't see how it can be interpreted as anything other than a wrecking amendment. It should be thrown out. But....it is so much easier for him to say "let the House take that decision".
  • Options

If Britain becomes that, it is dead.
  • Options
    Of course where David is undoubtedly right is that even if Boris can get his unlikely coalition over the line today he also has to hold it together for the approval of the Withdrawal Agreement Implementation Bill which would be tabled on Monday. That is quite an ask. It is very likely that the government will have given undertakings that that Bill will commit the UK to retaining EU employment and environmental standards to satisfy enough Labour MPs but it may also face amendments to have a confirmatory vote in the country (God knows when) and a series of other wreaking amendments. For a PM yet to win a single vote in the Commons since he was elected this is going to be challenging.

We're not there yet.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If the DUP were to vote for a referendum, we might have it.
  • Options

Leavers threatening violence again and pretending they think it will be tragic. Yawn. If your threshold for violence is so low, calm down, take a few deep breaths and think, see a therapist, or accept the consequences of your actions in a lawful society.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The weariness with which the public express their desire to 'get Brexit done' combined with a desire amongst Labour Leave MPs, who are generally also moderates, to keep their seats in the next election, means Brexit will pass before the end of the month, or soon after. I'm not entirely sure we're likely to have an election before spring next year....

The Letwin amendment is an abomination. I truly hope it is rejected on the basis that it wrecks the whole purpose of the main motion. But suspect it won't be....

I dont get why it wrecks the purpose of the motion if the the purpose is to approve the deal. Letwin will vote for the deal regardless. Labour MPs are more likely to vote for the deal with Letwin than not.

The difficulties for the govt with Letwin it seems are 1) It may make the PMs do or die pledge fail, but only technically by a few days, no big deal 2) give time for the ERG to get angry and withdraw their support, possible but unlikely.

Whats the big deal?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019

If Britain becomes that, it is dead.
    In a way it's slightly odd how most people continue to regard France as a very civilised country despite all the violence that has taken place at the Yellow Vest protests. The same is true of Barcelona and the protests that are taking place there at the moment. We note the violence in those places, but we don't really change our fundamental view of Barcelona or France because of them.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well at least they are onboard with the idea that Letwin is intended to give a chance to still fuck things up.....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Scott_P said:
    Well at least they are onboard with the idea that Letwin is intended to give a chance to still fuck things up.....
    Letwin has probably sunk Johnson's deal IMO.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Well, I'm confused.

It seems like Johnson's deal is both better than May's in that it includes an element of consent for Northern Ireland. But it's also worse, in that it effectively makes the temporary backstop permanent, and that it makes concessions designed to make a (frankly unlikely) UK-US FTA happen quicker.

Despite my misgivings, I'd vote for it.

But it appears that... Well... I don't really understand. What is going on?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So my view is that Letwin will pass as will the now amended motion.

That motion will no longer approve the deal.

Their Wil be carnage on the Betfair market. Far, far worse than the May exit date debacle.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Well if so, it is No Deal then, as the EU aren't in the mood to allow us to fuck about any more.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

Mortimer said:

I dont get why it wrecks the purpose of the motion if the the purpose is to approve the deal. Letwin will vote for the deal regardless. Labour MPs are more likely to vote for the deal with Letwin than not.

The difficulties for the govt with Letwin it seems are 1) It may make the PMs do or die pledge fail, but only technically by a few days, no big deal 2) give time for the ERG to get angry and withdraw their support, possible but unlikely.

Whats the big deal?
    The problem is the absolute lack of trust on all sides - which is of course the reason for Letwin’s amendment.
    That it is obvious that Letwin backs the deal, as will many others who back the amendment isn’t enough.

As David’s excellent header points out, reluctant backers of the deal are understandably unwilling to give Johnson a blank slate, particularly if it leaves open the possibility of No Deal. And Johnson doesn’t want anything less.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    Alistair said:

So my view is that Letwin will pass as will the now amended motion.

That motion will no longer approve the deal.

Their Wil be carnage on the Betfair market. Far, far worse than the May exit date debacle.

Do people (well, MPs) actually understand the amendment. The words 'withhold approval'. They've either not read it, or don't understand.
    And why is Letwin going around saying it supports the Deal, when clearly it does not?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    rcs1000 said:

Well, I'm confused.

It seems like Johnson's deal is both better than May's in that it includes an element of consent for Northern Ireland. But it's also worse, in that it effectively makes the temporary backstop permanent, and that it makes concessions designed to make a (frankly unlikely) UK-US FTA happen quicker.

Opposition MP's are basically putting their own political interests first.

They dont want Boris to have a "win".
  • Options
    If the Letwin amendment passes, and I fear it will, I think we are at risk of heading back to the courts yet again to determine whether the amended motion meets the criteria of s13 (1) of the 2018 Act that I quoted down thread. Is it approval or is it not? I don't think it is but Letwin claims otherwise.

Either way we have yet another mess. Really best avoided.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well, I'm confused.

Anyone who claims to know the answer to that has clearly not been giving the matter sufficient attention.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. JS, that's my suspicion too.

This Parliament should be called the Indecisive Parliament. Or the Faffing About Parliament.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Letwin's Deal actually is Johnson's Deal if you read it in full, it just wants the legislation for the Deal passes in full before the meaningful vote
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

A motto for Brexit
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    rcs1000 said:

Well, I'm confused.

The backstop has become a front stop ! And you’re right re an FTA with the USA but this also speeds up getting one with the EU. In Mays deal you would have effectively have to be guided by trying to remove the backstop which would have been very complicated .

The EU never liked the UK wide backstop . Checks at ports and airports are much less intrusive , I really don’t see any other solution . I wanted the UK to remain but I’d take the deal now . Not sure what’s going to happen with the Letwin Amendment though , there’s still a chance that might be pulled , it’s trying to be all things to all people .

I can understand there’s no trust between the ERG and the Tory rebels . I certainly don’t want to risk a no deal if they start playing games .

Perhaps the government might find a creative solution to assuage those concerns and put something forward to allow the amendment to be pulled .
  • Options
    The numbers are there now I think to pass the Boris Deal with the support of Tory rebels and Labour MPs from Leave seats.

The numbers are not there though for Boris to survive a VONC however as the DUP will now vote his Government down over their opposition to the terms of his Deal for NI.

Which also means likely a December general election
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Letwin's Deal actually is Johnson's Deal if you read it in full, it just wants the legislation for the Deal passes in full before the meaningful vote
    That is its intention. Boris and his supporters should accept that he has to do the detail in order to get his win.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

An old joke.

Q: Why do economists put decimal points in their forecasts?

A: To prove they've got a sense of humour.

(It would be nice if, like scientists, they stuck more error bars on things, but even that's more useful for collected data than for projections, where much of the uncertainty is inherently in the modelling methodology itself rather than in, say, sampling error.)
    I think it is the type of media, in which the results were originally reported, determine if just a point forecast or an interval is given. The science areticles were probably first released in an journal article or conference paper, many of the economic forecasts publish the margin of error/confidence interval but as the info is first relased to the press, they are not included in the press release.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    THe big one today, though, is Australia v England
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Alistair said:
    Former Ulster Unionist party leader Lord Trimble has backed the Boris Brexit Deal.

I prefer his view given it was Trimble who did the hard work for peace on the Unionist side in NI not the DUP who attacked him at every turn for betrayal, sound familiar?

Plus the UUP has historically been the sister party of the Tories, if the DUP now want to be the sister party of the Brexit Party after Paisley spoke at their rally yesterday that is up to them

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1185143273565966336?s=20

https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1185267521647198208?s=20
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If the Letwin amendment passes, and I fear it will, I think we are at risk of heading back to the courts yet again to determine whether the amended motion meets the criteria of s13 (1) of the 2018 Act that I quoted down thread. Is it approval or is it not? I don't think it is but Letwin claims otherwise.

It’s definitely not approval . It removes almost all the government motion . I don’t want to be arguing with a trained lawyer but I really can’t see how Letwin can say this approves the deal .
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    What happens if the Royal Mail go on strike during a General Election?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Good morning and happy Sitting Saturday PB! :D
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I can’t say I understand Letwin’s Amending Bill.

However, it is surely right that MPs, media, and the public actually have some time to consider the detail of Boris’s Deal.

Otherwise you are basically just saying that Boris’s ego is paramount.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

DavidL said:

It’s definitely not approval . It removes almost all the government motion . I don’t want to be arguing with a trained lawyer but I really can’t see how Letwin can say this approves the deal .
    I agree. It is a wreaking amendment that defeats the purpose of this sitting. It should be ruled out of order. If people wish to oppose the deal they should oppose the principal motion. We have had more than enough prevarication.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    alex. said:

The Tories who are most reliant on postal votes get stuffed
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited October 2019

alex. said:

How many times have you vosted Lib-Dem by post? :D
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    Good morning all.

The Letwin amendment in its own words withholds approval of the Boris deal which is now the central point of his government. He could not be blamed if he tells the HOC today that if Letwin passes he will resign on Monday and advise the Queen to invite the LOTO to try and form a government.
  • Options

However, it is surely right that MPs, media, and the public actually have some time to consider the detail of Boris’s Deal.

That is our current guiding principle.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    David, where do you think the majority for a referendum is coming from? People's Vote seem very sheepish.
  • Options

The 2018 Act provided for a minimum of 5 days to consider the WA before the MV. I am slightly surprised more is not being made of that given that this is a different deal from the one that Parliament has discussed before.
  • Options

alex. said:

No they don't as provided votes are postmarked as posted by polling day they still legally have to be counted even if they are only delivered a week later.

So just means some close seats may not see a final result for days after election night
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The 2018 Act provided for a minimum of 5 days to consider the WA before the MV. I am slightly surprised more is not being made of that given that this is a different deal from the one that Parliament has discussed before.
    That is an interesting point.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

No they don't as provided votes are postmarked as posted by polling day they still legally have to be counted even if they are only delivered a week later.

So just means some close seats may not see a final result for days after election night
    Who does the post marking...? In practice I assume the Govt would try to take out an injunction to prevent the strike?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    humbugger said:

Good morning all.

The Letwin amendment in its own words withholds approval of the Boris deal which is now the central point of his government. He could not be blamed if he tells the HOC today that if Letwin passes he will resign on Monday and advise the Queen to invite the LOTO to try and form a government.

Letwin should withdraw his amendment. It's completely unnecessary in its intended role, and will simply be hijacked in a way entirely contrary to Letwin's expressed views.
  • Options
    Deselected Tory MP Antoinette Sandbsch says she will vote for the Kyle amendment and EUref2 but will only vote for the Boris Deal if the Letwin amendment passed but she sees the Boris Deal as worse than the May Deal
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    This line is so ridiculous. It's not about having tine to discuss *brexit*, it's about having time to discuss *this specific deal*. They haven't had plenty of time to discuss that, they've had like literally a day, including a grand total of zero hours getting the relevant people in front of the committees whose job it is to question them about it and make sure nobody's missed anything important.

The Tories have spent the best part of three and a half years negotiating it with themselves, it's not unreasonable for the people who are supposed to be scrutinizing it to ask for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    The amendment says “ this House has considered the matter but withholds approval unless and until implementing legislation is passed “.

Am I missing something ! On what planet can this be seen to approve the deal .

I totally understand that MPs are concerned about passing the deal then the ERG playing games when it gets to the WAIB .

The concern for the government is that a majority today might not be there in a few days or weeks . And of course there will be more time for MPs to add on amendments .

I’d like to see a way of definitely stopping a no deal by accident and don’t trust the ERG but not sure what you do . Because the only legally binding thing to do that at the moment is the Benn Act staying in place for a while longer .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    The ERG are not going to be the problem today. Boris has held onto them. The problem is the DUP and/or getting more than 15 Labour MPs (assuming one or two of the whipless ex tories vote against such as Dominic Grieve).
  • Options
    Bugger. Ids is on r4 supporting the deal.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:
    The ERG are not going to be the problem today. Boris has held onto them. The problem is the DUP and/or getting more than 15 Labour MPs (assuming one or two of the whipless ex tories vote against such as Dominic Grieve).
    Provided the Government gets 10+ Labour MPs and the few Independents like Austin and Field who voted for May's Deal (to makeup for lost DUP votes) it should pass by 1 or 2 votes if the vast majority of Tory MPs and ex Tory MPs vote for it

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185273048351543297?s=20
  • Options
    I think it’s all falling apart . As I suspected many of the Tory rebels will not vote for the deal now until they have that extra insurance policy . And Hammonds comments will really concern the government.

And I’m sure the Tory MP John Barons comments will come back to haunt the government .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The amendment says “ this House has considered the matter but withholds approval unless and until implementing legislation is passed “.

I totally understand that MPs are concerned about passing the deal then the ERG playing games when it gets to the WAIB .

The concern for the government is that a majority today might not be there in a few days or weeks . And of course there will be more time for MPs to add on amendments .

I’d like to see a way of definitely stopping a no deal by accident and don’t trust the ERG but not sure what you do . Because the only legally binding thing to do that at the moment is the Benn Act staying in place for a while longer .

You could amend the Benn Act so that the letter has to be sent if the WAIB is not approved by next Friday. Seems a much easier way to resolve this but it may be too late.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Who does the post marking...? In practice I assume the Govt would try to take out an injunction to prevent the strike?
    Postmarks are now applied digitally by machines, not by hand.

Machines and computers do not go on strike
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100
    DavidL said:

Of course it's not approval. According to Letwin, it's meant to signify that approval isn't being given now, but will be forthcoming when the legislation has been passed.

No doubt if Letwin had wanted to say that explicitly he would have done. No doubt the reason he didn't was that he quite rightly doesn't trust Boris Johnson an inch, and was afraid that people like you would pop up and say that the Benn Act didn't apply because saying you will approve something in the future is tantamount to approving it now.

Despite the endless whining about this, the only practical effect is to trigger the Benn Act. Implementing the agreement can go ahead precisely as it would have done without the amendment, except that (if there is a majority for the deal) the meaningful vote will be done at the end of the process rather than the beginning.

Johnson will be legally obliged to request an extension, but of course the EU is at liberty to delay its answer until it's clear whether the WAIB is likely to pass. Even if they do offer an extension, if the legislation has been passed by the deadline we'll leave the EU this month. (If the legislation isn't passed by the deadline, all the sane ones among us will be fervently thanking Oliver Letwin for his foresight!)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    DavidL said:

nico67 said:

You could amend the Benn Act so that the letter has to be sent if the WAIB is not approved by next Friday. Seems a much easier way to resolve this but it may be too late.
    The problem is I’m not sure MPs can get through all the legislation in just 5 days but you have a good point . Perhaps Benn could offer this to the government but it still doesn’t help today because there wouldn’t be time to do that .

I think to be honest the whole thing has been rushed , I also blame the EU here in trying to railroad MPs into voting something through with so little time to scrutinize the legislation. Everything really goes back to Johnson’s pledge , he’s obsessed with it , I really don’t think it’s a big deal for a couple of extra weeks .
  • Options
    Mr. P, if Grieve gets his three-option referendum there'll be endless arguments about making it fair.

So it could well happen, given the Parliament we have.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The concern for the government is that a majority today might not be there in a few days or weeks . And of course there will be more time for MPs to add on amendments.

If you're concerned that a majority for the deal might be there today, but might not last long enough to pass the WAIB, then - unless you're happy with no deal - you should absolutely want the Benn Act triggered!
  • Options
    Chris said:

nico67 said:

The concern for the government is that a majority today might not be there in a few days or weeks . And of course there will be more time for MPs to add on amendments.

If you're concerned that a majority for the deal might be there today, but might not last long enough to pass the WAIB, then - unless you're happy with no deal - you should absolutely want the Benn Act triggered!
    Yes of course . I’m totally against no deal .
  • Options
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

Of course it's not approval. According to Letwin, it's meant to signify that approval isn't being given now, but will be forthcoming when the legislation has been passed.

No doubt if Letwin had wanted to say that explicitly he would have done. No doubt the reason he didn't was that he quite rightly doesn't trust Boris Johnson an inch, and was afraid that people like you would pop up and say that the Benn Act didn't apply because saying you will approve something in the future is tantamount to approving it now.

Despite the endless whining about this, the only practical effect is to trigger the Benn Act. Implementing the agreement can go ahead precisely as it would have done without the amendment, except that (if there is a majority for the deal) the meaningful vote will be done at the end of the process rather than the beginning.

Johnson will be legally obliged to request an extension, but of course the EU is at liberty to delay its answer until it's clear whether the WAIB is likely to pass. Even if they do offer an extension, if the legislation has been passed by the deadline we'll leave the EU this month. (If the legislation isn't passed by the deadline, all the sane ones among us will be fervently thanking Oliver Letwin for his foresight!)
    The practical effect is that another PM has agreed another deal with the EU that they are not entirely comfortable with and then failed to get it through the House of Commons. There is a real risk at that point that the deal falls apart. The EU will want evidence that this is actually going to happen. A decision not to have a decision yet is not that.

As I said it would have been better if it had been possible to amend the Benn Act but that would require primary legislation for which there is not time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

The practical effect is that another PM has agreed another deal with the EU that they are not entirely comfortable with and then failed to get it through the House of Commons. There is a real risk at that point that the deal falls apart. The EU will want evidence that this is actually going to happen. A decision not to have a decision yet is not that.
    Well, if there is a majority for the deal, they'll get that within a day or two when the WAIB is first voted on.

I cannot for the life of me see why people are making so much fuss about the Letwin amendment. If there is a majority for the deal, we shall be leaving the EU very soon. Perhaps by 31 October, perhaps a week or two later.

If there isn't a majority but if - as people seem to think - Johnson essentially has the support of his whole party, then we need to have an election first and I think he will win it decisively, and then we shall leave soon after the election. (I say that as someone who really doesn't want Johnson to win an election!)

• Options
    Let's test this a little bit further. Let's suppose that the ERG vote for the MV today but then decide to vote against the WAIB next week so as to artificially create a no deal scenario with no extension requested. That would not stop Boris sending a letter anyway. But there is no trust. So remainer MPs have to back the WAIB so that it passes regardless. But what if the government refused to move the bill if, for example, a confirmatory referendum was added? Surely the opposition could once again seize control of the order paper and pass it anyway. Enough Tories including the whipless wonders would support that.

I don't see how the ERG can force a no deal here. What would happen is that we would be committed to leaving on the WA. Which obviously sticks in the craw of many remainers.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    DavidL said:

Let's test this a little bit further. Let's suppose that the ERG vote for the MV today but then decide to vote against the WAIB next week so as to artificially create a no deal scenario with no extension requested. That would not stop Boris sending a letter anyway. But there is no trust. So remainer MPs have to back the WAIB so that it passes regardless. But what if the government refused to move the bill if, for example, a confirmatory referendum was added? Surely the opposition could once again seize control of the order paper and pass it anyway. Enough Tories including the whipless wonders would support that.

I don't see how the ERG can force a no deal here. What would happen is that we would be committed to leaving on the WA. Which obviously sticks in the craw of many remainers.

You are quite right. Letwin is not about preventing no deal. It's about delaying Brexit in the hope that something turns up to stop it altogether.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    ERG support is nailed on. Its the Labour MPs willing to vote for the deal that are key and they seem to be pretty quiet at the moment. TCTC.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

THe big one today, though, is Australia v England

With a great start from England!
  • Options
    Typically sleepy start by the convicts but on the matches to date they will improve. This is not over yet.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

What date goes on a postmark if letters are late in being collected from postboxes?
  • Options
    VinnyVinny Posts: 48
    Mr Herdson fails to recall the statement in an interview with Mr Letwin in these pages, that there will probably be no election until the Brexit question is settled. One thing is certain, Letwin has mucked up the the Government's strategy good and proper. The bill must be withdrawm and plan B, a clean break Brexit reintroduced. Immediately after the 31st the bill would probably sail through anyway.
  • Options
    Good morning

Looks as if most of the conservative party and independent conservative mps have come together and it is going to be a close vote. However, if the numbers are there why would those mps vote to wreck it with Letwin
  • Options
    If the vote passed and then the ERG wrecked the legislation Johnson would probably send the extension letter regardless of whether he was required to. And go for an election. The ERG would lose the whip.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Machines do not empty post boxes people do, post boxes get sealed in a strike the only solution would to take an injunction out but I Think the CWU would pullthe strike.
  • Options
    Vinny said:

Mr Herdson fails to recall the statement in an interview with Mr Letwin in these pages, that there will probably be no election until the Brexit question is settled. One thing is certain, Letwin has mucked up the the Government's strategy good and proper. The bill must be withdrawm and plan B, a clean break Brexit reintroduced. Immediately after the 31st the bill would probably sail through anyway.

What is this clean break brexit that you talk about? I know of no such thing
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

Mr. P, if Grieve gets his three-option referendum there'll be endless arguments about making it fair.

We don’t need a third option now the ERG and Leave EU are backing the deal.
  • Options

Good morning

Looks as if most of the conservative party and independent conservative mps have come together and it is going to be a close vote. However, if the numbers are there why would those mps vote to wreck it with Letwin

The argument (from those who are not wreckers) seems to be thatpassing the vote will negate the Benn Act. But legislation would still have to pass both Houses to avert no deal. And therefore the insurance would be lost. Don’t think it really holds together as an argument.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,498
    edited October 2019
    humbugger said:

DavidL said:

You are quite right. Letwin is not about preventing no deal. It's about delaying Brexit in the hope that something turns up to stop it altogether.
    This is correct. To be fair, this is a fight to the finish between two sides where only one can win and at the moment the Remain side mostly can't self identify as such. At this moment the only public weapon Remain have got is delay, and, to the surprise and shock of nobody, they are using it. Neither side is fighting under Queensbury rules - Boris is out defending that which recently he traduced with regard to NI; the ERG is doing the same because they can see that much further delay will abort their entire operation. Loads of Remainers are denying their real intention. Lots of Remainers voted for TMs deal as along as they knew it would lose, and so on and on. Remain are getting closer to succeeding every moment time passes and every time finality is deferred.

• Options
    Mr. Glenn, a legitimate argument, but Grieve's proposal is for a three-option referendum.

Of course, if presented together that would split the Leave vote. And if multi-stage, there'll be arguments about how that works too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

Mr. Glenn, a legitimate argument, but Grieve's proposal is for a three-option referendum.

Of course, if presented together that would split the Leave vote. And if multi-stage, there'll be arguments about how that works too.

Grieve’s argument was that you can’t leave off an option that has substantial support, but that’s no longer the case.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    edited October 2019

We don’t need a third option now the ERG and Leave EU are backing the deal.
    Remainers are terrified no deal is on the ballot and it is shameful that you think any referendum can be twisted and loaded in favour of remain

I do not agree with much Dominic says but on this he is spot on and it just demonstrates that any referendum with not be a walk in the park but it has to be honest
  • Options
    Vinny said:

• Options
    algarkirk said:

humbugger said:

DavidL said:

This is correct. To be fair, this is a fight to the finish between two sides where only one can win and at the moment the Remain side mostly can't self identify as such. At this moment the only public weapon Remain have got is delay, and, to the surprise and shock of nobody, they are using it. Neither side is fighting under Queensbury rules - Boris is out defending that which recently he traduced with regard to NI; the ERG is doing the same because they can see that much further delay will abort their entire operation. Loads of Remainers are denying their real intention. Lots of Remainers voted for TMs deal as along as they knew it would lose, and so on and on. Remain are getting closer to succeeding every moment time passes and every time finality is deferred.

The leavers are also coming together. The self indulgent nonsense that had the ERG opposing May's deal has gone. But this is a remainer Parliament. Always has been despite the lies they told at election time. TCTC.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Vinny said:

I do and it is madness
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    There is something delicious in seeing the DUP, having taken the strategically idiotic decision of going for Leave, now being hoist by their own petard and being cut loose by the Tories.

They should have listened to a few Irishmen: “You can’t trust the Brits.

Heart of stone .....
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    Is Corbyn in the Commons today?

Or is he, on the most important vote since.... well March I suppose... still dicking around in Liverpool?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

It’s quite simple
    1 do you wish to leave the EU
    yes or no

2 if there is a majority vote for leave then do you wish to
    Leave with the negotiated deal or
    Leave with no deal

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

The leavers are also coming together. The self indulgent nonsense that had the ERG opposing May's deal has gone. But this is a remainer Parliament. Always has been despite the lies they told at election time. TCTC.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185467216466206720
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Speaking as a former system administrator, I can tell you that computers do go on strike, generally when you've just arrived somewhere for a holiday and started on the gin. The system adminstrator can generally persuade them to resume operations, but that assumes the system administrators are not themselves on strike...
This discussion has been closed.