Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson complies with the surrender bill, ditches all ov

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson complies with the surrender bill, ditches all over the country are feeling lied to now

Like prorogation this looks like a classic Dom strategy but I expect Boris Johnson to be submissive to the courts early next week https://t.co/pwkQqnJYNp

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OMG is this a first?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Second.
  • Options
    I deserve an award for getting 'Dom' and 'submissive' in the same sentence.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    So this is meant to be the point where Brexiteers are furious and flock to the Brexit Party.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    The second was a covering letter, written by Sir Tim Barrow, the UK's Permanent Representative in Brussels, which made clear that the first letter was from Parliament, not the Government.

And the third was a letter from Mr Johnson, which was also sent to the leaders of the other 27 EU nations, in which he disavowed the first letter by making clear that he does not want any delay to Brexit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7592073/Boris-Johnson-sends-THREE-letters-EU-one-urge-Brussels-NOT-grant-delay.html
  • Options
    You have to love Boris! What a guy!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Going to court over a signature will be an utter waste of time, money and other resources. The Act requires the PM to send a letter. Not to sign a letter.

It does not preclude any other communication on the subject.

I have just looked at the text of the Act and nowhere does it require a signature.

I imagine the argument is over the spirit of it being frustrated, but Mr David Allen Green does not seem concerned, and in practical terms I cannot see what it alters when his view is very well known on the subject. He should have just sent the letter with nothing else and they'd have known it was under protest, so it was just for home consumption and meaningless it seems.

No doubt someone will pop up to suggest this is another reason for a potential Labour rebel to not vote for the deal legislation.
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

So why the Court case?

The court case was already underway, and the sender of that Tweet is not a judge in the Court of Session
    It was a rhetorical question really - the EU seem to have acknowledged the letter and will act up on it, nothing that happens in the court will change that unless you believe it will declare the way he sent the letter invalid and he has to send it again, delaying the official receipt of it by the EU so they cannot start to consider whether to grant it until they make their judgement on, what, Tuesday?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Artist said:

So this is meant to be the point where Brexiteers are furious and flock to the Brexit Party.

May not be as likely, given that it looks like parliament is yet again frustrating Brexit
  • Options
    Better change the headline until the court rules he has complied with the Surrender bill. It will change so much!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So BoZo sends a request for an extension, which he hasn't signed.

We will find out on Monday if he has complied with the law, and at some point whether the EU are willing to grant it or not.

Where his cunning plan might yet come unstuck is if BoZo gets VONCed.

He would no longer be PM, but his extension request would still be extant.

Not signing it would mean he can't revoke it...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    The PM is a child.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    BJ cannot really say Parliament is playing games and he is somehow above it by sending 3 letters! I thought he was supposed to be intellegent, not something he is showing by playing childish games with 3 letters! Do you trust BJ? No. :wink:
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

I deserve an award for getting 'Dom' and 'submissive' in the same sentence.

😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Don’t think this is going to generate the negative headlines for Johnson the Benn Act architects were hoping for 😉
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    Scott_P said:

So BoZo sends a request for an extension, which he hasn't signed.

We will find out on Monday if he has complied with the law, and at some point whether the EU are willing to grant it or not.

Where his cunning plan might yet come unstuck is if BoZo gets VONCed.

He would no longer be PM, but his extension request would still be extant.

Not signing it would mean he can't revoke it...

Wot?
  • Options
    I thought Boris was lazy , three letters in one evening after a working Saturday is some going.
  • Options
    This is a dead cat thing, right? It seems so utterly inconsequential but various bods will get worked up about Johnson not complying, when really it's just petty and the EU have treated it as complying regardless, and they know that the Parliament of the UK has asked for an extension.
  • Options
    Mercifully, I've been out of the house all day and have missed all the nonsense.

He's sent a letter but not signed it? Is that like 'I was present but I didn't lay a wreath'?

Dismal.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

You have to love Boris! What a guy!

Why?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    Johnson has complied with the law. It didn't require him to send it with flowers.
  • Options

I thought Boris was lazy , three letters in one evening after a working Saturday is some going.

And after the childcare cost too
  • Options

The PM is a child.

He is winding up a lot of people and winning lots of votes
  • Options

And after the childcare cost too
    Presumably his partner was not hogging his laptop!

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The EU have ‘received’ the request despite Boris’ silly little posturing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Johnson has complied with the law. It didn't require him to send it with flowers.

Can we amend the Benn Act so that he has to use the phrase pretty please
  • Options
    edited October 2019

The PM is a child.

It’s becoming more obvious the Benn Act was more to humiliate Johnson that anything else.

Seems its architects may have failed on that score.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Going to court over a signature will be an utter waste of time, money and other resources. The Act requires the PM to send a letter. Not to sign a letter.

I have just looked at the text of the Act and nowhere does it require a signature.

I imagine the argument is over the spirit of it being frustrated, but Mr David Allen Green does not seem concerned, and in practical terms I cannot see what it alters when his view is very well known on the subject. He should have just sent the letter with nothing else and they'd have known it was under protest, so it was just for home consumption and meaningless it seems.

No doubt someone will pop up to suggest this is another reason for a potential Labour rebel to not vote for the deal legislation.
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

So why the Court case?

The court case was already underway, and the sender of that Tweet is not a judge in the Court of Session
    It was a rhetorical question really - the EU seem to have acknowledged the letter and will act up on it, nothing that happens in the court will change that unless you believe it will declare the way he sent the letter invalid and he has to send it again, delaying the official receipt of it by the EU so they cannot start to consider whether to grant it until they make their judgement on, what, Tuesday?
    If he has sent a second or thirty second letter which seeks to frustrate the benn act he may well be in contempt of court but we will see
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The concern seems to be that he sent the letter in a childish and sullen way, making clear he personally and the government did not want to do it but were forced to by Parliament.

For one, that is an entirely accurate summary of what happened.

For two, the EU know that is an entirely accurate summary of what happened.

Is complying with an Act in sullen and childish fashion really frustrating it? It's petty, to be sure, but is grudging compliance really unlawful?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

The PM is a child.

It’s becoming more obvious the Benn Act was more to humiliate Johnson that anything else.

Especially as he now has a deal. It just looks like they are trying to block Brexit.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Despite being a Leaver, I must admit Boris's is being a cock here. The other leaders know his views. It's not like this will be a surprise.
  • Options

The PM is a child.

If they want to take charge of the process vis a vis our relations with external powers they'll need to install another Prime Minister.
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287
    Remainers lead by Grieve, Letwin, bercow, Benn, supported by Corbyn have totally abused and corrupted the process of parliament and cry like babies when its thrown back in their faces.

It will be the ultimate hoot if the arch Eurofile Macron kills their Hotel California dream.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    RobD said:

The PM is a child.

Especially as he now has a deal. It just looks like they are trying to block Brexit.
    This is the optics they are going for...that only one leader is trying to get brexit done.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

So why the Court case?

If he has sent a second or thirty second letter which seeks to frustrate the benn act he may well be in contempt of court but we will see
    Misconduct in public office perhaps as well. Someone should report him to the police on that!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

The concern seems to be that he sent the letter in a childish and sullen way, making clear he personally and the government did not want to do it but were forced to by Parliament.

Is complying with an Act in sullen and childish fashion really frustrating it? It's petty, to be sure, but is grudging compliance really unlawful?
    To be fair the act doesn’t stipulate he can’t do it in a sullen way. Perhaps Benn should have insisted Johnson affect a “ happy and co-operative tone” whilst submitting it. The width of his smile should have been stipulated also? 😀
  • Options
    Dear Don

When I said I would get this through Parliament I had my fingers crossed.

Jester
  • Options
    kle4 said:

This is a dead cat thing, right? It seems so utterly inconsequential but various bods will get worked up about Johnson not complying, when really it's just petty and the EU have treated it as complying regardless, and they know that the Parliament of the UK has asked for an extension.

And of course the more the opponents kick up a fuss and involve the courts again the more publicity Boris receives and is likely to gain many more votes

His opponents would be best advised to calm down

However, the three letters are very clever and no doubt this was all part of the gaming involving Cummings. No wonder remainers despise him
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,867

The PM is a child.

He has done minimum he needs to do , have to say the weak weirdos in Westminster need a good kicking. Hopefully EU will give them two fingers and the rats will have to make a decision next next week.
    I will miss all the excitement as I will be sunning my self on Lanzarote.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    How can the covering letters be declared unlawful? He can't unsend them and the court cannot compel the EU to disregard them.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    The EU would have been well aware either way that the extension request is coming from parliament and not him, so it doesn't really make any difference. Our fate rests in Macron's hands now.

If the deal passes, will we see an early election, as so many suggest? The line is already being stated that the deal is just a pathway to no deal, helped along by comments from various ERG MPs. So Labour can say no deal still not truly off the table yet. Not inconceivable that various excuses are found to delay an early election until Johnson's victory glow has faded at least (no winter election etc. public don't want one over xmas).

Governments only called elections when they thought it was good for them in the polls or when the term was up. Now that the opposition has that power, wouldn't the same logic apply?
  • Options
    Boris's letter says it is open to the Council to accede to the request mandated by parliament or to offer an alternative extension period, but that his view and the government position is that a further extension would damage the interests of the UK and the EU.

So he has not stated that the EU should ignore the letter from parliament, therefore how has he frustrated it? I'm more and more convinced this is just a distraction technique or cheap move to posture to his base rather than anything serious.
  • Options
    FPT
    stodge said:

Scott_P said:
    The Benn Act wasn't a problem. The government had a deadline of until today to get a deal and put it before Parliament, the government honoured its obligations, got a deal and put it before Parliament ...

... then Parliament decided 'oh shit, we didn't think you'd actually get a deal - well tough, we're not going to vote on it'.
    No, the problem was nobody trusted Johnson or Cummings not to try to engineer a No Deal Brexit via a fait accompli of not getting the WA through all the stages of the Commons and Lords.

Despite what you and others may think, Benn and in turn Letwin aren't about thwarting Brexit or defying the "will of the people". They are about preventing a No Deal crash out on 31/10 (for which there is no majority or mandate), whether accidental or engineered and ensuring the WA receives appropriate and proper scrutiny in Parliament.

In other words, MPs today did their job - represented the interests of the country and asserted their role in the scrutiny of legislation.

I still think a lot of people have been hoodwinked into believing we would leave the EU on 31/10 if the WA is passed - we won't. We enter a period of transition during which we not only remain a full member with all the obligations and commitments pertaining but we also have to negotiate a comprehensive future trade deal with the EU before 31/12/20.
    If Letwin and others didn't believe that, then on 29/9/19 if the WAIB hadn't been given royal assent yet they could have demanded Boris send an extension request or no confidenced him.

Or they could have not put down the 'get a deal' section of the Benn Act which Boris honoured but they refused to vote on.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    All of this is theatre. The EU knew the situation and it is improbable that all of these scenarios havent already been discussed when they were working on the new deal.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    rcs1000 said:

Despite being a Leaver, I must admit Boris's is being a cock here. The other leaders know his views. It's not like this will be a surprise.

At least he doesn't waste everyone's time with meaningless TV statements like his predecessor.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2019

All of this is theatre. The EU knew the situation and it is improbable that all of these scenarios havent already been discussed when they were working on the new deal.

I do wonder whether the EU leaders could have done BJ a favour by coming out very clearly "there can be an emergency one-week technical extension to make sure all the legislation required gets through the UK and EU parliaments, but that will be your lot". All this "no extension will be necessary" sounded a lot like "but truth be told, we'd probably grant an extension anyway, just don't want to be seen to say it".
  • Options
    Johnson has

i) Legally complied with the act
    ii) The EU will avoid "No Deal" I suspect
    iii) Turned the attempted humiliation aspect of the act (Yes it was always a factor in addition to avoiding "No Deal") back on Parliament.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The PM is a child.

He has done minimum he needs to do , have to say the weak weirdos in Westminster need a good kicking. Hopefully EU will give them two fingers and the rats will have to make a decision next next week.
    Have a great break Malc
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

So why the Court case?

The Scottish court took him on his personal word that he would obey the law and do nothing to frustrate the benn act. If he has done either of those things he will be in contempt of court. The ruling was quite specific that accepted the PMs undertakings that he would do neither and deferred decision till after the event
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

At least he doesn't waste everyone's time with meaningless TV statements like his predecessor.
    Those were the best bits! The anticipation, the confusion, the stunned reactions that a 30 second 'nothing has changed' was all that was said, the crest watching. Glorious times.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    If the EU accept the letter as an extension request then it is an extension request. Why is it in the interests of those wanting an extension to get the courts to rule that it is not an extension request?
  • Options

kle4 said:

And of course the more the opponents kick up a fuss and involve the courts again the more publicity Boris receives and is likely to gain many more votes

However, the three letters are very clever and no doubt this was all part of the gaming involving Cummings. No wonder remainers despise him
    Clever it's the kind of idea my 2 year old Grand Daughter might find funny.

I thought you were better than supporting this childish behaviour
  • Options
    alex. said:

If the EU accept the letter as an extension request then it is an extension request. Why is it in the interests of those wanting an extension to get the courts to rule that it is not an extension request?

Because he sent a second letter
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

kle4 said:

Your Johnson/Cummings infatuation is laughable.
  • Options

And the theatre will continue on Monday with someone complaining to the Court that he complied in a not correct way.

He's being a cock, but we know now he is not seeking to spring no deal on the country, can they please get back to discussing the deal?
  • Options

The EU would have been well aware either way that the extension request is coming from parliament and not him, so it doesn't really make any difference. Our fate rests in Macron's hands now.

If the deal passes, will we see an early election, as so many suggest? The line is already being stated that the deal is just a pathway to no deal, helped along by comments from various ERG MPs. So Labour can say no deal still not truly off the table yet. Not inconceivable that various excuses are found to delay an early election until Johnson's victory glow has faded at least (no winter election etc. public don't want one over xmas).

Governments only called elections when they thought it was good for them in the polls or when the term was up. Now that the opposition has that power, wouldn't the same logic apply?

Varadkar is a big player in this as well as Macron and remember they get on very well with Boris
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    alex. said:

Good evening all. Clearly Boris has sent an extension request in precisely the terms required by the Benn Act. I can't see what all the fuss is about.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Because the people who wrote it and enacted it wanted it to humiliate him and undermine him with the voters.

It now won’t. Sorry.
  • Options

the three letters are very clever

They have completely validated the Letwin vote.

You can't trust BoZo.

Parliament needs to pas ironclad laws that BoZo can't frustrate, wriggle out of, ignore, bypass, or break.

Classic Dom...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,527
    edited October 2019

Well he did crib the text of at least one of them....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

So why the Court case?

The Scottish court took him on his personal word that he would obey the law and do nothing to frustrate the benn act. If he has done either of those things he will be in contempt of court. The ruling was quite specific that accepted the PMs undertakings that he would do neither and deferred decision till after the event
    He has sent the letter. The extension request process is underway. What else was he required by law to do?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    dodrade said:

How can the covering letters be declared unlawful? He can't unsend them and the court cannot compel the EU to disregard them.

If there's a problem, it'll be that the Benn Act specifies not just that he sends a letter of specific wording, but that:

"The Prime Minister must seek to obtain from the European Council an extension..... "

They will try to argue that's he sabotaging it. Govt lawyers will argue that his duty under the act is fulfilled the moment he sent the letter.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited October 2019
    nichomar said:

alex. said:

Did the Benn act prohibit the PM writing letters other than those approved by Parliament? It’s as if people are talking as if Govt is still conducted in the 18th century
  • Options
    Remainers aren’t very bright are they? You can’t criticise the PM for failing to keep his promise not to extend, and hope Farage eats into his vote, if at the same time you’re going to court to argue he refused to ask for an extension and will do anything to secure Brexit.

Play to the remain gallery and you boost his support in his core. You crack on. An election is coming.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Clever it's the kind of idea my 2 year old Grand Daughter might find funny.

I thought you were better than supporting this childish behaviour
    I always get you two mixed up
  • Options
    nichomar said:

alex. said:

That does not answer why it is in their interests to get the court to rule so - such a judgement would resul tin what? The court sending the letter, which the EU already have, with a note saying this is the will of parliament, which Johnson already told the EU as well. Or it sends it with no note. Or it makes Johnson send it with no note, and that he physically sign it this time.

How do any of those options affect whether or not the EU accept the extension request, offer a new date, or say no?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    I don't see the problem with adding the covering letter, it doesn't actually contradict the actual request - if anything it confirms it, since he says it's up to the EU whether they grant the extension.

Not signing the formal request was wanky but a lot of things about brexit are wanky.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    Andrew said:

dodrade said:

If there's a problem, it'll be that the Benn Act specifies not just that he sends a letter of specific wording, but that:

"The Prime Minister must seek to obtain from the European Council an extension..... "

They will try to argue that's he sabotaging it.
    Well they'd be wrong, because the Act goes on to say...."by sending a letter". He's done that using exactly the wording required by the Act.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    edited October 2019

kle4 said:

I have to admit Boris has exceeded all my expectations and brought together my party.

I can understand some being upset that I am ready to rejoin as soon as he restores the whip to the rebels
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019
    A court can compel someone to do something but they can't compel the spirit in which they should do it. That's the stuff of totalitarianism.
  • Options
    Boris cares about Boris. Two articles on Brexit, three letters tonight, but always one ego.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I have to admit Boris has exceeded all my expectations and brought together my party.

I can understand some being upset that I am ready to rejoin as soon as he restores tge whip to the rebels
    If he needs to, he will throw you under a bus again.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

dodrade said:

They will try to argue that's he sabotaging it. Govt lawyers will argue that his duty under the act is fulfilled the moment he sent the letter.
    The sabotage argument is pretty weak when apparently if he'd sent no second or third letter he'd have been fine even though he's been yelling 'I don't want an extension EU, please do not grant one' on TV and on twitter for weeks or months. No no, the sabotage only really became effective in a letter which said 'Up to you, parliament wants this but but I don't'. Really?

Just call him a cock and move on, I say. The battle for Remain will be about votes for a referendum, or amending the WAIB so that the ERG reject it. Not this.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

The PM is a child.

Based on what evidence?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You can't trust BoZo.

Parliament needs to pas ironclad laws that BoZo can't frustrate, wriggle out of, ignore, bypass, or break.

Classic Dom...
    100% correct.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

The PM is a child.

Have a great break Malc
    Thanks G , I am looking forward to a relaxing break, taking daughter and grandchildren so be very pleasant. Off very early Tuesday.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    humbugger said:

Well they'd be wrong, because the Act goes on to say...."by sending a letter". He's done that using exactly the wording required by the Act.

I think you might be right. If the Benn Act had separated that into two sections it'd be stronger: ie a) the PM must seek an extension, AND must send a letter. The wording in a single sentence makes it seem like the two are the same.

No doubt govt lawyers have been over this pretty carefully.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Andrew said:

dodrade said:

<blockquote class="Quote" rel="

I looked up the definition of misconduct in public office and by sending the second and third letter you could argue he is not fulfilling his duties by trying to undermine the Benn letter. BJ might think he is being smart but all it takes is one MP to report him to the Police to start the ball rolling... 😉
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited October 2019

Varadkar is a big player in this as well as Macron and remember they get on very well with Boris
    Yes and it's not surprising, at least on a superficial level Boris clearly has charisma and is personable (not to mention Boris speaks French so probably helped him charm Macron, Juncker et al). Fair to say it's one of his big advantages over May.

I think the EU could offer an extension that complies with the Benn Act but stipulate that if legislation is passed the UK can leave as soon as it's ready. They did something similar with May already.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

I can understand some being upset that I am ready to rejoin as soon as he restores tge whip to the rebels
    You seem upset
  • Options
    Andrew said:

dodrade said:

If you include the full section, it rather undermines the point you were attempting to make

"The Prime Minister must seek to obtain from the European Council an extension of the period under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union ending at 11.00pm on 31 October 2019 by sending to the President of the European Council a letter in the form set out in the Schedule to this Act requesting an extension of that period to 11.00pm on 31 January 2020"

Which is exactly what he has done - in the very precise form set out in the Schedule (which does not include a signature)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/26/enacted
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You can't trust BoZo.

Classic Dom...
    Parliament can't.

If they want rid of Boris, if they want one of them to be PM, if they want to control executive action then they should pass a VoNC.

Otherwise Boris is PM and is perfectly within his rights as PM to exercise his authority or say his opinion or take any political decision he chooses.
  • Options
    What is wrong with you @Big_G_NorthWales? Why have you suddenly started drinking the Cummings Kool-Aid? Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

So why the Court case?

Yes, but the question is how has his being petty and childish frustrated the Act? If he'd sent it like a grown up they'd know from his previous words he did not want it, so how does a letter also saying so frustrate the Act?
  • Options

kle4 said:

You are a pompous ass.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I can understand some being upset that I am ready to rejoin as soon as he restores the whip to the rebels
    Which rebels?

Anyone who votes for the deal, especially if they didn't vote for Letwin, can and should get the whip back.

Anyone who votes against his deal has chosen their own path. Goodbye.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

The same government lawyers who told BoZo he could unlawfully prorogue Parliament
  • Options

What is wrong with you @Big_G_NorthWales? Why have you suddenly started drinking the Cummings Kool-Aid? Nothing has changed.

Boris got a deal. That part has changed.
  • Options

Andrew said:

dodrade said:

Andrew said:

dodrade said:

I looked up the definition of misconduct in public office and by sending the second and third letter you could argue he is not fulfilling his duties by trying to undermine the Benn letter. BJ might think he is being smart but all it takes is one MP to report him to the Police to start the ball rolling... 😉
    The Police would not take any such complaint seriously. There is nothing that has been done tonight that is in any way in contravention of what was required of him under the Act.
  • Options
    Has anyone else even been forced to send a letter? My Mum used to force me to write to a pen pal at one stage of my early teen years- I might have signed it
  • Options
    Cough *Padfield*
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Andrew said:

The same government lawyers who told BoZo he could unlawfully prorogue Parliament
    He never unlawfully prorogued Parliament. Get your facts straight.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The PM is a child.

Have a great break Malc
    Thanks G , I am looking forward to a relaxing break, taking daughter and grandchildren so be very pleasant. Off very early Tuesday.
    Fabulous to have your family and especially grandchildren with you.

I wish you all a super holiday.

My youngest son and his partner with their two children were in Lanzarotte in June and they had a wonderul time
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris got a deal. That part has changed.
    We already had a deal. It doesn’t matter.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

To be fair the act doesn’t stipulate he can’t do it in a sullen way. Perhaps Benn should have insisted Johnson affect a “ happy and co-operative tone” whilst submitting it. The width of his smile should have been stipulated also? 😀
    The bill actually expressed the exact form of the letter all he had to do was sign it. It’s all a little silly the big issue is actually what happens in 14 months time which is gaining no traction. You’re being conned the Uber rich are going to piss all over everybody as they laugh all the way to the bank. But you can’t and won’t see it, enjoy you’re sovereignty and a venture capitalist driven conservative Britain.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Does the Benn Act say that Boris has to ACCEPT any offer of any extension?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

You seem upset
    Frustrated that a very clever, cunning but entirely dishonourable and destructive man prospers and that decent men like you fall for it. One day he will get his comeuppance. I hope the damage he does is not too great until then.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    No only if it is to 31/1 otherwise it has to come back to the commons
This discussion has been closed.