Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The loss of DUP support means Johnson needs to make 10 more ga

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The loss of DUP support means Johnson needs to make 10 more gains from LAB to stay at Number 10

The most significant, though, hardly surprising development during Saturday’s special Brexit debate was that the DUP with its ten MPs has totally switched to opposing the government. It is hard to see how that can be changed certainly by the current PM.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Erste
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Its doable.

And we shall probably find out as the DUP bring him down in a few weeks if the bill looks like passing.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited October 2019
    Have the DUP (or do they have to) officially backed out of the confidence bit of their agreement with the Conservatives? It’s a contract is it not?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    FPT
    148grss said:
    There will be hundred of gotchas like this and I suspect a lot of people are going to find ones that they really dislike.
  • Options
    I get a sense that Boris has the momentum and he is taking the Country with him

5 live did a vox pop this morning from London and everyone interviewed was furious demanding the mps get this done. The following phone in mirrored the London vox pop and it did surprise me as you would expect some dissenting voices especially in London

The media highlighting Labour's furious attempts to derail the deal is just bad politics

Labour are in danger of turning brexit into their poll tax

I understand the one nation conservatives are now firmly in the Boris camp so we have the extraordinary fact that Boris has united all parts of the party and which is in fine shape for a GE
  • Options
    148grss said:

kle4 said:

148grss said:
    Hes right, although people don't seem to have a problem pronouncing on the implications and thus overall worthiness of the bill sooner than 2 weeks when they already oppose it.
    But you can oppose the bill because you can't understand it's implications. "I refuse to vote for a thing we cannot currently comprehend" is a good reason to not vote for a thing.
    That depends if the lack of understanding is genuine or an excuse.

I imagined plenty of it is genuine, but also that plenty will not be
    eek said:

FPT

148grss said:
    There will be hundred of gotchas like this and I suspect a lot of people are going to find ones that they really dislike.
    The majority for the bill will probably be gone by next week, best case scenario was a win by around 5-20(only seen the latter on here). Easy to chip away.
  • Options
    eek said:

FPT

148grss said:
    I am sure you are right but do you really think that any of this is going to stop brexit
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    On the latest polling the Tories will pick up enough Labour Leave seats to get a majority without the DUP anyway to ensure the Boris Deal is delivered.

The DUP also only represent a minority of Northern Ireland voters concentrated mainly in Antrim, the polls show most Northern Ireland voters want to avoid a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland as the Boris Deal does
  • Options

kle4 said:

148grss said:
    Hes right, although people don't seem to have a problem pronouncing on the implications and thus overall worthiness of the bill sooner than 2 weeks when they already oppose it.
    Examples of such people include Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg who within 5 minutes of their leaders WA (95% the same as their one) managed to work out how terrible they thought it was. Nothing to do with their own ambitions for the top jobs of course......
    Absolutely, they behaved disgracefully. Their opponents employ the same tactics and that's crappy too.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019
    Looks like the Canadian opinion polls underestimated the Conservatives by around 3 percentage points, which is right on the edge of their margin of error.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 86
    I think that there is some unrealistic optimism in the Tory ranks at the moment. They may well push their deal through but the reality is that it is a really bad deal. It creates a huge division in the country and that is not just about the Irish Sea. They may push it through and then they may even sneak an election victory (even with a majority) but then what? The cannot hide the catastrophic nature of the deal for very long. As it becomes more and more clear that the fantasy people thought Brexit would be is not being delivered I can only see them becoming more and more unpopular. The irony is that they will try and play the 'we must all work together to get this to succeed' card. But with them having been the architects of the divisions in the UK that is likely to fall on very deaf ears. I must admit I had been hopeful of the UK finding a way to heal the wounds created by the Tories (and particularly the ERG). But they have continued to pursue a policy of seeking to divide and rule which will split the country even further and is ultimately likely to result in the end of the United Kingdom. Are there any odds anywhere on the UK of England, Wales, Scotland and NI still exiting as a United Kingdom in 2025? It might be worth a punt.
  • Options
    I assume that if a customs union and referendum both fall then that ends any hope of either if you judge it by Bercow's standard yesterday
  • Options

eek said:

FPT

148grss said:
    I am sure you are right but do you really think that any of this is going to stop brexit
    Possibly. The bill vote will be tight, Boris needs to be lucky and clever.
  • Options

eek said:

FPT

148grss said:
    No - I think the following is inevitable.

Brexit will occur.
    NI will discover they will be better off in Ireland and as part of the EU so there will be a border poll and it will be carried.
    Scotland will leave as soon as possible - probably in the first Government after the Tories lose power.

As for the Tories getting a majority in the next election - nope, once we've left politics will move on and Boris's "success" won't carry to an election.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    HYUFD said:

On the latest polling the Tories will pick up enough Labour Leave seats to get a majority without the DUP anyway to ensure the Boris Deal is delivered.

The DUP also only represent a minority of Northern Ireland voters concentrated mainly in Antrim, the polls show most Northern Ireland voters want to avoid a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland as the Boris Deal does

It's fantastic having an expert in Northern Ireland affairs and politics here on this board. Your years of study and experience are very much appreciated on this topic.
  • Options
    I suspect that Boris has lost momentum - and he will lose the timetable vote today. It looks more and more likely that we will have a 2nd referendum.

I am looking forward to Bill Cash having to vote to unrepeal the European Communities Act.

We cannot continue like this.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Would the DUP really acquiesce in putting Corbyn or McIRA into Downing Street?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I assume that if a customs union and referendum both fall then that ends any hope of either if you judge it by Bercow's standard yesterday

Yep - if an amendment isn't added to the act, you cannot try to add the amendment a second time.

I actually think the referendum and CU amendments will both fail but equally I don't think the Act will pass - Boris doesn't have the numbers.

However, were a referendum to be added to the Act it would pass as Labour would be both able and required to support it.
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287
    It wasn't a mistake, it was a decision made as the requests from the DUP were unmeetable. A judgement call.

The current paralysis of government and parliament is not sustainable and will have to end soon.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited October 2019
    eek said:

As for the Tories getting a majority in the next election - nope, once we've left politics will move on and Boris's "success" won't carry to an election.

I agree things will move on but Jeremy Corbyn will still be unbelievably unpopular and Boris Johnson is still better at politics than Theresa May, so I don't think moving on from Brexit would change the outlook much.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    eek said:

FPT

148grss said:
    Well then, parliament should probably spend time combing through the legislation so they are at least aware of all the gotchas before they become law. Most legislation has unintended consequences; this would be legislation passed that was mostly unintended consequences.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited October 2019
    Fishing said:

The DUP made the former IRA Chief of Staff Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland, so the answer to your question is yes.
  • Options
    FPT
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

The proposed method of the Union which would allow NI in both parts of GB and EU will end up tearing up the Union as Scotland is directly disadvantaged by such a deal, and would likely leave the UK to rejoin the EU. I also think a border down the Irish Sea makes Irish reunification more likely.

Wrong. The only polls putting Yes ahead in Scotland are with No Deal which the Boris Deal avoids, indeed the latest polling has only a minority of Scots opposed to the Boris Deal.

In Northern Ireland meanwhile the only polls giving a majority for a united Ireland are in the event of a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, which the Boris Deal also avoids.
    Once the economic imbalance of NI v Scotland come into focus, I think Scotland will vote to leave. I also think that polls are snapshots of the current state of play, not necessarily immutable positions; as some politicians put it targets to beat, not reality to meet. That's what campaigns are for.

Indyref 2 will not have Cameron heading the "Stay together" campaign, and Labour will be unwilling to work with Conservatives on the issue. Johnson, Mogg and the current crop of leading Tories will not have the Cameroonian disposition to sway a certain section of swing voters.

If Scotland leaves the Union, the Northern Irish question becomes more existential; is the Union still the Union without Scotland? I think that question alone will lead to a border poll; add onto it any of the myriad externalities created by Brexit, and I think it is fair to say the Union is odds on to be 2 countries down within my lifetime.
  • Options

I suspect that Boris has lost momentum - and he will lose the timetable vote today. It looks more and more likely that we will have a 2nd referendum.

I am looking forward to Bill Cash having to vote to unrepeal the European Communities Act.

I still think a general election is more likely than a second referendum.
  • Options

eek said:

I agree things will move on but Jeremy Corbyn will still be unbelievably unpopular and Boris Johnson is still better at politics than Theresa May, so I don't think moving on from Brexit would change the outlook much.
    It's a timing thing - an election in the next 6 months probably gives Boris a majority, post June as things carry through I suspect Boris will become more and more unpopular.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

FPT

148grss said:

Brexit will occur.
    NI will discover they will be better off in Ireland and as part of the EU so there will be a border poll and it will be carried.
    Scotland will leave as soon as possible - probably in the first Government after the Tories lose power.

It will be the Churchillian thing for Johnson; win the war and lose the peace.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    If Parliament wants time to scrutinize the bill, fine. All night sittings should offer plenty of time.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

If Parliament wants time to scrutinize the bill, fine. All night sittings should offer plenty of time.

No it doesn't - that just provides time to talk about it not to think about it - and this is a bill that has nasties that have been kept hidden from us (and MPs) for nearly a year now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's difficult to concentrate when you haven't slept.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Fishing said:

The DUP are in an impossible position and are running out of friends. In fact they support Remain, but expect everyone else to achieve it for them while they pretend to support a deal - never spelling out what a satisfactory deal would look like. Only Remain stands much chance of preserving the status of NI as part of the UK - the GFA giving the DUP the best of all possible worlds.

United Ireland here we come. For myself I support it.

• Options

The possibility of a referendum is rapidly receding as it does not have the numbers to pass. No conservative will vote for it, nor upto 30 labour mps, and the DUP are very opposed notwithstanding their falling out of Boris

Furthermore, the EU would need to give permission for a referendum which would need to go to Summer 2020. Furthermore you have to have a compliant majority government to get the legislation through and 22 weeks is needed to undertake the campaign

I was embroiled in a discussion last night when I suggested no deal would have to be on the ballot. The cry of dismay from remainers was predictable but never forget Farage and TBP policy is no deal and they have 29 MEPs voted for by over 5 million
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

After being such an advocate for the views of the Unionist minority in NI, you're now chucking them under the bus. I wonder what can have caused this volte-face?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

After being such an advocate for the views of the Unionist minority in NI, you're now chucking them under the bus. I wonder what can have caused this volte-face?
    From forced relocation, to "ah fuck em", in a mere matter of days.
  • Options
    These MPs calling for extra time for "scrutiny", how many of them have a greater than zero chance of changing their mind on which way to vote? I would suggest almost certainly none at all, so why not have the vote now? It's been 3 and a half fecking years

GET ON WITH IT
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

This is exactly backwards

Brexit is BoZo's poll tax.

He owns it, 100%. If it happens (I think it will), he will own the subsequent fall out.

Brexit will be at least as despised as the Poll tax, and the Tories will suffer for it.
  • Options
    Private Eye nails it again, sadly.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

He owns it, 100%. If it happens (I think it will), he will own the subsequent fall out.

Brexit will be at least as despised as the Poll tax, and the Tories will suffer for it.
    It may and it may not. We cannot know how this pans out but we must leave and this is the deal that stops no deal
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited October 2019
    Question: If MPs attempt to amend the deal so that it is subject to a confirmatory referendum, and assuming this amendment passes, what then?

Am I correct in thinking that a referendum has to be part of primary legislation which can only be forwarded by the government of the day?

Putting it another way: for there to be a referendum requires the government to want one.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    There's only one thing I'm sure of. There won't be another referendum. Anything else is possible though.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    148grss said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

The proposed method of the Union which would allow NI in both parts of GB and EU will end up tearing up the Union as Scotland is directly disadvantaged by such a deal, and would likely leave the UK to rejoin the EU. I also think a border down the Irish Sea makes Irish reunification more likely.

Wrong. The only polls putting Yes ahead in Scotland are with No Deal which the Boris Deal avoids, indeed the latest polling has only a minority of Scots opposed to the Boris Deal.

In Northern Ireland meanwhile the only polls giving a majority for a united Ireland are in the event of a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, which the Boris Deal also avoids.
    Once the economic imbalance of NI v Scotland come into focus, I think Scotland will vote to leave. I also think that polls are snapshots of the current state of play, not necessarily immutable positions; as some politicians put it targets to beat, not reality to meet. That's what campaigns are for.

Indyref 2 will not have Cameron heading the "Stay together" campaign, and Labour will be unwilling to work with Conservatives on the issue. Johnson, Mogg and the current crop of leading Tories will not have the Cameroonian disposition to sway a certain section of swing voters.

If Scotland leaves the Union, the Northern Irish question becomes more existential; is the Union still the Union without Scotland? I think that question alone will lead to a border poll; add onto it any of the myriad externalities created by Brexit, and I think it is fair to say the Union is odds on to be 2 countries down within my lifetime.
    Your reasons for supposing that Scotland will leave the UK are a bit off to say the least. Firstly, you criticise polling - but polls are the only reason people think there's a chance that Scotland will leave. Secondly, the idea that Cameron swung Scotland against leaving is risible. Wisely, he kept well out of the campaign, only making one speech before an invited audience. Johnson, for all his faults, has an optimistic vision for the UK, which is something that Cameron never had.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Question: If MPs attempt to amend the deal so that it is subject to a confirmatory referendum, and assuming this amendment is passes, what then?

Am I correct in thinking that a referendum has to be part of primary legislation which can only be forwarded by the government of the day?

Putting it another way: for there to be a referendum requires the government to want one.

If a referendum passes Boris will withdraw the bill

However, the numbers are not there and it is generally accepted that it will not pass
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited October 2019
    Scott_P said:
    I hope the Tories never again have the brass neck to go on about the value of 'the UK single market'. They will of course.
  • Options

this is the deal that stops no deal

It isn't, and doesn't.

Apart from that...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Re Canada & Trudeau's loss of the popular vote.

The trajectory of the Canadian Liberals provides an instructive exercise as to why parties in favour of reforming the electoral system to proportional representation change their minds when in power.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Scott_P said:

It may and it may not. We cannot know how this pans out but we must leave and this is the deal that stops no deal
    It really isn't. Why do you think the ERG are delighted? Within a year we could be out completely with no agreements.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited October 2019
    Scott_P said:

this is the deal that stops no deal

It isn't, and doesn't.

Apart from that...
    It stops no deal on the 31st. As far as the end of the transistion that is a matter for a new government, as this bankrupt HOC will be a distant bad memory
  • Options

I hope the Tories never again have the brass neck to go on about the value of 'the UK single market'. They will of course.

Ummm, this proves the point...

NI are being annexed from the UK single market, and their costs are going to rise significantly.

You are right that it would be hypocritical of Tories to claim this is not a bad thing
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    If the gov loses amendments on CU and second ref the bill will be pulled. If they win on those amendments they will face a VONC.

I speculated the labour leavers would abstain at least for now given they are possibly ending their careers to back the bill but everyone seems certain they'll back the party in a VONC.

Meaning is there any chance of the bill passing? If amended cons will drop it. If not amended the opposition have to no confidence the Gov even if they fear an election - their base will not forgive Brexit happening.
    I am not at all sure a vonc would pass when that would delay brexit

The fury in the country would be uncontained and labour decimated
    If the votes are there for the bill a VONC is the last roll of the dice for remainers. While the timetabling is dumb and sure to fail, I can see the appeal as we get to see if any of the amendments will fly this week.

As it is end of November looks like the earliest possible leave date? They're going to be discussing this for bloody weeks at least.
    It needs to be scheduled in Parliament for twelve hours a day, six days a week until it's done. Let those who are just playing for time actually turn up and debate the Bill.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Big_G_NorthWales said:
    "this is the deal that stops no deal"

"It isn't, and doesn't.

Apart from that..."

This is the deal that stops us leaving without a withdrawal agreement.
  • Options

It stops no deal on the 31st.

We are not leaving on the 31st.

BoZo has requested an extension to Article 50
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I said last night this was the section that would stop the bill passing.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    Scott_P said:

Agreed. Sad to say I think Big_G’s Tory tribalism has reasserted itself.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ummm, this proves the point...

NI are being annexed from the UK single market, and their costs are going to rise significantly.

You are right that it would be hypocritical of Tories to claim this is not a bad thing
    'A bad thing' which they want to enact, largely supported by the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party. Marvellous stuff.

https://twitter.com/Jackson_Carlaw/status/1186291218831024130?s=20
  • Options

Stocky said:

Question: If MPs attempt to amend the deal so that it is subject to a confirmatory referendum, and assuming this amendment is passes, what then?

However, the numbers are not there and it is generally accepted that it will not pass
    This bill also won't pass. See TSE's post below and you will see that it merely delays No Deal by 15 months.

No party and I suspect most of the Tory rebels are not going to support that clause.

So once again we are in limbo but it's now certain Bozo can't be trusted.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Scott_P said:

It stops no deal on the 31st.

We are not leaving on the 31st.

BoZo has requested an extension to Article 50
    If the HOC stops prevaricating we leave on the 31st October.

If the EU require a technical extension then that is not a problem

You and others think that if Boris misses the 31st he will have lost but in fact, as has just been said on Sky, he has succeeded in the eyes of the public and that it is the HOC, the elite and the judiciary who are to blame.

Remainers thought Boris sending the Benn letter would humiliate him but it has not had any effect.

I do not like Cummings one little bit but he has wargamed this to perfection
  • Options

Your reasons for supposing that Scotland will leave the UK are a bit off to say the least. Firstly, you criticise polling - but polls are the only reason people think there's a chance that Scotland will leave. Secondly, the idea that Cameron swung Scotland against leaving is risible. Wisely, he kept well out of the campaign, only making one speech before an invited audience. Johnson, for all his faults, has an optimistic vision for the UK, which is something that Cameron never had.

Cameron and Cameroonism was always a "metropolitan" conservatism; the modernising of the Conservative party that Cameron envisaged is one that could (and did) encompass everyone from Blairites, Orange Bookers all the way to, well, Jacob Rees Mogg. The Tory party attempted to leave behind / atone for the culture wars of the past, whether it be LGBT rights with equal marriage, whilst doubling down on their economic vision of a small government.

That attempt at a broad church is arguably why the Conservatives have improved in Scotland, with Ruth attempting to thread that same needle (which she couldn't continue under Johnson). They became the acceptable unionist party of Scotland because of that; it wasn't just Labour losing the left to the SNP as the LDs and Lab lost their centres to the Tories.

Johnson and Co do not sell this. Patel's hang em and flog em attitude may make some typical Labour voters happy, but I doubt it will win them votes, especially in Scotland. JRM is just... unsatirisable. Gove, Raab, Leadsom, etc. These are not people who will authentically be accepted as the face of a "modern" Conservative party.

Laissez-faire unionism kept the UK happy. A "positive" view of the Union is usually one that ignores many of the things England did to make and keep that Union together which the other members dislike. That is more risible to some than a general attitude of "if it ain't broke". Now the Union is faced with untenable tension, and something will have to give.
  • Options
    eek: "This bill also won't pass."

Ok - you`re probably right - so what then?

EU haven`t yet granted an extension. If they don`t grant one MPs will have, in effect, voted for No Deal.

If the EU does grant an extension to 31/1 then we`ll be having the same conversations in 3 months` time.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, if Johnson can keep the polls roughly as they are - and if there's a Brexit election, that's likely, in my opinion - then there's every chance of the Tories making those gains.

As Mike says, Tory voters feel strongly about Brexit. That's very likely to keep 30%+ in the Tory column. With a Brexit party to squeeze (check out the preferred PM figures), and a Labour leader to lampoon, there's a good chance of that pushing up to 35% and a possibility of hitting 40%.

By contrast, the most remarkable feature of a year of extraordinary polling movements has been Labour's loss of at least two-fifths of their vote. Their highest vote share this year was 41%. They're now trundling along in the mid-20s.

If those are the election results then there'll be a *lot* of Con gains in the Midlands, North, Wales and less prosperous southern towns. After all, if the Tories underperform in some seats where there's a strong LD or SNP showing, that means they must overperform elsewhere. (Although note that there's a huge, if probably largely notional, Con-LD swing anyway which would always make itself felt in Con-LD marginals).

Mike's right that the Tories have no parliamentary friends left, which is an entirely unsurprising Classic Dom. But the other thing that's Classic Dom is that he does tend to win public votes.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

FPT

148grss said:

Brexit will occur.

If the Scots and NI were to leave then the Tories would be going into the election holding a majority.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

Agreed. Sad to say I think Big_G’s Tory tribalism has reasserted itself.
    The party has re-united and so I of course I will rejoin. Boris has achieved a deal and stops no deal on the 31st . That was my demand and it was why the sacking of the 21 prompted my resignation.

All but three of them are now firmly behind Boris so why would I not be happy to see my party unite
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287

Scott_P said:
    Yet again, idiot mp's who don't understand how to negotiate. There has to be the ability to walk away from a proposed deal if it's a bad deal. That's what this clause is about.

Secondly, if there isn't an election by the end of 2020, this dead parliament will have crumbled into irrelevant dust. Labour will be in power after an election, won't they and be able to use their expert negotiation skills to get a great deal!
  • Options
    eek said:

Stocky said:

This bill also won't pass. See TSE's post below and you will see that it merely delays No Deal by 15 months.

No party and I suspect most of the Tory rebels are not going to support that clause.

I do not agree. The bill will pass
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    The "No Deal in 2020" meme is setting in. This is a great way for deal opponents to scare potential supporters in Labour, and to turn fatigued remainer public opinion against it. Couple that with removal of Level Playing field requirements and Labour should find enough momentum on this. As others have said, the longer the process drags on, the easier it is to pull at every loose thread on the deal until it unwinds entirely. As it stands it looks like Boris does have enough to get it through eventually, but as things drag on, could easily begin to unravel entirely.

Seems like one of the easiest amendments to pass would be something saying the transition period should be immediately extended to 2021/2022. That could get a lot of cross party support. This parliament does love asking for more time after all
  • Options
    edited October 2019

eek said:

Stocky said:

So you think some none Tory MPs are going to vote for Clause 30 and No Deal in 15 months?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    HYUFD said:
    I cannot believe it - it's trudeau! Boom!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

So you think some none Tory MPs are going to vote for Clause 30 and No Deal in 15 months?
    Yes.

There are enough who want this over from leave seats and who have had a really bad reaction from their constituents

It has gone beyond reason and you can argue that is wrong but it is public opinion that is driving this now
  • Options
    eek said:

Stocky said:

No Deal is already statute, it always must be if there's an expiry date. In future if Parliament wishes to delay No Deal again it can pass another Benn Act demanding an extension letter be sent.
  • Options
    And Boris will own the cluster***k that is No Deal and will be unable to blame anyone but himself.

Boris needs to keep this bill in Parliament as if he doesn't he will have no one to blame - and as with everything to do with Brexit the only game in town is ensuring someone else can be blamed for the result.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Why not? Clause 30 is no different to Clause 50(3) . . . if Parliament wants an extension it can demand one via the same mechanism it can now.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2019

If those are the election results then there'll be a *lot* of Con gains in the Midlands, North, Wales and less prosperous southern towns. After all, if the Tories underperform in some seats where there's a strong LD or SNP showing, that means they must overperform elsewhere. (Although note that there's a huge, if probably largely notional, Con-LD swing anyway which would always make itself felt in Con-LD marginals).

i think that is a correct reading of the situation now. We only have to look at which seats Labour MPs are standing down in to see that the current MPs don't think they will hold Wrexham, or Newcastle-under-Lyme, or Ashfield.

I think the Remainer's plan of continually thwarting Brexit is likely to end up with a harder Brexit in the long run.

Remainers (like the DUP) would have been better advised to vote for May's deal.

The problem with waiting for your Unicorn deal is that the animal is mythological.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited October 2019

eek said:

My money is on leaving with Johnson's deal followed fairly quickly by a GE with a Tory majority.

After that it's downhill all the way for the Tories as they grapple with trying to delivering any benefits from Brexit (spaffing money around will only take you so far if the economy is not doing well) , trying to negotiate an FTA with the the ERG being as obnoxious as ever and a new Labour leader possibly removing the obstacle to many people voting Labour
  • Options

i think that is a correct reading of the situation now. We only have to look at which seats Labour MPs are standing down in to see that the current MPs don't think they will hold Wrexham, or Newcastle-under-Lyme, or Ashfield.

I think the Remainer's plan of continually thwarting Brexit is likely to end up with a harder Brexit in the long run.

Remainers (like the DUP) would have been better advised to vote for May's deal.

The problem with waiting for your Unicorn deal is that the animal is mythological.
    Indeed. Remainer May's deal was as soft as any Brexit-seeking government was ever going to go for.
  • Options
    I suspect no Member State could ever agree to the proposition that it should be prevented from removing persons who are unable to demonstrate their right to do so, despite 2 (or in the case of a deal 3) years to do so.
  • Options
    OllyT said "My money is on leaving with Johnson's deal followed fairly quickly by a GE with a Tory majority."

Please can you explain where this mythical GE is coming from?
  • Options

eek said:

Stocky said:

No Deal is already statute, it always must be if there's an expiry date. In future if Parliament wishes to delay No Deal again it can pass another Benn Act demanding an extension letter be sent.
    At the moment - revoke is still an option. Once we've left it isn't - so No Deal is implicitly worse as it's not just the default end result its the only end result.

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,425

Fishing said:

The DUP made the former IRA Chief of Staff Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland, so the answer to your question is yes.
    True - but they also made Dr Ian Paisley the First Minister at the same time. There is absolutely no way that they will put Corbyn and McDonnell into power. So the answer is no.

• Options

I suspect no Member State could ever agree to the proposition that it should be prevented from removing persons who are unable to demonstrate their right to do so, despite 2 (or in the case of a deal 3) years to do so.
    Then it should be made much, much, much simpler and easier to demonstrate that right.

The system May designed is a farce. Why should EU residents living here have to have a record of every trip out of the country they ever made when that wasn't a requirement when they made it? And all the other farces.

System should be much simpler.

Question 1: Are you an EU citizen.
    Question 2: Do you live here?

Here is your Settled Status.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Scott_P said:
    Also this is probably one of the reasons for an 'advisory' referendum being treated as binding ever since it gave the 'right' result ... for the top 1%, at least

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/opinion/the-brexit-undertones-of-the-eus-impending-anti-tax-avoidance-legislation/21/06/#.XWvKjv1V_fo.twitter
  • Options

Then it should be made much, much, much simpler and easier to demonstrate that right.

The system May designed is a farce. Why should EU residents living here have to have a record of every trip out of the country they ever made when that wasn't a requirement when they made it? And all the other farces.

You can't do that as Leavers voted for those people to leave. How dare you make it easy for them to stay.

For most leavers, every possible hurdle must be used to ensure everyone they don't know can't stay in the UK.

Sorry to be blunt but that is the attitude of every leaver I know. It's always we don't want you here but Patel who runs the corner shop and Marius who helps in are lovely why do they have to leave.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,425
    148grss said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

With IndyRef you have to remember process. There cannot be another referendum without the SNP/Greens winning a majority in the 2021 SP elections. Ain't gonna happen. Audiences in Scotland groan when they hear talk of a re-run and the SNP will not be able to avoid taking responsibility for the disaster that is Scottish education and the failing health service. And a Scottish LibDem revival will prove fatal to their chances.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Morning Brexit watchers,

Do we have a rough timetable for today's popcorn consumption?
  • Options
    eek said:

You can't do that as Leavers voted for those people to leave. How dare you make it easy for them to stay.

For most leavers, every possible hurdle must be used to ensure everyone they don't know can't stay in the UK.

Sorry to be blunt but that is the attitude of every leaver I know. It's always we don't want you here but Patel who runs the corner shop and Marius who helps in are lovely why do they have to leave.
    It is quite categorically not my view
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Stocky said:

OllyT said "My money is on leaving with Johnson's deal followed fairly quickly by a GE with a Tory majority."

... plus the majority. As Mike explained the DUP have swapped sides, at least for as long as BoJo is Tory leader. Once the LibDems and Farage's lot get some publicity during an election I expect them both to increase their percentages and that's will be bad news for Boris.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

At the moment - revoke is still an option. Once we've left it isn't - so No Deal is implicitly worse as it's not just the default end result its the only end result.

Extension and rejoin will be options.

And if you're a democrat then revoke isn't an option . . . oh I see.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

+1 - the Labour party know the longer Boris waits for an election the more what is likely to be a disaster is going to be pinned on him.

As an aside from what I've heard retail sales have fallen off the cliff in the past month.
  • Options

Morning Brexit watchers,

Do we have a rough timetable for today's popcorn consumption?

Looks like 7.00pm is the second reading vote immediately followed by the programme motion
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019
    eek said:

Leavers didn't vote for anyone living here to leave.

Leavers voted if anything migration-related to be able to control future migration, not to eject anyone already living here.
  • Options

eek said:

It's not anyone's view Big_G, it is eek projecting.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Extension and rejoin will be options.

And if you're a democrat then revoke isn't an option . . . oh I see.
    Revoke is an option - revoke with an immediate general election is probably a far saner option than anything else.

To an extent it would actually help the Tories as it means Boris can campaign for a sane leave plan without the baggage of his deal to campaign on.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379

Remainers (like the DUP) would have been better advised to vote for May's deal...
    There are plenty of us who reluctantly agreed with precisely that, and had she played a better hand in Parliament, rather than conducting the process as though she had a strong majority, she might well have got it through.

The idea that the DUP would ever have backed May's deal, is a fantasy which contributed to her failed strategy.

Remainers like the DUP... LOL.
  • Options

eek said:

So why did you vote to Leave?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2019
    Given an opportunity to play silly buggers and kick the can down the road, the HoC have shown that is the option they will always take. Why will this week be any different?
This discussion has been closed.