Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For how long can Johnson continue to defy gravity?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For how long can Johnson continue to defy gravity?

Wile E Coyote has enjoyed so many lives that even a cat would feel embarrassed, although perhaps ‘enjoyed’ isn’t quite the right word. Time and again over decades he’s been crushed, burned and fallen from a great height but always to return, unharmed, in pursuit of his great but unattainable aim. With such resilience and obsession, he should have been a politician.

Read the full story here

Comments

• First.
  • Q of the day, is Prince Andrew trying to bullshit us or himself? In the snippet I heard almost within the same sentence he says he stayed with convicted sex offender Epstein as a matter of convenience and then because he was 'too honourable'.

Still, someone fell for it.

https://twitter.com/SarahTheDuchess/status/1195433090363142145?s=20

• franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    What an excellent article, David.
    The quality of debate in this election has been quite dreadful, but here on Pb.com we have been really blessed with the contributions of some really thoughtful and incisive writers, not just Mr Herdson, but Cyclefree, Alistait Meeks, and others.

I know that I have been guilty at times of posting partisan polemic, as have others, but perhaps we could all, collectively. make a real effort to remain courteous even when we fundamentally disagree with what others have posted; together we could elevate this site to an oasis of polite, high-quality, debate. We are nearly there, but could do better.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2019
    Boris popularity rating is not unusually strong, May was significantly more popular (+18) at this stage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50403154
  • A great piece. My sense is that Johnson will win the election but that pretty soon afterwards he and his government will be among the most unpopular in living memory. The economy is slowing sharply, Brexit will be a disaster and the government will unleash a wave of Thatcherite shock therapy policies not in their manifesto in response. Meanwhile in Johnson they have a leader who commands neither the trust nor the respect of the public, and whose only real claims on public affections are a kind of superficial bonhomie and the fact he isn't Jeremy Corbyn. I think this is 1992: the Tories win a fourth term and quickly wish they hadn't.
  • franklyn said:

The quality of debate in this election has been quite dreadful, but here on Pb.com we have been really blessed with the contributions of some really thoughtful and incisive writers, not just Mr Herdson, but Cyclefree, Alistait Meeks, and others.

I know that I have been guilty at times of posting partisan polemic, as have others, but perhaps we could all, collectively. make a real effort to remain courteous even when we fundamentally disagree with what others have posted; together we could elevate this site to an oasis of polite, high-quality, debate. We are nearly there, but could do better.

Franklyn, I've been posting on this site since 2005. It composition and tone fluctuates, but in my opinion it is as good as it has ever been. Yes, there are some intemperate, offensive and highly partisan posters, but they are few and nobody takes much notice of them. Generally, the quality of debate is pretty good.

David's piece is characteristically thoughtful and incisive. You evidently have your own favorite posters. I would nominate Richard Tyndall and SeanF, if only to embarrass these modest gentleman! But there's no shortage of good posters, so enjoy.

Now I must away to the races. Cheltenham is on, and the bookies need me.

Toodle pip!
  • Morning all,

Posting on a new account.

I tried on my old account and have found I have been logged out and when I try and log in get the following message:

"You need to reset your password. This is most likely because an administrator recently changed your account information. Click here to reset your password."

Any techies know what this means? Has my old vanilla account been breached?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Morning all,

I tried on my old account and have found I have been logged out and when I try and log in get the following message:

"You need to reset your password. This is most likely because an administrator recently changed your account information. Click here to reset your password."

I had that, just submit your email and you can reset your password. I had it on another website too, which was odd.
  • ……. and he ('Boris' as most of public think of him as and not 'Johnson' as you constantly use in the article) is held up a double digit lead in the opinion polls, not least by the fact that his detractors have (1) nothing to counteract with, and (2) his detractors keep shouting out that he cannot get things done - and then proved wrong (which incidentally just shows up the detractors own inabilities to the electorate).
  • Morning all,

I had the same. I clicked on the link and it worked.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    Changed my password too!

Anyway, the free broadband plan is crazy - just not coherent. I wonder if this was put to a referendum what the result would be?

Agree with David's piece. The bottom line is that the future is bleak, very bleak. Sad times...
  • Morning all,

Same for me so I had to create a new account too. (Formerly Torby_Fennel) I've taken the opportunity to revert to my real name as I feel the more of us who do so the more civilised this place will be.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    edited November 2019

Q of the day, is Prince Andrew trying to bullshit us or himself? In the snippet I heard almost within the same sentence he says he stayed with convicted sex offender Epstein as a matter of convenience and then because he was 'too honourable'.

What a sleazeball, lying through his teeth and she is no better.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Morning all,

Sounds like another Vanilla “upgrade”. I got the same message, entered the email address and got a link to their PW reset page, only took a minute.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited November 2019
    murali_s said:

Changed my password too!

Anyway, the free broadband plan is crazy - just not coherent. I wonder if this was put to a referendum what the result would be?

Agree with David's piece. The bottom line is that the future is bleak, very bleak. Sad times...

Free stuff would win at a canter. Along with somebody else paying for it.

Morning all,

I had it as well and just reset my password and it was OK.
    malcolmg said:

Q of the day, is Prince Andrew trying to bullshit us or himself? In the snippet I heard almost within the same sentence he says he stayed with convicted sex offender Epstein as a matter of convenience and then because he was 'too honourable'.

Am I the only one who thinks this interview is a really dangerous thing for Andrew to be doing, given the FBI also want to interview him?

There’s got to be a real chance that he (even inadvertently) says something provably untrue, given all the information that we know exists about Epstein and those around him and is not yet in the public domain.
  • Amusing article but wasn't there a large, long, persistent gap between the popularity of Cameron and his government? And also a persistent but less large gap between the popularity of Blair and his?
  • franklyn said:

100% agree
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Am I the only one who thinks this interview is a really dangerous thing for Andrew to be doing, given the FBI also want to interview him?

There’s got to be a real chance that he (even inadvertently) says something provably untrue, given all the information that we know exists about Epstein and those around him and is not yet in the public domain.
    These types are well trained to obfuscate more than even politicians. He has had a lifetimes practice at deception and used the well known " I do not recollect ever seeing that person" cliche.
  • Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

There's lots of stinky stories about him that go around. Perhaps one of the really bad ones is close to going public and this Epstein interview is about distraction.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Morning all,

Yes, I had the same. Reused my old account with a new password - if I suddenly announce a conversion to UKIP please assume I've been hacked :)
  • I really do expect the Johnson / Corbyn debate to do both of them damage. A key narrative that is being reported on Twitter from up and down the land is that people are sick of LabCon and in disbelief that they are being presented clown vs commie clown as a choice. Sticking them both on TV to remind punters how poor that choice is can surely only make things worse for them
  • malcolmg said:

Morning all,

Just done the same. Have had numerous identities over the years on PB both due to forgetting passwords and the sites platform changes.
    Its always been the premier political discourse site on the web.
  • With Margaret Thatcher her enemies created an imaginary monster and then condemned her as if the imaginary monster were the reality. The public did not buy that.

With Boris they are doing the same - and it will not wash. Many people are asperational - I aspire to speak better French and write better Latin. The exaggerated liaisons for which Boris is accused endlessly are not that different to what a lot of lads and lasses go out on a Saturday night in the hopes of happening - never did for me. The discussions as to what his relationships are with previous partners and his offspring are speculative and usually downright libellous. Fortunately most people are fair minded and give some benefit of the doubt.

I'm a bit disappointed that David is joining in with this. I do know that Boris has high recognition among medium low turnout Conservative voters - they like him. They like the way he disposes of sophistry which they see as being esentially as honest as the three card trick. They should turn out for him and for his opponents that is a problem - please keep dishing the dirt. It reflects more on his detractors than on him.

Amusing article but wasn't there a large, long, persistent gap between the popularity of Cameron and his government? And also a persistent but less large gap between the popularity of Blair and his?

Much less extreme than +2 to -55 IIRC. A third warning light is that Conservative and Johnson popularity have plunged in the higher-educated (levels 3-4) sector of the population. I don't mean that in the sense of "Tories are thick", but I think that this sector is often a leading indicator - it's people on average who read more stuff, follow events more closely, etc. Sometimes the rest of the population take a similar view when they focus on the issue
  • Morning all,

Morning all,

Yes, I had the same. Reused my old account with a new password - if I suddenly announce a conversion to UKIP please assume I've been hacked :)
    Same here.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    edited November 2019
    matt said:

murali_s said:

Changed my password too!

The real contest starts once the Labour free stuff is out in print. Not only owls but maybe broadband, student tuition fees, pensions for WASPI women, social care, prescriptions, plus popular nationalisations, all paid for by the miraculous richest 5% and Amazon. The deceptions involved are no less and no greater than the Tory Brexit promises, past present and future.

edited November 2019
    Banterman said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

There's lots of stinky stories about him that go around. Perhaps one of the really bad ones is close to going public and this Epstein interview is about distraction.
    Yes that was my thought too, that’s he’s getting his retaliation in first. There’s a rumour that the ‘girl in the photo’ is going to talk to the FBI, she’s already said in public that she slept with Andrew on three occasions (when he says he’s never met her, despite the photo).

Apparently there were lots of women involved with Epstein's empire, and the biggest issue facing prosecutors is the blurring of the lines between those who were victims and those who were enablers. It seems a number of the ‘recruits’ went on to become ‘recruiters’ themselves a few years later.
  • Amusing article but wasn't there a large, long, persistent gap between the popularity of Cameron and his government? And also a persistent but less large gap between the popularity of Blair and his?

Much less extreme than +2 to -55 IIRC. A third warning light is that Conservative and Johnson popularity have plunged in the higher-educated (levels 3-4) sector of the population. I don't mean that in the sense of "Tories are thick", but I think that this sector is often a leading indicator - it's people on average who read more stuff, follow events more closely, etc. Sometimes the rest of the population take a similar view when they focus on the issue
    That might be Brexit related though. Educated people mostly hate Brexit, but uneducated people don't seem to be catching up.
  • How long can Boris defy gravity ?

Well Tony Blair managed 10-11 years.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Morning all,

I had the same. I clicked on the link and it worked.
    Me too, presumably just a way to clean out astroturfers in the GE run up.
    Good header DH, I hadn't realised that satisfaction with the government was so low. -55% is quite something.

I was forecasting a substantial Tory majority, on a low turnout, but I think the degree of anger against the government is too much for that.
  • I'm back. Password reset.
  • Morning all,

Mine is also a new account, since the email address associated with the old one is kaput.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    It took me three tries to get back. I had to upgrade my password to a stronger version. I was on the point of changing to Barnesian2 with a new avatar as I can't find the original.

But I wouldn't have liked that as I'm very conservative, even though I labour with liberal aspirations. Aspirations not asperations, though I suspect I'm on the spectrum with my fascination with detailed records and calculations.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Morning all,

Won't happen on Corbonet.
  • Morning all,

In the absence of an official announcement, it may mean either that Vanilla has cocked things up, or that they fear they have been breached. For the latter reason, you should not reuse the old password (or use the same password on any other site, for fear of so-called credential stuffing. Ideally, do not use the same password anyone else has used either! Really, passwords are not fit for purpose but neither is anything else).
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    New account for me too due to out of date email. Dyedwoolie obviously.
    edited November 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

Morning all,

Won't happen on Corbonet.
    Nope, you’d be banned from having more than one government-provided email address, and forgetting a password would make you an un-person exiled from the internet.

(It’s already a serious criminal offence to forget your password in certain circumstances).
    Banterman said:

malcolmg said:

Morning all,

Just done the same. Have had numerous identities over the years on PB both due to forgetting passwords and the sites platform changes.
    Its always been the premier political discourse site on the web.
    Yes great site, any time I have had issues I just drop a note to Robert and it is sorted out.
  • Password reset here too.

This is a really good header. But I would suggest that Johnson and the Tory Party may yet be able to defy gravity for a considerable time yet.

A Brexit transition that morphs into a close relationship with the EU as the heat comes out of the issue on exit, combined with Labour's ability to replace Corbyn with someone like Long - Bailey would leave the electorate with the same invidious choice to make next time round.

Unless of course the Liberal Democrats could find a genuine leader of substance, political nouse and gravitas to change the equation as the disillusionment with the 2 main parties grows further.

The Liberal Democrats will move forward in this election due to the nature of Johnson and Corbyn. I can't help think they will regret that if it was not for Jo Swinson they could have done so much better.
  • Meanwhile in Geordieland. Having lived in Australia for 30 YEARS the Brexit candidate claims "However I believe that for far too long, the people living in Northern coastal towns like Tynemouth have been too long ignored by Westminster."

On my local Facebook group one of the loudest rampers for tbe hardest Brexit possible because "iTS DESTROYING OUR TOWN" confessed he lives in the Phillipines. Nigel Lawson from France. My MEP lives in France and insists foreigners shouldn't be allowed to settle in our country. The dripping arrogance of the Brexit Party - and the desperation/stupidity of the people who vote for them

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/brexit-party-candidate-tynemouth-australia-17256578.amp?__twitter_impression=true
    Sandpit said:

Yes that was my thought too, that’s he’s getting his retaliation in first. There’s a rumour that the ‘girl in the photo’ is going to talk to the FBI, she’s already said in public that she slept with Andrew on three occasions (when he says he’s never met her, despite the photo).

Apparently there were lots of women involved with Epstein's empire, and the biggest issue facing prosecutors is the blurring of the lines between those who were victims and those who were enablers. It seems a number of the ‘recruits’ went on to become ‘recruiters’ themselves a few years later.

It illustrates the crazy lottery of monarchy - we elevate random people to high-profile positions with a representational function, and then take a morbid and voyeuristic interest in every aspect of their lives. It's a daft way to choose the people who help shape our image, and it's not really fair on them either. If he's committed any crimes he should be prosecuted. If he hasn't, then what he does should be none of our business.

I like the Swiss system in which the president rotates around the cross-party governing council each year, so people only vaguely know who the current president is, but there's always one to hold public ceremonies, hand out medals and so on.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    A refreshingly objective assessment from a Conservative. I suspect and fear his feet will keep going until the New Year, but he’ll go on to be stunningly unpopular when expectations from Brexit turn to dust, or worse, and he is forced to row back on promising to spend money on anything and everything.
    edited November 2019

New account for me too due to out of date email. Dyedwoolie obviously.

Sorry to hear the news. Poor Woolie. :(
    Just had a YouGov with constituency specific questions and named candidates, also tactical voting questions and leader approval. It sounds to me that they are doing another MMP projection now that nominations have closed.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

Morning all,

I got that too; it seems to be a common experience.
  • PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited November 2019

With Margaret Thatcher her enemies created an imaginary monster and then condemned her as if the imaginary monster were the reality. The public did not buy that.

With Boris they are doing the same - and it will not wash. Many people are asperational - I aspire to speak better French and write better Latin. The exaggerated liaisons for which Boris is accused endlessly are not that different to what a lot of lads and lasses go out on a Saturday night in the hopes of happening - never did for me. The discussions as to what his relationships are with previous partners and his offspring are speculative and usually downright libellous. Fortunately most people are fair minded and give some benefit of the doubt.

I'm a bit disappointed that David is joining in with this. I do know that Boris has high recognition among medium low turnout Conservative voters - they like him. They like the way he disposes of sophistry which they see as being esentially as honest as the three card trick. They should turn out for him and for his opponents that is a problem - please keep dishing the dirt. It reflects more on his detractors than on him.

Boris is not my first choice of PM. But I do wonder whether the hatred directed towards him by supposedly superior persons might be driven by a mixture of a misplaced sense of their superiority and plain envy.

Sandpit said:

It illustrates the crazy lottery of monarchy - we elevate random people to high-profile positions with a representational function, and then take a morbid and voyeuristic interest in every aspect of their lives. It's a daft way to choose the people who help shape our image, and it's not really fair on them either. If he's committed any crimes he should be prosecuted. If he hasn't, then what he does should be none of our business.

I like the Swiss system in which the president rotates around the cross-party governing council each year, so people only vaguely know who the current president is, but there's always one to hold public ceremonies, hand out medals and so on.
    It is our business as we are paying for the arsehole to run about the world creating havoc and doing just as he likes.
    geoffw said:

Morning all,

I got that too; it seems to be a common experience.
    Me too, for the first time. I am often logged out, and often have to reset my password to get back in, but never got the message about the administrator before.
  • How long can Boris defy gravity ?

Boris is a bit like Ronnie Reagan. People may not like everything he does or in our case, the government (really the residue from May's hopeless period), but he cheers you up and makes you smile. In the grey old world we live in, I suspect that counts for a lot.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Good news to you all!

I have been able to reset my password too so am still here!

Looking forward to polls later.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Thankyou DH, very enjoyable. But I think Boris still has some pizzazz.
    I'm a yaysayer for Boris.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    IanB2 said:

A refreshingly objective assessment from a Conservative. I suspect and fear his feet will keep going until the New Year, but he’ll go on to be stunningly unpopular when expectations from Brexit turn to dust, or worse, and he is forced to row back on promising to spend money on anything and everything.

Agree with this. If the Tories win a majority - and I don’t think this is a given - they will find their irreconcilable promises and the expectations of their voters catching up with them.

And thank you @david_herdson for an interesting article and @franklyn for your kind words.
  • Banterman said:

How long can Boris defy gravity ?

Boris is a bit like Ronnie Reagan. People may not like everything he does or in our case, the government (really the residue from May's hopeless period), but he cheers you up and makes you smile. In the grey old world we live in, I suspect that counts for a lot.
    Assume 'cheers you up and makes you smile' doesn't refer to the whole populace? A weary rictus grin is the most that the **** has raised from me.
    IanB2 said:

The money thing worries me more generally. Yes, interest rates are very low, but can we really go spending like there's no tomorrow into the billions and trillions?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Surley the main reason for the defiance of gravity is very simple - Jeremy Corbyn and the batshit craziness of the current Labour party. I cannot be the only one who has noticed the loudest silence from the many of his critics who are currently standing for the party in his name. What I wonder will they do should he get near to power? I for one am not prepared to take the risk.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

He will have had all wisdom exorcised as a routine part of his Sea King conversion at 706NAS.
  • algarkirk said:

matt said:

murali_s said:

Changed my password too!

The real contest starts once the Labour free stuff is out in print. Not only owls but maybe broadband, student tuition fees, pensions for WASPI women, social care, prescriptions, plus popular nationalisations, all paid for by the miraculous richest 5% and Amazon. The deceptions involved are no less and no greater than the Tory Brexit promises, past present and future.

Free Corbynband has caused a social media meltdown so either it is really, really unpopular or CCHQ fears voters will quite like the idea so has let loose the dogs of war twitter.
  • algarkirk said:

matt said:

murali_s said:

Changed my password too!

Free Corbynband has caused a social media meltdown so either it is really, really unpopular or CCHQ fears voters will quite like the idea so has let loose the dogs of war twitter.
    Latter I reckon.
    edited November 2019
    PeterC said:

IanB2 said:

The money thing worries me more generally. Yes, interest rates are very low, but can we really go spending like there's no tomorrow into the billions and trillions?
    Indeed. The only way a national debt of 88% of GDP is going away is with an awful lot of inflation. Someone at this election needs to point out that the fifth largest spending government department is the ‘Department’ of Debt Interest, standing at over £40bn per year even with interest rates on the floor. Imagine what would happen to that figure if interest rates went up a couple of percentage points?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    felix said:

Surley the main reason for the defiance of gravity is very simple - Jeremy Corbyn and the batshit craziness of the current Labour party. I cannot be the only one who has noticed the loudest silence from the many of his critics who are currently standing for the party in his name. What I wonder will they do should he get near to power? I for one am not prepared to take the risk.

Yes, I think the public have pretty well made their minds up about Jeremy Corbyn.
    Banterman said:

Does not make me smile or cheer me up, I just see a scruffy lying buffoon out on the make.

algarkirk said:

matt said:

murali_s said:

Changed my password too!

It's too small an issue to make much difference either way.
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

He will have had all wisdom exorcised as a routine part of his Sea King conversion at 706NAS.
    He had none to start with.
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Ah, didn’t know he was a rotorhead. That explains a lot!

Meanwhile in Geordieland. Having lived in Australia for 30 YEARS the Brexit candidate claims "However I believe that for far too long, the people living in Northern coastal towns like Tynemouth have been too long ignored by Westminster."

On my local Facebook group one of the loudest rampers for tbe hardest Brexit possible because "iTS DESTROYING OUR TOWN" confessed he lives in the Phillipines. Nigel Lawson from France. My MEP lives in France and insists foreigners shouldn't be allowed to settle in our country. The dripping arrogance of the Brexit Party - and the desperation/stupidity of the people who vote for them

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/brexit-party-candidate-tynemouth-australia-17256578.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Nigel Lawson, I fear, is returning home.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/nigel-lawson-to-quit-france-to-return-to-the-uk-1-5920438
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited November 2019

I really do expect the Johnson / Corbyn debate to do both of them damage. A key narrative that is being reported on Twitter from up and down the land is that people are sick of LabCon and in disbelief that they are being presented clown vs commie clown as a choice. Sticking them both on TV to remind punters how poor that choice is can surely only make things worse for them

Meanwhile in Geordieland. Having lived in Australia for 30 YEARS the Brexit candidate claims "However I believe that for far too long, the people living in Northern coastal towns like Tynemouth have been too long ignored by Westminster."

There is only one true way! The zeal of the convert if ever you saw it
    PeterC said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, for financial sanity you have to vote LD. Much as I like free owls.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Foxy said:

Good header DH, I hadn't realised that satisfaction with the government was so low. -55% is quite something.

I was forecasting a substantial Tory majority, on a low turnout, but I think the degree of anger against the government is too much for that.

Anger at "Government" is probably just shorthand for anger at the whole of the political system. Many people wouldn't make a party political distinction that "The Tories have been shit at handling Brexit but everyone else in Westminster is fine...." They have all been shit.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

A great piece. My sense is that Johnson will win the election but that pretty soon afterwards he and his government will be among the most unpopular in living memory. The economy is slowing sharply, Brexit will be a disaster and the government will unleash a wave of Thatcherite shock therapy policies not in their manifesto in response. Meanwhile in Johnson they have a leader who commands neither the trust nor the respect of the public, and whose only real claims on public affections are a kind of superficial bonhomie and the fact he isn't Jeremy Corbyn. I think this is 1992: the Tories win a fourth term and quickly wish they hadn't.

My side are going to lose, but the other side will live to regret winning and I’ll be proved right about everything. If only they’d listen...
    I also had to change password.

I did toy with returning to a short-term presence I had here as The Ghost of Brian Clough - who was even more forceful and unpleasant a posting presence than MarqueeMark. But as he was such a Labour Man, it really wasn't right....(although I reckon he'd have been a Brexiteer).
  • malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

Does not make me smile or cheer me up, I just see a scruffy lying buffoon out on the make.
    I take it you're in the undecided part of the electorate then.
    malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

People are laughing at him, not with him. That is quite a big difference. He has no gravitas, dignity or empathy, and it shows with every appearance.

Quite possibly he will get his majority, but will shortly after be reviled by everyone.
    malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

rays of sunshine....Scotsman with a grievance......
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Banterman said:

In what way does he cheer people up make them smile can you give some examples because I must have missed unless you are referring to the ‘man in the next room’ videos which are hilarious.
  • I really do expect the Johnson / Corbyn debate to do both of them damage. A key narrative that is being reported on Twitter from up and down the land is that people are sick of LabCon and in disbelief that they are being presented clown vs commie clown as a choice. Sticking them both on TV to remind punters how poor that choice is can surely only make things worse for them

Unlikely and I suspect wishful thinking. They'd have to do equally badly to do them damage.

If on the other hand people make the opinion that as much as they don't like 'clown' they think 'commie clown' is worse - or vice versa - then that could lead to a forced choice that squeezes all alternatives.
  • Morning all, bit of a password problem earlier so thought I had been banned again! I fully expect that if Boris wins on 12th December and gets a decent majority to enable him to pass the Brexit bill, in the coming year the Tory poll ratings will resemble the big dipper on the Blackpool Pleasure Park ride. However I remember Margaret Thatcher went through similar highs and lows. In addition remember if he does get returned with a majority, I fully expect the Government to finally push through the last boundary changes which will reduce the HoC to 600 seats.
    Banterman said:

malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

Banterman said:

malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

Banterman said:

malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

:D
  • Sandpit said:

PeterC said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. The only way a national debt of 88% of GDP is going away is with an awful lot of inflation. Someone at this election needs to point out that the fifth largest spending government department is the ‘Department’ of Debt Interest, standing at over £40bn per year even with interest rates on the floor. Imagine what would happen to that figure if interest rates went up a couple of percentage points?
    Inflation or by expanding the economy. This was George Osborne's mistake: he choked off growth by concentrating on the wrong side of the equation. [Insert Ed Balls' hand gesture here.]

On debt itself, though the Conservatives have increased it to almost unprecedented levels, we should bear in mind that roughly a third is just book-keeping between the Treasury and the Bank of England.

malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

Who would have guessed you would be a lovestruck admirer of the oaf.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

People are laughing at him, not with him. That is quite a big difference. He has no gravitas, dignity or empathy, and it shows with every appearance.

Quite possibly he will get his majority, but will shortly after be reviled by everyone.
    A lot of people are laughing at him, plenty of people are still laughing with him. Doesn't work on me anymore, but I think it awfully presumptuous to pretend that no one likes Johnson's schtick, that's just comforting yourself.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited November 2019
    OnlyLivingBoy said:
    "My sense is that Johnson will win the election but that pretty soon afterwards he and his government will be among the most unpopular in living memory. The economy is slowing sharply, Brexit will be a disaster"

Those who voted Remain will, post Brexit, continue to say that Brexit is a disaster.
    Those who voted Leave will always say the opposite.

I think that Remainers see things solely in economic terms and have consequently failed to grasp that leavers want to leave the EU whether or not economic damage results.

All about sovereignty and rose-tinted spectacles innit. A matter of identity not economics.
    malcolmg said:
    "Does not make me smile or cheer me up, I just see a scruffy lying buffoon out on the make."

I`ll put you down as a "doubtful" then.
  • Morning all, bit of a password problem earlier so thought I had been banned again! I fully expect that if Boris wins on 12th December and gets a decent majority to enable him to pass the Brexit bill, in the coming year the Tory poll ratings will resemble the big dipper on the Blackpool Pleasure Park ride. However I remember Margaret Thatcher went through similar highs and lows. In addition remember if he does get returned with a majority, I fully expect the Government to finally push through the last boundary changes which will reduce the HoC to 600 seats.

Maybe but remember the 600 seats reduction was part of an integrated gerrymandering plan which, ironically perhaps, now depends on out-of-date electoral rolls. It might be quietly buried.
  • nichomar said:

Banterman said:

In what way does he cheer people up make them smile can you give some examples because I must have missed unless you are referring to the ‘man in the next room’ videos which are hilarious.
    Kate McCann of Sky who accompanies Boris said that he is very popular generally with the public with lots of selfiies and an extraordinary number of school children wanting a selfie with him. She said of course he has the odd dissenting voice but far more positive encounters.

Boris is annoying, blustering, and at times embarrassing, but he is also bubbly, optimistic, and no doubt seen as one of the lads by many, especially in the north
  • malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

There really is a Marmite element to Johnson. I genuinely cannot understand why people like him but I have to admit some people do. I think that a lot of English people are quite comfortable deferring to a 'gent' like Johnson, even if he puts on this kind of Bertie Wooster schtick that allows them to laugh at him at the same time.
    That kind of shit doesn't work in Scotland, which is a less deferential society and where so called anti-English sentiment is generally reserved for the English ruling classes. Hence why Malcolm and I can't stand him. Also notable that fellow Scot Eddie Mair presided over the most effective demolition of Johnson in an interview to date. Mair was completely immune to his act and Johnson had no other defences.
  • I gave up trying to log in with my old account - or I got banned. Via iPhone safari.
    edited November 2019

Sandpit said:

PeterC said:

IanB2 said:

Inflation or by expanding the economy. This was George Osborne's mistake: he choked off growth by concentrating on the wrong side of the equation. [Insert Ed Balls' hand gesture here.]

On debt itself, though the Conservatives have increased it to almost unprecedented levels, we should bear in mind that roughly a third is just book-keeping between the Treasury and the Bank of England.
    Expanding the economy would be great, but mindless chasing of GDP numbers isn’t.

The best way for government to expand the economy is to get out of the way - reduce the costs of doing business and incentivise R&D, efficiency and productivity gains.

Paying one group of people to dig a hole for the government, and another group of people to fill it in again is great for GDP and employment, but achieves nothing for the actual economy.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Re the password reset request.

Mine worked fine, but a warning from one of the Moderators would have nice, given we are all so conditioned to be suspicious of scams these days. :smile:
    "EU migrants who come to the UK after Brexit will be barred from claiming benefits for five years under plans to end free movement expected to be announced in the Tory manifesto."

Wow - this is going to be really popular.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Stocky said:

"EU migrants who come to the UK after Brexit will be barred from claiming benefits for five years under plans to end free movement expected to be announced in the Tory manifesto."

Really? I wonder how many people will actually think this is going to help their lives one iota.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    edited November 2019
    O/T Election day in Sri Lanka today.

A close friend of the odious trio of Liam Fox, James Wharton and Ian Paisley, war criminal Gotabaya Rajapaksa is the slight favourite.
  • Stocky said:

Unpicked strawberry panic imminent...
    That sounds like a sensible starting point. Immigrants should either be net contributors to the Exchequer, or fill a skills gap in the workforce. The reason productivity has been so poor in recent years is that unskilled or low skilled labour has been cheaper than capital investment.
  • The distinction between low-skilled and high-skilled migrants is doing a lot of heavy lifting. I'd expect business to demand that curry chefs, fruit pickers and burger flippers are designated as high-skill occupations, and posh Tories will doubtless want to include their stereotypical Polish plumbers and builders.

My guess is this is one election pledge that can be classed as a political promise never intended to be implemented. That will, of course, not stop it working as an election pledge for the next three and a half weeks.
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Banterman said:

As politicians go, Boris Johnson is popular with the public.
    edited November 2019

nichomar said:

Banterman said:

Boris is annoying, blustering, and at times embarrassing, but he is also bubbly, optimistic, and no doubt seen as one of the lads by many, especially in the north

The exaggerated liaisons for which Boris is accused endlessly are not that different to what a lot of lads and lasses go out on a Saturday night in the hopes of happening - never did for me.

It is quite remarkable how many Tories have become apologists for the serial adulterer and procurer of abortions for his abandoned mistresses.

Even my mother, who normally is very harsh on such lowlifes, seems willing to turn a blind eye. When was it that Conservatives started turning a blind eye to such personal immorality?
This discussion has been closed.