Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Johnson’s TV debate strategy could be a mistake

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Johnson’s TV debate strategy could be a mistake

Two. Ignore everything you think about the candidates and their abilities: head-to-head is harder for the incumbent PM, because they are the only one with a record to defend. https://t.co/7VWTL4KXWF

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First. Like ITV.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited November 2019
    First like the Tories. Second like Labour.

And more wishful thinking above the line, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    tlg86 said:

First like the Tories.

And more wishful thinking above the line, I'm afraid.

A premonition? :o
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,679
    Quite a lot of people have decided to boycott these debates, as a matter of principle.
  • Options
    Maybe Johnson just did the right thing?

I know, I know, I need to cut down on the psycho-active drugs.
  • Options
    So, it begins. The hubris. They never learn do they?

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1196493871926202368
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    “ICM also added a few other constituency cross-breaks to the tables this week. For instance, in Labour/Conservative marginals in England & Wales, where Labour or the Conservatives had a majority of less than 10% of the vote in 2017, the Tories lead Labour by 9 points (43% vs. 34%).

In constituencies that voted Remain in the 2016 EU referendum (according to estimates collated by the House of Commons Library), the Conservatives lead Labour by 5 points (37% vs. 32%), while in constituencies that voted to Leave, the Conservative lead is well into double figures – 12 points – with the Tories on 45% and Labour on 33%.”

Leave constituency figures look good for the Tories.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited November 2019
    Are the debate formats cast in stone?
    The thread header makes some good points. As things stand now a scrappy 7 header would be perfect for Boris.
  • Options
    Two reasons:

1. Showing cowardice makes you look weak, and is the fastest way to lose a poll lead if you have one - it was certainly disastrous for May. No guts, no glory.

2. Avoiding the debate allows a section of the electorate to fantasise that Corbyn might be OK as PM because no one from the Tories has ever challenged him head to head. In the US, a Presidential election without debates is inconceivable because you need to see how the two contenders for the top job compare side by side. It's about time we got that clarity here.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    There's a risk, to be sure. Multi party would probably have been better for Boris, but Corbyn would always have asked for a head to head, and the memory of May being frit is pretty powerful, so I don't think he could avoid a head to head really - all the points about why Corbyn could surprise, or squeeze the LDs, and the rest, they all make sense, but refusing to debate last time really cut through to people I know, and I think seeming to run from Corbyn would have cut through this time too.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    BluerBlue said:

Two reasons:

1. Showing cowardice makes you look weak, and is the fastest way to lose a poll lead if you have one - it was certainly disastrous for May. No guts, no glory.

2. Avoiding the debate allows a section of the electorate to fantasise that Corbyn might be OK as PM because no one from the Tories has ever challenged him head to head. In the US, a Presidential election without debates is inconceivable because you need to see how the two contenders for the top job compare side by side. It's about time we got that clarity here.

I agree. This does not address the issues with not debating.

I am sure that, had Johnson passed on the debates, Stephen Bush would be writing and tweeting to the effect that it is a mistake to vacate the field, show the lack of confidence in one's own position, and to run away from someone his party has labelled a dangerous incompetent.
  • Options
    I think what helped do for May is she didn’t have a chance to go on the attack against Corbyn for the whole campaign. A debate is risky, but Labour deserve to have their policies challenged, alongside Corbyns leadership.

Whether Boris is the best person for the job is itself highly debatable but he’s the PM and fair play for him standing up and being counted.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There's a risk, to be sure. Multi party would probably have been better for Boris, but Corbyn would always have asked for a head to head, and the memory of May being frit is pretty powerful, so I don't think he could avoid a head to head really - all the points about why Corbyn could surprise, or squeeze the LDs, and the rest, they all make sense, but refusing to debate last time really cut through to people I know, and I think seeming to run from Corbyn would have cut through this time too.

It was a massive tactical error for May. The opposition parties made hay with it for days and days.
  • Options
    Asked this in the other thread.

Comment I saw on the ICM poll.

"Some interesting tables from this poll.
    - Labour constituencies with majorities under 10%: Lab 44% Tory 33%
    - Tory constituencies with majorities under 10%: Tory 51% Lab 25%
    Suggests the Tories are piling up votes in seats they already hold while Labour are hanging on in their seats."

Can anyone verify it?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    With Bozo's attention for detail and usual meticulous preparation, what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Yes, I'm astonished that Boris didn't find an excuse - any excuse whatsoever - to pull out. My fear is that, after Prince Andrew's efforts, people are now relishing 'car crash' performances and crave some variety beyond 'Tories nailed on'. For this reason, however unjustly, the punditry will tear Boris to shreds. His control of the narrative, already shaky, will be lost for good. Who know what will happen then.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Sure, but given the opprobrium heaped on Theresa May for not showing up, he needed to control the agenda this time round. Presumably Corbyn would not have agreed to a seven way debate (8 way including whoever leads CUK these days)?

Imagine if Swinson had sent Umunna and Corbyn had pulled out at the last minute.
  • Options
    "I can no longer follow the clown that leads Labour"

Tory FB ads to 'activate'.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    ClippP said:

Quite a lot of people have decided to boycott these debates, as a matter of principle.

Really? I’m just boycotting it on aesthetic grounds. Two lazy racist posh boys with the intellects of stewed rabbits who wrongly think they are funny trying to pretend they care about ordinary people is almost certainly going to be rubbish TV.
  • Options
    BluerBlueBluerBlue Posts: 521
    edited November 2019
    TimT said:

BluerBlue said:

Two reasons:

I am sure that, had Johnson passed on the debates, Stephen Bush would be writing and tweeting to the effect that it is a mistake to vacate the field, show the lack of confidence in one's own position, and to run away from someone his party has labelled a dangerous incompetent.
    Agreed - Stephen Bush is as pleasant a lefty as I can imagine, but that's exactly what he'd say if Boris ducked out.
  • Options
    This is a letter from the outgoing leader of the youth wing of the Leicester East CLP, right?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited November 2019
    On the point about Corbyn having a good record on debates, does the same not apply to Boris? I thought he was fine in the BBC debate (farcical as it was), and I thought he played his part in the ITV EU referendum debate. And did he not do okay against Ken in a debate?
  • Options
    Honestly, the quality of Labour members. Doesn’t even know how to spell ‘monies.’
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Are ITV running ads tomorrow night?

Short of Boris doing a Prince Andrew and/or Corbyn suddenly acquiring Obama levels of eloquence and persuasion its unlikely to push the needle much either way. Not to mention attention spans are now even shorter than in the brief heady days of Cleggmania, just ask Kamala Harris.
  • Options

Yes, I'm astonished that Boris didn't find an excuse - any excuse whatsoever - to pull out. My fear is that, after Prince Andrew's efforts, people are now relishing 'car crash' performances and crave some variety beyond 'Tories nailed on'. For this reason, however unjustly, the punditry will tear Boris to shreds. His control of the narrative, already shaky, will be lost for good. Who know what will happen then.

He’d have been doomed if he’d done that. If the Tories want a majority, they’ve got to join the game. 2017 taught us that.
  • Options

And all they have to do is make sure it gets endlessly retweeted and FB shared. No need to advertise at all.
  • Options
    Reassuring that the CLP Chair wasn't an SWP entryist.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518

Dangerous for Tories to deride clowns as leader!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited November 2019
    TimT said:

BluerBlue said:

Two reasons:

I am confident Boris will take on Corbyn tomorrow and will come out of it ok

He has plenty of amunition to attack Corbyn on

On another subject

At today's CBI Jo Swinson said she would scap business rates

We then had one of the many useless Sky presenters musing on how good this was as the lib dems landtax would apply to the landlord, releasing the business from the rate cost. He clearly had not even considered that the business would just face an equivalent increase in the rent to compensate
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Asked this in the other thread.

Comment I saw on the ICM poll.

"Some interesting tables from this poll.
    - Labour constituencies with majorities under 10%: Lab 44% Tory 33%
    - Tory constituencies with majorities under 10%: Tory 51% Lab 25%
    Suggests the Tories are piling up votes in seats they already hold while Labour are hanging on in their seats."

Can anyone verify it?

This is true. Tiny subsample though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Honestly, the quality of Labour members. Doesn’t even know how to spell ‘monies.’
    Also, surely 'hokey cokey'?
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    FPT:
    Barnesian said:

I think UNS is fine for small changes in share. It's hopeless for large changes and clumping effects.

I have an additive model (UNS) and a multiplicative model.

If LibDem national share goes from say 7% to 14% then the additive model adds 7% to the share in every constituency and the multiplicative model increases it by 100%.

So Constituency A goes from 2% to 9% with additive model and 2% to 4% with multiplicative.
    Constituency B goes from 20% to 27% with additive model and 20% to 40% with multiplicative.

The multiplicative model I think better reflects clumping i.e. rewarding strong seats and not weak seats.

My main model is now 75% additive and 25% multiplicative but I'm gradually increasing the multiplicative weighting.

Additive or multiplicative makes little difference to the Tory vote projection because the current share is near the 2017 share. It makes a big difference to the Labour and LD projections.

If I make the multiplicative weighting 100% it leaves the Tory seats unchanged but Labour drop another 20 seats and LDs gain another 20. But it is not a straight swap. The Tories lose an extra 20 seats to the LDs and gain an extra 20 seats from Labour.

Sorry that's a bit technical.

The multiplicative model looks a bit like the model I used in 2010 whereas I didn't believe it. it tended not to get exact seats correct and my model didn't give a likelihood of a party winning a seat.

There's a number of potential improvements I could make to my previous models.
    1) produce a rating system for each seat (from Safe, Likely, Lean to Tossup) and work out how close a seat needs to be to be in each one.
    2) work out the volatility and use that to produce a non-uniform swing method.
    3) work out, for each seat, how the parties who are not standing are going to react.
    4) manually predict buckingham
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Really? I’m just boycotting it on aesthetic grounds. Two lazy racist posh boys with the intellects of stewed rabbits who wrongly think they are funny trying to pretend they care about ordinary people is almost certainly going to be rubbish TV.
    I am working. What time is it on? Might need to watch on catch up.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    How is a debate between the tories little helper and Johnson democratic?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Well it's certainly a lot blunter than most such letters, and powerful for it, though quite why parachuting in favourites is the last straw I'm not sure, and I'm not sure they have much of a case in getting their money back.
  • Options

With Bozo's attention for detail and usual meticulous preparation, what could possibly go wrong?

https://youtu.be/GUf9wsPFtJE
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

jaichind said:

https://twitter.com/Reuters

New ICM poll for @Reuters:
    Conservatives 42% (+3)
    Labour 32% (+1)
    Lib Dems 13% (-2)
    Brexit Party 5% (-3)

Labour solidly above 30 is concerning
    Their polling average is still below 30%.
    My EMA averages are
    Con/Lab/LD/BXP/Green
    40.4%/29.0%/14.9%/7.0%/3.1%

The effect of the slight tick up in Labour share is
    320/227/32/0/1

[Wait for incoming howls of ridicule]

EDIT: This includes effect of BXP not standing in a number of non-Tory seats.
    May I ask how your model did in 2017?
    I didn't have it then. I'd like to think it would have done rather well, but I would wouldn't I.

I'll have it open in the early hours of Dec 13th so I can monitor how the early results correspond to the model predictions. Later on the 13th I'll either have egg on my face or a big smirk.

I might even publish the latest version here on the 12th.
    Can't you pop some 2017 numbers into it and see how it goes?
    There are no swing calculations as the input shares are the same as the actuals. So any difference is in the BXP (UKIP) effects and tactical assumptions.

It gives;
    Con/Lab/LD
    302/264/21

It has stronger tactical effects than were present in 2017. Richmond Park went LibDem for instance.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dangerous for Tories to deride clowns as leader!
    You're right. There are still some people in Labour held seats who haven't seen through Jo Swinson, and we need each and every last one of them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Really? Why? Are you into masochism?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Odds Boris mention it tomorrow?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Just a politics junkie needing a fix!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    BluerBlue said:

Two reasons:

These are both important points, but the second especially so. One theory I've read, which I think has some merit, is that Johnson has agreed to the debates to remind the soft Remain segment of the Tory vote how scary the Far Left are, so that they won't be tempted to vote Lib Dem and risk letting Corbyn in through the middle.

I am just as worried as the rest of the anti-Labour pessimists that Johnson will stuff this up, but there is some reason to be hopeful. His task in this debate is actually quite simple. His record should be relatively easy to defend - he won the London Mayoralty twice, not many people will care about his competence or otherwise as Foreign Secretary, and he has that Withdrawal Agreement to sell, so he can concentrate on reminding the electorate that Labour wants to spend 17 squintillion quid on everything and that all of that spending will bankrupt the country and take all of them down along with it. Everyone has something to lose from that, apart from those who are already dirt poor who were only ever going to vote Labour in any case.

Beyond that, we also need to remind ourselves that 2017 was an exceptional election in that a dramatic shift in public opinion was measured during the course of the campaign. In a typical election campaign, most members of the public aren't paying much attention and most of those who are have already made their minds up, and will cherry-pick whatever comes out of a debate that best confirms their own opinions.

It is entirely possible that the debates will make little or no difference, and that your average voter will show more interest in I'm A Celebrity and the latest Prince Andrew revelations than they will in two politicians fighting at the end of years and years of politicians fighting.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Remember how Philip Hammond was completely kept out of the GE17 campaign and was clearly going to be sacked post election.

That was hilarious.
  • Options
    Seems to me the debate is a risk for both sides - but Corbyn really has nothing to lose.

I doubt the 30% voting for him now are going to disappear if he has a bad night.

But if he has a good night, he might get some of the undecided Labour voters back. And he may bring more Remainers back too.

He's going to get attacked on Brexit - but I wonder if he will be able to attack Johnson's lack of a plan and also prove (which is true) that Johnson's deal is not the end of Brexit at all.
  • Options
    Corbyn is going to have to spend half the debate defending his godawful, fence-sitting, cowardly balls-up of a Brexit plan. That could sink him right there.
  • Options
    Also, I don't think Johnson has had a good debate in recent memory. He was dreadful during the leadership campaign.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Corbyn is going to have to spend half the debate defending his godawful, fence-sitting, cowardly balls-up of a Brexit plan. That could sink him right there.

You mean the public won't be convinced by his plan to negotiate a fantastic new Brexit deal, and then campaign against it? :o
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Blimey. You really do have an addiction problem there doc. Is there nobody at your place could help?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

https://youtu.be/GUf9wsPFtJE
    That's probably a situation he would welcome this time. He's probably sh*tting bricks, knowing if he doesn't screw up he has this GE in the bag, it's all down to him.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

BluerBlue said:

Two reasons:

These are both important points, but the second especially so. One theory I've read, which I think has some merit, is that Johnson has agreed to the debates to remind the soft Remain segment of the Tory vote how scary the Far Left are, so that they won't be tempted to vote Lib Dem and risk letting Corbyn in through the middle.

I am just as worried as the rest of the anti-Labour pessimists that Johnson will stuff this up, but there is some reason to be hopeful. His task in this debate is actually quite simple. His record should be relatively easy to defend - he won the London Mayoralty twice, not many people will care about his competence or otherwise as Foreign Secretary, and he has that Withdrawal Agreement to sell, so he can concentrate on reminding the electorate that Labour wants to spend 17 squintillion quid on everything and that all of that spending will bankrupt the country and take all of them down along with it. Everyone has something to lose from that, apart from those who are already dirt poor who were only ever going to vote Labour in any case.

Beyond that, we also need to remind ourselves that 2017 was an exceptional election in that a dramatic shift in public opinion was measured during the course of the campaign. In a typical election campaign, most members of the public aren't paying much attention and most of those who are have already made their minds up, and will cherry-pick whatever comes out of a debate that best confirms their own opinions.

It is entirely possible that the debates will make little or no difference, and that your average voter will show more interest in I'm A Celebrity and the latest Prince Andrew revelations than they will in two politicians fighting at the end of years and years of politicians fighting.
    Are these debates going to move views of those who are voting on Brexit this election? I would say not.
  • Options

Also, I don't think Johnson has had a good debate in recent memory. He was dreadful during the leadership campaign.

Keep him away from the refreshments in the green room this time.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    spudgfsh said:

FPT:

Barnesian said:

I think UNS is fine for small changes in share. It's hopeless for large changes and clumping effects.

If LibDem national share goes from say 7% to 14% then the additive model adds 7% to the share in every constituency and the multiplicative model increases it by 100%.

So Constituency A goes from 2% to 9% with additive model and 2% to 4% with multiplicative.
    Constituency B goes from 20% to 27% with additive model and 20% to 40% with multiplicative.

The multiplicative model I think better reflects clumping i.e. rewarding strong seats and not weak seats.

My main model is now 75% additive and 25% multiplicative but I'm gradually increasing the multiplicative weighting.

Additive or multiplicative makes little difference to the Tory vote projection because the current share is near the 2017 share. It makes a big difference to the Labour and LD projections.

If I make the multiplicative weighting 100% it leaves the Tory seats unchanged but Labour drop another 20 seats and LDs gain another 20. But it is not a straight swap. The Tories lose an extra 20 seats to the LDs and gain an extra 20 seats from Labour.

The multiplicative model looks a bit like the model I used in 2010 whereas I didn't believe it. it tended not to get exact seats correct and my model didn't give a likelihood of a party winning a seat.

1) produce a rating system for each seat (from Safe, Likely, Lean to Tossup) and work out how close a seat needs to be to be in each one.
    3) work out, for each seat, how the parties who are not standing are going to react.
    Looks interesting. It would be good to be able to predict probabilities for each seat like Nate Silver does. But I don't have the time or resources. I guess you could use the predicted % majority as a proxy for probability. <2% : 50% probability, > 30%: 95% probability and so on.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Remember how Philip Hammond was completely kept out of the GE17 campaign and was clearly going to be sacked post election.

That was hilarious.
    Yep. I'm guessing we all know the names of the senior sources briefing that one. :lol:

Then again, where is Hammond now?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

He and Corbyn one to one is going to be a bit boring. They are both much better as great massdebaters.

Ah....
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

The Leave side are never going to go for it - that much is obvious.

But the Remain side might, in sufficient numbers.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    I don't think the debates will make much difference one way or another this time.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nichomar said:

How is a debate between the tories little helper and Johnson democratic?

I don't even understand the question you are asking. It's hardly undemocratic, at best its a little unfair on particularly the LDs, but they can get equivalent coverage, and since I have seem many comments in recent months that seeing Corbyn and Boris together is a great recruitment ad for other parties, it might not even be unfair on them unless that was nonsense..
  • Options
    Does anyone remember how Corbyn did in the TV debates last time?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Blimey. You really do have an addiction problem there doc. Is there nobody at your place could help?
    Nah. Leicester is dead this election, not seen any posters or activity at all by anyone.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    In other news the Americans are no longer going to consider any new or existing Israeli settlements illegal.

One may be setting up near you soon!
  • Options

Boris knows it doesn't matter if you look crap if you still win. While I think he has the most to lose out of this, let's not forget that Corbyn has a lot riding on his shoulders to turn things around, and Boris is a slippery devil - 'beating' Boris, even some lovely clippable moments that give Corbynites orgasms and make centrists despair, may not actually shift things that much.
  • Options

Not too badly, at least from what I can remember.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Surely you must know a doctor to help you with that? :)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I don't think the debates will make much difference one way or another this time.

That is true if played defensively, it is only gaffes that go viral, like May telling a Nurse that there is no magic money tree.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris knows it doesn't matter if you look crap if you still win. While I think he has the most to lose out of this, let's not forget that Corbyn has a lot riding on his shoulders to turn things around, and Boris is a slippery devil - 'beating' Boris, even some lovely clippable moments that give Corbynites orgasms and make centrists despair, may not actually shift things that much.
    If Corbyn looks less crap than people think he is, then he's done a good job IMHO.

Re the Brexit thing, it's true it's in the first half - but it's also possible that the second half being on much stronger ground for Labour, is a net negative for Johnson.

We will see.
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Two reasons:

Well said. I'm feeling oddly chipper about tomorrow, even though we've established that you are my pessimistic political twin. Remember that Trump beat Clinton in the debates despite Trump being stupider than Johnson and Clinton more intelligent than Corbyn. And despite the "pussygate" tapes coming out immediately before one of the debates!
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    I don’t think there is much upside on the total votes for Boris looking at today’s best prime minister numbers. I do think it could improve the solidity of that vote. Corbyn might uptick a few percent but if I were Johnson’s team I would have been working on some of the inconsistencies in the Labour policy platform such as how much 4 day week will cost, nationalisation costs, definitions of racism, who decides Labour policy - conference or Leader?. For Corbyn he needs to hammer home you can’t trust Boris - he needs to focus on the man not the team
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    So unless Corbyn wins we're stuck with Rees-Mogg? Gods.
  • Options
    RobD said:

He benefits from low expectations.
  • Options

kle4 said:

If Corbyn looks less crap than people think he is, then he's done a good job IMHO.

Everybody thinks that, his terrible ratings are hard to live down to once he gets more coverage and does his softly spoken grandad thing. It's whether it is as effective this time.
  • Options

He won merely by turning up.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

But a lot of people think Boris will do badly too, so both may benefit from that.
  • Options
    That has to be fake news?

Shirley the author of the letter isn't that cliched and thick?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

spudgfsh said:

FPT:

Barnesian said:

Looks interesting. It would be good to be able to predict probabilities for each seat like Nate Silver does. But I don't have the time or resources. I guess you could use the predicted % majority as a proxy for probability. <2% : 50% probability, > 30%: 95% probability and so on.
    I was planning something simple based on the outcome of the prediction and how big the majority would be. something like <1% majority is tossup 1-5% as lean 5-10% as likely and >10% as safe. it'd help put some error bars on any prediction it came out with.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    Well he was sacked, it just took a bit longer than expect.
  • Options

Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    He resigned.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a spreadsheet of the starting point for each constituency votes from 2017?

I am tempted to make my own as I don't think its fair to criticise Barnesian who at least has put his head above the parapet and not do something of my own.
  • Options

Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    He resigned, dopey
  • Options

Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    He resigned, dopey
    He was sacked from the party, sleepy.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

jaichind said:

https://twitter.com/Reuters

New ICM poll for @Reuters:
    Conservatives 42% (+3)
    Labour 32% (+1)
    Lib Dems 13% (-2)
    Brexit Party 5% (-3)

Labour solidly above 30 is concerning
    Their polling average is still below 30%.
    My EMA averages are
    Con/Lab/LD/BXP/Green
    40.4%/29.0%/14.9%/7.0%/3.1%

The effect of the slight tick up in Labour share is
    320/227/32/0/1

[Wait for incoming howls of ridicule]

EDIT: This includes effect of BXP not standing in a number of non-Tory seats.
    May I ask how your model did in 2017?
    I didn't have it then. I'd like to think it would have done rather well, but I would wouldn't I.

I'll have it open in the early hours of Dec 13th so I can monitor how the early results correspond to the model predictions. Later on the 13th I'll either have egg on my face or a big smirk.

I might even publish the latest version here on the 12th.
    All credit to you @Barnesian for putting the effort in and being willing to put your head above the parapet.

I hope you do publish a final version on the 12th, and I hope it proves accurate, but if it doesn't: no reason to be embarrassed about having made an honest attempt at a seat prediction model.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    edited November 2019
    People who've seen my posts will know i'm not going in for straw-clutching - I think there's huge Tory lead. But CorrectHorseBattery on the last thread picked up something potentially very important in the ICM poll, which showed a Tory lead of 6% before adjusting for turnout and 10% after. If you go to

https://www.icmunlimited.com/our-work/icm-voting-intentions-poll-general-election-2019-3/

and bring up the spreadsheet, then right-shift to show the extra cross-tabs, you find a column "Labour 2017 and majority <10% (E&W)". This is the target area where the parties are throwing most of their efforts.The figures for this subsample are;

Cn 33%
    Lab 44%
    LD 6%
    BXP 125
    Green 1%

If those figures were correct it'd be sensational - it would basically mean that Labour was getting out the tactical vote where it mattered. contrast with the Tory margin in the seats which were Tory in 2017 with majorities under 10%, which is where Labour would hope for gains in a normal year:

Con 51%
    Lab 25%
    LD 16%
    BXP 0%

The problem is that the subsamples are tiny - 121 and 148 respectively. But the difference is so striking that it seems worth noting. Labour is set to make zero gains as things stand. But possibly not that many losses.
  • Options

Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    He resigned, dopey
    As a result, being one of the few Tories who comes out of recent weeks with his reputation more or less intact.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Bumped into some jolly Lib dem canvassers tonight in Surton and Cheam..they had been down to Cheltenham at the weekend and were very bullish about their chances there..much less so in Sutton. They also think they have a chance in Mole valley(con maj around 23000)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    He resigned, dopey
    As a result, being one of the few Tories who comes out of recent weeks with his reputation more or less intact.
    His reputation was in shreds months ago, so yes recent weeks haven't changed that.
  • Options

Does anyone have a spreadsheet of the starting point for each constituency votes from 2017?

I am tempted to make my own as I don't think its fair to criticise Barnesian who at least has put his head above the parapet and not do something of my own.

The BES have one, with a bunch of additional useful data points:

https://www.britishelectionstudy.com/data-object/2017-bes-constituency-results-with-census-and-candidate-data/
  • Options
    Endillion said:

The BES have one, with a bunch of additional useful data points:

https://www.britishelectionstudy.com/data-object/2017-bes-constituency-results-with-census-and-candidate-data/
    Thank you.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    He resigned, dopey
    His reputation was in shreds months ago, so yes recent weeks haven't changed that.
    His reputation was as one of the sane people in the Tory party.

I know this did not exactly endear him to the ERG.

It is ironic to reflect, incidentally, that at the time he entered Parliament he was seen as a very hardline Eurosceptic.
  • Options
    Disgraceful.

Boris Johnson is as bad as Corbyn on antisemitism when it comes to dealing with Islamophobia.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1196482486605402112
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Is anyone else having issues trying to return to the site today?
  • Options

Electoral Calculus have a set of spreadsheets going back. I've also got a set of 2016 brexit vote shares by constituency from somewhere on the internet but can't remember where.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/flatfile.html
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I was forced to change my password the other day.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    The parachuted in candidate will still win by a country mile
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

That was hilarious.
    He resigned, dopey
    His reputation was as one of the sane people in the Tory party.

I know this did not exactly endear him to the ERG.

It is ironic to reflect, incidentally, that at the time he entered Parliament he was seen as a very hardline Eurosceptic.
    It's not ironic at all. A whole generation of Tory senior politicians courted the membership with speeches and Conhome articles about how the EU had been very naughty and how we should tinker with this or that EU regulation - they've all long since revealed where their true loyalties lay. Hammond fought tooth and claw to stay in the EU, not caring a shred for the damage to the UK. The fact he wasn't clever enough to manage it is his one saving grace.
  • Options

People who've seen my posts will know i'm not going in for straw-clutching - I think there's huge Tory lead. But CorrectHorseBattery on the last thread picked up something potentially very important in the ICM poll, which showed a Tory lead of 6% before adjusting for turnout and 10% after. If you go to

https://www.icmunlimited.com/our-work/icm-voting-intentions-poll-general-election-2019-3/

and bring up the spreadsheet, then right-shift to show the extra cross-tabs, you find a column "Labour 2017 and majority

Technically though, Labour doesn't need to make gains, they just need Johnson to lose seats to the Lib Dems and SNP.

I have no doubt a Corbyn-led Government won't last very long - but it may well hold together long enough to either force Corbyn to resign, or to have another referendum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

But a lot of people think Boris will do badly too, so both may benefit from that.
    The people I talk to seem to think Johnson is either fantastic ("a breath of fresh air") or they think he's dreadful.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    spudgfsh said:

dr_spyn said:

I was forced to change my password the other day.
    Me too but no issues today.
  • Options
    Corbyn has the ability to skewer Johnson on Brexit IMHO, if he can get him on the ropes in terms of what he intends to actually deliver.

So far it's "get Brexit done" but very few have asked "what the hell does that mean"?
This discussion has been closed.