Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Brexit Divisions

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Brexit Divisions

Political parties have always been coalitions in themselves. They are big tents and broad churches that try to keep everyone singing from more or less the same hymn sheet, or at least not fighting in the aisles. But sometimes you can see the stretch and the strain in the canvas as it tries to hold it all together. As James Maxton quipped during Labour party splits in the 1930s, “if you can’t ride two horses at once then you’ve no business being in the circus”.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    Thanks for the header. I wonder whether these splits will continue once Brexit is implemented?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Thanks for the header. I wonder whether these splits will continue once Brexit is implemented?

If
  • Options
    The thing is, everyone is divided on Brexit. The Conservatives are riven with divisions, but so is the whole country. The latest polling suggests 52% Remain vs 48% Leave.

We're all split.

In this light the position Labour finally arrived at is a very good one: offer a proper, decent, deal (Johnson's isn't) vs Remain. And Corbyn can be neutral. In fact, any politician can be neutral. Why not? Leave it to the people to have the final say.

It's great. Unfortunately, we've descended into playground politics and a grown-up approach is shouted down by a mixture of rabid right-wingers, revoking remainers and tabloid journalism.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

In this light the position Labour finally arrived at is a very good one: offer a proper, decent, deal (Johnson's isn't) vs Remain. And Corbyn can be neutral. In fact, any politician can be neutral. Why not? Leave it to the people to have the final say.

By the way, this is the reason they're changing tack and going hard into their own Labour Leave heartlands. They think they've found the golden ticket.

They're hammering the message to leavers that Johnson's deal is crap (it really is) and that they can get an improved one 'within six moths' that will protect trade and jobs. Then they offer that for a final say.

• Options

The thing is, everyone is divided on Brexit. The Conservatives are riven with divisions, but so is the whole country. The latest polling suggests 52% Remain vs 48% Leave.
    We're all split.
    It's great. Unfortunately, we've descended into playground politics and a grown-up approach is shouted down by a mixture of rabid right-wingers, revoking remainers and tabloid journalism.

I don't think it works for Labour. The country is divided over Brexit, but the Tories not so much anymore. The Remain wing has been amputated as the Pro-Euro Conservatives were two decades ago. When the electorate is this divided on an issue aligning totals with one side makes electoral sense.
    This is harder for Labour than the Tories because Remainers are more divided than Leavers. Is the objective to overturn the referendum? Or to ensure that Brexit doesn't destroy the economy and we can have the option of rejoining in ten years?
  • Options
    I think the strategy of the People's Vote campaign has been flawed from the start. It's focused on the process issue, of holding another referendum, rather than on the substance of winning the substantive argument for why Remaining would be better than Leaving.
    If they'd concentrated on arguing the points for a close relationship with the EU when outside then it would have made the case for Remaining too, and they might have moved the polls more than the derisory amount they may have shifted (if at all). A substantial change in public opinion would have made the case for a second referendum more clearly than anything else.
    This election would look very different if the overall pool of committed Leave voters had been whittled down to the mid-30s compared to the current mid-40s.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

We're all split.

I don't think it works for Labour. The country is divided over Brexit, but the Tories not so much anymore. The Remain wing has been amputated a
    Utter and arrant nonsense.

You may 'think' it has been resolved but it hasn't. The current situation is like Vesuvius the morning before the eruption. Several Brexiteer tories are going to feel the remainer wrath. And more generally by Dec 13th all hell will break loose once again in the tory party. The 1/3rd of remainer Tories also happen to represent the ground on which outright majorities are won.

In some ways, even though I'm a remainer, I'd find the idea of a single figure Johnson majority the most delicious of all.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    edited December 2019
    I have thought for a while that this election is almost an existential threat for whichever of the main parties loses.

If Boris wins and Brexit is done then Labour are likely to have some severe internal bloodletting whilst they decide the direction they are going to travel. I find it hard to see how they won't split.

The Tories wouldn't be in a much better position either if they lost.
  • Options

By the way, this is the reason they're changing tack and going hard into their own Labour Leave heartlands. They think they've found the golden ticket.

They're hammering the message to leavers that Johnson's deal is crap (it really is) and that they can get an improved one 'within six moths' that will protect trade and jobs. Then they offer that for a final say.

To leaver ears that is remain.

Labour are taking voters for fools if they think they will be able to sell that in the Mids/NW/NE.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I think the strategy of the People's Vote campaign has been flawed from the start. It's focused on the process issue, of holding another referendum, rather than on the substance of winning the substantive argument for why Remaining would be better than Leaving.
    If they'd concentrated on arguing the points for a close relationship with the EU when outside then it would have made the case for Remaining too, and they might have moved the polls more than the derisory amount they may have shifted (if at all). A substantial change in public opinion would have made the case for a second referendum more clearly than anything else.
    This election would look very different if the overall pool of committed Leave voters had been whittled down to the mid-30s compared to the current mid-40s.

For a start, Corbyn's not involved in the PV. He's offering a Final Say. It might seem like hair-splitting but the PV were full of Blairites who have spent a long time being critical of Corbyn on other issues.

I'm not at all sure what your comment about the derisory shift 'if at all' refers to. If you mean the national opinion polling then Labour's uptick has been commensurate with 2017 and they will be perfectly happy with where things are. I'm increasingly confident that we are heading for a hung parliament, at which point that's the end of Johnson. Brexit will then rest on Labour.

Generally, though, it's a good idea to save the post-mortem until the person's dead.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    Off topic, things that might cause problems which noone is talking about: https://www.markiteconomics.com/Public/Home/PressRelease/9700d3ef50b14031a556573fbb135f07
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

To leaver ears that is remain.

Labour are taking voters for fools if they think they will be able to sell that in the Mids/NW/NE.
    This comes back to a fundamental point: that Labour Leavers are not 'true Brexiteers.' They have never 'believed' in it ideologically like the Far Right. What they care about, as evidenced time and again in all opinion polling, is other issues which matter to them. This is why the Labour stance is now getting traction and why in the recent polling they have seen a 5% uplift in Labour Leave voters returning to Labour. Because their messags is that Johnson's deal will threatent their jobs, their livelihoods and the NHS.

It's a powerful message and it's working.

Labour are coming home. They always do.

Throw into that the brilliantly targetted LibDem work in key constituencies, masked in the national opinion polling, as well as the SNP gains in Scotland, and I am pretty sure now that we're looking at another hung parliament.

Oh and right on cue we have Donald Trump landing in Britain.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

We're all split.

I don't think it works for Labour. The country is divided over Brexit, but the Tories not so much anymore. The Remain wing has been amputated as the Pro-Euro Conservatives were two decades ago. When the electorate is this divided on an issue aligning totals with one side makes electoral sense.
    This is harder for Labour than the Tories because Remainers are more divided than Leavers. Is the objective to overturn the referendum? Or to ensure that Brexit doesn't destroy the economy and we can have the option of rejoining in ten years?
    There is also the little thing of the Remainers being asked to stand under one flag - a flag that comes with an anti-semite enabling Prime Minister. There will be many who will stick with the LibDems over Labour for this one, immutable truth: they can't vote for the current Labour Party, even if that condemns the country to Brexit.
    The LibDems are probably close to their floor now. There may still be some converts from the Tories who get jittery over the idea of Labour seeing power in any form. Anything less than a 10% lead and they will start holding their nose and voting for the blues. Their return will be concentrated in the very places the Libdems have been trumpeting - SE suburbia. And that will rob the LibDems of any chance of making more than a handful of gains.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    Very interesting from @corporeal
    What was in Heath's terms that turned Wilson against them? Or was it just internal party splits?
    I am a Remainer, but even I would concede that a renegotiation to keep in the SM and maintain close regulatory alignment on agricultural standards would be a form of Brexit that I could live with. Such a Deal would be the sort of Deal that puts the whole issue to bed apart from fringe extremes. It would also most likely put considerable restraints on the worst excesses of Labour economic policy. It would be a far better Deal.
  • Options

This comes back to a fundamental point: that Labour Leavers are not 'true Brexiteers.' They have never 'believed' in it ideologically like the Far Right.

Pretty offensive to claim that only the 'Far Right' believe in Brexit.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    SunnyJim said:

This comes back to a fundamental point: that Labour Leavers are not 'true Brexiteers.' They have never 'believed' in it ideologically like the Far Right.

Unselfaware as well, from this poster.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I am a Remainer, but even I would concede that a renegotiation to keep in the SM and maintain close regulatory alignment on agricultural standards would be a form of Brexit that I could live with. .

Me too
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SunnyJim said:

She’s a paid troll
    It’s not worth your time
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

Ideologically this has always been a Far Right fantasy. I think the main corpus of Leave voters go along with it for more pragmatic reasons, as well as few distatestful ones.

But as an ideology? It has always been Far Right. The bastards, as John Major called them. The Awkward Squad. The ERG, UKIP, the Brexit Party.

Even Margaret Thatcher wasn't a Brexiteer.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Me?
  • Options
    Off topic, this is a strange one:
    Labour pledges to cut rail fares by a third
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50621621
    Doesn't it rather undermine Labour's claims that renationalised industries would accrue profits to the taxpayer? Not, it has to be said, that I have ever heard them make that claim for railways.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

ydoethur said:

Me?
    No. Not you. Perhaps I should have said 'that' poster.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Charles said:

SunnyJim said:

She’s a paid troll
    It’s not worth your time
    She isn't Charles. Bot-calling and closing your mind to a genuine person is one of the many signs that this country is in trouble.

When the dust settles on this election I predict that 95% of people, you included, will come to see the visceral damage caused by the shenanigans of Johnson and Cummings.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Doesn't it rather undermine Labour's claims that renationalised industries would accrue profits to the taxpayer? Not, it has to be said, that I have ever heard them make that claim for railways.

The targeting logic seems wonky to me.

It may pull across a few LD's in the commuter areas of the SE but i'm not sure that is going to be helpful in the final reckoning.

And the press will quickly find very rich city types to trumpet the giveaway from Labour.

Probably won't go down too well further north.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

ydoethur said:

It may pull across a few LD's in the commuter areas of the SE but i'm not sure that is going to be helpful in the final reckoning.

And the press will quickly find very rich city types to trumpet the giveaway from Labour.

I don't think Northerners would mind cheaper railway fares. But equally fares North of Birmingham tend to be quite cheap anyway. I can do Birmingham to Hednesford for a couple of quid. Seventy pence off wouldn't make much difference. Even at peak, it's only a fiver.
  • Options
    Survation was a bit iffy for me. It shows Labour has closed the gap by 5 points since the election was called.

But they’re still 9 points behind. I still believe Labour can force a HP (LD vote looks terminal now) but they really need to get above 35% this week - and so far they have failed to do so.

Squeaky bum time for both sides I’d say.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Incidentally, regardless of what you think of me, the way in which a small group of right-wingers on here pile in together onto one person is poor show. You did it to CBD the other day and it was pretty off behaviour. This site isn't Guido Fawkes and it's good that people can air views across a spectrum without being personally eviscerated in the process.

I accept that calling Brexiteers 'Far Right' may appear offensive but I genuinely believe that it has always ideologically been the Golden Fleece of the Far Right. As I say, even Maggie wasn't a Brexiteer.

Have a good day! :wink:
  • Options

I agree. I think there's something in current polling for everyone. The trend, to me, looks like moving to Labour and a recast of 2017 but we shall see.
  • Options

Survation was a bit iffy for me. It shows Labour has closed the gap by 5 points since the election was called.

But they’re still 9 points behind. I still believe Labour can force a HP (LD vote looks terminal now) but they really need to get above 35% this week - and so far they have failed to do so.

It also depends on how honest people are being with posters. I can imagine people would be reluctant to admit they are voting for either main party at the moment. That then feeds into differential turnout.
    If the polls are correct, Tory majority looks close to certain. But that's a hell of an 'if.'
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

The rail pledge was greeted with much (though not universal) mockery when discussed on here last night. As far as I'm concerned, it's another bung like the WASPI bribe that appears not to be mentioned anywhere in the manifesto, has been conjured out of thin air and is uncosted (not that that ever bothered this iteration of the Labour Party.)

Whether this new giveaway has been dreamt up because Labour's internal polling and canvass returns suggest the bribes are working, or because they suggest that Labour is doing badly and they're getting desperate, I don't know. But this on-the-hoof policy making could easily backfire: the policy is disproportionately aimed at well-off commuters in South-East England, said commuters may well see through it and conclude that what the Government gives with one hand it will simply take with the other through much higher taxes, and people further up North who are getting less public funding and are much less likely to travel regularly by rail will notice more money for London/the rich (paid for out of their taxes) and be somewhat displeased.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

ydoethur said:

Or west.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    SunnyJim said:

I have thought for a while that this election is almost an existential threat for whichever of the main parties loses.

If Boris wins and Brexit is done then Labour are likely to have some severe internal bloodletting whilst they decide the direction they are going to travel. I find it hard to see how they won't split.

We've been predicting a possible Labour split for some time and it hasn't happened. Tribal loyalty (and the desire to hold on to their jobs) keeps trumping the divisions for almost the whole PLP. All those who were going to give up on Labour arguably already have.

The Tories, on the other hand, are in mortal danger if they lose power, for they are not loved and really have only one purpose in our political system: to act as a device for people who fear Labour to lock them out of power. If the Tories can't even beat a candidate for high office as obviously unsuitable as Jeremy Corbyn, so this argument goes, then what use are they?
  • Options
    Just waking up to the Survation poll. Very much convinced the Lab and LDem vote shares across a number of polls are masking significant tactical voting intention now. Of course how effective that will be remains to be seen. Key variables now: (a) vote efficiency for all parties; (b) tactical voting; (c) differential turnout; (d) whether the Pollsters have got their weighting’s right. Still intrigued by the raw poll data that is sampling more remain voters than leave before weightings applied although I don’t draw conclusions from it yet. Still hard not to see a Con majority at this stage.

• Options

Incidentally, regardless of what you think of me, the way in which a small group of right-wingers on here pile in together onto one person is poor show. You did it to CBD the other day and it was pretty off behaviour. This site isn't Guido Fawkes and it's good that people can air views across a spectrum without being personally eviscerated in the process.

I accept that calling Brexiteers 'Far Right' may appear offensive but I genuinely believe that it has always ideologically been the Golden Fleece of the Far Right. As I say, even Maggie wasn't a Brexiteer.

The problem with your bat-shit crazy-assed assessment is that it requires you to place the 17.4m who voted to Leave in the Far Right category. You know, the majority.
    And to have the majority of Labour MPs representing the Far Right.
    Your genuine beliefs are not worth listening to.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

We've been predicting a possible Labour split for some time and it hasn't happened. Tribal loyalty (and the desire to hold on to their jobs) keeps trumping the divisions for almost the whole PLP. All those who were going to give up on Labour arguably already have.

The Tories, on the other hand, are in mortal danger if they lose power, for they are not loved and really have only one purpose in our political system: to act as a device for people who fear Labour to lock them out of power. If the Tories can't even beat a candidate for high office as obviously unsuitable as Jeremy Corbyn, so this argument goes, then what use are they?
    To clean up the mess once Labour lose office again. As per the norm.
  • Options
    Wasn’t it around this time in 2017 that we started getting severe divergence in the polls and some started showing things like 1% leads? Or was that later and I’m misremembering?

I think Labour are definitely doing better than expected, but the key will be whether they can get the gap to 5% or below with a few pollsters.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Yep, it should be hard right. The far right is the BNP and possibly UKIP.

• Options
    The hard right is creating additional distress for bereaved families currently ...
    https://twitter.com/butwhatifitsall/status/1201288614329692161?s=21
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Ideologically this has always been a Far Right fantasy. I think the main corpus of Leave voters go along with it for more pragmatic reasons, as well as few distatestful ones.

But as an ideology? It has always been Far Right. The bastards, as John Major called them. The Awkward Squad. The ERG, UKIP, the Brexit Party.

Tony Benn and Eric Shore were though
  • Options

Charles said:

SunnyJim said:

She’s a paid troll
    It’s not worth your time
    She isn't Charles. Bot-calling and closing your mind to a genuine person is one of the many signs that this country is in trouble.

When the dust settles on this election I predict that 95% of people, you included, will come to see the visceral damage caused by the shenanigans of Johnson and Cummings.
    I’m not fan of Johnson, Cummings, Osborne or Brown. I had hopes for Cameron but he turned out to be a lightweight while Blair wasted his opportunity.

There are plenty of problems that need to be fixed in this country, but Corbyn and Macdonald would be untold damage to the fabric of society.

None of this alters the fact that I don’t believe you are what you say.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Charles said:

SunnyJim said:

Peter Shore, surely?
  • Options

And increasing chunks of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I’m not fan of Johnson, Cummings, Osborne or Brown. I had hopes for Cameron but he turned out to be a lightweight while Blair wasted his opportunity.

There are plenty of problems that need to be fixed in this country, but Corbyn and Macdonald would be untold damage to the fabric of society.

None of this alters the fact that I don’t believe you are what you say.

For a start, it seems unlikely she's the Virgin Mary.
  • Options

The problem with your bat-shit crazy-assed assessment is that it requires you to place the 17.4m who voted to Leave in the Far Right category. You know, the majority.

It’s not Mysticrose’s fault that you do not understand her posts. There is a big difference between the vast majority of those who voted for Brexit and those who believe in it ideologically. It’s the difference between, say, John Redwood and my 24 year old nephew who thinks he’ll earn more as an electrician if there are fewer Poles competing with him for jobs.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    By the way, the latest overnight forecasting model from GFS shows that Election Day will be snow chaos.

Might not happen but the runs keep on showing it. I've no idea what the net effect would be on voting apart from transport nigthmares but it really does show snow chaos for different parts of the UK through the day on Dec 12th with bitterly cold conditions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And increasing chunks of the Labour Party.

Yep, there is a point where the far left and far right essentially meets up.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

By the way, the latest overnight forecasting model from GFS shows that Election Day will be snow chaos.

Might not happen but the runs keep on showing it. I've no idea what the net effect would be on voting apart from transport nigthmares but it really does show snow chaos for different parts of the UK through the day on Dec 12th with bitterly cold conditions.

Bring it on
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Let it snow!

The oldies would have sent their postal votes in already, whilst the young will be too busy snowball fighting!
  • Options

Wasn’t it around this time in 2017 that we started getting severe divergence in the polls and some started showing things like 1% leads? Or was that later and I’m misremembering?

I think Labour are definitely doing better than expected, but the key will be whether they can get the gap to 5% or below with a few pollsters.

Labour's hope is pinned on a few of the pollsters - BMG, SavantaComRes, PanelBase- having got it right. Otherwise, if Deltapoll and Opinium are right they get smashed. If the rest are right, they still lose, just not so badly.
    FWIW, I wouldn't be too surprised to see today's Survation being close to the final. Maybe the Brexit Party vote squeezed down to nothing, to the slight benefit of the Tories. Labour's vote piled up where they don't need it, in the cities. The Tory vote thinned out where they can most afford it - SE England. The Labour vote thinned out where they can least afford it - Midlands and Northern marginals. The LibDem vote squeezed. A workable Tory majority.
    Labour not wiped out to the point where they HAVE to walk away from Corbynism, but clear enough to many they are stopping Labour from getting power. Ongoing civil war in the Labour ranks. Pressure on Swinson to step down. Farage into the Lords. SNP full of impotent rage because Boris won't let them have another referendum. As Boris goes down the rabbit hole of trade talks with the EU.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Let it snow!

The oldies would have sent their postal votes in already, whilst the young will be too busy snowball fighting!
    That is a good point. If there are problems voting on the day it’s likely to damage Labour more than the Tories given the demographics of their support and the means they use to vote.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

10 days out is still too far to take any deterministic run seriously. And it's the GFS - US garbage!! The gold standard ECMWF (yes, it's European so may not be liked by the Brexit nutters on here lol) suggests a southerly tracking jet keeping it relatively unsettled and cool. Ensemble guidance confirms the cool and unsettled flavour.

• Options
    JohnO said:

Charles said:

SunnyJim said:

Peter Shore, surely?
    In my defence, it was before I was born...

😂
  • Options

Bring it on
    The election won by an army of 4x4 drivers - all sporting Get Brexit Done stickers....
  • Options
    murali_s said:

10 days out is still too far to take any deterministic run seriously. And it's the GFS - US garbage!! The gold standard ECMWF (yes, it's European so may not be liked by the Brexit nutters on here lol) suggests a southerly tracking jet keeping it relatively unsettled and cool. Ensemble guidance confirms the cool and unsettled flavour.

https://twitter.com/spajw/status/1201405432230817792?s=21

• Options
    FPT - re: HMQ that’s a good example of how a lie travels half-way round the world before the truth gets its trousers on.
  • Options

It’s not Mysticrose’s fault that you do not understand her posts. There is a big difference between the vast majority of those who voted for Brexit and those who believe in it ideologically. It’s the difference between, say, John Redwood and my 24 year old nephew who thinks he’ll earn more as an electrician if there are fewer Poles competing with him for jobs.

I understand "her" posts are driven by trolling. Unlike you.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

Bring it on
    T shirt weather in Geordie land?
  • Options
    I’m enjoying chaos with Mick Cash in SWR this morning.

I have three weeks of it now.

It’s a militant union just like the NUM and needs to be Thatcherised, quite frankly.
  • Options

FPT - re: HMQ that’s a good example of how a lie travels half-way round the world before the truth gets its trousers on.

And just what was Truth up to?
    (Most people use “boots” not “trousers”)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Esher and Walton Con Hold Majority 3,000

Leigh Con Gain Majority 30

😇
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Foxy said:

Bring it on
    Its 3deg today and I’ve got a thin coat over my polo shirt. If it snows might have to whip out a sweatshirt.
  • Options

Bring it on
    The election won by an army of 4x4 drivers - all sporting Get Brexit Done stickers....
    :smiley:
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Right on the first, wrong on the second. 10 days is indeed too far out. But GFS is consistently far more accurate than ECM.
  • Options

All that basically means is that you don't agree with someone!!!
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    If I were to look at Labour's "cut by a 1/3" rail promise, that doesn't look like a party that thinks momentum (quite literally) is on their side
  • Options

Translation - you don’t agree with her, but can’t argue against her, so call her a troll.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Desperate stuff if people are now hanging on the weather - despite the evidence that with such high levels of car ownership, weather has made little different to turnout since the 1970s.

The story of this election might be remarkably simple. It began with the leave side sorting how best to organise its vote, and having watched this, now the Remain side is struggling to catch up. It’s a race against time.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Bring it on
    Its 3deg today and I’ve got a thin coat over my polo shirt. If it snows might have to whip out a sweatshirt.
    The ghost of my Geordie grandfather is nodding in sage approval.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

If I were to look at Labour's "cut by a 1/3" rail promise, that doesn't look like a party that thinks momentum (quite literally) is on their side

I said that last night

It really is stupid

I earn a good salary and yet Labour want to cut my fares?

Also I find (at least in my business) that those who commute furthest tend to be those earning high salaries.

Also - classic timing - whats the point of paying less if you increase union power and they will strike and disrupt your service.
  • Options

It’s a militant union just like the NUM and needs to be Thatcherised, quite frankly.

If they can deliver the revised timetable they’ve published, the strike is only having a marginal effect on the service.
  • Options

Translation - you don’t agree with her, but can’t argue against her, so call her a troll.

There is really no NEED to argue aganist someone who calls 17.4m voters the "Far Right". You were the one correcting "her" to saying no, that's the "Hard Right".

• Options
    edited December 2019
    IanB2 said:

If they can deliver the revised timetable they’ve published, the strike is only having a marginal effect on the service.
    Are they paying their drivers Cash in hand?
    Sorry, @Casino_Royale, couldn’t resist...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Exactly - reduce the price but increase the power of the unions

Classic stupidity from Labour
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    If the Tory lead is still narrowing, the rate of change seems pretty glacial now.

For me, the most important question about polling is whether - and if so when - YouGov is going to issue updates of its MRP model. Does anyone know?

The first release was last Wednesday, so weekly updates with the last one on the eve of poll would make sense.

• Options

It shows a party led by people with no grounding in reality. That is the case whatever position Labour occupies in the polls. This policy is not a measure of desperation, but of conviction. That makes it even more dangerous, of course, when put beside everything else Labour is promising.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

In the Southern Trains dispute the company was culpable. Utterly incompetent and political.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It’s a reminder why public owned services will lack the discipline necessary to keep costs down. Unless run as stand alone commercial entities.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Frosty again.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

Foxy said:

Bring it on
    Its -? here in Sussex ground frozen out in the country areas
  • Options

In 2019. Why don't we have driverless trains already? That surely has to be the solution.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    Morning all. Hard to see labours policy gamble as anything other than desperate. The electorate are right to be wary of a party that keeps giring out uncosted new policies after the manifesto launch,
    Panic is setting in. Their internal polling must utterly stink
  • Options
    edited December 2019

murali_s said:

Right on the first, wrong on the second. 10 days is indeed too far out. But GFS is consistently far more accurate than ECM.
    Wrong my dear!
    https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/allmodel/daily/cor/cor_day5_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png
    THE ECMWF is the clear leader in NWP. The GFS is not even second, it's behind UKMO's global model too. Little old blighty better than the yanks!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

Yay, more free stuff!
    How many hundreds of billions are we up to now, and how few people are deemed rich enough to simply roll over and pay all this extra money?
    Oh, and a big dead cat to take focus away from the fact that thousands of railwaymen are on strike again today.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Bring it on
    Its -? here in Sussex ground frozen out in the country areas
    A sharp frost here in rural south Devon too.
  • Options
    Chris said:

If the Tory lead is still narrowing, the rate of change seems pretty glacial now.

For me, the most important question about polling is whether - and if so when - YouGov is going to issue updates of its MRP model. Does anyone know?

The first release was last Wednesday, so weekly updates with the last one on the eve of poll would make sense.

I got the panellist questions yesterday, so they should be able to update weekly if they want to. Not sure there is much point in asking people now if they aren’t going to use the data reasonably promptly. Next weekend may be the final update.
  • Options

Morning all. Hard to see labours policy gamble as anything other than desperate. The electorate are right to be wary of a party that keeps giring out uncosted new policies after the manifesto launch,
    Panic is setting in. Their internal polling must utterly stink

The scary thing is, I think SO is right they always planned to do this.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    edited December 2019
    Intelligent comment from Corporeal as always. That said, I actually do think that Brexit division has peaked. The polls are showing a decline in people who think it's the key issue, and either we'll pull out or we'll have a referendum and almost certainly not pull out. After either outcome, people who obsess about it will be regarded with some horror by everyone else. Sure, there will be endless discussions about trade deals, but most people will switch off from those, even though they shouldn't.

Incidentally, one striking result in that Survation poll was the proportion who think immigration is important in deciding their vote. TWO per cent. Mysteriously, people have just stopped worrying about it.

Do we think that the Johnson attempt to big up "tough on terrorists" will work, by the way? I think his reputation makes it hard for him to sell - it's so obviously an election stunt. People who like him will like it, others simply won't believe there's anything concrete behind it and it's just more guff.
  • Options
    Floater said:

SWR are a disgrace - the worst railway I have ever taken. We have to put up with their shit service for quite a while now!
  • Options
    Floater said:

I said that last night

It really is stupid

I earn a good salary and yet Labour want to cut my fares?

Also I find (at least in my business) that those who commute furthest tend to be those earning high salaries.

Also - classic timing - whats the point of paying less if you increase union power and they will strike and disrupt your service.
    The strike occupies two of the top four trending topics on Twitter.

It seems to have stopped convincing itself the Queen is dead.
  • Options

There is really no NEED to argue aganist someone who calls 17.4m voters the "Far Right". You were the one correcting "her" to saying no, that's the "Hard Right".
    The 17.4 million are neither far right nor hard right, they are Leavers.
    Leaving is not a left/right issue.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Floater said:

SWR are a disgrace - the worst railway I have ever taken. We have to put up with their shit service for quite a while now!
    Be fair, they’re still some way behind the old Arriva Trenau Cymru in that regard.
    Have a good morning, good luck to all stranded commuters.
  • Options

It shows a party led by people with no grounding in reality. That is the case whatever position Labour occupies in the polls. This policy is not a measure of desperation, but of conviction. That makes it even more dangerous, of course, when put beside everything else Labour is promising.

That may well be, but what's surprising to me is that - after the events of the last few years, and the last few months in particular - Tory partisans can go on pretending that their party has any "grounding in reality" or any commitment to the country's well-being over narrow, short-term party advantage.

Surely "None of the Above" is head and shoulders above the other alternatives in this election.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Yay, more free stuff!
    How many hundreds of billions are we up to now, and how few people are deemed rich enough to simply roll over and pay all this extra money?
    Oh, and a big dead cat to take focus away from the fact that thousands of railwaymen are on strike again today.
    Hmmm. Labour don't seem to have taken on board that if you want to stop people talking about dead cats, then don't throw another dead cat on the table....
  • Options
    Chris said:

That may well be, but what's surprising to me is that - after the events of the last few years, and the last few months in particular - Tory partisans can go on pretending that their party has any "grounding in reality" or any commitment to the country's well-being over narrow, short-term party advantage.

Surely "None of the Above" is head and shoulders above the other alternatives in this election.

Without doubt!

• Options

Intelligent comment from Corporeal as always. That said, I actually do think that Brexit division has peaked. The polls are showing a decline in people who think it's the key issue, and either we'll pull out or we'll have a referendum and almost certainly not pull out. After either outcome, people who obsess about it will be regarded with some horror by everyone else. Sure, there will be endless discussions about trade deals, but most people will switch off from those, even though they shouldn't.

Incidentally, one striking result in that Survation poll was the proportion who think immigration is important in deciding their vote. TWO per cent. Mysteriously, people have just stopped worrying about it.

Do we think that the Johnson attempt to big up "tough on terrorists" will work, by the way? I think his reputation makes it hard for him to sell - it's so obviously an election stunt. People who like him will like it, others simply won't believe there's anything concrete behind it and it's just more guff.

Always harder for the governing party to campaign on "It's a disgrace, and something should be done about it."
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

You’re not a commuter on the SWR network, are you?
  • Options
    Charles said:

And just what was Truth up to?
    (Most people use “boots” not “trousers”)

I generally put my trousers on first.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

I got the panellist questions yesterday, so they should be able to update weekly if they want to. Not sure there is much point in asking people now if they aren’t going to use the data reasonably promptly. Next weekend may be the final update.
    I think we know they're updating the model daily, don't we?

I don't remember daily releases in 2017, but certainly there used to be a graph on the YouGov website showing the daily change over the final weeks of the campaign.
This discussion has been closed.