Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris, one time favourite the Democratic nomination, r

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris, one time favourite the Democratic nomination, reported to be pulling out of the race

The big new from the US is that the California Senator, Kamala Harris, is reported to be quitting the race for the nomination. This come less than six months after moving to the favourite slot following her performance in the first TV debate.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    edited December 2019
    Boo, though a truly great trading bet.

Oh was this a primus inter pares?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Remember folks: Post early and post often.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660
    O/T Not sure if this has been covered already here but this cannot be good for the country...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/dec/03/uk-six-richest-people-control-as-much-wealth-as-poorest-13m-study
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Completely O/T but carried on from last thread:

Within three years there will be 263 more weekly services, with destinations including Walsall, Gobowen and Llandudno getting direct services to and from London Euston.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/avanti-virgin-trains-london-west-coast-main-line-euston-birmingham-manchester-a9220776.html

As a vet’s son I know bullshit when I smell it. There simply are not 263 additional pathways for these trains. They couldn’t even find five daily for Cannock.

That is a pledge that could only be met when HS2 is finally opened, which is a lot more than three years away.

So the operators are one of stupid, mad, pig ignorant or lying. They are clearly not stupid or mad, and currently run a railway company. I’ll go with the ‘lying’ option.
  • Options
    Good stuff. I’ll be happy when Yang pulls out too, though suspect he’ll stay in quite a time yet.

Two of my other biggest lays aren’t even in the race!!
  • Options

Good stuff. I’ll be happy when Yang pulls out too, though suspect he’ll stay in quite a time yet.

Funny, they said that about Clinton as well.

But that was both before and after he was elected.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    What are people planning to sustain themselves with on election night I know popcorn is traditional but there must be better solutions, given the proximity of Christmas seasonal offerings or are just going to rely on a sick bag?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Within three years there will be 263 more weekly services, with destinations including Walsall, Gobowen and Llandudno getting direct services to and from London Euston.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/avanti-virgin-trains-london-west-coast-main-line-euston-birmingham-manchester-a9220776.html

As a vet’s son I know bullshit when I smell it. There simply are not 263 additional pathways for these trains. They couldn’t even find five daily for Cannock.

That is a pledge that could only be met when HS2 is finally opened, which is a lot more than three years away.

So the operators are one of stupid, mad, pig ignorant or lying. They are clearly not stupid or mad, and currently run a railway company. I’ll go with the ‘lying’ option.

It's 263 more stops per week.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

What are people planning to sustain themselves with on election night I know popcorn is traditional but there must be better solutions, given the proximity of Christmas seasonal offerings or are just going to rely on a sick bag?

Mincemeat.

Not in a pie you‘ll understand, just watching Labour being turned into it.
  • Options
    It was a really great call. You should be proud of it Mike. I got on at 66/1 too, but layed off most some while back.

She was a strong candidate but I think there were serious weaknesses in her campaign organisation.
  • Options

O/T Not sure if this has been covered already here but this cannot be good for the country...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/dec/03/uk-six-richest-people-control-as-much-wealth-as-poorest-13m-study

It’s simplistic nonsense.

If you confiscated all of their assets (all £39.4bn) and gave all of it equally to those 14 million they’d have... a one-off payment of £2,800 each.

Corbyn’s promising a bigger bung to the WASPIS.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Updated with the YouGov:

https://imgur.com/Y6NsnSA
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It's 263 more stops per week.
    Hmmm.

Still not convinced. For them to be expresses, that’s still far more extra trains than he WCML can manage.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Funny, they said that about Clinton as well.

But that was both before and after he was elected.
    It’s Hillary’s egotistical Twitter output that keeps her price low, so I’m happy.

Long may it continue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

When I was about six I was sent to the shops for 1/2 pound of mince. I came back with a large jar of mincemeat and couldn’t understand what I had done wrong, it was July but even so!
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    nichomar said:

I'm hoping to be drunk on sweet Labour tears.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Updated with the YouGov:

something about Labour having momentum, right?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Oh dear, what a shame, nevermind.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Updated with the YouGov:

We're right at that excruciating tipping point between "Oh, it was always going to be 2017 all over again, wasn't it?" and "Any fool can tell that pattern looks nothing at all like 2017, duh!".

• Options
    nichomar said:

Copious amounts of wine (though I have a new tradition of switching to whisky on the Scottish results) along with cured meats and cheese. The only way.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Billionaires have lots of money, in related news it turns out bears really do shit in the woods.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Thanks for the equity Harris
  • Options

nichomar said:

Copious amounts of wine (though I have a new tradition of switching to whisky on the Scottish results) along with cured meats and cheese. The only way.
    Some of us have to work the following morning.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

When I was about six I was sent to the shops for 1/2 pound of mince. I came back with a large jar of mincemeat and couldn’t understand what I had done wrong, it was July but even so!
    I'll be on Ryanair.com in case I have to move to Spain in the event of a CORBYNISTA win!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

That’s why it has to be copious amounts. Can’t be hungover if you’re still drunk.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

If you confiscated all of their assets (all £39.4bn) and gave all of it equally to those 14 million they’d have... a one-off payment of £2,800 each.

Good grief, where to begin?

1. No one is suggesting confiscating £39.4bn from six people and giving 14m £2,800 each.

(2. Although as an aside, if they did it would improve the sum of human happiness in the UK immeasurably.)

3. Most of those 14m have no assets at all beyond the clothes they wear and the furniture they sit on - quite a few don't even have the furniture.

4. What is that £39bn doing exactly?

5. Why would anyone need more than a few million let alone multiple billions? what's the point of it?

6. Where precisely is the "simplistic nonsense" in the article?
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

nichomar said:

I'm hoping to be drunk on sweet Labour tears.
    It’s all an hour later for me so I run out of steam and whatever popcorn I laid in far to early. Will only stay past the exit poll if it looks interesting. In 2015, my wife, who has memory problems came down having gone to bed at nine as normal came down took one look at the exit poll and asked if she had died and gone to hell, I said no that was unfortunately last year but thankfully she didn’t understand my comment.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

Bloody third time in a row I'm overseas for a major political event. Referendum I was in Greece, 2017 I was in Japan and this time I'll be in Hungary. Unfortunately it severely limits my betting ability.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Ave_it said:

nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

I'll be on Ryanair.com in case I have to move to Spain in the event of a CORBYNISTA win!
    At least you might be able to keep your freedom of movement and healthcare rights if that happens . If Bozo screws up you’ll be stuck in the UK .
  • Options

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

That’s why it has to be copious amounts. Can’t be hungover if you’re still drunk.
    There are clauses in my contract about not turning up drunk.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    she’s been a dreadful senator. almost as bad as boxer.
  • Options

1. No one is suggesting confiscating £39.4bn from six people and giving 14m £2,800 each.

(2. Although as an aside, if they did it would improve the sum of human happiness in the UK immeasurably.)

3. Most of those 14m have no assets at all beyond the clothes they wear and the furniture they sit on - quite a few don't even have the furniture.

5. Why would anyone need more than a few million let alone multiple billions? what's the point of it?

4. These people sit there all day looking at their respective bank balances. It's not as if most of the wealth is tied up in companies they have built, no, that's obviously not the answer. 🙄
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Billionaires have lots of money, in related news it turns out bears really do shit in the woods.
    Out of interest, is there any level of inequality that you would consider too much?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

Well if you want any advice..
  • Options

I'll only bother answering your 5.:

It's none of your business. But once the Government decides they can confiscate 999 pounds out of every 1000 you have, property rights are dead and the entire economic system collapses. And that's everyone's business.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    BBC London News reporting that Labour are in with a chance of winning Guildford...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Out of interest, is there any level of inequality that you would consider too much?
    No. It's the politics of envy and it does none of us any good. What we need to do is ensure that those wealthy people feel as though they can invest in this country and create jobs for the rest of us. Taxing them into leaving won't achieve anything, really.
  • Options
    Whisper it quietly but I'm starting to wonder if Trump might romp home in the general.
    Bloomberg too disliked and entering race late, Sanders will get support but not enough to win. Buttigieg can't get any black voters, and Warren has peaked too soon. Which leaves err... Joe Biden.
    He can stave off mental degradation till March but I reckon by the time November comes round it's going to be in full view - Trump whilst obese and not the picture of health himself has got most of his faculties...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

BBC London News reporting that Labour are in with a chance of winning Guildford...

No they are not the labour candidate is
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

No. It's the politics of envy and it does none of us any good. What we need to do is ensure that those wealthy people feel as though they can invest in this country and create jobs for the rest of us. Taxing them into leaving won't achieve anything, really.
    So if one person (me for instance) owned all the wealth and the rest of you none of it you'd be fine with that?

PS A lot of this wealth is property - those owning it aren't going to be taking that out of the country when they leave.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Lmao ! Guildford. Absolutely no chance .
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Labour!?!
  • Options
    On rich people, are you proposing that Jim Ratcliffe should give up all of his shares in Ineos (the source of his wealth) to the government @Benpointer?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Charles said:

She looks good though. Like Vanessa Williams if you scrunch your eyes up.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    or just leave him alone?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So if one person (me for instance) owned all the wealth and the rest of you none of it you'd be fine with that?
    Do we live in a two person country, because I'd be more upset about that.
  • Options
    You know that BBC thing that they used to do in the FA Cup where they start with a lowly club in the early rounds, until they are beaten and then switch to following the club that beats them, and so on until the Final.....

Well on the basis of personal preference not likelihood of winning, that's me on the US Presidential. I started on Sherrod Brown and when he got nowhere switched to Kamala Harris.....

All I am looking for is a plausible centrist candidate who is under 70 years old. Is that too much to ask? Mayors of small towns need not apply.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Labour!?!
    I hadn't believed the stories about the BBC collaborating with the Tories until this moment... :wink:
  • Options

You know that BBC thing that they used to do in the FA Cup where they start with a lowly club in the early rounds, until they are beaten and then switch to following the club that beats them, and so on until the Final.....

Well on the basis of personal preference not likelihood of winning, that's me on the US Presidential. I started on Sherrod Brown and when he got nowhere switched to Kamala Harris.....

All I am looking for is a plausible centrist candidate who is under 70 years old. Is that too much to ask? Mayors of small towns need not apply.

Mayor Pete!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

Reporter said "now some polls show Labour is in with a fighting chance."
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,885
    tlg86 said:

That’s great news for the Tories, they’ll win if it turns into a three way fight.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

Well if you want any advice..
    TY I'll let you know! :lol:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

That’s like my fighting chance to lose two stone and get a six pack ! Basically zero !
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,885
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

One doesn’t make the poor richer, simply by making the rich poorer.
  • Options

It’s the implication that the wealthy are hogging the real wealth of the poor, who should rightly have it instead that bothers me.

It’s been the cry of socialists throughout the ages since time immemorial and it’s as much bullshit now as it was then.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Charles said:

She looks good though. Like Vanessa Williams if you scrunch your eyes up.
    This is the only Kamala I've ever heard of -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAjoiKSFAw
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

I don't think you'll have to stay up too long.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

PS A lot of this wealth is property - those owning it aren't going to be taking that out of the country when they leave.
    You will always have a small number at the very top who’ve done, comparatively, very well. Many thousands more try and fail. It’s a statistically tiny number and the sign of a dynamic economy.

There’s no good that can come to wider society by expropriating their assets.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

God, you wonder how some BBC reporters get the job.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    BluerBlue said:

RobD said:

Updated with the YouGov:

We're right at that excruciating tipping point between "Oh, it was always going to be 2017 all over again, wasn't it?" and "Any fool can tell that pattern looks nothing at all like 2017, duh!".

It’s not in anyone’s interests to say the latter. Certainly journalists who were made to look stupid last time. A “it could change until the last minute” narrative gives a justification for being wrong.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

It's none of your business. But once the Government decides they can confiscate 999 pounds out of every 1000 you have, property rights are dead and the entire economic system collapses. And that's everyone's business.
    Who's suggesting confiscating £999 out of every £1000?

How about we start with 1% p.a. on wealth over a £3m. Just from the top 1% in other words, but since they own over £1.3tn that would bring in £13bn each year.

And they'd hardly notice it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Actually you do, every time they buy stuff. And we can, and should, get them to buy more of our stuff. But that's too proactive for many people, so they prefer just getting annoyed about it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You will always have a small number at the very top who’ve done, comparatively, very well. Many thousands more try and fail. It’s a statistically tiny number and the sign of a dynamic economy.

You say expropriating, I say taxing :smile:
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    or just leave him alone?
    It doesn't matter if you are a hero or a villain, the British press will not rest until it has hurt you.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Whisper it quietly but I'm starting to wonder if Trump might romp home in the general.
    Bloomberg too disliked and entering race late, Sanders will get support but not enough to win. Buttigieg can't get any black voters, and Warren has peaked too soon. Which leaves err... Joe Biden.
    He can stave off mental degradation till March but I reckon by the time November comes round it's going to be in full view - Trump whilst obese and not the picture of health himself has got most of his faculties...

I’ve thought Trump might win (if he stands) for some time.

Mayor Pete strikes me as someone who could beat him. I think the black voters thing is a myth (rcs convinced me of that).
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Worrying about billionaires is a distraction maybe more analysis of CEO vs average employee earnings as a ratio tells you more of direction. It has grown dramatically as CEO’s and other senior managers are awarded pay rises far outstripping those that work for them
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Actually you do, every time they buy stuff. And we can, and should, get them to buy more of our stuff. But that's too proactive for many people, so they prefer just getting annoyed about it.
    If you want that wealth to be used to 'buy stuff' move it to the poor... they spend money rather than sit on it.
  • Options
    BluerBlueBluerBlue Posts: 521
    edited December 2019

BluerBlue said:

How about we start with 1% p.a. on wealth over a £3m. Just from the top 1% in other words, but since they own over £1.3tn that would bring in £13bn each year.

Are you utterly ******* insane? Most people's "wealth" is not in the form of liquid assets or currency that can be used to pay your spiteful envy taxes.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    RobD said:

Updated with the YouGov:

The lead line is just about precisely flat for the last 6 days.
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Most people with £3m in assets would struggle to pay your £30,000 wealth tax on top of their income tax etc.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

Bloody third time in a row I'm overseas for a major political event. Referendum I was in Greece, 2017 I was in Japan and this time I'll be in Hungary. Unfortunately it severely limits my betting ability.
    Ok, legitimately puzzled. All the bookies have online sites and you can open an account. Can't you log on from abroad?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

tlg86 said:

nichomar said:

tlg86 said:

God, you wonder how some BBC reporters get the job.
    They had a poll in the BBC office.
  • Options
    On the subject of Corbyn and billionaires, there was a great line in the CityAM editorial this morning:

Jeremy Corbyn is well and truly getting into the Christmas spirit — he’s making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who’s naughty or nice, Jeremy is coming to town.

Momentum activists could turn that into a Christmas number one. But who’s on the Labour leader’s list?

Well, he’s pretty clear about who’s been naughty. Indeed, he revels in pointing the finger at bad bosses, fat cats, bankers, hedge funds, polluters, privatisers, Tories (obviously) and of course, billionaires.

Corbyn sees billionaires everywhere. He claims they wrote the Tory manifesto, and that they paid for it. This seems like a poor deal

https://www.cityam.com/corbyn-cant-fix-your-miserable-commute/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You say expropriating, I say taxing :smile:
    Then, that’s a different argument.

You might be able to bring in a few extra billions (maybe tens of billions) a year with a 1-2% wealth tax (any more than that and they’d bugger off or do something else with the money) but again it’s not going to be transformative when spread across 14 million people.

What will be is affordable housing, help with childcare, good schools, stable families and good well-paid jobs.

For that you need a strong economy and a sensible Government following the right policies.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

Ok, legitimately puzzled. All the bookies have online sites and you can open an account. Can't you log on from abroad?
    From Spain if I bet on a Spanish site I can bet on most things but last time I looked there was no UK Politics, without a VPN I can’t access a UK betting site. Telephone accounts would solve that.
  • Options
    Let's seize the means of production! Capitalists out!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Updated with the YouGov:

The lead line is just about precisely flat for the last 6 days.
    https://i.imgur.com/VRmgDj7.gif
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Most people with £3m in assets would struggle to pay your £30,000 wealth tax on top of their income tax etc.
    Nonsense. If they cannot make >4% + inflation from it they are being badly advised. In which case they will just have to live with £2,970,000 next year (when they will fall below the @Benpointer Wealth Tax threshold).
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Since 2001 it's been Doritos and dip. Usually garlic dip. It used to be Schloer as well, tho' that's not too good these days.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

If you want that wealth to be used to 'buy stuff' move it to the poor... they spend money rather than sit on it.
    I agree, but doing so is not just about taking that wealth by law, it is about attracting it.
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Nonsense. If they cannot make >4% + inflation from it they are being badly advised. In which case they will just have to live with £2,970,000 next year (when they will fall below the @Benpointer Wealth Tax threshold).
    Given that the majority of assets are in primary residences how do those people pay for it? Do they sell small bits of their house?
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

Are you utterly ******* insane? Most people's "wealth" is not in the form of liquid assets or currency that can be used to pay your spiteful envy taxes.
    £3m in assets and none of it liquid? You're the one who's insane.
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

But how do they make 4% returns on it when most is tied up in their home?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

nichomar said:

Since 2001 it's been Doritos and dip. Usually garlic dip. It used to be Schloer as well, tho' that's not too good these days.
    I’m going down the cheddar cheese chocolate peanuts and shortbread biscuits with high quality Spanish red wine until I can’t stand up, that ensures I get up every hour to track progress whilst looking after other problems.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019

BluerBlue said:

Why are you assuming those with £3m in assets have it invested in anything much more than their house It business? I’m being slightly provocative but if you’re in single digit millions it’s not always the case that you have much in the way of liquidity. Make it £10m and I start to agree (with some concerns about marginal tax rates).
  • Options

We’ve swung from youngish leaders (B Clinton, Cameron, Obama, Blair) to a gerontocracy who seem immune to original thought or any desire to go away.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

Given that the majority of assets are in primary residences how do those people pay for it? Do they sell small bits of their house?
    What proportion of people own houses valued at >£3m?

What proportion of the wealthiest 1% have all their assets tied up in their main residence? I'd guess none of them but if I'm wrong, they can always downsize.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

It's a problem that most people wouldn't mind having. Few asset-holders have their entire wealth in illiquid form.

This is, after all, akin to Swiss policy. The Swiss feel that a modest wealth tax is helpful in inducing the wealthy to invest their wealth profitably, seeling off land they don't need etc. I've not heard that people are fleeing Switzerland as a result.
  • Options
    matt said:

We’ve swung from youngish leaders (B Clinton, Cameron, Obama, Blair) to a gerontocracy who seem immune to original thought or any desire to go away.
    Macron, Trudeau?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2019
    Looks like someone's betfair bot went haywire, and was handing out evens for Con over317.5 (guessing they meant to play the over/under 340.5). Correct price is 1.20-1.25 or so, it's reset back to that now.

Expensive mistake :-)
  • Options
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

nichomar said:

I’m going down the cheddar cheese chocolate peanuts and shortbread biscuits with high quality Spanish red wine until I can’t stand up, that ensures I get up every hour to track progress whilst looking after other problems.
    Sounds splendid!
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

You and Corbyn / McDonnell deserve each other. Although I notice that even they weren't stupid enough to propose something so electorally poisonous in their manifesto!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Mincemeat.

From Spain if I bet on a Spanish site I can bet on most things but last time I looked there was no UK Politics, without a VPN I can’t access a UK betting site. Telephone accounts would solve that.
    Some bookmakers do still offer telephone betting. I'll check my notes tonight, see if I can dig out some numbers.
  • Options

It's a problem that most people wouldn't mind having. Few asset-holders have their entire wealth in illiquid form.

This is, after all, akin to Swiss policy. The Swiss feel that a modest wealth tax is helpful in inducing the wealthy to invest their wealth profitably, seeling off land they don't need etc. I've not heard that people are fleeing Switzerland as a result.
    That is the old school Liberal argument, and I understand it, but I tend to think that if you’ve earned income and want to shove it under your mattress then that’s your choice. You’ve already been taxed on it.

Now if we discussed income tax and council tax reforms at the same time...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

BluerBlue said:

What proportion of people own houses valued at >£3m?

What proportion of the wealthiest 1% have all their assets tied up in their main residence? I'd guess none of them but if I'm wrong, they can always downsize.
    How about you downsize your desire for other people's assets instead?
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Why are you assuming those with £3m in assets have it invested in anything much more than their house It business? I’m being slightly provocative but if you’re in single digit millions it’s not always the case that you have much in the way of liquidity. Make it £10m and I start to agree (with some concerns about marginal tax rates).
    Well, I'd compromise on £10m to get started. Or how about 1% of everything above £3m.

I know a few of you are thinking envy tax etc. but honestly, I am comfortably off, not envious. I just think we need to address the inequality a bit more than we currently do.
  • Options

matt said:

Macron, Trudeau?
    I was thinking particularly of the US and the U.K.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    RobD said:

Updated with the YouGov:

That should calm some Tory nerves a bit.
This discussion has been closed.