Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Protecting Our Democracy?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Protecting Our Democracy?

Remember the Supreme Court cases on prorogation or Article 50? How irrelevant they seem if, as polls indicate, the Tories get a majority. With 7 days to go, can there be a better time to wheel out Wilson’s dictum about a week being a long time in politics?  There cannot. Consider it duly wheeled out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 24,923
    I will add this at the same time

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1202523613062213632

Democracy only works if scrutiny is enforced.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    It's easy for cheerleaders to say this fear is ridiculous or that Johnson was right every time and so it doesn't count, but I really feel this article articulates a very real threat. If parties feel it is legitimate to change the rules of the game to try and win then that's a very difficult genie to put back in the bottle. Tory tinkering would invite Labour tinkering if they win, and we've seen from the US that the country can quickly become ungovernable in any productive sense.
  • @Philip_Thompson FPT

Thanks you for your kind and thoughtful little post. Like you, I have personal reasons for finding it especially odious but let's no go there on this sunny morning. We can shake hands on our hostility to AS and enjoy the rest of the day.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,126
    Pleased to see the collapsing thread comments feature to have been restored.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900
    Morning all
    Con gain Annunziata Rees-Mogg
  • Tom Newton Dunn

Annunziata Rees-Mogg has resigned from the Breixt Party to say vote Tory, Nigel Farage conforms. So Jacob has been busy after all.
  • Tom Newton Dunn

Annunziata Rees-Mogg has resigned from the Breixt Party to say vote Tory, Nigel Farage conforms. So Jacob has been busy after all.

Nigel Farage conforms. He always did.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900
    4 Brexit MEPs quit to back Boris
  • eek said:

Boris is live on BBC tomorrow v Corbyn

Democracy and scrutiny on live tv

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,885
    The Supreme Court acted in the prorogation case to make Parliament sovereign. Parliament will still be sovereign after the election, and the Supreme Court was established in 2009.
    It's not some immutable law of God that it remains in its present form forever.
  • If Boris sidelines Parliament and gives ultimate power to the executive then the UK's history as a democracy ends and we begin our first dictatorship in 350 years.

The only laugh will be when the Tories lose a future election and then complain about the sweeping powers they granted to a Labour government.
  • alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    The best article I have read on this site, and the clearest explanation I have seen for why today's Conservative Party is nothing to do with the Conservative Party of the past that we could respect even if we voted for others. The mutterings of Johnson and his band of cronies reminds me far more of Victor Orban than of serious Conservative politicians, including Thatcher and Major.
  • SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    eek said:

I can't help but feel this is sour grapes from Labour supporters after their man was humiliated by Andrew Neil.

It was Corbyn's choice to be interviewed just as Boris has chosen to be interviewed countless times elsewhere.

And to claim only a sit down with AN will provide proper scrutiny over an election cycle is laughably childish.

• Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2019
    If Boris Brexits us then we just delay No Deal a few months, possibly a couple of years.
  • Moves by Brexit members today to the tories must be the precursor to Farage instructing his party to vote for Boris
  • @Philip_Thompson FPT

Thanks you for your kind and thoughtful little post. Like you, I have personal reasons for finding it especially odious but let's no go there on this sunny morning. We can shake hands on our hostility to AS and enjoy the rest of the day.

Thank you Peter, that was kind and thoughtful yourself. That's a good idea.:)
  • JamesPJamesP Posts: 85
    Conservative Overall Majority now below 1.4 again (1.39) on Betfair.

Is there anyway to see the absolute lowest figures on this market in the last month or so? I remember seeing 1.37, but nothing lower.
  • alb1on said:

The best article I have read on this site, and the clearest explanation I have seen for why today's Conservative Party is nothing to do with the Conservative Party of the past that we could respect even if we voted for others. The mutterings of Johnson and his band of cronies reminds me far more of Victor Orban than of serious Conservative politicians, including Thatcher and Major.

That is just ridiculous
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

eek said:

I can't help but feel this is sour grapes from Labour supporters after their man was humiliated by Andrew Neil.

It was Corbyn's choice to be interviewed just as Boris has chosen to be interviewed countless times elsewhere.

And to claim only a sit down with AN will provide proper scrutiny over an election cycle is laughably childish.

At the end of the day Boris didnt need to do AN, Jezza felt he did (but possibly shouldnt have). It is very different to running away from a debate. Boris has done plenty of interviews and debates and I suspect the majority of the public either don't know AN or have no idea his reputation as an interviewer is streets ahead of the guys like Marr and Peston that they see on the news.

Moves by Brexit members today to the tories must be the precursor to Farage instructing his party to vote for Boris

Hmmm...i'm not so sure.

If that was the plan Farage would have trailed the 'huge announcement' to ensure he had the spotlight.
  • If Boris Brexits us then we just delay No Deal a few months, possibly a couple of years.

I think it depends on Boris majority.

The larger the majority the more room for him to compromise to get a deal
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,035
    eek said:

I will add this at the same time.

Yes, something like this should happen. Or if this is contra Ofcom something similar but allowable. Do it, Beeb. Your reputation depends on it.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,813
    JamesP said:

Is there anyway to see the absolute lowest figures on this market in the last month or so? I remember seeing 1.37, but nothing lower.

I got on NOM at 4.0 and cashed out at 3.05.

Only bets I now have is on Skinner holding Bolsover at 5/4 and Toby holding Chesterfield at 1/3
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

SunnyJim said:

eek said:

At the end of the day Boris didnt need to do AN, Jezza felt he did (but possibly shouldnt have). It is very different to running away from a debate. Boris has done plenty of interviews and debates and I suspect the majority of the public either don't know AN or have no idea his reputation as an interviewer is streets ahead of the guys like Marr and Peston that they see on the news.
    The issue here is that the BBC weren't ruthless enough as no-one sane would willingly do an interview with Andrew Neil.

Equally it's highly unlikely you would gain anything by attending so in the same way I said it was pointless for a Tory candidate to appear at an climate change hustings (their time would be more productively spent elsewhere) it's equally true here.
  • alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    No, it is on point. The current Conservative party is not the party from a few years ago. It has become the Nasty Party again. With nobs on....
  • SunnyJim said:

Moves by Brexit members today to the tories must be the precursor to Farage instructing his party to vote for Boris

Hmmm...i'm not so sure.

If that was the plan Farage would have trailed the 'huge announcement' to ensure he had the spotlight.
    I am sure it was not planned but if his party is deserting him it is a way to save face
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,885
    SunnyJim said:

Hmmm...i'm not so sure.

The remaining Brexit party voters are either ex Labour leavers who can't bear to vote for the Tories, or VERY politically confused/naive people so it wouldn't make much difference anyway.
    edited December 2019

alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    No. It is ridiculous to believe that the likes of Baker and Francois would have ever got onto the candidates list under Thatcher. And Patel would have been instantly suspended and deselected for her treachery in Tel Aviv rather than being rewarded as with Boris.
    You may dislike the truth, but it is that the willingness of the current crop of Conservatives to bend any rule, including that of the law, for their own ends that is just as dangerous as the fanaticism of large parts of Labour (and their willingness to ignore the law and treaty obligations, as with their nationalisation proposals). When the law becomes dispensable, so do the people.
  • kinabalu said:

eek said:

Yes, something like this should happen. Or if this is contra Ofcom something similar but allowable. Do it, Beeb. Your reputation depends on it.
    Sour grapes. This is politics.

When Cameron was PM, Andrew Neil used to joke about the fact no party leader wanted to be interviewed by him despite him offering himself for interviews. Just because Corbyn chose to drink from a poisoned chalice doesn't mean anybody else has to do so.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,383
    alb1on said:

alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    No. It is ridiculous to believe that the likes of Baker and Francois would have ever got onto the candidates list under Thatcher. And Patel would have been instantly suspended and deselected for her treachery in Tel Aviv rather than being rewarded as with Boris.
    You may dislike the truth, but it is that the willingness of the current crop of Conservatives to bend any rule, including that of the law, for their own ends is just as dangerous as the fanaticism of large parts of Labour (and their willingness to ignore the law and treaty obligations, as with their nationalisation proposals. When the law becomes dispensable, so do the people.
    It's fortunate that the voters are going to have a chance to judge the fitness for office of the likes of Patel, Francois and Baker in just 7 days from now.
    Good header. This area is not 'sexy' but it is crucial. When we talk about the need to invest in and improve our national infrastructure we should remember that the justice system, high to low, constitutional, civil, criminal, is one of the most important elements of that. Perhaps the most important. Trust "Boris" with it? One giggles nervously.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,080

alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    In your opinion. But what's that worth?
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,693

JamesP said:

Only bets I now have is on Skinner holding Bolsover at 5/4 and Toby holding Chesterfield at 1/3
    I`m on Tories in Bolsover at 5/4. Do you have particular insight into that consitituency?
  • If Boris Brexits us then we just delay No Deal a few months, possibly a couple of years.

I think it depends on Boris majority.

The larger the majority the more room for him to compromise to get a deal
    I fear both Boris and Corbyn and I do not delude myself that Swinson could run a bath, never mind a govt.

Two cultists and a lightweight....

I am hoping for a Boris OR Corbyn minority govt so we can limit the damage from either of these fools.
    alb1on said:

alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    You may dislike the truth, but it is that the willingness of the current crop of Conservatives to bend any rule, including that of the law, for their own ends that is just as dangerous as the fanaticism of large parts of Labour (and their willingness to ignore the law and treaty obligations, as with their nationalisation proposals). When the law becomes dispensable, so do the people.
    Francois yes - but Baker?
    alb1on said:

alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    You may dislike the truth, but it is that the willingness of the current crop of Conservatives to bend any rule, including that of the law, for their own ends is just as dangerous as the fanaticism of large parts of Labour (and their willingness to ignore the law and treaty obligations, as with their nationalisation proposals. When the law becomes dispensable, so do the people.
    The other of side of that argument is "Could it be that Baker, Francois and Patel are the best candidates available?" - as most people have found easier and more pleasant ways to earn a living.

Why would anyone with multiple options go into Politics in this day and age. The amount of grief Social media and 24 hours has created means it's a completely thankless and even dangerous job.
    kinabalu said:

Good header. This area is not 'sexy' but it is crucial. When we talk about the need to invest in and improve our national infrastructure we should remember that the justice system, high to low, constitutional, civil, criminal, is one of the most important elements of that. Perhaps the most important. Trust "Boris" with it? One giggles nervously.

I found it sexy.

No, it is on point. The current Conservative party is not the party from a few years ago. It has become the Nasty Party again. With nobs on....

If Boris had been in Thatcher's cabinet he would have been dripping wet.

Once Brexit is confirmed then the hysterical haze that fogs brains on both sides of the argument might clear and reveal a Conservative government that will be very much in the one-nation mould.

Andy_JS said:

It's fortunate that the voters are going to have a chance to judge the fitness for office of the likes of Patel, Francois and Baker in just 7 days from now.

They're in 'blue rosette on donkey' territory, aren't they?
  • kinabalu said:

eek said:

When Cameron was PM, Andrew Neil used to joke about the fact no party leader wanted to be interviewed by him despite him offering himself for interviews. Just because Corbyn chose to drink from a poisoned chalice doesn't mean anybody else has to do so.
    It's projection. When Magic Grandpa does not sweep all before him it will be because Boris didn't do Neil - hence its the BBC's fault and there should be an enquiry......bit like blaming a bus for a referendum loss...
  • alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    I reject that. It is brexit that is causing anger to remainers but the 17.4 million who voted for it were across the political spectrum and for many of us who voted remain we want brexit to happen as we respect the democratic vote

On domestic issues Boris is from the liberal wing of the party and it is an easy line for labour and remainers to try to paint the party as right wing.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    I have always thought the last tweet is the root cause of the inaction by The Labour Party. If Corbyn can say he did not see the image he liked on Twitter and get of scott free then any other Labour person can use the same excuse. There will be no ending of the AS issue for Labour until Corbyn goes.
  • eek said:

The first piece of prose I've seen from Dunt without swear words.
  • A real coup for Boris to win the endorsement of the fragrant Annunziata Rees-Mogg. How long before the great man himself, the illustrious Nigel, dons a blond wig and pledges his eternal devotion to all things Boris?
    Stocky said:

I found it sexy.

But you are niche. You prefer Esther McVey to David Gauke.
  • The state of replies to this...
    twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1202511979488919552?s=20

I just read the abstract of the report. Not good for Corbyn, but no surprises either...

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I found it sexy.

Jesus - do you keep a dossier on all of us or something?
  • On topic, a very good article and one I generally agree with. As always, the devil will be in the detail here and little detail is included.

I would take issue with one point though: major changes in the UK constitution have rarely come about on a cross-party basis (or, going back before parties, on a cross-institutional one). Indeed, they've usually come about when one side imposes its will on a deeply hostile opposition. Only after the change, and when the public is reconciled to it, does there develop the political consensus.

The Bill of Rights, for example - that cornerstone of the constitution - did not come about because there was a consensus but because there was a civil war in which (one part of) the victorious side made the statement and enactment into law of these contested principles a red-line demand.
    Andy_JS said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    Except that is not what is being tested. The election, except in marginal seats, rarely reflects the quality of the individual candidate. In the majority of seats votes simply reflect historic patterns and demographics supporting one party or another. A blue or red donkey could be put forward (and in many cases is) and still be elected. This is precisely why we can make money betting on outcomes - because odds are often skewed by the deluded who fail to recognise this fact.
  • If Boris sidelines Parliament and gives ultimate power to the executive then the UK's history as a democracy ends and we begin our first dictatorship in 350 years.

The only laugh will be when the Tories lose a future election and then complain about the sweeping powers they granted to a Labour government.

oh what utter rot.
    Grow up.

A real coup for Boris to win the endorsement of the fragrant Annunziata Rees-Mogg. How long before the great man himself, the illustrious Nigel, dons a blond wig and pledges his eternal devotion to all things Boris?

98% chance of a hung parliament still?
  • kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I found it sexy.

Why not?

Any chance of rising above the puerile? I know you can. I've seen you do it.
  • Brom said:

A real coup for Boris to win the endorsement of the fragrant Annunziata Rees-Mogg. How long before the great man himself, the illustrious Nigel, dons a blond wig and pledges his eternal devotion to all things Boris?

Absolutely. I'd probably put it closer to 99.95.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,383
    FT polling average updated, with Labour dropping from 33% to 32%.

https://www.ft.com/content/263615ca-d873-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

Con 43%, Lab 32%, LD 13%.

Brom said:

That seems fair given all those polls with a 2 point Tory lead.
    kinabalu said:

Seemed like a legitimate point.

Corbyn chose to do an interview that turned in to a humiliating car-crash.

That's his problem not Boris's.

alb1on said:

That is just ridiculous
    I reject that. It is brexit that is causing anger to remainers but the 17.4 million who voted for it were across the political spectrum and for many of us who voted remain we want brexit to happen as we respect the democratic vote

On domestic issues Boris is from the liberal wing of the party and it is an easy line for labour and remainers to try to paint the party as right wing.
    I do agree that Boris is instinctively liberal on domestic matters. That is not the problem with Boris. The problem is that the Conservative Party MPs and members are not - and Boris, just like Orban (and Trump) would sell his own granny for a sniff of power. And if that involves abandoning liberal instincts to ensure party support - so be it.
  • Brom said:

Well if this is how your judgement works I think anything you say going forward should be thought about in that context.

I doubt even with 15 point leads in some polls Tories would say a 99.95% chance of a majority.
    SunnyJim said:

It's the BBC's.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,222
    edited December 2019

He may but also he may just remain silent for the rest of the campaign

Interesting that Isabel Oakeshott has tweeted 'am conflicted' because she is in a relationship with Richard Tice, Brexit party chairman and candidate for Hartlepool
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    alb1on said:

The strongest issue is in fact with Cummings. In all their professed desire to remove the threat of Britain supposedly turning overnight into a Stalinist dictatorship, under an eccentric social democrat with some more strident and simplistic moments retained from his youth, few Tories have noticed that Cummings is in fact far more of a revolutionary - in his publicly professed views on his blog, that suggest essentially destroying Britain's existing state structure in order to renew it - than Corbyn has been since the 80's.

The bizarre ultra-libertarian-marxist Living Marxism crowd that helped form the Brexit Party understand this much better than most of the current nativist and populist Tory candidates.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    Andy_JS said:

Eleven point lead with a week to go, and higher than the 42% at the last election - I think we'd taken that at the start of the campaign.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    The dossier accuses Corbyn of 11 acts of AS committed by him personally.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    kinabalu said:

SunnyJim said:

It's the BBC's.
    I find it hard to have too much sympathy for the BBC. For years they favoured Marr over Neil. It's no good complaining now when for years the likes of Blair, Brown and Cameron have dodged Neil.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    FPT - but not sure I'm doing this right

Heard on R4 this morning that Tory staffers think it will be tight next Thursday.

Two ways to look at this:

1) GOTV operation in swing. 2017 possibly resulted in HP because there was complacency

2) it actually IS tight.

I would probably favour the former but at the same time I have said for a while I could very easily see the sort of result where the majority is very slim.

1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive.
    A majority of 1 would be entertaining to the media. Defections/deaths/byelections can't be ruled out, leading to ... another election?

Will N.I have more opposition MPs? S.Finn is supporting a Remain alliance so more anti-Brexit MPs might take a HoC seat. The UUP is now pro-EU apparently, if faced with the Johnson 'deal' (a.k.a. No Deal in Dec. 2020).
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Nothing to be gained for Nige to throw his lot in with Boris. Makes sense for the rest of the BXP to abandon the party and vote for Boris because they actually want brexit 'done'. Farage will just hope for a hung parliament or failing that wait until he can scream betrayal at Boris again. And if Boris somehow manages to not betray brexiteers Farage will probably head back across the Atlantic to try his luck again as a Trump Toady on Fox.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,813
    It's not a report.

It's a submission by JLM.
    Stocky said:

JamesP said:

I`m on Tories in Bolsover at 5/4. Do you have particular insight into that consitituency?
    Only from Lab canvassers.

They told me they expect to win just("quietly confident"), about a fortnight ago.

Then about a week ago they were in "we will be ok things are moving our way" mode.

One told me he expected a 2000 win

Canvassers can be rubbish forecasters though so I wouldn't be swayed if I were you.
  • Brom said:

That gives it 1999 chances in 2000.

Feel free to lay me 100/1 on some party winning a majority.
  • Brom said:

Well if this is how your judgement works I think anything you say going forward should be thought about in that context.

I doubt even with 15 point leads in some polls Tories would say a 99.95% chance of a majority.
    Boris is brilliant and will absolutely, certainly delivery us the most wonderful Brexit.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954

Oops.
    Stocky said:

Jesus - do you keep a dossier on all of us or something?

:smile:
    I just have a good memory. Blessing and a curse.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2019
    During WWII we kids used to sing the refrain::
    Whistle while you work
    Whistle while you work
    Mussolini is a weenie
    Hitler is a jerk
    Con Maj into 1.39 now on Betfair. 1.40 to lay.
    2% return available in a week by laying Labour maj at 50
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,190

It's not a report.

It's a submission by JLM.
    Stocky said:

JamesP said:

Only from Lab canvassers.

They told me they expect to win just("quietly confident"), about a fortnight ago.

Then about a week ago they were in "we will be ok things are moving our way" mode.

One told me he expected a 2000 win

Canvassers can be rubbish forecasters though so I wouldn't be swayed if I were you.
    Canvassers can be very good forecasters if they have done the same area at a previous election. The problem in Bolsover will be lack of data thru past complacency

Why not?

Don't tell me you prefer McVey to Gauke too! This manifestation of the Tories - I just can't get my head around it.
  • Andy_JS said:

I believe that's a Labour majority of 30 with Barnesian... :wink:
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    I have just had a small flutter at 16/1 on the Lib Dems getting 30-39 seats.

It's certainly unlikely, but I don't think it's 16/1 unlikely. Essentially I'm betting that (a) Swinson has bottomed out and could indeed stage a modest recovery, (b) there is going to be a lot of tactical voting, (c) there's a chance that either Johnson or Corbyn will screw up somehow over the next week.

I'll keep an eye on it over the week and may decide to cut my losses after the weekend, but for now it looks tempting.
  • Brom said:

Boris is brilliant and will absolutely, certainly delivery us the most wonderful Brexit.
    Even I wouldn't say that.

Anyone who sprouts "certainty" or "99.95" is generally talking bullshit.

The one thing I can say for certainty or 99.95% is that Jo Swinson will not be our next Prime Minister whatever her protestations.
  • Brom said:

Quality work, a bulging catch net guaranteed.

Oh dear.
  • A real coup for Boris to win the endorsement of the fragrant Annunziata Rees-Mogg. How long before the great man himself, the illustrious Nigel, dons a blond wig and pledges his eternal devotion to all things Boris?

Nothing to be gained for Nige to throw his lot in with Boris. Makes sense for the rest of the BXP to abandon the party and vote for Boris because they actually want brexit 'done'. Farage will just hope for a hung parliament or failing that wait until he can scream betrayal at Boris again. And if Boris somehow manages to not betray brexiteers Farage will probably head back across the Atlantic to try his luck again as a Trump Toady on Fox.
    Like sock suspenders, Farage is now something that will never come back into fashion. The hard Right now has a new fetish and it's known as Boris. If Nigel wants to retain any significance at all, his only choice is to become a Boris luvvie and hope that some of the stardust rubs off.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    speybay said:

If Boris sidelines Parliament and gives ultimate power to the executive then the UK's history as a democracy ends and we begin our first dictatorship in 350 years.

oh what utter rot.
    Grow up.
    It's not rot. We have a very fragile democracy compared to countries with a written constitution, checks and balances *and* a second chamber.

Thatcher abolished the GLC by the stroke of a pen - well, a vote in parliament when she had a convenient majority of 144. Even Tories on the GLC and its predecessor the LCC thought it was outrageous.

At times only the House of Lords stands between us and tyranny.

Well, we have the courts but they depend on millionaires. There's no legal aid for 'constitutional' or 'public interest' litigation. Also Johnson wants to alter them.
  • kinabalu said:

Why not?

Don't tell me you prefer McVey to Gauke too! This manifestation of the Tories - I just can't get my head around it.
    Yes I do. That says more about my opinion of Gauke than it does about McVey though.

Tell me what Gauke has done to justify a high opinion of him? Besides his contempt for democracy when he is on the losing side has he done anything else fantastic?
  • Moves by Brexit members today to the tories must be the precursor to Farage instructing his party to vote for Boris

Jeezo, can't you leave a decent period between the about turns? I'm getting dizzy.
  • The dossier accuses Corbyn of 11 acts of AS committed by him personally.

This is my total lack of surprise.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

Ofcom rejected the complaint against Channel 4 so seems like the BBC could totally do it.
    SunnyJim said:

kinabalu said:

Quite, and Boris managed to weather the storm with no more than a day of negative Twitter headlines from his opponents. No-one followed him around all week in chicken suits or Andrew Neil masks.
  • For those of you with the pdf, Corbyn's personal AS summary is section 25, subsections 1 through 11.
  • camelcamel Posts: 815
    Toms said:

During WWII we kids used to sing the refrain::
    Whistle while you work
    Whistle while you work
    Mussolini is a weenie
    Hitler is a jerk

Euroscepticism was rife in those days.

I have just had a small flutter at 16/1 on the Lib Dems getting 30-39 seats.

It's certainly unlikely, but I don't think it's 16/1 unlikely. Essentially I'm betting that (a) Swinson has bottomed out and could indeed stage a modest recovery, (b) there is going to be a lot of tactical voting, (c) there's a chance that either Johnson or Corbyn will screw up somehow over the next week.

I'll keep an eye on it over the week and may decide to cut my losses after the weekend, but for now it looks tempting.

20-29 looks decent value at 12/5. Given that over 25.5 is 3/1 the 12/5 looks out of line. It is relatively easy to see how the LDs reach 20 by retaining the 2017 seats and adding obvious targets (Richmond/St Albans/Cheltenham/Fife etc). But adding another 6 should surely command a bigger gap in the odds.
  • Sky seem to be completely ignoring this AS report.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,190

Morning all
    Con gain Annunziata Rees-Mogg

Yuk
    Sandpit said:

SunnyJim said:

kinabalu said:

Quite, and Boris managed to weather the storm with no more than a day of negative Twitter headlines from his opponents. No-one followed him around all week in chicken suits or Andrew Neil masks.
    Even Momentum members would draw the line at being asked to wear an Andrew Neil mask. They do have some pride.
  • kinabalu said:

Why not?

Yes I do. That says more about my opinion of Gauke than it does about McVey though.

Tell me what Gauke has done to justify a high opinion of him? Besides his contempt for democracy when he is on the losing side has he done anything else fantastic?
    Anti Brexit = lovely cuddly liberal Pro Brexit = Extreme right wing nutter

Jeezo, can't you leave a decent period between the about turns? I'm getting dizzy.
    Sorry about that but I am not endorsing Farage the person, never will.
This discussion has been closed.