Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The NUM backs Nandy

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited January 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The NUM backs Nandy

Lisa Nandy has just secured the backing of National Union of Mineworkers, which is big get – there’s also speculation she could get support of the GMB https://t.co/y0ZF7Yg5dj

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First (like Nandy)
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    <FirstScouseKid>The NUM? Who are they?</FirstScouseKid>

<SecondScouseKid>Exactly!</SecondScouseKid>
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Well it's easier than getting a whole bunch of CLPs I guess.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Starmer vs. Nandy is the best shot at power for Labour.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Fifth like Burgon
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,155

If RLB fails to get to the final run-off, it will really show what a miserable candidate she was for the Corbynite left.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    edited January 2020

If RLB fails to get to the final run-off, it will really show what a miserable candidate she was for the Corbynite left.
    We had a CLP exec this evening, inluding 3 Momentum members (I was a founder member). 2 of us haven't received the email asking for endorsement of the executive's position, even though our direct debits are regularly deducted. I complain about it every year at the Momentum stand at Conference - they alwqays promise to take action and never do. The idea that they're an awesome machine is frankly misplaced.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595
    Sarah Owen MP is on Labour NEC and a former GMB political officer. She nominated Nandy. I think that's partly what's causing people to speculate that Nandy will get the GMB nomination.

https://twitter.com/SarahOwen_/status/1215299201170579456
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Just reading Simulating War before bed and I see @NickPalmer is name checked in the introduction.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Alistair said:

Just reading Simulating War before bed and I see @NickPalmer is name checked in the introduction.

So he does! Unless there's another Palmer 'until recently a british member of parliament'
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LUUAENW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1#reader_B00LUUAENW
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    Cyclefree said:

I’ve been sent an email by the Jewish Labour Movement saying that if I join them as an ally and register as a Labour friend I can vote in the election for leader and deputy leader.

So should I? I did not vote for them under Corbyn. Indeed I have been very critical of Labour under his leadership.

I would only consider doing so in order to vote for a decent leader (not a crap one) because (a) I am not at all enamoured of Boris - to put it at its absolute mildest; (b) the country - and our democracy - needs a viable opposition party not some half-crazed sect; and (c) I feel strongly that the anti-Semitic culture which has developed in Labour needs removing, regardless of whether one votes Labour or not.

But is it right to do so if I am not a Labour member and only an ex-Labour voter from years ago? It feels like gate-crashing a party. (Plus I don’t want my money to go to a party which then elects a nitwit like RLB.) On the other hand, this is what the rules permit.

So what does the PB ethics committee think, o wise ones?

The rules allow it and you are acting in what you view to be the Labour party's best interests, so I don't see any moral problem at all.

I say that as someone who probably would have voted for Corbyn in 2015, and I would still answer the favourability question with a positive. Mind you, I only joined last month myself (intending to stay long-term) so I don't know how longstanding members would feel.

---

On topic, Nandy's nomination may be tiny but it's still great news.

I was actually a bit disheartened by her campaign launch. The only time in the last year that I didn't think she was extremely impressive. She is very strong on specifics but her team evidently decided to be very broad-brush, so bits sounded like management-waffle. But my guess is that she'll handle Andrew Neil very well and then it will be forgotten.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595

We had a CLP exec this evening, inluding 3 Momentum members (I was a founder member). 2 of us haven't received the email asking for endorsement of the executive's position, even though our direct debits are regularly deducted. I complain about it every year at the Momentum stand at Conference - they alwqays promise to take action and never do. The idea that they're an awesome machine is frankly misplaced.

So as far as Momentum is concerned:
    1. The political executive of Momentum is making as strong recommendation to Momentum members to endorse RLB in a members ballot, expecting that this will further enhance RLB's prospect of winning that ballot.
    2. The minority of Momentum members who do not vote for RLB will then come under pressure through loyalty to Momentum the organisation to toe the party line and vote for her in the Labour members ballot. (If not, why hold the ballot in the first place?)

That is entirely in accordance with the principles of top down Leninist democratic centralism. Furthermore, it confirms absolutely that Lansman and the Momentum exec is organising Momentum as an entryist party within a party. Even Militant was not as blatant as this.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    Peter Hitchens on QE2 & the Monarchy

‘Her reign must, alas, eventually end. When it does, why not pay the remaining royal figures generous pensions and allow them to slip away into the private lives so many of them crave but cannot lead? Why not have a monarchy, but no monarch? Why not select an elderly, unambitious, self-effacing Regent, close to the end of his or her days, to preside over ceremonies and hand out medals? I offer this as a serious solution. For if we continue as we are, the strain between what we want our kings to be, and what they actually are, will prove too great and we will tumble, accidentally, into becoming a republic.’

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2020/01/the-strain-on-the-british-monarchy
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Fifth like Burgon

In the deputy race?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    isam said:

‘Her reign must, alas, eventually end. When it does, why not pay the remaining royal figures generous pensions and allow them to slip away into the private lives so many of them crave but cannot lead? Why not have a monarchy, but no monarch? Why not select an elderly, unambitious, self-effacing Regent, close to the end of his or her days, to preside over ceremonies and hand out medals? I offer this as a serious solution. For if we continue as we are, the strain between what we want our kings to be, and what they actually are, will prove too great and we will tumble, accidentally, into becoming a republic.’

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2020/01/the-strain-on-the-british-monarchy

I'm hopeful she can reign well into her 100s. The Royal family eats a lot of eggs. A lot. That's what I put it down to.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    isam said:

Is that not in effect what he's suggesting? A random ceremonial head of state rather than a ceremonial head of state tied to a particular, albeit flimsy, line of descent is hardly different from a random elected ceremonial head of state.

Personally I've never seen much point in electing a ceremonial head of state, so if we elect one they should be more substantial, and if we're going random then its already pretty random.

Although some jolly clever chap reckons a regency is on the way

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/04/21/the-palace-is-laying-the-groundwork-for-a-regency/

Edit: I do like this description though:

The monarch, stripped of all ancient direct power, is now remarkably like the king on a chessboard—almost incapable of offensive action, but preventing others from occupying a crucial square and those around it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

So he does! Unless there's another Palmer 'until recently a british member of parliament'
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LUUAENW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1#reader_B00LUUAENW
    Sounds an interesting book. As a teen I was quite the fan of simulations, particularly Squad Leader by Avalon Hill (still in my cupboard!) and a host of SPI games I have an old copy of Nick's book somewhere.

For fans of hex based simulations, Joni Nuutinnen has an interesting bunch of games availible as apps on Google play, though novices may find the absence of instructions challenging.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Is that not in effect what he's suggesting? A random ceremonial head of state rather than a ceremonial head of state tied to a particular, albeit flimsy, line of descent is hardly different from a random elected ceremonial head of state.

Personally I've never seen much point in electing a ceremonial head of state, so if we elect one they should be more substantial, and if we're going random then its already pretty random.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/04/21/the-palace-is-laying-the-groundwork-for-a-regency/

The monarch, stripped of all ancient direct power, is now remarkably like the king on a chessboard—almost incapable of offensive action, but preventing others from occupying a crucial square and those around it.
    The king is very useful in the end game
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    The EU is once again going to push the UK hard, then Remainers in the UK are going to take the EU's side, which will mean the EU feels it is on strong ground to not back down. It is going to be too far for the Conservative government to sign up to, and we are going to get further away in the relationship then we otherwise would be.

Nobody learns anything.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm guessing that's the point. The absurdity of the monarchy is the strongest argument for keeping it. It minimises the risk of them interfering too much. Hitchens' suggestion seems to be to keep the absurdity without the cost.

In theory I'm a republican, but then I look at real world republics like the USA and France and think best not risk it (also the waste of legislating time). It is possible to have a quiet president (e.g. Germany), but I wouldn't trust us to emulate that.
  • Options
    On topic, there are a lot of talented women in this race. It is pretty shameful for Labour if in a race between four women and one man, they pick the man, even when he was an architect of their election defeat.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    isam said:

Classic Hitchens

'I do not much like the British royal family...The Queen, though by far the best of them, takes increasingly frequent plunges into political correctness... As I am a monarchist, whatever should I do or think? My obligations to the Crown are strong and unavoidable, but they have been weakened by the decline of my homeland from a great empire into a small, rather puzzled country on the fringe of Europe.... I think the cornerstone of civilized government is the supremacy of law over power, and I cannot see how that supremacy can be maintained unless you specifically summon God into your constitution by something like the English coronation rite.

...But mainly, these days, the monarchy serves to keep our elected politicians away from the grander, more majestic accoutrements and signs of power. We obey these politicians, and the laws they make, in a grudging sort of way. But we do not usually love or much respect them. They do not, unlike the president of the USA, attempt to embody the country, and this gives us a much greater freedom to criticize them at times of crisis, or if necessary defy their unlawful orders. I think we would revolt if any of our elected leaders bought themselves an equivalent of Air Force One, or insisted on a band playing “Hail to the Chief,” or something similar, as they walked into the room. '
  • Options
    kicorse said:

kle4 said:

I'm guessing that's the point. The absurdity of the monarchy is the strongest argument for keeping it. It minimises the risk of them interfering too much. Hitchens' suggestion seems to be to keep the absurdity without the cost.

In theory I'm a republican, but then I look at real world republics like the USA and France and think best not risk it (also the waste of legislating time). It is possible to have a quiet president (e.g. Germany), but I wouldn't trust us to emulate that.
    And who has heard of the president of Germany? Barely even most Germans
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

Classic Hitchens

'I do not much like the British royal family...The Queen, though by far the best of them, takes increasingly frequent plunges into political correctness... As I am a monarchist, whatever should I do or think? My obligations to the Crown are strong and unavoidable, but they have been weakened by the decline of my homeland from a great empire into a small, rather puzzled country on the fringe of Europe.... I think the cornerstone of civilized government is the supremacy of law over power, and I cannot see how that supremacy can be maintained unless you specifically summon God into your constitution by something like the English coronation rite.
    Funny that in states from France to the Roman Empire, law most triumphed over power in their republican periods and vice versa in their monarchist periods.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Exactly. That's a good thing. But could you see us doing that?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    isam said:

That website is a bit more classy than the usual right-wing bobbins: well, at least more polite and better written, but what the hey. Yes I have a sneaking liking for Hitchens, tho I doubt he'd reciprocate, and I did like that article. I'm going to flagrantly steal his phrase "the cornerstone of civilized government is the supremacy of law over power", and set it against "liberty is freedom under the law" (although I have a horrible suspicion that the latter is a misquote... :( )
  • Options
    alterego said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Monarchy = Socialism! :lol:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    edited January 2020
    viewcode said:

isam said:

That website is a bit more classy than the usual right-wing bobbins: well, at least more polite and better written, but what the hey. Yes I have a sneaking liking for Hitchens, tho I doubt he'd reciprocate, and I did like that article. I'm going to flagrantly steal his phrase "the cornerstone of civilized government is the supremacy of law over power", and set it against "liberty is freedom under the law" (although I have a horrible suspicion that the latter is a misquote... :( )
    My Mum gets annoyed at my quoting Hitchens‘ socially conservative views as if they were The Gospel as they are the same views I stuck two fingers up at when she offered them to me 30 odd years ago!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited January 2020
    isam said:

< pedant > QE2 is a ship permanently moored in Dubai. QEII is the monarch< /pedant >
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

alterego said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Testing, Sunil. Very testing.
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

My Mum gets annoyed at my quoting Hitchens‘ socially conservative views as if they were The Gospel as they are the same views I stuck two fingers up at when she offered them to me 30 odd years ago!
    You flicked the Vs at your mum? Bad isam... :)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Gabs3 said:

On topic, there are a lot of talented women in this race. It is pretty shameful for Labour if in a race between four women and one man, they pick the man, even when he was an architect of their election defeat.

Bollocks. The author of LAB's general election defeat was Corbyn. Nobody else. He was electoral poison who should have been booted out.
  • Options

alterego said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

No, monarchy is the essence of conservatism, state control of the economy = socialism
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Classic Hitchens

Funny that in states from France to the Roman Empire, law most triumphed over power in their republican periods and vice versa in their monarchist periods.
    Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Napoleon, Robespierre would beg to differ
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ah, I vaguely remember Sabin's writing, though I've not read that one. I wrote a couple of books on board wargames - one of them sold 100,000 copies, the other was a bit of a pale sequel and sold a lot fewer. Still play...
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

No, its an awful thing, you have an irrelevant, colourless Head of State nobody has heard of, who has little power and who brings in no tourism revenue and you still have to pay for them
  • Options
    kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

I agree. The Swiss are even more discreet - the presidency rotates among the 7 council members each year, and it's always a struggle to recall who's doing it at the moment, yet they always have someone available for official duties, which in theory is all that th emonarchy really do.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

No, its an awful thing, you have an irrelevant, colourless Head of State nobody has heard of, who has little power and who brings in no tourism revenue and you still have to pay for them
    Tourists never visit Republics?
  • Options

So as far as Momentum is concerned:
    1. The political executive of Momentum is making as strong recommendation to Momentum members to endorse RLB in a members ballot, expecting that this will further enhance RLB's prospect of winning that ballot.
    2. The minority of Momentum members who do not vote for RLB will then come under pressure through loyalty to Momentum the organisation to toe the party line and vote for her in the Labour members ballot. (If not, why hold the ballot in the first place?)

That is entirely in accordance with the principles of top down Leninist democratic centralism. Furthermore, it confirms absolutely that Lansman and the Momentum exec is organising Momentum as an entryist party within a party. Even Militant was not as blatant as this.
    Duh, that's not what I said. My criticism of Momentum is almost precisely the opposite - not that they strong-arm members to do things, but that they are incompetent at even keeping in touch with us. They send me requests to help in by-elections and I note that NEC candidates quote them in support, but I've never had a direct request, let alone an instruction, to vote for anyone. I'm bemused that anyone sees them as an awesome force for good or ill - they are very good at mobilising people to help in elections, and that's about it. As I suspect we are about to discover.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

Alistair said:

Ah, I vaguely remember Sabin's writing, though I've not read that one. I wrote a couple of books on board wargames - one of them sold 100,000 copies, the other was a bit of a pale sequel and sold a lot fewer. Still play...
    May be an impertinent question and apologies if so. But any thoughts on my Labour leadership dilemma, as per below?

Thank you.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Not for anything connected with the Head of State bar the White House for obvious reasons ie the fact the US is the world's most powerful nation
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kicorse said:

Cyclefree said:

I’ve been sent an email by the Jewish Labour Movement saying that if I join them as an ally and register as a Labour friend I can vote in the election for leader and deputy leader.

So should I? I did not vote for them under Corbyn. Indeed I have been very critical of Labour under his leadership.

I would only consider doing so in order to vote for a decent leader (not a crap one) because (a) I am not at all enamoured of Boris - to put it at its absolute mildest; (b) the country - and our democracy - needs a viable opposition party not some half-crazed sect; and (c) I feel strongly that the anti-Semitic culture which has developed in Labour needs removing, regardless of whether one votes Labour or not.

But is it right to do so if I am not a Labour member and only an ex-Labour voter from years ago? It feels like gate-crashing a party. (Plus I don’t want my money to go to a party which then elects a nitwit like RLB.) On the other hand, this is what the rules permit.

So what does the PB ethics committee think, o wise ones?

The rules allow it and you are acting in what you view to be the Labour party's best interests, so I don't see any moral problem at all.

I say that as someone who probably would have voted for Corbyn in 2015, and I would still answer the favourability question with a positive. Mind you, I only joined last month myself (intending to stay long-term) so I don't know how longstanding members would feel.

As a longstanding member I agree. I don't approve of mischievous messing with parties with the intention of causing them trouble, but if they allow non-members to influence their choices (which is arguably what a party seeking new support should do), then it's reasonable to take them up on it. If you felt you could not possibly ever vote Labour regardless of its leader or future conduct, then perhaps not, but I doubt if you're quite as definite as that.

I think you only have a 24-hour window to do it, though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Not for anything connected with the Head of State bar the White House for obvious reasons ie the fact the US is the world's most powerful nation
    So no tourists visit Versailles? No tourists visit Venice? No tourists visit the Taj Mahal? No tourists visit Rio? No tourists visit Vienna? No tourists visit Dublin? No tourists visit Kilimanjaro?

Plenty of countries gain tourist revenue despite not a having monarchy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

So no tourists visit Versailles? No tourists visit Venice? No tourists visit the Taj Mahal? No tourists visit Rio? No tourists visit Vienna? No tourists visit Dublin? No tourists visit Kilimanjaro?

Yes. Because Versailles has nothing to do with any monarchy. No, siree. No kings ever lived there... :)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Have you never been to Paris or Rome in the summer? Absolute fucking ghost towns with not a foreign tourist to be seen. They are all in Tonga trying to get a glimpse of the king.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

But any thoughts on my Labour leadership dilemma, as per below?
    My tuppence worth.

If your motives are to help create an electable Labour Party who will be an effective opposition and possibly one day a government - why not? Anything that forces the government to raise its game has the be "a good thing".

If on the other hand you want to saddle them with an unelectable dinosaur - why bother, they're more than capable of doing that themselves.

In my view, Starmer or Nandy (Phillips at a pinch - we'd quickly learn one way or the other, though I am warming to her defence of the Union) could fulfil the first criteria. RLB the second. Thornberry somewhat between the two - smart but "posh north London".
  • Options
    Prepare to feel really old.

This picture is over twenty years old... :(

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Versailles is not the residence of the current French President no.

Though France at least effectively has an imperial presidency anyway, with a vast military parade headed by the President every July and huge trappings and power around the presidency not the deathly dull irrelevant German presidency
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

They do not gain revenue from royal weddings, royal jubilees etc no.

Buildings are separate from the pageantry you get with royalty
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Though France at least effectively has an imperial presidency anyway, with a vast military parade headed by the President every July and huge trappings and power around the presidency not the deathly dull irrelevant German presidency
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alterego said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

No, monarchy is the essence of conservatism, state control of the economy = socialism
    Hereditary principle just like Socialist North Korea
    Military parades & pageantry just like Socialist North Korea
    Head of State with effective jobs for life just like Socialist North Korea
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    viewcode said:

Prepare to feel really old.

This picture is over twenty years old... :(

It took me a while to work it out...
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    I'm watching the last democratic debate before Iowa.

Everyone is terrible.
    Biden is terrible on policy and sounds most times like he's having a stroke.
    Bernie and Warren had a very gringy exchange.
    And the rest are even worse.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    My impression of the debate so far.
    With the exception of Sanders they can all put the crowd to sleep.
    Joe Biden's enemy is clearly time, the longer a debate lasts the weaker and more confused he becomes on stage, his physical stamina is clearly an issue.

No one will gain votes, but there might be movement between Sanders and Warren, though in which direction it's too early too tell.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    speedy2 said:

My impression of the debate so far.
    With the exception of Sanders they can all put the crowd to sleep.
    Joe Biden's enemy is clearly time, the longer a debate lasts the weaker and more confused he becomes on stage, his physical stamina is clearly an issue.

No one will gain votes, but there might be movement between Sanders and Warren, though in which direction it's too early too tell.

I've tuned in for the last ten minutes or so. Steyer has been better than I expected despite his weird random attack on Mayor Pete. Not enough back-and-forth between candidates other than that.
  • Options
    And today's OBN goes to....

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1217303398636126210?s=20

It may not be pretty (and it will have all the right people clutching their pearls and projectile vomiting.....)....but if it keeps the show on the road.....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

It may not be pretty (and it will have all the right people clutching their pearls and projectile vomiting.....)....but if it keeps the show on the road.....

What “deal” ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

Wait, are we going to give up our nuclear weapons?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Result of Iran’s pledge to hold people responsible for the shooting down....

They arrested the guy who took the video:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51114945
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Not as much added from their Head of State than with a monarchy
  • Options

HYUFD said:

alterego said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Hereditary principle just like Socialist North Korea
    Military parades & pageantry just like Socialist North Korea
    Head of State with effective jobs for life just like Socialist North Korea
    There is nothing socialist about the hereditary principle, that is more conservative even than free market liberalism, socialism is about state control of the economy and France has plenty of military parades and pageantry as does Russia and both are Republics
This discussion has been closed.