Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Applying huge governing party national poll leads has been a v

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Macron FTW

Bayrou news? Excellent for me as he was one of the Black Swans I haven't covered in my book.
    It's all about the effect on Macron's poll numbers which were slowing.
    Bayrou's support (with conditions) might give Macron a minor boost but the latest Elabe had Fillon still reaching the runoff even without Bayrou, Bayrou failing to run boosted Macron by 1.5% and Fillon by 1% so not that much difference. Macron also needs to ensure Macron's conditions do not lead to him losing any support to Hamon given Bayrou used to be Education Minister in Balladur's and Juppe's centre right governments
    http://elabe.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/21022017bfmtv_lexpress_intentions-de-vote-presidentielles-vague-2.pdf
    Polling without Bayrou is going to be different now he's (a) ruled himself out affirmatively and (b) endorsed Macron.
    I don't think it will make that much difference but we will see in the next few days
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Today is a good day to be an antiquarian bookseller political nerd - I bought a good number of books from Robert Peel's library!

Excellent news Mr Mortimer. At a guess I’d say the Ex PM was not a great Mills & Boon fan.
    Indeed not. The best thing (both commercially and historically, I'd say), was his copy of the first edition (London, 1841) of Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions: the first major book on bubbles and the psychologies of crowds.
    Charles MacKay had a gift for short, catchy tiles I see. :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Macron FTW

Bayrou news? Excellent for me as he was one of the Black Swans I haven't covered in my book.
    Bayrou's support (with conditions) might give Macron a minor boost but the latest Elabe had Fillon still reaching the runoff even without Bayrou, Bayrou failing to run boosted Macron by 1.5% and Fillon by 1% so not that much difference. Macron also needs to ensure Macron's conditions do not lead to him losing any support to Hamon given Bayrou used to be Education Minister in Balladur's and Juppe's centre right governments
    http://elabe.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/21022017bfmtv_lexpress_intentions-de-vote-presidentielles-vague-2.pdf
    Albeit that didn't include Bayrou actually endorsing Macron.

It will be interesting to see if this catalyses Melanchon and Hamon getting together.
    That does not look likely at the moment but if it only looked like Hamon could get through to the runoff it might be a possibility
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Isam FPT "Which came first, the torture or the terrorist?"

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/02/bbc-glories-death/

That's a very good question. I'd be pissed off if I'd been incarcerated and tortured for years without trial by the self appointed world's policemen.

If anyone was going to turn to terrorism it is likely to be them.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    The Labour price on Betfair looks super weak. Less than a grand wanting to take the odds on
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    isam said:

Dixie said:

dixiedean said:

Jason said:

The bar set by Labour is now so low (and seemingly getting lower and lower), winning (retaining) these two seats will be perceived as a triumph by Labour. When the dust has settled, if they win, it will be seen as what it is by objective observers - the absolute bare minimum an Opposition party should be achieving. There's no triumph in retaining safe seats, there really isn't, and all this 'expectation management' stuff is a pile of crap. A sitting government taking a seat off the Opposition IS a big deal, though.

The Tories have nothing to lose from either of these by-elections and everything to gain. Labour have nothing to gain but a whole lot to lose.

UKIP have much to lose too. If they don't win in Stoke with the leader standing against a less than stellar Labour candidate, then bang goes their plan of replacing Labour in the North and Midlands. If not here and now, then when and where?
    Of course Farage never won a constituency and tried 7 times. UKIP predicting Labour in Stoke and too close to call in Copeland. That's me paraphrasing their emails to me.
    That Farage statistic, while true, is so misleading it may as well not be. On at least 5 of the occasions he stood UKIP would have been 100/1 to win the seat, the exceptions being Bucks in 2010 and Thanet South in 2015 (and that's a bit fishy)
    that's fair enough.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Scott_P said:

@PaulBrandITV: Both Labour and Tories are very nervy, which suggests their canvassing reports that it's tight. UKIP say they're taking more from Labour.

... Copeland or Stoke?
    Copeland I think
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Macron FTW

Polling without Bayrou is going to be different now he's (a) ruled himself out affirmatively and (b) endorsed Macron.
    I don't think it will make that much difference but we will see in the next few days
    Depends by "that much" - I think enough to get Macron's nose ahead of Fillon for a moment.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@PaulBrandITV: Both Labour and Tories are very nervy, which suggests their canvassing reports that it's tight. UKIP say they're taking more from Labour.

... Copeland or Stoke?
    this is fascinating. and could Libs come through the middle?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

That's a very good question. I'd be pissed off if I'd been incarcerated and tortured for years without trial by the self appointed world's policemen.

lol typical of Roger
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Macron FTW

Bayrou had his day in 2007, but i don't think he amounts to much now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think Stoke could be a very tight race between Labour and another, or anothers, I don't think the betting markets reflect that.

I'm not expecting that another to be UKIP.

Of course, I could be wrong, and Labour romp home.

Lay Labour?

I think a low turnout Labour win.

Probably, but then Labour is led by an utter idiot and has a local candidate who's called Brexit a bucketful of shit, in one of the most heavily Leave areas in the whole country.

If they still score a clear win, then donkeys is a label many of their voters will not unjustly be tagged with.

Imagine the reaction if a metropolitan liberal leftie had posted that about white working class voters. Should Labour win in Stoke it's because the other options were not appealling enough.

My point is just how bad and unappealing do Labour have to be to put their own core voters off?

We are told that the whole of the Northern core area is up for grabs now because it voted overwhelmingly for Brexit, Corbyn is viewed as an atrocious leader and the candidates are non-local and of poor calibre. This would lead to much of that being questioned.

The language in my post was deliberately provocative.
    In a general election, I think Labour would lose Copeland, and come close to losing Stoke, with Corbyn as leader.
    Agreed.

Btw.. Great to have you back on board, Sean.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,025
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Macron FTW

The French press are suggesting that Bayrou will be actively campaigning for Macron. Which will probably be useful in Pau, but I'm unconvinced it will have a major impact elsewhere in France.
    The direct effect may be minimal but it plays into the narrative for Macron in two very helpful ways. First, it gives him a boost at the precise moment when his campaign had started to go off the boil, and more importantly it helps present his movement as being broad based with a sense of inevitability.

Remember that Bayrou is the man who was planning to step aside for Juppé.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Today is a good day to be an antiquarian bookseller political nerd - I bought a good number of books from Robert Peel's library!

Excellent news Mr Mortimer. At a guess I’d say the Ex PM was not a great Mills & Boon fan.
    Indeed not. The best thing (both commercially and historically, I'd say), was his copy of the first edition (London, 1841) of Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions: the first major book on bubbles and the psychologies of crowds.
    Alas, it was not a presentation copy - a financial hack presenting a copy of this book to Peel before the Railway mania would almost be newsworthy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,846
    Dixie said:

Scott_P said:

... Copeland or Stoke?
    this is fascinating. and could Libs come through the middle?
    What was the market for 4th place in Stoke someone highlighted earlier?

UKIP might be the bet there, if we get a four way marginal on a really low turnout.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    edited February 2017
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

I've got £100 on Labour holding Copeland and £25 on their holding Stoke. If they do, I make a profit of £237.50.

Congratulations! I think you'll collect. I wish that weren't the case...

When are you going to rejoin the Tories? We need more sound people in the Conservative and Unionist (Brexit) Party.
    I won't renew my UKIP subscription when it runs out, as UKIP's job is done. I'll probably join Islington Conservatives, whose Chairman is a friend.
    I am the same. My membership runs out in April and I won't renew. Though I won't join any other party as I really don't like the basic principle of parties.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Roger said:

lol typical of Roger
    Obviously, if I were the victim of a miscarriage of justice, I'd want to massacre a load of innocent people who had nothing to do with my imprisonment.
  • Options
    So, when are we pb LEAVERS getting together for our Article 50 invocation party then?

I'm hoping to get Alastair Meeks along as the stripper.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Pulpstar said:

Insightful analysis from Mike here.

A bit, but tinged with an element of frustration that it's not the LDs strongly challenging for those seats rather than the Tories.
    Lib Dems taking votes off Labour in Copeland and Stoke could let Conservatives in at both.
    Palmer was getting very upset at those pesky Lib Dems for daring to campaign.

Don't they know their true position?
  • Options

So, when are we pb LEAVERS getting together for our Article 50 invocation party then?

I'm very up for it, as you know. But maybe we need Roge to decree it will never happen, first...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Impossible for us to know if he was a wrongun pre Gitmo, but if not, it could have played a big part in turning him.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Any rightwinger with a brain wants Labour to win both these by-elections. The least desirable outcome is two Labour defeats, and Corbyn gone. Horror!

The ideal result is narrow-ish Labour wins in both places, over the Tories in Copeland, and UKIP in Stoke. Cementing Corbyn in place as leader, but increasing their paranoia and confusion. The LDs somehow coming 2nd somewhere would be even better. Labour would fall apart.

Most likely result in my view is the Tories gain Copeland by a tiny margin (albeit Labour could easily hold it very narrowly too) and Labour hold Stoke with the Tories taking second and UKIP falling to third
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

I've got £100 on Labour holding Copeland and £25 on their holding Stoke. If they do, I make a profit of £237.50.

When are you going to rejoin the Tories? We need more sound people in the Conservative and Unionist (Brexit) Party.
    I won't renew my UKIP subscription when it runs out, as UKIP's job is done. I'll probably join Islington Conservatives, whose Chairman is a friend.
    I am the same. My membership runs out in April and I won't renew. Though I won't join any other party as I really don't like the basic principle of parties.
    I don't agree with your politics or views Mr Tyndall, but you are an honourable man and I admire you for that.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    Yet another local lection yesterday with the Cons coming off poor, the least said about the Lib Dems the better.
  • Options
    isam said:

Dixie said:

dixiedean said:

Jason said:

The bar set by Labour is now so low (and seemingly getting lower and lower), winning (retaining) these two seats will be perceived as a triumph by Labour. When the dust has settled, if they win, it will be seen as what it is by objective observers - the absolute bare minimum an Opposition party should be achieving. There's no triumph in retaining safe seats, there really isn't, and all this 'expectation management' stuff is a pile of crap. A sitting government taking a seat off the Opposition IS a big deal, though.

The Tories have nothing to lose from either of these by-elections and everything to gain. Labour have nothing to gain but a whole lot to lose.

UKIP have much to lose too. If they don't win in Stoke with the leader standing against a less than stellar Labour candidate, then bang goes their plan of replacing Labour in the North and Midlands. If not here and now, then when and where?
    Of course Farage never won a constituency and tried 7 times. UKIP predicting Labour in Stoke and too close to call in Copeland. That's me paraphrasing their emails to me.
    That Farage statistic, while true, is so misleading it may as well not be. On at least 5 of the occasions he stood UKIP would have been 100/1 to win the seat, the exceptions being Bucks in 2010 and Thanet South in 2015 (and that's a bit fishy)
    Farage surprisingly third to an Independent liberal democrat in Buckingham against the Speaker in 2010.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Macron FTW

Depends by "that much" - I think enough to get Macron's nose ahead of Fillon for a moment.
    For a moment maybe but the election is still almost 2 months away, it will be touch and go who makes the runoff between them in my view until then
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Any rightwinger with a brain wants Labour to win both these by-elections. The least desirable outcome is two Labour defeats, and Corbyn gone. Horror!

The ideal result is narrow-ish Labour wins in both places, over the Tories in Copeland, and UKIP in Stoke. Cementing Corbyn in place as leader, but increasing their paranoia and confusion. The LDs somehow coming 2nd somewhere would be even better. Labour would fall apart.

Yep. Can't argue with that.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Macron FTW

Indeed, of course in 2007 Bayrou came close to overtaking Royal in a few runoff polls but in the end was third
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited February 2017
    Calling in a favour?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39055343

Hope not Hate trying it on re UKIP expenses in Thanet.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Yet another local lection yesterday with the Cons coming off poor, the least said about the Lib Dems the better.

Basingstoke
    Winklebury

Labour 61.6% + 31.1

Con 35.3 -10.5

Lib Dem 3.1 -2.7

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    SeanT said:

You would have thought so maybe Theresa should pay you for advice.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Macron FTW

He's very big in his home town of Pau, where he comfortably won the mayoralty and MoDem dominates local government. But, outside there, not so much.
  • Options

I think Stoke could be a very tight race between Labour and another, or anothers, I don't think the betting markets reflect that.

I'm not expecting that another to be UKIP.

Of course, I could be wrong, and Labour romp home.

Lay Labour?

I think a low turnout Labour win.

Probably, but then Labour is led by an utter idiot and has a local candidate who's called Brexit a bucketful of shit, in one of the most heavily Leave areas in the whole country.

If they still score a clear win, then donkeys is a label many of their voters will not unjustly be tagged with.
    Perhaps being a bit rude about Brexit doesn't evoke in these people the same paroxysms of anguish and disgust that it does in - oh, let's take a random example - some of the patrons of Ronnie Scott's.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I'm very up for it, as you know. But maybe we need Roge to decree it will never happen, first...
    definitely up for it
  • Options
    Pong said:
    If Corbyn gets a boost by clinging on in Copeland and Stoke despite a swing to the Tories doubt Tory MPs will complain too much
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    French TV network TF1 has invited five candidates to its 20 March debate: Le Pen, Macron, Fillon, Hamon, and Mélenchon. Its selection criterion is that it only asks those with more than 10% in the polls. Three of the invitees have taken exception to this: Le Pen, Fillon, and Mélenchon. I'm not sure whether the other two, Macron and Hamon, have said what their feelings are on the selection. Dupont-Aignan, the highest-polling excluded candidate, is hopping mad about it, and has called for TF1 to be boycotted. It's unclear whether the objectors will do anything more, now they have registered their opinion. But pehaps they might.

The rule is that you can only stand in the presidential election if you get signatures from 500 mayors or other elected officials, so even if TF1 relaxed its criterion as far as it could it wouldn't have to invite dozens of candidates.

Mélenchon or Hamon - surely more likely, Mélenchon - may soon withdraw.

Is any pollster asking about Le Pen-Hamon in the second round?
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

F1: Silverstone no longer for sale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-39052326
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Roger said:

And the fact that he didn't confess under torture presumably indicated that he was probably innocent so they let him go. Torture is not a good idea purely from a pragmatic point of view - never mind the moral.
  • Options
    Mr. Cyan, welcome (back?) to the site.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,632
    Pong said:
    Looks like they have their own excuse for their poor expectations management.

Seems like these types of tactics get called useless or scandalous depending on if the target thinks they will lose or not.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2017
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Roger said:

lol typical of Roger
    Obviously, if I were the victim of a miscarriage of justice, I'd want to massacre a load of innocent people who had nothing to do with my imprisonment.
    Personally I would be too busy enjoying my million quid, like a seanT after a royalty cheque.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    dr_spyn said:

Calling in a favour?

Hope not Hate "left leaning"??????

Can I buy for the maximum at "left leaning" and I will go in again at "left wing" and "far left"?
  • Options
    Cyan said:

French TV network TF1 has invited five candidates to its 20 March debate: Le Pen, Macron, Fillon, Hamon, and Mélenchon. Its selection criterion is that it only asks those with more than 10% in the polls. Three of the invitees have taken exception to this: Le Pen, Fillon, and Mélenchon. I'm not sure whether the other two, Macron and Hamon, have said what their feelings are on the selection. Dupont-Aignan, the highest-polling excluded candidate, is hopping mad about it, and has called for TF1 to be boycotted. It's unclear whether the objectors will do anything more, now they have registered their opinion. But pehaps they might.

The rule is that you can only stand in the presidential election if you get signatures from 500 mayors or other elected officials, so even if TF1 relaxed its criterion as far as it could it wouldn't have to invite dozens of candidates.

Dupont-Aignan is on 2%!!

A Hamon-Melenchon tie-up is possible, although very unlikely.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Impossible for us to know if he was a wrongun pre Gitmo, but if not, it could have played a big part in turning him.
    FFS he was a terrorist from the get go. Read his bio. He went to Taliban-dommed Sudan.

They should have quietly garrotted them all in Guantanamo, then said there was a weird scuba accident.
    Do you have some links to this? Most of what I can find is sympathetic puff pieces from the Guardian etc - its quite clear to me he was a wrong one from the start but it'd be good to get a link to this.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

Roger said:

FFS he was a terrorist from the get go. Read his bio. He went to Taliban-dommed Sudan.

They should have quietly garrotted them all in Guantanamo, then said there was a weird scuba accident.
    Haha fair enough. I hadnt really read about him, just open to the idea that incarceration might help convert. It is supposedly happening in UK prisons, I saw a talk by Tommy Robinson w Matt Forde, and he said they are a breeding ground for Islamic terrorism
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    SeanT said:

I don't agree Mr T. There's currently a small but non-negligible risk that something bad happens in the world and somehow we find ourselves with Corbyn as PM.

I'd like to see some sensible Labour-ite at their helm. I still think they'll fall apart, but their views are not completely nonsensical. Their foundations are completely rotten in my view - control of the clever in the name of the stupid, but overseen by villains. Nonetheless the recognition of social concerns etc is something of a strength for them, and I wouldn't want to see that go away.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

dr_spyn said:

Calling in a favour?

Can I buy for the maximum at "left leaning" and I will go in again at "left wing" and "far left"?
    It is interesting what bbc thinks is left leaning vs right wing of the spectrum...anybody would think they were some blairite IPPR-esque organisation.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Alas, it was not a presentation copy - a financial hack presenting a copy of this book to Peel before the Railway mania would almost be newsworthy.
    York to Scarborough done today :)

And it was actually sunny in Scarborough today! South Bay much nearer to the rail station, natch.
  • Options
    Shetland Islands bid to stay in the UK if Scotland http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/768331/Shetland-islands-bid-breakaway-scotland-closer-UKgets independence
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Cyan said:

Facing Hamon is Le Pen's route to the Presidency. However, I suspect Macron would be the biggest beneficiary of a Hamon-Melanchon pact, as it would likely drive moderate socialist voters towards him.
  • Options
    I hate to think how many calories kasper schmeichel fitbit will say he has burned by the end of 90 minutes of this game!
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

I'd be very attempted to actually attend this party, and indeed I would pay for a dozen bottles of decent champagne to make it all flow.

But do we hold it when A50 is declared, or when we officially Brexit in 2019?

Either eway, my offer is genuine.

This afternoon I made €5000 from obscure audible-book deals in France and Italy. Right now I literally have more cash coming in, than I know what do do with.

I'm sorry if Roger, from the world of advertising, finds this vulgar. I can see his point of view. But it is the case.
    Why not 23rd June?
  • Options

I hate to think how many calories kasper schmeichel fitbit will say he has burned by the end of 90 minutes of this game!

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/834495464808579083
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

This afternoon I made €5000 from obscure audible-book deals in France and Italy. Right now I literally have more cash coming in, than I know what do do with.

Mr T

To which political party will you be donating your surplus cash?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    In these turbulent times I'm not sure that historical precedent tells us much. I'm very confident Labour will win Stoke (and have laid UKIP for £100). Copeland in bad weather? Not so confident. But I'm just guessing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Shetland Islands bid to stay in the UK if Scotland http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/768331/Shetland-islands-bid-breakaway-scotland-closer-UKgets independence

Wouldn't most of the oil (for what it's still worth) be Shetland's oil and not Scotland's?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited February 2017
    Mr. T, plenty of betting suggestions on the by-elections if you've got bundles of cash floating around.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Evershed, just think of the trebuchets he could buy!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

SeanT said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Do you have some links to this? Most of what I can find is sympathetic puff pieces from the Guardian etc - its quite clear to me he was a wrong one from the start but it'd be good to get a link to this.
    The sympathetic puff pieces were from the Daily Mail who ran a campaign for his release.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wouldn't most of the oil (for what it's still worth) be Shetland's oil and not Scotland's?
    That is certainly what the Shetlanders will claim
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

I'd be very attempted to actually attend this party, and indeed I would pay for a dozen bottles of decent champagne to make it all flow.

I'm sorry if Roger, from the world of advertising, finds this vulgar. I can see his point of view. But it is the case.
    Fantastic to hear, Sir! It would also be great to finally meet you. And your offer is extremely generous.

I understand Theresa May is targeting invocation for the meeting of the European Council on 9th or 10th March, subject to the A50 Bill receiving Royal Assent in time.

Unfortunately, I am away skiing from 8th-12th March inclusive, so won't be around at this time. Not that it should stop you.

Might a date on the w/c 13th or 20th March work for everyone?

If I had to pick, provisonally Thurs 16th March (subject to A50 actually being invoked by then)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyan said:

Facing Hamon is Le Pen's route to the Presidency. However, I suspect Macron would be the biggest beneficiary of a Hamon-Melanchon pact, as it would likely drive moderate socialist voters towards him.
    I think most moderate social democratic voters are already backing Macron anyway given Hamon is a Corbynista
  • Options

isam said:

dr_spyn said:

Calling in a favour?

It is interesting what bbc thinks is left leaning vs right wing of the spectrum...anybody would think they were some blairite IPPR-esque organisation.
    Arch-Blairite Dan Hodges is heavily involved with 'Hope not Hate' isn't he?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited February 2017

Cyan said:

Dupont-Aignan is on 2%!!
    The argument is that polls shouldn't be given such great importance. And he scored 4% both yesterday and the day before in the running polls by OpinionWay.

Why are you so sure their talks will fail?

Meanwhile France 2, another TV channel, say they want to organise a debate among all the candidates on the ballot by the end of March; and also to give a platform to every candidate on 20 April, three days before the first round. I'm not sure whether the format for the latter event would be a debate, but a sequence of pre-recorded three-minute statements or interviews that would probably bore the living daylights out of people watching seems unlikely, so it will surely be at least something close. "I agree with Nicolas" :smile:
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Why not 23rd June?
    We hold two. We double sandwich it for extra flavour.

One to kick off A50, one at the final whistle in early 2019. Perhaps even *another* after the end of the transition deal and the permanent arrangements kick-in.

Oh, and one annually thereafter on 23rd June.
  • Options

Mr. T, plenty of betting suggestions on the by-elections if you've got bundles of cash floating around.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Evershed, just think of the trebuchets he could buy!

Old-fashioned tech like trebuchets seem to have become quite expensive. Did you see the costs associated with the steam train they ran recently? GBP3m apparently.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Sensible choice. UKIP will continue as a pressure group, but I can't quite seem them replacing Labour, and to do so, they would have to go Le Pen style Left, which wouldn't suit you at all.

I suggest a grammar-schooled TMay led Tory party is a much happier home for guys like you.

I like the cut of her jib, apart from her tolerance of Muslim exceptionalism. Hopefully someone can teach her sense.
    I feel much more at ease with May than Cameron, even though there's no big ideological difference. Cameron just grated on me.
  • Options
    Mr. Omnium, steam trains are fantastic.

As for cost, we can sell tickets to watch criminals be flung into the sea. It'll pay for itself and deliver justice at the same time. It's bi-winning.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited February 2017
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

Dupont-Aignan is on 2%!!
    The argument is that polls shouldn't be given such great importance. And he scored 4% both yesterday and the day before in the running polls by OpinionWay.

Why are you so sure their talks will fail?

Meanwhile France 2, another TV channel, say they want to organise a debate among all the candidates on the ballot by the end of March; and also to give a platform to every candidate on 20 April, three days before the first round. I'm not sure whether the format for the latter event would be a debate, but a sequence of pre-recorded three-minute statements or interviews that would probably bore the living daylights out of people watching seems unlikely, so it will surely be at least something close. "I agree with Nicolas" :smile:
    http://www.liberation.fr/elections-presidentielle-legislatives-2017/2017/02/19/hamon-melenchon-c-est-mort_1549639

Not sure if you speak French Cyan but I think the knock-out quote was Mélenchon describing the Socialist Party as a hearse...
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Why not 23rd June?

One to kick off A50, one at the final whistle in early 2019. Perhaps even *another* after the end of the transition deal and the permanent arrangements kick-in.

23rd June should become a public holiday, like 12th July in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Why not 23rd June?

agreed
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Fantastic to hear, Sir! It would also be great to finally meet you. And your offer is extremely generous.

I understand Theresa May is targeting invocation for the meeting of the European Council on 9th or 10th March, subject to the A50 Bill receiving Royal Assent in time.

Unfortunately, I am away skiing from 8th-12th March inclusive, so won't be around at this time. Not that it should stop you.

If I had to pick, provisonally Thurs 16th March (subject to A50 actually being invoked by then)
    An Article 50 Party - Count me in!
  • Options
    Pong said:
    Don't be so crude.

When we eat babies it's it's sliced and sautéed so they melt in the mouth with a glass of port and a dresser salad on a the side.
  • Options

Might a date on the w/c 13th March work for everyone?

Cheltenham...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Why not 23rd June?

... and like the Orangemen's Day it will piss off a large part of the population, which I guess is the idea.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

23rd June should become a public holiday

Celebrated much like 28th June, and for similar reasons...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Why not 23rd June?

... and like the Orangemen's Day it will piss off a large part of the population, which I guess is the idea.
    And what happens iF Brexit is a disaster and consigns the UK to the crapness of outer Europe...what will we celebrate?
  • Options

a glass of port

European muck? You'll have warm ale, and be glad of it!
  • Options
    tyson said:

And what happens iF Brexit is a disaster and consigns the UK to the crapness of outer Europe...what will we celebrate?

Bask in the warm glow of Sovereignty...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Why not 23rd June?

You're in then?
  • Options
    I hope we're all buying new Jaguars as well?

Mine arrives on 4th March. I'm ever so slightly excited about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIDqd7KRSRw
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

In these turbulent times I'm not sure that historical precedent tells us much. I'm very confident Labour will win Stoke (and have laid UKIP for £100). Copeland in bad weather? Not so confident. But I'm just guessing.

I think that you are too pesimistic over @GillTroughton in Copeland. I think she should be 4/9 rather than 9/4. A solid local candidate on local issues. I think Snell is safe in Stoke too, probably with Tories in second place. Snell was certainly a bit potty mouthed on twitter in the past (though making disparaging comments on twitter about tv shows is hardly a capital crime!) but has been sound during the campaign.

2 Labour holds and UKIP sent packing is my prediction and betting.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Jesus..what twats you all are......

Next you'll want to be celebrating Hitler's birthday....

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    170 or so other nations/territories seem to exist perfectly well outside the EU, so don't worry. We won't drop off the sides if we sail away.
  • Options

Mr. Omnium, steam trains are fantastic.

As for cost, we can sell tickets to watch criminals be flung into the sea. It'll pay for itself and deliver justice at the same time. It's bi-winning.

I look forwards to the LDs announcing that as their policy. I bet they give you no credit.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Sensible choice. UKIP will continue as a pressure group, but I can't quite seem them replacing Labour, and to do so, they would have to go Le Pen style Left, which wouldn't suit you at all.

I suggest a grammar-schooled TMay led Tory party is a much happier home for guys like you.

I like the cut of her jib, apart from her tolerance of Muslim exceptionalism. Hopefully someone can teach her sense.
    I feel much more at ease with May than Cameron, even though there's no big ideological difference. Cameron just grated on me.
    I think May is much more comfortable with her own party, its members and volunteers.

Cameron was more comfortable with his own social set, who coincidentally also happened to be Tories, but if you weren't in you were very definitely out.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I don't normally support petitions but given the NHS is in crisis and the £350 Million per week has been disowned by leading Brexit advocates in government. Surely it is a good move to put pressure on the government to increase funding on the NHS. If the Government has a mandate for Brexit, it has a mandate to increase NHS funding by £350 Million a week:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171869
  • Options
    tyson said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

No connection. We're fighting for our independence from Hitler's successors.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Works for me. I'm likely to be away on the Tues/Weds, but would be around on the Thurs and could manage anywhere in the region of the Weymouth-Waterloo line.

Would have the added benefit of annoying early Patrick's Day revellers, too. (As part Ulsterman, I'm allowed to say this).
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Presumably this party will be as far away from the Metropolitan elite as possible in Brexit Central. Stoke or Sunderland?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Good man!
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    tyson said:

Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Why not 23rd June?

Come Back Please Dave Day? Or Thanks for Giving Us PM Corbyn Day?
  • Options
    tyson said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Hitler believed in a highly centralised pan-European super-state :)
  • Options
    Mr. Omnium, alas. People often steal my brilliant ideas.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Works for me. I'm likely to be away on the Tues/Weds, but would be around on the Thurs and could manage anywhere in the region of the Weymouth-Waterloo line.

Would have the added benefit of annoying early Patrick's Day revellers, too. (As part Ulsterman, I'm allowed to say this).
    I really would not want to attend an event with the likes of you Mortimer and other swivel eyed loons. But have a good night...you can all mutually masturbate each other.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Presumably this party will be as far away from the Metropolitan elite as possible in Brexit Central. Stoke or Sunderland?

How about Richmond
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Sean_F said:

We could have a unique parallel day - 52% of the population would have a day of celebration, 48% a day of mourning. Everyone would get the day off for whichever purpose they preferred :)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The telegraph claim it was cuddly ken Clarke who did the compensation deal for the terrorists not May.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Wednesday 22nd is Germany vs England International Friendly... could be apt!
This discussion has been closed.