Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 2019 becomes favourite for year of next general election as pu

Comments

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I can't think of anything the Labour leadership would like more than inheriting utter chaos from the Tories. Its straight out of the Marxist playbook - the worse the chaos the greater the opportunity for imposing the kind of revolutionary change McDonnell has spent his whole life dreaming about.

That might be so. But there are some sane Labour MPs.
    Richard you always forget that sane or bonkers, the raison d'etre of Lab MPs is to get into power so they can have a go at f*cking it up for themselves.

They are not (paid, expected, voted in) to ponder the issue and eventually give the Tories the benefit of the doubt. Their premise is that we would not be in this mess if it had all been left to the Labour Party to sort out in the first place. That view is not time-limited or subject to change depending on circumstances.
    Precisely. Labour is the opposition, its role is to oppose.

Anyway, nearly all Labour MPs are remainers and most of them think that voting down Mays deal will lead to a second referendum which will reverse the result of the first. And this view is also held by the vast majority of Labour Party members. So the chances of Labour supporting the deal are in the region of zero.
    You may be in for a surprise
    I agree - this is high stakes and if the perception develops that Labour are playing "silly b-s" for party gain or Corbynista purity they will be heavily damaged.
    Again may I refer you to Exhibit 1: The Iraq War. Tone owns it. Cons voted heavily in favour. Dun't matter.
    I'm looking at situation where Labour effectively block the deal. If it is Labour, DUP , Tory nutters and high stakes remainers defeating May then the blame will not be on her or majority Tory side.
    It will. But it will also be on those who voted it down. The government will be blamed for being too weak to get their plan through, and/or for not negotiating a better deal (however unrealistic that might have been). But the blame will not stop there. If Labour delivers a No Deal, even by accident, by taking a tactical bet that they could use Brexit to engineer a GE, then firm Remainers will not take that lying down.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

What's the timetable on the deal now - at what point does it get ponged back to Brussels ?

Cabinet today, all EU Countries receive deal detail today, the EU then convenes a Council Meeting later this month to formally confirm the deal.

The deal then goes to the HOC and EU Parliaments
    It'd be economically awful for us but would be very domestically politically convienient for pretty much everyone here if a member of the EU27 threw its toys out the pram over this.

I'd say there is a non zero possibility Italy might do so.
    Someone on here was telling me it is only EU Parliament, not the individual legislatures, who need to approve a WA?
    All the 27 have to agree as well as the EU Parliament
  • Options
    A lot of this boils down to the calculation of voting down May's deal from the various factions, and the risk it leads to

1) Change in PM
    2) change in Government (General Election)
    3) No deal Brexit
    4) Re-negotiation
    5) Extention of A50
    6) Peoples vote
    7) No Brexit

Basically the events flow from one to the other which an option of stopping on one of these things, how far down you go depends on your judgement of the circumstances.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    currystar said:

TOPPING said:

‪Labour needs May’s deal to get through Parliament without its support but with the Tories split. Anything else is problematic and potentially disastrous. But it’s hard to see how it happens.‬

This is exactly right. The problem Labour has is that to keep all sides of their coalition on board they need to vote against the deal, but only if they don't quite defeat the government. If the deal fails because they successfully defeat the government with the help of their friends in the ERG and maybe the DUP, then they risk getting landed with the fallout, likely to be either the utter chaos of a no-deal crashout, or the utter chaos of trying to reverse the result of the People's Vote.
    I can't think of anything the Labour leadership would like more than inheriting utter chaos from the Tories. Its straight out of the Marxist playbook - the worse the chaos the greater the opportunity for imposing the kind of revolutionary change McDonnell has spent his whole life dreaming about.
    Richard you always forget that sane or bonkers, the raison d'etre of Lab MPs is to get into power so they can have a go at f*cking it up for themselves.

They are not (paid, expected, voted in) to ponder the issue and eventually give the Tories the benefit of the doubt. Their premise is that we would not be in this mess if it had all been left to the Labour Party to sort out in the first place. That view is not time-limited or subject to change depending on circumstances.

Anyway, nearly all Labour MPs are remainers and most of them think that voting down Mays deal will lead to a second referendum which will reverse the result of the first. And this view is also held by the vast majority of Labour Party members. So the chances of Labour supporting the deal are in the region of zero.
    I agree - this is high stakes and if the perception develops that Labour are playing "silly b-s" for party gain or Corbynista purity they will be heavily damaged.
    A lot of the pressure to vote against will be from People's voters, not Corbynistas
    So peoples vote want a No Deal scenario??
    So long as they can BLAME THE TORIES.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Scott_P said:
    I've long thought she may, at the appropriate time, initiate a 24hr leadership confidence vote. Straight after receiving cabinet support might be an appropriate time.... assuming she wins, it further shoots the ERG fox for 12 months and neutralises their power.

It would be bold. But offence is often the best defence.
    Not sure that she can do that under the current party rules. The way is only via 48 letters, I think.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    If I were May I would be making a statement and calling on all sides to back the deal. I would also stress that when she asked for a strong mandate in last years election the British people didn’t want to give it and expect all our politicians to work for the good of the country.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I've long thought she may, at the appropriate time, initiate a 24hr leadership confidence vote. Straight after receiving cabinet support might be an appropriate time.... assuming she wins, it further shoots the ERG fox for 12 months and neutralises their power.

This '12 month' rule is over-rated. It would just take one meeting of the 1922 Exec to amend or delete that rule, so it's hardly a firm foundation on which to base a strategy.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:

Not sure that she can do that under the current party rules. The way is only via 48 letters, I think.
    She'd have to get her friends to send in letters.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:

couldn't she do a Major, resign from leadership of the Tories (remain PM) and then re-apply?
  • Options
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:

She could always ask some of the majority of Tory MPs we never hear about because they aren't either remainer grandstanding or spouting off about vassalage to write a few letters.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

What's the timetable on the deal now - at what point does it get ponged back to Brussels ?

Cabinet today, all EU Countries receive deal detail today, the EU then convenes a Council Meeting later this month to formally confirm the deal.

It'd be economically awful for us but would be very domestically politically convienient for pretty much everyone here if a member of the EU27 threw its toys out the pram over this.

Someone on here was telling me it is only EU Parliament, not the individual legislatures, who need to approve a WA?
    Ok. So I was misinformed. That is important re betting. It is a non--trivial possibility.
    Hope you and your good lady are feeling better btw.
  • Options

Xenon said:

Hello everyone. I've been away for ages, for those of us not quite paying attention, how good is the deal we've got? Can we make trade deals with other countries?

I think the answer is: not yet - maybe later......
    Actually that's a very important point. Amidst all the hysteria, drama, threats, speculation, grand-standing and navel-gazing, it's very easy to overlook the fact that we don't actually know much if anything yet about what the future relationship will look like.
    Remember also that parliament has to vote on *both* the WA and the FR documents at the same time.
    Not really, we're voting on the blueprint future relationship. The actual future relationship is years away
    Yes, it's the Framework for the Future Relationship that will be voted on. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    News regarding Plato. Following the recent discussion here regarding Plato I sent her an email enquiring after her health. I have just received a reply from her brother informing me that Phillippa died at home of natural causes aged 51 on 29th June. She had apparently been unwell for some time, but had refused to see a doctor. Her brother tells me what we all knew - Plato lived for scrapping and discussions on forums such as this place.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,872
    Interesting that Jo Johnson, Dominic Grieve and now Phillip Lee have spoken out against the deal already. I wonder if they're trying to stiffen the resolve of their wavering colleagues.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ok. So I was misinformed. That is important re betting. It is a non--trivial possibility.
    Hope you and your good lady are feeling better btw.
    Thank you. Slowly improving. On the 27 I think it is done on QMV
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    currystar said:

Seems like a lot of them are hoping for a crash-exit, so they can say "told you so".

ERG-types are barely any better.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

News regarding Plato. Following the recent discussion here regarding Plato I sent her an email enquiring after her health. I have just received a reply from her brother informing me that Phillippa died at home of natural causes aged 51 on 29th June. She had apparently been unwell for some time, but had refused to see a doctor. Her brother tells me what we all knew - Plato lived for scrapping and discussions on forums such as this place.

Oh. That's awful news :( Thanks for informing us, 51 is far too young to go.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A majority in the European Parliament and QMV in the Council.
    That is what I was told. Now I am confused. Big G says otherwise.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Gadfly said:

Very sad news.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Wow.. RIP Plato.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

That's very sad news indeed. Thanks for letting us know.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Gadfly said:

Oh that is very sad news.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

That is just so sad. I enjoyed Plato contributions even though I rarely agreed with her.

May she rest in peace
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited November 2018

philiph said:

Scott_P said:

couldn't she do a Major, resign from leadership of the Tories (remain PM) and then re-apply?
    Nope, once you resign or lose a VONC you are automatically barred from standing in the subsequent leadership contest.

Is why IDS couldn't stand again in 2003, is something Labour should have in their rules, would have stopped Corbyn standing again in 2016.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768

Off-topic:

AMD have announced a new processor, Zen 2. They have named it 'Rome':

As Rome wasn't built on one die.

Award yourself 100 geek points if you get it.

A pun so bad it will be etched on my memory...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I did qualify it to QMV for the 27
  • Options
    Mr. Gadfly, I feared something like that had happened, but thank you for letting us know. (Her Twitter had fallen silent abruptly and she didn't reply to an e-mail I sent asking if she was ok).

RIP Miss Plato.
  • Options

philiph said:

Scott_P said:

Nope, once you resign or lose a VONC you are automatically barred from standing in the subsequent leadership contest
    Has that changed since Major then? (probably has I'm guessing)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

‪Labour needs May’s deal to get through Parliament without its support but with the Tories split. Anything else is problematic and potentially disastrous. But it’s hard to see how it happens.‬

This is exactly right. The problem Labour has is that to keep all sides of their coalition on board they need to vote against the deal, but only if they don't quite defeat the government. If the deal fails because they successfully defeat the government with the help of their friends in the ERG and maybe the DUP, then they risk getting landed with the fallout, likely to be either the utter chaos of a no-deal crashout, or the utter chaos of trying to reverse the result of the People's Vote.

I dont think so, Brexit is a wholly owned by the Tories project.

There are similarities though to Blair getting the Iraq war approved only via oppisition votes. Nobody holds that against the Tories, but it is poison for Blairites.

Labour cannot lose on this one.
    Brexit is owned by the voters - many of whom vote(d) Labour.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited November 2018

Scott_P said:

This '12 month' rule is over-rated. It would just take one meeting of the 1922 Exec to amend or delete that rule, so it's hardly a firm foundation on which to base a strategy.
    Indeed - but that would be hard to achieve unless the backbenchers were utterly united she had to go and she was clinging on regardless. It is hard to conceive of another situation within 12m of winning a vote where it would be acceptable or possible to change those rules against her wishes.

I admit it's the John Major approach, but the rules are easier for Mrs May now than they were for him.

It has a risk but I can see it bringing a degree of stability if she pulled it off.
  • Options
    RIP Plato. Sobering and sad. Even though I hardly ever agreed with her.
  • Options
    On the subject of blame: Ed Miliband maneged to get the blame for our failure to get involved in Siria at an early date.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Thanks for letting us know.
  • Options

Asked this a couple of threads back but asking again in case somebody knows:

If there's a deal, what now needs to happen on what timetable? Apparently it has to go through the UK parliament - is there any particular deadline on that, or is it enough for it to be passed at some time before the exit date?

The related question is, say the Conservative Party decided that it wants to enjoy a long, relaxing leadership contest, would that blow up the process in some way, or could the EP and everybody else carry on considering the deal as if the UK were going to accept it, then give whatever unlucky person ends up as UK PM a choice of taking it or leaving it?

My understanding is:
    Today - Cabinet
    Early next week - EU27 Europe affairs ministers
    Nov 25th - EU summit, heads of government
    Early Dec - meaningful vote in House of Commons
    Jan to March 29th - Pass the legislation putting the withdrawal agreement into law through UK and EU Parliaments.
    March 30th onwards - Negotiate the future relationship during the transition period.

The EU can continue to put their legal pieces into place on the assumption - until told otherwise - that the new PM would stick to the agreement. It would cut the time to pass the legislation through the Commons, which would be problematic if we assume that the fact of a leadership contest implies strong opposition to it on the Conservative backbenches.

If May loses a vote of no confidence then her deal dies with her I would have thought.
  • Options

philiph said:

Scott_P said:

Nope, once you resign or lose a VONC you are automatically barred from standing in the subsequent leadership contest
    Has that changed since Major then? (probably has I'm guessing)
    Yeah, see my edit.

Was part of William Hagues reforms in 1998/99.
  • Options
    Very sad news about Plato. I'm not going to pretend that she was ever a bosom buddy but 51 is no age to die. Rest in peace.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited November 2018
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:

48 letters can be procured - they can be supporters as well as detractors wishing to support her to resolve this by lancing the boil.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I did qualify it to QMV for the 27
    Yes you did. Sorry for confusion. My misunderstanding.
  • Options

Asked this a couple of threads back but asking again in case somebody knows:

If there's a deal, what now needs to happen on what timetable? Apparently it has to go through the UK parliament - is there any particular deadline on that, or is it enough for it to be passed at some time before the exit date?

The related question is, say the Conservative Party decided that it wants to enjoy a long, relaxing leadership contest, would that blow up the process in some way, or could the EP and everybody else carry on considering the deal as if the UK were going to accept it, then give whatever unlucky person ends up as UK PM a choice of taking it or leaving it?

If May loses a vote of no confidence then her deal dies with her I would have thought.
    The EU would be under no complusion to re-enter any negotiations though. This would simply say 'This is the deal, take it or leave it'.

the idea that Labour would get a 'better' one falls apart at the first hurdle.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    RIP, Plato.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Pulpstar said:

notme said:

Or is it just they make really good cars that people want to buy ?

The cars, I understand, are good.
    They are indeed
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Gadfly said:

That's sad.
  • Options

notme said:

I think the govt comms strategy on this is canny.

Let the ultras on both sides and the mediaevalists of the DUP vent their spleen in the first cycle - with only the occasional moderate voice like Hague to ensure the initial narrative doesn't kill off the deal before it breathes life (the ultras key objective atm).

This allows the 2/3rd of parliament and the country that is reasonably sane to see exactly who they would be trooping through the lobbies with if they oppose this deal (as if they didn't already know what nutters Soubry and Moggy are).

It leaves the Moggites with little new to say in the next news cycle... they opposed it before they even saw the detail. Hardly considered action in the national interest.

Then with all/almost all of the cabinet on side, the real push from govt begins, choregraphed with the EU. It will be powerful, and much of it aimed at the long-suffering/bored/reasonable public.

I think Labour will be hard pressed to argue in that scenario that voting the deal down is in the national interest and not narrow party interest - particularly when May is seen to be calling the bluff of the ultras.

I could be wrong. But it's going to be great to watch the next couple of weeks. If Mrs May fails, she will go down as a failure regardless of the merits. If the pulls this off, she will (quite rightly) be seen in a much more positive light and receive credit for bridging the seemingly impossible in the face on unceasing unpleasantness.

Yes we do keep forgetting that it isn’t the ultra leavers or remainers that compose of the mildly disinterested British population. She’s playing the line of leaving the EU and trying to do it with as little disruption as possible. She’ll get away with it and come out stronger as long as we are no longer pumping in net £9 billion a year.
    Except one of the little details yet to emerge is how much more, for how much longer.....
    EU will make it forever, they will keep taking the cash and we will be in limbo forever , paying up and getting no say. Total surrender.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

currystar said:

TOPPING said:

A lot of the pressure to vote against will be from People's voters, not Corbynistas
    So long as they can BLAME THE TORIES.
    Some will want No Deal, as they think it would have us begging to rejoin the EU on any terms.
  • Options
    Osborne shit stirring, who'd have thunk it.
  • Options

We await the Attorney General's legal advice about the deal.

No doubt that will only be published at the very last minute with the excuse that the 500 pages of text take a long time to consider.

Boil the frog slowly is the tactic.

Everybody knows what that lickspittle will say.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

There are similarities though to Blair getting the Iraq war approved only via oppisition votes. Nobody holds that against the Tories, but it is poison for Blairites.

The other thing about Iraq was the dodgy dossier - it was based on lies that were probably authorised by Campbell and blair
  • Options
    Very sad news about Plato although she drove me crazy.

I met her once at a PB Sussex gathering near Gatwick and she was full of life and energy. 51 is too young to die.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    Gadfly said:

Thats really sad news

I always thought Plato kept us on our toes, her posts while often provocative were never boring
  • Options

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

The problem Labour has is that to keep all sides of their coalition on board they need to vote against the deal, but only if they don't quite defeat the government. If the deal fails because they successfully defeat the government with the help of their friends in the ERG and maybe the DUP, then they risk getting landed with the fallout, likely to be either the utter chaos of a no-deal crashout, or the utter chaos of trying to reverse the result of the People's Vote.
    Its straight out of the Marxist playbook - the worse the chaos the greater the opportunity for imposing the kind of revolutionary change McDonnell has spent his whole life dreaming about.

Brexit is owned by the voters - many of whom vote(d) Labour.
    Only just over half of them (shouldn't really need saying) and probably no longer.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    Dura_Ace said:

The US have already decided who their enemy is and it's China.

War. War never changes.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Many many words today. But I want to challenge that this is BINO. Norway might be, but this still counts as hard Brexit to me and I'm sure many others who've been sceptical about the whole project all along.

We're out of our EU trade deals, out of single market for 80% of economy, out of freedom of movement. That harder Brexits were on the table doesn't make it Brexit In Name Only - just look at the reaction from the Remain side to the reports. Where are the remainers saying that they feared it would be worse? Can't see any.

Don't confuse the backstop with the future relationship which is yet to be negotiated. The backstop is only an insurance policy. The ultimate direction of travel is towards something more like BINO.
    Purgatory more like
  • Options
    Awful news about Plato. RIP
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Labour will abstain, that is their normal position, then say it was a big girl who did it and ran away.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    Pulpstar said:

Osborne shit stirring, who'd have thunk it.
    you mean Osborne the shit, stirring.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

notme said:

I think the govt comms strategy on this is canny.

Let the ultras on both sides and the mediaevalists of the DUP vent their spleen in the first cycle - with only the occasional moderate voice like Hague to ensure the initial narrative doesn't kill off the deal before it breathes life (the ultras key objective atm).

This allows the 2/3rd of parliament and the country that is reasonably sane to see exactly who they would be trooping through the lobbies with if they oppose this deal (as if they didn't already know what nutters Soubry and Moggy are).

It leaves the Moggites with little new to say in the next news cycle... they opposed it before they even saw the detail. Hardly considered action in the national interest.

Then with all/almost all of the cabinet on side, the real push from govt begins, choregraphed with the EU. It will be powerful, and much of it aimed at the long-suffering/bored/reasonable public.

I think Labour will be hard pressed to argue in that scenario that voting the deal down is in the national interest and not narrow party interest - particularly when May is seen to be calling the bluff of the ultras.

I could be wrong. But it's going to be great to watch the next couple of weeks. If Mrs May fails, she will go down as a failure regardless of the merits. If the pulls this off, she will (quite rightly) be seen in a much more positive light and receive credit for bridging the seemingly impossible in the face on unceasing unpleasantness.

Yes we do keep forgetting that it isn’t the ultra leavers or remainers that compose of the mildly disinterested British population. She’s playing the line of leaving the EU and trying to do it with as little disruption as possible. She’ll get away with it and come out stronger as long as we are no longer pumping in net £9 billion a year.
    Except one of the little details yet to emerge is how much more, for how much longer.....
    EU will make it forever, they will keep taking the cash and we will be in limbo forever , paying up and getting no say. Total surrender.
    I can't believe that our negotiating team would come away, having accepted that.

If they have, I can't believe that the Cabinet would accept it.

If they do, I can't believe that Westminster will accept it.

Seems my belief systems are about to be sorely tested!
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Gadfly said:

Sorry to hear about Phillippa, RIP Plato.

She had an interesting political evolution.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gadfly said:

Oh. That's awful news :( Thanks for informing us, 51 is far too young to go.
    Desperate Tidings indeed
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Very sorry to hear the news re Plato. A former POTY I think? RIP. Thanks for letting us know Gadfly.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited November 2018
    Gadfly said:

Dreadful news. She and I used to get on well and often messaged via the forum software. I will never again look at a Cuban Heel without thinking of her. It was her favourite.

:cry::cry:
  • Options

On the subject of blame: Ed Miliband maneged to get the blame for our failure to get involved in Siria at an early date.

There are quite a few ways that Labour could get the blame. The one I think is the biggest risk and no one is considering, is that they will now have to commit to a position that May gets to frame. This is a deal that meets a lot of the tests, and is not far from the Labour position. May could stress that Labour should support it to demonstrate their manifesto pledge to honour the referendum result. Are they willing to cause significant economic problems over x y and z. Once Labour have to commit they alienate seemingly either their supporters, or a lot of their voters. In order to maintain the party they should commit to remaining, as they would seem to have more leeway in Leave constituencies, and they can’t fight an imminent election without volunteers

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Gadfly said:

Horrible news. Plato was incredibly kind to me via DM when I needed support. A genuinely kind, thoughtful woman. I'll miss her.
  • Options

A lot of this boils down to the calculation of voting down May's deal from the various factions, and the risk it leads to

1) Change in PM
    2) change in Government (General Election)
    3) No deal Brexit
    4) Re-negotiation
    5) Extention of A50
    6) Peoples vote
    7) No Brexit

Basically the events flow from one to the other which an option of stopping on one of these things, how far down you go depends on your judgement of the circumstances.

Interesting list.
    Change in PM - Only worthwhile if changing to one that wants 'No Deal' or 'People's Vote'
    Change in Government - Can only see this happening by accident. Even if it does the problem doesn't go away.
    No Deal Brexit - Nobody wants this.
    Re-negotiation - Will the EU have anything much different to offer?
    People's Vote - A way out. Result could be Chequers, Crash Out or Stay
    No Brexit - Available via People's Vote
  • Options

There are quite a few ways that Labour could get the blame. The one I think is the biggest risk and no one is considering, is that they will now have to commit to a position that May gets to frame. This is a deal that meets a lot of the tests, and is not far from the Labour position. May could stress that Labour should support it to demonstrate their manifesto pledge to honour the referendum result. Are they willing to cause significant economic problems over x y and z. Once Labour have to commit they alienate seemingly either their supporters, or a lot of their voters. In order to maintain the party they should commit to remaining, as they would seem to have more leeway in Leave constituencies, and they can’t fight an imminent election without volunteers

Labour have to keep assuring Leave supporters that they support Leave (but not the government's Leave) while assuring Remain supporters that they really favour Remain.
  • Options
    I don't see that the Backstop can require us to make budgetary contributions, because, ex hypothesi, we have left (unlike the implementation period). But I will wait and see, becaue this particular backstop is more implementation-y.
  • Options

The EU would be under no complusion to re-enter any negotiations though. This would simply say 'This is the deal, take it or leave it'.

Dunno, Corbyn might be able to offer something that was better for both sides than what they've already got, as TMay was heavily constrained by the DUP and internal Conservative Party neuroses.
  • Options
    Rory Stewart looks and sounds weird and needs a good meal.
  • Options
    If the Republicans start gerrymandering State boundaries to their advantage then future Democrats will one day look back fondly to the fairness of the current 50-State Senate.
  • Options

Dunno, Corbyn might be able to offer something that was better for both sides than what they've already got, as TMay was heavily constrained by the DUP and internal Conservative Party neuroses.
    No she wasn't!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Labour have to keep assuring Leave supporters that they support Leave (but not the government's Leave) while assuring Remain supporters that they really favour Remain.
    Yes but as the end point approaches this is a risk to them.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

RIP Plato :'(
  • Options

If the Republicans start gerrymandering State boundaries to their advantage then future Democrats will one day look back fondly to the fairness of the current 50-State Senate.
    The Democrats can play that game, too... The Republicans are doing pretty well out of the current set of boundaries, so they probably wouldn't be wise to open the box...
  • Options
    First time watching PMQs live for ages. What a bear pit...
  • Options
    Is that pin in Jezza's lapel one of support for the Venezuelan social care services?
  • Options
    Peter Bone is down to ask a question.
  • Options
    "New California" is still relatively Democrat, but to about the same level as New Jersey is - Coastal Cali becomes a stronger stronghold than Hawaii.

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/1062673778080145408
  • Options

The Democrats can play that game, too... The Republicans are doing pretty well out of the current set of boundaries, so they probably wouldn't be wise to open the box...
    In principle that is true, but in practice the Republicans are more committed and have been more successful. Also the Democrat vote is somewhat self-gerrymandered in the big cities.
  • Options

Very sad news about Plato although she drove me crazy.

I met her once at a PB Sussex gathering near Gatwick and she was full of life and energy. 51 is too young to die.

I know there's a lot going on today and water under the bridge but it might be nice for old time's sake to put an in memoriam passage on a thread header today, akin to what was done for the sad passing Mark Senior. :(
  • Options
    Corbyn artfully picking at Tory scabs...
  • Options

Both states are still safe Democrat holds.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,021
    TOPPING said:

Rory Stewart looks and sounds weird and needs a good meal.

I think he was #43 in the PB tories' leader of the week sweepstake. He's been in the army. Iraq and everything.
  • Options
    You know Liam Fox is crap when even Jeremy Corbyn is taking the piss out of him,
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Both states are still safe Democrat holds.
    And two more senators
  • Options
    If the GOP want to take "NEw California" then they need to move San Jose and San Diego out of it I think.
  • Options

Let me guess:-

"Does the Prime Minister agree that she is the greatest traitor in our country's history?"
  • Options
    You wonder if even Theresa May believes the excuses she is coming out with
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

"Does the Prime Minister agree that she is the greatest traitor in our country's history?"
    I think it was Tony Marlow who told John Major to resign during PMQs, I wonder if we'll see a repeat.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Sean_F said:

What is it exactly you expect her to deliver out of interest?
  • Options
    Very sad to hear the news about plato.... Quite a character here for many years. Rip.
  • Options
    "Conservative MP @AmberRuddHR tells @EmmaBarnett that the draft #Brexit agreement does “deliver” and that “perfect was never going to be on offer."
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Gadfly said:

Ah that's sad. Very sad news indeed.
  • Options
    MAY: "we will not rerun the referendum".

Nailed on that she will then
  • Options
    Peter Bone predictable as usual.
  • Options
    BONE: is the Prime Minister aware that everything she just said is a total lie?
This discussion has been closed.