Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad news for Theresa May as ORB brings horrible polling for he

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad news for Theresa May as ORB brings horrible polling for her

This month’s Brexit Confidence tracker poll shows 80% of UK adults disapprove of the way the government is handling the Brexit negotiations, the highest figure recorded since this tracker poll began in November 2016https://t.co/k55Qbr2hff#Brexit #Poll #TheresaMay #BrexitDeal pic.twitter.com/uYyjcPWD3J

Read the full story here

Comments

• British Isis hostage John Cantlie is believed to be alive more than six years after being captured, the security minister has said.

The war photographer was kidnapped alongside James Foley in 2012, and was later forced to appear in a series of propaganda videos and magazines.

Ben Wallace told US journalists that Mr Cantlie is believed to still be alive as a prisoner of the terrorist group, but would give no further details.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/john-cantlie-alive-isis-hostage-syria-kidnap-government-security-minister-a8763891.html?amp
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    @MarqueeMark FPT - a three way referendum wouldn't allow remain on less than half of the vote, that's the whole point. Methinks a thread on AV or twenty might be in order!

And on topic May is learning what defending the status quo looks like and how hard it is, when opponents can say anything without accountability. 48% looking pretty good in context.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    They should get a proper out and out Leaver in charge of it, at least people would know where they stood.

Step forward Mr Corbyn.
  • MrXMrX Posts: 12
    The 75-80% probability for no deal seems high to me. Why are you so confident the house of commons won't stop it?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721
    If we got back Calais we'd need a backstop for the Calais/France border!
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    MrX said:

The 75-80% probability for no deal seems high to me. Why are you so confident the house of commons won't stop it?

Because they have been singularly useless at deciding on anything for the past x months and No Deal is the default unless that drastically changes?
  • Should've axed May after the 2017 debacle.
    eek said:

MrX said:

Because they have been singularly useless at deciding on anything for the past x months and No Deal is the default unless that drastically changes?
    No I don't think so. I mean yes according to the current A50 status, but I don't think May or the Commons will let this happen. May will extend before she lets us exit to WTO.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited February 2019
    CatMan said:

Aren’t we due the whole of France by virtue of the Treaty of Troyes? Another obligation the French ignored :p
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

MrX said:

No I don't think so. I mean yes according to the current A50 status, but I don't think May or the Commons will let this happen. May will extend before she lets us exit to WTO.
    I still don't get this idea that us extending will be automatically allowed by the EU.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited February 2019
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

MrX said:

I still don't get this idea that us extending will be automatically allowed by the EU.
    Depends when it is pushed I think.

I mean it is a very humiliating red button to hit for May which would result in the current Tory fissures erupting into an earthquake, so I'd imagine she'd hit it quite late in the day.
    Spain could come back to the issue of Gibraltar...
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

MrX said:

Last week’s votes suggested that May couldn’t rely on backbench rebels and the opposition to do her unpopular work for her - I’m sure an extension would be backed if proposed by the government, but it’s looking increasingly like that’s the only way. The reluctance of Tory rebels (and a double-digit number of their own MPs) to vote with Labour seems to make anything else impossible. On balance I think that May would go for an extension to stave off chaos, but I’m increasingly nervous she’ll carry on playing chicken and miscalculate the time available. What makes you confident that she will do it?
  • CatMan said:

And a map for Dominic Raab.
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

MrX said:

Depends when it is pushed I think.
    At that point I think they would be quite accommodating, short of amending all of a sudden the WA. I can't for the life of me think what she would say but we have come this far and hence an extra few months is neither here nor there in the great scheme of things.
  • TOPPING said:

They should get a proper out and out Leaver in charge of it, at least people would know where they stood.

Step forward Mr Corbyn.

Frankenstein's Brexit.
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

MrX said:

Almost certainly not automatic, but once the U.K. starts asking the conversation moves irreversibly from ‘shall we extend?’ to ‘how can we extend?’
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,560

TOPPING said:

Step forward Mr Corbyn.

Frankenstein's Brexit.
    FRONKENSTEEN !
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    RobD said:

CatMan said:

Aren’t we due the whole of France by virtue of the Treaty of Troyes? Another obligation the French ignored :p
    Apparently there is no "cancellation" clause in the Treaty of Troyes so it is, indeed, all ours.
    Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

MrX said:

Last week’s votes suggested that May couldn’t rely on backbench rebels and the opposition to do her unpopular work for her - I’m sure an extension would be backed if proposed by the government, but it’s looking increasingly like that’s the only way. The reluctance of Tory rebels (and a double-digit number of their own MPs) to vote with Labour seems to make anything else impossible. On balance I think that May would go for an extension to stave off chaos, but I’m increasingly nervous she’ll carry on playing chicken and miscalculate the time available. What makes you confident that she will do it?
    Time will at some point run out. Oh yes she'll carry on nothing has changeding for a while but at some point it's sh*t or get off the pot and we will need to get off it.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Should've axed May after the 2017 debacle.

However she is a handy vessel in which to drain poison.

Then bury her come the summer.

While I'm in caps lock mode, I note KLOBUCHAR is still at similar odds to Tulsi Gabbard (around 20/1).
    As Gabbard ought to be nearer 200/1, this makes little sense to me.

Surfing fans ?
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Apparently there is no "cancellation" clause in the Treaty of Troyes so it is, indeed, all ours.
    Wouldn't something akin to the rule against perpetuities apply, though ?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

To press the claim we'd have to find an heir of Henry V, which would be tricky...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited February 2019
    MrX said:

Inter alia

1) Brexit is the law

2) MPs have had several opportunities to delay Brexit and flunked it every time

3) What Brexit has shown is that our political class are by and large pygmies, I don't think they have the wit or wisdom to stop Brexit. Look at all those thickies who confuse the withdrawal agreement with the final trade deal or those who think we can get unicorns if we try harder.

4) Corbyn's ambivalence on Brexit

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

To press the claim we'd have to find an heir of Henry V, which would be tricky...
    Henry VI?

I’ll get my coat...
  • MrX said:

Inter alia

1) Brexit is the law

2) MPs have had several opportunities to delay Brexit and flunked it every time

3) What Brexit has shown is that our political class are by and large pygmies, I don't think they have the wit or wisdom to stop Brexit. Look at all those thickies who confuse the withdrawal agreement with the final trade deal or those who think we can get unicorns if we try harder.

4) Corbyn's ambivalence on Brexit
    So true

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

No, we'd have to find an heir of Henry V, which would be tricky...
    Surely that would be Danny Dyer, by proclamation as he was a Norman rather than Lancastrian.
  • RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Henry VI?

I’ll get my coat...
    He's unavailable.
  • rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Bloody Lancastrians.
  • Mr. Flashman (deceased), more like a dirty bomb than a contained vessel of poison.

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Bloody Lancastrians.
    And, indeed, Bloody Mary.

Though that is really the fault of the Spaniards.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    I think I was about 20 yards away from getting my photo on the front page of the Evening Standard!
    https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1092777921348026368
    Sandpit said:

I think I was about 20 yards away from getting my photo on the front page of the Evening Standard!
    https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1092777921348026368

Given the paper is about a foot across that’s not a huge accomplishment....

:D
    Scott_P said:
    Did she tell the EU to stick it up their Junker?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2019
    I think Liam Neeson should have watched this video...

Malcolm Tucker's Guide to Managing Your Public Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4apdXipwEU
  • Liam Neeson is really in trouble: Brendan O'Neill is defending him.

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1092804778235740162
  • Liam Neeson is really in trouble: Brendan O'Neill is defending him.

I hate myself, I agree with Brendan O'Neil.
  • Delator is the hottest new job, don't you know.

As an aside, I'm re-watching I, Claudius. Patrick Stewart has made his first appearance (brief couple of scenes in the fourth episode).
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Liam Neeson is really in trouble: Brendan O'Neill is defending him.

Wow. I didn't realise Neeson was in that deep of shit.
  • notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Step forward Mr Corbyn.

Frankenstein's Brexit.
    FRONKENSTEEN !

Ok, EyeGore
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764

It does seem odd. Neeson was condemning his past racist behaviour, not excusing it.,
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Find myself in the same boat. He doesn't deserve a medal. But has reflected on past feelings, attitudes and behaviours, concluded he was wrong, and vowed to be a better human being.
    I would have thought that was a good thing.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Sean_F said:

It does seem odd. Neeson was condemning his past racist behaviour, not excusing it.,
    Heaven forbid anyone who goes on a journey from somewhere shit (say Hartlepool) to somewhere enlightened (say, Cannes).

The message from Twitter: anyone who has ever been in a dark place can never, ever be allowed to return from it.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

Danny Dyer?
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    dixiedean said:

Find myself in the same boat. He doesn't deserve a medal. But has reflected on past feelings, attitudes and behaviours, concluded he was wrong, and vowed to be a better human being.
    Thoughtcrime can never be condoned or redeemed.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019

Sean_F said:

Heaven forbid anyone who goes on a journey from somewhere shit (say Hartlepool) to somewhere enlightened (say, Cannes).

The message from Twitter: anyone who has ever been in a dark place can never, ever be allowed to return from it.
    Except for Corbyn and his henchmen, natch. And they don't even need to disown their previous appalling behaviour.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited February 2019
    Just remembered the prodigal son. Sounds like the woke version has the father tell his son to sod off.

Edited extra bit: "There is more joy in Heaven over one sinner who repents" etc.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Tiny amounts of money involved but why should anyone be offering odds of 3.7/3.8 that Trump doesn't mention Caravans in his State of the Union address? I've must have missed why it is even though of as a possibility. others are Fake News, China, Wall, Brexit and Russia which are at least issues known to me.
    matt said:

dixiedean said:

Having said that, as penance, may I suggest fewer formulaic shite movies from now on?
  • dixiedean said:

matt said:

dixiedean said:

Having said that, as penance, may I suggest fewer formulaic shite movies from now on?
    It could be worse, he could go back to being in the really bad Star Wars movies...
    edited February 2019
    I'm not sure this real. From the Guardian

'May floats prospect of joint UK-Ireland World Cup bid for 2030

May says the ties of family and friendship between the UK and Ireland are more important than ever. There is a yearning for a close relationship. That is why she will work with Leo Varadkar, the Irish PM, to achieve this.

She says the Irish government has suggested annual meetings, where both PMs and their ministers could come together to discuss issues.

May floats the prospect of the UK and Ireland staging a joint World Cup bid for 2030, provided the two respective football associations approve the idea.'

Did she really say this? And isn't she aware that the Scots and Welsh have FA'd off already?

Tiny amounts of money involved but why should anyone be offering odds of 3.7/3.8 that Trump doesn't mention Caravans in his State of the Union address? I've must have missed why it is even though of as a possibility. others are Fake News, China, Wall, Brexit and Russia which are at least issues known to me.

Presumably caravan in the sense of the central american refugee caravan. Americans refer to our sort of caravans as trailers.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456

Caravan refers to the people coming up from Central America to get into USA.

"Caravans" is Trump speak for organised hordes of migrants travelling through Mexico.
  • WigeonWigeon Posts: 11
    Hello, first post. A refugee from Order-Order. The site is a joke, too many weirdos and nasty people abound.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764

Sean_F said:

I suspect that the twitter mob would never apply that standard to themselves.
    dixiedean said:

"Caravans" is Trump speak for organised hordes of migrants travelling through Mexico.
    gotcha. thanks to the three of you.
    Wigeon said:

Hello, first post. A refugee from Order-Order. The site is a joke, too many weirdos and nasty people abound.

Welcome. I hope we've less weirdos and nasties.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited February 2019

May says the ties of family and friendship between the UK and Ireland are more important than ever. There is a yearning for a close relationship. That is why she will work with Leo Varadkar, the Irish PM, to achieve this.

She says the Irish government has suggested annual meetings, where both PMs and their ministers could come together to discuss issues.

May floats the prospect of the UK and Ireland staging a joint World Cup bid for 2030, provided the two respective football associations approve the idea.'

Did she really say this? And isn't she aware that the Scots and Welsh have FA'd off already?

The idea has been floating around in various forms for a while. The issue will be one of national team entries although given FIFAs desire to increase the finals to include every team on the planet that should be less of an issue.

Wigeon said:

Hope over experience? :)
  • Welcome to PB, Mr. Wigeon.

Sean_F said:

Speaking of dark places and twitter...

https://twitter.com/ToniaAntoniazzi/status/1092565366025400322?s=19
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2019
    Wigeon said:

Before you may enter...you must answer yes or no to 3 simple questions....

1) Do you like Pineapple on Pizza?
    2) Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?
    3) Boxed Wine - Is it ever acceptable to serve at a party?
    Wigeon said:

The cucumbers rise at dawn.

Fuck off.

:smile: Welcome
    Wigeon said:

Greetings. The sound of the wigeon is indeed a most satisfying one.

Wigeon said:

Thank you OKC. Read this blog for ages and decided, to be honest, far more interesting and sociable. The language on OrderOrder is disgraceful and I consider myself a man of the world.
    edited February 2019

Rounders would be more appropriate. They always have a backstop. And score points by going round and round in circles.
    dixiedean said:

matt said:

dixiedean said:

The irony is that from now on, he'll only be able to get work on Death Wish VIII, Death Wish IX, Death Wish X.......
  • FPT with apologies for dropping out of the conversations as I got stuck in conference calls.

@Richard_Tyndall - Why don't you just advocate a united Ireland as the solution, given that you support it? Why shouldn't the people of Great Britain have an equal right to leave the union?

As you know I am very much in favour of a united Ireland. I am just not convinced that imposing it on a hostile island (given significant proportions of both north and south seem to be opposed to it) is the way to make friends and influence people.
    Wigeon said:

Wigeon said:

Thank you OKC. Read this blog for ages and decided, to be honest, far more interesting and sociable. The language on OrderOrder is disgraceful and I consider myself a man of the world.
    HA! You've walked into the first trap.

It's FEWER weirdos.

That's two slices of pineapple pizza you need to eat.
  • Wigeon said:

At first reading I thought the weirdos and nasties referred to us. :)

Wigeon said:

Before you may enter...you must answer yes or no to 3 simple questions....

1) Do you like Pineapple on Pizza?
    2) Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?
    3) Boxed Wine - Is it ever acceptable to serve at a party?
    Oh, and write a short essay on the Second Punic Wars. No more than four hundred thousand words.
  • That's nothing, I've worn Liverpool shirts in Manchester.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

Wigeon said:

I'd definitely say so from a mostly lurking point of view. I never manage to read more than 2-3 OO comments. Here I can read for hours below the line. Last night's metrication discussion was rather interesting.
    dixiedean said:

Rounders would be more appropriate. They always have a backstop. And score points by going round and round in circles.
    very good.
    edited February 2019

That's nothing, I've worn Liverpool shirts in Manchester.
    Well, it's not like there are any ManU fans in Manchester to take offence.....

EDIT and Man City fans will just point and laugh.
    He was allied, apparently, to be promoting Qatari interests in the UAE
  • Welcome to PB, Mr. 1992.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

Welcome to PB, Mr. 1992.

Thanks, I've posted a couple of times before but it's particularly great procrastination while I'm bored in my masters seminars ha.
  • I'm not sure this real. From the Guardian

The idea of a UK - Ireland joint world cup bid with matches at grounds across both countries has been on the agenda for a long time. It is not new

The idea of a UK - Ireland joint world cup bid with matches at grounds across both countries has been on the agenda for a long time. It is not new
    I thought it was the three home nations (without England) plus RoI.
    I wonder who suggested it to May!
    RH1992 said:

Last night's metrication discussion was rather interesting.

Sounds like you've found your spiritual home.....!

• Mr. 1992, ha. Can't be as fun as the time I was the only man in an hour long seminar that was on menstruation.
    New HMV has given up on the SW.

Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol and Bath all closing.
  • I'm not sure this real. From the Guardian

I assume TM has been aware of the plans for as long as they have been discussed

It is a joint UK and Ireland bid to include all nations. Bit like the rugby but without France
  • RH1992 said:

Wigeon said:

I'd definitely say so from a mostly lurking point of view. I never manage to read more than 2-3 OO comments. Here I can read for hours below the line. Last night's metrication discussion was rather interesting.
    Welcome to PB
    TOPPING said:

Wigeon said:

Wigeon said:

It's FEWER weirdos.

Gives me mouth ulcers
  • New HMV has given up on the SW.

Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol and Bath all closing.

TBH, I have no idea what the new Canadian owner sees in the brand.
  • Wigeon said:

Wigeon said:

Welcome to PB - It is virtually my first place for news these days. And such varied opinions
    Wigeon said:

TOPPING said:

Wigeon said:

Wigeon said:

It's FEWER weirdos.

Gives me mouth ulcers
    Good man.

Mr. 1992, ha. Can't be as fun as the time I was the only man in an hour long seminar that was on menstruation.

I hope on leaving you were heard to say "well that was a bloody waste of time...."

I assume TM has been aware of the plans for as long as they have been discussed

It is a joint UK and Ireland bid to include all nations. Bit like the rugby but without France
    From the words she used, as reported, I think she thought it was her idea. But you think more highly of her than I do, so may be giving her the benefit of the doubt which I would not.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    More vacuous nonsense from May ,

She really becomes more deluded by the day . A backstop with a time limit isn’t a backstop . The EU need to tell her to take a hike .

This discussion has been closed.