Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Labour Twitter thread with a sting in the tail from Michael

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Labour Twitter thread with a sting in the tail from Michael Crick

Unlike the Tories, who charge thousands of pounds to go pheasant shooting with their ministers, a Labour government will never be bought off by the rich and powerful.https://t.co/mFBYHGTSK2

Read the full story here

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    Oh, it's the annual pretend outrage that the Tories hold a fancy fundraiser time is it? Cool, always good for a laugh at the formulaic, manufactured nature of it. Then we can get onto the Tories' turn to get pretend outraged about something.

Has Crick interviewed May though, I cannot recall.
    Cyclefree said:

Pizza requires beer, my very dogmatic Italian source insists.

Or Coca Cola.

Is he or she Neapolitan? If not, ignore the rubbish they are telling you. A beer is OK. Coca Cola is muck, fit only to get the rust off metal garden chairs.

You'd have to be mad to want to pour it inside you.
    Plenty that is muck is great. Though coke is best with the pizza left over from the night before.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Or Coca Cola.

Is he or she Neapolitan? If not, ignore the rubbish they are telling you. A beer is OK. Coca Cola is muck, fit only to get the rust off metal garden chairs.

Plenty that is muck is great. Though coke is best with the pizza left over from the night before.
    If you've seen what it does to rust.... I certainly wouldn't want it doing the same thing to my intestines.

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Or Coca Cola.

If you've seen what it does to rust.... I certainly wouldn't want it doing the same thing to my intestines.

Eh, there's a lot of crap in there already.
    Does the money from the unions not count then?

Or is Labour saying that unions aren't powerful or aren't rich?
    Cyclefree said:

While I do think the union funding is worthy of note, in fairness it is not quite the same thing.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Shouldn’t those Labour tweets talk about shekels?
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Or Coca Cola.

Wrong bit of the anatomy. There's food in my stomach and intestines. The crap is elsewhere.

(I feel this discussion has now reached a cul de sac. Or un cul, certainly.)
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

While I do think the union funding is worthy of note, in fairness it is not quite the same thing.
    Why not? It's money. And it gets the unions access and a voice in Labour Party policy making.
  • Oh god....

England have dropped wicketkeeper Ben Foakes and recalled Keaton Jennings for the final Test against West Indies, which begins on Saturday.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Corbyn is such a normal bloke, down to Earth, grounded and balanced. Not an ideological lifelong politico who sees causes not people.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Oh god....

England have dropped wicketkeeper Ben Foakes and recalled Keaton Jennings for the final Test against West Indies, which begins on Saturday.

I'm not sure why the England selectors persist in selecting Keaton Jennings.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited February 2019
    I don't know why political parties cannot do the transparent thing of selling honours in an auction.

It would be amusing to see who would bid for instance to be duke of Upper Ramsbottom in Lancashire for instance!

The whole honours system is a complete joke anyway. Very few of the honours at higher levels are given for actual contributions to society, quite often an individual is awarded some honour for doing a job many others could do to the same ability.

Peerages and the like seem to be awarded not on merit but which PC correctness or political goal they address. Personally, I think the House of Lords should be abolished, some peers have their place in the Lords simply due to the hereditary principle still being active for F -sake! Others, have simply bought their way in because they have been lucky in life. It has no natural justice!
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Jonathan said:

Corbyn is such a normal bloke, down to Earth, grounded and balanced. Not an ideological lifelong politico who sees causes not people.

Well to be fair to Corbyn he is pretty down to earth - he's about as close as you can get. Otherwise yes, you're completely wrong.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Unlike past Labour governments then?
  • Holding politicians to account is so last millennium. In this respect Jeremy Corbyn is very mainstream.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,232
    Godsdammit it's another new thread! Aaargh! Threads should have a minimum lifespan or change at set times. I am vexed again.
    And mobile PB is back to normal. Yay!
    viewcode said:

Godsdammit it's another new thread! Aaargh! Threads should have a minimum lifespan or change at set times. I am vexed again.

But then there would be no excitement surrounding firsts!
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

But then there would be no excitement surrounding firsts!
    :)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    " a Labour government will never be bought off by the rich and powerful"

*cough* Bernie Ecclestone *cough*

*cough* million quid *cough*
  • viewcode said:

And still not a thread on best biscuit...
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401

That was a 'New Labour' government...
    I don't know whether to be worried that my bet on a prompt exit will lose, or worried that it will win. This shower couldn't find their arse with both hands and a map.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Or Coca Cola.

Wrong bit of the anatomy. There's food in my stomach and intestines. The crap is elsewhere.

(I feel this discussion has now reached a cul de sac. Or un cul, certainly.)
    Don’t inflame the situation
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I don't know why political parties cannot do the transparent thing of selling honours in an auction.

It would be amusing to see who would bid for instance to be duke of Upper Ramsbottom in Lancashire for instance!

The whole honours system is a complete joke anyway. Very few of the honours at higher levels are given for actual contributions to society, quite often an individual is awarded some honour for doing a job many others could do to the same ability.

Peerages and the like seem to be awarded not on merit but which PC correctness or political goal they address. Personally, I think the House of Lords should be abolished, some peers have their place in the Lords simply due to the hereditary principle still being active for F -sake! Others, have simply bought their way in because they have been lucky in life. It has no natural justice!

Google Maundy Gregory
  • What a shitshow Brexit has become, to think some idiots like Hannan say we're worried about Brexit becoming a success.

No-deal Brexit risks rise as UK-Japan trade talks stall.

Tokyo confident it can secure better terms from the UK than it did in discussions with EU.

Britain and Japan have made little progress on a new trade deal in the past 18 months, according to officials involved in the talks, with tariffs set to revert to World Trade Organization levels at the end of March unless the UK ratifies a Brexit deal.

Japan has agreed to extend existing trade terms for the duration of Britain’s planned transition period with the EU — but this will not apply if the UK fails to strike a deal with Brussels.

It is now too late for the Japanese Diet to ratify any agreement before Brexit is scheduled to take place on March 29. There is also a wide gap in expectations about a trade accord, which would apply either in the case of no-deal Brexit or at the end of Britain’s planned transition period, which is due to end in December 2020.

Tokyo is confident that it can secure better terms from the UK than it did in negotiations with the much larger EU, and is not willing to duplicate the existing treaty precisely in either a bilateral deal or in talks for the UK to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership group. 

“The new agreement is not just a copy-and-paste of the existing treaty,” said one Japanese official briefed on the talks. “The tariffs, rules and quotas need to be negotiated separately.”

The lack of progress on a future bilateral deal — a goal set out by prime minister Theresa May on a visit to Japan in August 2017 — highlights the UK’s broader struggle to roll over existing EU trade deals, let alone secure anything better.

This week, Britain’s Department for International Trade briefed 30 business groups on its failure to replicate “most” of the EU’s trade deals with other countries around the world. Participants complained that they would be seriously affected by the failure to conclude agreements with partners as significant as Canada, Turkey and Japan.

https://www.ft.com/content/5ce60af2-2b90-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

New Labour - Tory.

viewcode said:

I won that thread. I laid down HobNobs at the very beginning, which is the toppest of all tops in Biscuit Top Trumps. Discussion then devolved into the presence or absence of chocolate on said HobNobs, but that's peripheral.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Truly astounding just how stupid are these people . I think many Brits aren’t even aware as May drones on about stopping Freedom of Movement that it applies to them aswell .

• viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I won that thread. I laid down HobNobs at the very beginning, which is the toppest of all tops in Biscuit Top Trumps. Discussion then devolved into the presence or absence of chocolate on said HobNobs, but that's peripheral.
    The Jaffa cake absolutists are worse than hard core remainers and brexiteers....
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,757

Oh god....

I don't know what the England selectors are smoking, but I'm fairly sure the Liberal Democrats are in favour of legalising it.
    MaxPB said:

New Labour - Tory.
    It was unified (well, dissenters were quashed), pro-business, maintained a strong pound, financed the armed forces, didn't bang on about Europe, and won enormous Parliamentary majorities.

Pause

So not that Tory, then... :)
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

This thread is about nobs hobnobbing with other nobs.

And then we will be back to Corbyn and McCluskey and it will be about knobs hobnobbing with other knobs.
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

No chocolate on my Hobnobs for the rest of the month #Dechox
  • viewcode said:

viewcode said:

The Jaffa cake absolutists are worse than hard core remainers and brexiteers....
    Jaffa cakes are the best biscuit.
  • ydoethur said:

Oh god....

I don't know what the England selectors are smoking, but I'm fairly sure the Liberal Democrats are in favour of legalising it.
    I think even uncle vince might be a better pick to open the batting.

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

:)

ydoethur said:

Oh god....

I think even uncle vince might be a better pick to open the batting.
    I still can't believe England are picking an opener who averages one against balls aimed at the stumps.

Even Chris Martin was a batter batsman than that.
  • ydoethur said:

Oh god....

Calm down, this is the last test before the Ashes.

Basically Stokes isn't likely to play, so they need to bring in a bowler and a batter, so dropping Foakes brings in Wood.

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

They should make a cake with an orangey filling and biscuit crumbs. They could call it "Jaffa Biscuit" and sell it in the cake aisle... :)

ydoethur said:

Oh god....

That is a truly epic contradiction.

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

No chocolate on my Hobnobs for the rest of the month #Dechox
    I am oddly sad about that.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited February 2019
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

They should make a cake with an orangey filling and biscuit crumbs. They could call it "Jaffa Biscuit" and sell it in the cake aisle... :)
    It self identifies as a biscuit and you should respect its choices.
  • ydoethur said:

Oh god....

Basically Stokes isn't likely to play, so they need to bring in a bowler and a batter, so dropping Foakes brings in Wood.
    I hope nobody has day 4 tickets for any ashes matches...cos you ain’t going to be seeing much cricket.

ydoethur said:

Oh god....

I hope nobody has day 4 tickets for any ashes matches...cos you ain’t going to be seeing much cricket.
    Have we seen any actual cricket from England in this series?
  • ydoethur said:

Oh god....

I have day 4 tickets for three Ashes tests.

That said, the Aussies are awful as well.

We've got our outfits sorted for the Headingley test, we're all going dressed as sandpaper, which might be the only joy during the Ashes, oh that and chating, get your shit stars off our flag.
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

This thread is about nobs hobnobbing with other nobs.

And then we will be back to Corbyn and McCluskey and it will be about knobs hobnobbing with other knobs.
    Yes. But some of the nobs are knobs, some of the knobs are nobs, and some of them are knobbi[That's enough - Ed]
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oh god....

Good point...but England bat deep....
    edited February 2019
    She hasn't forgotten it, what they want she cannot deliver so not delivering it is not a sign of forgetting anything. If it is such an issue then parliament should known the Brady amendment plan was bollocks.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oh god....

Good point...but England bat deep....
    Not as deep as they've sunk.
  • Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has made a bid for cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, which collapsed into administration last month.

Is there any high street chain mike doesn’t want to buy?
    How's that a betting post? It's like saying 'lay England to win the world cup' or 'lay Jennings to score a century' or 'lay Chris Williamson to say something that isn't overtly Nazi.'

Nobody was going to bet on those anyway.

Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has made a bid for cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, which collapsed into administration last month.

He wants to have his cake and gobble it up too?
  • Still I've had worst first dates.

A female Sumatran tiger at London Zoo has been killed by a potential mate as the pair were being introduced.

Melati, 10, died on Friday during her first meeting with seven-year-old Asim - whose name means "protector" in Arabic.

They had been housed in adjoining enclosures for the last 10 days so they could see and smell each other, and it was hoped they would breed as part of a Europe-wide conservation programme for the species.

But the zoo said their first encounter "quickly escalated into a more aggressive interaction"

https://news.sky.com/story/sumatran-tiger-melati-killed-at-london-zoo-by-new-mate-11631853

Still I've had worst first dates.

A female Sumatran tiger at London Zoo has been killed by a potential mate as the pair were being introduced.

Melati, 10, died on Friday during her first meeting with seven-year-old Asim - whose name means "protector" in Arabic.

They had been housed in adjoining enclosures for the last 10 days so they could see and smell each other, and it was hoped they would breed as part of a Europe-wide conservation programme for the species.

But the zoo said their first encounter "quickly escalated into a more aggressive interaction"

https://news.sky.com/story/sumatran-tiger-melati-killed-at-london-zoo-by-new-mate-11631853

He didn't like her as soon as he spider.
  • What a shitshow Brexit has become, to think some idiots like Hannan say we're worried about Brexit becoming a success.

Tokyo is confident that it can secure better terms from the UK than it did in negotiations with the much larger EU, and is not willing to duplicate the existing treaty precisely in either a bilateral deal or in talks for the UK to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership group. 

“The new agreement is not just a copy-and-paste of the existing treaty,” said one Japanese official briefed on the talks. “The tariffs, rules and quotas need to be negotiated separately.”

The lack of progress on a future bilateral deal — a goal set out by prime minister Theresa May on a visit to Japan in August 2017 — highlights the UK’s broader struggle to roll over existing EU trade deals, let alone secure anything better.

This week, Britain’s Department for International Trade briefed 30 business groups on its failure to replicate “most” of the EU’s trade deals with other countries around the world. Participants complained that they would be seriously affected by the failure to conclude agreements with partners as significant as Canada, Turkey and Japan.

I have virtually stopped listening to the news today with increasing despair at the trashing of our Country by our mps. I am willing it to go away but I know we have darker days ahead.

Corbyn adds to the misery as he is quite the most hopeless opposition leader since Foot, and at least Foot was intelligent. We see blockades of vehicles put by Maduro to stop the basic medical and food supplies coming in to help the sick children and elderly and yet we have a labour leadership that refuses to condemn him. The hounding of Luciana Berger is an ever present reminder of just how far labour has gone from its values, and many labour mps want out but cannot organise themselves to leave thereby adding to Corbyn's legitimacy

TM pointless EU travels adds to the gloom and we have the ERG, ready to crash our economy onto the rocks

I can never recall such a depressing time and if it was not for the triumphant and smug looks on the EU unelected bureaucrats I would support stopping it all now and revoking A50

I am ashamed of the ERG as must so many labour mps be with Corbyn. I will not remain in the conservative party if they drive us to a no deal

I condemn each and every mp and the media who have failed us. I do not know how this ends but I am ashamed of our politicians

Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has made a bid for cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, which collapsed into administration last month.

I suggested this as a piss-take weeks ago. Based purely on Ashley looking like someone who enjoys the occasional slice of cake or four.
  • Again, what does mr chav sports wear see in an upmarket cake shop?

I think his plan is to open them in House of Fraser and Debenhams (if he acquires that).

Corbyn adds to the misery as he is quite the most hopeless opposition leader since Foot, and at least Foot was intelligent.

Now hang on Big G, that's most unfair. Foot wasn't the best leader but he was intelligent, a strong parliamentary performer and a man of integrity and dignity. We can't say any of those about Corbyn.

I was mulling over leaders of the opposition who were less effective than Corbyn. I think he's worse than Lansbury, although the parallels are obvious. I think we have to go back to the Marquis of Granby in February 1848 (that being the one month he served) to find someone more extraordinarily useless.

And he at least had the self awareness to resign!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2019

Again, what does mr chav sports wear see in an upmarket cake shop?

I think his plan is to open them in House of Fraser and Debenhams (if he acquires that).
    Don’t they already have a deal with Sainsbury’s?

I honestly don’t see Ashley’s plan here with house of Fraser, Debenhams and he tried to get game.

The sports direct play he pulled off I got.

Again, what does mr chav sports wear see in an upmarket cake shop?

He's turned part of our local House of Fraser into a sports shop. Maybe they'll start selling trainers in the cake shops.

He's turned part of our local House of Fraser into a sports shop. Maybe they'll start selling trainers in the cake shops.
    Do they carry Jaffa cakes?

He did that to the Meadowhall House of Fraser.
  • ydoethur said:

Corbyn adds to the misery as he is quite the most hopeless opposition leader since Foot, and at least Foot was intelligent.

Now hang on Big G, that's most unfair. Foot wasn't the best leader but he was intelligent, a strong parliamentary performer and a man of integrity and dignity. We can't say any of those about Corbyn.

I was mulling over leaders of the opposition who were less effective than Corbyn. I think he's worse than Lansbury, although the parallels are obvious. I think we have to go back to the Marquis of Granby in February 1848 (that being the one month he served) to find someone more extraordinarily useless.

IDS wasn't very good, although I've developed a grudging respect recently.

I have virtually stopped listening to the news today with increasing despair at the trashing of our Country by our mps. I am willing it to go away but I know we have darker days ahead.

Corbyn adds to the misery as he is quite the most hopeless opposition leader since Foot, and at least Foot was intelligent. We see blockades of vehicles put by Maduro to stop the basic medical and food supplies coming in to help the sick children and elderly and yet we have a labour leadership that refuses to condemn him. The hounding of Luciana Berger is an ever present reminder of just how far labour has gone from its values, and many labour mps want out but cannot organise themselves to leave thereby adding to Corbyn's legitimacy

TM pointless EU travels adds to the gloom and we have the ERG, ready to crash our economy onto the rocks

I can never recall such a depressing time and if it was not for the triumphant and smug looks on the EU unelected bureaucrats I would support stopping it all now and revoking A50

I am ashamed of the ERG as must so many labour mps be with Corbyn. I will not remain in the conservative party if they drive us to a no deal

I condemn each and every mp and the media who have failed us. I do not know how this ends but I am ashamed of our politicians
    If it's any consoloation,Big G, I share your pain.
  • ydoethur said:

Em - I did say Foot was intelligent !!

If it's any consoloation,Big G, I share your pain.
    I am sure the vast majority do as well
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    ydoethur said:

Well some fish are self-aware, it seems, according to the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology as reported in today's Telegraph.

ydoethur said:

William Hague was rubbish as well - one net gain in 2001 from the worse result (1997) the Tories had for over a century. IDS was really shit though, even worse than Hague as leader. I remember the Quite Man turning up the volume speech!

ydoethur said:

He was still better than Corbyn.

Admittedly that's like saying somebody is more democratically elected than Maduro.

ydoethur said:

You implied he was a worse leader of the opposition than Corbyn. I just can't agree.
  • nico67 said:

Truly astounding just how stupid are these people . I think many Brits aren’t even aware as May drones on about stopping Freedom of Movement that it applies to them aswell .

About the kindest comment I can come up with on that is that it reminds me of Churchill's remark that an MP's belief in democracy was unlikely to survive five minutes of conversation with a constituent.

What a shitshow Brexit has become, to think some idiots like Hannan say we're worried about Brexit becoming a success.

Many people feel the same about the news. I have heard by-passers in the street saying they have stopped watching the news it is so depressing!
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

You implied he was a worse leader of the opposition than Corbyn. I just can't agree.
    That was not my intetion. Corbyn is a lot worse than Foot
  • This discussion about leaders of the opposition, and Jeremy Corbyn’s “dissatisfied” numbers are by far the worst ever. When you consider the competition, that’s quite something.

nico67 said:

About the kindest comment I can come up with on that is that it reminds me of Churchill's remark that an MP's belief in democracy was unlikely to survive five minutes of conversation with a constituent.
    'I would have no doubt the miners' leaders are the stupidest men in England, had I not frequent occasion to meet the owners.'

Lord Birkenhead.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745

Perhaps we are a "failed State" obviously not in the sense of a Venezuela or a Somalia - a different kind of failure, a failure not just of a political class but of the very definition of governance in terms of setting the terms of reference for the direction of the country.

It's not the fault of a political class or even a political system - to paraphrase "the fault lies not in our politicians but in ourselves". We are a complex post-industrial advanced society - technology is offering not just evolution or devolution but revolution in how it can re-order the very concepts which provided the stability and order of the 20th Century.

Such things challenge us fundamentally and they can seem overwhelming and it's easy to retreat back to the comfortable solutions of the past but the future won't allow such luxury.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OK, I'll forgive you, as you're an intelligent poster and it was probably an honest mistake (unlike that examiner who thought Harold won at Hastings).

This discussion about leaders of the opposition, and Jeremy Corbyn’s “dissatisfied” numbers are by far the worst ever. When you consider the competition, that’s quite something.

Theresa May would be the worst imaginable candidate for PM - were it not for Jeremy Corbyn.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I dislike Corbyn but he gained seats compared to Foot who lost many!
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Admittedly that's like saying somebody is more democratically elected than Maduro.
    Hmmm, let me see now.....Corbyn/IDS....IDS/Corbyn.....Can I get back to you on that one?

It grieves one to think that IDS was the Stop Ken Clarke candidate. What were you guys in blue thinking of?
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I dislike Corbyn but he gained seats compared to Foot who lost many!
    I was a member of the Labour Party when Foot was Leader, and campaigned for his election. I remember thinking he was poor, but the shower he was leading was the problem rather than him.
  • ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

'I would have no doubt the miners' leaders are the stupidest men in England, had I not frequent occasion to meet the owners.'

Lord Birkenhead.
    Lol! Never heard that before. Wonderful. Thank you, Ydoethur.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm, let me see now.....Corbyn/IDS....IDS/Corbyn.....Can I get back to you on that one?

It grieves one to think that IDS was the Stop Ken Clarke candidate. What were you guys in blue thinking of?
    I voted for Ken Clarke as I was a member at the time!

IDS was shit on a stick. I saw him give a floundering speech at a hustings and wondered why people were voting for him. Clarke on the other hand gave a speech without notes to an audience that he tailored his message toward. I have a very high regard for KC, shame he is not in his forties now as he has the qualities to lead the UK out of this malaise.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OK, I'll forgive you, as you're an intelligent poster and it was probably an honest mistake (unlike that examiner who thought Harold won at Hastings).
    It was indeed - Corbyn is the worst labour leader in all my 75 years bar non

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No idea, not being a Tory.

But with all his faults nobody to my knowledge accused Duncan Smith of racism, covering up child sex abuse or of taking money to promote anti-British propaganda.
  • ydoethur said:

William Hague was rubbish as well - one net gain in 2001 from the worse result (1997) the Tories had for over a century. IDS was really shit though, even worse than Hague as leader. I remember the Quite Man turning up the volume speech!
    There is a particularly memorable car-crash interview with John Humphries on the Today Programme. IDS had obviously been told to affect laughter at any awkward question. The result was painfully embarrassing. I think he lost the job soon after.
    ydoethur said:

This discussion about leaders of the opposition, and Jeremy Corbyn’s “dissatisfied” numbers are by far the worst ever. When you consider the competition, that’s quite something.

Theresa May would be the worst imaginable candidate for PM - were it not for Jeremy Corbyn.
    I shuddered when I discovered she was candidate for PM. Then she got it to my despair! I had similar bad vibes about Gordon Brown. The sad thing about todays situation is the complete lack of decent or even viable alternative.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

You can take our freedom, but you’ll never take our SHORTBREAD!!!

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IDS was shit on a stick. I saw him give a floundering speech at a hustings and wondered why people were voting for him. Clarke on the other hand gave a speech without notes to an audience that he tailored his message toward. I have a very high regard for KC, shame he is not in his forties now as he has the qualities to lead the UK out of this malaise.
    He was an outstanding minister and a great public servant, even if he was also dogmatic and not good at connecting with ordinary people instead of talking down to them.

But it's not hard to imagine given the shambles the Tories were at the time that his career as leader in 1997 or 2001 would indeed have been comparable to Foot's.

And with that cheerful thought, good night.
  • ydoethur said:

I shuddered when I discovered she was candidate for PM. Then she got it to my despair! I had similar bad vibes about Gordon Brown. The sad thing about todays situation is the complete lack of decent or even viable alternative.
    And your last sentence captures the whole problem
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

Lord Birkenhead.
    Lol! Never heard that before. Wonderful. Thank you, Ydoethur.
    I always liked from the same man:

Judge: I've listened to you for an hour and I'm none wiser.
    FE Smith: None the wiser, perhaps, my lord but certainly better informed.

Nothing to do with my case today of course.

Also: "Churchill has spent the best years of his life preparing impromptu remarks."

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a quote from Tony Benn describing the Falklands War as "the last twitch of Britain's colonial past". But actually, I see Brexit in these terms. All the talk of 'Empire 2.0', the constant digging up of WWII tropes and propaganda. For a small but significant number of powerful individuals in this country, it's a last desperate grasp for the past in the face of a complex and transformed world. All of us kick and rail against 'the new' to some extent, but I guess if you have vast wealth and power you get to try to turn the clock back.

I have kids Big G, so I must be optimistic: we will get through this. A poorer, more humble nation certainly. But perhaps one that can finally shake off its colonial baggage and undergo a long, dark teatime of the soul - and consider the kind of country and culture we want. I'm still proud to be British, but that pride comes from British values of tolerance, liberty and democracy. I see the coming 'Battle of Britain' after Brexit more a Jihad for this country's soul, and we need everyone to bring their best selves to the fight.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The sad truth is that Clarke could never have led the Tory Party because of his views on Europe. Equally sad was the parallel with Healey and the Labour Party, which is often remarked upon.

ydoethur said:

There is a particularly memorable car-crash interview with John Humphries on the Today Programme. IDS had obviously been told to affect laughter at any awkward question. The result was painfully embarrassing. I think he lost the job soon after.
    I wonder if IDS was getting the advice from Mike Penning? I had to laugh in the last year when Penning tried to claim he was a moderate middle of the road Tory. Penning was the media spokesman for the whipless Maastricht rebels in the 1990s and IDS's right hand man as deputy head of media at Tory HQ in his short tenure as leader. No doubt he advised on the Quite man speech as well!
This discussion has been closed.