Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next step for Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya – facing a recall

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next step for Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya – facing a recall petition which could trigger a by-election

This morning the Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya, who won the seat for LAB from CON at GE2017, lost her appeal against her conviction and is now facing recall petition. This was a process introduced by Nick Clegg during the coalition and allows constituents to demand that their MP be recalled provided that 10% of the total numbers on the electoral in the constituency demand one and one of a number of conditions is met.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Nick Clegg Rocks!!!!!!! :D
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Lump on the tiggers if they are registered in time

Tiggers split Lab vote and Con wins.

Been here before...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Splitters!
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There look to be at least six Leave-leaning parties standing in Peterborough, should there be a by-election. Labour should keep the seat comfortably.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    GIN1138 said:

Nick Clegg Rocks!!!!!!! :D

Cleggasm?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Presumably, she'll run as an independent, in order to get severance pay.
    GIN1138 said:

Been here before...
    Disagree. Brexit fallout, anti semitism and Vince's inability to inspire cats to sleep. Something new, by election, punish the establishment, first run out for the bouncers. Tigger 40%
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Sean_F said:

Completely shameless, but worth a few quid. So yes, she will.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

There look to be at least six Leave-leaning parties standing in Peterborough, should there be a by-election. Labour should keep the seat comfortably.

Are Labour not part of that six?
    Peterborough is Crosby
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Peterborough is Crosby

This is deluded. The TIGgers are not going to sweep Brexit-y Peterborough or Newport West.

Two lost deposits is much more likely.

GIN1138 said:

Been here before...
    Disagree. Brexit fallout, anti semitism and Vince's inability to inspire cats to sleep. Something new, by election, punish the establishment, first run out for the bouncers. Tigger 40%

Maybe they'll go for a high profile/celeb candidate? :D
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    MaxPB said:

Are Labour not part of that six?
    I am sure that the Labour party will have a Brexit-y candidate for Peterborough.

Peterborough is Crosby

Eh ?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Oh dear.

“Leading” Brexit thinker Pete North is doubling down against AC Grayling, despite having just been fined £20k for libellous accusations of paedophilia.

http://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2019/03/noncegate-revisited.html
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Been here before...

Is it time for Eddie Izzard to finally win something that is voted on?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Oh dear.

“Leading” Brexit thinker Pete North is doubling down against AC Grayling, despite having just been fined £20k for libellous accusations of paedophilia.

What happens if he doesn't cough up the money?

Peterborough is Crosby

This is deluded. The TIGgers are not going to sweep Brexit-y Peterborough or Newport West.

The by election will either be after Brexit or after whatever way we are leaving is decided. It will not be a Brexit by election, although the nature of our departure might cost the blues 10% or so of remain minded blues
    tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

I don’t know. Contempt of court?

Also, there’s this:

As to my legal obligations as per the judgement, I make no promises that I won't take the piss out of AC Grayling ever again, though his total insignificance probably means I have bigger fish to fry. As far as an apology goes, I will never apologise for taking the mick out of public lunatics - especially leaders of political campaigns - but I can at least understand how a man who looks and sounds like Grayling would be sensitive to the inference that he is a paedophile.

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Been here before...

Is it time for Eddie Izzard to finally win something that is voted on?
    Isn't Eddie committed to Jezza? :D

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

As to my legal obligations as per the judgement, I make no promises that I won't take the piss out of AC Grayling ever again, though his total insignificance probably means I have bigger fish to fry. As far as an apology goes, I will never apologise for taking the mick out of public lunatics - especially leaders of political campaigns - but I can at least understand how a man who looks and sounds like Grayling would be sensitive to the inference that he is a paedophile.
    Grayling should try and double up !
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

Grayling will bankrupt him if he doesn't pay. It's not a "fine" it's damages. It's now a debt that he has admitted he can't pay so, if that's true, the logical next step is to petition for his bankruptcy.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

Surely she won't get much; only been in the House five minutes.

Anyone else recall Willie Hamilton, the republican Scottish Labour MP for Fife Central who was replaced as candidate on reaching 70, then realised if he didn't fight an election he'd lose money. So he fought South Hams, a safe Tory seat, now divided between Totnes and West Devon, but because he fought was classed as a defeated MP and picked up some cash.
    To be fair, AIUI, he wasn't by any means a wealthy man.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

Grayling will bankrupt him if he doesn't pay. It's not a "fine" it's damages. It's now a debt that he has admitted he can't pay so, if that's true, the logical next step is to petition for his bankruptcy.
    Would it be up to Grayling to pursue or would the courts chase him for the money anyway?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AC Grayling is a complete tosser, but casually chucking out fake accusations of paedophilia is pretty repulsive. No sympathy.
    tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

He can be made bankrupt, although he may be a man of straw.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

Well that will be one bankruptcy that nobody can say wasn't anything to do with Brexit.

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

Would it be up to Grayling to pursue or would the courts chase him for the money anyway?
    It's up to Grayling.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

Oh dear.

The Musk gambit, not recommended unless one is a multi billionaire.

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

It's up to Grayling. The judgment is effectively a piece of paper proving that North owes him money. There are various enforcement routes to go through before he gets him before the bankruptcy court.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited March 2019
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

It's up to Grayling. The judgment is effectively a piece of paper proving that North owes him money. There are various enforcement routes to go through before he gets him before the bankruptcy court.
    Does Grayling have to pay his legal bills whilst chasing Mr North?

Oh dear.

The Musk gambit, not recommended unless one is a multi billionaire.
    Or you have no assets that are available to creditors.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

Does Grayling has to pay his legal bills whilst chasing Mr North?
    Probably. Depends on the terms of the engagement (a contract) between Grayling and his solicitors.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Oh dear.

Also, there’s this:

Does Grayling have to pay his legal bills whilst chasing Mr North?
    Yes, unless he has very generous solicitors.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    I would hope that all Tory Party members who condone Islamophobia have already fucked off to EDL/UKIP/BNP
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Scott_P said:
    But the Salade au Chlorine is still on....
    Thinking about it, with a judgment under his belt showing that the earlier tweet was defamatory, Grayling could claim that the latest blog post by North is part of a "course of conduct" which causes him to suffer alarm, anxiety and/or distress, thus creating scope for an injunction restraining North under the Protection from Harassment Act, or even a report to the police.
    In news that will shock nobody, Brexiters just keep lying.

https://twitter.com/brexit/status/1102888826857414656?s=21
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

Oh dear.

Why do I know the name Pete North? My recollection is that it's from a couple of years ago and he said something very embarrassing about Brexit.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Islamophobia is a daft term because it conflates two ideas, one of which is abhorrent, and the other of which is essential for free expression in a democracy.

The former is the practice of discriminating against people based on their religion, which is obviously wrong. The latter is allowing intellectual questioning, satire, and so forth about an idea (which happens to be religious).
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056

Scott_P said:
    Funny that you mention that:

https://twitter.com/BpsmithUk/status/1101994462971088896?s=19

The reason that Chlorine chicken is dangerous is not the chlorine, it is the substandard hygiene necessitating chlorine:

https://twitter.com/BpsmithUk/status/1101925348726489088?s=19

Islamophobia is a daft term because it conflates two ideas, one of which is abhorrent, and the other of which is essential for free expression in a democracy.

The former is the practice of discriminating against people based on their religion, which is obviously wrong. The latter is allowing intellectual questioning, satire, and so forth about an idea (which happens to be religious).

So you would disapprove of whipping up untrue fears of millions of Muslims being poised to descend on the UK?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Top excuses that aren't Brexit?

Diesel.
    They wuz going to do it anyway.
    EU-Japan free trade deal.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1102965059611955200
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Could Journalists please ask for evidence to back up clearly fictional stories...
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

Scott_P said:
    And Salade au Chlore sounds enticing.

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

It’s most unusual that it’s happening at the same time. What an eerie coincidence!
    It’s almost as if there’s some kind of government policy to de-industrialise.
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

So you would disapprove of whipping up untrue fears of millions of Muslims being poised to descend on the UK?
    I'd certainly consider them to be ascending rather than descending here, if they're on their way from Erdogan's Turkey.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    My prediction would be that the recall petition will be successful and Labour will lose the seat at the by-election, but it's difficult to forecast which party will win it.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

It’s most unusual that it’s happening at the same time. What an eerie coincidence!
    Didn't I mention a while back that production of the next generation Juke has been delayed 6 months and I cannot find any evidence of commitment that the next version will be built in Sunderland...
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Sean_F said:

She would need to find ten people in the constituency willing to sign her nomination papers. In the circumstances I hope that she finds that difficult.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

Sean_F said:

She would need to find ten people in the constituency willing to sign her nomination papers. In the circumstances I hope that she finds that difficult.
    There must be 10 Russians passing through.....
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited March 2019
    Foxy said:

The reason that Chlorine chicken is dangerous is not the chlorine, it is the substandard hygiene necessitating chlorine:

Why are US Campylobacteriosis rates fractions of European ones?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1198743X15010253

Complaints about US Chicken always focus on Salmonella and not Campylobacter......odd, that....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Sean_F said:

Surely that only applies if she is defeated at a normal election, rather than kicked out of the Commons and her seat vacated for gross misconduct?
    Mr. Divvie, are you suggesting that declining diesel sales and the EU-Japan FTA have had no impact?

You might argue that the UK (perhaps) leaving the EU is the biggest factor, but pretending the others don't exist or are negligible is wearing blinkers.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

Oh dear.

"Brexit thinker"? !! Today's best oxymoron award.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2019
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Funny that you mention that:

twitter.com/BpsmithUk/status/1101994462971088896?s=19

twitter.com/BpsmithUk/status/1101925348726489088?s=19
    The quality of food here in the US, especially “fresh” meat, fish and vegetables in the supermarkets, is appalling. We can afford to buy a lot of our food from farmers’ markets but even that isn’t particularly good.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,768

Peterborough is Crosby

In First Past the Post, they could win on a very modest vote share.

Imagine that the LibDems don't stand, but that there is Labour, Conservative, UKIP and the Brexit Party. This means that even if 70% of the electorate made clear their preference for Brexit, TIG could be elected on 30% of the vote.

Likely?

No. But perfectly possible. I'd want the LibDems to decide not to stand, and 8-1.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

Sean_F said:

Anyone else recall Willie Hamilton, the republican Scottish Labour MP for Fife Central who was replaced as candidate on reaching 70, then realised if he didn't fight an election he'd lose money. So he fought South Hams, a safe Tory seat, now divided between Totnes and West Devon, but because he fought was classed as a defeated MP and picked up some cash.
    If this is the case then the rules are daft. It would seem sensible to give stepping down MPs over 65 or 67 or whatever the same pay off as defeated MPs. OR ... if there is some sort of retirement-payoff then you should not be able to double-dip by claiming that as well as a defeated MP dividend.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    eek said:

Could Journalists please ask for evidence to back up clearly fictional stories...
    It is quite depressing that we have to keep being reminded that the Tories once had a LoTO who is even thicker than Jeremy Corbyn.
    eristdoof said:

Sean_F said:

If this is the case then the rules are daft. It would seem sensible to give stepping down MPs over 65 or 67 or whatever the same pay off as defeated MPs. OR ... if there is some sort of retirement-payoff then you should not be able to double-dip by claiming that as well as a defeated MP dividend.
    Willie Hamilton was a while ago.1987. So the rules may have changed. Otherwise I agree with you.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    At the least it may be closer than anyone might have predicted.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

Climate change.
    The Board wouldn't give me the resources I/we needed.
    Don't blame us - we're Scots.

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

More nothing to do with Brexit news.

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1102921190526590977?s=21
    It warms one's heart when the self-righteous get caught with their trousers down.
    Mr. F, it's a sad day for personkind.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    rcs1000 said:

Peterborough is Crosby

Imagine that the LibDems don't stand, but that there is Labour, Conservative, UKIP and the Brexit Party. This means that even if 70% of the electorate made clear their preference for Brexit, TIG could be elected on 30% of the vote.

Likely?

No. But perfectly possible. I'd want the LibDems to decide not to stand, and 8-1.
    Any by election triggered will occur after Newport West and the Local Elections on 2nd May . TIG will not feature in either of those contests and I suspect that will make it difficult to gain momentum. Already they have largely disappeared from public view and the discussions with the Electoral Commission could well be an indication of panic .
    Sean_F said:

It warms one's heart when the self-righteous get caught with their trousers down.
    I hate it due to which side I'm on at the time.
    Just found a reference; Fiona Onasanya hasn't been an MP for two years so won't get severance pay. Presumably she'll get paid as an MP up to the time the petition is accepted, and that'll be that.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

Oh dear.

‘Thinker’ is perhaps more deserving of your inverted commas.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

To be fair, it’s also possible that he’s just immensely thick when it comes to figures.

justin124 said:

rcs1000 said:

Peterborough is Crosby

Likely?

Any by election triggered will occur after Newport West and the Local Elections on 2nd May . TIG will not feature in either of those contests and I suspect that will make it difficult to gain momentum. Already they have largely disappeared from public view and the discussions with the Electoral Commission could well be an indication of panic .
    Their main function now is to serve as a warning to Corbyn. Don't push us too far or more will join the Tiggers Watson will say.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Peterborough is Crosby

Are you being ironic? The two places don't have much in common with each other demographically. Crosby has a lot of middle-class professionals, Peterborough doesn't, for instance.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

and hows that different to when PSA closed their factory in Coventry and transferred all the production to Slovakia in 2006 ?

Just found a reference; Fiona Onasanya hasn't been an MP for two years so won't get severance pay. Presumably she'll get paid as an MP up to the time the petition is accepted, and that'll be that.

By the time we get to a by-election, though, she'll probably have reached two years.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2019
    Explosive packages found at Heathrow, Waterloo and London City Airport

Counter-terror police are investigating three packages containing explosives found at Heathrow Airport, London City Airport and Waterloo station.

The "small improvised explosive devices" were found in A4 postal bags, the Metropolitan Police said.
    Sean_F said:

By the time we get to a by-election, though, she'll probably have reached two years.
    She'll have to last to 8th, possibly 9th of June, but I think the crucial point is when the seat is declared vacant, ie when the petition is accepted.

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

and hows that different to when PSA closed their factory in Coventry and transferred all the production to Slovakia in 2006 ?
    They’re both examples showing the importance of the EU single market to car manufacturing.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    edited March 2019

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

They’re both examples showing the importance of the EU single market to car manufacturing.
    No theyre simply examples of how Anglo saxon unprotected labour rules are incompatible with the EU. The brits are always first to get shat on when multinats need to make pan European savings.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

Definitely shows the EU weren't working in Britain's interest that's for sure.

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

True. The impact of the Single Market can be benign, or it can be malign.
    The usual gadflies have turned up to get their excuses in.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Diesel.
    Global uncertainty.

Any more?

We'll have to give you that that wasn't anything to do with Brexit. But why do you bring it up?
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Yet another damning letter of resignation from a former close colleague of Corbyn

How can any sensible Labour member not follow suit and walk away from this toxic mess?

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/dear-jeremy-corbyn-richard-horton-resignation-letter-1.481017
    AndyJS said:

Peterborough is Crosby

Are you being ironic? The two places don't have much in common with each other demographically. Crosby has a lot of middle-class professionals, Peterborough doesn't, for instance.
    Crosby has a nice sea front !
  • agingjbagingjb Posts: 76
    The analogy between Crosby and Peterborough, if it is intended to be an analogy between the SDP and the TIG, breaks down because there is no Shirley Williams figure, a supporter of the TIG who is a well known former MP. Or is there?
  • appears to be calling for Lord Falconer to resign at the end of the piece...

now that would be unprecedented.
    agingjb said:

The analogy between Crosby and Peterborough, if it is intended to be an analogy between the SDP and the TIG, breaks down because there is no Shirley Williams figure, a supporter of the TIG who is a well known former MP. Or is there?

Maybe Tony Blair could stand
    agingjb said:

Ed Balls could stand as a TIGger?
    Scott_P said:
    Is there any real sign yet that a meaningful vote will be lost by less than 150?
    Sean_F said:

agingjb said:

Maybe Tony Blair could stand
    I think if Farage and Blair both stood in Peterborough, Farage would get more votes.
This discussion has been closed.