Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting opinion moves sharply against TMay’s chances of gettin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting opinion moves sharply against TMay’s chances of getting her deal through

The past 24 hours on the "when will the Betfair Commons pass" the vote market@betdatapolitics pic.twitter.com/4wzQAggTTw

Read the full story here

Comments

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    First. Unlike TM s latest wheeze.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cox!
  • I wonder how Peter Goldsmith feels today?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Gweeve up now up - Cox thinks he's wrong.

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    PB’s 6,666th thread on Vanilla. Nice.
    This is bizarre legal argument prior to the most important political vote since Iraq at least.
    None of this is relevant in any meaningful sense.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    FPT:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

brendan16 said:

ERG will split. Question is how many diehards?

Why? DUP are against, enough ERGers are against. This is dead. Why vote in favour.

Expect 400+ Nays again. There's more life in John Cleese's Norwegian Blue.
    Because a bad Brexit is better than no Brexit at all?
    No its not. No deal is better than a bad deal and no Brexit is better than a bad Brexit.

But its moot. The deal is dead. It won't win. Once its clear it won't win, why compromise on your principles and back a dead deal futilely given it won't win even if you do?
    Because a loss by 200 would bring down the government, whereas a loss by 60 would not?
    You mean like it brought down the government last time?
    I think you're misreading how febrile the situation is.
    I agree. It is possible - and I'm not necessarily predicting this as a scenario - that more Con MPs could jump ship to TIG if it looked like the ERG were trying to engineer a No Deal, and that they would prefer to ensure an A50 extension through whatever means necessary than be complicit in No Deal.
    I thought HoC would be voting tomorrow on No Deal? And there was no way that vote would be lost i.e. No Deal off the table and extension.

Why do these Tories need to join TIG to do that?
    Yep. If anything a narrow defeat would be seen by May as license to continue her game of chicken, which increases the chance of no deal (especially if we get a short extension, as we'd be unlikely to then get another). That could then force Remain-/soft Brexit-leaning Tories to move against her.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835
    edited March 2019
    I wonder if the extension vote will pass, and then the EU will come back to us saying we will grant an extension only for a new referendum. May comes back, the 2nd referendum vote is shot down and then the deal goes up for one final go against no deal ?
  • SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Shall we just have a civil war? I think that’s the last option left. Take it outside, like men.
    Pulpstar said:

I wonder if the extension vote will pass, and then the EU will come back to us saying we will grant an extension only for a new referendum. May comes back, the 2nd referendum vote is shot down and then the deal goes up for one final go against no deal ?

Isn’t the extension vote tomorrow? One wonders if May will survive the night.
    SeanT said:

Shall we just have a civil war? I think that’s the last option left. Take it outside, like men.

You won't last long Sean.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,749
    Cox is really very good. Not sure it’s going to be enough but the respect from all sides of the House is palpable.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Dodds standing up...
  • Just an FYI.

Mike’s busy tonight and I’m your editor for the evening.

As we all know things are quiet when I’m in the hot seat.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    SeanT said:

That would be unsportsmanlike since the brexit enthusiasts are mostly getting on a bit. Darts?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited March 2019
    Pulpstar said:

But won't MPs have voted against No Deal? And, unlike the people voting against Remain, they'll argue they shouldn't have to vote on No Deal again.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited March 2019

Yep. If anything a narrow defeat would be seen by May as license to continue her game of chicken, which increases the chance of no deal (especially if we get a short extension, as we'd be unlikely to then get another). That could then force Remain-/soft Brexit-leaning Tories to move against her.

So - what threshold is needed to keep trying? 202 ayes last time. Looks like 240-280 this time.

Seems it'd need the very upper end of that. I suppose the govt could talk up 202>280, then the final push is much less of a leap. But even then the last holdouts are going to be near impossible, the DUP and the final 20 foamers.

SeanT said:

That would be unsportsmanlike since the brexit enthusiasts are mostly getting on a bit. Darts?
    Young people tended somewhat to Remain but the young Remainers are all hipster snowflakes with manginas, whereas the Leavers are hardnut council kids from Sunderland who’d give them a total shoeing.

Walkover for Leave.

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

He will. He's in Nepal!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    Geoffrey Cox's deep, booming voice :)
    dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

He will. He's in Nepal!
    Best place from which to direct the battles. ;)

Dodds standing up...

Hoey sitting behind him next to Lady Hermon

Geoffrey Cox's deep, booming voice :)

Class act. Could do with another 649 of him in parly.

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

I rather fancy myself as the Leaver d’Annunzio, flying a biplane over Brighton, hand-dropping petards.
    dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

He will. He's in Nepal!
    Already in exile.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Be careful looking at Wiki poll listing - someone has put up a one year old Survation poll showing a Lab lead of 7%.

(Click on link and you get 2018, not 2019!)
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

But won't MPs have voted against No Deal? And, unlike the people voting against Remain, they'll argue they shouldn't have to vote on No Deal again.
    Hmm, but hasn't a customs union must have been voted on 6 times at least ?
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_P said:
    The die is cast.

It will be no Brexit, and the Tories will fracture and break.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    MikeL said:

Be careful looking at Wiki poll listing - someone has put up a one year old Survation poll showing a Lab lead of 7%.

(Click on link and you get 2018, not 2019!)

The halcyon days :'(
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm, but hasn't a customs union must have been voted on 6 times at least ?
    Yes, remainers are hypocrites. Who knew?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836
    Thumbs down from Sir Bill Cash! He's hanging tough.

Has not spent his entire political life fighting for the UK to leave the EU just in order to vote for a deal that takes the UK out of the EU.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2019
    Spread now back up to 253-263. I don't really see why TBH. We're seeing precious little sign of movement amongst MPs compared with last time.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    We had a few hours optimism that a resolution was in sight. Now the zombie deal is dead again. What a ride.

What a waste of time 3 months has been.
    edited March 2019

Spread now back up to 253-263. I don't really see why TBH. We're seeing precious little sign of movement amongst MPs compared with last time.

Watching Cox perhaps. Was a great session until that nugget Creasey stood up.
    So if Cox is really "marking his own homework", would could do better be written at the bottom?
    dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

He will. He's in Nepal!
    Back in Bangkok, actually. The sun broils, the curries are hot, the ladyboys parade. I love these tropical evenings. The curve of the moon looks like a fallen platinum eyelash, a Halloween pumpkin smile, a shaving of gold from God’s workbench. The skyscrapers glitter, like surgical steel.
    TGOHF said:

Watching Cox perhaps. Was a great session until that nugget Creasey stood up.
    Been a while since I have seen anyone dominating the House quite like this.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,874
    edited March 2019
    If I am caught in the act of committing a crime in front of dozens of witnesses with a smoking gun in my hand I want Geoffrey Cox to defend me.
    Slurrby now up -calls Cox "the attourney".

• AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Two more MPs have changed sides Mark Pritchard and John Lamont. But I agree. 215-220 is my guess right now.:
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Young people tended somewhat to Remain but the young Remainers are all hipster snowflakes with manginas, whereas the Leavers are hardnut council kids from Sunderland who’d give them a total shoeing.

Walkover for Leave.

Although Goodwin divides Leavers into three tribes (the poor, the retireds, wealthy social Conservatives), I think its true that the biggest single indicator of Leaverism is age. Therefore a representative sample of Remainers would beat one of Leavers in a fistfight/knifefight because of their greater age and limited movement. However, if we consider access to wealth, the presence of superwealthy Leavers may imply access to exotic weaponry or mercenaries. In that scenario Leave would win.
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

He will. He's in Nepal!
    Back in Bangkok, actually. The sun broils, the curries are hot, the ladyboys parade. I love these tropical evenings. The curve of the moon looks like a fallen platinum eyelash, a Halloween pumpkin smile, a shaving of gold from God’s workbench. The skyscrapers glitter, like surgical steel.
    Nice.

Hope-betting?

Maybe the markets think MPs are lying cowards who will secretly vote YES. If so, I suspect the markets are wrong, at least as regards the YES-voting. The deal falls.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited March 2019
    Is today the day 'that Brexit died' to misquote American pie?

We know if the Deal fails tonight the Commons will overwhelmingly reject No Deal tomorrow and vote for extension of Article 59 on Thursday, the EU will likely demand Remain v Deal referendum ad its price, the Commons will agree to avoid No Deal and Remain likely would win it now
    HYUFD said:

We know if the Deal fails tonight the Commons will overwhelmingly reject No Deal tomorrow and vote for extension of Article 59 on Thursday, the EU will likely demand Remain v Deal referendum ad its price, the Commons will agree to avoid No Deal and Remain likely would win it now

I’m confused, here on soi Nana, Sukhumvit Road. Are we still sure there will be a No Deal vote tomorrow? Didn’t TMay threaten to pull that or something?
    Indeed, Cox may be a good lawyer but he is no politician
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    OT - I'd be happy with a Referendum now or an alternative softer Brexit deal. I su.spect the die is now cast for a referendum on a united Ireland which would be a just reward for the DUP/ERG. I still think there is also a goodish chance of No Brexit. Indeed the least likely option now is No deal - another just reward for the diehards.
  • I'm glad I don't have these headbangers as clients - their attitude to risk would be hard to score... willing to risk UK economy, jobs, growth, smaller role in the world etc (see Remainers list of risks) but not willing to accept a legal potential scenario whilst still achieving their objective return otherwise.

Does my head in.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Been AFK for most of the day. Mildly regretting not backing the 3.25 on 200-249 MPs backing the deal, but there we are.
    viewcode said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Walkover for Leave.

Although Goodwin divides Leavers into three tribes (the poor, the retireds, wealthy social Conservatives), I think its true that the biggest single indicator of Leaverism is age. Therefore a representative sample of Remainers would beat one of Leavers in a fistfight/knifefight because of their greater age and limited movement. However, if we consider access to wealth, the presence of superwealthy Leavers may imply access to exotic weaponry or mercenaries. In that scenario Leave would win.
    However. Were assymetric warfare to occur, as probably likely, 2 good places for guerrillas to hold out would be big cities and the Highlands. Both Remain redoubts...
    ...I can't believe we are discussing this semi-seriously....

Two more MPs have changed sides Mark Pritchard and John Lamont. But I agree. 215-220 is my guess right now.:
    I've sold the Ayes at 248 for £3 a vote.
  • tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352
    HYUFD said:

Agree - this is how Blair probably advised Macron to play it too....
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

He will. He's in Nepal!
    Platinum, gold, steel, shavings, surgical steel. Everything is bright, shiny and glittering. Pause. You're on MDMA again, aren't you... :)

Scott_P said:
    The die is cast.

Yes. They had the chance to Brexit and dont want it.

When will the official break happen? A couple months into no deal or when the commons approves a referendum and we remain?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

We had a few hours optimism that a resolution was in sight. Now the zombie deal is dead again. What a ride.

What a waste of time 3 months has been.

15 months. This was set in stone in December 2018.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Walkover for Leave.

Except that, like the Confederacy, their economy will collapse.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,874
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Walkover for Leave.

I am not so sure. There’s the Glasgow Neds and the Provos to throw in for Remain.
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Walkover for Leave.

However. Were assymetric warfare to occur, as probably likely, 2 good places for guerrillas to hold out would be big cities and the Highlands. Both Remain redoubts...
    Convenient for the Leave generals that remainers are concentrated in a few areas.... :p
    felix said:

OT - I'd be happy with a Referendum now or an alternative softer Brexit deal. I su.spect the die is now cast for a referendum on a united Ireland which would be a just reward for the DUP/ERG. I still think there is also a goodish chance of No Brexit. Indeed the least likely option now is No deal - another just reward for the diehards.

If there is no Brexit or a very soft Brexit why on earth would a united Ireland be more likely? We’d be staying in the Single Market and CU, so there would be no hard border. And after the Brexit experience, I don’t think anyone in these isles will be in the mood for another wrenching referendum anytime soon. The same, I think, applies in Scotland.

No Deal IS a direct threat to the Union, though the chaos and turmoil would make any vote quite hard to call.
    Scott_P said:
    How quick from potential triumph to political end. I hope she's packed her thi gs ready to move out.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    edited March 2019

Don't jinx it; I'm having huge fun making small amounts of money every time it bounces around. Have now cashed out twice at one point away from local extrema.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

HYUFD said:

Agree - this is how Blair probably advised Macron to play it too....
    https://twitter.com/RSAMatthew/status/1105457278633865216
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    They are going to field candidates? Brave.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    SeanT said:

My condolences. Bangkok is a sprawling, grimy, polluted shithole, though better than Jakarta or Manila. Head to the islands or Ayyuthaya instead. Much nicer.
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    How quick from potential triumph to political end. I hope she's packed her thi gs ready to move out.
    No, it seems she plans to cling on:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1105459390956662784
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    HYUFD said:

I voted remain and was very firmly of the opinion that the referendum result should be implemented. But given what an almighty mess the Brexiteers have made of everything I’m tempted to say sod it, let’s have a second vote now. They’ve had their chance.
  • Boeing have 400 737 - 8 in service and 5000 on order

They have a very serious problem but I for one would not fly on one especially with my grand children

Boeing 737 banned from UK airspace.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2019

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    No, it seems she plans to cling on:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1105459390956662784
    LOL, as much as I know you agree with Mr Hodges' opinions, you don't really take him seriously as an "inside source", do you? :D
    Fishing said:

SeanT said:

My condolences. Bangkok is a sprawling, grimy, polluted shithole, though better than Jakarta or Manila. Head to the islands or Ayyuthaya instead. Much nicer.
    Those adjectives probably only apply when you are sober. :lol:
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    kinabalu said:

Thumbs down from Sir Bill Cash! He's hanging tough.

Has not spent his entire political life fighting for the UK to leave the EU just in order to vote for a deal that takes the UK out of the EU.

A bit like Dobby in Harry Potter who bargained long and hard against actually being paid by Dumbledore.

Still, look at it this way. If Brexit is stopped, only a minority of people like me will be unhappy. Remainers will obviously be happy, and the ERG will be ecstatic.

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Walkover for Leave.

I am not so sure. There’s the Glasgow Neds and the Provos to throw in for Remain.
    Scouse battalion as well, la.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Scott_P said:
    The die is cast.

I guess we’re going to find out whether May puts preserving the Conservative Party first or preserving the Union.
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    They are going to field candidates? Brave.
    I suspect a deliberate leak/rumour from No.10 in order to try and pull in a few more votes. If there are to be EU votes, then means extension past June.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    RobD said:

PB’s 6,666th thread on Vanilla. Nice.

It's been that for quite some time.
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Walkover for Leave.

Leave is bankrolled by the Russians. Or had you forgotten? :D
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544
    Cox confirming for the headbangers that it would be perfectly possible for a headbanger government to resile from the treaty.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    If I recall correctly, the 2014 European elections were the first national elections since 18something when the Tories came third.

They would be doing extremely well to reach that level if we send MEPs to the next European Parliament.
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Walkover for Leave.

Germany (Heckler and Koch), Italy (Berreta) and Austria (Glock) are manufacturers of firearms. In a no-deal brexit, lorries will be waved thru customs unchecked. How many sub machine guns or semi-automatics would you like...? :)
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

He will. He's in Nepal!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgc_LRjlbTU
    rpjs said:

Scott_P said:
    The die is cast.

I guess we’re going to find out whether May puts preserving the Conservative Party first or preserving the Union.
    May will put the Union first, in any case there is a majority in the Commons for extension and BINO or EUref2 over No Deal so she has little choice, plus May knows she will not fight another election, Boris can do that, let him win back Leavers
  • dixiedean said:

Boeing 737 banned from UK airspace.

Not all 737 just the Max version
    Seriously why cant they just vote now?

Boeing have 400 737 - 8 in service and 5000 on order

They have a very serious problem but I for one would not fly on one especially with my grand children

Where are those 400 located / owned ?
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

I’m confused, here on soi Nana, Sukhumvit Road. Are we still sure there will be a No Deal vote tomorrow? Didn’t TMay threaten to pull that or something?
    Still on I believe
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Walkover for Leave.

Leave is bankrolled by the Russians. Or had you forgotten? :D
    Reading 'Rule Britannia' at moment. Some very interesting facts. Only 1/3 of under 25s voted in the referendum. Most sat it out.
    viewcode said:

Germany (Heckler and Koch), Italy (Berreta) and Austria (Glock) are manufacturers of firearms. In a no-deal brexit, lorries will be waved thru customs unchecked. How many sub machine guns or semi-automatics would you like...? :)

What do we do at the moment ?
    kle4 said:

Seriously why cant they just vote now?

Yep. More talking is superfluous and repetitious.
    Charles Walker MP calling for a GE if the vote goes down.
This discussion has been closed.