Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the latest from PB/Polling Matters the podcaster try to ans

Comments

• Options

Foxy said:

stodge said:

I've just thought of something and again perhaps the knowledgeable on here will help.

As I understand it, IF we pass the WA, we will still effectively leave on 22/5 - the date prevents us having to get involved in the EU parliamentary elections - but the Transition period, backstop and all the rest of it kick in so we are in effect still members (though without any say) until 31/12/20 or whenever.

If we don't pass the WA and we don't revoke, we leave without a Deal on 12/4 - that's it. We would then have to move forward with trade negotiations round the world.

If we chose to Revoke we would have to do so before 12/4 because we would then still be full members and would legally have to participate in the EU parliamentary elections. Revocation simply ends the cancellation of this A50 process and doesn't stop us re-instigating A50 in the summer or autumn and re-setting the clock.

Have I got this and would I be right in thinking second votes, GE, alternative options and the like are all just smoke and mirrors?

No because a further option is to agree an alternative plan (#peoplesvote/GE/completely different objectives) by 12 April, pass a Euro elections enabling bill, and for the EU to arrange a longer extension. More complex, but viable.
    I agree and thank you for acknowledging the enabling bill.

Nothing is impossible but in our HOC getting the enabling bill through all it stages and passing into law by the 12th April would require a single attitude of purpose by mps that is not there, and would be fought tooth and nail by ERG and others
    Does an enabling bill need to pass by the 12th or do we just need to commit to holding the elections by the 12th?
    Has to be in law by the 12th April as the EU election campaigns start then

Not negotiable at all - in law or no extension
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

There was someone who backed Lidington as next PM at nearly 470/1 back in December 2017.

The swine.

Does it count if he's only a temporary leader?
    I would imagine they would have to be elected by the membership to count as non-temporary place-holders. Good luck getting Lidington past the members.....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Foxy said:

stodge said:

I've just thought of something and again perhaps the knowledgeable on here will help.

As I understand it, IF we pass the WA, we will still effectively leave on 22/5 - the date prevents us having to get involved in the EU parliamentary elections - but the Transition period, backstop and all the rest of it kick in so we are in effect still members (though without any say) until 31/12/20 or whenever.

If we don't pass the WA and we don't revoke, we leave without a Deal on 12/4 - that's it. We would then have to move forward with trade negotiations round the world.

If we chose to Revoke we would have to do so before 12/4 because we would then still be full members and would legally have to participate in the EU parliamentary elections. Revocation simply ends the cancellation of this A50 process and doesn't stop us re-instigating A50 in the summer or autumn and re-setting the clock.

Have I got this and would I be right in thinking second votes, GE, alternative options and the like are all just smoke and mirrors?

No because a further option is to agree an alternative plan (#peoplesvote/GE/completely different objectives) by 12 April, pass a Euro elections enabling bill, and for the EU to arrange a longer extension. More complex, but viable.

Nothing is impossible but in our HOC getting the enabling bill through all it stages and passing into law by the 12th April would require a single attitude of purpose by mps that is not there, and would be fought tooth and nail by ERG and others
    Yes, the need for an enabling bill for the Euro elections is why the date is April 12th. It is a prerequesite for a longer extension. If MV3 fails then voting against a Euro elections bill means voting for No Deal.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

AndyJS said:

O/T

"Opioids crisis
    Sackler family: 500 cities, counties and tribes sue owners of Oxycontin maker

Vast lawsuit accuses family of helping to create ‘worst drug crisis in American history’"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/21/sackler-family-500-cities-counties-and-tribes-sue-oxycontin-maker

I think the Sackler are trashed. Most of my US friends (even apolitical ones) are outraged by their sh1tty behaviour pushing opioids.

The Universities and Museums and Galleries are disowning their money as too dirty -- rightly too.
    I’m always conflicted about that

I don’t think with a situation like this the donations help their reputation (and in any event that wasn’t Maurice’s intention).

So why not take the money and use it for good?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited March 2019

There was someone who backed Lidington as next PM at nearly 470/1 back in December 2017.

The swine.

I would imagine they would have to be elected by the membership to count as non-temporary place-holders. Good luck getting Lidington past the members.....
    He won't be Tory leader. Or he will be, but temporary leader. But he'll definitely be PM.
  • Options

The swine.

I got him at 1000 on that market in April 2018.
    Alright alright no one likes a show off.

Would be the biggest odds winner on PB I think.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited March 2019

It seems clear that May's deal won't pass unless there's a massive shift over the next few days, and also clear that Cooper/Boles/Benn will pass, giving us indicative votes which will probably give majorities to "customs union" and "referendum", both of which have been ruled out by May up to now.

May then has three choices. She's spent three years refusing to shift her red lines,but she can pick one of the options with majority support and try to run with it. Her recent statements seem to indicate a possible willingness to do that, backing off from "as PM I will not...". She can resign. I don't think anything we've seen of her suggests she'll willingly give up. Or she can defy Parliament and say she'll let no deal happen.

In case 3, we then get an instant Labour VONC. Tory rebels then have to consider whether they will break party unity on that (=reselection death) or accept that May can ignore Parliament (=democracy death).

On past performance what she'll do is stall until it's too late to pass legislation enabling the Euros then try the MV again. This makes it hard to bring her down with a VONC because there's no definitive point at which the rebels know they need to jump, and once Corbyn tables it she can lie to them to keep them on board.

PS. The "=democracy death" bit reads with more melodrama than you probably intended...
  • Options

The swine.

I'm only on for a tenner at 100-1 :(
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    I do hope some in the Cabinet are reading it. May is an obstacle now and needs to go. We cannot afford to waste the 3 weeks we have left.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Does an enabling bill need to pass by the 12th or do we just need to commit to holding the elections by the 12th?

I get that but the EU communique makes no reference to laws, simply the UK's "intention" not to hold elections at the moment. Does the law actually need changing? A lot of the UK's Brexit law changes haven't actually been enacted yet and simply occur on "exit day" so if the law to hold elections hasn't been repealed yet then a new one doesn't need passing we just need to get on with it.
  • Options

The swine.

Surely an uncontested coronation by MPs would meet the criteria. Not a cat in hells chance of that though!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

_Anazina_ said:

Slackbladder

If you love Indian restaurants but loathe Chinese restaurant, and your wife loves Chinese restaurants but loathes Indian restaurants, insisting on one Asian cuisine or the other is unlikely to lead to enjoyable nights out.

Better to compromise on French or Italian food, which is neither partner’s first choice. More compromise, happier couple, healthier sex life.

How about Fusion?
    With a waiter/waitress to explain how to eat it.
    Intrusive service is the think I dislike above everything else
  • Options

Mr. Eagles/Mr. Meeks, did you tip it?

Not that I'd be annoyed to lose the bragging rights to longest winning tip. I wouldn't mind at all.

I tipped Lidington at 100/1 back in December 2017.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/31/three-tips-on-who-might-be-theresa-mays-successor/
  • Options

The swine.

You don't need to be a party leader to be PM.

Churchill was PM for several months despite not being Tory party leader.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

"Opioids crisis

Vast lawsuit accuses family of helping to create ‘worst drug crisis in American history’"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/21/sackler-family-500-cities-counties-and-tribes-sue-oxycontin-maker

I think the Sackler are trashed. Most of my US friends (even apolitical ones) are outraged by their sh1tty behaviour pushing opioids.

The Universities and Museums and Galleries are disowning their money as too dirty -- rightly too.

I don’t think with a situation like this the donations help their reputation (and in any event that wasn’t Maurice’s intention).

I am merely reporting the revulsion that fairly apolitical US friends of mine expressed to me about a year ago.

I think the strength of feeling on this in the US is stronger than here.
  • Options

The swine.

LCFC at 3000/1 £1e/w :)
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Foxy said:

The swine.

Surely an uncontested coronation by MPs would meet the criteria. Not a cat in hells chance of that though!
    they might be forced to. If May resigns as PM, then the tory party have a choice. Have a 'new' tory PM, which would have to be uncontested (or a very very quick election), or Lizzie sends for Jezza.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I do hope some in the Cabinet are reading it. May is an obstacle now and needs to go. We cannot afford to waste the 3 weeks we have left.
    Moreover, the EU summit shows that the EU has lost all confidence in May. She's had that up till now. Something has changed.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Yes, the need for an enabling bill for the Euro elections is why the date is April 12th. It is a prerequesite for a longer extension. If MV3 fails then voting against a Euro elections bill means voting for No Deal.
    I am so pleased we are on the same page Foxy

It has been a battle over the last few days and this morning especially, to explain the 12th April was selected by the EU as it is the last date before the campaign for the EU elections and we have to take part if we want an extension of any kind

It is upto the HOC, but I am truly dismayed at how journalists, media and politicians are not explaining this in detail, as it was one of the most important issues coming from the EU
  • Options

The swine.

you don't but you do need to have support of the house, which would effectively be party leader (at least for a period of time).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

I’ve already told you. Norway.

And you think continued FoM respects the result of the referendum?

Or just the bits of the result you like?
    Do you think those Leave voters bothered about FoM are happy with the fact that non-EU immigration has gone up since the referendum and EU migration is down. Are they whooping with delight at this and at the prospect of even more migrants coming in from the far corners of the world, the sorts of migrants that the Leave campaigns were so intent on putting on their posters?
    If Leavers don’t want immigration they have the ability to vote for a government that will actually (as opposed to pretend to) reduce it

That option isn’t available while we are members of the EU

Democratic control of our politicians is important
  • Options

It seems clear that May's deal won't pass unless there's a massive shift over the next few days, and also clear that Cooper/Boles/Benn will pass, giving us indicative votes which will probably give majorities to "customs union" and "referendum", both of which have been ruled out by May up to now.

May then has three choices. She's spent three years refusing to shift her red lines,but she can pick one of the options with majority support and try to run with it. Her recent statements seem to indicate a possible willingness to do that, backing off from "as PM I will not...". She can resign. I don't think anything we've seen of her suggests she'll willingly give up. Or she can defy Parliament and say she'll let no deal happen.

In case 3, we then get an instant Labour VONC. Tory rebels then have to consider whether they will break party unity on that (=reselection death) or accept that May can ignore Parliament (=democracy death).

On past performance what she'll do is stall until it's too late to pass legislation enabling the Euros then try the MV again. This makes it hard to bring her down with a VONC because there's no definitive point at which the rebels know they need to jump, and once Corbyn tables it she can lie to them to keep them on board.

PS. The "=democracy death" bit reads with more melodrama than you probably intended...
    She will waste time. So she needs to go. ASAP. This, more than indicative votes, is what is needed now. A new PM can set a new strategy and get some goodwill from the EU. If the Tories had any sense they would install Ken Clarke - so that he can perform one last job for his party and the nation - and buy us the time needed to set an alternative course which commands support.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,040
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

"Opioids crisis

What level or type of behaviour from a possible donor do you think should stop a recipient from accepting their money?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

It has been a battle over the last few days and this morning especially, to explain the 12th April was selected by the EU as it is the last date before the campaign for the EU elections and we have to take part if we want an extension of any kind

It is upto the HOC, but I am truly dismayed at how journalists, media and politicians are not explaining this in detail, as it was one of the most important issues coming from the EU
    But according to Wiki at least the repeal of the European Elections Act hasn't been enacted yet. Therefore if we wish to hold elections we can presumably do so under the old act that is still legally current legislation. We just need to commit to do so as the law is still on the books.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

It's ridiculous to say anyone could have done better: Brexit is a mess, and would have been a mess whoever was in charge of negotiations. The sides are too far apart for any meaningful compromise to be easily reached.

Give would have faced just as many problems as May; they might have been different problems, but problems nonetheless.

And the reason the sides are so far apart? The leave campaigns who lied about Brexit, and promised everything to everyone.

It'd be good for leavers to take some responsibility instead of pathetically moaning: "If my person was in charge it would have been different!"

Norway is a meaningful compromise, which could have been, and might just still be reached.

It would mean pissing off most people, but to a lesser extent overall than any other likely solution.

Norway does everything except deliver on the mandate obtained, which was an anti-immigration platform.
    Norway is damage limitation. It is better than any other form of Brexit, but it doesn't offer any advantages to anyone over the status quo. Which is why noone much has gone for it.
    Other than, of course, being outside the CAP.

Oh, and the CFP.

Apart from that, then... oh, what about being outside the Justice Pillar? And the Home Affairs and the Foreign Affairs Pillars? Those are advantages, as well, I'd guess.

The permanent and unconditional exemption from ever-closer-union might be seen as an advantage by some.

And, of course, a reduction in fees from £350 million per week to £100 million per week or so. That's a benefit, definitely.

Being outside the majority of the EU acquis of law is definitely a plus on the Brexit side, when you look at it.

Whilst retaining the benefits of the Single Market and access to whatever EU institutions we desire and being involved in the initial shaping of all Single Market legislation.

On reflection, I can see some advantages.
  • Options

Foxy said:

stodge said:

I get that but the EU communique makes no reference to laws, simply the UK's "intention" not to hold elections at the moment. Does the law actually need changing? A lot of the UK's Brexit law changes haven't actually been enacted yet and simply occur on "exit day" so if the law to hold elections hasn't been repealed yet then a new one doesn't need passing we just need to get on with it.
    Yes - the law needs an enabling bill passed and with royal assent by the 12th April
  • Options

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Yes - the law needs an enabling bill passed and with royal assent by the 12th April
    Why if the old law is still legislation?
  • Options

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

It's ridiculous to say anyone could have done better: Brexit is a mess, and would have been a mess whoever was in charge of negotiations. The sides are too far apart for any meaningful compromise to be easily reached.

Give would have faced just as many problems as May; they might have been different problems, but problems nonetheless.

And the reason the sides are so far apart? The leave campaigns who lied about Brexit, and promised everything to everyone.

It'd be good for leavers to take some responsibility instead of pathetically moaning: "If my person was in charge it would have been different!"

Norway is a meaningful compromise, which could have been, and might just still be reached.

It would mean pissing off most people, but to a lesser extent overall than any other likely solution.

Norway does everything except deliver on the mandate obtained, which was an anti-immigration platform.
    Norway is damage limitation. It is better than any other form of Brexit, but it doesn't offer any advantages to anyone over the status quo. Which is why noone much has gone for it.

Oh, and the CFP.

Apart from that, then... oh, what about being outside the Justice Pillar? And the Home Affairs and the Foreign Affairs Pillars? Those are advantages, as well, I'd guess.

The permanent and unconditional exemption from ever-closer-union might be seen as an advantage by some.

And, of course, a reduction in fees from £350 million per week to £100 million per week or so. That's a benefit, definitely.

Being outside the majority of the EU acquis of law is definitely a plus on the Brexit side, when you look at it.

Whilst retaining the benefits of the Single Market and access to whatever EU institutions we desire and being involved in the initial shaping of all Single Market legislation.

What is the mechanism for leaving "Norway"?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Do you think those Leave voters bothered about FoM are happy with the fact that non-EU immigration has gone up since the referendum and EU migration is down. Are they whooping with delight at this and at the prospect of even more migrants coming in from the far corners of the world, the sorts of migrants that the Leave campaigns were so intent on putting on their posters?
    If Leavers don’t want immigration they have the ability to vote for a government that will actually (as opposed to pretend to) reduce it

Reducing non-EU immigration has always been available to us while in the EU. Altering our welfare system and tax credit system has always been available to us while in the EU. FoM would never have become the issue it has had either of these steps been taken seriously. Making the EU the scapegoat for problems which were always in our control has been a long-standing and bad habit of our politicians.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Foxy said:

The swine.

they might be forced to. If May resigns as PM, then the tory party have a choice. Have a 'new' tory PM, which would have to be uncontested (or a very very quick election), or Lizzie sends for Jezza.
    No the cabinet agree an interim PM until leadership is sorted. She only sends for Corbyn if VONC and he can command confidence which he can't unless Tories agree to abstain
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Eagles, that'd be a fantastic tip to come off.

Not least because I'd retain my title :D
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

But according to Wiki at least the repeal of the European Elections Act hasn't been enacted yet. Therefore if we wish to hold elections we can presumably do so under the old act that is still legally current legislation. We just need to commit to do so as the law is still on the books.
    Nope - it has to be an enabling act
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Catching up on last night's TW, I see Portillo thinks May's deal and no deal are both off the table and that we wont revoke; Parliament will probably take control and come up with a solution unacceptable to May, hence she resigns in the next few weeks and is replaced by an interim leader, probably Lidlington, who goes for a long extension, during which mayhem breaks out in the Tory party.

First time for a while that I agree with him on how things will play out.

Can someone explain how "parliament can take control" while May is still prime minister?

I cannot see how "parliament" can propose something to the EU without it being presented by the government, because the european council consists of 28 govenments.

May can resign and then a UK government with different personnell can take control, but as we have seen in the last month, what parliament wants puts pressure on the government, but cannot not compell it to do something it doesent want to.

This is a genuine question, as lots of people are suggesting it as a possibility but I cannot imagine how it occurs in practice
    Letwin passes Monday, opening Wednesday for indicative votes and hopefully thereafter a preferred option emerges. If a majority supported option emerges from this process the government can hardly (well could, but won't, in the circumstances) refuse to run with it, but May can, so she resigns. Lidlington takes over, asks and gets a nine month extension from the EU.

Edit/ as Portillo says, mayhem breaks out in the Tory party, which presumably has a leadership contest thereafter, and there is a big question about viable government. Hence a possible GE or political realignment. But that's for after.
    Thanks for the great answer. I find it a scandal that government refused to "run with" parliament voting to prohibit no deal (May has explicitly said it no deal is still the alternative to May's deal) but will have to "run with" parliament's proposals next week.

Unless May somehow manages to find a way to pass MV3 her successor will have no difficulty in blaming all the present problems on May.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Reducing non-EU immigration has always been available to us while in the EU. Altering our welfare system and tax credit system has always been available to us while in the EU. FoM would never have become the issue it has had either of these steps been taken seriously. Making the EU the scapegoat for problems which were always in our control has been a long-standing and bad habit of our politicians.
    Why should we need to reduce non-EU immigration any more? We're already very strict on non-EU migration and non=EU represents 93% of the globe yet typically only about half of net migration. While EU represents 7% of the globe and roughly about the other half net.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The swine.

LCFC at 3000/1 £1e/w :)
    Scotland best price 500/1 to win the Euros, and that's a pisspoor price :(
  • Options

felix said:

It is now time for May to choose. She needs to ditch the ERG and accept Benn's offer to vote for her deal with a referendum. It is the only way she can act in the national interest.

That has gone with yesterdays 12th April deadline. No referendum now possible
    Nah, they said they'd consider a longer extension for a "plan B". That includes a referendum
    I do not want to be argumentative but many posters on here do not understand the EU position on this

I have for days said that without UK participation in the EU elections in May those elections become void in EU law if we are still a member. It is precisely for this reason the EU agreed the date of the 12th April for us to have passed the enabling legislation to take part, and that is not going to happen

Referendum and GE are out of the equation

TM deal - amended deal - no deal - revoke

Nothing else
    Well obviously if you take it as a given that parliament won't pass the legislation, then it's not an option. You can say that for anything except no deal. When I say something is an option I mean it is available for parliament to choose, not that they will. I think that's what most other people mean too.

Parliament can’t instruct the executive to act

They can ask and, if defied, sack the executive

You are looking to upend the constitutional settlement
  • Options

Nope - it has to be an enabling act

Why if the old act is still current legislation?
  • Options

Foxy said:

stodge said:

Why if the old law is still legislation?
    No idea - but the enabling act is needed as also confirmed by Foxy this morning
  • Options
    Would you put £200m into Debenhams?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47666249
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Will he get paired off with Onasunya ?
  • Options

Foxy said:

The swine.

No the cabinet agree an interim PM until leadership is sorted. She only sends for Corbyn if VONC and he can command confidence which he can't unless Tories agree to abstain
    I'm not sure it's as simple as that. The backbenchers would have a very dim view of a new PM (temp or not) being decided that way without their input, espceially if that person wasn't deemed to be valid by say the ERG.

The only way is a MP wide very quick election, in a matter of a day without giving the membership a vote, which is also soemthing which might not be accepted. I can;t see the MPs playing ball here.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

No idea - but the enabling act is needed as also confirmed by Foxy this morning

Foxy can tell us if s/he meant to confirm that or if s/he was just assuming you were right that one was needed, as I was.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    edited March 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

Mr. Anazina, perhaps that every country to the east of Cyprus (excepting, of course, any African nations, I'd guess Madagascar might otherwise fit the bill) is in Asia.

So Norway is in Asia? You should be Grayling's Chief of Staff.

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Oh, and the CFP.

There's a ferry direct to Newcastle.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Making the EU the scapegoat for problems which were always in our control has been a long-standing and bad habit of our politicians.
    As been woefully exposed over the last few months.

Perhaps that is a worthwhile reason to LEAVE - they can shape up or we can ship 'em out.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that'd be a fantastic tip to come off.

Not least because I'd retain my title :D

As Foxy has pointed out he won a 3000/1 EW winner.

So really is his crown.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited March 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

You’ve previously written, when I’ve made that point, why should Britain be forced to change its welfare system to fit with EU freedom of movement.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    To be fair the only person i can see bridging the divide between leavers and remainers in the party and somehow bringing a softer Brexit position is Gove.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Foxy said:

The swine.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. The backbenchers would have a very dim view of a new PM (temp or not) being decided that way without their input, espceially if that person wasn't deemed to be valid by say the ERG.

The only way is a MP wide very quick election, in a matter of a day without giving the membership a vote, which is also soemthing which might not be accepted. I can;t see the MPs playing ball here.
    That's the convention though. Continuity of government. There has to be a PM or Lizzie has yo exercise the royal prerogative. The executive ard not the party. Sure mps could cut up about it and no confidence them but that would be the end of the Tory party and a GE would follow unless jezza could command confidence
  • Options
    Touchy Thomson on the rehabilitation trail.

https://twitter.com/camusson/status/1109025790119895040
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Charles said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

"Opioids crisis

I don’t think with a situation like this the donations help their reputation (and in any event that wasn’t Mortiner’s intention).

I am merely reporting the revulsion that fairly apolitical US friends of mine expressed to me about a year ago.

I think the strength of feeling on this in the US is stronger than here.
    The problem is the donations have been so significant - the Sackler Gallery or the Sackler Library for example - that teal damage would be done.

It’s the same with the campaign against BP or BoAS art funding. Without that money there would be far fewer major exhibitions or conservation work.

Philanthropy shouldn’t be politicised
  • Options
    Great anecdote on the news this morning - Macron before May's speech to the EC, estimated chances of MV3 passing at 10%, post speech revised it to 5%.

#charismatic
  • Options

The market capitalisation at the current share price is £24 million so why on earth would anyone lend them £200 million. It's not exactly an up and coming start up either.
    Why would anyone lend them the money ?!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    _Anazina_ said:

Dura_Ace said:

Mr. Anazina, perhaps that every country to the east of Cyprus (excepting, of course, any African nations, I'd guess Madagascar might otherwise fit the bill) is in Asia.

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Oh, and the CFP.

LOL. Sadly no more, and it was to < pedant > North Shields< /pedant >
  • Options

Great anecdote on the news this morning - Macron before May's speech to the EC, estimated chances of MV3 passing at 10%, post speech revised it to 5%.

#charismatic

Slightly higher than his chances of reelection
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Why should we need to reduce non-EU immigration any more? We're already very strict on non-EU migration and non=EU represents 93% of the globe yet typically only about half of net migration. While EU represents 7% of the globe and roughly about the other half net.
    If people want to reduce immigration then they reduce that which they are able to control.

You are assuming that migration should be shared equally around the globe as if all peoples are fungible and that there are not issues about where people come from which might be relevant to a country's decision on migration. Let's be blunt: do you think that a government should be indifferent as to whether all its migration comes from Holland or Saudi Arabia?

The reasoning behind FoM is that the EU and the countries within it form a largely cohesive whole with shared values, history, family ties etc and that therefore free movement within that whole is a good thing. That does not necessarily apply in the same way in relation to migration from very far away places.

Anyway need to go. I was just responding to @Charles's comment that we weren't able to control migration while in the EU. That only applied to part of the migration Britain has seen and FoM seems, IMO, to have been made a scapegoat for the migration which some Leave voters are really concerned about.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,054

Touchy Thomson on the rehabilitation trail.

https://twitter.com/camusson/status/1109025790119895040

Michael Gove has stolen Boris Johnson’s pet.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Pulpstar said:

The market capitalisation at the current share price is £24 million so why on earth would anyone lend them £200 million. It's not exactly an up and coming start up either.
    To launder it?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Great anecdote on the news this morning - Macron before May's speech to the EC, estimated chances of MV3 passing at 10%, post speech revised it to 5%...

Probably correct, too.

A very good article in the Guardian is equally damning:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/22/eu-mps-theresa-may-finished-brexit
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,262

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Making the EU the scapegoat for problems which were always in our control has been a long-standing and bad habit of our politicians.
    As been woefully exposed over the last few months.

Perhaps that is a worthwhile reason to LEAVE - they can shape up or we can ship 'em out.
    But they will still be able to blame the EU, our powerful neighbour, and still will
  • Options
  • Options

The swine.

In Germany it is common that the party leader is not the "head" of the parliamentary party. Before the last Bundestag election Shulz was the SPD "Spitzenkandidat" (proposed Chancellor) but he was not at the time in Parliament. Horst Seehofer (CSU) stood down from the Bundestag when he becameMinisterpresident of Bavaria but has still had a very high profile in Merkels Government.

Oh and I almost forgot... The current German Chancellor is no longer leader of her CDU party, it is now Kramp-Karrenbauer.
  • Options

#charismatic

Slightly higher than his chances of reelection
    Actually, under the French two round system, I think Macron very likely to win again.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The swine.

Why would the membership need to be involved in selecting a temporary PM ?
    There's no need for that individual to be leader of the party - but an obvious need to be confirmed by MPs.
  • Options
    matt said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

You’ve previously written, when I’ve made that point, why should Britain be forced to change its welfare system to fit with EU freedom of movement.
    I know. It's one of the consequences of being in the EU. That it flattens out - and is intended to flatten out - differences like this. It's one reason why I can understand - and to some extent - share those with concerns about whether Britain fits happily within the EU. But @Charles was making an incorrect point about us not having control and I was simply saying that we did have some control, albeit not total control. We had to weigh up the costs and benefits.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

The swine.

In Germany it is common that the party leader is not the "head" of the parliamentary party. Before the last Bundestag election Shulz was the SPD "Spitzenkandidat" (proposed Chancellor) but he was not at the time in Parliament. Horst Seehofer (CSU) stood down from the Bundestag when he becameMinisterpresident of Bavaria but has still had a very high profile in Merkels Government.

Oh and I almost forgot... The current German Chancellor is no longer leader of her CDU party, it is now Kramp-Karrenbauer.
    And of course Major was not party leader during the 95 quit and restand but was PM
  • Options

Charles said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

"Opioids crisis

What level or type of behaviour from a possible donor do you think should stop a recipient from accepting their money?
    Fundamentally if the money isn’t legitimately their’s to give

In the case of the Sacklers for example, they pushed the envelope very aggressively in marketing but not more than other forms have done in different areas. AstraZeneca, for example, paid a $1bn fine for it (oncology I think)

Clearly opioid abuse is particularly damaging but that’s not Purdue’s fault - it’s the responsibility of the pill factories.

They should be fined heavily and forced to disgorge, plus be enjoined and probably have a DPA imposed. But the money left after all the above is itself is legitimate and can be given away
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

If people want to reduce immigration then they reduce that which they are able to control.

You are assuming that migration should be shared equally around the globe as if all peoples are fungible and that there are not issues about where people come from which might be relevant to a country's decision on migration. Let's be blunt: do you think that a government should be indifferent as to whether all its migration comes from Holland or Saudi Arabia?

The reasoning behind FoM is that the EU and the countries within it form a largely cohesive whole with shared values, history, family ties etc and that therefore free movement within that whole is a good thing. That does not necessarily apply in the same way in relation to migration from very far away places.
    Or they take control of that which they can't control currently.

I'm struggling to see what shared values, history, family ties etc we share with Romania but not Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, South Africa or India.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Sure. But why should we have to give up our non contributory welfare system?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Eagles, but he didn't tip it at those odds :)
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    _Anazina_ said:

Dura_Ace said:

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Oh, and the CFP.

Not for years there hasn’t!
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

Catching up on last night's TW, I see Portillo thinks May's deal and no deal are both off the table and that we wont revoke; Parliament will probably take control and come up with a solution unacceptable to May, hence she resigns in the next few weeks and is replaced by an interim leader, probably Lidlington, who goes for a long extension, during which mayhem breaks out in the Tory party.

First time for a while that I agree with him on how things will play out.

Can someone explain how "parliament can take control" while May is still prime minister?

I cannot see how "parliament" can propose something to the EU without it being presented by the government, because the european council consists of 28 govenments.

May can resign and then a UK government with different personnell can take control, but as we have seen in the last month, what parliament wants puts pressure on the government, but cannot not compell it to do something it doesent want to.

This is a genuine question, as lots of people are suggesting it as a possibility but I cannot imagine how it occurs in practice
    Letwin passes Monday, opening Wednesday for indicative votes and hopefully thereafter a preferred option emerges. If a majority supported option emerges from this process the government can hardly (well could, but won't, in the circumstances) refuse to run with it, but May can, so she resigns. Lidlington takes over, asks and gets a nine month extension from the EU.

Edit/ as Portillo says, mayhem breaks out in the Tory party, which presumably has a leadership contest thereafter, and there is a big question about viable government. Hence a possible GE or political realignment. But that's for after.
    Thanks for the great answer. I find it a scandal that government refused to "run with" parliament voting to prohibit no deal (May has explicitly said it no deal is still the alternative to May's deal) but will have to "run with" parliament's proposals next week.

Unless May somehow manages to find a way to pass MV3 her successor will have no difficulty in blaming all the present problems on May.
    I feel sorry for May to the extent that in a hung parliament getting any deal through is impossible, but once MV1 was lost by 200+ votes she had to stand down. Both sides need to accept the negotiations up this point have basically failed.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    More importantly, they currently hold it in Assembly. Kirsty Williams is very popular and if she decided to stand for Westminster she would walk it - especially in current climate. But on the oether hand she has another 2 years in Cardiff Bay - she might only get a few months at Westminster...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104
    Norway + CU seems the most likely outcome now, surely. It must be the outcome closest to the preferences of the median voter in the referendum. It pleases nobody but delivers something for everyone. There must be a parliamentary majority for it in the Commons, once people stop holding out for their favourite outcome. It honours the referendum and so respects democracy. It should solve the Irish border problem. It doesn't end freedom of movement, but that was not on the ballot paper. It will probably blow up the Tory party, but so what? The Tory party has almost blown up our country in pursuit of its own narrow interests. Fuck em.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The swine.

It could only be a rubber stamp election of conservative MPs for someone "to guide the country out of the crisis". If there is a proper leadership election then the current parliamentary tories would split and have a vicious fight at exactly the very worst time for the country.
  • Options

The swine.

In our constitution there is no such thing as a temporary Prime Minister.

Once you are in possession of the seals of office you're the PM.
    But what about the rules of the bet (which don't always coincide with our constitution) ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,262

The swine.

What numpty laid someone at those odds!
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

The swine.

It could only be a rubber stamp election of conservative MPs for someone "to guide the country out of the crisis". If there is a proper leadership election then the current parliamentary tories would split and have a vicious fight at exactly the very worst time for the country.
    Which is unavoidable. You think the ERG wouldn't see this as time to move? Get Boris or someone No10?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

"Opioids crisis

Fundamentally if the money isn’t legitimately their’s to give

In the case of the Sacklers for example, they pushed the envelope very aggressively in marketing but not more than other forms have done in different areas. AstraZeneca, for example, paid a $1bn fine for it (oncology I think)

Clearly opioid abuse is particularly damaging but that’s not Purdue’s fault - it’s the responsibility of the pill factories.

They should be fined heavily and forced to disgorge, plus be enjoined and probably have a DPA imposed. But the money left after all the above is itself is legitimate and can be given away
    Though gifts of well scrubbed money may not be helping the Sacklers' reputation (dunno about that), the museums & galleries may be thinking of their own reputations. Those reputations won't last long if prestigious artists are boycotting them and protesting outside them, and no amount of donations can really make up for that.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

The swine.

I have backed at 1000 and laid at 500 before, which would always create the possibility of both winning £1,000 AND having given up £1,000

(it's always £2 stake)

(OK I know 1000 is 999/1, before the pedants get here)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

The swine.

Why would the membership need to be involved in selecting a temporary PM ?
    There's no need for that individual to be leader of the party - but an obvious need to be confirmed by MPs.
    Because to avoid it MPs would, on the whole need to play ball on it.

Is there ANY evidence they would, given the last few years?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

To launder it?
    Ashley wants to buy their Danish business for £100m, so some of it is worth some cash
  • Options
    in terms of next PM. If May quits voluntarily and goes before a new Tory leader is elected then cabinet agree the next PM who will step down when the Tories select their new leader in whatever fashion. That's the process. Liz is only prepared to hold personal hold of the prerogative for the time May's car leaves and the replacement arrives immediately after.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,054
    IanB2 said:

The swine.

Does Theresa May have a Betfair account?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The swine.

But what about the rules of the bet (which don't always coincide with our constitution) ?
    For next party leader markets, caretaker/acting leaders do not count.

But for next PM if you get the seal of office you're PM, and the bet pays out.

I've checked with both Shadsy and Betfair to confirm.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

That isn't true though is it. We've always had and continue to have control over non-EU migration. If leavers don't like Romanians and prefer Somalis they might be happy. But the complaints seem to be about numbers coming rather than where they come from.

Meanwhile, the revoke article 50 petition has now been signed by over 5% of the electorate.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

That isn't true though is it. We've always had and continue to have control over non-EU migration. If leavers don't like Romanians and prefer Somalis they might be happy. But the complaints seem to be about numbers coming rather than where they come from.

Meanwhile, the revoke article 50 petition has now been signed by over 5% of the electorate.
    One side-effect of Macron's new deadline is that it will very possibly reach 17.4 million in time, now.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

+1 to Rafael Behr and +1 to Cyclefree
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The swine.

For next party leader markets, caretaker/acting leaders do not count.

But for next PM if you get the seal of office you're PM, and the bet pays out.

I've checked with both Shadsy and Betfair to confirm.
    Cool.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    GIN1138 said:
    It could, although I think Brecon & Radnor voted Leave.
  • Options

in terms of next PM. If May quits voluntarily and goes before a new Tory leader is elected then cabinet agree the next PM who will step down when the Tories select their new leader in whatever fashion. That's the process. Liz is only prepared to hold personal hold of the prerogative for the time May's car leaves and the replacement arrives immediately after.

Which would be fine if we had the luxuary of time. The worst thing is if may resigns, but 'stuck' in office whilst the tories then tear each other apart.

the cabinet could lock themselves away and elect a new leader. that could happen but it required forces outside the cabinet to plat ball. but who..if someone like Hammond or Rudd then the ERG would throw a paddy. if someone like Boris or another No-dealer it would similarly be case on the Remainer side.

Gove is possible.

• Options
    eristdoof said:

Cyclefree said:

+1 to Rafael Behr and +1 to Cyclefree
    I read the same article and had come to much the same conclusions.
    It is not in the least bit generous to her, but it's hard to argue it's undeserved.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:
    Nevertheless looks a strong chance of a Lib Dem gain in a by-election.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

Which would be fine if we had the luxuary of time. The worst thing is if may resigns, but 'stuck' in office whilst the tories then tear each other apart.

the cabinet could lock themselves away and elect a new leader. that could happen but it required forces outside the cabinet to plat ball. but who..if someone like Hammond or Rudd then the ERG would throw a paddy. if someone like Boris or another No-dealer it would similarly be case on the Remainer side.

Gove is possible.

It needs to be a temporary candidate with an election to follow. Liddington would be the best bet...
  • Options
    eek said:

Gove is possible.

It needs to be a temporary candidate with an election to follow. Liddington would be the best bet...
    the problem though isn't the person. it's the policy. Would Liddington go for No-Deal, or new (softer) deal or referendum?

Just replacing the personnel at the top does nothing.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:
    Nevertheless looks a strong chance of a Lib Dem gain in a by-election.
    Given the circumstances of the by-election, they have a fair chance, but pro- anti- Brexit feeling may trump that.
This discussion has been closed.