Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cooper-Letwin, forcing Article 50 to be delayed, is enacted an

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cooper-Letwin, forcing Article 50 to be delayed, is enacted and adds to the constraints on TMay

Overnight the Queen signed what’s become known as the Cooper-Letwin measures thus making it now the law that TMsy cannot take the UK out of the EU without a deal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited April 2019
    1st unless this thread goes the way of the Boris one.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    And so Cooper will get her desire of no Brexit. A remarkable achievement
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Ishmael_Z said:

1st unless this thread goes the way of the Boris one.

Is Cooper-Letwin a spoof too?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited April 2019
    Letwin-Cooper is all very well but if Macron vetoes further extension this week, the Commons will either have to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement or to revoke Article 50 by Friday night to avoid No Deal
    Scott_P said:
    Still hunting those unicorns. Or focusing on the blame game
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Robbed!
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

Still hunting those unicorns. Or focusing on the blame game

It's a quote for her leadership campaign, but it remains almost blindingly stupid.
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

Letwin-Cooper is all very well but if Macron vetoes further extension this week, the Commons will either have to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement or to revoke Article 50 by Friday night to avoid No Deal

I'm sure they would be devastated if we revoked as a result of their bill.

I hope the sarcasm is clear enough.
  • Scott_P said:
    We hold all the cards.
    edited April 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure they would be devastated if we revoked as a result of their bill.
    Which looks the likeliest outcome if No extension
  • HYUFD said:

It is inconceivable that France will veto any extension throwing Ireland to the wolves

The Express reporting a block of 28 ERG members broke away yesterday leaving about 25 ultra brexiteers to continue their drive to economic armageddon
  • kle4 said:

Fake news.

She doesn’t want No Brexit, she just wants to avoid a No Deal Brexit which even Gove concedes doesn’t honour the referendum campaign.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,770
    kle4 said:

For a back bench MP out of favour with her party's leadership it is indeed. Assessments of her capability based on the fiasco of HIPs perhaps need to be revisited.

HYUFD said:

It is inconceivable that France will veto any extension throwing Ireland to the wolves

The Express reporting a block of 28 ERG members broke away yesterday leaving about 25 ultra brexiteers to continue their drive to economic armageddon
    Probably but remember De Gaulle vetoed our original EEC entry in the first place.

If No Deal Barnier has said the EU would not hold any further talks with the UK until the backstop agreed to protect Ireland
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    In exciting news, I managed to fix the Open Office spellchecker, which had broken.

Huzzah for me!
    DavidL said:

For a back bench MP out of favour with her party's leadership it is indeed. Assessments of her capability based on the fiasco of HIPs perhaps need to be revisited.

Or, even talented politicians can't deliver crap policy.

c.f. Brexit...
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/DKShrewsbury/status/1115339460512821250
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Have there been any recent polls for Leave/Remain? Surely 'Remain' must by now have enough of a lead to make a second referendum sound like the democratic thing to do.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited April 2019
    The BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme set Layla Moran, Andrew Bridgen and Yasmin Qureshi the task of putting aside their differences to answer Brexit-themed puzzles and questions.
    But can they get out on time?

10-11am on BBC & News Channel

Hmmm!!!!

kle4 said:

Fake news.

She doesn’t want No Brexit, she just wants to avoid a No Deal Brexit which even Gove concedes doesn’t honour the referendum campaign.
    Yeah right that's the only thing she wants. Avoiding no deal and wanting remain complement each other. We can all be honest now, revoke is popular after all. If you honestly believe Cooper and Letwin do not seek for us to remain that seems very naive to me.

It's good we probably wont no deal now, well done her, but she was worked toward remain, let's not kid ourselves, unless you think she's about to back some sort of option now that takes remain off the table?
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Or, even talented politicians can't deliver crap policy.

c.f. Brexit...
    And crap politicians can't even deliver good policy. c.f. Brexit...
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    edited April 2019
    Roger said:

Have there been any recent polls for Leave/Remain? Surely 'Remain' must by now have enough of a lead to make a second referendum sound like the democratic thing to do.

There were 60 odd in 2015, 86% of them had Remain winning and the average margin was 8%

Maybe the referendum vote was an outlier!! :D
    I saw Hardcore Unicorn Remainers back in '92...

The second album was shite though. Nearly as bad as Radiohead.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    Scott_P said:
    This is the kind of stuff which will dominate any Tory leadership campaign.
    Which will make it such fun. A new leader publically committed to impossible things.
  • DavidL said:

kle4 said:

As you grow older your education account develops, miistake by mistake, until in later life you gain wisdom and look back at some of your previous decisions in horror.

Hips and Yvette come into that category. I actually had considerable involvement with HIPS at the time and Yvette just would not listen to advice coming from many in the industry.
    Scott_P said:

Their John Peel sessions were legendary, though.
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Which will make it such fun. A new leader publically committed to impossible things.
    I think anything is possible if Leadsom sits down with Merkel to resolve the crisis like she sat down with Eddie George.

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

As you grow older your education account develops, miistake by mistake, until in later life you gain wisdom and look back at some of your previous decisions in horror.

Hips and Yvette come into that category. I actually had considerable involvement with HIPS at the time and Yvette just would not listen to advice coming from many in the industry.
    In Scotland, because the SNP can never admit a mistake, we still have them. In fairness it kept a lot of surveyor firms going after 2008, all those delicious and pointless fees and repeat fees for so little work.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

She kept calling the RICS an institute rather than institution. That’s Surveyong 101 failed, and symbolic of her ignorance of expert advice - guess what Politicians didn’t like experts before Gove.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I very much hope we don’t get an extension.

To govern is to choose. It’s time those elected (and paid) to do so remembered that.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    Scott_P said:
    "fantastic" as in a complete fantasy is about right.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fake news.

Yeah right that's the only thing she wants. Avoiding no deal and wanting remain complement each other. We can all be honest now, revoke is popular after all. If you honestly believe Cooper and Letwin do not seek for us to remain that seems very naive to me.

It's good we probably wont no deal now, well done her, but she was worked toward remain, let's not kid ourselves, unless you think she's about to back some sort of option now that takes remain off the table?
    I’ve spent most of 2019 reassuring Leavers that we’d eventually Leave, ERG permitting.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

In Scotland, because the SNP can never admit a mistake, we still have them. In fairness it kept a lot of surveyor firms going after 2008, all those delicious and pointless fees and repeat fees for so little work.
    The problem for Suevyors is that what they really want to do is provide expert advice - something of value for a relevant fee. Providing nonsense tick box reports which can be completed by trainees is not a way to promote a profession.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Probably but remember De Gaulle vetoed our original EEC entry in the first place.

If No Deal Barnier has said the EU would not hold any further talks with the UK until the backstop agreed to protect Ireland
    What if Macron refuses an extension, and No Deal leads to massive queues of rotting French food in Calais? The always friendly French farmers and truck drivers in their yellow vests would cause him no end of problems.

I'll believe Macron's intention to block an extension when it actually happens.

HYUFD said:

Peter Bone seems to be in a breakaway of his own, being the only MP to sign an amendment put down to this evening's extension motion seeking to change the date to 15 April.
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Leadsom as the White Queen:

"“Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.'

I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. "

It does kinda work, doesn't it?
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What if Macron refuses an extension, and No Deal leads to massive queues of rotting French food in Calais? The always friendly French farmers and truck drivers in their yellow vests would cause him no end of problems.

There isn't going to be any veto - Macron is simply playing hard cop and to his domestic audience. The EU will take a united consensus view and stick to it. Unlike our politicians.
    edited April 2019
    FPT
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    FPT
    RoyalBlue said:

» show previous quotes
    Last time I checked Scotland had a referendum on independence, and voted for the continuation of the Union.

Did you forget?

You cretinous dolt , that was because people wanted to be certain they would be in the EU. That worked out well, all that crap about how everyone's opinion would count , we would be at the table. Lying bunch of barstewards.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    HYUFD said:

Aye. Newsnight was hilarious last night, suggesting Theresa May would be begging Macron for an extension.

The UK is STILL in control of events. We can revoke, take the deal, or leave with no deal. Just as we could five months ago.

If we really want 'an extension', we'd have to revoke and re-invoke at a later date (long enough so it not to look like we were abusing the process) so it would force us into a very long extension, but an extension we would get.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

I saw them above a pub before they were famous. They had sold out by the time their first record came out.
    Mr. B, hey!

Some of us do some proper research about fantasy (for anyone who read Journey to Altmortis: the crowberries included in the story are real. Took me a little while to find naturally occurring sub-Arctic tundra edible berries, but it's a nice touch).

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

The problem for Suevyors is that what they really want to do is provide expert advice - something of value for a relevant fee. Providing nonsense tick box reports which can be completed by trainees is not a way to promote a profession.
    Yep.
  • IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Peter Bone seems to be in a breakaway of his own, being the only MP to sign an amendment put down to this evening's extension motion seeking to change the date to 15 April.
    He even queried why HMG was involving the queen in giving royal assent to the Cooper Letwin bill

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited April 2019
    OT fun (but voodoo) ranked-choice presidential poll:
    https://rcv-app.firebaseapp.com/poll/-LbZO2dSxNVSEkBDEDRV/ballot

Currently the final round, after 16 eliminations, is:
    Buttigieg 50.6%
    Bernie: 31.1%
    Beto 18.3%

Biden not really figuring, even after you apply the "your name has to begin with B" rule and eliminate everyone else.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    kle4 said:

Lets hope the voters of her 70% leave voting constituency will act accordingly and get rid at the next available opportunity....
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

David, It was Letwins bill, she was just window dressing to get labour support, she has not the brains to be anything other than back bench cannon fodder as she has amply proved over the years.
    edited April 2019
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There isn't going to be any veto - Macron is simply playing hard cop and to his domestic audience. The EU will take a united consensus view and stick to it. Unlike our politicians.
    Exactly, it's transparent posturing for his domestic audience.

The PM and EU leaders need to work out a way forward that is suitable for all, which isn't going to come about until they all acknowledge that the Withdrawal Agreement isn't going to pass Parliament.

The alternative is that the UK holds the MEP elections, and elects a bunch of undesirables to mess with the EU budget planning later this year.

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

He even queried why HMG was involving the queen in giving royal assent to the Cooper Letwin bill

The House Of Crooks And Thieves were getting HMQ up at 11pm. This a 92 year old woman. At least someone was thinking about the old girl... :D
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Lets hope the voters of her 70% leave voting constituency will act accordingly and get rid at the next available opportunity....
    Indeed. Thst eould be a very fine outcome.
  • A couple of weekends ago the papers said The Queen wouldn’t give Royal Assent to Cooper-Letwin.

Leavers even got some lawyers to say so.

How’d that turn out?

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Fake news.

I’ve spent most of 2019 reassuring Leavers that we’d eventually Leave, ERG permitting.
    And that has something to do with Cooper obviously wanting to see us remain and working toward that end how?

Her actions to try to prevent no deal are appreciated but her motivation is as direct as the noon day sun on a cloudless day.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited April 2019
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

The Scottish system is fundamentally different though -
    And this might sound a naive question, but do buyers surveys and sellers surveys look different on the same property ?

Edit: Just checked, HIPs mandatory information never included a property survey !
    isam said:

FPT

That was a particularly stupid comment from Uniondivvie given there are a number of us on here who support both Brexit and Scottish Independence.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

What's a caucas? Is it a phonetic rendering of what everyone thinks of ERG?
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

FPT

Sort your font size out man, it's coming across shouty.

isam said:

FPT

That was a particularly stupid comment from Uniondivvie given there are a number of us on here who support both Brexit and Scottish Independence.
    The answer is crap as it would be impossible if England voted leave for the rest of the UK to change the result, that is the whole point , it is always what England wants that is enacted, with 86% of the population how else could it be , the union is crap for Scotland, fine for NI as they are a financial basket case unless they unite with south. Wales are so stuffed they are unable to be saved.

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

I saw them above a pub before they were famous. They had sold out by the time their first record came out.
    Mogg was the first one to sign the deal...

isam said:

FPT

We're on to stupid already? Fucking moron by noon I'll wager.
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

And this might sound a naive question, but do buyers surveys and sellers surveys look different on the same property ?
    Back when I were a lad in the 1980s doing conveyancing the Scottish system was different in that missives (contracts) were concluded promptly and usually weeks before the date of entry allowing the seller to commit himself in turn to their next purchase. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case and parties frequently leave the contracts open, as I understand you do in England, until the day of settlement with the result that day, like Brexit, gets delayed. It is regrettable.

On surveys I would say that a buyer's survey focuses much more on risk factors, possible repair costs, re-sellability. The sellers' home report contains lots of largely irrelevant material in which you occasionally find something alarming, if you know how to read between the lines.
    edited April 2019

isam said:

FPT
    *horrible nasty thing*

It's an image, really horrible way to quote stuff.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

"“Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.'

I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. "

One vote makes you larger, and one vote makes you small
    And the ones that Corbyn gives you, don't do anything at all
    Go ask Leadsome, when she's ten feet tall
    And if you go chasing unicorns, and you know you're going to fall
    Tell 'em a fat twat called Boris has given you the call
    And call Leadsome, when she was just small
    When the men on the '22 get up and tell you where to go
    And you've just had some kind of polling, and your mind is moving low
    Go ask Leadsome, I think she'll know
    When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
    And JRM is talking backwards
    And the Kate Hoey's off with her head
    Remember what the Sajid said
    Feed your head, feed your head
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Edit: Just checked, HIPs mandatory information never included a property survey !
    And they wouldn't be accepted by banks offering to mortgage the property, who insist on using their own people (as the HIPsters wouldn't have professional liability insurance to cover screwups). It was one of the most bonkers government policies in our lifetimes.

HIPs don't lie, Yvette.

isam said:

FPT

Same size as yours mon!
    At the risk of over-exciting the site, I also managed to change straight apostrophes to curly ones in mere minutes (it took me bloody ages to find out how to do it the first time).
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

Same size as yours mon!
    It's not, it depends on your browser. Please, just quote stuff the normal way.
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

Okay that is just genius. :)
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

David, It was Letwins bill, she was just window dressing to get labour support, she has not the brains to be anything other than back bench cannon fodder as she has amply proved over the years.
    She brought together a sufficient consensus to achieve a majority. Something May has found quite beyond her.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    interesting snippet in this latest call for the cabinet to grow a pair.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/04/the-cabinet-must-tell-may-to-go.html

"Expect soon to hear a new form of that old talk about a Conservative-UKIP alliance – this time round, of a Tory-Brexit Party pact."

At the risk of over-exciting the site, I also managed to change straight apostrophes to curly ones in mere minutes (it took me bloody ages to find out how to do it the first time).

Find and replace function in Open Office?
    edited April 2019

isam said:

isam said:

Same size as yours mon!
    It's not, it depends on your browser. Please, just quote stuff the normal way.
    The photo has quotes from @Theuniondivvie and myself which are the same size.

I like that way of quoting from the previous thread
    Scott_P said:
    That would probably be enough to get the WA through. Pragmatism at last?
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

She brought together a sufficient consensus to achieve a majority. Something May has found quite beyond her.
    So did the Brady amendment - but May ignored that completely.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    The monarch is the latest enemy of the people.

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1115519090876190721?s=21
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

Brilliant.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Not going to happen
    Mr. Sandpit, nothing so puny!

I have made it so that a typed apostrophe appears curly at once. Behold my formatting prowess!

(On a serious note, I dislike straight ones and I annoyed me for ages the first time I had to do this, so a quick fiddle getting the change done is delightful).

However, find and replace is very handy for checking things like triple full stops instead of ellipsis, repetition of things like 'the the', 'and and', 'a a' and so on.
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

One of my favourite songs when I was a teenager! Very good.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    GIN1138 said:
    And Ireland itself will accept 5 years? Somehow I doubt it.

Buttigieg 50.6%
    Beto 18.3%

Biden not really figuring, even after you apply the "your name has to begin with B" rule and eliminate everyone else.

There was an interesting radio prog in the very early hours a couple of weeks ago between James Naughtie and Rhod Sharp who as youngsters were both reporters together in New York. Now well into middle age they were looking at possibe Democratic candidates.

One was pretty certain it would be won by the man with the unpronouncable name from Indiana and the other thought it would go to Beto O'Rourke who he had just interviewed. Thanks for reminding me to have a bet and giving me the name of the unpronouncable one.
    edited April 2019

Jezza's already picking out the council houses that HMQ and her family will be moved into during the second term! :D
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    The rule of Brexit is that sensible , pragmatic ideas get thrown in the bin.

isam said:

Roger said:

There were 60 odd in 2015, 86% of them had Remain winning and the average margin was 8%

Quite funny!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Roger said:

Buttigieg 50.6%
    Beto 18.3%

There was an interesting radio prog in the very early hours a couple of weeks ago between James Naughtie and Rhod Sharp who as youngsters were both reporters together in New York. Now well into middle age they were looking at possibe Democratic candidates.

One was pretty certain it would be won by the man with the unpronouncable name from Indiana and the other thought it would go to Beto O'Rourke who he had just interviewed. Thanks for reminding me to have a bet and giving me the name of the unpronouncable one.
    Certainly worth a couple of quid on Bettigieg imho. I have been on for some time, since Axelrod put out a tweet about the guy being really good.
    eek said:

GIN1138 said:
    And Ireland itself will accept 5 years? Somehow I doubt it.
    Little Leo will do what the Boss tells him... :D

Why wait to write Brexit on a ballot paper when you can howl 24/7 from your lavishly tooled computer chair?
    kle4 said:

How do you see that happening?
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

LOL, not a high bar there David.
    This is clearly heading for long extension. Why cant they just get it done.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    GIN1138 said:

Jezza's already picking out the council houses that HMQ and her family will be moved into during the second term! :D
    Further evidence that the Tory right and Labour left are two sides of the same coin.
    isam said:

Roger said:

Remain may well have actually been ahead in 2015. The campaigns probably changed minds
    Roger said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Quite funny!
    :)
This discussion has been closed.