Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Divided they fall. Alastair Meeks on the European elections

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Divided they fall. Alastair Meeks on the European elections

The 2019 Euro elections – not a contest I thought was going to require a British perspective. Yet here we are, taking at least one more curtain call.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    JEFFERSON!
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    stodge said:

isam said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

The official figures on homelessness don't show any surge at all: https://www.homeless.org.uk/facts/homelessness-in-numbers/statutory-homelessness

Overall applications are down slightly over the last 5 years, accepted applications are up slightly. It is a disappointingly static picture given addressing this was supposed to be a priority but a surge it isn't.

This isn't just about homelessness or rough sleeping but about the quality of life for thousands of people. It shouldn't be acceptable in 2019 in the UK for families to live in one room - it shouldn't be acceptable for 20 or more people to live in a 3-bedroom suburban semi and it shouldn't be people for people to be caged up in a modern day workhouse like Terminus House.
    The competition for low wage jobs doesn't help the problem in your opening paragraph. But big corporates cant make huge profits without such exploitation
    There you have the problem of modern capitalism. The Victorian entrepreneurs realised an educated and healthy work force would be more productive so they led the way in public health and education. Cities were cleared of cholera though not pollution and gradually diet improved so people became taller, stronger and lived longer.

We need a similar approach in the 21st Century with capitalism leading the way on tackling climate change, addiction and mental health. I'd start by reducing working hours and ending the "long hours" culture which is fuelled by drug use and/or poor diet. If we worked less and lived a little more, I think we'd all be better off.
    How exactly are we going to get capitalism to "lead the way" on those issues?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    Watching the Remainers point to Brexit and UKIP getting 50 odd % of the vote between them and only 2 seats would be beautiful
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited April 2019
    I think Brexit Party and Change UK could end up fighting it out for first and second with Labour third and Con fourth or even fifth in this election. :open_mouth:

stodge said:

isam said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

The official figures on homelessness don't show any surge at all: https://www.homeless.org.uk/facts/homelessness-in-numbers/statutory-homelessness

Overall applications are down slightly over the last 5 years, accepted applications are up slightly. It is a disappointingly static picture given addressing this was supposed to be a priority but a surge it isn't.

This isn't just about homelessness or rough sleeping but about the quality of life for thousands of people. It shouldn't be acceptable in 2019 in the UK for families to live in one room - it shouldn't be acceptable for 20 or more people to live in a 3-bedroom suburban semi and it shouldn't be people for people to be caged up in a modern day workhouse like Terminus House.
    The competition for low wage jobs doesn't help the problem in your opening paragraph. But big corporates cant make huge profits without such exploitation
    There you have the problem of modern capitalism. The Victorian entrepreneurs realised an educated and healthy work force would be more productive so they led the way in public health and education. Cities were cleared of cholera though not pollution and gradually diet improved so people became taller, stronger and lived longer.

We need a similar approach in the 21st Century with capitalism leading the way on tackling climate change, addiction and mental health. I'd start by reducing working hours and ending the "long hours" culture which is fuelled by drug use and/or poor diet. If we worked less and lived a little more, I think we'd all be better off.
    I am not sure that more than a handful of Victorian entrepreneurs were as enlightened as claimed. If that is wrong it is strange that we needed so many Factory Acts.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    I wonder what the Brexit Party and UKIP think of each other.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

They are jovial easy going types who aren't easily wound up. I am sure they roll along just fine.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

Splitters
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    I mentioned on the last thread and repeat for relevance, the mighty SDP have ruled out standing in the euros so that's 0.1% the Brexit party can get. Patrick OFlynn will be the PPC for any Peterborough by election
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    I don’t understand how labour can want to tie us in to a customs union that basically keeps us out of EU international trade deals but gives third parties tariff free access to our markets effectively making us poorer and killing our exports . And they want it enshrining in international law so we can’t reassess ! Bonkers, if the tories agree to this UK is finished
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Its not just Easter Bunnies that are racist...

Burger King remove 'racist' chopsticks ad

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-47866381
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Huge applause for people’s vote campaigner demanding a people’s vote at a people’s vote rally? Now I’ve heard everything.

People’s front of Judea etc.
    A reporter has asked them how many years do they think it will take before the UK comes begging to be let back in. Macron has answered in sign language.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Fpt
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

And yet the evidence of our own eyes tells us a completely different story.
    I think what we are seeing is more rough sleeping, as Richard mentioned earlier. It is a lot more obvious than people in overcrowded conditions or sofa surfing. It has clearly increased since Romania joined the EU and we received a lot more professional beggars than we had before.
    I don't know what it's like round your bit but there aren't many Romanian rough sleepers in Glasgow. To use a favourite Brexitty right trope, why would they come over here to take advantage of the UK benefit system then make it much harder for themselves to do so?

In any case, as suggested in the recent 60 Days On The Streets programme, Glasgow at least seems to have made a dent in rough sleeping compared to other places.

'But after arriving during the coldest part of winter, what he found waiting for him on the streets of Glasgow took him by surprise.
    “It was really positive, he explains. “There was a bed first policy and so many positive things going on, including the joined-up thinking and how all the organisations talk to each other. There was even an organisation that was set up to allow the different, fragmented organisations set up for homeless people to communicate with each other...

“There was more examples of people with their cases being solved, due to the progressive policies up in Scotland. I think it will be a bit of a light at the end of quite a dark tunnel in terms of the first two episodes. There was a lot that English local authorities and charities could learn from in the way things are being done.” '

https://tinyurl.com/y4mrmhto
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Ishmael_Z said:

JEFFERSON!

You retracted your ignorant comments about Apartheid yet?
    kjohnw said:

I don’t understand how labour can want to tie us in to a customs union that basically keeps us out of EU international trade deals but gives third parties tariff free access to our markets effectively making us poorer and killing our exports . And they want it enshrining in international law so we can’t reassess ! Bonkers, if the tories agree to this UK is finished

The UK was finished the moment headbanging Brexiteers took control of the Tory Party and Corbyn took control of Labour.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    RobD said:

Huge applause for people’s vote campaigner demanding a people’s vote at a people’s vote rally? Now I’ve heard everything.
    He's a Leaver, so it's actually significant.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited April 2019
    They're psychologically a big deal. If we have them chances are they serve a full term.

And what does sitting them out achieve if that happens?
    _Anazina_ said:

Ishmael_Z said:

JEFFERSON!

PB comments are unretractable, and forever stored in the PB archive. Unless you are SeanT, of course.
    RobD said:

I guess it is slightly more consistent than avowed Leave supporters voting down the WA
    kle4 said:

They're psychologically a big deal. If we have them chances are they serve a full term.

And allowing all the other parties election air time whilst you're shut out would be suicide, you're advertising a post Tory world
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Guten Abend, meine Bruder.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

kle4 said:

And allowing all the other parties election air time whilst you're shut out would be suicide, you're advertising a post Tory world
    Some might say the Tories tried that approached at the last GE and it didn't go very well...

Good afternoon, comrade Dancer.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    That's what I said. Why are Con even bothering? :D
    _Anazina_ said:

Ishmael_Z said:

JEFFERSON!

Nope. Didn't make any. Next?
    GIN1138 said:

They could have a party with the SDP in the not playing playground
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

If the changes in the Welsh poll were replicated nationally, (and I expect in practice, support for the Brexit Party and Change UK would vary markedly by region), I'd expect a result along the lines of:-

Labour 25
    Conservative 20
    UKIP 7
    Brexit 7
    Green 5
    Lib Dem 2
    Change UK 1
    SNP 2
    Plaid 1
    Northern Ireland 3

resulting in 38 pro-EU, 35 anti-EU MEP's.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    I reckon politicians mostly have a psychological disorder that would make it very difficult to step aside voluntarily and let others take power, no matter how little power and for how short a time.
    GIN1138 said:

Give the old biddies a chance to vote for another party? Dangerous. They might make a habit of it.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Thank you Alastair for an excellent thread.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    D’Hondt is a form of PR albeit constrained by the confines of small constituency sizes.

In other elections, such as the upcoming Spanish elections, D'Hondt gives a proportional results in some large constituencies (like Madrid) and a disproportionate result (and particularly a small swing -> big change in result effect) elsewhere.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    Are we seriously doing this? Jeez.

GIN1138 said:

Nowadays the SDP seem to have been taken over by a UKIP faction and have an ex UKIP MEP.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46357121
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

A reporter has asked them how many years do they think it will take before the UK comes begging to be let back in. Macron has answered in sign language.
    Channel 4 concedes Eurotrash reboot not going so well
    Lol @ LDs looking at 7th or 8th place
  • Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    But if we allocated by D'Hondt nationally we'd get a practically proportional result. STV as in Northern Ireland is not very protonation in small constituencies.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    GIN1138 said:

Just to irritate the not-so-loyal DUP, they could model themselves on Sinn Fein and refuse to take their seats.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

kle4 said:

Normally yes - but perhaps this is one to sit out and not be on tv talking about Europe..

Mein surely.

GIN1138 said:

Nowadays the SDP seem to have been taken over by a UKIP faction and have an ex UKIP MEP.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46357121
    Owenites of the extreme. Rod Liddle backs them too.
    No meps after this though as oflynn will instead concentrate on Peterborough
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729

My German is not all it might be, but shouldn't that be 'mein Brüder?'
    Scott_P said:
    Alright PB, who is Perfidious Albion on Dope?
    DavidL said:

Are we seriously doing this? Jeez.

I was thinking this country had embarrassed itself for the next 10 to 15 years. Now thinking 10 to 15 generations.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

It's going to take a concerted multi-agency efforts where companies whose main raison d'etre is to avoid paying tax are cajoled or coerced into accepting a degree of civic responsibility.

Perhaps you might have some ideas to contribute or do you think we should just let capitalism run riot and damn the consequences?

I mentioned on the last thread and repeat for relevance, the mighty SDP have ruled out standing in the euros so that's 0.1% the Brexit party can get. Patrick OFlynn will be the PPC for any Peterborough by election

He gets around, doesn't he.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Peston needs to give up forecasting .

According to him in March before the last EU summit May would take the UK out on no deal .

The EU is more likely to give two options as it did last time . A short one and a longer flexible extension with conditions .

He gets around, doesn't he.
    Yes he likes a flit about
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2019

Disappointing. It would have been interesting to see how much support they have. Are the TIGs intending to stand in the Euros?
    Surely the main question is whether David Coburn will any longer bestride the national and international stage?
  • RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Has to be someone with a long history of anti French comments.

I can’t think of anyone regularly denigrates the nation of collaborators.

Fpt

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think what we are seeing is more rough sleeping, as Richard mentioned earlier. It is a lot more obvious than people in overcrowded conditions or sofa surfing. It has clearly increased since Romania joined the EU and we received a lot more professional beggars than we had before.
    I don't know what it's like round your bit but there aren't many Romanian rough sleepers in Glasgow. To use a favourite Brexitty right trope, why would they come over here to take advantage of the UK benefit system then make it much harder for themselves to do so?

In any case, as suggested in the recent 60 Days On The Streets programme, Glasgow at least seems to have made a dent in rough sleeping compared to other places.

'But after arriving during the coldest part of winter, what he found waiting for him on the streets of Glasgow took him by surprise.
    “It was really positive, he explains. “There was a bed first policy and so many positive things going on, including the joined-up thinking and how all the organisations talk to each other. There was even an organisation that was set up to allow the different, fragmented organisations set up for homeless people to communicate with each other...

“There was more examples of people with their cases being solved, due to the progressive policies up in Scotland. I think it will be a bit of a light at the end of quite a dark tunnel in terms of the first two episodes. There was a lot that English local authorities and charities could learn from in the way things are being done.” '

40% of London's rough sleepers are UK National's

https://www.nao.org.uk/naoblog/growing-number-of-rough-sleepers/
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

So when the EU refuse an extension May could have responded with the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore version of "Goodbye" but Cooper/Letwin has made that illegal so it's revocation time.

Surely the main question is whether David Coburn will any longer bestride the national and international stage?

I see the infamous Nazi Pug ex-youtuber "Count Dankula" is standing for Ukip in Scotland.

What larks.
    ydoethur said:

Mein Bruder, singular. Meine Brüder, plural.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

Not sure, but in this picture DD looks like he had a bad trip...

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1115552820135104512
    Chris said:

I reckon politicians mostly have a psychological disorder that would make it very difficult to step aside voluntarily and let others take power, no matter how little power and for how short a time.
    Haha yes, I think the last 3 years prove your point very well!
  • isam said:

Fpt

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

...and 80% of the UK's are UK nationals, as the link showed.

-Which might also explain why the rough sleepers in the west end at christmas appeared to be english people from outside London.

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

That would make them a jolly good egg indeed.
    Perfidious Albion on Acid.

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    All of them!
    AndyJS said:

Disappointing. It would have been interesting to see how much support they have. Are the TIGs intending to stand in the Euros?
    Yep that's why they are becoming a party. To do so

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

There's nobody on here who would ever say such a thing about the cheese eating wine guzzling sex crazed surrender monkeys.

isam said:

Fpt

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

...and 80% of the UK's are UK nationals, as the link showed.

-Which might also explain why the rough sleepers in the west end at christmas appeared to be english people from outside London.
    What % of the UK population are UK nationals?
    The disgraced former defence secretary and General Practitioner/wannabe trade expert, Liam Fox says CU is a bad idea.

Must be good then.

ydoethur said:

Mein Bruder, singular. Meine Brüder, plural.
    Right.

So actually we were both wrong?

Interesting. Is that a ministerial flag?

The disgraced former defence secretary and General Practitioner/wannabe trade expert, Liam Fox says CU is a bad idea.

Must be good then.

Can't believe the remainers lost the referendum with the reduction of everything to personalities.

stodge said:

So when the EU refuse an extension May could have responded with the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore version of "Goodbye" but Cooper/Letwin has made that illegal so it's revocation time.
    Let's hope you are right!

Is he standing? I think he (along with practically everyone else) fell out with UKIP last year.

Must be good then.

Being stuck inside one does seem to be a terrible idea. No wonder Corbyn is all for it.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,953
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

There's nobody on here who would ever say such a thing about the cheese eating wine guzzling sex crazed surrender monkeys.
    Isn't there something about three hour boozy lunches?

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I don't really reckon alternate history as a genre, but I am going to write one just for you about WW2. The initial facts will be identical except that the English Channel was completely filled in in the 1930s in a mega Keynsian work creation scheme.

You will not enjoy this book.
    RobD said:

Looks more like a disgraced national security risk to me.

(Just to save TSE the effort and concomitant blood pressure spike.)
    isam said:

Fpt

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There's a lot of Romanian beggars around the Royal Mile but there are also several white males who seem to be Scottish, usually with some drink/drug habit issues. Edinburgh maybe needs to learn a bit from Glasgow.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Yes, my thinking exactly. Who cares what MEPs we send to enjoy their expense allowances in Brussels and Strasbourg for a few months? And why should the EU care - other MEPs can always take their headphones off and play Fortnite on their smartphones while some British headbanger rants.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited April 2019
    RobD said:

Flag of the Board of Trade.

Liam Fox is also President of the Board of Trade.

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Isn't there something about three hour boozy lunches?
    Is there? Where do I sign up?
    DavidL said:

Is he standing? I think he (along with practically everyone else) fell out with UKIP last year.
    He's in the Brexit Party now. I doubt Coburn could resist a last hurrah of media attention which I assume he'd get as an incumbent.
    TGOHF said:

Must be good then.

Can't believe the remainers lost the referendum with the reduction of everything to personalities.

Na, not sure we actually lost. It's very marginal nature and the pernicious influence of at least one hostile foreign power and all that, somewhat calls it into question.

Also, as I said the other day if Leavers had been a little more dignified in their marginal victory, rather than gloating, they might have taken the moral high ground. Your post is yet another example as to why they didn't, and why they did not. Too late now, as they never will.

RobD said:

Cheers. Was Fox going for an Elizabeth I vibe here?
  • Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I don't really reckon alternate history as a genre, but I am going to write one just for you about WW2. The initial facts will be identical except that the English Channel was completely filled in in the 1930s in a mega Keynsian work creation scheme.

Sounds like seditious talk to me.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Lovely line from Matt Hancock on the Beeb:

'voting Conservative “used to be something people started to think about doing when they got their first paycheck – now it’s when they get their first winter fuel allowance.”

TGOHF said:

Must be good then.

Na, not sure we actually lost. It's very marginal nature and the pernicious influence of at least one hostile foreign power and all that, somewhat calls it into question.

Also, as I said the other day if Leavers had been a little more dignified in their marginal victory, rather than gloating, they might have taken the moral high ground. Your post is yet another example as to why they didn't, and why they did not. Too late now, as they never will.
    Ah yes, it was the Russians wot lost it. Not the rather mediocre product that Remain was trying sell.
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    It is difficult to see why anyone would make the effort to vote Tory if there are to be EU elections. What would you be trying to say? Hurrah for creating another 9 months of internal backbiting and recrimination, continued uncertainty for business and the frazzled populace and conceivably a customs union based Brexit that negates the advantages of Brexit.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

He's certainly virgin on the ridiculous.
    Apologies for the absence of an umlaut, bit of a pain to do.

On gender, I once provoked a marvellously exasperated expression from my German Lehrer when I asked if a brother who had a sex change operation would be a Bruderin.

RobD said:

Ludicrous! I am wondering when Lord Sugar will become President of the BMA Council.
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

You’re a machine :D
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    kle4 said:

Psychologically it might have sent a strong message to the ERG types.
    Mr. Doethur, that's a bit ruff.
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Really, Mr D, we agreed to keep that private...

TGOHF said:

Must be good then.

Na, not sure we actually lost.
    Well there's another reason ...
    edited April 2019

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Sounds like seditious talk to me.
    There may have been an equally heroic evacuation of the BEF carried out by milk floats & wheelbarrows across the plain of Dunkerque. Unfortunately they were all squashed by Panzers 10 miles from Dover.
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Really, Mr D, we agreed to keep that private...
    :o:blush:
This discussion has been closed.