Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the fight for the WH2020 Democratic nomination 37 year old

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the fight for the WH2020 Democratic nomination 37 year old Mayor Pete moves to 3rd in the betting

Betdata.io chart of movement on the Betfair exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Rhodes must fall.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited April 2019
    Carthage must be destroyed.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    He'll never get nominated, his name is too difficult to pronounce :)
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited April 2019
    fifth like Boris

The political news is a lot less interesting now that nothing is not happening with Brexit.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

The political news is a lot less interesting now that nothing is not happening with Brexit.

Indeed and PB traffic is way down. Roll on the next Brexit deadline of October 31st
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Blooming Turkish immigrants, coming over here and building our monuments. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47938188
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    I have a hunch that Note Dame will be back!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    edited April 2019
    felix said:

There is such an easy pun to be made there about bells' ends...
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

You're just a quasi comedian.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    @AlastairMeeks - thanks for sharing the Maddow interview with Buttigieg.

He’s such a refreshing candidate. He doesn’t try to entertain or talk down to his audience, and every response is fluent without being glib. Some criticise him for not getting stuck into the weeds of policy already, but there’s plenty of time for that. Despite his youth, there is something very old-fashioned in his presentation.

Go Pete :smile:
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Looking at the graph, it reminds me of the Tory contenders popping up and disappearing - like virtual particles. But the geriatric groper continues to rule (the Democratic one, I mean)
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That’s just a derivation of the old Celtic migration theory

This is a highly unfortunate way of putting it:

Between 1792 and 1806, Pitt lived at Walmer Castle, and conceived the Glen with his niece, Lady Hester Stanhope.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/16/tuesday-briefing-notre-dame-fire-we-will-rebuild

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

Indeed and PB traffic is way down. Roll on the next Brexit deadline of October 31st
    Parliament on holiday?
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

You're just a quasi comedian.
    I'd have you know that when I'm in the modo nothing can cage me.
    ydoethur said:

Between 1792 and 1806, Pitt lived at Walmer Castle, and conceived the Glen with his niece, Lady Hester Stanhope.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/16/tuesday-briefing-notre-dame-fire-we-will-rebuild

The old ways were different

As they used to say: incest is best kept in the family
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Well no, since Turks themselves are from Central Asia...
  • I think it's great that Alderman Pete / Mayor May's Gillam is running. I look forward to "that ain't right" being chanted across the country at His rallies
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Indeed yes. It's always amused me that the Book of Common Prayer exhorts the crown to 'rightly and indifferently minister justice.'
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited April 2019
    Buttigieg ideologically seems little different to Hillary in 2016, just with slicker marketing and a fresher face, that could be a problem for him in taking on the likes of Sanders, O'Rourke and Warren given 57% of Democratic primary voters according to new Ashcroft polling want a more liberal, progressive candidate and policies in 2020 to just 28% of Democrats who want another centrist moderate like Hillary

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/04/the-battle-lines-for-2020-what-my-polling-says-about-the-next-presidential-election/
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,566
    RoyalBlue said:

He’s such a refreshing candidate. He doesn’t try to entertain or talk down to his audience, and every response is fluent without being glib. Some criticise him for not getting stuck into the weeds of policy already, but there’s plenty of time for that. Despite his youth, there is something very old-fashioned in his presentation.

I think your response touches on why he might just succeed - he receives positive reviews from conservatives as well as liberals.

I think the ‘something very old-fashioned’ is natural politeness. He seems able to criticise without automatically giving offence - very much the anti-Clinton (H).

• RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Remain still solidly ahead in the most recent poll.

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1117903435725246464
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Indeed yes. It's always amused me that the Book of Common Prayer exhorts the crown to 'rightly and indifferently minister justice.'
    Government has followed the second part of that injunction ever since.
    Charles said:

Well, it appears it's *evidence* that supports (at least partially) that theory.

I fear the point has gone whistling merrily over your head. ;)

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

I was enjoying the temporary cessation of hostilities.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

Aren’t we doing what Donald Tusk fervently asked us not to? Wasting this time?
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited April 2019
    Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

I think your response touches on why he might just succeed - he receives positive reviews from conservatives as well as liberals.

I think the ‘something very old-fashioned’ is natural politeness. He seems able to criticise without automatically giving offence - very much the anti-Clinton (H).

Maddow did not ask Mayor Pete the most important question, which is why, as a US Navy officer, he was deployed to Afghanistan, a land-locked country.
  • HYUFD said:

Buttigieg ideologically seems little different to Hillary in 2016, just with slicker marketing and a fresher face, that could be a problem for him in taking on the likes of Sanders, O'Rourke and Warren given 57% of Democratic primary voters according to new Ashcroft polling want a more liberal, progressive candidate and policies in 2020 to just 28% of Democrats who want another centrist moderate like Hillary

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/04/the-battle-lines-for-2020-what-my-polling-says-about-the-next-presidential-election/

He's young, he's photogenic, he's gay. Does it matter what his policies are? This is the US Presidential race, policy doesn't matter that much.
  • Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

I don't think he will get nominated this time around but what he is setting himself up for nicely is 2024, especially if the Democrats go for a left-wing / SJW candidate who is roundly beaten by Trump. He would only be 41 the next time round.

Also interesting that, since his rise, we have been hearing less about Beto. I think Pete is a more acceptable version of what Beto stands for (youth, hope etc) and without the baggage.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

I was talking about PB, not parliament.
    We’ve already done all we can in providing solutions to the Brexit conundrum...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited April 2019

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Maddow did not ask Mayor Pete the most important question, which is why, as a US Navy officer, he was deployed to Afghanistan, a land-locked country.
    ONI.

Probably focusing on targets for the navy planes/cruise missiles.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

No, simply your “point” is meaningless and ignorant.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

I don't think he will get nominated this time around but what he is setting himself up for nicely is 2024, especially if the Democrats go for a left-wing / SJW candidate who is roundly beaten by Trump. He would only be 41 the next time round.

Also interesting that, since his rise, we have been hearing less about Beto. I think Pete is a more acceptable version of what Beto stands for (youth, hope etc) and without the baggage.
    ....and without Beto's creepily adoring wife.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

PB worked in the Kennedy Irregular Warfare Center so he was probably providing analysis to support USN SpecOps.

No, simply your point is meaningless.
    So what do you think my point is, for I fear you've misunderstood it.

Charles said:

Well, it appears it's *evidence* that supports (at least partially) that theory.
    Yes, but evidence is already well established & I think the theory is pretty commonly accepted now.

The BBC is getting breathlessly excited about old news (and the Stonehenge angle is marginal to the story despite being the headline). The earliest megaliths are In the coastal regions of Galicia and Brittany (Carnac being the best known) so it’s not surprising that they spread north from there to the UK.
  • The pictures from Notre Dame this morning are encouraging despite the dreadful fire. Of course during the restoration many works of art had been removed and apparently crowds of helpers removed many more while the fire burned overhead.

For many, including my wife and I, the pictures of the smoking and devastated inside of the Cathedral with the cross shining through the gloom will be deeply emotional and an inspiration

It reminds one of the lines in 'Abide with me'

'Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies'
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    RoyalBlue said:

For those that didn't see it on the last thread, here it is:

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1117981380258955264

He's obviously very comfortable in his own skin.
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

There are solutions?!

I wonder if the rebuilding of Notre Dame will require most of the skilled stoneworkers and woodworkers from the EU? Stonework in particular is very time-consuming to carve.

(ISTR an automated stone-carving system for freestone; essentially takes a CAD output and does either all the carving, or the majority leaving thee final touches to human hand. But I can't find a link immediately.)

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Counterterrorism intelligence officer.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

There are solutions?!

I hope not. There are always more articles need writing.

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Perhaps, so really in that case Mayor Pete needs Trump to be re elected, if Sanders beats Trump with say O'Rourke as his VP then that is probably the end of Buttigieg's presidential ambitions
  • Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

There are solutions?!

Yes. We can Brexit with No Deal or we can revoke Article 50.

Oh you wanted good solutions.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

There are solutions?!

There were, but parliament refused to vote for any of them.

The pictures from Notre Dame this morning are encouraging despite the dreadful fire. Of course during the restoration many works of art had been removed and apparently crowds of helpers removed many more while the fire burned overhead.

For many, including my wife and I, the pictures of the smoking and devastated inside of the Cathedral with the cross shining through the gloom will be deeply emotional and an inspiration

Yes - that picture is like the one of St Paul’s during WW2. Defiance amongst disaster.

300 million euros already pledged for the reconstruction by two French businessmen.
    edited April 2019

Except Remain tends to trail all the Brexit options still when you combine No Deal, Deal and SM and Customs Union BINO supoorters. Leave won narrowly when it combined all the latter, the problem it is having is now trying to keep them all together
    Cyclefree said:

The pictures from Notre Dame this morning are encouraging despite the dreadful fire. Of course during the restoration many works of art had been removed and apparently crowds of helpers removed many more while the fire burned overhead.

Yes - that picture is like the one of St Paul’s during WW2. Defiance amongst disaster.
    And it hasn't even been retouched...
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

He's young, he's photogenic, he's gay. Does it matter what his policies are? This is the US Presidential race, policy doesn't matter that much.
    Yes it does, especially in the primaries. Buttigieg could just be the Democrats' Rubio to Sanders' Trump when the activists are putting ideology first

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

There are solutions?!

Frankly, were it not for the prospect of more articles from Mr Meeks, I would be happy never to hear the word Brexit ever again.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Scott_P said:
    I'm actually visiting the palace today. Not sure it will be there in 10 years when they plan to decant.

HYUFD said:

Except Remain tends to trail all the Brexit options still when you combine No Deal, Deal and SM and Customs Union BINO supoorters. Leave won narrowly when it combined all the latter, the problem it is having is now trying to keep them all together
    There’s no ‘now’ - that was always the problem, and will continue to be so.

Most leavers seem quite determined that their particular flavour of Brexit was given an unbreachable democratic mandate three years ago, to the exclusion of all others.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

But we can only actually do one kind of Brexit.

RoyalBlue said:

For those that didn't see it on the last thread, here it is:

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1117981380258955264

He's obviously very comfortable in his own skin.
    Impressive guy. Would be credible although possibly a little young
  • HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Perhaps, so really in that case Mayor Pete needs Trump to be re elected, if Sanders beats Trump with say O'Rourke as his VP then that is probably the end of Buttigieg's presidential ambitions
    Yes, that would scupper his ambitions. Already looking forward though to a Pete-Pence contest in 2024, that would be an interesting one to say the least....
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes it does, especially in the primaries. Buttigieg could just be the Democrats' Rubio to Sanders' Trump when the activists are putting ideology first
    But that really does not seem to be the dynamic.
    Why else would most Biden and Sanders voters currently have the other as their second preference ?
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

There are solutions?!

Frankly, were it not for the prospect of more articles from Mr Meeks, I would be happy never to hear the word Brexit ever again.
    There’s merit to this approach.

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

I'm not sure that PB hot air is quite as critical to the negotiations that you seem to imply. Chill.

I wonder if the rebuilding of Notre Dame will require most of the skilled stoneworkers and woodworkers from the EU? Stonework in particular is very time-consuming to carve.

(ISTR an automated stone-carving system for freestone; essentially takes a CAD output and does either all the carving, or the majority leaving thee final touches to human hand. But I can't find a link immediately.)

Wouldn’t work for somewhere this iconic.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,053
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

To be honest, a breather and time to reflect on options while we have the Local elections, then full on Brexit vs Revoke mania for the Euros seems a fine way to manage the next six weeks.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

That was inevitable hence why Macron was right to want a short extension.
    Bad reporting of the day:

"The cathedral was built primarily of limestone, which is flammable..."

https://www.thisisinsider.com/heres-what-led-to-the-collapse-of-the-notre-dame-cathedral-2019-4
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

To be honest, a breather and time to reflect on options while we have the Local elections, then full on Brexit vs Revoke mania for the Euros seems a fine way to manage the next six weeks.
    I can see why May would want a deal before the Euro elections. Everyone else will hope to be in a stronger position after the elections.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Charles said:

They’re using it for la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona which has advanced its completion date from the middle of the next century to the middle of the next decade.
    The final sentence of this looks significant to me (though less so since the speaker will be out of power shortly):

https://twitter.com/Mina_Andreeva/status/1118052136032587776
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848
    Buttigieg has a great shot at the Dem nomination but when it comes to the General is he the best candidate to take down Bill Weld? I'm not so sure.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,725
    Haven’t read it, but it’s about polling so people may be interested

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1117735051230314497?s=21
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm actually visiting the palace today. Not sure it will be there in 10 years when they plan to decant.

I visited it last year for a posh dinner preceded by a private tour. What always strikes me is how small the Commons chamber is.
    That's good news. According to Wiki, the Rose Window at York Minster was visibly intact after the 1984 fire. Unfortunately it had cracked into thousands of pieces, had to be taken down, and restored.

"The convectional heat from the fire cracked the 7000 pieces of glass in the window in about
    40,000 places. Although severely cracked, the window remained in one piece"

https://shop.yorkminster.org/geisha/assets/files/The Principal windows.pdf
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    F1: I offered seven (or fourteen, counting each way aspects) tips on tiny stakes bets the other day.

Perez has fallen from 1501 (without boost) to 751, and Stroll has gone from 2501 to 1001. (I think it was 1751 and 3001 with boost, respectively). Still ever so slightly odds against but interesting to see such significant falls. I wonder if others have been backing Racing Point, or those drivers specifically, as both have had Azerbaijan podium results relatively recently.

Special to specially ignore:
    Hamilton get 92 wins or more by 2020, at 3.75. Those with long memories might recall I tipped Hamilton get 92 wins or more, with no time limit, at 9 last year. He requires about 17 more wins to do it this year. Not impossible, but odds against.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

There are solutions?!

There’s merit to this approach.

Given certain brexiteers dont believe leaving the EU is leaving the EU, even if with options that years ago they would have accepted as leaving the EU, I still think there's merit in the idea of revoking but just telling Baker, Francois and co that we have left. If Grieve and Bercow can be persuaded to rein in any smug self satisfaction at us remaining I think we could fool the former two and their compatriots.

Charles said:

They’re using it for la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona which has advanced its completion date from the middle of the next century to the middle of the next decade.
    My French cousin trained as a cathedral stonemason so I have an interest!
    felix said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

fifth like Boris

I'm not sure that PB hot air is quite as critical to the negotiations that you seem to imply. Chill.
    The “we” reference is to the British political class. Not us in particular.

Bad reporting of the day:

"The cathedral was built primarily of limestone, which is flammable..."

https://www.thisisinsider.com/heres-what-led-to-the-collapse-of-the-notre-dame-cathedral-2019-4

You want bad reporting? Try the Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6926257/ROBERT-HARDMAN-witnesses-inside-ravaged-Notre-Dame.html

A more ridiculous mix of hyperbole and bollocks I have never read. It was like Laura Pidcock's maiden speech only longer.

The final sentence of this looks significant to me (though less so since the speaker will be out of power shortly):

https://twitter.com/Mina_Andreeva/status/1118052136032587776

That's a dumb thing to say. Just give Orban and Poland carte Blanche to do as they wish, because we will never kick them out...
    kinabalu said:

Buttigieg has a great shot at the Dem nomination but when it comes to the General is he the best candidate to take down Bill Weld? I'm not so sure.

Very good.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    You'll all be pleased to hear that I'm leaving that other stuff behind on the last thread.

Meanwhile - last night walking home from the station I spotted a car festooned with flags. Strange, thought I, no footy tournament at the moment. On closer inspection it was some sort of UKIP campaign vehicle, complete with hand written signs and stickers. The driver looked more like the sort of person you hope won't sit next to you on the bus than golf club gammon.

End of anecdote.

Charles said:

The newer bits of the Sagrada Familia are not great, nothing like the twisted genius of the older bits.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Charles said:

Charles said:

My French cousin trained as a cathedral stonemason so I have an interest!
    If he’s French I suspect he stands a decent chance of prevailing over automation!
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Sloppy conjugaison but a decent accent especially on the vowel sounds which few Anglos get anywhere close to right.
    RoyalBlue said:

He's good and we have someone in the same vein. Javid opening up yesterday in his speech on knife crime. Searingly personal.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Great to see a header on Buttigieg. I am pleased to say I have been on the mayor since February and if he becomes POTUS I am looking at my biggest ever win.

Lot of road to go yet, and I did lay a little last night.
    kle4 said:

Very good.

:-)

Succumbed to day dreaming. "A Better America Starts Here".
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited April 2019
    One had forgotten the dross “news” TV and newspapers filled air/space with in the absence of breathless Brexit updates. The Notre Dame fire will be a godsend for “going live” updates and tortuous analogy based articles. FFS even Rachel Sylvester in The Times has had to put effort into an article which isn’t a one note “May is evil” piece.
    Charles said:

It depends on cost and timescales. For one thing, it's not as if blocks of stone are hewn from the quarry using feathers and wedges any more. I see few people having a problem with roughly carving a block for a statue, corbel, vaulting or boss or into a shape, and having a skilled mason carving the details with the usual human flourishes and imperfections.

And for unseen mass block- or woodwork, I see little issue with full automation.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But that really does not seem to be the dynamic.
    Why else would most Biden and Sanders voters currently have the other as their second preference ?
    As a large number of Biden voters are blue collar and like Sanders' style and are actually quite left economically even if more conservative socially, the Ashcroft poll shows almost 60% of Democrat voters want a liberal progressive candidate in 2020
    One thing to note about Pete Buttigieg is that people want to find out about him:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1112824468030873603

He has the opportunity to make an impression.

I essentially agree with David Herdson that his price is objectively too short right now but he has the opportunity to justify that price. While he's presenting with the assurance that he is currently mustering, his price is likely to shorten rather than to lengthen.
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

HYUFD said:

But we can only actually do one kind of Brexit.
    I think most hard Brexiteers would back a softer Brexit reluctantly over No Deal but many soft Brexiteers would prefer Remain over No Deal or a very hard Brexit
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    I've laid him back to ~0 in my book, his price is crackers - Sanders is still the front runner if Biden doesn't run, and it is a two horse race if he does.
    isam said:
    Yes, those are interesting maps, though without knowledge of local geographies difficult to interpret.

It does show that whether in Rotherham or Cambridge there were significant minorities at odds with their neighbours.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Dura_Ace said:

Sloppy conjugaison but a decent accent especially on the vowel sounds which few Anglos get anywhere close to right.
    In my limited experience gays tend to have better than average linguistic abilities. One theory is that a lifetime spent being hypersensitive to the words and behaviours of others and oneself (to avoid being discovered/attacked) makes one more likely to pick up on the small differences of spoken language that others miss. Perhaps it has something to do with differences in the brain.

Anyway, good to hear an Anglophone politician at least making the effort.
    RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

In my limited experience gays tend to have better than average linguistic abilities. One theory is that a lifetime spent being hypersensitive to the words and behaviours of others and oneself (to avoid being discovered/attacked) makes one more likely to pick up on the small differences of spoken language that others miss. Perhaps it has something to do with differences in the brain.

Anyway, good to hear an Anglophone politician at least making the effort.
    Anglophone? I thought he was an American?
This discussion has been closed.