Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. Looking back at the locals (

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. Looking back at the locals (and ahead to the Euro elections)

The Polling Matters podcast returns! Keiran Pedley and Leo Barasi look back at the local election results and look at what the EU election polling tells us about what is to come.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited May 2019
    Double 1st

I should get out more.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    edited May 2019
    > @ralphmalph said:
    > Dr Andrew Murrison takes Alistair Burts old job at the Foreign Office.

Good for him. I have a soft spot for my MP ever since he wrote a novel set in the English civil war about a fictional soldier turned MP who was at the thick of it all. Incidentally, Dr Murrison is a naval surgeon turned MP.

He was definitely a leaver, but this tweet probably explains why he is trusted to be a junior minister again
    https://twitter.com/AWMurrison/status/1125864193486458880
    https://twitter.com/AWMurrison/status/1124959558168981504
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @ralphmalph said:
    > > Dr Andrew Murrison takes Alistair Burts old job at the Foreign Office.
    >
    > Good for him. I have a soft spot for my MP ever since he wrote a novel set in the English civil war about a soldier turned MP who was at the thick of it all. Incidentally, Dr Murrison is a naval surgeon turned MP.
    >
    > He was definitely a leaver, but this tweet probably explains why he is trusted to be a junior minister again
    > https://twitter.com/AWMurrison/status/1125864193486458880
    > https://twitter.com/AWMurrison/status/1124959558168981504

Interestingly in the EU documentary just finished, Elmar Brok stated clearly that their (the EU's) biggest problem was the hard line Leaver and Remainer coalition that formed the majority. There's no doubt they wanted a deal.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Freddie Starr is found dead aged 76 at his Spanish home
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,232

[Tries to thinks of a joke to make regarding hamsters]
    [Fails: jokes not funny nor appropriate]
    [Tries to thinks of a joke to make regarding Leavers always living abroad]
    [Fails: jokes not funny nor appropriate]
    [Question: how much did this celebrity mean to me?]
    [Answer: Some memories of 70's and 80's television. Above Schnorbitz, below Les Dennis]
    [Approach: Apply appropriate amount of sympathy]

I'm sorry to hear that.
    > @viewcode said:
    > Freddie Starr is found dead aged 76 at his Spanish home
    >
    > [Tries to thinks of a joke to make regarding hamsters]
    > [Fails: jokes not funny nor appropriate]
    > [Tries to thinks of a joke to make regarding Leavers always living abroad]
    > [Fails: jokes not funny nor appropriate]
    > [Question: how much did this celebrity mean to me?]
    > [Answer: Some memories of 70's and 80's television. Above Schnorbitz, below Les Dennis]
    > [Approach: Apply appropriate amount of sympathy]
    >
    > I'm sorry to hear that.

And don't forget, no tweeting dodgy photos with racist tropes....
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    Sean_F said:

> @FF43 said:

> Chances are (of course) that I will turn up and will vote Tory. But I have pretty well reached the stage of not caring: Theresa May’s utterly useless and clueless incompetence has sucked the lifeblood from the party and this 45 plus years activist. I just want her gone. If that means Johnson or Raab, a lurch to No Deal and an early general election, let it be. David L is absolutely right - we cannot go on like this for a moment longer.

>

> I do accept the irony that not voting will accelerate her political demise. Hmmm.

>

> Conservatives still aren't near the ultimate humiliation stage of accepting every EU demand and crossing all of their red lines, which is likely to include ongoing payments, something that looks very like CFP, CAP, and FoM, actually a customs union, accepting all and every in scope future EU regulation long with CJEU oversight. This will happen whether it's May, Raab or Johnson.

>

> Leave is a minority in the UK now and almost all of that group are in denial about the realistic options available. I don't see a good outcome for your party.

Why would the Conservatives accept such demands? The Backstop would be better.

The backstop is just the prerequisite. The actual negotiations are still to happen and there's much more to them than just Ireland.

CFP (equivalent) because access to UK waters is a high priority item for Denmark, Spain and France, all of whom have a veto over the arrangement; CAP because UK farmers won't get access to their only substantial export market without it; Customs Union because of the Northern Irish land border and because car manufacturers who are in a fragile state can't function without it; also because there are WTO rules about customs unions that are somewhat binary; accepting all in scope future EU rules and EUCJ oversight because the EU won't accept close UK engagement without them and won't change the way it does things to accommodate an ex member.

It's what it is, really.

• brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Found dead by his carer at his one bed flat on the Costa del Sol.

He was a great comedian in his day but lost his fortune and UK home defending a huge legal bill.
    Scott_P said:
    A likely very electorally effective single slogan machine.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Conservative officials fear the party could come sixth in the European elections, with their support plummeting to single digits.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/09/tories-fear-dismal-results-in-european-elections-meps-say

<i>Another Conservative source said internal data showed the party could do worse than the Brexit party, Labour, the Lib Dems, Change UK and even potentially the Greens, with support at less than 10%.</i>

Conservative officials fear the party could come sixth in the European elections, with their support plummeting to single digits.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/09/tories-fear-dismal-results-in-european-elections-meps-say

Another Conservative source said internal data showed the party could do worse than the Brexit party, Labour, the Lib Dems, Change UK and even potentially the Greens, with support at less than 10%.

Certainly not impossible, some polls have them within a few % of it. I think it is a genuine fear, although funnily enough if the LDs do manage to hoover up more of the remain vote on the back of their good local results I guess that minimises the chance CUK and the Greens might do better than the Tories.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019

Another Conservative source said internal data showed the party could do worse than the Brexit party, Labour, the Lib Dems, Change UK and even potentially the Greens, with support at less than 10%.

***Cough**** Expectations management ***Cough***

Perhaps so, but you can learn a lot from the level of management to expectations that is going on. And of course as the locals prove you can do even worse than the expectations management suggested.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545

Behind Lib Dems is possible I think. Behind all of LDs, CUK and Greens unlikely. Actually coming fourth rather than sixth hardly leaves any expectations to manage.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969

Didn't someone tip the Tories to poll sub 10% at the Euros at a stonking 12/1?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I suppose the question is: if there's no incentive to launch or fund campaigns or come up with manifestos or anything, and you are (however misguidedly) labouring under the belief it's all irrelevant as they won't be taking up their seats, then why stand candidates at all?

Surely you bodyswerve the awful results by simply not taking part, and then you can pretend you'd have actually achieved any result if the whole thing wasn't so completely beneath you.
    Scott_P said:
    Appealing to both means there definitely cannot be a deal with the Tories as that does not appeal to remainers, so again, what is being discussed?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    Chelsea v Arsenal final
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    > @solarflare said:
    > I suppose the question is: if there's no incentive to launch or fund campaigns or come up with manifestos or anything, and you are (however misguidedly) labouring under the belief it's all irrelevant as they won't be taking up their seats, then why stand candidates at all?
    >
    > Surely you bodyswerve the awful results by simply not taking part, and then you can pretend you'd have actually achieved any result if the whole thing wasn't so completely beneath you.

Known as the CUK manoeuvre.
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1126603499662262272

Great thumbnail.

He’s really not impressive, is he? Getting absolutely taken apart on antisemitism.
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    edited May 2019
    English teams in 2019 European finals: 4
    Other teams in 2019 European finals: 0
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > Chelsea v Arsenal final

No one goes home empty handed. A Crackerjack pencil for every premier league club.
    Scott_P said:
    If they really wanted to brng people together they'd either accept May's deal or suggest a course of action acceptable to May and the EU and Labour. Since they are doing neither I think I'm correct in saying that he's lying to me.
    What's interesting is 4 Premier League teams in the finals of European Cup competitions, but IMO the standard of the Premier League has been poorer than in most recent years.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,921

"Spanish home ate my Freddie Starr"

Seriously, RIP.
  • English teams that finished 3rd-6th fill all the final places in Europe.

• dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Drutt said:

English teams in 2019 European finals: 4

Other teams in 2019 European finals: 0

No. of English players?
    > @dr_spyn said:
    > Mirror too excited by the football.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1126601498413162496

Sure that isn't just for their Scottish readers?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I turned on Question Time. What a fool I am.
    If there is a ruder more ignorant politician in the UK than Nigel Farage I haven't heard them.
    Jonathan said:

I turned on Question Time. What a fool I am.

You mean it was so bursting with insightful analysis and powerfully persuasive oratory it revealed to you how foolish you had been previously? Quite an endorsement.
    > @Roger said:
    > If there is a ruder more ignorant politician in the UK than Nigel Farage I haven't heard them.

You haven't been listening hard enough...there is plenty of competition at the moment.
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > Conservative officials fear the party could come sixth in the European elections, with their support plummeting to single digits.
    >
    > https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/09/tories-fear-dismal-results-in-european-elections-meps-say
    >
    > Another Conservative source said internal data showed the party could do worse than the Brexit party, Labour, the Lib Dems, Change UK and even potentially the Greens, with support at less than 10%.
    >
    > ***Cough**** Expectations management ***Cough***

Because they were so good at that in the local elections!
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:

Hamster poisoning
    I would pay good money to see pelanty hootshoots.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1126605915711393792

Is Richard Burgon digging his political grave?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    > @Jonathan said:
    > I turned on Question Time. What a fool I am.

The audience are making a lot of noise.
    > @kle4 said:
    > I turned on Question Time. What a fool I am.
    >
    > You mean it was so bursting with insightful analysis and powerfully persuasive oratory it revealed to you how foolish you had been previously? Quite an endorsement.

The erudite arguments on QT are compelling and enlightening. Brexit solved by common agreement. Refreshing.
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > What's interesting is 4 Premier League teams in the finals of European Cup competitions, but IMO the standard of the Premier League has been poorer than in most recent years.

Agreed. That this Everton side is eighth and conceded none in our four most recent games v Top Six, against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and United, winning three, really does speak volumes.
    We have been dreadful for most of the season.
    edited May 2019
    > @Roger said:
    > If there is a ruder more ignorant politician in the UK than Nigel Farage I haven't heard them.

It's a competitive field. Edit.Mr Urquhart beat me to it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    > @Jonathan said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > I turned on Question Time. What a fool I am.
    > >
    > > You mean it was so bursting with insightful analysis and powerfully persuasive oratory it revealed to you how foolish you had been previously? Quite an endorsement.
    >
    > The erudite arguments on QT are compelling and enlightening. Brexit solved by common agreement. Refreshing.
    Farage and Soubry presently shouting each other down, Rudd and Labour apparatchik Reynolds in the middle
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

I suppose the question is: if there's no incentive to launch or fund campaigns or come up with manifestos or anything, and you are (however misguidedly) labouring under the belief it's all irrelevant as they won't be taking up their seats, then why stand candidates at all?

Surely you bodyswerve the awful results by simply not taking part, and then you can pretend you'd have actually achieved any result if the whole thing wasn't so completely beneath you.

Good point. I am surprised the Cons did not take that approach. Seems all downside and no upside. Why punch yourself in the face?
    > @brendan16 said:
    >
    > Found dead by his carer at his one bed flat on the Costa del Sol.
    >
    > He was a great comedian in his day but lost his fortune and UK home defending a huge legal bill.

Mind you there are worse places to spend your last years than the Costa del Sol, RIP, he was never really to my taste but many people found him hilarious
    edited May 2019
    > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > > @ralphmalph said:
    > > > Dr Andrew Murrison takes Alistair Burts old job at the Foreign Office.
    > >
    > > Good for him. I have a soft spot for my MP ever since he wrote a novel set in the English civil war about a soldier turned MP who was at the thick of it all. Incidentally, Dr Murrison is a naval surgeon turned MP.
    > >
    > > He was definitely a leaver, but this tweet probably explains why he is trusted to be a junior minister again
    > > https://twitter.com/AWMurrison/status/1125864193486458880
    > > https://twitter.com/AWMurrison/status/1124959558168981504
    >
    > Interestingly in the EU documentary just finished, Elmar Brok stated clearly that their (the EU's) biggest problem was the hard line Leaver and Remainer coalition that formed the majority. There's no doubt they wanted a deal.

Yes, he said their sympathies were with Remainers but they were now blocking a compromise along with hard Brexiteers
    > @kinabalu said:
    > I suppose the question is: if there's no incentive to launch or fund campaigns or come up with manifestos or anything, and you are (however misguidedly) labouring under the belief it's all irrelevant as they won't be taking up their seats, then why stand candidates at all?
    >
    >
    >
    > Surely you bodyswerve the awful results by simply not taking part, and then you can pretend you'd have actually achieved any result if the whole thing wasn't so completely beneath you.
    >
    > Good point. I am surprised the Cons did not take that approach. Seems all downside and no upside. Why punch yourself in the face?

As they are standing as the party of May's Deal against the Brexit Party for No Deal and the Remainer Parties for no Brexit and Corbyn's BINO Deal
    edited May 2019

Chelsea v Arsenal final

And a final in a city with no direct flights from the UK with the indirect flights taking at least ten hours and more with stopovers in Kiev, Istanbul or Moscow. If you drive its 3 days non stop each way.

How many fans will actually make it to Baku?
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @kinabalu said:
    > > I suppose the question is: if there's no incentive to launch or fund campaigns or come up with manifestos or anything, and you are (however misguidedly) labouring under the belief it's all irrelevant as they won't be taking up their seats, then why stand candidates at all?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Surely you bodyswerve the awful results by simply not taking part, and then you can pretend you'd have actually achieved any result if the whole thing wasn't so completely beneath you.
    > >
    > > Good point. I am surprised the Cons did not take that approach. Seems all downside and no upside. Why punch yourself in the face?
    >
    > As they are standing as the party of May's Deal against the Brexit Party for No Deal and the Remainer Parties for no Brexit and Corbyn's BINO Deal

Not the snappiest slogan. And not easy to chant.
    kinabalu said:

Good point. I am surprised the Cons did not take that approach. Seems all downside and no upside. Why punch yourself in the face?
    Even worse, there's a precedent. IIRC Labour boycotted the inaugural popular EP elections in 1979.
    Watching Question TIme is a depressing experience. I remember when it used to be fairly instructive and interesting.
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Watching Question TIme is a depressing experience. I remember when it used to be fairly instructive and interesting.

It’s terrible. It holds a mirror up to us. We’re in a terrible state.
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

Even worse, there's a precedent. IIRC Labour boycotted the inaugural popular EP elections in 1979.
    Nope, they got 31.6% of the vote in 1979 (Euros).
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    If you follow @RomfordRecorder on twitter they have quite a good round up, inc video interviews w the candidates, for a tiny little council ward election tonight in Cranham

https://twitter.com/romfordrecorder/status/1126591047306551310?s=21
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,696
    Based on QT looks like a Brexit Party GAIN Northampton at the next election? :D
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @kinabalu said:
    > > I suppose the question is: if there's no incentive to launch or fund campaigns or come up with manifestos or anything, and you are (however misguidedly) labouring under the belief it's all irrelevant as they won't be taking up their seats, then why stand candidates at all?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Surely you bodyswerve the awful results by simply not taking part, and then you can pretend you'd have actually achieved any result if the whole thing wasn't so completely beneath you.
    > >
    > > Good point. I am surprised the Cons did not take that approach. Seems all downside and no upside. Why punch yourself in the face?
    >
    > As they are standing as the party of May's Deal against the Brexit Party for No Deal and the Remainer Parties for no Brexit and Corbyn's BINO Deal

That's tenuous. And if it was the case, why not campaign hard on that basis? Because they can't. "The best way to stand up for a Brexit deal is to vote in these MEPs which we don't expect to take their seats, in an election we aren't actually really trying in".

Can't see it working, still think they'd be better ignoring it completely - they can brave it out in the short term and if it's in the longer term because they failed to get May's deal through then they're not really any less fucked than they were anyway, so, meh.
    edited May 2019
    isam said:

If you follow @RomfordRecorder on twitter they have quite a good round up, inc video interviews w the candidates, for a tiny little council ward election tonight in Cranham

The residents group will walk it - they won the 3 seats 2018 local elections by a circa 2000 majority over the Tories. Yes not 2000 votes but a 2000 majority in a council ward!

Cranham as you know is arguably one of the most isolated parties places in London saved only by the 248 bus from Upminster! Not quite Biggin hill but not far off it.

> @GIN1138 said:
    > Based on QT looks like a Brexit Party GAIN Northampton at the next election? :D

It's probably just that they're the people who make the most noise.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    isam said:

If you follow @RomfordRecorder on twitter ...

I must confess that I don't!
    brendan16 said:

isam said:

The residents group will walk it. Cranham is arguably one of the most isolated parties places in London saved only by the 248 bus from Upminster! Not quite Biggin hill but not far off it.
    I went to school there and live just round the corner in Upminster
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > Based on QT looks like a Brexit Party GAIN Northampton at the next election? :D
    >
    > It's probably just that they're the people who make the most noise.

Gobshites.
    edited May 2019
    brendan16 said:

isam said:

The residents group will walk it - they won the 3 seats 2018 local elections by a circa 2000 majority over the Tories. Yes not 2000 votes but a 2000 majority in a council ward!

Cranham as you know is arguably one of the most isolated parties places in London saved only by the 248 bus from Upminster! Not quite Biggin hill but not far off it.

Biggin Hill has an airport :lol:
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @dr_spyn said:
    > https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1126605915711393792
    >
    > Is Richard Burgon digging his political grave?

He will be fine in the cess pit otherwise known as the Labour party..
    isam said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

The residents group will walk it. Cranham is arguably one of the most isolated parties places in London saved only by the 248 bus from Upminster! Not quite Biggin hill but not far off it.
    North Ockendon is probably the most isolated place in Greater London - it's actually outside the M25!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    > @brendan16 said:
    >
    > And a final in a city with no direct flights from the UK with the indirect flights taking at least ten hours and more with stopovers in Kiev, Istanbul or Moscow. If you drive its 3 days non stop each way.
    >
    > How many fans will actually make it to Baku?

We’ve got 6,000 tickets each.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    > @brendan16 said:
    >
    > And a final in a city with no direct flights from the UK with the indirect flights taking at least ten hours and more with stopovers in Kiev, Istanbul or Moscow. If you drive its 3 days non stop each way.
    >

There seems to be some doubt as to whether all the players will make it there. Arsenal were dumb enough to sign an Armenian a few years back, and obviously the Azerbaijani authorities may not let him in the country.

How much to just hold it at Wembley?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > Based on QT looks like a Brexit Party GAIN Northampton at the next election? :D

QT audiences are always pro Brexit, AQ audiences pro Remain.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    > @Endillion said:
    > > @brendan16 said:
    > > Chelsea v Arsenal final
    > >
    > > And a final in a city with no direct flights from the UK with the indirect flights taking at least ten hours and more with stopovers in Kiev, Istanbul or Moscow. If you drive its 3 days non stop each way.
    > >
    > > How many fans will actually make it to Baku?
    >
    > There seems to be some doubt as to whether all the players will make it there. Arsenal were dumb enough to sign an Armenian a few years back, and obviously the Azerbaijani authorities may not let him in the country.
    >
    > How much to just hold it at Wembley?

If they will not let him in, then Arsenal need to say they will not turn up and mean it.
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/romfordrecorder/status/1126612744072048644

Pretty good for a by-election, well done them.
    > @Floater said:
    > > @dr_spyn said:
    > > https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1126605915711393792
    > >
    > > Is Richard Burgon digging his political grave?
    >
    > He will be fine in the cess pit otherwise known as the Labour party..

To be fair, they did eventually chuck out Williamson (C, not G). Burgon may be the most at-risk MP remaining.
    edited May 2019
    tlg86 said:

> @brendan16 said:

>

>

isam said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

North Ockendon is probably the most isolated place in Greater London - it's actually outside the M25!
    Agreed - it’s probably quicker to get to Baku from Heathrow but it’s a bit smaller population what than Cranham. It’s more like Downe and those other remote villages in Bromley.

Who decided to split Ockendon in two anyway? The north gets a London bus service, freedom passes and more - the south gets lumped in Thurrock!
    > @Endillion said:
    > > @Floater said:
    > > > @dr_spyn said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1126605915711393792
    > > >
    > > > Is Richard Burgon digging his political grave?
    > >
    > > He will be fine in the cess pit otherwise known as the Labour party..
    >
    > To be fair, they did eventually chuck out Williamson (C, not G).

Suspended. He'll be back.
    > @ralphmalph said:
    > > @Endillion said:
    > > > @brendan16 said:
    > > > Chelsea v Arsenal final
    > > >
    > > > And a final in a city with no direct flights from the UK with the indirect flights taking at least ten hours and more with stopovers in Kiev, Istanbul or Moscow. If you drive its 3 days non stop each way.
    > > >
    > > > How many fans will actually make it to Baku?
    > >
    > > There seems to be some doubt as to whether all the players will make it there. Arsenal were dumb enough to sign an Armenian a few years back, and obviously the Azerbaijani authorities may not let him in the country.
    > >
    > > How much to just hold it at Wembley?
    >
    > If they will not let him in, then Arsenal need to say they will not turn up and mean it.

Him, and his family.
    > @brendan16 said:
    >
    >

I don't think the Russia - Azerbajani border is open to non nationals, and the security situation is iffy.

Turkish Airlines are fine, and Istanbul delightful for a stopover.
    > @Endillion said:
    > > @ralphmalph said:
    > > > @Endillion said:
    > > > > @brendan16 said:
    > > > > Chelsea v Arsenal final
    > > > >
    > > > > And a final in a city with no direct flights from the UK with the indirect flights taking at least ten hours and more with stopovers in Kiev, Istanbul or Moscow. If you drive its 3 days non stop each way.
    > > > >
    > > > > How many fans will actually make it to Baku?
    > > >
    > > > There seems to be some doubt as to whether all the players will make it there. Arsenal were dumb enough to sign an Armenian a few years back, and obviously the Azerbaijani authorities may not let him in the country.
    > > >
    > > > How much to just hold it at Wembley?
    > >
    > > If they will not let him in, then Arsenal need to say they will not turn up and mean it.
    >
    > Him, and his family.

Sorry no I meant the whole team.
    > @ralphmalph said:
    > > @Endillion said:
    > > > @ralphmalph said:
    > > > > @Endillion said:
    > > > > > @brendan16 said:
    > > > > > Chelsea v Arsenal final
    > > > > >
    > > > > > And a final in a city with no direct flights from the UK with the indirect flights taking at least ten hours and more with stopovers in Kiev, Istanbul or Moscow. If you drive its 3 days non stop each way.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > How many fans will actually make it to Baku?
    > > > >
    > > > > There seems to be some doubt as to whether all the players will make it there. Arsenal were dumb enough to sign an Armenian a few years back, and obviously the Azerbaijani authorities may not let him in the country.
    > > > >
    > > > > How much to just hold it at Wembley?
    > > >
    > > > If they will not let him in, then Arsenal need to say they will not turn up and mean it.
    > >
    > > Him, and his family.
    >
    > Sorry no I meant the whole team.

I think we're talking at crossed purposes - I meant the club (probably both clubs?) should refuse to play unless Azerbaijan let Mkhitaryan and his family in for the match.
    Good to see 3 year sanctions are to be abandoned.
    edited May 2019
    brendan16 said:

tlg86 said:

> @brendan16 said:

>

>

isam said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

Agreed - it’s probably quicker to get to Baku from Heathrow but it’s a bit smaller population what than Cranham. It’s more like Downe and those other remote villages in Bromley.

Who decided to split Ockendon in two anyway? The north gets a London bus service, freedom passes and more - the south gets lumped in Thurrock!
    London bus 370 serves both Ockendons! And the train station accepts Oystercard or Contactless for journeys between London and Grays.
    The ANC are currently on 6.35 million votes with 71% of districts reporting. They haven't gone below 10 million before.

https://www.elections.org.za/NPEDashboard/app/dashboard.html

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

Don't laugh, but I may have been thinking of the 1978 Parliament, which had appointed MEPs instead of popularly elected ones. We forget just how anti-European Labour was in old days.

Go on, google that... :)
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited May 2019
    > @Foxy said:
    > Turkish Airlines are fine, and Istanbul delightful for a stopover.

I think the food on Turkish Airlines is far and away the best food on any airline I've flown on. It was actually good.

However, Istanbul airport wifi is weird and annoying, for authoritarianism-related reasons.
    > @Endillion said:
    > > @ralphmalph said:
    > > > @Endillion said:
    > > > > @ralphmalph said:
    > > > > > @Endillion said:
    > > > > > > @brendan16 said:
    > > > > > > Chelsea v Arsenal final
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > And a final in a city with no direct flights from the UK with the indirect flights taking at least ten hours and more with stopovers in Kiev, Istanbul or Moscow. If you drive its 3 days non stop each way.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > How many fans will actually make it to Baku?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > There seems to be some doubt as to whether all the players will make it there. Arsenal were dumb enough to sign an Armenian a few years back, and obviously the Azerbaijani authorities may not let him in the country.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > How much to just hold it at Wembley?
    > > > >
    > > > > If they will not let him in, then Arsenal need to say they will not turn up and mean it.
    > > >
    > > > Him, and his family.
    > >
    > > Sorry no I meant the whole team.
    >
    > I think we're talking at crossed purposes - I meant the club (probably both clubs?) should refuse to play unless Azerbaijan let Mkhitaryan and his family in for the match.

I agree with this.
    > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > Turkish Airlines are fine, and Istanbul delightful for a stopover.
    >
    > I think the food on Turkish Airlines is far and away the best food on any airline I've flown on. It was actually good.
    >
    > However, Istanbul airport wifi is weird and annoying, for authoritarianism-related reasons.

When you get bad WIFI you just have to think of it as a holiday from being constantly online.
    isam said:
    Is he pro or anti threats of rape?
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

Don't laugh, but I may have been thinking of the 1978 Parliament, which had appointed MEPs instead of popularly elected ones. We forget just how anti-European Labour was in old days.

Go on, google that... :)
    I didn't Google the 1979 result, I just had my spreadsheet open. Working on another possible historical thread :)
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Can someone simplify the Euro elections for me? What’s the most powerful way, psephologically, for me to vote against the racist/nativist/closed helmets in the Brexit Party?
    _Anazina_ said:

Can someone simplify the Euro elections for me? What’s the most powerful way, psephologically, for me to vote against the racist/nativist/closed helmets in the Brexit Party?

Weep gently on the ballot paper while singing Kumbaya
    And Ukip. Really, Gerald Batten is an ugly racist tosser.
    > @_Anazina_ said:
    > And Ukip. Really, Gerald Batten is an ugly racist tosser.

Shall I put you down as a maybe for UKIP?
    edited May 2019
    There are currently no direct scheduled flights between London and Baku in the week of the final.

If you want to fly to the game on the day then a lengthy wait in somewhere like Istanbul or Kiev would be needed.

The quickest journey by air on the day of the final takes six hours 55 minutes, with the majority lasting more than 10 hours.

The only way to fly direct to Baku for the game would be to leave London on the Saturday beforehand and return a week later, three days after the trophy has been lifted.

That's an eight-day trip for 90 minutes of football - and for a game which kicks of at 11pm local time (20:00 BST), so will not finish until around 1am!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48220247

Think I'll just watch it on the telly.
    _Anazina_ said:

It depends on your region, but LD, Green or CHUK in England, Nationalist elsewhere.
    AndyJS said:

> @edmundintokyo said:

> > @Foxy said:

> > Turkish Airlines are fine, and Istanbul delightful for a stopover.

>

> I think the food on Turkish Airlines is far and away the best food on any airline I've flown on. It was actually good.

>

> However, Istanbul airport wifi is weird and annoying, for authoritarianism-related reasons.

When you get bad WIFI you just have to think of it as a holiday from being constantly online.

Hearin’
    isam said:

_Anazina_ said:

Yeah, I considered that, but it’s not going to work.

> @_Anazina_ said:

> And Ukip. Really, Gerald Batten is an ugly racist tosser.

Shall I put you down as a maybe for UKIP?

No.
    _Anazina_ said:

isam said:

_Anazina_ said:

Yeah, I considered that, but it’s not going to work.
    Cry harder
This discussion has been closed.