Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Bollocks to Brexit!” will be a net vote gainer not a vote los

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Bollocks to Brexit!” will be a net vote gainer not a vote loser for the LDs

Lots of talk over the past 24 hours about the Lib Dem slogan on one of its leaflets for the European parliament election campaign. Clearly the word “bollocks” is one that is on the very margins of what is acceptable in polite society but it does get home the message well.

Read the full story here

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,839
    Credit where it is due, the Lib Dems are crushing CHUKa's TIGgers on the remain side of the great Brexit debate.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Bollocks to Blair T shirts led to arrests. Will the same happen to Bollocks to Brexit wearers? Asking for a friend.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/hunting/girl-arrested-over-bollocks-to-blair-shirt-68779
  • GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,994
    In the short term I agree this is smart tactics, but in the longer term being a single issue party may be less smart as Brexit will eventually be resolved in some shape or form.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    It will probably help the Lib Dems in the short term by driving up turnout/support from those pro-EU. Might make things trickier later on when they're fishing in the floating voter pond and find some fish just won't bite.

Mr. Pulpstar, the Lib Dems are doing well in that contest, though it's worth recalling they're also benefiting from the CUKs underperforming.
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    Pulpstar said:

Credit where it is due, the Lib Dems are crushing CHUKa's TIGgers on the remain side of the great Brexit debate.

ChUK is such a stupid name

They should have gone with Remain Independent Party
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited May 2019
    My European Election postal vote has arrived and been returned

Given the complete stupidity of the constituencies and the electoral system used I've held my nose and voted Labour for the first time in decades

The North East has 3 seats so the result is either 2 Brexit, 1 labour or 2 labour, 1 Brexit so I'm voting to avoid the former option.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @TrèsDifficile said:
    > Credit where it is due, the Lib Dems are crushing CHUKa's TIGgers on the remain side of the great Brexit debate.
    >
    > ChUK is such a stupid name
    >
    > They should have gone with Remain Independent Party

RIP - very smart
  • BathugeoBathugeo Posts: 1
    Mike Smithson said that May's sacking of Williamson was a great idea just before the locals (she lost 1,300 seats, almost twice the worse-case predictions). Now he thinks that uncivilised language is the way for a supposedly progressive party to show how much better they are.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Pulpstar said:

ChUK is such a stupid name

They should have gone with Remain Independent Party
    Sounds like what UKIP would call themselves in a rejoin campaign.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @GarethoftheVale2 said:
    > In the short term I agree this is smart tactics, but in the longer term being a single issue party may be less smart as Brexit will eventually be resolved in some shape or form.

It's a single issue election

#Bollocks to Brexit.
    Mr. Difficile, the initials RIP would be even worse than CUK...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,555
    > @dr_spyn said:
    > Bollocks to Blair T shirts led to arrests. Will the same happen to Bollocks to Brexit wearers? Asking for a friend.
    >
    > https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/hunting/girl-arrested-over-bollocks-to-blair-shirt-68779

Let your friend know that charges were dropped:
    https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/charges-dropped-against-bollocks-to-blair-team-chase-rider-153463
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Credit where it is due, the Lib Dems are crushing CHUKa's TIGgers on the remain side of the great Brexit debate.

The main change Change UK has achieved is to make Theresa May look like a political mastermind in comparison.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Mike is probably right that the coarseness of "Bollocks To Brexit" will probably win the LDs votes. More's the pity. In this Brexit debate the (leadership of the) mainstream parties are the centrists, trying to find a way through, and the erstwhile centrists like the Lib Dems are actually the extremists.

Resolving existential binary outcomes pushes parties, factions within parties, and voters to ever-stronger positions. cf. the eclipse of the UUP & SDLP in Northern Ireland, and the SNP surge and associated Tory revival in Scotland.
    > @eek said:
    > My European Election postal vote has arrived and been returned
    >
    > Given the complete stupidity of the constituencies and the electoral system used I've held my nose and voted Labour for the first time in decades
    >
    > The North East has 3 seats so the result is either 2 Brexit, 1 labour or 2 labour, 1 Brexit so I'm voting to avoid the former option.

A Labour vote is fair enough in the North East if you're not in favour of an actual hard Brexit.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    It's an effective slogan. Though the LDs only now being rewarded for Brexit stance us weird.
    Welcome to PB, Mr. Bathugeo (your name makes you sound like a hygienic Japanese hero with his own card game).

Mr. B, still insane they were arrested in the first place.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @Pulpstar said:

That's an achievement in the same way that it'd be an achievement for me to beat my cat at chess

Mr. Difficile, the initials RIP would be even worse than CUK...

RIP MP is more appropriate for their career prospects!
    Will the speaker now need to have a word with the missus about the political party manifesto slogan if it's still adorning her car?

> @GarethoftheVale2 said:

> If people want to get rid of Farage, there is a very easy and effective way to do it.

>

> DELIVER BREXIT!

If you deliver it successfully Farage will say it's a stitch-up that is not Brexit, and if you deliver a mess, Farage will say it's because you're useless.

Appeasement doesn't work.

He will say it is not Brexit and many will agree with him. But it would not be as many as back him now because it definitely has not happened.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    I don’t like it at all, it sounds like a bad tabloid headline. Political parties should be better than that I think.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Pulpstar said:

The CUKs crushed themselves.

Anyway, Verhofstadt drawing in the crowds I see;

https://www.twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1126795323509223424
    Scott_P said:
    The talks have been very useful in angering Tories and that was their goal. The Gov has probably been obstructive, but given labour say they want to appeal to remainers and leavers clearly the talks cannot succeed as that would not appeal to remainers. So I'm sure the mps will get their wish soon.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2019
    Bathugeo said:

Mike Smithson said that May's sacking of Williamson was a great idea just before the locals (she lost 1,300 seats, almost twice the worse-case predictions).

Fisher's worse-case was -1300, which looks rather reasonable in retrospect. Also had LD best-case of +720.

Interestingly though, his range for Labour was +200 to +990.

Welcome to PB, Mr. Bathugeo (your name makes you sound like a hygienic Japanese hero with his own card game).

Mr. B, still insane they were arrested in the first place.

Over a decade back.
    Let it go.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    edited May 2019
    I think the Lib Dems should be more cautious about the use of offensive language. Only yesterday the use of an inappropriate image and caption seems to have ended a good deal of Danny Baker's career. This of course is because a left leaning person has offended both woke people and simultaneously all the people who just instinctively don't like people like Danny Baker. And who can blame them.

Quite a lot of those people don't make a lot of noise, are older, live in small towns and rural areas, don't protest, never ever use offensive language in public whether sexual slang, obscenity, scatalogical language or blasphemy/profanity. They are difficult to notice because these people are characterised by what they don't do and say. What they do all do is vote, and a lot of them have long memories.
    edited May 2019
    Postal ballot paper turns up, no meaningful information save leaflet from Brexit Party.

No information has come through the door on what lead candidates stand for, nothing on views of EU from any candidate. It is a truly rotten way of returning MEPs. Now faced with choice of spoiling ballot. Grr.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    Pulpstar said:

What on earth are Chukas mob playing at? It was always a strange idea to think that standing on a platform of keeping all the things the public dislike from the first 16 years of the century and calling it ‘Change’ was going to work, but not putting up candidates in two by elections since they formed is totally bizarre.

Soubry booed from start to finish on QT last night, preaching being civil while branding Farage racist, some change.

If I didn’t dislike them so much I’d feel sorry for them
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    Rollocks to Remain?
    edited May 2019
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > Rollocks to Remain?

Ha, Ha. Might add that to the postal vote.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,838
    edited May 2019
    > @eek said:
    >
    > Given the complete stupidity of the constituencies and the electoral system used I've held my nose and voted Labour for the first time in decades
    >
    > The North East has 3 seats so the result is either 2 Brexit, 1 labour or 2 labour, 1 Brexit so I'm voting to avoid the former option.

Yes, the right choice surely. And still counts the same, nose held or not.
    > @isam said:
    >
    > What on earth are Chukas mob playing at? It was always a strange idea to think that standing on a platform of keeping all the things the public dislike from the first 16 years of the century and calling it ‘Change’ was going to work, but not putting up candidates in two by elections since they formed is totally bizarre.
    >
    > Soubry booed from start to finish on QT last night, preaching being civil while branding Farage racist, some change.
    >
    > If I didn’t dislike them so much I’d feel sorry for them

The pro austerity, pro remain vote (Which when you stick Soubry up as a talking head is essentially what you're selling) isn't huge.
    > @isam said:
    >
    > What on earth are Chukas mob playing at? It was always a strange idea to think that standing on a platform of keeping all the things the public dislike from the first 16 years of the century and calling it ‘Change’ was going to work, but not putting up candidates in two by elections since they formed is totally bizarre.
    >
    > Soubry booed from start to finish on QT last night, preaching being civil while branding Farage racist, some change.
    >
    > If I didn’t dislike them so much I’d feel sorry for them

Perhaps you didn't notice Farage's boorishness? I suspect most TV viewers did.
    dr_spyn said:

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

> Rollocks to Remain?

Ha, Ha. Might add that to the postal vote.

Got our polling cards in the post yesterday. My brother got a BP leaflet addressed to him personally, but I didn't :(
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited May 2019
    I totally agree with Mike.

It's actually a brilliant slogan and has got people talking. It's the first time anyone since the People's March has wrestled the agenda away from Nigel Farage.

I've accordingly ordered several Bollocks to Brexit posters for my, highly visible, windows.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @algarkirk said:
    > I think the Lib Dems should be more cautious about the use of offensive language. Only yesterday the use of an inappropriate image and caption seems to have ended a good deal of Danny Baker's career. This of course is because a left leaning person has offended both woke people and simultaneously all the people who just instinctively don't like people like Danny Baker. And who can blame them.
    >
    > Quite a lot of those people don't make a lot of noise, are older, live in small towns and rural areas, don't protest, never ever use offensive language in public whether sexual slang, obscenity, scatalogical language or blasphemy/profanity. They are difficult to notice because these people are characterised by what they don't do and say. What they do all do is vote, and a lot of them have long memories.

Believe me old people, of which I am one, use profanities. > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > Rollocks to Remain?

Doesn't work. The B sound is more powerful that R and the "..ollocks" bit is not picked up by the "...emain" bit.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    > Got our polling cards in the post yesterday. My brother got a BP leaflet addressed to him personally, but I didn't :(

Same address? You'll get a different leaflet later in the campaign: a much more efficient use of the free mailshot.
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > Credit where it is due, the Lib Dems are crushing CHUKa's TIGgers on the remain side of the great Brexit debate.
    >
    > That's an achievement in the same way that it'd be an achievement for me to beat my cat at chess

:smile:

Although to be incredibly anal, it actually WOULD be a fantastic achievement of yours, beating your cat at chess, since it means you would have managed to teach it to play, however badly, and even with the most precocious of mogs that would be quite something. Would get you on This Morning, I reckon.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    > @eek said:
    >
    >

IMO there are two ways to vote in this election.
    Either you vote for who will make the best MEPs, in which case it makes sense to vote tactically, or you vote as a signal, with the aim of your side getting the best national vote share.
    I basically agree with the Labour line on Brexit, but I can't vote for a party under investigation for racism. So it's vote Tory, spoil ballot, or vote for a Remainy party

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

> Got our polling cards in the post yesterday. My brother got a BP leaflet addressed to him personally, but I didn't :(

Same address? You'll get a different leaflet later in the campaign: a much more efficient use of the free mailshot.

Ah, OK, I will wait with eager anticipation! :)

(or I could do a Rian Johnson, subverting all of your expectations by voting Green LibDem ChUK!)
    edited May 2019

Believe me old people, of which I am one, use profanities. > @Sunil_Prasannan said:

> Rollocks to Remain?

Doesn't work. The B sound is more powerful that R and the "..ollocks" bit is not picked up by the "...emain" bit.

LibDems - Spinning Here!
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    I'm on a mailing list for politics.co.uk. This is their weekly article. I think it's excellent and insightful, and there's food for thought for Leavers and Remainers alike. It's well worth 5 minutes of your time.
    https://mailchi.mp/politics/week-in-review-political-stasis-is-underpriced?e=8922a89754
    <i>"...in reality, this is what has defined Brexit for the last three years: a furiously churning status quo in which nothing actually changes. This is why you feel completely out the loop if you miss a morning's worth of Brexit news, but as if nothing has changed when you miss a month's worth."</i>
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    There's clearly a line and the word 'Bollocks' is nowhere near it.

It's 2019. Bollocks to Brexit is absolutely fine.

I mean, heck, the C word is now a total regular on GoT. Unthinkable 20 yrs ago.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    My wife and I have both voted conservative in our postal ballot today demonstrating that, notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, we remain loyal to our party in defiance of Farage, unlike many thousands of so called loyal supporters and activists who will vote for Farage, the absurd Widdecombe, and the rest of the no deal wreckers.

Our dislike and distrust of Farage gave us a thought to counter him by voting for the Lib Dems as the only party with a clear message against Farage, but the vote for our party was the only correct course for us to take

Having been loyal to TM and her deal the time has now come for TM to stand aside no later than immediately after the EU results are known which coincides with another ridiculous HOC holiday break from the 23rd May to the 4th June. TM needs to invite the election of her successor in this time and to continue as caretaker PM until a full election process has been completed including the two names sent to the members for their final decision

It does seem the ladies are on the march with McVey, Leadsom, Pritel, and no doubt Mordaunt, Truss, and others all wanting the succession
    > @kinabalu said:
    > > @Stereotomy said:
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > Credit where it is due, the Lib Dems are crushing CHUKa's TIGgers on the remain side of the great Brexit debate.
    > >
    > > That's an achievement in the same way that it'd be an achievement for me to beat my cat at chess
    >
    > :smile:
    >
    > Although to be incredibly anal, it actually WOULD be a fantastic achievement of yours, beating your cat at chess, since it means you would have managed to teach it to play, however badly, and even with the most precocious of mogs that would be quite something. Would get you on This Morning, I reckon.

Pff, you're telling me that you don't use a timer when you're playing your cat at chess? Amateur.
    "Bollocks to Brussels", Mike?
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > There's clearly a line and the word 'Bollocks' is nowhere near it.
    >
    > It's 2019. Bollocks to Brexit is absolutely fine.
    >
    > I mean, heck, the C word is now a total regular on GoT. Unthinkable 20 yrs ago.

Well, duh. No one knew who the hell Cersei was back then.
    > @Roger said:
    >
    > Perhaps you didn't notice Farage's boorishness? I suspect most TV viewers did.

He went a bit Trumpy and oddly it did not quite come off. For me, he under-performed a touch. Still an operator though. Still needs to be nobbled.
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > My wife and I have both voted conservative in our postal ballot today demonstrating that, notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, we remain loyal to our party in defiance of Farage, unlike many thousands of so called loyal supporters and activists who will vote for Farage, the absurd Widdecombe, and the rest of the no deal wreckers.
    >
    > Our dislike and distrust of Farage gave us a thought to counter him by voting for the Lib Dems as the only party with a clear message against Farage, but the vote for our party was the only correct course for us to take
    >
    > Having been loyal to TM and her deal the time has now come for TM to stand aside no later than immediately after the EU results are known which coincides with another ridiculous HOC holiday break from the 23rd May to the 4th June. TM needs to invite the election of her successor in this time and to continue as caretaker PM until a full election process has been completed including the two names sent to the members for their final decision
    >
    > It does seem the ladies are on the march with McVey, Leadsom, Pritel, and no doubt Mordaunt, Truss, and others all wanting the succession

If you want her to go, voting for the Tories seems like you're sending the wrong message. How much sympathy would you have with a Labour voter who cast their vote hoping to hasten Corbyn's departure?
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    edited May 2019
    > @Anorak said:
    > I'm on a mailing list for politics.co.uk. This is their weekly article. I think it's excellent and insightful, and there's food for thought for Leavers and Remainers alike. It's well worth 5 minutes of your time.
    > https://mailchi.mp/politics/week-in-review-political-stasis-is-underpriced?e=8922a89754
    > <i>"...in reality, this is what has defined Brexit for the last three years: a furiously churning status quo in which nothing actually changes. This is why you feel completely out the loop if you miss a morning's worth of Brexit news, but as if nothing has changed when you miss a month's worth."</i>

Good article. IMO the UK will be stuck in the current limbo until at least the next general election, which is unlikely to be before 2022. The only way the logjam could be broken is if the EU refuses another extension to A50, but, for the reasons set out in the article, I think that is unlikely.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    I'm not massively keen on the slogan, but it has the merit of clarity. In the context of EU elections when we haven't left as intended, the problem isn't the MPs or the government's handling of Brexit. The problem is Brexit itself and you need to cancel Brexit if you want that problem to go away.
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > My wife and I have both voted conservative in our postal ballot today demonstrating that, notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, we remain loyal to our party in defiance of Farage, unlike many thousands of so called loyal supporters and activists who will vote for Farage, the absurd Widdecombe, and the rest of the no deal wreckers.
    > >
    > > Our dislike and distrust of Farage gave us a thought to counter him by voting for the Lib Dems as the only party with a clear message against Farage, but the vote for our party was the only correct course for us to take
    > >
    > > Having been loyal to TM and her deal the time has now come for TM to stand aside no later than immediately after the EU results are known which coincides with another ridiculous HOC holiday break from the 23rd May to the 4th June. TM needs to invite the election of her successor in this time and to continue as caretaker PM until a full election process has been completed including the two names sent to the members for their final decision
    > >
    > > It does seem the ladies are on the march with McVey, Leadsom, Pritel, and no doubt Mordaunt, Truss, and others all wanting the succession
    >
    > If you want her to go, voting for the Tories seems like you're sending the wrong message. How much sympathy would you have with a Labour voter who cast their vote hoping to hasten Corbyn's departure?

I just cannot vote for Farage under any circumstances or the lib dems. I doubt our two votes will add much to the dreadful support the party will receive but I cannot be accused of being a fair weather supporter, as I was yesterday, when tens of thousands of conservatives will vote for Farage
    edited May 2019
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > I totally agree with Mike.
    >
    > It's actually a brilliant slogan and has got people talking. It's the first time anyone since the People's March has wrestled the agenda away from Nigel Farage.
    >
    > I've accordingly ordered several Bollocks to Brexit posters for my, highly visible, windows.

...and that's before we've seen Laura Kuenssberg trying to get her tongue round it
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @kle4 said:
    > It's an effective slogan. Though the LDs only now being rewarded for Brexit stance us weird.

I think that, somehow, the creation of TIG, with them not joining the Lib Dems, has allowed some people to move on from anger at the Coalition years. Perhaps it's that the futility of trying to create a new centrist party when one already exists has shown people the futility of making decisions about the future based solely on the past.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited May 2019

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

That approach also suggests that BP have got people behind the scenes running the show who actually know what they’re doing.

Edit. I did say PB originally, and there’s definitely a few good people behind the scenes here. :)
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > There's clearly a line and the word 'Bollocks' is nowhere near it.
    >
    > It's 2019. Bollocks to Brexit is absolutely fine.
    >
    > I mean, heck, the C word is now a total regular on GoT. Unthinkable 20 yrs ago.

People still get dismissed for using such language at work.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    Cracking result for the tories in East Lothian.

East Lothian – Haddington and Lammermuir
    Related Articles

Local elections: The Conservative/Labour battlegrounds
    Council by-election result from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    “I wish recess could have gone on another ten days”: Tory councillors finally get the chance to talk about local issues
    Council by-election results from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    Council by-election result from yesterday and forthcoming contests

Conservatives 2,212 (35.0 per cent, +6.0 on 2017) SNP 1,866 (29.5 per cent, +3.5) Labour 1,359 (21.5 per cent, -12.2) Lib Dems 774 (12.2 per cent, +5) UKIP 108 (1.7 per cent, +1.7)

Conservatives hold
    Sandpit said:

> @Sunil_Prasannan said:

That approach also suggests that PB have got people behind the scenes running the show who actually know what they’re doing.
    PB ?
    Given the current Vanilla status, that is arguable...
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited May 2019
    Is a political party able to use swear words in its campaign slogan? Because it is something of a slippery slope - what's stopping UKIP using "F*ck EU!" (Including the * obviously) as a slogan for example (the brexit party wouldn't want to use it because they are not in need of the publicity and don't want that kind of image, but ukip could probably do with a slogan like that at this point)

It's certainly a good slogan in political terms, headline grabbing, just on the right side of controversial, every day that we discuss it is another day we talk about the LDs. But yes, it is a bit juvenile and as someone else has pointed out already, comes across as being a bit "edgy" for the sake of it.
    > > @Stereotomy said:
    > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > My wife and I have both voted conservative in our postal ballot today demonstrating that, notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, we remain loyal to our party in defiance of Farage, unlike many thousands of so called loyal supporters and activists who will vote for Farage, the absurd Widdecombe, and the rest of the no deal wreckers.
    > > >
    > > > Our dislike and distrust of Farage gave us a thought to counter him by voting for the Lib Dems as the only party with a clear message against Farage, but the vote for our party was the only correct course for us to take
    > > >
    > > > Having been loyal to TM and her deal the time has now come for TM to stand aside no later than immediately after the EU results are known which coincides with another ridiculous HOC holiday break from the 23rd May to the 4th June. TM needs to invite the election of her successor in this time and to continue as caretaker PM until a full election process has been completed including the two names sent to the members for their final decision
    > > >
    > > > It does seem the ladies are on the march with McVey, Leadsom, Pritel, and no doubt Mordaunt, Truss, and others all wanting the succession
    > >
    > > If you want her to go, voting for the Tories seems like you're sending the wrong message. How much sympathy would you have with a Labour voter who cast their vote hoping to hasten Corbyn's departure?
    >
    > I just cannot vote for Farage under any circumstances or the lib dems. I doubt our two votes will add much to the dreadful support the party will receive but I cannot be accused of being a fair weather supporter, as I was yesterday, when tens of thousands of conservatives will vote for Farage

Weren't you CUK-curious at one point?

I get it though, if your view is that a compromise position on Brexit is necessary and you're anti-Labour, that really doesn't leave you anywhere to go except the Tories. A spoilt ballot is an option, though!
    > @felix said:
    > Cracking result for the tories in East Lothian.
    >
    > East Lothian – Haddington and Lammermuir
    > Related Articles
    >
    > Local elections: The Conservative/Labour battlegrounds
    > Council by-election result from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    > “I wish recess could have gone on another ten days”: Tory councillors finally get the chance to talk about local issues
    > Council by-election results from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    >
    > Conservatives 2,212 (35.0 per cent, +6.0 on 2017) SNP 1,866 (29.5 per cent, +3.5) Labour 1,359 (21.5 per cent, -12.2) Lib Dems 774 (12.2 per cent, +5) UKIP 108 (1.7 per cent, +1.7)
    >
    > Conservatives hold

Ruth's strong pro Union stance proving popular. Dreadful for labour
    looks like the > @felix said:
    > Cracking result for the tories in East Lothian.
    >
    > East Lothian – Haddington and Lammermuir
    > Related Articles
    >
    > Local elections: The Conservative/Labour battlegrounds
    > “I wish recess could have gone on another ten days”: Tory councillors finally get the chance to talk about local issues
    > Council by-election results from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    >
    > Conservatives 2,212 (35.0 per cent, +6.0 on 2017) SNP 1,866 (29.5 per cent, +3.5) Labour 1,359 (21.5 per cent, -12.2) Lib Dems 774 (12.2 per cent, +5) UKIP 108 (1.7 per cent, +1.7)
    >
    > Conservatives hold

Looks like the Scottish Labour surge is gathering....er -12.5% Oops.
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1126814023620677632

Very wise. Never advertise your competitors. Rule1
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    isam said:
    Clever video, thanks for posting. I loathe Momentum but you have to hand it to them: they have some whip smart kids on the social media front.
    > @felix said:
    > looks like the > @felix said:
    > > Cracking result for the tories in East Lothian.
    > >
    > > East Lothian – Haddington and Lammermuir
    > > Related Articles
    > >
    > > Local elections: The Conservative/Labour battlegrounds
    > > Council by-election result from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    > > “I wish recess could have gone on another ten days”: Tory councillors finally get the chance to talk about local issues
    > > Council by-election results from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    > > Council by-election result from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    > >
    > > Conservatives 2,212 (35.0 per cent, +6.0 on 2017) SNP 1,866 (29.5 per cent, +3.5) Labour 1,359 (21.5 per cent, -12.2) Lib Dems 774 (12.2 per cent, +5) UKIP 108 (1.7 per cent, +1.7)
    > >
    > > Conservatives hold
    >
    > Looks like the Scottish Labour surge is gathering....er -12.5% Oops.

Don't tell Justin
    > > @felix said:
    > > looks like the > @felix said:
    > > > Cracking result for the tories in East Lothian.
    > > >
    > > > East Lothian – Haddington and Lammermuir
    > > > Related Articles
    > > >
    > > > Local elections: The Conservative/Labour battlegrounds
    > > > Council by-election result from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    > > > “I wish recess could have gone on another ten days”: Tory councillors finally get the chance to talk about local issues
    > > > Council by-election results from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    > > > Council by-election result from yesterday and forthcoming contests
    > > >
    > > > Conservatives 2,212 (35.0 per cent, +6.0 on 2017) SNP 1,866 (29.5 per cent, +3.5) Labour 1,359 (21.5 per cent, -12.2) Lib Dems 774 (12.2 per cent, +5) UKIP 108 (1.7 per cent, +1.7)
    > > >
    > > > Conservatives hold
    > >
    > > Looks like the Scottish Labour surge is gathering....er -12.5% Oops.
    >
    > Don't tell Justin

I think he is studiously focusing on the bad language of the LDs right now.
    Roger said:

> @Mysticrose said:

> I totally agree with Mike.

>

> It's actually a brilliant slogan and has got people talking. It's the first time anyone since the People's March has wrestled the agenda away from Nigel Farage.

>

> I've accordingly ordered several Bollocks to Brexit posters for my, highly visible, windows.

...and that's before we've seen Laura Kuenssberg trying to get her tongue round it

It's a simple and effective slogan but isn't it stolen? My memory is that the Pimlico Plumbers bloke used it on his ads before the Liberals co-opted it?
    > @Stereotomy said:

> Pff, you're telling me that you don't use a timer when you're playing your cat at chess? Amateur.

Ah, all becomes clear.

No, mine gets stressed out by that. Insists that it's against the spirit of the game.

Cats eh.
  • RightChuckRightChuck Posts: 110
    "Bollocks to 17.4m people (the majority). Because we're democrats."
    > @_Anazina_ said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    > > I totally agree with Mike.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It's actually a brilliant slogan and has got people talking. It's the first time anyone since the People's March has wrestled the agenda away from Nigel Farage.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I've accordingly ordered several Bollocks to Brexit posters for my, highly visible, windows.
    >
    >
    >
    > ...and that's before we've seen Laura Kuenssberg trying to get her tongue round it
    >
    > It's a simple and effective slogan but isn't it stolen? My memory is that the Pimlico Plumbers bloke used it on his ads before the Liberals co-opted it?

There is surely a bar chart they've got somewhere to prove your memory is at fault.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Weren't you CUK-curious at one point?

:o

Please, it’s before the watershed.
    > @_Anazina_ said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It's actually a brilliant slogan and has got people talking. It's the first time anyone since the People's March has wrestled the agenda away from Nigel Farage.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I've accordingly ordered several Bollocks to Brexit posters for my, highly visible, windows.
    >
    >
    >
    > ...and that's before we've seen Laura Kuenssberg trying to get her tongue round it
    >
    > It's a simple and effective slogan but isn't it stolen? My memory is that the Pimlico Plumbers bloke used it on his ads before the Liberals co-opted it?

Stealing well is the second law of advertising
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1126814023620677632

This is why the Lib Dems are polling so badly in a European election they should be coming 1st or 2nd in. Cant be trusted.
    edited May 2019
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > > > @Stereotomy said:
    > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > My wife and I have both voted conservative in our postal ballot today demonstrating that, notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, we remain loyal to our party in defiance of Farage, unlike many thousands of so called loyal supporters and activists who will vote for Farage, the absurd Widdecombe, and the rest of the no deal wreckers.
    > > > >
    > > > > Our dislike and distrust of Farage gave us a thought to counter him by voting for the Lib Dems as the only party with a clear message against Farage, but the vote for our party was the only correct course for us to take
    > > > >
    > > > > Having been loyal to TM and her deal the time has now come for TM to stand aside no later than immediately after the EU results are known which coincides with another ridiculous HOC holiday break from the 23rd May to the 4th June. TM needs to invite the election of her successor in this time and to continue as caretaker PM until a full election process has been completed including the two names sent to the members for their final decision
    > > > >
    > > > > It does seem the ladies are on the march with McVey, Leadsom, Pritel, and no doubt Mordaunt, Truss, and others all wanting the succession
    > > >
    > > > If you want her to go, voting for the Tories seems like you're sending the wrong message. How much sympathy would you have with a Labour voter who cast their vote hoping to hasten Corbyn's departure?
    > >
    > > I just cannot vote for Farage under any circumstances or the lib dems. I doubt our two votes will add much to the dreadful support the party will receive but I cannot be accused of being a fair weather supporter, as I was yesterday, when tens of thousands of conservatives will vote for Farage
    >
    > Weren't you CUK-curious at one point?
    >
    > I get it though, if your view is that a compromise position on Brexit is necessary and you're anti-Labour, that really doesn't leave you anywhere to go except the Tories. A spoilt ballot is an option, though!

Yes I was but CUK have fallen off my radar. It was at the time the ERG went over the top and wanted (and still want) an economic armageddon. I believe TM achieved a good deal and I still support it but TM has lost her authority and the party needs a new leader though elected properly. I would not spoil my ballot paper, it is something beyond me why people do
    > @RightChuck said:
    > "Bollocks to 17.4m people (the majority). Because we're democrats."

Agree - I'm also not convinced parading Guy Verhofstadt is the wisest move. I'm a remain supporter but he is a total tit. I'm using the new freedom of language edict from on high today as you can see.
    felix said:

> @_Anazina_ said:

> > @Mysticrose said:

>

>

> >

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

There is surely a bar chart they've got somewhere to prove your memory is at fault.

:smiley:
    > My wife and I have both voted conservative in our postal ballot today demonstrating that, notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, we remain loyal to our party in defiance of Farage, unlike many thousands of so called loyal supporters and activists who will vote for Farage, the absurd Widdecombe, and the rest of the no deal wreckers.
    >
    > Our dislike and distrust of Farage gave us a thought to counter him by voting for the Lib Dems as the only party with a clear message against Farage, but the vote for our party was the only correct course for us to take
    >
    > Having been loyal to TM and her deal the time has now come for TM to stand aside no later than immediately after the EU results are known which coincides with another ridiculous HOC holiday break from the 23rd May to the 4th June. TM needs to invite the election of her successor in this time and to continue as caretaker PM until a full election process has been completed including the two names sent to the members for their final decision
    >
    > It does seem the ladies are on the march with McVey, Leadsom, Pritel, and no doubt Mordaunt, Truss, and others all wanting the succession

Must surely use the summer recess to run a leadership contest, don't you think?

Window of opportunity there, assuming they can get her to play ball.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    > @Roger said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1126814023620677632
    >
    > Very wise. Never advertise your competitors. Rule1

Indeed!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Well - all i can say is that their Brexit stance cost them my vote in the locals

I really like their candidate for Colchester - but a remainer party is not getting my vote.
    > @kinabalu said:
    > > My wife and I have both voted conservative in our postal ballot today demonstrating that, notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, we remain loyal to our party in defiance of Farage, unlike many thousands of so called loyal supporters and activists who will vote for Farage, the absurd Widdecombe, and the rest of the no deal wreckers.
    > >
    > > Our dislike and distrust of Farage gave us a thought to counter him by voting for the Lib Dems as the only party with a clear message against Farage, but the vote for our party was the only correct course for us to take
    > >
    > > Having been loyal to TM and her deal the time has now come for TM to stand aside no later than immediately after the EU results are known which coincides with another ridiculous HOC holiday break from the 23rd May to the 4th June. TM needs to invite the election of her successor in this time and to continue as caretaker PM until a full election process has been completed including the two names sent to the members for their final decision
    > >
    > > It does seem the ladies are on the march with McVey, Leadsom, Pritel, and no doubt Mordaunt, Truss, and others all wanting the succession
    >
    > Must surely use the summer recess to run a leadership contest, don't you think?
    >
    > Window of opportunity there, assuming they can get her to play ball.

I want it before to be honest but that would be the latest
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited May 2019
    > @RightChuck said:
    > "Bollocks to 17.4m people (the majority). Because we're democrats."

You know, for certain, do you, that all those 17.4 million are still of the view that they were 3 years ago?
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > @Roger said:
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1126814023620677632
    > >
    > > Very wise. Never advertise your competitors. Rule1
    >
    > Indeed!

It is absolutely an error to advertise competitors. Fundamental to all successful businesses
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2019
    > @rottenborough said:
    > It's much higher than that Donald!

Tuskie's estimate roughly agrees with the Betfair A50 revoke market - although I suppose there's a small chance of a Brexiteer PM trying a revoke and reinvoke.
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @RightChuck said:
    > > "Bollocks to 17.4m people (the majority). Because we're democrats."
    >
    > You know, for certain, do you, that all those 17.4 million are still of the view that they were 3 years ago?

Pointless potd.
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > There's clearly a line and the word 'Bollocks' is nowhere near it.
    > >
    > > It's 2019. Bollocks to Brexit is absolutely fine.
    > >
    > > I mean, heck, the C word is now a total regular on GoT. Unthinkable 20 yrs ago.
    >
    > People still get dismissed for using such language at work.

Bloody hell - you should the language used in my office - and that's just the ladies :-)
    > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > > @Roger said:
    > > > > @Scott_P said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1126814023620677632
    > > >
    > > > Very wise. Never advertise your competitors. Rule1
    > >
    > > Indeed!
    >
    > It is absolutely an error to advertise competitors. Fundamental to all successful businesses

Why would May legitimise Corbyn then?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited May 2019
    > @Floater said:
    > Well - all i can say is that their Brexit stance cost them my vote in the locals
    >
    > I really like their candidate for Colchester - but a remainer party is not getting my vote.

I really don't get why people vote on national issues at a local level - > @Freggles said:
    > > @eek said:
    > > My European Election postal vote has arrived and been returned
    > >
    > > Given the complete stupidity of the constituencies and the electoral system used I've held my nose and voted Labour for the first time in decades
    > >
    > > The North East has 3 seats so the result is either 2 Brexit, 1 labour or 2 labour, 1 Brexit so I'm voting to avoid the former option.
    >
    > IMO there are two ways to vote in this election.
    > Either you vote for who will make the best MEPs, in which case it makes sense to vote tactically, or you vote as a signal, with the aim of your side getting the best national vote share.
    > I basically agree with the Labour line on Brexit, but I can't vote for a party under investigation for racism. So it's vote Tory, spoil ballot, or vote for a Remainy party

In which case the vote is wasted as unless a party gets 16-20% of the vote in the North East they are not going to win a seat (remember I stated that the electoral system being used is stupid)...

Were I in London with 10 seats (and where parties winning 8% or so of the vote get a seat) then yes I would vote for a remainy party. Up north it's a wasted vote....

As I've already posted the 2 possible outcomes are pre-determined here. All you can do is either protest or select which side you wish to be on. I could never vote for Farage so Labour (even with all the problems it has) is the only option.
    > Yes I was but CUK have fallen off my radar. It was at the time the ERG went over the top and wanted (and still want) an economic armageddon. I believe TM achieved a good deal and I still support it but TM has lost her authority and the party needs a new leader though elected properly. I would not spoil my ballot paper, it is something beyond me why people do

Actually I probably wouldn't spoil a ballot either, I just wouldn't vote.

I actually think abstaining can be a sensible thing to do. Being loyal to a party as it drifts away from you is like being loyal to a company as they raise their prices or lower the quality of their product. All it does is encourage them not to take you into account. "Eh, don't worry about the moderates, they'll turn up and put their X in our box. It's the extremists who might go on strike, we have to make sure they're happy."

Your vote is the only tiny sliver of power you have in the democratic system. "Loyalty" just means surrendering that power and getting nothing in return.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    "Very wise. Never advertise your competitors. Rule1"
    An exception to prove the rule could be Corbyn/McDonnell for the Tories (and also for the BP btw).
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    I have a lot of respect for your posts Mr F, but if you think that it is a "bit of a stretch" you are deluding yourself. I am a centrist Tory, so I don't throw around the "fascist" word indiscriminately like those on the left, but I have no doubt that Farage appears to meet most if not all those criteria, and very much glorifies in them. It is then an argument as to whether Eco's criteria are indeed what they purport to be, rather than Farage's adherence to them.

As for the views of Brexit supporters, they are by no means a unified opinion, but glorifying militarism (WW2 obsession), obsessing about plots (numerous examples of paranoia about remainers, EU etc.) , admire action for its own sake (Brexit is exactly this), then these criteria seem to be pretty common place amongst those that are its most extreme/ardent advocates. As for the Enlightenment, I fear our limited education system means that most voters, let alone Brexit supporters, have never heard of it, and if they have, probably regard it as a foreign construct.

A vote for Farage is a vote for fascist values.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited May 2019

My wife and I have both voted conservative in our postal ballot today demonstrating that, notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, we remain loyal to our party in defiance of Farage, unlike many thousands of so called loyal supporters and activists who will vote for Farage, the absurd Widdecombe, and the rest of the no deal wreckers.

Our dislike and distrust of Farage gave us a thought to counter him by voting for the Lib Dems as the only party with a clear message against Farage, but the vote for our party was the only correct course for us to take

Having been loyal to TM and her deal the time has now come for TM to stand aside no later than immediately after the EU results are known which coincides with another ridiculous HOC holiday break from the 23rd May to the 4th June. TM needs to invite the election of her successor in this time and to continue as caretaker PM until a full election process has been completed including the two names sent to the members for their final decision

It does seem the ladies are on the march with McVey, Leadsom, Pritel, and no doubt Mordaunt, Truss, and others all wanting the succession

One out of two Big G. Well done for voting Cons but May should go nowhere. No one else could improve, change, reject, or replace her deal so we may as well stick with her.
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > Weren't you CUK-curious at one point?
    >
    >
    > :o
    >
    > Please, it’s before the watershed.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have kept using that shortening partially because I think it's funny that they gave themselves such an embarrassing acronym, but I didn't really think about how in the context of my comment that could come across as making fun of Big_G rather than Change UK. That wasn't my intention.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @RightChuck said:
    > > "Bollocks to 17.4m people (the majority). Because we're democrats."
    >
    > You know, for certain, do you, that all those 17.4 million are still of the view that they were 3 years ago?

Brexiters don't know; that is why they are frit of a further referendum. If they were confident they would be calling for it.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited May 2019
    How about some alternatives, if bollocks is too much (it isn't)?

Bums to Brexit
    Butt out, Brexit!
    Brexit's a bitch
    Brexit: gone for a burton?
    Bullocks to Brexit
    Brexit: bizarre buzzword?
    Barbarous balderdash bombshell Brexi....I think you get the idea with that.
This discussion has been closed.