Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Andy Warhol was wrong, in the future everyone will stand to be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Andy Warhol was wrong, in the future everyone will stand to be Tory leader

I am running to be Conservative Party leader and Prime Minister – go to https://t.co/MShWaI9qmR to join the journey of national renewal. #BackSamsPlan pic.twitter.com/7mVkytZAm6

Read the full story here

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    Definitely not first.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,398
    It's good everyone is running. If two dozen run then around 1-2 will have actual ideas, not just slogans and an upbeat attitude.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    > @Nigelb said:
    > Definitely not first.

You're not the first to be wrong about being first you know.
    > @kle4 said:
    > It's good everyone is running. If two dozen run then around 1-2 will have actual ideas, not just slogans and an upbeat attitude.

And will likely be eliminated in the first couple of rounds...
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2019
    > @Omnium said:
    > > @Nigelb said:
    > > Definitely not first.
    >
    > You're not the first to be wrong about being first you know.

Though if I had been referring to the redoubtable Mr. Gyimah’s chances...

(And I was relying on TSE’s known fondness for modesty to persuade him not to manipulate the results this time.)
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    Nigelb said:

Definitely not first.

Wrong again Nigel
    > @Nigelb said:
    > > @Omnium said:
    > > > @Nigelb said:
    > > > Definitely not first.
    > >
    > > You're not the first to be wrong about being first you know.
    >
    > Though if I had been referring to the redoubtable Mr. Gyimah’s chances...
    >
    >

You'd not be the last to condemn him to last place.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    > @Nigelb said:
    > Definitely not first.

Correct, you were zeroth.
    Big over in the cricket.
    Appeal overturned on review, and 15 runs...
    Nigelb said:

> @kle4 said:

> It's good everyone is running. If two dozen run then around 1-2 will have actual ideas, not just slogans and an upbeat attitude.

And will likely be eliminated in the first couple of rounds...

But it'll be there for the record at least.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Hi TSE -- you should have been here last night -- we were all watching a football match that BT streamed live on Youtube.
    If my maths are correct, with 13 candidates and 313 MPs you would need at least 24 votes to guarantee not being knocked out in the first round.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    > @AndyJS said:
    > If my maths are correct, with 13 candidates and 313 MPs you would need at least 24 votes to guarantee not being knocked out in the first round.

In 1997 there was a tie and the first round had to be rerun because Davis and Ancram refused to drop out. There must be a good chance of another tie this time.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @Nigelb said:
    > Definitely not first.

Bit like the tories then....
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > Hi TSE -- you should have been here last night -- we were all watching a football match that BT streamed live on Youtube.

That's not really his bag, to be honest.
    > @malcolmg said:
    > Definitely not first.
    >
    > Wrong again Nigel

You’re late to the party, malcolm.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Too many of the candidates want to be and too few want to do.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Re dropping out. After last time when Theresa May won by default after everyone else dropped out, I suspect even candidates with fewer votes than declared supporters will be tempted to hang around and see what happens.

If Boris had done that in 2016, he might well be the prime minister meeting President Trump. Likewise Andrea Leadsom.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    NF Simpson's play "A resounding tinkle" (1957) starts with a knock on the door.

Mrs Paradock goes .. to answer the knock. ..
    Mrs Paradock There's somebody at the door wanting you to form a government
    Bro Paradock looks at her in astonishment. Several seconds elapse.
    Mr Paradock What does he look like?
    Mrs Paradock He says he's working through the street directory.
    Pause

Simpson was a leading exponent of the "theatre of absurd".
    62 years ahead of his time.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

Re dropping out. After last time when Theresa May won by default after everyone else dropped out, I suspect even candidates with fewer votes than declared supporters will be tempted to hang around and see what happens.

If Boris had done that in 2016, he might well be the prime minister meeting President Trump. Likewise Andrea Leadsom.

That is a very strange characterisation of what happened. She didn't 'win by default' she won a second ballot so overwhelmingly that the second placed candidate withdrew.

No way would Boris have made the final two. That's why he didn't stand.
    edited June 2019
    Apparently Steve Baker is still considering whether to stand.

twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1134537560691290112
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,920
    I can confirm that I am NOT running for Tory leader :)
    AndyJS said:

Apparently Steve Baker is still considering whether to stand.

If he does it will definitely be a dough moment.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    > @ydoethur said:
    > Re dropping out. After last time when Theresa May won by default after everyone else dropped out, I suspect even candidates with fewer votes than declared supporters will be tempted to hang around and see what happens.
    >
    >
    >
    > If Boris had done that in 2016, he might well be the prime minister meeting President Trump. Likewise Andrea Leadsom.
    >
    > That is a very strange characterisation of what happened. She didn't 'win by default' she won a second ballot so overwhelmingly that the second placed candidate withdrew.
    >
    > No way would Boris have made the final two. That's why he didn't stand.

Your reckon? I always thought it odd that Boris dropped out because of Gove. It might have been close, but surely leadsom's support was boosted greatly by Boris dropping out.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Can I suggest a PB poll on the Conservative contenders.

It might be fun to compare what we think with what Conservative MPs think.
    tlg86 said:

Your reckon? I always thought it odd that Boris dropped out because of Gove. It might have been close, but surely leadsom's support was boosted greatly by Boris dropping out.

I don't think he would have done even if he had been the sole Leaver candidate. He was too mistrusted and too disliked, which is why Gove stood against him. Also, they had the horrible warning of Corbyn as to what happens when disorganised populists beloved of the grassroots who are simply not up to it become leader. Corbyn has since of course changed that narrative.

By deciding not to stand, he built up a Brown-style dolschstoss myth that really it was his time and that nasty Gove stole it from him.

But in any case, the point is irrelevant. May won because she had the support of as near as dammit 2/3 of the PCP on the second ballot and Boris would not have changed that.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > Too many of the candidates want to be and too few want to do.

Sounding a bit Tony there.

It is getting rather silly now. I think there ought to be the equivalent of lost deposit in order to discourage frivolous standing.

Something like - if you stand and don't make the final 20 you have to resign your seat and spend the first 6 months of your enforced inactivity watching CH 4 news on a loop.
    kinabalu said:

> @AlastairMeeks said:

> Too many of the candidates want to be and too few want to do.

Sounding a bit Tony there.

It is getting rather silly now. I think there ought to be the equivalent of lost deposit in order to discourage frivolous standing.

Something like - if you stand and don't make the final 20 you have to resign your seat and spend the first 6 months of your enforced inactivity watching CH 4 news on a loop.

Blimey. You don't mess about when it comes to torture, do you?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    > @another_richard said:
    > Can I suggest a PB poll on the Conservative contenders.
    >
    > It might be fun to compare what we think with what Conservative MPs think.

Gove for me
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969

I'm voting for Rory.

He's been endorsed by Ken Clarke and that's good enough for me.

However I expect he won't make it to the final two so I'd back Gove.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Gyimah is 410/1000 on Betfair, which is probably about right.
    > @ydoethur said:
    > Your reckon? I always thought it odd that Boris dropped out because of Gove. It might have been close, but surely leadsom's support was boosted greatly by Boris dropping out.
    >
    > I don't think he would have done even if he had been the sole Leaver candidate. He was too mistrusted and too disliked, which is why Gove stood against him. Also, they had the horrible warning of Corbyn as to what happens when disorganised populists beloved of the grassroots who are simply not up to it become leader. Corbyn has since of course changed that narrative.
    >
    > By deciding not to stand, he built up a Brown-style dolschstoss myth that really it was his time and that nasty Gove stole it from him.
    >
    > But in any case, the point is irrelevant. May won because she had the support of as near as dammit 2/3 of the PCP on the second ballot and Boris would not have changed that.

I thought Leadsom dropped out after she said something about being a mother?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > @another_richard said:
    > > Can I suggest a PB poll on the Conservative contenders.
    > >
    > > It might be fun to compare what we think with what Conservative MPs think.
    >
    > Gove for me

Are you willing to keep the tally ?

Hi TSE -- you should have been here last night -- we were all watching a football match that BT streamed live on Youtube.

A big shout out to Spurs, they were magnificent as were their fans.

Spurs are where we were last year, after losing the Champions League final we went and backed Jurgen Klopp and spent £176 million improving the squad and look at us today.

Daniel Levy needs to get his chequebook out and back Poch.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    > @another_richard said:
    >

Is it just for PB Conservative members or for all PB peeps?
    > @ydoethur said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    >
    > > Too many of the candidates want to be and too few want to do.
    >
    >
    >
    > Sounding a bit Tony there.
    >
    >
    >
    > It is getting rather silly now. I think there ought to be the equivalent of lost deposit in order to discourage frivolous standing.
    >
    >
    >
    > Something like - if you stand and don't make the final 20 you have to resign your seat and spend the first 6 months of your enforced inactivity watching CH 4 news on a loop.
    >
    > Blimey. You don't mess about when it comes to torture, do you?

Well for a Tory I think that is indeed whips and chains.

Love it myself obviously, although Snow needs to hang up his whatevers now before he soils his ... legacy.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040
    This is some thread. Are we at a FPTP tipping point:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1135146694121840641
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > >
    >
    > Gove for me

Snap. Head and shoulders.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040
    > @kinabalu said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > @another_richard said:
    > > > Can I suggest a PB poll on the Conservative contenders.
    > > >
    > > > It might be fun to compare what we think with what Conservative MPs think.
    > >
    > > Gove for me
    >
    > Snap. Head and shoulders.

Rory for me.

But I would take Gove of the likely Brexiteer front runners. He at least seems capable of being PM.
    kinabalu said:

I disagree. It seems to me that by setting the limit at a mere two nominations the whole point of the Tory rules is to allow for as wide a pool as possible, and it seems rather strange that some are griping that such a wide pool has emerged. They can allow for such a wide pool precisely because their rules are about chopping them down to two before asking the members, and it is easy enough to expedite the votes a bit if there really are so many candidates.
    edited June 2019
    They could bring in a rule saying any candidate with less than 5% in the first round automatically gets knocked out, which would be less than 16 MPs. But I think it's more likely informal pressure will be used to persuade those candidates to drop out rather than changing the rules.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,399
    > @another_richard said:
    >

McVey all the way.

This is easiest done by using the otherwise pointless "Like" button.
    I'll simply put up the names in a sequence of posts and anyone who wants to vote simply "likes" that post.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    > @kinabalu said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > @another_richard said:
    > > > Can I suggest a PB poll on the Conservative contenders.
    > > >
    > > > It might be fun to compare what we think with what Conservative MPs think.
    > >
    > > Gove for me
    >
    > Snap. Head and shoulders.

Gove for me as well. He strikes me as the only one with the ability to get us out of the EU in the face of the huge Parliamentary opposition at the moment.

It's an interesting possibility. The gut says no, and there have been false dawns before, but for the first time in a long time the psycological effect that he outlines makes the potential not seem absurd, particularly with the chance the current shift in political thinking might be sustained.
    Boris Johnson
    Jeremy Hunt
    Dominic Raab
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm voting for Rory.
    >
    > He's been endorsed by Ken Clarke and that's good enough for me.
    >
    > However I expect he won't make it to the final two so I'd back Gove.

Are you really a Conservative party member?
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > >
    >
    > McVey all the way.

I'm still pushing my WWF Royal Rumble rules idea. McVey as the winner having thrown runner up Graham Brady over the top rope would be fun
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @another_richard said:

"Can I suggest a PB poll on the Conservative contenders.

It might be fun to compare what we think with what Conservative MPs think."

..................................................................................................................

Except the only more duplicitous electorate than Conservative MP's are the magisterial denizens of PB .... :smiley:

> @another_richard said:

>

McVey all the way.

Competition of who is the nastiest, so close fight McVey and Gove and likely McVey is better than the lying weasel so McVey for me.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    edited June 2019
    How about a bet on whether there will be more leadership candidates or Tory MPs after the next election?
    edited June 2019
    Sajid Javid

(held up by a "spam block")
    Matt Hancock
    Mark Harper
    Kit Malthouse
    Esther McVey
    James Cleverly
    Andrea Leadsom
    Steve Baker
    Sam Gyimah
    Graham Brady
    > @rottenborough said:
    > This is some thread. Are we at a FPTP tipping point:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1135146694121840641

The bit of the equation that he only touches on is the "I'll vote for the least worst option" part. Those who voted Ukip in 2015 clearly did not care which of Cameron or Miliband won. I'd include myself in that. That clearly changed in 2017.

We just don't know the circumstances in which the next GE will take place. But as things stand, I don't think saying "vote Brexit/Lib Dems and you'll get Corbyn/Tories" will be particularly effective for either the Tories or Labour.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

A question to which you’ll have the answer after an election. For example, how many Labour voters, who’ve taken the Green Party free hit, will have the elastic pull them back. There’s a great deal of faith here in opinion polls as a clear statement of the future and not a snapshot as of today. I’ve no doubt that this time it’s different for those people and perhaps it will be. But I’d suggest that it’s a faith based statement and not one rooted in medium term precedent.
    matt said:

A question to which you’ll have the answer after an election. For example, how many Labour voters, who’ve taken the Green Party free hit, will have the elastic pull them back. There’s a great deal of faith here in opinion polls as a clear statement of the future and not a snapshot as of today. I’ve no doubt that this time it’s different for those people and perhaps it will be. But I’d suggest that it’s a faith based statement and not one rooted in medium term precedent.
    Most will be back or voting for real politicians, it is a protest but who would back Lib Dems when real power is at stake.
    So far: Michael Gove 4, Rory Stewart 1
    edited June 2019
    13+ candidates fighting for to be leader of a party currently averaging about 19% in the opinion polls. Maybe we'll get crossover soon on those two figures.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    > @geoffw said:
    > So far: Michael Gove 4, Rory Stewart 1

And a silent army of Boristas....
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Personally I’d like to see Rory get the job, for the maturity it would bring. Even though he’ll find himself out of his depth, I suspect.

It I can imagine myself a Tory I would probably go for Cleverly and fall back to Hunt.

geoffw said:

And a silent army of Boristas....
    Yeah it's not anonymous.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    edited June 2019
    Put me down for Cleverly, as an opening position.

Put me down for Cleverly, as an opening position.

Why don't you click his "Like" button?
    (I can't "Like" my own post)
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2019
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    >
    > > 24th like Sam Gyimah
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Any chance of a professional review of the various candidates' videos?
    >
    >
    >
    > Are they available to be seen?
    >
    > Good question.
    >
    > Michael Gove's is
    >
    > Other than that, it might be a case of mining twitter feeds. There was some controversy about whether Rory was merely pretending to film himself.
    >
    > Dominic Raab put out this attacking Labour on antisemitism
    > https://www.dominicraab2019.com/corbynsantisemitism
    >
    > (So far, only Sajid Javid has criticised Boris for Islamophobic language but I expect Dominic Raab will soon be all over it.)
    >
    > Update: this is Dominic Raab's campaign video:

I found Gove's to be trite self regarding and derivitive. It was like a test reel to see how you perform infront of a camera after you've finished a short course in presentation. Everything about it felt fake. I found it uncomfortable to watch 5/10.

Raab's was much better. More believable and better shot. It looked as though a professional had at least cast an eye over it. The exterior face to camera was interestingly framed in a 16x9 format and he looked relaxed. He focussed on what he planned to do rather than what he'd done. When you think who their electorate is anything else would have been unnecessary 7/10
    geoffw said:

Now: Michael Gove 6, Rory Stewart 4, Esther McVey 1
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    Are a lot of them not just hoping the next leader will think "He/she stood for the leadership - I'd better put him/her in the Shadow Cabinet"?
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Bear in mind the Department of Homeland Security will be looking at your vote on this when it considers your visa application. Vote Boris if you want one in the next couple of years, probably ABB if later.
    Michael Gove 7, Rory Stewart 5, Esther McVey 1, James Cleverly 1 (I suppose)
    Plus a thumbs down for Steve Baker.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I'm for Javid at the moment. The only one talking tax cuts and resolving the crime issue we have.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    > @MaxPB said:
    > I'm for Javid at the moment. The only one talking tax cuts and resolving the crime issue we have.

Talking about tax cuts is a little optimistic (I could put it a little stronger than that). Even many Conservative supporters will admit that services have been heavily cut, and with the consequences of Brexit coming along, plus I fear a downturn (whether caused by Brexit or not), then I see little room for any further cuts.

And 'resolving the crime issue' will be difficult with more funding for the police, the justice system and perhaps even social services. Without tax rises, that money will have to come from somewhere else. With tax cuts it just adds more pressure.

I'm also far from convinced that talking about tax cuts will play well with the GBP.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    > @geoffw said:
    > NF Simpson's play "A resounding tinkle" (1957) starts with a knock on the door.
    >
    > Mrs Paradock goes .. to answer the knock. ..
    > Mrs Paradock There's somebody at the door wanting you to form a government
    > Bro Paradock looks at her in astonishment. Several seconds elapse.
    > Mr Paradock What does he look like?
    > Mrs Paradock He says he's working through the street directory.
    > Pause
    >
    > Simpson was a leading exponent of the "theatre of absurd".
    > 62 years ahead of his time.

---

I saw 'A Resounding Tinkle' a few years back.

It has not aged well -- definitely a play better read than performed.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited June 2019
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    > > Re dropping out. After last time when Theresa May won by default after everyone else dropped out, I suspect even candidates with fewer votes than declared supporters will be tempted to hang around and see what happens.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > If Boris had done that in 2016, he might well be the prime minister meeting President Trump. Likewise Andrea Leadsom.
    > >
    > > That is a very strange characterisation of what happened. She didn't 'win by default' she won a second ballot so overwhelmingly that the second placed candidate withdrew.
    > >
    > > No way would Boris have made the final two. That's why he didn't stand.
    >
    > Your reckon? I always thought it odd that Boris dropped out because of Gove. It might have been close, but surely leadsom's support was boosted greatly by Boris dropping out.

I agree. It's nigh on impossible to judge the mood of the Parliamentary party from outside, but my view was always that he'd have survived the first round or two and it's likely plenty of the MPs would have come back to him as time passed and others (esp Gove) were knocked out. Personally I think he'd be PM now had he not given up.

Interestingly, there was one poll of Tory party members taken before Boris dropped out but after Cameron resigned - in a head to head matchup she won 55-38%.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Bear in mind the Department of Homeland Security will be looking at your vote on this when it considers your visa application. Vote Boris if you want one in the next couple of years, probably ABB if later.

Only if you apply for a visa, not a visa waiver....l
    Chris said:

Are a lot of them not just hoping the next leader will think "He/she stood for the leadership - I'd better put him/her in the Shadow Cabinet"?

Not if their vote total is derisory and/or they come over as pig-ignorant weapons.* It will be a battle of ego vs reality.

Not that It appears to have harmed people like Duncan-Smith, for whom we can add private sector sackable CV misleading.
    edited June 2019
    Votes with the "Like" button (and without the "Like" button):
    Michael Gove 7, Rory Stewart 7, Esther McVey 1, Jeremy Hunt 1, James Cleverly 1(1), Sajid Javid (1), Mark Harper (1)
    Thumbs down: Steve Baker 2, Graham Brady 1.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I wouldn’t wish to intrude on private grief.
    edited June 2019
    Hmm I thought it was Bob Paisley that actually worked in the mines whilst Bill Shankly was from a mining family.

Edit - Apologies to Gorgeous George, they both worked in a pit.
    > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > George being gorgeous.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/tonymc39/status/1135212911603924995
    >
    >

What's up with the extra punctuation in Isreal?
    edited June 2019
    "Tories call for rule change as 13th name enters leadership race
    List could grow to 20, and non-runner dismisses some hopefuls as ‘vanity candidates’

Graham Brady, Penny Mordaunt, Priti Patel, Jesse Norman, Steve Baker, Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, and Stephen Barclay, the Brexit secretary, have not ruled themselves out. Should all of these run, it would take the number of candidates to 20."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/02/tories-call-for-rule-change-as-13th-name-enters-leadership-race
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    edited June 2019
    > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > George being gorgeous.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/tonymc39/status/1135212911603924995
    >
    >

Leaving aside Galloway's usual and expected shittiness, I have a perhaps silly question: why does he put an umlaut above the 'e' of 'Israel' ?

I think I've seen it before somewhere, but it's not common here in the UK.

Edit: beaten by RobD. But at least I spelt 'Israel' correctly ... ;)
    geoffw said:

NF Simpson's play "A resounding tinkle" (1957) starts with a knock on the door.

Mrs Paradock goes .. to answer the knock. ..
    Mrs Paradock There's somebody at the door wanting you to form a government
    Bro Paradock looks at her in astonishment. Several seconds elapse.
    Mr Paradock What does he look like?
    Mrs Paradock He says he's working through the street directory.
    Pause

Simpson was a leading exponent of the "theatre of absurd".
    62 years ahead of his time.

Simpson was brilliant.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    > @RobD said:
    > > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > > George being gorgeous.
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/tonymc39/status/1135212911603924995
    > >
    > >
    >
    > What's up with the extra punctuation in Isreal?

I presume that's suppose to reproduce the Arabic pronunciation which always sounds like it has an extra glottal stop somewhere in it.
This discussion has been closed.