Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The successor to Sir Vince Cable might currently be in another

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The successor to Sir Vince Cable might currently be in another party

Heidi Allen, and the former Labour MP Chuka Umunna, are among those thought to be considering defecting to Lib Dems https://t.co/JdN3aRrrCn

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited June 2019
    On a straw poll of 1. (myself) I find Ummuna and Wollaston have better name recognition than that woman who slapped her bloke about, or any other internal LD candidate.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2019
    Second like Ed Davey?

Presumably the Lib Dems have a minimum membership period to become party leader - you couldn't just join the day nominations close and stand?

Surely no one can stop joinjo now?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Has everyone insta'd and facebooked how awful Trump is ?

Come on - get those likes.

• Not exactly much in common between Anna Soubry and Joan Ryan is there? Maybe all those Guido stories re Anna and Chris Leslie divving up the CHUK posts for their spouses may have been true
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited June 2019
    i expect Wollaston to join the Lib Dems, but even if you're a remainer living in Totnes or Brixham would you want her or trust her to represent you?

Not exactly much in common between Anna Soubry and Joan Ryan is there? Maybe all those Guido stories re Anna and Chris Leslie divving up the CHUK posts for their spouses may have been true

My local LD canvasser told me that Chris Leslie was the only block to the TIG-Chuks and LDs joining up.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Chuka = No chance.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Welcoming and generous as LibDems no doubt are, I can't quite see party members electing as leader someone who has only just joined from a rival.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Kinda makes you wonder whether Vince regrets leaving. He's riding high now and finally getting some traction. His successor does not look likely to be a noticeable improvement.
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    To parrot my own contributions to the last thread..

Eligibility not necessarily equating to electability, of course.

I'd be surprised to see members of any party electing such a newbie, however sympathetic, good or prominent they were. Especially those who'd been in *two* other parties in the past six months.

I hope the likes of Umunna and Allen have the humility and good sense to turn up at the Lib Dems, toe the line and offer to serve in whatever capacity the new leader sees fit. They're credible, media-friendly MPs, who alongside Swinson and Moran (and just about Davey) would look different to the Tory and Lab frontbenches.
  • On the Conservative leadership, my fear about backing Raab - even though logically he should be a strong shot because of his pro-Brexit views - was his personality and his seemingly wooden approach. I just don't see how any MP would think he would appeal to the public (boxing shorts aside).

As for Johnson, I wonder how much the fact he is in a marginal worries MPs voting for him? Sure he could switch but, in the current environment, fleeing a seat would go down like a bucket of sick. He might be getting the public endorsements but having your leader running a GE campaign while defending their seat is a problem.

Final point. I'm not putting any more money on the Con leadership campaign until Peterborough is done. I think that is going to massively influence the contest, especially if Brexit gets a thumping win (which I think they might - you have to be motivated to turn out and seems like only TBP and LibDems are such. I would put money on the LibDems being second).

Welcoming and generous as LibDems no doubt are, I can't quite see party members electing as leader someone who has only just joined from a rival.

They'll have to run for county council first, that sort of thing.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Ishmael_Z said:

On a straw poll of 1. (myself) I find Ummuna and Wollaston have better name recognition than that woman who slapped her bloke about, or any other internal LD candidate.

Chuka can maintain his 100 per cent record of ducking the leadership of every party he's been tipped for.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    Brom said:

i expect Wollaston to join the Lib Dems, but even if you're a remainer living in Totnes or Brixham would you want her or trust her to represent you?

Quite funny coming from someone who seems to admire Mr Farage. Mr Farage, aka Mr Farridge aka friend of Julian Assange and admirer of Putin. I think I'd trust her a great deal more than any of the liars and charlatans who are either manipulative or dumb enough to suggest Brexit is a good idea
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Be a bit rough on Jo Swinson if that were to happen.
    BBC : Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn urges President Trump to "think on about peace"

Er - which Trump war is Jezza referring to ?

Clown.
  • TGOHF said:

Not exactly much in common between Anna Soubry and Joan Ryan is there? Maybe all those Guido stories re Anna and Chris Leslie divving up the CHUK posts for their spouses may have been true

My local LD canvasser told me that Chris Leslie was the only block to the TIG-Chuks and LDs joining up.
    Can't see the LibDems electing one of this bunch either. Chukka is uninspiring and is yesterday's man. Heidi Allen might be good for the Lib Dems though, strengthens their appeal in Remain-leaning Conservative seats
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2019
    https://twitter.com/NicolaRBartlett/status/1135894857958998016
    And continuity ChuK changing their name again apparently...
    kinabalu said:

I'd be wary if I was the Lib Dems about CHUK members, Soubry in particular has the whole austerity thing about her - could retoxify.

This rather suggests the thread header may not age that well :)
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

I'd be wary if I was the Lib Dems about CHUK members, Soubry in particular has the whole austerity thing about her - could retoxify.
    They wouldn't accept Soubry, and she wouldn't want to go. Allen & Wollaston have always been very LibDemmy (plus come with defendable seats).
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    I don’t understand why anyone in the remaining Change UK rump thinks they can make a go of it. They’ve hardly set the world on fire since they launched.

The Lib Dems do need a good leader. Jo Swinson seems a bit feeble. She needs to be much crisper and more focused both in getting her own message across and putting the boot into the other parties. Don’t know much about Ed Davey.

The Lib Dems have an opportunity now but they could throw it away if they just get woolly leadership, which I fear they might.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

Just TSE being mischievous, I think, entertaining as it might be.

Ah, but they accept new members to vote for the contest too, don't they? And most of the new members they have recruited in the last week have no institutional loyalty to Swinson or Davey anyhow.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,962

This rather suggests the thread header may not age that well :)
    Shortly there will be a election, in which Labour will increase its majority defection or few in which the Lib Dems will increase its MPs.

Seems the five remaining are Soubry, Gapes, Ryan, Leslie and Coffey according to the Guardian - and they are keen to stand candidates at the next election.

The Lib Dems need political talent, something clearly none of the ChuKers can provide.
    brendan16 said:

Seems the five remaining are Soubry, Gapes, Ryan, Leslie and Coffey according to the Guardian - and they are keen to stand candidates at the next election.

Anti-Corbyn Labour... + Soubry..
    Donald sticking to the script so far but about to go rogue...

• AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cyclefree said:

I don’t understand why anyone in the remaining Change UK rump thinks they can make a go of it. They’ve hardly set the world on fire since they launched.

The Lib Dems do need a good leader. Jo Swinson seems a bit feeble. She needs to be much crisper and more focused both in getting her own message across and putting the boot into the other parties. Don’t know much about Ed Davey.

The Lib Dems have an opportunity now but they could throw it away if they just get woolly leadership, which I fear they might.

Right now the Lib Dems don't need anyone brilliant. They just need someone who can fart and chew gum at the same time: the political dynamics are so favourable for them.

That rather excludes all the former TIGgers, I'm afraid.

Cyclefree said:

Right now the Lib Dems don't need anyone brilliant. They just need someone who can fart and chew gum at the same time....
    Invisible Uncle Vince sounds more appealing than that.
    Hard to believe after those two gracious speeches from Trump and May the first question from Beth Rigby is about Jeremy Corbyn?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Abandon ship! :D
    So now everything's changed again will their constituents get a chance to change their minds?
    Trump : "Khan is a negative force "

Pulpstar said:

I would also be wary of Chuka. He's a powerful brand but I am not sure it would work well in the LibDem window display. Perhaps because it IS powerful.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Lib Dem members are actually very tribal, I'd be very surprised if any newcomer could win a members ballot.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,962
    Fake News - Kerching
    Trump " Corbyn wanted to meet me but I said no. He's a negative force."

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,917

So now everything's changed again will their constituents get a chance to change their minds?

By-elections... must... have… by-elections...
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    brendan16 said:

Hard to believe after those two gracious speeches from Trump and May the first question from Beth Rigby is about Jeremy Corbyn?

She has displayed no great skill in terms of presenting or questioning from all of I have seen her on screen. I have no idea how she got the Sky job. She has been poor on every occasion I have seen her work.
    brendan16 said:

Today is the 30th anniversary of Tiananmen Square.

Corbyn was perfectly OK with attending the state banquet when the Chinese premier visited in 2015.

Ah, but they accept new members to vote for the contest too, don't they? And most of the new members they have recruited in the last week have no institutional loyalty to Swinson or Davey anyhow.
    Yes, the website says if you join before 7 June you can vote. Having said which, you'd need pretty big entryism to get a newcomer over the line - and some of the new members will be former Lab/Con and may have grudges against the Tiggers.
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

I would also be wary of Chuka. He's a powerful brand but I am not sure it would work well in the LibDem window display. Perhaps because it IS powerful.
    Powerful?

Only in his own mind.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I said a few days ago that if they think there will be an early GE, some Tiggers will defect. They appear to have made that calculation. They might've defected anyway, but I don't think they really wanted to. Some people seem to think all centrists are the same, but there are real differences of policy and outlook.

As far as the LD leader job is concerned, I doubt any of them will stand. Heidi is great but LD members wouldn't elect her over a proper LD.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,764
    Pulpstar said:

Post several pictures on their facebook account of themselves wearing sandals. Or invest in some PDQ.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,764
    Pulpstar said:

Post several pictures on their facebook account of themselves wearing sandals. Or invest in some PDQ.
    Also, LD elections use AV. So if we assume that the long term members would put Davey/Swinson at the top in some order they couldn't split the vote and let a newcomer through.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Hearing from Paris that the SI Unit for Political Ineptitude has been set as the Soubry.

There are 1,000 Wollastons to the Soubry.
    Congrats to Johanna Konta - a significant achievement
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

brendan16 said:

She has displayed no great skill in terms of presenting or questioning from all of I have seen her on screen. I have no idea how she got the Sky job. She has been poor on every occasion I have seen her work.
    Hey, Beth is great.
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

So powerful that they won zero MEPs??
    Scott_P said:
    Jeremy Corbyn is the Leader of Her Majesty's Official Opposition.

Trump might not like Corbyn the man but he ought to respect the POSITION.

Absolute disgrace - and SO childish.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Big moment . Trump admits the NHS is on the table in any trade deal.

Oh dear !
    nico67 said:

Oh dear !

You mean - the NHS might start using American drugs and American equipment ?

OMG !

The lasting legacy of Change UK may be that as three of the strongest anti-Boris chucked away their vote to succeed May, they allowed him to become Prime Minister.....
  • Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Hearing from Paris that the SI Unit for Political Ineptitude has been set as the Soubry.

The Imperial unit of measurement is, of course, the May.
    Dadge said:

brendan16 said:

Hey, Beth is great.
    I haven't seen any of that greatness. I have seen a lack of fluency, a lack of grasp of detail and odd choice of tone. No doubt she has qualities - but I just haven't seen anything approaching greatness.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2019
    So Corbyn's idea of diplomacy is to snub the President by refusing to attend a formal state banquet but to request a meeting with him?

It sounds rather like his Brexit policy.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:

That's pretty funny that Corbyn got snubbed though. For all the Labour pontificating turns out they actually wanted to meet Trump.
    edited June 2019
    kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:

LOL! From the same people who refuse to acknowledge the position of the President of the United States....
    edited June 2019
    kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:

Much like how Corbyn should respect the position of POTUS? Or was he too busy on his allotment to go to the banquet?
    Scott_P said:
    Again - the NHS already uses American pharmaceuticals and equipment.

Whats the issue ?
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    nico67 said:

Oh dear !

Has Donald just killed Brexit stone dead? The US-UK trade deal was the last rusty nail for the Leavers to hang their coat on. Donald has just toxified it.
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Again - the NHS already uses American pharmaceuticals and equipment.

Whats the issue ?
    38 minutes to save the NHS.... from the Americans! :o
    TGOHF said:

nico67 said:

Oh dear !

OMG !

Stop digging ! Those Trump comments are incendiary . Even many Leavers are totally against the NHS being on the table .
    TGOHF said:

nico67 said:

Oh dear !

OMG !

And British companies can do the same in return - or no deal?

As long as the NHS remains free at the point of use I don't really care how its run ultimately - private companies have always supported the NHS and invented drugs used in the NHS. Outcomes should be what matters - not inputs.
  • booksellerbookseller Posts: 416
    O/T

If Konta keeps playing like this, no-one left in the women's draw at Roland Garros can live with her. It's purely her own demons that can beat her now. Outstanding tennis in the last two games.
    "Boris" obliges at evens
    nico67 said:

TGOHF said:

nico67 said:

Oh dear !

OMG !

Stop digging ! Those Trump comments are incendiary . Even many Leavers are totally against the NHS being on the table .
    The NHS is powered by pharma and science from the global private sector.

So powerful that they won zero MEPs??

Yes - but I was talking about Chuka the man not the grouping.

He is a little bit supernova one must admit that much.

nico67 said:

Oh dear !

Has Donald just killed Brexit stone dead? The US-UK trade deal was the last rusty nail for the Leavers to hang their coat on. Donald has just toxified it.
    Exactly . The NHS is a red line even for Leavers .
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    nico67 said:

TGOHF said:

nico67 said:

Oh dear !

OMG !

Is Trump saying anything any other US President wouldn't say? A US-UK trade deal only happens with the agreement of both Congress and Parliament. I don't know why everyone obsesses over this.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,717
    kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:

Tweedledum and ..........
    Scott_P said:
    That shows that they have met, at least.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Scott_P said:
    Presumably Donald thought he was having his picture taken with Rupert Murdoch.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

They can't really carry on calling themselves Chuk once Chuka's gone!
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

The lasting legacy of Change UK may be that as three of the strongest anti-Boris chucked away their vote to succeed May, they allowed him to become Prime Minister.....

They can still vote against him on a VNOC though.
    Scott_P said:
    Whilst I can understand why they are doing this, I am never keen on changing the rules part-way through a process. I know it hasn't officially started - but effectively it has.

I would have just moved from 2 votes per week to at least 3 if not 4.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I wish to reassure party members that the Morris Dancer Party has not split nor ever shall. United behind our simple, sensible, and deliverable promises of invading France and establishing a new, trebuchet-based justice system, we shall strive on to victory!

Oil your wiffle sticks, and prepare for government!
    I suppose they could rename themselves Small Change now ...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Scott_P said:
    Whilst I can understand why they are doing this, I am never keen on changing the rules part-way through a process. I know it hasn't officially started - but effectively it has.

And in reality a lot would have dropped out after the first/second ballot anyway.
    Have seen some on Twitter criticising Corbyn for asking for a Trump meeting but boycotting the dinner/attending the protest.

In fairness to him, I think that's pretty consistent with this from when the visit was announced.. basically relations should be businesslike without the frills.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1119393/donald-trump-uk-state-visit-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may

"Maintaining an important relationship with the United States does not require the pomp and ceremony of a State Visit. It is disappointing that the Prime Minister has again opted to kowtow to this US administration. I would welcome a meeting with President Trump to discuss all matters of interest."
    RobD said:

Much like how Corbyn should respect the position of POTUS? Or was he too busy on his allotment to go to the banquet?

Two wrongs don't make a right. Not in my book.

And this was more appropriate than a fancy dinner. Could have been a serious exchange of views.

Chance for Trump to learn something. Maybe that's why he flunked it.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    Scott_P said:
    Might make him look like the outsider that the Big Bad Establishment want to silence... money couldn’t buy it
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

And in reality a lot would have dropped out after the first/second ballot anyway.
    yes, but I still think there's sense in forcing it a bit
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

"Boris" obliges at evens

An evergreen comment.
    Animal_pb said:

The Imperial unit of measurement is, of course, the May.
    For practical purposes the microMay is more convenient, of course.
This discussion has been closed.