Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The CON leadership race is now down to ten with the first MP v

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The CON leadership race is now down to ten with the first MP vote on Thursday

Betdata.io chart of movement on the Betfair exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    primo
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited June 2019
    Boris launch is supposed to be tomorrow I think (and he's said to be taking question from the MSM)

So we shall see what happens...
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Boris aide has said we will see more of him in next week or so.

We will see.

• TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    GIN1138 said:

Boris launch is supposed to be tomorrow I think (and he's said to be taking question from the MSM)

So we shall see what happens...

Lay him now then will be 3s by tea.
    Rory's focussed on getting to TV debates:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1138132393959788545
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    One slip by Hunt and we could end up with Johnson versus Leadsom in the members' ballot.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,712
    edited June 2019
    7th like Loathsome
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Chris said:

One slip by Hunt and we could end up with Johnson versus Leadsom in the members' ballot.

More likely Boris v Raab or Javid
    Boris will be launching his campaign tomorrow so you can wait to see what he says then
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    Question on last thread was is it possible that all the candidates get enough votes on the first ballot and therefore no-one drops out.
    Answer: No. Bottom one drops out even if above the threshold. (Otherwise we might be here for eternity, like with already are with Brexit)
  • spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    algarkirk said:

Question on last thread was is it possible that all the candidates get enough votes on the first ballot and therefore no-one drops out.
    Answer: No. Bottom one drops out even if above the threshold. (Otherwise we might be here for eternity, like with already are with Brexit)

what if bottom 2 have same number of votes? shoot out?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730

We will see.

I hope not. His hands and face are quite revolting enough without seeing any more of him.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Risking oversimplification, is this a fair analysis of the job in hand? What the new PM has to do as an absolute minimum, before starting on tax cuts, foreign policy and free stuff, is this:

1) Align Government, Parliament and the EU in such a way as to deliver a Brexit sufficiently acceptable to the voting public

2) Avoid at all costs a General Election before Brexit, as the Brexit party will ensure the Conservatives will lose and Labour will probably win, therefore

3) Win any VONC

4) Avoid a minor (eg 6 MPs defect) or major (eg 100 MPs form new party) split in the Tory party

5) Neutralise the Brexit party in the longer term

6) Be in a position to win a GE in 2022.

This minimum is quite a big ask at the moment. I think we need a plan with a bit of detail from each of the candidates. Can anyone outline how even a single one of the 10 candidates would outline their proposal, because I can't.

They can do some of those, for a time, but not all of them.
    It's a bit scary, but so far as I can see unless all 6 are delivered, then JC becomes PM in probably a coalition government.

If he can keep things together just a bit longer, he becomes PM sooner or later. Peterborough has made that much more likely, as his position has been made mroe secure.
    algarkirk said:

Shame, that would be funny.
    spire2 said:

algarkirk said:

I think under the old rules both would drop out in that scenario.
    spire2 said:

algarkirk said:

Cage fight over 15 rounds. Tickets available online.
    I'm amazed he doesn't snap at them in response, given they have been giving him a hard time for ages, and yet he just keeps going on and on.
    edited June 2019
    ydoethur said:

We will see.

I hope not. His hands and face are quite revolting enough without seeing any more of him.
    Can anyone explain his appeal to the opposite sex?

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    So when is the first elimination round?
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    There's other explanations for Boris's low profile than the gaffe-avoidance-scheme managed by handlers theory in the header - we're not looking at a T May/Nick Timothy set up here. It is equally likely that it's just a Keep your powder dry, Don't peak too soon approach.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    kle4 said:

spire2 said:

algarkirk said:

I think under the old rules both would drop out in that scenario.
    In 2001 there was a rerun instead
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Stewart strikes me as someone who might just be bright enough to be playing the long game.

He knows that in all probability winning this time is probably a poison chalice but taking part and getting into the TV debates is a chance to get his name and ideas out there with a view to the following leadership campaign - which may not be that many years further ahead. All he has to do this time around is perform well, not make any stupid mistakes and definitely not make any promises that might come back to haunt him in the future.
    Isuppose at least with a members ballot we will have definitive proof of the size of the tory membership, which is probably well above estimates from a few years ago, if not impressive compared to Labour or the SNP.
    Hold on kids. You may need a quick popcorn order. Do I detect that the whiff of enough trouble to cause a leadership challenge this summer???

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1138144835435737091
    Go on Lab, let's have a challenge.

All three main parties in election mode and therefore as the EU implored, making good use of the extension time. :lol:
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

We will see.

Could it be his outstanding dress sense?

Not sure how Jezza is going to get through Lab conference with his fence sitting.

It is going to be a bloodbath. And even Len might not be able to massage and fudge this one away.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,263
    MaxPB said:

Thursday 13th according to the BBC
    algarkirk said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

We will see.

£700K earnings last year just from the freelance stuff iirc.

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    HYUFD said:

Boris will be launching his campaign tomorrow so you can wait to see what he says then

What he says and what he means or does are not the same
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

We will see.

The fashion sense of @TSE with added boobs ....
    spire2 said:

algarkirk said:

Ancram and Davis were tied bottom in the 1st round in 2001, Ancram was eliminated on the second ballot
    MaxPB said:

Thursday
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Not sure how Jezza is going to get through Lab conference with his fence sitting.

It is going to be a bloodbath. And even Len might not be able to massage and fudge this one away.

Doubt it. It will just be like last year. Any sort of debate or proposed vote on the policy that's not been approved by Corbyn's office will just be shut down.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    HYUFD said:

spire2 said:

algarkirk said:

Ancram and Davis were tied bottom in the 1st round in 2001, Ancram was eliminated on the second ballot
    They both refused to pull out, which forced a rerun in which they both went backwards and Davis pulled out anyway, so it was a waste of time.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Ishmael_Z said:

There's other explanations for Boris's low profile than the gaffe-avoidance-scheme managed by handlers theory in the header - we're not looking at a T May/Nick Timothy set up here. It is equally likely that it's just a Keep your powder dry, Don't peak too soon approach.

The weakness of his position is with the MPs rather than the members. From what I've heard he has been having lots of one-to-one meetings with Conservative MPs to improve his position. Maybe he's just too busy to make public policy speeches at this stage.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    The comments in this thread about Leadsom are ridiculous. She's not remotely loathsome or witchy - she doesn't have a Thatcheresque demeanour, not that it would be reprehensible of she did. I can only conclude that she's the one people are scared will actually succeed in securing Brexit and a thriving UK.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

MaxPB said:

Cheers, we get the first indication of how well each candidate is supported as well then I guess.

Stewart strikes me as someone who might just be bright enough to be playing the long game.

He knows that in all probability winning this time is probably a poison chalice but taking part and getting into the TV debates is a chance to get his name and ideas out there with a view to the following leadership campaign - which may not be that many years further ahead. All he has to do this time around is perform well, not make any stupid mistakes and definitely not make any promises that might come back to haunt him in the future.
    Totally agree.

algarkirk said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

We will see.

£700K earnings last year just from the freelance stuff iirc.

Plus he was not bad looking in his younger days

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/image/methode/times/prodmigration/web/bin/fffcfd02-4fd7-3d8a-8e22-59dc4b8c28ba.jpg?crop=1500,1000,0,0&resize=685
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited June 2019

As I posted as this thread was created - anyone sensible wants to raise their profile in this election ready for the next one.

Realistically I don't think you want to win this one or the next one. The winner of this election has to keep both the DUP and all current Tory MPs on side to win the immediate VONC that is coming and there is little chance of most candidates pulling that trick off except possibly Gove / Hunt (so it's highly possible the winner may actually never become PM).

You then need to delivery Brexit and no candidate has a chance of deliverying Brexit without an election (to change the Parliamentary arithmetic) yet they won't win an election without / before delivering Brexit.

The comments in this thread about Leadsom are ridiculous. She's not remotely loathsome or witchy - she doesn't have a Thatcheresque demeanour, not that it would be reprehensible of she did. I can only conclude that she's the one people are scared will actually succeed in securing Brexit and a thriving UK.

Just because people dislike soemone does not mean they are scared of them.

That said, I don't recall why people think she is especially loathsome.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cheers, we get the first indication of how well each candidate is supported as well then I guess.
    I would think so.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    kle4 said:

Me neither. I can think of at least 3 more worthy of this sobriquet. And several more with less personality.
    edited June 2019
    The Unicorn Grand National.

Surely the title of a thread header?

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1138141706044489729

kle4 said:

Is it a sort of pun on her name - Leadsom?
    edited June 2019
    Tory candidates have teaser trailers ahead of the full theatrical trailers now?
    https://twitter.com/TeamSaj/status/1138137690644328448

Totally agree.
    In many ways Stewart is the most likely of the bunch to be the next Tory leader to win an election. Not this side of 2022, but eventually.
    Chris said:

kle4 said:

I meant besides that reason. I assume there has to be more of a reason than just the pseudo-pun.
    Of course Boris' main weakness may well turn out to be his tax plan. A massive transfer of funds to already wealthy pensioners is not really what the country is crying out for. Even if Tory members might like a bung.
    Not much sense of how it will be paid for.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The Dame from the 1922 Committee (literally a Dame, that is) said the results will be released around 1pm.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    spire2 said:

algarkirk said:

As they are replacing Theresa May, it seems only fitting to make it a dance-off.....
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

I meant besides that reason. I assume there has to be more of a reason than just the pseudo-pun.
    Give her her due, she was very prescient about Brexit back in 2013, stating that: "it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty".

Shame she didn't pay attention to herself.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    dixiedean said:

Of course Boris' main weakness may well turn out to be his tax plan. A massive transfer of funds to already wealthy pensioners is not really what the country is crying out for. Even if Tory members might like a bung.

Isn't it just a re-run of the referendum bus?

The details don't matter. The more his opponents attack him on the details the more it is established that Boris is a low-tax politician who is most likely to deliver tax cuts to Conservative Party members and core voters.
    Leadsom. "I tried cannabis. Since then I have become aware of the terrible effects it can have on ones mental health."
    Errrr. Not the best phrasing, Andrea.
    Nevertheless, watching her on C4 news, she seems sane, realistic and measured. Certainly in comparison with some others.
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

😂😂😂

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Give her her due, she was very prescient about Brexit back in 2013, stating that: "it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty".

Gosh, changing her mind, what a truly foul individual.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Only a decade? Phew.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

Why is someone who allegedly changed their mind before 2016 sound on Europe, but someone who changed their mind after 2016 is a traitorous Remoaner?
    _Anazina_ said:

😂😂😂
    Case in point...
    edited June 2019

dixiedean said:

The details don't matter. The more his opponents attack him on the details the more it is established that Boris is a low-tax politician who is most likely to deliver tax cuts to Conservative Party members and core voters.
    The trouble is money for the NHS was something all could benefit from. If the core vote is only top rate tax payers in England and Wales, then they are in difficulty.

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

I await your reaction when PM BoJo changes his mind and revokes A50 :smile:
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    MaxPB said:

Thank goodness it's not a full 38 game league season.
    dixiedean said:

Leadsom. "I tried cannabis. Since then I have become aware of the terrible effects it can have on ones mental health."
    Nevertheless, watching her on C4 news, she seems sane, realistic and measured. Certainly in comparison with some others.

The cannabis issue is interesting. Modern cannabis tends to be skunky and some of that is off the scale compared to the old hippie spliff.
    dixiedean said:

How many Tory members will even benefit from Boris's tax cut plan? I suspect a lot are comfortably off, but how namy over 65s are on pensions of >£50k?
    eek said:

As I posted as this thread was created - anyone sensible wants to raise their profile in this election ready for the next one.

Realistically I don't think you want to win this one or the next one. The winner of this election has to keep both the DUP and all current Tory MPs on side to win the immediate VONC that is coming and there is little chance of most candidates pulling that trick off except possibly Gove / Hunt (so it's highly possible the winner may actually never become PM).

You then need to delivery Brexit and no candidate has a chance of deliverying Brexit without an election (to change the Parliamentary arithmetic) yet they won't win an election without / before delivering Brexit.
    If Parliament refuses to vote for the Withdrawal Amendment even after a renegotiation then you call a general election to get a mandate for it or No Deal.

YouGov had Boris winning a majority even now as he halved the Brexit Party voteshare to 13% as enough of their voters trusted him to deliver Brexit
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

We will see.

SeanT with moobs ?

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

The trouble is money for the NHS was something all could benefit from. If the core vote is only top rate tax payers in England and Wales, then they are in difficulty.
    Boris has also promised more money for the NHS too, indeed in Cabinet Boris demanded an extra £100 million a week for the NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/23/may-slaps-down-boris-johnson-over-nhs-funding-demands
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    edited June 2019
    Thread. Useful checklist of Tory leadership hopeful's proposals for the Irish border. Only one that bears a moment's consideration is from Rory Stewart, which is to pass May's Deal on the fourth time of asking. Matt Hancock gets half a point for vagueness to the point of vacuity. Who is Harper? I've never heard of him.

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1138129784083554306
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Of the list above it's got to be Leadsom. The perfect mix of Nurse Ratchet and Margaret Thatcher. Firm but with a hint of menace. A dominatrix with a smile.

The rest are just versions of Michael Fallon.

dixiedean said:

How many Tory members will even benefit from Boris's tax cut plan? I suspect a lot are comfortably off, but how namy over 65s are on pensions of >£50k?
    https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1138063619797790720
    Scott_P said:
    Nothing to stop the SNP matching his plans as income tax is devolved to Holyrood

dixiedean said:

The cannabis issue is interesting. Modern cannabis tends to be skunky and some of that is off the scale compared to the old hippie spliff.
    The only reason for legalising cannabis is due to the insane strength of what's produced nowadays.

Cocaine and even heroin is safer by comparison...
    Roger said:

Of the list above it's got to be Leadsom. The perfect mix of Nurse Ratchet and Margaret Thatcher. Firm but with a hint of menace. A dominatrix with a smile.

The rest are just versions of Michael Fallon.

Nurse Ratchet? Brilliant. :lol:
    Quincel said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The Dame from the 1922 Committee (literally a Dame, that is) said the results will be released around 1pm.
    that Dame really should have retired in 2015....
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Approximately 4.7m higher rate tax payers in the UK apparently. What proportion of them are non-Tory voters who will be swayed to vote Tory by a tax cut?

Not many.
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

If Parliament refuses to vote for the Withdrawal Amendment even after a renegotiation then you call a general election to get a mandate for it or No Deal.

YouGov had Boris winning a majority even now as he halved the Brexit Party voteshare to 13% as enough of their voters trusted him to deliver Brexit
    What renegotiation? The EU are not going to renegotiate - why would they?

dixiedean said:

The point is rather that it would be paid for by an increase in NI. Which pensioners don't pay. Therefore, it would be a transfer of wealth from the lower paid in employment to the wealthier, in assets, at least, if not income.
    FF43 said:

Thread. Useful checklist of Tory leadership hopeful's proposals for the Irish border. Only one that bears a moment's consideration is from Rory Stewart, which is to pass May's Deal on the fourth time of asking. Matt Hancock gets half a point for vagueness to the point of vacuity. Who is Harper? I've never heard of him.

Mark Harper, MP for the Forest of Dean and Cameron's last Chief Whip.
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

_Anazina_ said:

😂😂😂
    Case in point...

_Anazina_ said:

😂😂😂
    Case in point...
    🤣🤣🤣
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Boris has also promised more money for the NHS too, indeed in Cabinet Boris demanded an extra £100 million a week for the NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/23/may-slaps-down-boris-johnson-over-nhs-funding-demands
    So. He's promising big tax cuts and increased spending is he?
    Bloody hell. Just realised my 2nd biggest winner is McVey.

I might not sleep if that one comes off.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    kle4 said:

Because her name sounds like loathsome. Look on the bright side. She could be called Hunt.
    edited June 2019
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

The point is rather that it would be paid for by an increase in NI. Which pensioners don't pay. Therefore, it would be a transfer of wealth from the lower paid in employment to the wealthier, in assets, at least, if not income.
    Boris is only proposing an increase in the upper rate of NI which only applies to those earning over £962 a week ie £50 024, so anyone earning under £50k will not be affected either way by Boris' tax plans, it is mainly a shift from income tax to higher NI (but with wealthy pensioners net beneficiaries and the voters most likely to go to the polls and vote Tory but many currently voting Brexit Party).

It is a welcome move as higher NI should be the first target to raise more funds for the NHS and social care
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

So. He's promising big tax cuts and increased spending is he?
    He's a Harrods version of Jeremy Corbyn.

Admittedly a somewhat more intelligent and articulate one.

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Approximately 4.7m higher rate tax payers in the UK apparently. What proportion of them are non-Tory voters who will be swayed to vote Tory by a tax cut?

Not many.
    I don't think it's a question of getting non-Tory voters to vote Tory this plan is to try to stop those that do vote Tory switching to another party (possibly Brexit, possibly the Lib Dems). To be blunt it won't work...
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Not many.
    But a large number might be put off from voting Corbyn in 2022, after they've gotten used to the extra few hundred in their pay packet each month.

It's actually quite a clever trap, the promise of a tax cut might not sway many voters, but forcing your opponent to come out in favour of taking that money away once it's been given is very different.
  • kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

She's both a Tory and a Brexiteer and either is seemingly good enough reason for most on the left.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Nothing to stop the SNP matching his plans as income tax is devolved to Holyrood
    but NI isn't and that's a problem when Boris ratches up the NI side of things and reduces the income tax bit the SNP has control over...

HYUFD said:

eek said:

What renegotiation? The EU are not going to renegotiate - why would they?
    The UK is the EU's biggest export destination, who knows what compromise may be agreed on the backstop
    https://twitter.com/AnnaMacdWilson/status/1138161977535205379

At nine years old I was still obsessed with the next moon landing.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Boris is only proposing an increase in the upper rate of NI which only applies to those earning over £962 a week ie £50 024, so anyone earning under £50k will not be affected either way by Boris' tax plans, it is mainly a shift from income tax to higher NI (but with wealthy pensioners net beneficiaries and the voters most likely to go to the polls and vote Tory but many currently voting Brexit Party).

It is a welcome move as higher NI should be the first target to raise more funds for the NHS and social care
    The submarine strategy for policy announcements and campaigning having worked so well for the Conservatives before?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

I don't agree with your last sentence, but I do agree that the PB collective opinion of Andrea Leadsome are a bit mismatched. Although if anybody would like to argue the case, happy to hear counter-argument
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,007
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

We will see.

Attraction isn't about looks.

Biggest enduring myth there is.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2019
    Discovering three years after it mattered that he is the worst leader Labour has ever had. It wouldn't surprise me if he encouraged the anti semitism stories himself to divert attention from his uselessness as party leader

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

We will see.

Attraction isn't about looks.

Biggest enduring myth there is.
    Short term it is but longer term it is about personality
This discussion has been closed.