Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A taste of PMQs with PM Johnson? How he handled City Hall ques

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A taste of PMQs with PM Johnson? How he handled City Hall question time while London Mayor

The Boris war on sugar taxes comes just two and a half years after he imposed a similar measure at City Hall while Mayor of London https://t.co/1RCUXibcNE

Read the full story here

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Balls.

(Buttler.)
    "It just popped out" - the all purpose Boris excuse ?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Hard to imagine Boris doing detailed prep each week before PMQs.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Scott_P said:
    Will Ross Thomson be employed to whisper 'Remember you are mortal' into BJ's ear?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Will Ross Thomson be employed to whisper 'Remember you are mortal' into BJ's ear?

No

https://twitter.com/RossThomson_MP/status/1146313705396850688
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Nigelb said:

Isn’t it failing to pop out that’s been more of Boris’s problem over the years?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Who was that useless Tory MP on PL? No answer to anything other than that someone should look into it.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Isn’t it failing to pop out that’s been more of Boris’s problem over the years?
    Given Boris's dishonesty, it's quite possible he employed it in that context, too.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Let's be very clear. He's a knob.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OGH's OP has a video of Boris defending cutting fire services.

Here is an earlier video of Boris denying these cuts were planned.
    https://youtu.be/PlNCf82iIBE

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    The Guardian is accusing Boris of dog whistle politics. This alert has just come through on my watch, guess I'm in 2019 finally.
    Scott_P said:

No

Not a Boris fan but he’s right on this. Nudging people in the right direction is a much better way to do things than taxing and banning things.
    Sandpit said:

Not a Boris fan but he’s right on this. Nudging people in the right direction is a much better way to do things than taxing and banning things.

So why did BoZo tax and ban them when he was Mayor?
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

No

Taxation is a nudge tactic.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,743
    Sandpit said:

You were all so happy to support the interventionist May "parking her tanks on Labour's lawn" etc. It's fascinating to see the Conservatives doing some quite amazing flip-flops as May becomes Johnson.

Whatever happened to worker participation on boards of companies or is that another thing to be forgotten?
    England in a spot of trouble.
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

No

There's a massive difference between taxing something and banning stuff though ?
    I'm happy with a sugar tax in principle given the cost externalities picked up by the NHS for obesity, diabetes and so forth.
    Should say Monster energy drink be banned though ? Absolubtely not.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Scott_P said:
    I did wonder what sins were to be taxed, and for a brief moment, how you'd do it!
    Nigelb said:

Cricket not looking good either...
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    England going out of the WC.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

No

Taxation is a nudge tactic.
    No. Banning smoking indoors/in public places is a nudge tactic.

We haven't bowled yet!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Just 11 runs from 27 balls. Poor innings by Stokes.

We haven't bowled yet!
    Going to have to bowl them out.
    Scott_P said:

Nigelb said:

Cricket not looking good either...
    This is going to be a depressing thread.
    I'm backing England (£10 @ 1.32), think we have a great platform to get ~ 310 which NZ will find hard to chase.
    Pulpstar said:

I'm backing England (£10 @ 1.32), think we have a great platform to get ~ 310 which NZ will find hard to chase.

Scrap that, we seem to be going nowhere.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    On topic, I am shocked.
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

So why did BoZo tax and ban them when he was Mayor?
    Because he will say and do whatever today’s audience wants to hear?
    From the BBC website

How long before we stop hyping Jos Buttler as a world-class player and our 'dangerman' with his nine centuries in 138 ODIs? Too often compared to the greats of the modern era when a more natural comparison is to Heskey's 7 goals in 62 England games - Fraser in Tetbury
    edited July 2019

From the BBC website

How long before we stop hyping Jos Buttler as a world-class player and our 'dangerman' with his nine centuries in 138 ODIs? Too often compared to the greats of the modern era when a more natural comparison is to Heskey's 7 goals in 62 England games - Fraser in Tetbury

Unlike Heskey, Buttler destroys in the IPL, where as other than one seasons, Heskey was equally shit in the EPL.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

From the BBC website

Unlike Heskey, Buttler destroys in the IPL, where as other than one seasons, Heskey was equally shit in the EPL.
    Buttler could hit 20 off 11 all of the time and I'd STILL rather read his name on the team sheet, particularly with our top order strength.
    England stalling worse than a learner driver.
    edited July 2019
    Did I say spot of bother...

Not an easy pitch, but we've been finding ways to get out.
    This is an absolute f##king disaster....
    A suspended equality programme at the centre of a row about teaching LGBT rights will return at a school.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-48853462

This is an absolute f##king disaster....

And Henry and Boult both have a couple of overs left.

Or were you talking about the prospect of Boris ?
    Calm down, we're still on course for 300.
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

No. Bangladesh will save England.
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Enough of such talk !

Jinxed us again.
    Several of my fellow Tory members have said they are seeing an awful lot of sponsored adverts for Jeremy Hunt on social media whilst they aren't seeing that many for Boris Johnson.
    Pulpstar said:

We should have sailed past 350 at one point.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

Down the WC more likely

Pulpstar said:

We should have sailed past 350 at one point.
    We haven't got 3 clones each of Roy & Bairstow to send into bat though.
    Not even to get 300 after that start is criminal.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    Brexit is the "gift" that just keeps taking . As a result of it we are now going to end up with the most unsuitable person ever to hold that office in my lifetime. His apologists hold up his time as Mayor as the only scrap of evidence that he has any leadership capability. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country more suited and we have to end up with this cretin
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Scott_P said:
    I suspect there are a number of retiring (or happy to consider retirement) Tory MPs who will happily VoNC anything approaching No Deal...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

Several of my fellow Tory members have said they are seeing an awful lot of sponsored adverts for Jeremy Hunt on social media whilst they aren't seeing that many for Boris Johnson.

Hunt is obviously the candidate of George Soros.

Brexit is the "gift" that just keeps taking . As a result of it we are now going to end up with the most unsuitable person ever to hold that office in my lifetime. His apologists hold up his time as Mayor as the only scrap of evidence that he has any leadership capability. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country more suited and we have to end up with this cretin

I would suspect you could have lived a very, very long time and still that second sentence would be true!

Hunt is obviously the candidate of George Soros.
    Not impossible - he has started to accumulate some very strange bedfellows :smirk: ...
    https://www.vox.com/2019/7/1/20677441/soros-koch-end-interventionist-wars-military

Yorkshire to the rescue, again.
    Nigelb said:

We're the backbone of England, Britain, and the UK.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.
    Its the hope that kills you...like last night in the footy.

Nigelb said:

Should have kept quiet.

Nigelb said:

You've sent the odd oddball to the European Parliament, though, IIRC.

And Good Afternoon, Mr D!
    edited July 2019
    Well that was s##t....
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Its the hope that kills you...like last night in the footy.

True , semi final is the upper limit for England at football..
    Not a final since 1966.
    Ben Stokes really fouled up the scorecard there.

India yesterday were 180/0 and then ended at 314.
    edited July 2019

Yes but (hopefully) our players aren't in the pay of Indian bookmarkers...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited July 2019
    England, with their bowling attack, should be confident of defending this.

Edit: says Michael Vaughan

Edit II: still a deathly boring sport
    TOPPING said:

Now that's gone and done it....pack your bags and be ready for a month of ConHome when Archer and Wood gets lashed around the park.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

TOPPING said:

Now that's gone and done it....pack your bags and be ready for a month of ConHome when Archer and Wood gets lashed around the park.
    Check my edit!

I would suspect you could have lived a very, very long time and still that second sentence would be true!
    Indeed. The bar was held fairly low by Gordon Brown and Theresa May, but Boris will still be able to limbo underneath it!
    I'm reasonably cheerful; Essex have won, and stay a solid second. Our game against Somerset at the end of the season could be the title decider.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547

Indeed. The bar was held fairly low by Gordon Brown and Theresa May, but Boris will still be able to limbo underneath it!
    Cameron sashayed under it pretty easily - it's the old etonian swagger that does it. Neither May nor Brown could match that.

Well, I remember Eden as PM and I think he was better than Boris will (may?????) be, although or course in the matter of Middle Eastern wars he was down there with Tony Blair.
    He also encouraged John Prescott to go into politics which may or may not have been a good thing.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,920
    malcolmg said:

Down the WC more likely
    And Scotland?

Cameron sashayed under it pretty easily - it's the old etonian swagger that does it. Neither May nor Brown could match that.
    Hmm, not sure I can agree with that. His back of fag packet plan on the referendum was dumb, but other than that massive miscalculation I think he was a reasonable leader with good skills. Try comparing him objectively with May and Brown and he is easily ahead. Boris is miles behind. he has no leadership or managerial capability.
    Bad news is good news for Wall Street. Markets betting that the Fed will lower interest rates to mitigate slowdown that is already happening - everywhere.
    But the music will have to stop sooner or later. What then ?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,920

Boris will resign before the end of the year.

Yes but (hopefully) our players aren't in the pay of Indian bookmarkers...
    What do you think in the closing overs of the Pak v Afg match ?
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Sorry to see that Christopher Booker has died. An original eurosceptic had we simply left the EU and joined the EEA as advocated by him and Richard North Brexit would have been done and dusted by now, there would have been no Boris to the fore and we could have all moved on.

I think you may well be right. He will have collected the badge by then and that is all he is interested in
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

I think you may well be right. He will have collected the badge by then and that is all he is interested in
    Will we still be in the EU then?

Because taking us out without a deal, then buggering off leaving someone else to deal with the consequences would be the height of irresponsibility.

Bad news is good news for Wall Street. Markets betting that the Fed will lower interest rates to mitigate slowdown that is already happening - everywhere.
    But the music will have to stop sooner or later. What then ?

FTSE 7.6K :)
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

Nigelb said:

If you look at Britain as roughly a human figure, I'd say more the large intestine. In that scenario I'm unsure what the rectum would be.

Well, I remember Eden as PM and I think he was better than Boris will (may?????) be, although or course in the matter of Middle Eastern wars he was down there with Tony Blair.
    He also encouraged John Prescott to go into politics which may or may not have been a good thing.
    Again, if you compare on the basis of evidence, in spite of his obvious error, Anthony Eden was miles and miles ahead of Boris.Extensive experience in offices of state, Army Officer, Military Cross etc. etc. It is the type of CV that a Walter Mitty like Boris or EL Duce Farage would chop someone else's arm off for
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Cyclefree said:

Because taking us out without a deal, then buggering off leaving someone else to deal with the consequences would be the height of irresponsibility.
    It would.
    [thinks about Boris Johnson]

Yeah, wouldn't be remotely surprised.
    Cyclefree said:

Right up Boris's street then! Sounds like how he treats women.
    Cyclefree said:

I don't think that fits his masterplan.

He only supported Brexit because he thought it would make him PM.

Crashing out and ending his career is probably not what he wants the history books to show...

Again, if you compare on the basis of evidence, in spite of his obvious error, Anthony Eden was miles and miles ahead of Boris.Extensive experience in offices of state, Army Officer, Military Cross etc. etc. It is the type of CV that a Walter Mitty like Boris or EL Duce Farage would chop someone else's arm off for
    Absolutely true. Significantly he was a competent Foreign Secretary, too!

Also Kiwis 2-1 in the first over!
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

It wasn't even out, but no review used
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Surely it's time to just check every LBW.

Every close run out is checked, so why not check every LBW? It only takes a few seconds.

The reason every run out is checked is that when introduced it could be checked definitively. Well surely exactly the same principle now applies to LBW.
    Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Crashing out and ending his career is probably not what he wants the history books to show...
    Agreed, but when he realises it is actually hard work...?

It wasn't even out, but no review used
    Arguably a wicket surrendered?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Nigelb said:

If you look at Britain as roughly a human figure, I'd say more the large intestine. In that scenario I'm unsure what the rectum would be.
    Bristol?

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Agreed, but when he realises it is actually hard work...?
    Could he re-rat on his abandonment of American citizenship and go back there? Try for President or something.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    If Davey wants to be LD leader, why didn't he stand in 2017?

Swinson not standing in 2017 is understandable on grounds of age / experience etc. But Davey position completely different.
This discussion has been closed.