Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In spite of all the uncertainty a 2019 general election is sti

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In spite of all the uncertainty a 2019 general election is still less than a 50% chance in the betting

Betdata.io chart of movements on Betfair Exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• First! like Serena and Murray (what a lovely example of civic nationalism) in the MD
  • I don't know - 43pc sounds like a fairly inexpensive lay to me. But, yes, I haven't forgotten about my Verstappen bet either - it will be a long time until I'm brave enough to lay anything again.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    Going to the country would be a massive gamble - but not doing so an even bigger one.

We know from his record that Johnson is not renowned for steely decisiveness, so it seems utterly unpredictable. I’m not going to bet on the whim of someone so unreliable.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited July 2019
    So just posting what I picked up from previous threads, the issue is the timing.

He can try to call an election immediately to take place in September. But because his party played games to avoid him facing a vote of confidence, he takes office right as parliament is supposed to be about to end. To pass the vote he may need to extend it and that only works if Corbyn is cooperative. Since he needs 2/3 or MPs (not MPs present) he's potentially vulnerable to some cheeky opposition sabotage where some opposition MPs abstain and others have already left for preexisting commitments, and with the serious risk this situation has for safe seats that their occupants thought were jobs for life, he may find his own guys fail to show up as well.

So he can call the election in September, to take place in October. But that's his whole Brexit strategy blown: The idea was to promise hard Leavers he won't extend, but also tell anti-destroy-the-economy voters that he'll make a deal. That line won't work if the election result will leave him mere weeks or days away from the deadline, with no time to make a deal - or prepare for No Deal for that matter. He's basically going to have to fight the election on no-preparation No Deal, which is a great way to get moderate voters to suck up the many defects of Jeremy Corbyn.

He can try to call the election before the election but scheduled to crash out during the campaign, but parliament won't vote for that, and may instead replace him with a less mental caretaker PM who will extend. Maybe Boris gets his election after that with the extension someone else's responsibility, but it's very risky to pass the ball to the opposition like that.

Finally he can call the election right after failing to Brexit or crashing out with No Deal, but neither of these would be an optimal backdrop for a campaign, to out it mildly.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

So just posting what I picked up from previous threads, the issue is the timing.

He can try to call an election immediately to take place in September. But because his party played games to avoid him facing a vote of confidence, he takes office right as parliament is supposed to be about to end. To pass the vote he may need to extend it and that only works if Corbyn is cooperative. Since he needs 2/3 or MPs (not MPs present) he's potentially vulnerable to some cheeky opposition sabotage where some opposition MPs abstain and others have already left for preexisting commitments, and with the serious risk this situation has for safe seats that their occupants thought were jobs for life, he may find his own guys fail to show up as well.

So he can call the election in September, to take place in October. But that's his whole Brexit strategy blown: The idea was to promise hard Leavers he won't extend, but also tell anti-destroy-the-economy voters that he'll make a deal. That line won't work if the election result will leave him mere weeks or days away from the deadline, with no time to make a deal - or prepare for No Deal for that matter. He's basically going to have to fight the election on no-preparation No Deal, which is a great way to get moderate voters to suck up the many defects of Jeremy Corbyn.

He can try to call the election before the election but scheduled to crash out during the campaign, but parliament won't vote for that, and may instead replace him with a less mental caretaker PM who will extend. Maybe Boris gets his election after that with the extension someone else's responsibility, but it's very risky to pass the ball to the opposition like that.

Finally he can call the election right after failing to Brexit or crashing out with No Deal, but neither of these would be an optimal backdrop for a campaign, to out it mildly.

That's not Boris's plan.

His plan is to head of to Brussels to negotiate. Discover there's no-one to negotiate with. Complain of perfidious Albion Brussels. And then dare Parliament to No Confidence him and replace him with a temporary PM (who could ask for an extension).

If Parliament does this (no guarantee), he hopes that the fact that he attempted to get No Deal (and was only prevented by damned MPs) will stand him in good stead with Brexit voters in the subsequent General Election.

If Parliament does not do this, he hopes No Deal won't be too bad. And if it is, he hopes the EU will get the blame, not him.

If No Deal is bad, and the Tory Party is destroyed, well, it will all be a bit embarassing, but he can always fall back on writing opinion pieces for The Telegraph.
  • Does anyone here actually play the 2 - 3 on betfair game here?

50 - 33pc there's money to be made there surely.

I just round up or down really.
    rcs1000 said:

That's not Boris's plan.

His plan is to head of to Brussels to negotiate. Discover there's no-one to negotiate with. Complain of perfidious Albion Brussels. And then dare Parliament to No Confidence him and replace him with a temporary PM (who could ask for an extension).

If Parliament does this (no guarantee), he hopes that the fact that he attempted to get No Deal (and was only prevented by damned MPs) will stand him in good stead with Brexit voters in the subsequent General Election.

If Parliament does not do this, he hopes No Deal won't be too bad. And if it is, he hopes the EU will get the blame, not him.

If No Deal is bad, and the Tory Party is destroyed, well, it will all be a bit embarassing, but he can always fall back on writing opinion pieces for The Telegraph.

That all sounds plausible but I don't think it gets you to an election this year?
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    RobD said:

How did they take away your right to vote?

They made a rule that if you've been out of Britain for 15 years you can't vote any more.

The Tories then said they'd remove this rule, but they lied.
    You've got the Tories to thank for having voting rights in the first place. :)

As for repealing it, Parliament's website say that the government are still looking to make progress on the bill. Expect another to appear in the next session.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05923
    OK the tories introduced the law, but there was pressure from within the EU, as most countries allow citizens living abroad to vote (Ireland is a notable exception). One major reason why the Conservatives adopted this is that it is generally thought that overseas voters are more likely to be Conservative. That was very likely at the time and it was widely suspected that Bristol North West in GE1992 was kept Conservative by the overseas voters. But I think that over the years as the Conservatives have become more Little Britain that this effect has ben neutralised or may be even reversed. Does anyone know if there has been polling on this?

rcs1000 said:

That's not Boris's plan.

That all sounds plausible but I don't think it gets you to an election this year?
    It does under the first scenario. The temporary Government of National Asking For An Extensionity is not likely to be able to last long beyond the "asking".

(Unless, of course, it uses its position to push through a second referendum.)
  • I will fix the NHS pension cap chaos, says Johnson, says torygraph.

Brown, Cameron, and now Boris ??
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Ed Davey still 9/2 with Ladbrokes, despite yesterday’s good news. Looks like punters are unconvinced, or are they just not interested in this market?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    eristdoof said:

RobD said:

They made a rule that if you've been out of Britain for 15 years you can't vote any more.

As for repealing it, Parliament's website say that the government are still looking to make progress on the bill. Expect another to appear in the next session.

One major reason why the Conservatives adopted this is that it is generally thought that overseas voters are more likely to be Conservative.
    Which is why, one suspects, Labour took it away after you'd been out of the country for 15 years.....
    rcs1000 said:

It does under the first scenario. The temporary Government of National Asking For An Extensionity is not likely to be able to last long beyond the "asking".

I guess the GoNAfaE only takes office at the end of October, can they squeeze the election in before Christmas?
  • Ed Davey still 9/2 with Ladbrokes, despite yesterday’s good news. Looks like punters are unconvinced, or are they just not interested in this market?

Looks like they're convinced he's going to come second - or rather given the new parlance, has a less that 22.5pc that he'll win
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

One major reason why the Conservatives adopted this is that it is generally thought that overseas voters are more likely to be Conservative.
    Which is why, one suspects, Labour took it away after you'd been out of the country for 15 years.....
    There was a picture created of retirees drinking gin etc on the Costas and grumbling about 'the country having gone to the dogs', the 'good old days' and whatever.
    There was also alleged, IIRC, to be a 'problem' with identifying which constituency people identified with.

rcs1000 said:

I guess the GoNAfaE only takes office at the end of October, can they squeeze the election in before Christmas?
    Yes. The extension would be asked for before October 31, and the election would be really December.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

rcs1000 said:

That's not Boris's plan.

Sure it does, since the first crunch point occurs over the summer and the attempted negotiation, he cannot spin that out very long, so the need to commit to no deal will force the hand of the Grievers.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Nigelb said:

Going to the country would be a massive gamble - but not doing so an even bigger one.

We know from his record that Johnson is not renowned for steely decisiveness, so it seems utterly unpredictable. I’m not going to bet on the whim of someone so unreliable.

Hes unreliable, but the options in front of him are very narrow and an election could come about whether he wants one or not depending on the actions of others.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

There was also alleged, IIRC, to be a 'problem' with identifying which constituency people identified with.

That's odd, because the rule is quite clear even under boudary changes or constituency name changes. The last address at which you were registered as an "inland" voter determines which constituency.
    How appropriate it is that the vote counts in a constitiency in which someone lived years ago is questionable, but in a FPTP system it is hard to justify any other system, ...unless..... we are given our own MP. A constituency for all overseas voters. I think it would be a good idea, but I can't see it being popular in Westminster or the Daily Telegraph.

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

There was a picture created of retirees drinking gin etc on the Costas and grumbling about 'the country having gone to the dogs', the 'good old days' and whatever.
    I'm not sure what the latter was about - you had to show which electoral roll you had been on.

If we were like America, where your passport not only entitles you to vote, but also to pay taxes, no matter where you live, then I'd have more sympathy for expat votes - but if people have chosen to spend time abroad - or make their lives abroad, then I'm not sure they should also expect to decide how their home country is governed.
  • eristdoof said:

That's odd, because the rule is quite clear even under boudary changes or constituency name changes. The last address at which you were registered as an "inland" voter determines which constituency.
    How appropriate it is that the vote counts in a constitiency in which someone lived years ago is questionable, but in a FPTP system it is hard to justify any other system, ...unless..... we are given our own MP. A constituency for all overseas voters. I think it would be a good idea, but I can't see it being popular in Westminster or the Daily Telegraph.

It's hardly disenfraishment if you don't live here. Even maxing out their gerrymandering the separatists managed to get that part right in indyref1
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

I'm not sure what the latter was about - you had to show which electoral roll you had been on.

If we were like America, where your passport not only entitles you to vote, but also to pay taxes, no matter where you live, then I'd have more sympathy for expat votes - but if people have chosen to spend time abroad - or make their lives abroad, then I'm not sure they should also expect to decide how their home country is governed.
    Yes, a special registration fee with the Consulate should be due, to cover the cost of Consular services provided for non UK tax-payers.
    Foxy said:

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

Yes, a special registration fee with the Consulate should be due, to cover the cost of Consular services provided for non UK tax-payers.
    I suspect the overwhelming bulk of Consular Services are for UK tax payers and residents who get into trouble abroad, rather than UK residents abroad, whatever their tax paying status.
  • Ni hao Morris

(I'm practising my Chinese in case Scotland gets swapped for Hong Kong - Boris may be listening.)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

Morning reporting from a pleasant sunny costa Blanca 20C heading for 30C. We’ve been out here for 11 years and still try and vote but given the 2008 financial crash not many people have followed us since. A large number have now been away for 15 years and hold mild resentment to losing their vote, particularly in the referendum when it was felt the outcome could impact our status. Many don’t exercise their rights even if they still have them but would probably be 60% conservative if they did. The defining factor is that by far the most popular news medium is the Daily Mail which they claim doesn’t inform their views but it clearly does. The current growing meme is ‘Corbyn is a Marxist’ but they can’t tell you what one is if asked so whilst I would like my voting rights to be permanent I could understand why a labour government wouldn’t do it. It’s only a 50% chance you actually get you ballot paper in time either due, occasionally to dispatch problems, or more often that voting is frequently in May/June time frame and the bank holidays out here screw Coreos up somewhat.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I’m not expecting an early election for the simple reason that the Conservatives would lose and lose badly.
    edited July 2019
    This will not be a civil servant seeking to illuminate a very difficult situation or to “blow a whistle” — the dysfunction of Trump’s White House is clear. Someone is seeking to score political points. But using the UK’s foreign relationships as chips within a domestic game is irresponsible in the extreme.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/kim-darroch-trump-uk-ambassador-to-us-email-leak-un-a8996196.html

In his rebuke of the ambassador, Sir Kim Darroch, Mr. Trump came close to declaring him persona non grata — an extraordinary breach between the United States and one of its closest allies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/us/politics/donald-trump-kim-darroch.html
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's not Boris's plan.

Sure it does, since the first crunch point occurs over the summer and the attempted negotiation, he cannot spin that out very long, so the need to commit to no deal will force the hand of the Grievers.
    I'd have thought he'd spin it out right until the last week, since the whole argument behind the strategy is that the EU will totally do a deal, you just have to stare at them really hard right down to the last second when they accept you're not bluffing.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Sarah James on R4, hopelessly trying to defend Labour’s new Brexit nuance.

Asked the question whether in a referendum Labour would be Leave or Remain, first there is a pause. Then an answer beginning with the words “It depends...”. Then a qualification that they would probably be Remain “at this stage”.

Asked how Labour could negotiate hard for a new deal and then campaign against it in a referendum, she was stumped.

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

I agree - a view reinforced, it has to be said, by the string of rabid no dealer expats we have suffered on here, eagerly urging a crashout edit on the rest of us from a safe distance. If they come back to live here, obviously they get to vote. Until then, not.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    For reasons @Mysticrose articulated recently I think an early election is the answer for Boris.

Boris being Boris as he may be, I believe that as PM and after sitting down with advisors and civil servants he will realise that no leader can take the country into no deal.
    IanB2 said:

Asked the question whether in a referendum Labour would be Leave or Remain, first there is a pause. Then an answer beginning with the words “It depends...”. Then a qualification that they would probably be Remain “at this stage”.

Asked how Labour could negotiate hard for a new deal and then campaign against it in a referendum, she was stumped.

It’s as though Labour wants to donate voters to the Lib Dems and the Greens.
    Nothing to see here, just one of the main political parties’ memberships being prepared to suspend democracy:

https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1148339539586551810?s=21

Basing the thing on where you pay taxes would make more sense to me. A lot of the UK's current problems come from the fact that the UK doesn't let its tax-paying non-citizens vote in parliamentary elections or referendums.

But like most countries in the world the UK is run by nationalists, and they think it should depend on nationality. Which is fair enough, as long as they're consistent about it instead of arbitrarily disfranchising people whose nationality and residence don't match.

Nothing to see here, just one of the main political parties’ memberships being prepared to suspend democracy:

Disgraceful. And only a few weeks after the D-Day memorials. Have we learnt nothing?
    U.K. Ambassador Kim Darroch was disinvited from a dinner that U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is hosting Monday with President Donald Trump and the emir of Qatar, according to a U.S. official.

https://time.com/5622419/trump-disinvites-uk-envoy-kim-darroch/

Disgraceful. And only a few weeks after the D-Day memorials. Have we learnt nothing?
    To listen to them you’d think they had been first on the beaches.
  • PloppikinsPloppikins Posts: 126
    Re: "The Pact", progressive alliance, rainbow coalition, etc - Dream on. It's been mooted for years and has never happened. 1. Just because someone votes green doesn't mean they are going to vote LD. 2. When was the last time 30% was going to get you anywhere close to a majority. 3. If BJ keeps his word(!) Cons with BXP defectors easily hits 30%+
    rcs1000 said:
    Even the language of the plea agreement was murky in the extreme:
    https://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2019/07/09/jeffrey-epstein-prosecution-1402265

Hard to imagine that such... eminent... attorneys as Starr and Dershowitz (who seems also to have been one of Epstein’s frequent fliers) could have overlooked such obfuscation.

Basing the thing on where you pay taxes would make more sense to me. A lot of the UK's current problems come from the fact that the UK doesn't let its tax-paying non-citizens vote in parliamentary elections or referendums.

But like most countries in the world the UK is run by nationalists, and they think it should depend on nationality. Which is fair enough, as long as they're consistent about it instead of arbitrarily disfranchising people whose nationality and residence don't match.
    A lot of British immigrants have no choice in where they pay tax if they have an occupational pension from a state provider where the tax has to be paid in the U.K. or if they have income from a rented property.

U.K. Ambassador Kim Darroch was disinvited from a dinner that U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is hosting Monday with President Donald Trump and the emir of Qatar, according to a U.S. official.

https://time.com/5622419/trump-disinvites-uk-envoy-kim-darroch/

The concept of speaking truth to power is not currently a popular one in the White House.
    Scott_P said:
    Entertaining. The disbelief builds through to the point where the LibDems introduce D'Hondt lists and not STV.

IanB2 said:

And the Scottish National Party.

Although Brexit is not the primary determinant of voting behaviour, it is still important for many Scots voters. A lot of SLab empathisers are totally disgusted with their party. Abstention could be high within some voter groups.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited July 2019

Based on the various polling we’ve seen of membership views, I would now comfortably describe the Conservative Party as “far right”.

IanB2 said:

Its too little, too late.

If Labour want to credibly run a different Brexit policy, they have to change leader first to someone like Watson or Phillips.
    Leadsom can’t guarantee that Johnson won’t sack Sir Kim.

Based on the various polling we’ve seen of membership views, I would now comfortably describe the Conservative Party as “far right”.
    Go the whole hog, Reichstag fire and Enabling Act, Tommy Robinson to lead a new Islamic Kristallnacht...
    nichomar said:

Leadsom can’t guarantee that Johnson won’t sack Sir Kim.

Take back Control...
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Dominic Grieve is perfect in his role as upper class twit establishment villain. Probably adding 5-10% to Brexit party support.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

and a perfect reason why I cannot support the Party, its gone mad. stark staring bonkers.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,701

IanB2 said:

Although Brexit is not the primary determinant of voting behaviour, it is still important for many Scots voters. A lot of SLab empathisers are totally disgusted with their party. Abstention could be high within some voter groups.
    The remnants of SLAB are unionists. They wouldn't back the SNP.
    They would go Lib Dem, if the LDs have the good sense not to elect a London-based leader.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673

eristdoof said:

It's hardly disenfraishment if you don't live here. Even maxing out their gerrymandering the separatists managed to get that part right in indyref1
    Yes only cheating was done by the cretinous colonists
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_P said:
    Impressive, given the UK was only a gleam in the imperialists' eyes at that point.
    Scott_P said:
    Ex civil servant supports civil service shock.

Doesn’t dispute Trumps point that May and the Civil Service borked up Brexit I note...

IanB2 said:

They would go Lib Dem, if the LDs have the good sense not to elect a London-based leader.
    Bizarre as it may sound, if you look carefully at the data, there is *still* a significant minority of the much-depleted SLab vote which is pro-independence. Although the numbers are not high, these people could be decisive in one or two tight seats.

It's insane. Even 1954, and the complete end of rationing was 65 years ago. Anyone under 70 will barely remember that.
    Even Boris would be better than that loser
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

IanB2 said:

Bizarre as it may sound, if you look carefully at the data, there is *still* a significant minority of the much-depleted SLab vote which is pro-independence. Although the numbers are not high, these people could be decisive in one or two tight seats.
    not a Scottish subsample surely...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited July 2019

IanB2 said:

They would form a subsample of a subsample of a subsample if true :p
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Its too little, too late.

If Labour want to credibly run a different Brexit policy, they have to change leader first to someone like Watson or Phillips.
    The most underreported group in British politics at present comprises those people who voted Labour in 2017 and who are now not supporting them. That makes up 15-20% of the population. But while there are plenty of Labour loyalists still making their views known and plenty of people who never liked Labour making their views known, public statements from members of this very sizeable group are really quite hard to come by.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Boris aides were rumoured to be looking at early autumn for a general election.

Given the current Commons refuses to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement and refuses to back No Deal trying for a majority is probably the only way to ensure Brexit can be delivered now by October 31st. In any case with Hammond and Grieve set to VONC a Boris Government than allow the risk of No Deal Boris may not have a choice anyway
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Doesn’t dispute Trumps point that May and the Civil Service borked up Brexit I note...
    Not even the finest Civil Service could polish the turd of Brexit to an acceptable sheen.

and a perfect reason why I cannot support the Party, its gone mad. stark staring bonkers.
    To be fair, the signs have been there a long time. Remember John Major’s bastards.

IanB2 said:

LOL, so they have no choice , unless you count the carpetbagger as NOT London based.
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Cameron was the first to mess up Brexit by preventing the senior Civil Service from doing it's job before an election; a 'what if'
    edited July 2019

IanB2 said:

Better still, a subsample of a Scottish subsample!

Many diehard Remainers would now describe 52% of the electorate as 'far right'
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Not even the finest Civil Service could polish the turd of Brexit to an acceptable sheen.

If true our broken rabble of Remainer taxpayer funded fatcat pensioned incompetents still did a crap job.

IanB2 said:

You would need to be brain dead to vote Lib Dem in Scotland
  • Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Apologies if I’m not the first, but has anyone noted there appears to be a cockatoo on the front of the Times? (Say it out loud. I’ll wait)

https://twitter.com/indiaknight/status/1148349457077088263?s=20
    edited July 2019

I’m not expecting an early election for the simple reason that the Conservatives would lose and lose badly.

According to last night's Comres poll while May and Hunt see a Corbyn minority government, Boris gives a Tory majority government
    HYUFD said:

Willing to suspend democracy? Yes.
    See Islam as a threat to the British way of life? Yes.
    See the benefits of immigration outweighed by the disadvantages? Yes.

The Conservative party is becoming a haven for extremists.

Apologies if I’m not the first, but has anyone noted there appears to be a cockatoo on the front of the Times? (Say it out loud. I’ll wait)

Perhaps it is this unlikely anarchist?

https://twitter.com/keatxngrant/status/1147237365678845952?s=19
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    HYUFD said:

I don't see what you gain, rhetorically, from using the term diehard Remainer. You could add easily and as meaninglessly take any other minority societal group. Dentists, EDLers, redheads, etc.
    rcs1000 said:

He can try to call an election immediately to take place in September. But because his party played games to avoid him facing a ught were jobs for life, he may find his own guys fail to show up as well.

That's not Boris's plan.

No Deal will not destory the Tories, even at worst it would take them down to 25%.

No Brexit however could destroy the Tories and take it down to less than 10% as in the European Parliament elections with the Brexit Party over 30%
    1st gay pirate : “ Have you ever tasted parrot ?”

2nd gay pirate : “ No, but I’ve eaten a cockatoo “
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    On topic, it's worth noting the £6k looking to back the election this year at 2.32.
  • malcolmg said:

eristdoof said:

Yes only cheating was done by the cretinous colonists
    Morning Malky!

You're not making to much sense but I can explain to posters and lurkers how the separatists vote-rigged indyref1-

1. They used a question that miraculously managed to leave out the term "United Kingdom". Can you imagine the EUref without the term "European Union" ?. It was extremely silly. For shame Electoral Commission.

2. They expanded the franchise purely as a (correct) gamble that the youth would be more nationalistic. Expand the franchise all you want - but as a one off just to push up your vote share it was rather disgusting.

And you still lost!

Roll on #indyref2

The hairstyle is somehow familiar - but if you're suggesting that Trump is birdbrained, that would be an insult to all Psittaciformes.

Anyone got the gossip on the Trump-Murdoch falling out?
    Wishful thinking from Rudd; surely the Tories are too far gone:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/i-have-debated-boris-and-jeremy-can-win-this-rvp5hvnsr
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Cameron was the first to mess up Brexit by preventing the senior Civil Service from doing it's job before an election; a 'what if'

If Cameron had allowed the civil service to prepare for No Deal, Brexiteers would have whined even more loudly about Project Fear.

Cameron couldn't legislate for what those who came after would do
    HYUFD said:

According to last night's Comres poll while May and Hunt see a Corbyn minority government, Boris gives a Tory majority government
    Don't you mean to say, he's lost the Tories 100 seats even before taking office?
    HYUFD said:

According to polls in April 2017, the Conservatives were heading for a majority of 200. I read very little into hypothetical polls at a time when they are very volatile. It is better to look at how an election campaign might play out.

And strategically the Conservatives' position is awful. If the election is made about Brexit, the Brexit party is going to peel off a chunk of Conservative vote everywhere while Brecon & Radnor is showing that Remain-supporting parties are gearing up to work together in the short term in the seats where it counts.

The Conservatives would be lucky if they only lost 100 seats.
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

Refuse to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement or No Deal or any form of the Brexit 52% voted for and refuse to respect democracy then diehard Remainers should not be surprised extremism begets extremism.

Plus support for an Australian style points system as Boris wants is hardly Fascism
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Refuse to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement or No Deal or any form of the Brexit 52% voted for and refuse to respect democracy then diehard Remainers should not be surprised extremism begets extremism.

Plus support for an Australian style points system as Boris wants is hardly Fascism
    "Refuse to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement" which would otherwise have passed?
    The ERG
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The very people who want to suspend democracy were the very people who refused to vote for the withdrawal agreement. This is a systematic assault on democracy and you are cheering it on.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    HYUFD is the new Plato.
    Utterly bonkers on high rotate.
  • StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Scott_P said:
    I fear our unwritten constitution and system of checks and balances based on mere custom will prove inadequate to withstand sustained attack.

On topic, it's worth noting the £6k looking to back the election this year at 2.32.

Noted.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

I agree - a view reinforced, it has to be said, by the string of rabid no dealer expats we have suffered on here, eagerly urging a crashout edit on the rest of us from a safe distance. If they come back to live here, obviously they get to vote. Until then, not.
    So the 'principle' you're talking about amounts to denying a democratic right to those whose views you dislike. As a remain voting immigrant living in Spain and paying UK taxes I think your argument stinks.
This discussion has been closed.