Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will Corbyn be Labour leader at the next general election?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will Corbyn be Labour leader at the next general election?

At first glance this market from Ladbrokes seems like an easy way to earn a 40% return as it seems we are headed for an early election with Boris Johnson’s actions indicating that’s where we will end up. An early election gives no realistic way for Corbyn to be removed or stand down as Labour leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    I’d be very surprised if Corbyn is ousted this year.
    (FPT)

AndyJS said:

Australia must be favourites once the target goes over 200.

Favorites now. England have had it. Aussie bowlers all fit and one of them is one of the best spinners in the world.

Regulars readers will know what I think of the Test Selectors, so won't be surprised that I think that whoever decided to play an unfit bowler should resign. No chance of it happening though, if only because there's a whole bunch of them and none of them ever own up to making a decision.
    You’ll be alarmed to hear that Boycott agrees with you.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    2nd
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    In fairness @leslie48 the Tories should be equally ashamed of themselves for electing their own form of Corbyn as leader.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2019
    I hope England at least make some what of a game of it, as I don't want to go to the match tomorrow for only a couple of hours of play.
    edited August 2019

I hope England at least make some what of a game of it, as I don't want to go to the match tomorrow for only a couple of hours of play.

Lyon could be a handful tomorrow.
    Given their predicament, England might be best treating the last innings as an ODI and send Bairstow in with Roy to open....
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Rain is forecast until lunch.....
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,263
    What kind of a lead will Australia want before declaring?

Whatever they have with an hour left today.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

They'd like 400 of course but there probably won't be time for that, so 350 possibly.

I would guess they'll declare just over an hour after tea.

Two goes with the new ball then.
  • ydoethur said:

I would guess they'll declare just over an hour after tea.

Two goes with the new ball then.
    They will need 350. They shouldn't need 350, but I don't think you can risk declaring with less, because if England do manage to bat all tomorrow they will be close if it is only 300.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151
    Following on from the last thread, in terms of a temporary caretaker PM, I actually think it wouldn't be impossible if Caroline Lucas was appointed.
    Think about it. While Byronic and rcs1000 might be right about pro-EU Tories never supporting Corbyn in any circumstances, they might temporarily support a lefty who didn't have quite the same baggage as him, in order to get an extension from Brussels. And if Corbyn was to support a PM other than himself, it would have to be someone on the left who wasn't in the Labour Party, and who had no chance of winning the subsequent GE. She certainly has value anyway at 100/1.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    HYUFD said:

What is wrong with the system is the failure of Parliamentarians to respect the Leave vote by either voting for the Withdrawal Agreement or No Deal

No, it is not the fault of MPs. It is the fault of the Conservative Government from 2016 and the manner in which they chose unilaterally to interpret the result of the 23/6/16 vote. Instead of seeking to open the discussion and unite the country, they shut down debate, told us all we should trust Theresa (which, as it turned out, we didn't) and spent more time trying to keep their fractured little band together.

I didn't vote LEAVE to see us crash out without a Deal - I couldn't conceive of a Government so inept as to allow such a thing to happen. We've wasted three and a half years not sorting out all the other problems and issues facing the country or rather your Party has. It's time to draw stumps and cut our losses.

As for the WA, the genius of Theresa May and her team was in evolving a 585-page mass of legalese which could mean anything to anyone (and presumably they assumed it would be acceptable on that basis). Unfortunately, when people couldn't see what they wanted to see in the morass of verbiage they assumed the worst - it's either an incredibly soft Brexit or it's too hard. Thus, May has managed to antagonise everybody and seen her WA crash and burn.

I'm sure there was a satisfactory deal to be had but May spent too much time trying to come up with something she could sell to the Conservative Party she forgot she had to sell it to everyone else (including the 48% who voted REMAIN and have a say in all this).
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Following the discussion on the previous thread, one thing occurred to me that is probably completely barking:

- VoNC
    - We are now in new territory.
    - The House states "Until the House shall affirm confidence in a Prime Minister, the Speaker of the House/Father of the House [delete as appropriate] is empowered to request an extension to the Article 50 period in order to ensure an orderly departure from the European Union"

Following on from the last thread, in terms of a temporary caretaker PM, I actually think it wouldn't be impossible if Caroline Lucas was appointed.
    Think about it. While Byronic and rcs1000 might be right about pro-EU Tories never supporting Corbyn in any circumstances, they might temporarily support a lefty who didn't have quite the same baggage as him, in order to get an extension from Brussels. And if Corbyn was to support a PM other than himself, it would have to be someone on the left who wasn't in the Labour Party, and who had no chance of winning the subsequent GE. She certainly has value anyway at 100/1.

Why not Swinson?! Her party are 3rd in the polls nationwide (sometimes 2nd). They just won Brecon. They are a big, established, nationwide party. She's not a rabid lefty like Lucas yet she would be acceptable to many Labour MPs (and to the Greens, Plaid, maybe the SNP).

If Labour can't come up with a decent GNU leader, or Corbyn is unprepared to do wild, unprecedented compromises, then Swinson is the obvious next choice.

edited August 2019
    In reality 275 would be enough 90% of the time, but a captain who declares and loses is never forgiven which is why they have to get about 100 to 150 runs more than are probably needed.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    @AlastairMeeks predicted at the start of the year that none of the then party leaders would be in the office by the end of the year. 2 down so far...
    edited August 2019
    AndyJS said:

In reality 275 would be enough 90% of the time, but a captain who declares and loses is never forgiven which is why they have to get about 100 to 150 runs more than are probably needed.

Its like coaches that go for 4th downs in the nfl. All the stats say they should be going for a lot more of them, but if it doesnt work out once they get slated.
    edited August 2019
    Another terrible decision by the umpire. It wasnt even close.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,151
    Byronic said:

Why not Swinson?! Her party are 3rd in the polls nationwide (sometimes 2nd). They just won Brecon. They are a big, established, nationwide party. She's not a rabid lefty like Lucas yet she would be acceptable to many Labour MPs (and to the Greens, Plaid, maybe the SNP).

If Labour can't come up with a decent GNU leader, or Corbyn is unprepared to do wild, unprecedented compromises, then Swinson is the obvious next choice.

Swinson was part of the 'evil, pro-austerity Coalition', so is no a go as far Corbyn is concerned. Also if she became temporary PM, she might have an outside chance of winning enough seats in the forthcoming GE to actually form a government. I don't think anyone thinks the Green Party is going to win the next election, regardless of what happens between now and Halloween.
    The reality is anyone who is going to be caretaker PM needs Corbyn's support. Swinson would never get it, but Lucas actually might.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited August 2019
    Byronic said:

As I've said, I expect Corbyn to make the necessary compromises, in particular an early election once the postponement of No Deal exit has been agreed. I don't actually think a GNU is a runner - the time available is too short.

But if there was one, I can just about see it being led by Lucas, as the Greens are not really seen as a major threat. Clarke would I think be accepted for the same reason. Swinson would not be acceptable to centrist Labour MPs, because she represents a direct alternative, in the same way that if there was a Coca-Cola ingredient shortage, they might accept a temporary supply from an Indian firm, but they certainly wouldn't offer Pepsi. If a GNU were to work at all, it would need to be seen as not shifting the landscape of British politics as a desired or undesired side-effect.
    edited August 2019
    Smart tactics by Mercedes.
    Certain second place, and the off chance of stealing the win. Keeps him in clear air, too, which will be kinder on the car.

And if nothing else, gives him fastest lap.
    Good grief.

Did someone just suspend the laws of physics, or did the umpire just commit another howler?
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    If Johnson tried to hang on in No 10 having lost a VNOC, it strikes me as unlikely that the Tories would maintain a united front. Not difficult to imagine people such as Kenneth Clarke and Nicholas Soames - even John Major - accusing him of acting with impropriety.
    Nigelb said:

Keeps him in clear air, too, which will be kinder on the car.

Are you saying he was struggling in a murk?
  • Byronic said:

As I've said, I expect Corbyn to make the necessary compromises, in particular an early election once the postponement of No Deal exit has been agreed. I don't actually think a GNU is a runner - the time available is too short.

But if there was one, I can just about see it being led by Lucas, as the Greens are not really seen as a major threat. Clarke would I think be accepted for the same reason. Swinson would not be acceptable to centrist Labour MPs, because she represents a direct alternative, in the same way that if there was a Coca-Cola ingredient shortage, they might accept a temporary supply from an Indian firm, but they certainly wouldn't offer Pepsi. If a GNU were to work at all, it would need to be seen as not shifting the landscape of British politics as a desired or undesired side-effect.
    With respect Nick how anyone thinks Caroline Lucas could become pm in a GONU amazes me.

To be fair there are several conservative and labour mps who could undertake the role including Ken Clarke and Hilary Benn

The other query I have is your comment that once a no deal brexit has been agreed.

How do you see the mechanics of this coming about
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I’ll cede that to you.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Byronic said:

You've answered your own question.

Labour Remainers won't want to legitimise the LibDems.
  • justin124 said:

If Johnson tried to hang on in No 10 having lost a VNOC, it strikes me as unlikely that the Tories would maintain a united front. Not difficult to imagine people such as Kenneth Clarke and Nicholas Soames - even John Major - accusing him of acting with impropriety.

Have to more than just name call

Byronic said:

Swinson was part of the 'evil, pro-austerity Coalition', so is no a go as far Corbyn is concerned. Also if she became temporary PM, she might have an outside chance of winning enough seats in the forthcoming GE to actually form a government. I don't think anyone thinks the Green Party is going to win the next election, regardless of what happens between now and Halloween.
    The reality is anyone who is going to be caretaker PM needs Corbyn's support. Swinson would never get it, but Lucas actually might.
    Yes, that's a fair point (and I see NPXMP makes it, too). However I don't think we can rule anything out. MPs might go completely AWOL by October, and all party management will collapse, under the pressure of No Deal V No Brexit. And then, who knows? No one.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I’ll cede that to you.

Good, or else we'll be going round the Benz.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited August 2019

Byronic said:

With respect Nick how anyone thinks Caroline Lucas could become pm in a GONU amazes me.

To be fair there are several conservative and labour mps who could undertake the role including Ken Clarke and Hilary Benn

The other query I have is your comment that once a no deal brexit has been agreed.

How do you see the mechanics of this coming about
    The Greens are even more extreme than the exremists in Labour and the Tories, that's literally their pitch that Labour are not extreme enough, so any member of them is clearly unsuitable to be a leader of a government of unity. Lucas doesn't get a pass.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    Nigelb said:

I’d be very surprised if Corbyn is ousted this year.

Depends how badly he loses an election....
  • I have a feeling i will be having a miserable day tomorrow watching England collapse.
  • I have a feeling i will be having a miserable day tomorrow watching England collapse.

Or getting wet.

Odds evens on Aussie or draw according to Sky, no doubt taking into account the weather forecast
    edited August 2019

I have a feeling i will be having a miserable day tomorrow watching England collapse.

Or getting wet.

Odds evens on Aussie or draw according to Sky, no doubt taking into account the weather forecast
    I am in the skyline stand, so dont have to worry about that. Is a great view from up there (and covered)....and the bar is only a few steps away.

I have a feeling i will be having a miserable day tomorrow watching England collapse.

Or getting wet.

Sounds a fairly miserable prospect.
    I recommend alcohol.

You're lucky only to have a feeling. I have a certainty.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

Byronic said:

A GNU would have no agreed programme other than to deal with Brexit. How would it do that? By a second referendum. But that would require acommitment to implement the outcome. Swinson and Lucas have already said they wouldn't accept a second Leave vote.

That GNU is going to turn out to be a wild beast....
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I’ll cede that to you.

It wasn’t the silver arrows who had shot their bolt.

That was a mugging.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I’ll cede that to you.

That was a mugging.
    That ending was just a load of bull.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I’ll cede that to you.

That was a mugging.
    With red faces on their pit lane wall.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited August 2019
    Corbyn doesn't look to be going anywhere to me. More staying power than Smith.
    edited August 2019
    Unpleasant and inept though Liz Truss undoubtedly is, do we really want to give space on PB to tweets from a forger, propagandist, liar and racist like Mendoza?

I know we have the Trump/Farage precedent but they actually have a meaningful bearing on world events.
    edited August 2019
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I’ll cede that to you.

That was a mugging.
    Dammit, I can't add another pun.

You're just too high energy.
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I’ll cede that to you.

That was a mugging.
    Dammit, I can't add another pun.

You're just too high energy.
    That gives me a real sugar rush.

Off to do stuff. Later.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    ydoethur said:

Unpleasant and inept though Liz Truss undoubtedly is, do we really want to give space on PB to tweets from a forger, propagandist, liar and racist like Mendoza?

I know we have the Trump/Farage precedent but they actually have a meaningful bearing on world events.
    There's a huge volume of material posted from Twitter recently as if PB was a retweet. I don't know what the answer is.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: better race than I expected but all the bets failed :p

Be intrigued to see what this does to Verstappen's title odds. They were 17.
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn doesn't look to be going anywhere to me. More staying power than Smith.

He did pretty well when he was up against a bloke called Smith.

England should think laterally and call him up for Lord's.

Or getting wet.

For the last time, I humbly point PBers to this comment I made yesterday afternoon

"Byronic Posts: 919
    August 3

Actually, that unhappy weather forecast might offer VALUE

If the BBC weather-site is right we will lose afternoon and evening sessions tomorrow.....

A draw is 22/1 right now."

• mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited August 2019

ydoethur said:

There's a huge volume of material posted from Twitter recently as if PB was a retweet. I don't know what the answer is.
    Treat those who spend their time posting it without showing any evidence of original, or indeed any, thought with the contempt they deserve? Ignore it [viewing without a VPN in China will force you to do that by default - it’s no material loss].
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: better race than I expected but all the bets failed :p

Be intrigued to see what this does to Verstappen's title odds. They were 17.

Issa Winnar :)

You're not thinking of backing Verstappen for the title are you???
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    As the above poll shows removing Corbyn as Labour leader barely changes the Tory and Brexit Party vote, Tories down 2% and Brexit Party unchanged.

The main change is the LDs down 5% with those voters going Labour. So the longer Corbyn and Corbynism stays the greater the threat the LDs pose to Labour, with Corbyn as Labour leader the LDs are 3rd and just 7% behind Labour, without Corbyn as Labour leader the LDs are 4th and 21% behind Labour
    edited August 2019
    Byronic said:

Or getting wet.

For the last time, I humbly point PBers to this comment I made yesterday afternoon

"Byronic Posts: 919
    August 3

Actually, that unhappy weather forecast might offer VALUE

If the BBC weather-site is right we will lose afternoon and evening sessions tomorrow.....

A draw is 22/1 right now."

Edit.
  • Why the bloody hell is Joe Root bowling with the new ball?
    Mr. Indyref, he'd be 50 points behind and worth a look if he'd won today. As it is, Hamilton stretched his advantage.

I do think Red Bull should be tasty at some circuits, especially Singapore, and they've developed a lot. Not sure they have the races to capitalise, though.
  • Mr. Indyref, he'd be 50 points behind and worth a look if he'd won today. As it is, Hamilton stretched his advantage.

I do think Red Bull should be tasty at some circuits, especially Singapore, and they've developed a lot. Not sure they have the races to capitalise, though.

You are!

Well you might get some value I guess.

Truth be told my qualifying betfair min bet of Vettel has eaten into my margins this weekend (He came fifth in a five-way - But I was getting 20/1!)
  • RE:thread header

Not like TSE to be so equivocal in his betting advice.
  • Mr. Indyref, he'd be 50 points behind and worth a look if he'd won today. As it is, Hamilton stretched his advantage.

Is there some way of backing both Lewis and Max for the title? I do think the title race is between them two.

I've backed the pair last two races and made profit each time.
    Mr. Indyref, not sure what they are but the odds on Hamilton will be very very short now.

Is there some way of backing both Lewis and Max for the title? I do think the title race is between them two.

Lol Hamilton at 1.06 so no
  • Mr. Indyref, not sure what they are but the odds on Hamilton will be very very short now.

Yeah I DMOR - Max still at 17, not moved
  • I hate it when the strips clash that badly - Why is this allowed to happened in 21C ???
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Mr. Indyref, he'd be 50 points behind and worth a look if he'd won today. As it is, Hamilton stretched his advantage.

Not a surprise after what happened today. 1.06 is basically betting against him getting injured and missing a load of races. Vettel and Bottas are both falling away, and Verstappen is so far back that he can win every race remaining and Lewis can come second and still win the title.

However much Mercedes pay strategist James Vowles, he’s worth every penny of it. (Probably 20 or 30 million pennies).
  • Sandpit said:

Not a surprise after what happened today. 1.06 is basically betting against him getting injured and missing a load of races. Vettel and Bottas are both falling away, and Verstappen is so far back that he can win every race remaining and Lewis can come second and still win the title.

However much Mercedes pay strategist James Vowles, he’s worth every penny of it. (Probably 20 or 30 million pennies).
    Well as nailed on as he is I ain't backing at that price. Race by race there might be some of that elusive Value.
  • JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited August 2019

Sandpit said:

Well as nailed on as he is I ain't backing at that price. Race by race there might be some of that elusive Value.
    Next one in a months time - summer break nicely timed to coincide with the start of the footie season - It's almost like Sky Sports don't let you cancel.

Sandpit said:

Indeed. Much better off putting your money on the cricket, and on individual races between now and the end of the season.
  • According to cricwiz, england now only have a 3% chance of winning.
    edited August 2019
    BBC News - Brighton Pride: Beach covered with laughing gas canisters
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-49225631

Apparently the big scandal is the danger to the animals...not the human drug taking on a mass scale. People need to find a more eco friendly method of getting off their tits.

According to cricwiz, england now only have a 3% chance of winning.

That’s rather optimistic.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Apparently the big scandal is the danger to the animals...not the human drug taking on a mass scale. People need to find a more eco friendly method of getting off their tits.

Is that what they are? The same canisters are used for ice cream, are they not? How can the beach-cleaners tell the difference?
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

What is wrong with the system is the failure of Parliamentarians to respect the Leave vote by either voting for the Withdrawal Agreement or No Deal

No, it is not the fault of MPs. It is the fault of the Conservative Government from 2016 and the manner in which they chose unilaterally to interpret the result of the 23/6/16 vote. Instead of seeking to open the discussion and unite the country, they shut down debate, told us all we should trust Theresa (which, as it turned out, we didn't) and spent more time trying to keep their fractured little band together.
    I didn't vote LEAVE to see us crash out without a Deal - I couldn't conceive of a Government so inept as to allow such a thing to happen. We've wasted three and a half years not sorting out all the other problems and issues facing the country or rather your Party has. It's time to draw stumps and cut our losses.
    As for the WA, the genius of Theresa May and her team was in evolving a 585-page mass of legalese which could mean anything to anyone (and presumably they assumed it would be acceptable on that basis). Unfortunately, when people couldn't see what they wanted to see in the morass of verbiage they assumed the worst - it's either an incredibly soft Brexit or it's too hard. Thus, May has managed to antagonise everybody and seen her WA crash and burn.
    I'm sure there was a satisfactory deal to be had but May spent too much time trying to come up with something she could sell to the Conservative Party she forgot she had to sell it to everyone else (including the 48% who voted REMAIN and have a say in all this).
    Absolutely, Mr Stodge, I couldn`t agree with you more. The whole Brexit nonsense has been a squalid little attempt to patch up internal disputes within the Conservatives - and the slight infection within the Conservative Party has now spread to the entire country.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    ydoethur said:

In fairness @leslie48 the Tories should be equally ashamed of themselves for electing their own form of Corbyn as leader.

That’s unfair to Corbyn (four words I have never before uttered in that order). Corbyn does at least have principles and a burning, if misguided, desire to make the world a better place. ABDPJohnson just wants to be world king.
    edited August 2019

Not sure I quite understand this comment.

I expect it is something disreputable, and to do with the Conservative Party.
  • PClipp said:

Environmental activist and blogger Clare Osborn, of Clare Talks Rubbish, is one of Ocean's 8 and said: "We sound like the fun police, but people really need to find more sustainable ways to have fun.

"Every one of these canisters comes with a balloon, and they are so incredibly dangerous and deadly to wildlife, which can mistake the bits of balloon for food."
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Shouldn't Aussies be declaring by now?
  • PClipp said:

I expect it is something disreputable, and to do with the Conservative Party.
    He's taking an anti-hedonist stance. Yeah, I guess you're right; not quite understandable
  • Shouldn't Aussies be declaring by now?

They are still going to get an hour at England.

The question is what is the under / over on the time I shall be leaving Edgbaston tomorrow having witnessed England get stuffed?
    HYUFD said:

As the above poll shows removing Corbyn as Labour leader barely changes the Tory and Brexit Party vote, Tories down 2% and Brexit Party unchanged.

The main change is the LDs down 5% with those voters going Labour. So the longer Corbyn and Corbynism stays the greater the threat the LDs pose to Labour, with Corbyn as Labour leader the LDs are 3rd and just 7% behind Labour, without Corbyn as Labour leader the LDs are 4th and 21% behind Labour

Sounds like HY talking up the Labour Party.

This must be because his Tory HQ friends see the Lib Dems as the greatest threat to Tory hegemony.
    PClipp said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

No,is).
    Absolutely, Mr Stodge, I couldn`t agree with you more. The whole Brexit nonsense has been a squalid little attempt to patch up internal disputes within the Conservatives - and the slight infection within the Conservative Party has now spread to the entire country.
    The "whole Brexit nonsense" is the fault of europhiles, over 40 long years, pretending that we weren't losing any sovereignty, that the EU was just a trading bloc, that there were no plans for a Federal this or EU-wide that, even as everyone could see with their own eyes that this was happening.

To add to this, and much worse, europhiles compounded the deceit with a series of wholly fraudulent offers of referendums - which were then taken away, or forgotten, when it became more politically convenient to ignore the voters.

This built up the pressure which was finally released in the most damaging away, as a vote for OUT. It could have been avoided, entirely, if europhiles had once - just once - given a vote on any of the previous contentious Treaties.

That famous line from Chernobyl is horribly apt.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, the debt is paid"

The endless lies of the europhiles incurred a terrible debt. The repayment was Brexit.

The question is what is the under / over on the time I shall be leaving Edgbaston tomorrow having witnessed England get stuffed?
    I think you’ve already witnessed that - they seem to have given up.
    Tomorrow will be attending the last rites; dress in black.
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds like HY talking up the Labour Party.

This must be because his Tory HQ friends see the Lib Dems as the greatest threat to Tory hegemony.
    No, there are currently more Tory v Labour marginals than Tory v LD marginals but as Deltapoll shows there are quite a few Remainers who will only vote Labour under a non Corbyn leader, otherwise they will vote LD.

As I have said before the only Labour leader I can actually see beating Boris is David Miliband were he to return from being Prince across the Water, for the moment as Deltapoll shows the LDs mainly divide the non Tory vote, it would take at least 1 more general election and Corbynism to maintain control of Labour for the LDs actually to have a chance of leading a government, maybe under Chuka Umunna
  • On topic - kinda

I've already laid Oct 19 as next general election because of peer pressure on here. So that's all well and good. I'm thinking of laying more - my only question is.... Do I have to wait until 2020 to be paid?

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.154849135

Rain is forecast in the morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650236

In any other match than the first Test of an away (for them) Ashes series, yes.

But given the match, they’d rather declare too late and take the draw.
    PClipp said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

If it were only that, we wouldn’t be where we are.
    Though I’m quite happy to apportion the bulk of the blame to the Conservatives.
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Nope, the Withdrawal Agreement met the requirements of the EU ie the exit Bill, citizens' rights and the Irish border to move to the transition period.

The political declaration regarding the future relationship to be negotiated in the transition period was non binding and could have included single market membership or a Canada style FTA depending on how things worked out.

By rejecting the Withdrawal Agreement diehard Remainers made No Deal inevitable and have nobody to blame but themselves
    To be fair, England look totally knackered, as well they might - having just come from winning the World Cup, for the very first time, in the greatest game of sport in the history of sport.

They must be physically AND emotionally drained. And motivation must be lacking. The Ashes, however historic, cannot match that World Cup win.
    edited August 2019
    Sandpit said:

In any other match than the first Test of an away (for them) Ashes series, yes.

But given the match, they’d rather declare too late and take the draw.
    Indeed, they can't afford to even give England a 1% chance of getting the runs.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    No Deal Brexit combined with a massive US-China trade war.

Fasten your seatbelts.

Listen to the ignoramus-in-chief.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1157023746005381120
  • 360 ahead. Surely that is plenty now.
    It’s clearly not a direct comparison, but I’d note that kind of language is near identical to that used in the lead up to the Rwandan genocide.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Actual lol at this paragraph from https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/04/trigger-ballots-prove-an-unwelcome-distraction-for-under-fire-labour-mps :

However, the group [Momentum]’s mass campaign on the [trigger ballot] issue has also sparked some member mix-ups. “Some members are demanding them in seats where they don’t even have Labour MPs and have to be reminded that first they need to help elect a Labour MP and then they can worry about deselecting them,” one party source said.

360 ahead. Surely that is plenty now.

They'll go for 400 I think.
This discussion has been closed.