Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blind to justice

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blind to justice

In less febrile times, the police’s behaviour in Operation Midland ought to be a national scandal:

Read the full story here

Comments

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited August 2019
    Interesting piece. Thanks CycleFree :)

Oh and first like Boris!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,726
    with Dominic Cummings, every week is crime week.

Interesting, but depressing thread header. Thanks Cyclefree.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    3rd, like Labour in Autumn GE.
    ydoethur said:

with Dominic Cummings, every week is crime week.

Interesting, but depressing thread header. Thanks Cyclefree.

It's Just endless distraction, to keep people from thinking about panic buying and losing their jobs and homes.
    But none of them are allowed to vote on account of certain provisions in the Mental Health Act.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

Boris set to win big in the election? :D

The SNP wish to enter a formal protest at the implications of this post.
    GIN1138 said:

Boris set to win big in the election? :D
    Can't tell you. I have signed the Official Secrets Act.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836
    So true. The legal system is massively important but there are no votes in it other than 'more bobbies on the beat' and 'prisons are not holiday camps' and 'life should mean life' type stuff.

What we need is a powerhouse intellect with a passion for reform and an eye for detail in the position of Home Secretary. Somebody who will get under the bonnet and fix the sort of things the header refers to.

In the meantime we struggle on.
    Has she mentioned this to the curry restaurant owners who were told by Leave that they would be able to get more chefs and staff from former India/Pakistan etc?

Has she mentioned this to the curry restaurant owners who were told by Leave that they would be able to get more chefs and staff from former India/Pakistan etc?
    They've probably already had enough of her sauce.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    What a joke, these people are thick. That means little to no immigration for Scotland and it is needed big time. They have a death wish for sure.
    ydoethur said:

She needs a good Tikka n off
    I fear civil unrest if we pay migrants that much.

It's well above what most Brits earn.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

That is brilliant.

I'm struggling to think of a korma back.
    kinabalu said:

I just wonder how people as dumb as this get into these positions.
    kinabalu said:

A university lecturer would start on around 35 full time.

So it is very high skilled, highly qualified she's talking about.

I wonder whether she will change her mind when she realises how many maths teachers on around 23 are from Eastern Europe?
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

That is brilliant.

That is a poori response
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, my fellow residents of the Hotel California.

Miss Cyclefree, well, quite. The police have not covered themselves in glory. Again.
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

I wonder whether she will change her mind when she realises how many maths teachers on around 23 are from Eastern Europe?
    Meanwhile over at the NHS...
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited August 2019
    kinabalu said:

Why? surely it's what Brexiters want -> Local (poorly paid) jobs for local people...

Which does tie in rather well with this paper here

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/08/technology-employment-multiplier-effect-inequality-research/595291/

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

add hospitality and tourist sector
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

That is brilliant.

My Nan could do better....

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

That is brilliant.

we need to chaat about that
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

That is brilliant.

That is a poori response
    He's not much of a raita.....

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

That is brilliant.

That is a poori response
    He's not much of a raita.....
    he does have good pattor though
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    malcolmg said:

Has HY posted the Scottish sub-sample from the new Opinium yet? No? I’m shocked. And he’s usually so diligent with them. I wonder why?

SNP 44%
    SCon 20%
    SLab 18%
    SLD 8%
    Grn 5%
    Bxp 4%

https://www.opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/VI-08-08-19-Tables.xlsx

Big Lib Dem surge I see
    Swinson sub-10% during her honeymoon does not bode well if there is indeed a snap election.

For starters, her own seat is looking very shaky, so she’ll be distracted by local firefighting.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    Oh really, that's just fake news. We all know Donald Trump has long, thick, powerful, sexy, phallic fingers. All the better to grab women's genitals with.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Wretched performance by England in the rugby today. Unless wholesale changes are enacted - both tactically and across every level of personnel - they won't even get out of the World Cup group stage. Wales, in contrast, were magnificent as always.

malcolmg said:

Has HY posted the Scottish sub-sample from the new Opinium yet? No? I’m shocked. And he’s usually so diligent with them. I wonder why?

SNP 44%
    SCon 20%
    SLab 18%
    SLD 8%
    Grn 5%
    Bxp 4%

Big Lib Dem surge I see
    Swinson sub-10% during her honeymoon does not bode well if there is indeed a snap election.

For starters, her own seat is looking very shaky, so she’ll be distracted by local firefighting.
    But the people in the Tory Führerbunker must be praying for that Lib Dem revival to hold out. The last thing they want is a return to the two-party system.
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    The rule of law is deteriorating, and all the signs are that it will continue to do. This is part of a broader problem, which is the decline of civilisation. I have been observing this for the past 20 years, but only became conscious of it in the last 2.
    The current government are the latest variants of a liberal elite who are trying to arrest the decline of civilisation by pandering to the mob. This is a story that rarely ends well, as history attests.
  • blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    kinabalu said:

So true. The legal system is massively important but there are no votes in it other than 'more bobbies on the beat' and 'prisons are not holiday camps' and 'life should mean life' type stuff.

What we need is a powerhouse intellect with a passion for reform and an eye for detail in the position of Home Secretary. Somebody who will get under the bonnet and fix the sort of things the header refers to.

In the meantime we struggle on.

"What we need is a powerhouse intellect with a passion for reform and an eye for detail in the position of Home Secretary"

How fortunate that Labour has just such a person raring to go!
    eek said:

Why? surely it's what Brexiters want -> Local (poorly paid) jobs for local people...

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/08/technology-employment-multiplier-effect-inequality-research/595291/

Ah OK, yes I suppose so.

I was misunderstanding the policy. Was imagining the following conversation between a migrant waiter and his boss.

"I need a pay rise."

"Sorry, Viktor, £22k is the going rate."

"Not now it isn't. I have to earn £36k if I want to live here. It's the law."
    Chris said:

malcolmg said:

SNP 44%
    SCon 20%
    SLab 18%
    SLD 8%
    Grn 5%
    Bxp 4%

Big Lib Dem surge I see

But the people in the Tory Führerbunker must be praying for that Lib Dem revival to hold out. The last thing they want is a return to the two-party system.
    During the seventeen year term of Boris the Glorious, get used to the return of the one party system......

So could my old pop ...

padom.
    edited August 2019
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

I wonder whether Priti Patel's parents would have been able to come to the UK under the rules she is proposing now. It's such an obvious question, but maybe the press are now too stupid or compliant to ask it.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

It's OK, £36k in devalued post-Brexit Freedom Pounds will be worth roughly £23k today.
    kinabalu said:

So could my old pop ...

padom.
    You need a dosa medicine
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

There will be exceptions made for relevant sectors of the working population. These exceptions will bear no resemblance to whether that sector votes for the Conservative Party or contributes money to it. Oh dear me no. Entirely uncorrupt. Silly to even suggest otherwise.
  • blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Chris said:

malcolmg said:

SNP 44%
    SCon 20%
    SLab 18%
    SLD 8%
    Grn 5%
    Bxp 4%

Big Lib Dem surge I see

To be precise, the Lib Dem revival has to hold out out in the rest of the UK for the time being - Scotland is a different matter.
    Scotland remaining a one-party state isn't the worst thing in the world for the Tories. If Scotland stays in the union, SNP domination makes a Labour majority very difficult. If the SNP takes Scotland out, then even the current dire Tory parliamentary position magically becomes an overall majority...
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

Ah OK, yes I suppose so.

I was misunderstanding the policy. Was imagining the following conversation between a migrant waiter and his boss.

"I need a pay rise."

"Sorry, Viktor, £22k is the going rate."

"Not now it isn't. I have to earn £36k if I want to live here. It's the law."
    The logic is presumably that bosses will then offer say 27k and the local population will take up the slack.

The reality is they will offer 16k in the black economy and we will lose all tax and NI contributions from them.
    Scott_P said:
    Proof that Remainers can be just as witless as Leavers?
    kinabalu said:

So could my old pop ...

padom.
    Ooh aloo, gobi!

Chris said:

malcolmg said:

SNP 44%
    SCon 20%
    SLab 18%
    SLD 8%
    Grn 5%
    Bxp 4%

Big Lib Dem surge I see

During the seventeen year term of Boris the Glorious, get used to the return of the one party system......
    Or maybe during the three-month rule of Brave Sir Boris, peek over the edge of the abyss and draw back in horror ...
    malcolmg said:

I'm no intellectual snob - I think kindness is far more important than intelligence - but Priti Patel really ought not to be holding one of the great offices of state.
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

I'm no intellectual snob - I think kindness is far more important than intelligence - but Priti Patel really ought not to be holding one of the great offices of state.
    The problem is they're not only dumb, but malicious, and if you try to be kind to malicious people you may not even survive to learn your lesson.

kinabalu said:

So could my old pop ...

padom.
    Ooh aloo, gobi!
    FARA way from best one yet
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_P said:
    All-female cabinet? So much for equality.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

It's OK, £36k in devalued post-Brexit Freedom Pounds will be worth roughly £23k today.
    Horribly, that's not a coincidence... :(
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Another halfwit wanting to exclude 50% of the population , how could they ever muster enough with any talent to make that work. Bad enough with it being full of thick men and woman as it is.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes, that sort of thing annoys me. It is f-all to do with equality, and such a commitment means that if there is a role where a man really would be vital (e.g. as a brokering position), it is unavailable.

On the other hand, I support the W series in racing ... ;)

(I do see a big difference between the two. We've just had a female PM, for instance.)
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

I wonder whether Priti Patel's parents would have been able to come to the UK under the rules she is proposing now. It's such an obvious question, but maybe the press are now too stupid or compliant to ask it.
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's not Priti's proposal; it's what she'd been told she 'ought to enforce'. She's been suggesting 30k, which is course still well above the starting salary of most graduates.

And I'm certain that many of those who came across from Uganda and elsewhere in East Africa didn't have jobs that fetched home that sort of money.

Interesting tie in of course, with the excellent header; get your facts right before taking someone into Court!
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    No drones nor workers in the hive. Just queens.
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Another halfwit wanting to exclude 50% of the population , how could they ever muster enough with any talent to make that work. Bad enough with it being full of thick men and woman as it is.
    She's too late anyway, the Cabinet is already full of Berkeley Hunts.
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    There's probably a reason we don't see all-queen hives. :p
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited August 2019
    "For 6 years from 2012 to 2018, no lawyer was deemed worthy to be Minister of Justice, the choice instead falling on Chris Grayling and Liz Truss"

Well, gosh!

Have you ever looked at the Ministers for Science?

Rummaging through the appointments of the Labour & Tory & Coalition even SNP Govts, I do not think there has EVER been a Minister for Science who has any training in science.

Training in Modern History or PPE or Politics or Sociology, yes.

Training in Science, no.

In Wales, we have Dim Kirsty as Minister for Science. She has a degree in American Studies. In Scotland, Richard Lochhead has a degree in politics. In England, Jo Johnson has a degree in Modern History.
    Move over, Lord Adonis, your crown has been usurped.....
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,545

Chris said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's not Priti's proposal; it's what she'd been told she 'ought to enforce'. She's been suggesting 30k, which is course still well above the starting salary of most graduates.

And I'm certain that many of those who came across from Uganda and elsewhere in East Africa didn't have jobs that fetched home that sort of money.

Interesting tie in of course, with the excellent header; get your facts right before taking someone into Court!
    Ironic that it was Ted Heath whom she has to thank.

"For 6 years from 2012 to 2018, no lawyer was deemed worthy to be Minister of Justice, the choice instead falling on Chris Grayling and Liz Truss"

Well, gosh!

Rummaging through the appointments of the Labour & Tory & Coalition even SNP Govts, I do not think there has EVER been a Minister for Science who has any training in science.

Training in Science, no.

In Wales, we have Dim Kirsty as Minister for Science. She has a degree in American Studies. In Scotland, Richard Lochhead has a degree in politics. In England, Jo Johnson has a degree in Modern History.

Have we many MP's with science degrees? I recall one Margaret Thatcher, but she gave up science to become a barrister.
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

I thought we were getting an Australian style points system. Perhaps we are and this is it.

Because I sense the detail is secondary to the title. So long as the new policy is called that, it will get the wholehearted approval of the target audience. It sounds clever - 'points' and 'system' - and it sounds anglo/white and not European and rather exclusive since the destination is a long way away - 'Australian style'.

So, perfect, as demonstrated time and again in focus groups up and down the country. 'Australian style points system' - just the phrase - is enough to get the room purring.

Chris said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

OK. It's a fair cop. Apologies to Priti Patel.
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    There's probably a reason we don't see all-queen hives. :p
    There'd be fantastically detailed provisions for fair sharing of the honey.... "What do you mean, I have to make the honey? I DON'T THINK SO!"
    Chris said:

Chris said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

OK. It's a fair cop. Apologies to Priti Patel.
    Giving the wretched woman ideas is not a good way forward!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,545
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Seems to be triggering a few snowflakes. :smile:

Sad truth is, though, that we’ve plenty of women MPs every bit as useless as the men.

• malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Says the person too thick to realise Patel never said any of that.
    edited August 2019
    dixiedean said:
    By begging EU migrants to remain. That's the ironic thing. While talking tough for the benefit of the political audience, throughout the process the government has been begging EU migrants to remain here.

Another indication of how gullible Brexiteers are.
  • dixiedean said:
    93% of social care staff are not from the EU and any that are will have the right to remain. What's the big deal?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    hahahahahahaha

I too would be very happy to lead a unity government.

White Rabbits would, of course, step up to lead the nation through a difficult time.

I would get exactly what I want, of course, while everyone else would join in a spirit of compromise
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Sad truth is, though, that we’ve plenty of women MPs every bit as useless as the men.

A cabinet led by Caroline Lucas, including Priti Patel, Esther McVey, Laura Pidcock, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Diane Abbott and Liz Truss would be enough to send all sane persons on a very fast trip to the nearest border.

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Says the person too thick to realise Patel never said any of that.
    The exact quote from The Sun is:
    'PRITI Patel will be challenged this week to honour her promise to restore "integrity" to Britain's immigration system by insisting all immigrant workers must earn at least £36,700 after Brexit.

The Home Secretary will be urged to raise the proposed £30,000 minimum salary threshold for all new foreign workers to protect lower-paid British workers.'
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

Have we many MP's with science degrees? I recall one Margaret Thatcher, but she gave up science to become a barrister.
    John Denham has a BSc. in Chemistry from Southampton.
    Although he stood down in 2015. There must be others...
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    edited August 2019
    This is a very timely article. Fixing the Courts system would cost hundreds of millions, rather than billions, of pounds, so it's certainly achievable.

I think almost nobody could afford to be a practitioner of criminal law without either a large private income, or without cross-subsidising it from more lucrative areas of work.
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

On the other hand, it does have the benefit of skipping Corbyn and McDonnell....although, is that Diane Abbot I see excitedly waving her hand at the back?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Sean_F said:

This is a very timely article. Fixing the Courts system would costs hundreds of millions, rather than billions, of pounds, so it's certainly achievable.

I think it would cost at least a billion pounds to fix the civil courts. Would the criminal courts be that much cheaper?
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

A cabinet led by Caroline Lucas, including Priti Patel, Esther McVey, Laura Pidcock, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Diane Abbott and Liz Truss would be enough to send all sane persons on a very fast trip to the nearest border.
    It's just a silly gimmick. Surely we're well beyond the stage where political gimmicks will help. I used to have quite a lot of time for her. But these days I think (nearly) all these politicians are as bad as one another.

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

I guess that is the point.

The MPs are grossly unrepresentative. Of course, this is often discussed in terms of gender or ethnicity, but there are also many other & equally important ways that the MPs are grossly unrepresentative.

Lawyers & barristers in general are over-represented in Parliament, so I am not hugely sympathetic to Cyclefree's grumble.

A Minister for Science could be in the House of Lords, rather than Commons, and so parties could appoint trained scientists by ennobling them.

In my opinion, the Secretary of State for Energy & Climate Change should also be a trained scientist.
    dixiedean said:

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

I've too much time, or diversionary activity; found a list from 2017 (pre-election) which found 27 such.
    dixiedean said:

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

Oh found this. There were quite a few apparently.https://duncan.hull.name/2015/05/08/scientist-mps/
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Indeed. May's big contribution to equality politics has been to prove that women can be just as cack-handed and incompetent as men.

I can't help but think that the problem is the system whereby the politicians - whether make or female - get chosen, rather than the gender itself. It's almost as though it's designed to come up with incompetents. Or that, as you go up the greasy pole of politics, you become more incompetent. Or in the glare of the modern media, it's near;y impossible to appear competent ...
    dixiedean said:

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

Julian Huppert was an academic physicist. He got chucked out in 2015. There must be others ...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    An excellent article
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

The triumphant return of one T May as Home Secretary would top it off.
    x

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

The MPs are grossly unrepresentative. Of course, this is often discussed in terms of gender or ethnicity, but there are also many other & equally important ways that the MPs are grossly unrepresentative.

Lawyers & barristers in general are over-represented in Parliament, so I am not hugely sympathetic to Cyclefree's grumble.

A Minister for Science could be in the House of Lords, rather than Commons, and so parties could appoint trained scientists by ennobling them.

In my opinion, the Secretary of State for Energy & Climate Change should also be a trained scientist.
    Should they? I thought the duty of the minister was to run the department, rather than conduct the analyses themselves.
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

It's just a silly gimmick. Surely we're well beyond the stage where political gimmicks will help. I used to have quite a lot of time for her. But these days I think (nearly) all these politicians are as bad as one another.
    I think she is a vey dishonest politician.

The Greens ran Brighton Council from 2011 to 2015.

She did not mention this in her 2015 election literature and distanced herself from the feck-up the Greens made in running the Council.

Nothing to do with me, she said.

dixiedean said:

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

I've too much time, or diversionary activity; found a list from 2017 (pre-election) which found 27 such.
    27 MPs with a bachelor's degree in science? Considering nearly half the population goes to university these days that's not really a large number.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

Oh found this. There were quite a few apparently.https://duncan.hull.name/2015/05/08/scientist-mps/
    It is astounding that Steve Baker has a degree in rocket science.
    RobD said:

x

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

Should they? I thought the duty of the minister was to run the department, rather than conduct the analyses themselves.
    They have to understand the analysis, for which scientific training is needed.

Well, gosh!

Training in Science, no.

I have some issues with this. 'Science' is not really one thing, but a series of increasingly specialist occupations. As a non-scientist, on many occasions I've heard learned scientists spout b/s about a specialism outside their area - a certain famous biologist about physics, for instance.

But when they get it wrong, it matters more as their role of 'scientist' gives their inaccuracies credence.

I'd argue that what matters more is the ability to detect b/s and to understand priorities - especially in the long term.

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I think she is a vey dishonest politician.
    That's pretty much a tautology.
This discussion has been closed.