Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets think a no deal Brexit is getting likelier

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets think a no deal Brexit is getting likelier and likelier

Chart of Betfair prices from Betdata.io

Read the full story here

Comments

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    First? Like the clue I don't have about Boris' preferred intention. Other than continuing to be PM.
  • adamandcatadamandcat Posts: 76
    edited August 2019
    I agree, I think it will happen and it is his only albeit high risk strategy
  • Crossover coming.

Boris has the bottle, the question is does Parliament and do the Europeans. I think crossover should have been ages ago, like on the referendum night the signs are there but the market doesn't believe it yet.
  • I find it hard to see a pathway to avoiding ND now.

If A.J.P Taylor was still with us i'm sure he could find material in the Brexit timeline.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    @CaptainBuzzkill

I suggested a topic of conversation on the previous thread but I got caught by The Curse Of The New Thread.
  • FPT and for once its not Brexit.
    ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

tlg86 said:

How nasty of the MSM to use Farage's own words against him.

“Terrifying! Here was Harry, here he was this young, brave, boisterous, all male, getting into trouble, turning up at stag parties inappropriately dressed, drinking too much and causing all sorts of mayhem. And then, a brave British officer who did his bit in Afghanistan. He was the most popular royal of a younger generation that we’ve seen for 100 years......

.....Farage’s reference to “dressing up inappropriately” is an allusion to photographs of Harry at a 2005 party dressed in a Nazi uniform.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/nigel-farage-prince-harry-meghan-markle-overweight-queen-mother-cpac-brexit
    Far worse, of course, was Harry daring to support the country of his birth...
    Indeed. It was positively medieval of a European Prince to go on a crusade to the Middle East and kill Muslims.
    I thought crusaders slaughtered Jews. 🤔
    Why?

Though in one crusade they killed Christians.
    Only one? I think you'll find there were several. For example, the very first crusade ever declared was against a Western European country, which was Christian but not under the direct control of Rome. Anyone care to guess which one?
    I thought the First Crusade was against the Seljurk Turks? To reconquer Anatolia and then conquered the Holy Lands. It was also the only example of a successful crusade I can think of.

It was the Fourth Crusade I was thinking of which was against Christians - and a massive aid to the Muslims in conquering the Byzantines.

Crossover coming.

Boris has the bottle, the question is does Parliament and do the Europeans. I think crossover should have been ages ago, like on the referendum night the signs are there but the market doesn't believe it yet.

Indeed. What's the liquidity like on Betfair? I'm entrain and on the tablet so can't look for myself.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    QTWTAIY
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728

FPT and for once its not Brexit.

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

tlg86 said:

“Terrifying! Here was Harry, here he was this young, brave, boisterous, all male, getting into trouble, turning up at stag parties inappropriately dressed, drinking too much and causing all sorts of mayhem. And then, a brave British officer who did his bit in Afghanistan. He was the most popular royal of a younger generation that we’ve seen for 100 years......

.....Farage’s reference to “dressing up inappropriately” is an allusion to photographs of Harry at a 2005 party dressed in a Nazi uniform.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/nigel-farage-prince-harry-meghan-markle-overweight-queen-mother-cpac-brexit
    Indeed. It was positively medieval of a European Prince to go on a crusade to the Middle East and kill Muslims.
    Why?

Only one? I think you'll find there were several. For example, the very first crusade ever declared was against a Western European country, which was Christian but not under the direct control of Rome. Anyone care to guess which one?
    I thought the First Crusade was against the Seljurk Turks? To reconquer Anatolia and then conquered the Holy Lands. It was also the only example of a successful crusade I can think of.

It was the Fourth Crusade I was thinking of which was against Christians - and a massive aid to the Muslims in conquering the Byzantines.
    It isn't usually called a crusade. It's normally called something else.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited August 2019
    FPT
    ydoethur said:

' In 2001 the gaps ranged everywhere from 5 points to about 25 points. The simple fact is the Tories were expected to show a modest recovery from 1997 and didn't, which was partly blamed on a campaign that banged on about Europe and switched a number of potential voters to the Liberal Democrats or abstention.'

I have the 2001 polls in front of me now. The smallest Labour lead recorded was 10% from Yougov on eve of poll. A month earlier at the outset of the campaign Labour's poll lead ranged from 15% to 24%. The final outcome of a 9.5% Labour lead ,therefore, did represent some recovery by the Tory Opposition which at least avoided a further weakening from its 1997 result. There was no 5% Labour lead during that election - unlike in 1997 when a rogue ICM poll for Guardian a week before polling day caused heart flutters in the Labour campaign team
    Anyhoo, about to swap trains. Laters, alligators.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Crossover coming.

Boris has lashed himself to the mast but could secretly be counting on Parliament seizing the wheel. It might actually be better for remainers in the medium term not to do so.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

tlg86 said:

Why?

Is this some sort of riddle? Its a crusade but not called a crusade, that wasn't targetting the crusaders targets?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    dodrade said:

Crossover coming.

Boris has lashed himself to the mast but could secretly be counting on Parliament seizing the wheel. It might actually be better for remainers in the medium term not to do so.
    So we’re all Corbynites now?
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    If you read the IFG paper out today, it looks like this is value at evens.

Has anyone else remarked that a no-deal Brexit and a Trump re-election could take place within four or five days of each other? Tempted to take a few days off with my own weight in popcorn.
  • Drutt said:

Has anyone else remarked that a no-deal Brexit and a Trump re-election could take place within four or five days of each other? Tempted to take a few days off with my own weight in popcorn.

How? You expecting a 12 month delay and then a no-deal Brexit?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

tlg86 said:

Why?

Does it concern Ireland, by any chance?
    justin124 said:

FPT
    ydoethur said:

' In 2001 the gaps ranged everywhere from 5 points to about 25 points. The simple fact is the Tories were expected to show a modest recovery from 1997 and didn't, which was partly blamed on a campaign that banged on about Europe and switched a number of potential voters to the Liberal Democrats or abstention.'

I have the 2001 polls in front of me now. The smallest Labour lead recorded was 10% from Yougov on eve of poll. A month earlier at the outset of the campaign Labour's poll lead ranged from 15% to 24%. The final outcome of a 9.5% Labour lead ,therefore, did represent some recovery by the Tory Opposition which at least avoided a further weakening from its 1997 result. There was no 5% Labour lead during that election - unlike in 1997 when a rogue ICM poll for Guardian a week before polling day caused heart flutters in the Labour campaign team

I had them in front of me too, but I only looked quickly and in fact on a more careful check I find the smallest gap was 9 points, in March.

Of course, if we're going by polls alone it depends on your start date. The previous September the Tories led the polls briefly following the fuel blockades.

But that doesn't alter the basic fact that by no reasonable metric could a campaign that saw an opposition make a net gain of one seat be considered a 'beneficial' campaign for the opposition.
  • viewcode said:

@CaptainBuzzkill

I suggested a topic of conversation on the previous thread but I got caught by The Curse Of The New Thread.

I've seen it happen too many times over the years on here...it must be infuriating.

Coral's claim to have had the Conservatives as favourites for the 1992 GE...

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/can-the-bookies-really-predict-the-outcome-of-the-general-election-11363974673622

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

tlg86 said:

Why?

Later on, and passim ad nauseam, the target of it went on to concern Ireland.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720
    Argh, the wait always kills me. Can't they keep it a secret until it's actually out!
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Drutt said:

How? You expecting a 12 month delay and then a no-deal Brexit?
    Yes, embarrassing mistake. I literally don't know what year it is. Sorry if that made anyone think they'd been in a 12-month coma.
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Zephyr said:

tlg86 said:

Why?

Oh. Maybe the Pelagian heresy, then?
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    ydoethur said:

I had them in front of me too, but I only looked quickly and in fact on a more careful check I find the smallest gap was 9 points, in March.

Of course, if we're going by polls alone it depends on your start date. The previous September the Tories led the polls briefly following the fuel blockades.

But that doesn't alter the basic fact that by no reasonable metric could a campaign that saw an opposition make a net gain of one seat be considered a 'beneficial' campaign for the opposition.
    I have been specifically referring to the campaign period - and seeking to compare the result on Polling Day with the likely result had people voted at the outset of the campaign. On that basis, the Tories did recover in the course of the 2001 campaign - as did Labour in 1959 - despite the heavy defeat!
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

I'm going to have to give you this, I think.

It was in fact the Norman Conquest of England. William asked the Pope to give his invasion papal sanction which the Pope - rather pissed off at the Saxons ignoring him and appointing their own bishops and archbishops - did. As a result, the Normans were entitled to march under Papal banners and it became the first Papally-sanctioned war, or 'crusade.'

It was part of a wider eleventh century move to centralise the structure of the Catholic Church, of which what we might call the 'classic' crusades against the Saracens played an important part.

viewcode said:

@CaptainBuzzkill

I've seen it happen too many times over the years on here...it must be infuriating.

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/can-the-bookies-really-predict-the-outcome-of-the-general-election-11363974673622

I got the 1992 election Tory seats to within 2.....
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

It was in fact the Norman Conquest of England. William asked the Pope to give his invasion papal sanction which the Pope - rather pissed off at the Saxons ignoring him and appointing their own bishops and archbishops - did. As a result, the Normans were entitled to march under Papal banners and it became the first Papally-sanctioned war, or 'crusade.'

It was part of a wider eleventh century move to centralise the structure of the Catholic Church, of which what we might call the 'classic' crusades against the Saracens played an important part.
    I think you made it obvious enough the target was England, so no need to give me it!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    CatMan said:

Argh, the wait always kills me. Can't they keep it a secret until it's actually out!
    Johnson in landslide territory?
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Has the Boris bounce arrived? Tories up to 45% at the expense of the Brexit Party?
    edited August 2019
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    ydoethur said:

I have been specifically referring to the campaign period - and seeking to compare the result on Polling Day with the likely result had people voted at the outset of the campaign. On that basis, the Tories did recover in the course of the 2001 campaign - as did Labour in 1959 - despite the heavy defeat!
    I can't agree, even on those paramaeters. Look at the polls and the prediction for the Tory share is pretty good - they put it around 30% and it was.

What changed very dramatically was the Labour share. This was mostly put in the high forties and it didn't get anywhere near that in the end.

So don't confuse 'a campaign not favouring the government' with 'a campaign that favours the opposition.'

Bluntly, the simple truth is that to win power, even in a coalition, Labour needs to be a long way ahead of the Tories right now. And it isn't. A campaign is not likely to make a meaningful difference to that. I realise that's not what you want to hear, as the issues with the Labour vote over Brecon and Radnor were not, but facts are not less facts for being inconvenient as you and I both know.
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

I think you made it obvious enough the target was England, so no need to give me it!
    Well, it's nice to be told I've got my hints right!

Good night.

viewcode said:

@CaptainBuzzkill

Thank you. I am now on the next train (think a looooong relay) so will view it later tonight. Capturing odds as they were on the day is difficult: we have modern reports of what was said then, and bookmakers' claims of what was said then, but reports of the time often yield a different picture. If you ever have a few moments look at the Times reportage of the days before the 1970 election day: totally different to the view we have now.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited August 2019
    Iain Dale: Poll embargoed until 10pm.

Says it has very interesting results re Brexit.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    The obvious arb for PBers is to bet against an election.

Either we get one of the most dramatic election calls ever, or you win the bet at 2.5x your stake.

Easy!
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    ydoethur said:

'

I can't agree, even on those paramaeters. Look at the polls and the prediction for the Tory share is pretty good - they put it around 30% and it was.

What changed very dramatically was the Labour share. This was mostly put in the high forties and it didn't get anywhere near that in the end.

So don't confuse 'a campaign not favouring the government' with 'a campaign that favours the opposition.'

Bluntly, the simple truth is that to win power, even in a coalition, Labour needs to be a long way ahead of the Tories right now. And it isn't. A campaign is not likely to make a meaningful difference to that. I realise that's not what you want to hear, as the issues with the Labour vote over Brecon and Radnor were not, but facts are not less facts for being inconvenient as you and I both know.
    In terms of psephological swing calculation , a fall in the Government's vote share with the Opposition share unchanged amounts to a swing to the Opposition. If the Labour vote falls 6% with the Tory vote unchanged , the result is a 3% swing to the Tories!
    edit - The Tory GB share was 32%.
  • IanB2 said:

dodrade said:

Crossover coming.

So we’re all Corbynites now?
    Good Lord No
  • Its so obvious. The best way to win back sovereignty for the British Parliament is to shut it down. That's what they meant by "bring back control".
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Scott_P said:
    I suspect that the idiots who support that ploy won't be so keen if it's used again by people they don't like to do things they don't want done.
  • Its so obvious. The best way to win back sovereignty for the British Parliament is to shut it down. That's what they meant by "bring back control".

Yes.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    A majority can be defined as the largest group of people wrong about any given issue at any given time.
    Alex Wickham is BuzzFeed. But the poll was ComRes/Telegraph. Who leaked it to him?

Yes.
    Only by having no parliament does our parliament finally take control. Only by issuing no laws does our parliament make laws.

Who are these wazzocks?

Its so obvious. The best way to win back sovereignty for the British Parliament is to shut it down. That's what they meant by "bring back control".

Yes.
    Only by having no parliament does our parliament finally take control. Only by issuing no laws does our parliament make laws.

Who are these wazzocks?
    The Government.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2019
    glw said:

Scott_P said:
    I suspect that the idiots who support that ploy won't be so keen if it's used again by people they don't like to do things they don't want done.
    How is it going to be?

When in the future are we going to face a scenario like this? The situation is absurd.

We have in Parliament MPs like Hilary Benn ranting on Brexit how awful a No Deal Brexit is but when we look at his voting record:

He voted to have the EU referendum
    He voted to give the PM authority to invoke Article 50
    He voted to reject the deal
    He voted to reject the deal again
    He voted to reject the deal again

If there is no deal it won't be just because Parliament was shut down, it will be due to the votes of people like Benn. His crocodile tears that NDB is awful, when he voted to have the referendum, vote to invoke A50 and 3 times voted to reject a deal are a bit much.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050

Its so obvious. The best way to win back sovereignty for the British Parliament is to shut it down. That's what they meant by "bring back control".

Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!
  • Anyone who voted to give the PM authority to invoke Article 50 and simultaneously voted to reject the deal is directly responsible for there being no deal.

I'd be curious to know by party how many MPs there are who voted to reject the deal all 3 times and voted to give the PM authority to invoke Article 50.
  • viewcode said:

Alex Wickham is BuzzFeed. But the poll was ComRes/Telegraph. Who leaked it to him?

It was sent by the pollster under strict embargo conditions to various media organisations.

Yes.

Who are these wazzocks?
    I am afraid all this speaks volumes about the appalling lack of any civic education as to how our system works and blows out of the water once and for all the misty eyed myth that UK is a special place that could never entertain dictators.

If there is no deal it won't be just because Parliament was shut down, it will be due to the votes of people like Benn. His crocodile tears that NDB is awful, when he voted to have the referendum, vote to invoke A50 and 3 times voted to reject a deal are a bit much.

I totally agree that Parliament has made a mess of things, but it doesn't follow that supsending Parliament is the answer. Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Take Back Control.

And give it to Johnson.

Anyone who voted to give the PM authority to invoke Article 50 and simultaneously voted to reject the deal is directly responsible for there being no deal.

I'd be curious to know by party how many MPs there are who voted to reject the deal all 3 times and voted to give the PM authority to invoke Article 50.

Some will be Conservatives too of course. Had May been able to rely on the support of her own party, she'd have got the WA through.
    How is the Brexit Party still going up whilst the Tories do too? Labour voters going to both?

Yes.

Who are these wazzocks?
    No, only by leaving the EU does our Parliament finally take control.

Our Parliament voted to leave the EU, proroguing Parliament to stop Parliament from changing its mind ensures that when Parliament returns it is in full control.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    VI nowhere near majority territory. Boris needs to add another 5-7% at the expense of Nige. Let's see how well the law and order stuff cuts through over next week or so.

I am afraid all this speaks volumes about the appalling lack of any civic education as to how our system works and blows out of the water once and for all the misty eyed myth that UK is a special place that could never entertain dictators.

Anyone who ever thought that was an idiot. It's only circumstances that made the UK any different, send us down the same sort of paths and we would have made similarly bad decisions.
  • How is the Brexit Party still going up whilst the Tories do too? Labour voters going to both?
    This is the second poll in a few days that has had both Tories and BXP up. Last one was Lib Dems down while Tories and BXP were up.

It may be too early to say but maybe there are enough in this country who are relieved this could soon be over and done with. Dragging this out past Hallowe'en may not be a popular notion.
  • viewcode said:

It was sent by the pollster under strict embargo conditions to various media organisations.
    - "With the past vote filter down, I can't even see! How am I supposed to fight?"
    - "Your opinion polls can deceive you - don't trust them!"
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    What are the "54%" going to think when even after we leave Brexit is not "done" for the next 10 years?
  • nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Yes.

Who are these wazzocks?
    Or evidence of the general, accelerating, decline of civilisation.

How is the Brexit Party still going up whilst the Tories do too? Labour voters going to both?
    Margin of error for the Brexit Party change.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

The dip in Labour support is the only figure that *might* be beyond normal margin of error. The other changes are all random noise.
  • MaxPB said:

VI nowhere near majority territory. Boris needs to add another 5-7% at the expense of Nige. Let's see how well the law and order stuff cuts through over next week or so.

ComRes are quite volatile, they've gone from saying Boris Johnson would win a 150 seat majority to a Labour lead within a few weeks.
    Scott_P said:

What are the "54%" going to think when even after we leave Brexit is not "done" for the next 10 years?

I'm fairly certain most of them wouldn't even have understood the point of your question, and that applies just as much for any Remainer who thinks a referendum or revoke would end the issue.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    Scott_P said:
    Fewer than half of people want to leave now according to most polls. There are presumably people who want to leave but not if it means bypassing parliament. Maybe not many, but there will be some Leavers who believe in constitutional democracy.

So does that mean there are significant numbers of people who believe we shouldn't leave, but think parliament should be bypassed anyway? Really?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

MaxPB said:

ComRes are quite volatile, they've gone from saying Boris Johnson would win a 150 seat majority to a Labour lead within a few weeks.
    Tbh, I haven't paid a lot of attention to politics for a while, bit those sort of polls aren't surprising. No one really knows what they want.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Anyone who voted to give the PM authority to invoke Article 50 and simultaneously voted to reject the deal is directly responsible for there being no deal.

Not this nonsense again.

MaxPB said:

They had gone. Past tense. No Labour lead now.
    Not a single day goes by when the destruction wrought by Cameron's referendum doesn't get worse.
  • stodge said:

Some will be Conservatives too of course. Had May been able to rely on the support of her own party, she'd have got the WA through.
    Indeed, but many in her own party didn't want the WA through and were happy with the existing law that Parliament had passed (that we leave without one if nothing is agreed).

MPs who oppose no deal but voted to invoke Article 50 and reject the deal have absolutely no excuse though. It is like an amateur removing a safety net beneath a high wire, putting on a blind fold then stepping out without any safety harness.
  • Seems that the mps need to take care in trying to stop brexit as Boris will clearly make a GE the people v the remainer HOC and unelected HOL

An early vonc could play straight into Boris's hand

Indeed these poll findings, if they solidify in other polls, could see many mps not wanting to be seen supporting no brexit
    But as a Remainer I would agree with that so its meaningless in a Brexit context.
    Scott_P said:
    The Borisgraph is certainly laying it on thick.
    edited August 2019

Seems that the mps need to take care in trying to stop brexit as Boris will clearly make a GE the people v the remainer HOC and unelected HOL

Indeed these poll findings, if they solidify in other polls, could see many mps not wanting to be seen supporting no brexit

They had their chance with May's deal.

Three times.

Looks for many MPs like it is going to be three strikes - and you're out......

Seems that the mps need to take care in trying to stop brexit as Boris will clearly make a GE the people v the remainer HOC and unelected HOL

Three times.

Yes. Rees Mogg could very well lose his seat.
    Scott_P said:

They'll be too busy looking for a job to be worried about that.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,839
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    Fewer than half of people want to leave now according to most polls. There are presumably people who want to leave but not if it means bypassing parliament. Maybe not many, but there will be some Leavers who believe in constitutional democracy.

So does that mean there are significant numbers of people who believe we shouldn't leave, but think parliament should be bypassed anyway? Really?
    There'll be remainers who just want the whole shit show over with. Also there are multiple negatives in the phrasing of that question so some people answering will mean the opposite of their given answer. If it is question 7 or so people are just skipping through trying to get the points for their survey...

Not a single day goes by when the destruction wrought by Cameron's referendum doesn't get worse.

Not a single day goes by when the Remainer panic that we are really leaving doesn't get worse.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720

Yep. And the thing is, if Remain had won, I don't think things would be much better.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Not a single day goes by when the Remainer panic that we are really leaving doesn't get worse.
    Every day that goes by makes actually leaving less likely. Leavers should have backed May's deal when they had the chance.

Indeed, but many in her own party didn't want the WA through and were happy with the existing law that Parliament had passed (that we leave without one if nothing is agreed).

MPs who oppose no deal but voted to invoke Article 50 and reject the deal have absolutely no excuse though. It is like an amateur removing a safety net beneath a high wire, putting on a blind fold then stepping out without any safety harness.

As you said, indeed. I wonder how many back in March 2017 would have argued for a No Deal - it doesn't seem publicly that many did.

Arguing for a Deal when you have no intention for voting for one seems duplicitous too, perhaps?
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545

Three times.

Yes. Rees Mogg could very well lose his seat.
    IDS is pretty likely to go as well. Even a certain B Johnson is not invulnerable in Uxbridge, where his antics over the third runway will be added to Brexit on the charge sheet.
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2019
    Must be that all the wealthy intelligent voters who support Remain are basking in the sunshine in some European hotspot or other and could not be contacted by the pollsters. Oh the irony!

Horribly true... :(
This discussion has been closed.