Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A closer look at one of tonight’s local council by elections

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A closer look at one of tonight’s local council by elections

Away from the hubbub in Westminster, there is the upcoming Wainbody ward by-election which is the southernmost ward in Coventry where I grew up and has historically been a very safe ward for the Conservatives. It is relatively affluent and firmly middle class, my estimate for the leave vote there would probably be 55-60 even though we have no definitive figures. Due to the passing of Gary Crookes, a well-liked councillor who has served for many years a by-election is scheduled for the 5th September.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,569
    edited September 2019
    Tim Walker on Twitter suggesting PM was drunk, which from the cut of him is a pretty plausible theory.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Not much going on. Any chance of an AV Thread?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Tim Walker on Twitter suggesting PM was drunk, which from the cut of him is a pretty plausible theory.

Who?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited September 2019
    DougSeal said:

Not much going on. Any chance of an AV Thread?

There’s been one ready for publication since last Thursday but events dear boy.
  • RobD said:

Who?
    RobD said:

Who?
    Journo.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I heard he was high on crack , had a dead goat in his car boot and was on his way to meet KGB agents.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited September 2019
    WHY AREN’T THOSE POLICE CADETS OUT ON THE STREET FIGHTING CRIME?!

RobD said:

Who?
    RobD said:

Who?
    Journo.
    Ah, for the New European. I think i'll file that under the potentially libelous category. ;)
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

RobD said:

Who?
    RobD said:

Who?
    Journo.
    who for The West Yorkshire Pigeon Fancier ?
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Who?
    RobD said:

Who?
    Journo.
    Ah, for the New European. I think i'll file that under the potentially libelous category. ;)
    Speaking of which, the Beeb have got Dr. David Nicholl on, offering JRM a dust up.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Who?
    RobD said:

Who?
    Journo.
    He’s a former Telegraph journo and knew Boris Johnson quite well.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited September 2019
    isam said:

WHY AREN’T THOSE POLICE CADETS OUT ON THE STREET FIGHTING CRIME?!

I'm sure I saw Mahoney in the back row
  • Danny Shaw
    @DannyShawBBC

UPDATE: West Yorkshire Police & Crime Commissioner Mark Burns-Williamson (Labour) tells me Boris Johnson has "abused" the police force's position & says the officers should not have been used in this way, for a "political speech about Brexit".
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050

Can anyone remind me why BoZo is regarded as a campaigning virtuoso?

Danny Shaw
    @DannyShawBBC

UPDATE: West Yorkshire Police & Crime Commissioner Mark Burns-Williamson (Labour) tells me Boris Johnson has "abused" the police force's position & says the officers should not have been used in this way, for a "political speech about Brexit".

right and that's a surprise to you ?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

Anyone surprised by this?

"Facebook data breach: details of 18m Britons leaked online"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/facebook-data-for-18m-britons-leaked-online-j6tv86l0m
  • Very, very odd day.

Almost feels like politics on LSD.
  • HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

I thought May was the one terrible with the media?

Who cares what the fake news journos say, Boris is saying what the people want to hear
    Fake news?
    Ridiculous. Plenty of speeches get made in the presence of nurses etc, or in front of the army in Afghanistan or etc etc
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708

Danny Shaw
    @DannyShawBBC

Who cares less what a biased Labour PCC says
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112
    Scott_P said:
    Did you see who replied to that tweet?
    AndyJS said:

O/T

Anyone surprised by this?

"Facebook data breach: details of 18m Britons leaked online"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/facebook-data-for-18m-britons-leaked-online-j6tv86l0m

Not really. shame it wasnt Twitter.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    With the LDs often surprising on the upside in local by-elections no harm in predicting a LD win in this one.

In national matter, even with all the ridiculousness of this year it feels like the government is having an unprecedented nervous breakdown. If Boris can spring both an election and an election win from all this, it is an incredible amount of misdirection to appear so weak right now.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    Sorry -I meant Mr Guenigault's original tweet.
    From Guido

Tim Walker – The waspish former diary columnist delights in dishing out snark, but thin-skinned Tim can’t take it when his conspiratorial babble is called out. The former Telegraph man turned freelancer and New European contributor reckons “Putin will continue to govern this country through stupid, weak, vain, greedy politicians so long as we, the people, are prepared to sit back and let him”
    The press scent blood. They are going to go too far like with Browns handwriting. They always do.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeed. Our very own HYUFD says "He is the UK PM and as they are state employees ultimately their boss..."

...and therefore fair game as party political props.
    Foxy said:

Can anyone remind me why BoZo is regarded as a campaigning virtuoso?
    He did well to win London 7 years ago. He is often genuinely funny. That's it.
  • Ridiculous. Plenty of speeches get made in the presence of nurses etc, or in front of the army in Afghanistan or etc etc
    And if the PM had limited himself to talking about Policing it might have been fine - but launching into a party political rant on Brexitis not.
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:
    It was an imposter. There was no reference to diehard remainers. Which is a shame because at all the diehard remainer parties I go to we are very flattered by his attention.
    edited September 2019
    The outrage over this is pretty obviously a partisan level one. A Conservative would defend it, and a Labour person condemn it, and if Corbyn were to give a speech in front of police officers Labour would defend it and a Conservative person condemn it.
    HYUFD said:

Danny Shaw
    @DannyShawBBC

Who cares less what a biased Labour PCC says
    You insist we listen to what you, as a biased Tory member, think and, by virtue of a being a PCC, he has at least won an election.
  • Scott_P said:
    Another Etonian down. That's two in one day.
    kle4 said:

The outrage over this is pretty obviously a partisan level one. A Conservative would defend it, and a Labour person condemn it, and if Corbyn were to give a speech in front of police officers Labour would defend it and a Conservative person condemn it.
    Meh, I'm a Tory and I condemn it. Photoshoots with a couple of officers, fine... but having them all lined up behind you while you drone on about something unrelated to policing? There's something decidedly un-British about that.
  • This drip-drip of resignations could be really bad for Johnson.

This drip-drip of resignations could be really bad for Johnson.

Only if they criticize him otherwise they are just retirements from politics
  • Thanks for this, Mr. Blundell. You aren't related to the F1 chap, are you?

For those wondering, I am not the person in Morley who heckled the PM.
  • If the options are Johnson (metaphorically) dying in a ditch or saving him by having an election on a date of his choice, which should Labour choose? Hmmmm.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    The problem with twitter, and PB really, is that too many people are trying to be the first to mention a significant story, so everything is sensationalised all day every day
  • RobD said:

kle4 said:

Meh, I'm a Tory and I condemn it. Photoshoots with a couple of officers, fine... but having them all lined up behind you while you drone on about something unrelated to policing? There's something decidedly un-British about that.
    It’s not Prime Ministerial.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited September 2019
    FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes
    You have already gone from the Tory Party, your choice but the party itself is now fully behind Brexit Deal or No Deal and with Boris in the war with the diehard Remainers and Corbyn

........................................................................................

I am saddened HYUFD that you have transformed from a sensible conservative with an obsession with polls to a deluded disciple of a cult that is trashing everything you once stood for

I am a one nation conservative, not a Farage tribute act, and support the 100 conservatives/or sacked conservatives who I hope rebel in a block and create their own movement, and by the way, see the end to this disastrous brexit earthquake and engineer either a soft brexit or even remain

I am bitterly upset at what is happening but inthe end decency will prevail as we start to slowly heal the wounds both in the UK and the EU and restore international friendships and our reputation.

I no longer want to be associated with those who would create division and hatred against so many here and abroad

And I even accept that could be under Corbyn, but if it is, Boris, the ERG and yourself are all responsible for the economic armagedon that would follow him in office
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2019

That's hard to take seriously, I'm afraid. He's had so many standing-downs or explusions bunched with criticism now that it will just all look part of the same process.

What really interests me is how he can possibly stick to this pledge not to seek an extension.

If the options are Johnson (metaphorically) dying in a ditch or saving him by having an election on a date of his choice, which should Labour choose? Hmmmm.

I can see a situation where Corbyn takes Boris record as shortest serving PM
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037

If the options are Johnson (metaphorically) dying in a ditch or saving him by having an election on a date of his choice, which should Labour choose? Hmmmm.

Let the piece of shit die in a ditch. Good riddance to turdish rubbish...
  • Interesting: a Brexit Party candidate standing in the council by-election. Wonder if they'll do as well as they did in Gloucester.

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes
    You have already gone from the Tory Party, your choice but the party itself is now fully behind Brexit Deal or No Deal and with Boris in the war with the diehard Remainers and Corbyn

........................................................................................

I am saddened HYUFD that you have transformed from a sensible conservative with an obsession with polls to a deluded disciple of a cult that is trashing everything you once stood for

I am a one nation conservative, not a Farage tribute act, and support the 100 conservatives/or sacked conservatives who I hope rebel in a block and create their own movement, and by the way, see the end to this disastrous brexit earthquake and engineer either a soft brexit or even remain

I am bitterly upset at what is happening but inthe end decency will prevail as we start to slowly heal the wounds both in the UK and the EU and restore international friendships and our reputation.

I no longer want to be associated with those who would create division and hatred against so many here and abroad

And I even accept that could be under Corbyn, but if it is, Boris, the ERG and yourself are all responsible for the economic armagedon that would follow him in office

If you refuse to respect the Brexit vote and Leave Deal or No Deal then sadly BigG you are now a LD, not a conservative

That's hard to take seriously, I'm afraid. He's had so many standing-downs or explusions bunched with criticism now that it will just all look part of the same process.

What really interests me is how he can possibly stick to this pledge not to seek an extension.
    Resign and leave Corbyn to do it
    murali_s said:

Charming, as ever.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Let's not forget Boris at PMQ yesterday saying "Let's take the £1bn a month we send to Brussels and spend it on the police." That is a Cummings wheeze: the GE campaign is to be the referendum campaign redux, but we can't say NHS again because that would be too obvious. And having Bozo give a speech in front of A FUCKLOAD OF COPPERS THE VERY NEXT DAY is part of the same wheeze because Cummings ain't clever, he is just aggressive and focused in his stupidity.

Nope, it is good news for Boris, purging the party of the diehard Remainers and those unwilling to take on the diehard Remainers and Corbyn and fight for Brexit Deal or No Deal.

Boris must have all his MPs united behind him as battle is now joined
    HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

If you refuse to respect the Brexit vote and Leave Deal or No Deal then sadly BigG you are now a LD, not a conservative
    So there will be no more resignations?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Ignoring the sinister police state overtones, why was Boris doing the BJ scene from Police Academy?
    isam said:

The problem with twitter, and PB really, is that too many people are trying to be the first to mention a significant story, so everything is sensationalised all day every day

Yes agreed. The vast majority, probably 95% of voters get some of this, once on the news, and it passes on, over time it might drip into consciousness and VI. How many people will register that Nick Hurd is stepping down?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

Very, very odd day.

Almost feels like politics on LSD.

At least that might have the sound of pretty colours......
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    RobD said:

murali_s said:

Charming, as ever.
    Don't you think the lying scumbag deserves it?

Being a halfwit as ever Robbie....
    HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

You know that makes no sense. A LD, under current policy, would not have accepted leaving under any circumstances, the fact Stephen Lloyd resigned the whip for that reason demonstrates that.

And you can certainly comment on who is a Conservative, but not who is a conservative. Conservatism is not a registered trademark of the Conservative and Unionist Party, as indeed conservative parties in the world with Liberal in their name could tell you.
  • HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

You are not the conservative. I am with Ken Clarke, Rory Stewart and it looks possibly Amber Rudd all of whom voted for the WDA you once were in favour of
    I think BJ is a bit shell shocked by events
    murali_s said:

RobD said:

murali_s said:

Charming, as ever.
    Don't you think the lying scumbag deserves it?

Being a halfwit as ever Robbie....
    That's not the point. I just think calling one's political opponent a "piece of shit" is not healthy in a democracy.
  • I think BJ is a bit shell shocked by events

Looped by his own OODA.
  • murali_s said:

I dislike Boris and have resigned over his actions.

But this kind of language is unnecessary
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Outliers in all things. Cannot say I like it either, but the level of outrage seems attached to people's dislike of Boris, it is all out of proportion.
  • HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

HYUFD you are an obsessive and everything that is unattractive and wrong with modern politics.

We as a Tory party need voters like Big_G and others. Hopefully by end of October Brexit can be behind us and there would be 4.5 years more where we would agree on more than just Brexit.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

Nope, it is good news for Boris, purging the party of the diehard Remainers and those unwilling to take on the diehard Remainers and Corbyn and fight for Brexit Deal or No Deal.

"...he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart."
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    isam said:

Always moaning you are.

Hope the 'Australian points system' cheers you up a bit when it comes in.
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

You are not the conservative. I am with Ken Clarke, Rory Stewart and it looks possibly Amber Rudd all of whom voted for the WDA you once were in favour of
    If Rory , May , Rudd and Hammond were leading the Con party they would poll sub 20%
  • FFS why declare on 497/8 ?

I mean its a good target but get 1 more boundary and declare FFS.

/ocd obsessive.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

Ridiculous. Plenty of speeches get made in the presence of nurses etc, or in front of the army in Afghanistan or etc etc
    Hey, it could have been worse.

He could have been standing under a giant banner reading "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"......

HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

HYUFD you are an obsessive and everything that is unattractive and wrong with modern politics.

We as a Tory party need voters like Big_G and others. Hopefully by end of October Brexit can be behind us and there would be 4.5 years more where we would agree on more than just Brexit.
    You're probably just saying that because you're a diehard rema....oh wait. Crap.
  • TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

If Rory , May , Rudd and Hammond were leading the Con party they would poll sub 20%
    Not now after the disaster that is Boris
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Outliers in all things. Cannot say I like it either, but the level of outrage seems attached to people's dislike of Boris, it is all out of proportion.
    There is a weird kind of piling on going on this week, it's very bizarre. I think it will go too far at some point and a sympathy response kick in. It's a feeding frenzy right now which is unseemly in a time of crisis
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Interesting that 5Live said that their text response to the BoZo speech was pretty negative.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD has his armour and battle head-dress ready. Aux armes gilets jaunes !
    HYUFD said:
    Brigg and Goole? What a great constituency name!

He's probably right. An election is probably needed to sort this out. How do we get there?

HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

They can remain members if they wish but no Cummings is right we cannot have Tory MPs standing again as Tory candidates while refusing to back Brexit Deal or No Deal as the vast majority of Tory members and voters now want in every poll.

If Boris won a narrow majority of say 10 and those 21 Tory rebels were elected again as Tory MPs he could not get Brexit Deal or No Deal through despite a winning majority based on a manifesto to do so.

You may not like it, it may be brutal but that is where we are now, diehard Remainers will stop at nothing to block Brexit and the Tory Party must be prepared to respond in kind to deliver Brexit
  • Is he doing a tour of PB regulars' home towns?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kle4 said:

With the LDs often surprising on the upside in local by-elections no harm in predicting a LD win in this one.

In national matter, even with all the ridiculousness of this year it feels like the government is having an unprecedented nervous breakdown. If Boris can spring both an election and an election win from all this, it is an incredible amount of misdirection to appear so weak right now.

Actually thank you for local insight into real election the like of which happen every week it’s brave to stick your head over the parapet and give a view well done

HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

They also voted to extend over Brexit on October 31st
    Still wondering how the Tories are united behind a Brexit deal when there has not been a deal yet and we know some of them are unlikely to ever back one.

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

Not now after the disaster that is Boris
    Did you miss the Euro elections ?
    HYUFD said:
    This is not freedom of movement. It means we may be able to visit for "short stays" (how short?) without a visa. We will be able to go to France for days rather than weeks. When I was younger I worked in France for a ski season. I couldn't do that now. This is such small beer.
    edited September 2019
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:
    This is not freedom of movement. It means we may be able to visit for "short stays" (how short?) without a visa. We will be able to go to France for days rather than weeks. When I was younger I worked in France for a ski season. I couldn't do that now. This is such small beer.
    The short term visa will likely be three-six months as it is for a lot of other tourist visas. It most certainly won't be "days".

Hey, it could have been worse.

He could have been standing under a giant banner reading "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"......
    George W Bush won re election in 2004 a year after doing that and left liberals hated him as much as they hate Boris

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

There is a weird kind of piling on going on this week, it's very bizarre. I think it will go too far at some point and a sympathy response kick in. It's a feeding frenzy right now which is unseemly in a time of crisis
    As someone who has long sought the office he now holds and has plotted to achieve it so intensely, making so many promises to do so, it's not exactly that I feel any sympathy for him, or that it is necessarily unseemly. However, not everything Boris does, even when bad, is the same level of bad. Even with Trump he's not doing something stupid and outrageous every time he opens his mouth. For me it rather undermines the impact of the really bad stuff Boris may say or do, because I get fatigued from being ourtaged over him saying big girls blouse or something.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

HYUFD said:
    » show previous quotes

They can remain members if they wish but no Cummings is right we cannot have Tory MPs standing again as Tory candidates while refusing to back Brexit Deal or No Deal as the vast majority of Tory members and voters now want in every poll.

If Boris won a narrow majority of say 10 and those 21 Tory rebels were elected again as Tory MPs he could not get Brexit Deal or No Deal through despite a winning majority based on a manifesto to do so.

You may not like it, it may be brutal but that is where we are now, diehard Remainers will stop at nothing to block Brexit and the Tory Party must be prepared to respond in kind to deliver Brexit
    Its right for MPs to back Brexit "deal or no deal" but that doesn't make Big_G a Lib Dem.

At worst it would make him politically homeless, as I was while May was PM.
  • kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I think Boris has been found out under the spotlight of unbending attacks from all sides. However, he allowed the poisonous Cummings into No 10, sacked 21 distinguished conservative mps, and prorogued parliament which clearly was one of several catastrophic mistakes. Upto the sacking of Ken Clarke I was giving Boris the benefit of the doubt but since then he is on a one way path to destroying his own sanity. His resignation cannot be far away, if only for his own mental health

It is upsetting to watch it and very embarrassing. In fact I have not had the news on, I cannot watch it.
    edited September 2019
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:
    The short term visa will likely be three-six months as it is for a lot of other tourist visas. It most certainly won't be "days".
    You can't stay more than a few days or a couple of weeks if you can't pay your way by working, for example, in a bar as I did. It's a nothing announcement and just reinforces the fact that, as individuals, we are losing so many rights with this fiasco. It won't persuade anyone who thinks Brexit is a terrible idea otherwise. And if that was not the purpose of the announcement then what was the purpose of the announcement?
This discussion has been closed.