Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reports of a heart scare for Bernie Sanders help Warren move t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reports of a heart scare for Bernie Sanders help Warren move to become odds on favourite for the nomination

Two national polls and a couple of state surveys in the last 2-days have  shown that Senator Elizabeth Warren from Massachusetts is heading the field, by a clear margin, in the fight to be the Democratic nominee in next year’s White House Race. This is a big change for until now the former VP, Joe Biden, had dominated just about all the surveys.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    First like Warren
  • NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    edited October 2019
    Second like Trump
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835
    Third like YANGGANG 2020 (Or hopefully not considering my betting position on him)
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited October 2019
    Warren is now the likely Democratic nominee not Biden which is good news for Trump.

For example the latest Firehouse Michigan poll has Biden leading Trump 42% to 41% and Trump leading Warren 42% to 41%, while in Pennsylvania Biden leads Trump 45% to 41% but Warren only leads Trump 43% to 41% and in Wisconsin Biden leads Trump by 44% to 42% but Warren only leads Trump by 43% to 42%.

http://firehousestrategies.com/exclusive-survey-democrats-lead-trump-in-key-swing-states/
  • 5th like Bernie
    On topic the latest alt.right smears on Warren are interesting!

https://twitter.com/hottakebob/status/1179551814586454017?s=19
  • Kamala Harris is the obvious equillibrium point between the desires of the Democratic base and electability. However Democratic activists aren't in the mood for equillibrium. It's a very high risk - high reward strategy. Thank God for Nancy Pelosi.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544
    Foxy said:

Shock the conscious ?

Fortunately the decision to vote against Trump is one most can make in their sleep.
    Pulpstar said:

Third like YANGGANG 2020 (Or hopefully not considering my betting position on him)

Ten million dollar man...
    https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/02/andrew-yang-fundraising-third-quarter-022493

Kamala Harris is the obvious equillibrium point between the desires of the Democratic base and electability. However Democratic activists aren't in the mood for equillibrium. It's a very high risk - high reward strategy. Thank God for Nancy Pelosi.

Kamala Harris is a black Hillary Clinton
  • eggegg Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2019
    Still just proposals, still in negotiation and we can’t call it a deal as yet. It’s still to be thoroughly tested.

Is the main change to the WA to be DUP compromises on border in Irish Sea in exchange for power In stormant to come out an arrangement it will never vote to do?

Does the border in the Irish Sea cover enough goods to satisfy EU? And the fact the stormant veto makes it time influenced not permanent?

Whatelse changes from May’s WA for Spartans to come onside and brexit party to be sidelined?

Will remain Tories come on board now so close to things moving in their favour and UK remaining? Ditto for anyone set on clean break brexit now have to have MayBoris brexit when they so close to winning with no deal.

Labour MPs may sound supportive this far out, but when it comes to ending their political career in the Labour Party by following Boris through the Lobby to deliver a Tory brexit, will there really be that many?

We should view it not as a deal but questions questions yea more questions
  • Hugely significant intervention from Corbyn today and ex cathedra as well. His most significant since calling for the immeadiate invocation of A50 on the morning of 24/6/16.
    edited October 2019
    Calling @malcolmg ...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-49915034
    Single malt Scotch whisky targeted by United States tariffs
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Justine Greening looks really pissed off
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

Warren is now the likely Democratic nominee not Biden which is good news for Trump.

For example the latest Firehouse Michigan poll has Biden leading Trump 42% to 41% and Trump leading Warren 42% to 41%, while in Pennsylvania Biden leads Trump 45% to 41% but Warren only leads Trump 43% to 41% and in Wisconsin Biden leads Trump by 44% to 42% but Warren only leads Trump by 43% to 42%.

http://firehousestrategies.com/exclusive-survey-democrats-lead-trump-in-key-swing-states/

I spoke to some US citizens when I was in Gibralter last week. They were registed Democrats and thought Warren would be a difficult sell. They were very anti Trump and I suggested Biden was best placed to beat Trump, which they agreed. They lived and campaigned in Pennsylvania. A straw in the wind maybe....
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited October 2019
    Loving the latest from the Extinction Rebellion pillocks:

How do you manage to miss a target as big as the Treasury Building when you are spraying an entire Fire Engine full of fake blood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJ7Zn8Sa0E

At least this time they weren't preventing ambulances getting to emergencies or causing cancer patients to miss their treatment.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    MattW said:

How do you manage to miss a target as big as the Treasury Building when you are spraying an entire Fire Engine full of fake blood?

At least this time they weren't preventing ambulances getting to emergencies or causing cancer patients to miss their treatment.

Enoch's prediction coming true...
  • Foxy said:

This pair of clowns are going to run out of road pretty soon, I'm amazed Jacob Wohl isn't already in jail.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,259
    With apologies...

Am I right in thinking that during the transition period for this deal (as with May's deal) there will be no changes to our trading arrangements with the EU?
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

With apologies...

Am I right in thinking that during the transition period for this deal (as with May's deal) there will be no changes to our trading arrangements with the EU?

Yes I think you are
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    egg said:

Still just proposals, still in negotiation and we can’t call it a deal as yet. It’s still to be thoroughly tested.

Is the main change to the WA to be DUP compromises on border in Irish Sea in exchange for power In stormant to come out an arrangement it will never vote to do?

Does the border in the Irish Sea cover enough goods to satisfy EU? And the fact the stormant veto makes it time influenced not permanent?

Whatelse changes from May’s WA for Spartans to come onside and brexit party to be sidelined?

Will remain Tories come on board now so close to things moving in their favour and UK remaining? Ditto for anyone set on clean break brexit now have to have MayBoris brexit when they so close to winning with no deal.

Labour MPs may sound supportive this far out, but when it comes to ending their political career in the Labour Party by following Boris through the Lobby to deliver a Tory brexit, will there really be that many?

Why would Labour vote for Johnson's Deal rather than using Benn's Bill to block No Deal?
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

I spoke to some US citizens when I was in Gibralter last week. They were registed Democrats and thought Warren would be a difficult sell. They were very anti Trump and I suggested Biden was best placed to beat Trump, which they agreed. They lived and campaigned in Pennsylvania. A straw in the wind maybe....
    Yes, sound advice from them.

Elizabeth Warren is John Kerry or Michael Dukakis in a skirt, a harder sell than Obama's VP
  • HYUFD said:

MOE for when subsamples just aren't unreliable enough.
  • With apologies...

Yes. Entirely reasonable considering that sudden changes within days [not even months] from now may not be the smartest move if there's a reasonable alternative.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

HYUFD said:

I was all for Biden a few months ago, as the only one who can beat Trump. Recent mistakes he has made are worrying, to say the least. Can he last the course?

I remain deeply unconvinced that Warren is capable of beating Trump.

With apologies...

Yes I think you are
    Thanks.

The next crunch point will be the end of the transition period then (31 Dec 2020?) when a FTA needs to be agreed. But that could be a new government and might not need HoC approval.
  • justin124 said:

egg said:

Why would Labour vote for Johnson's Deal rather than using Benn's Bill to block No Deal?
    Benn's Bill doesn't block No Deal, it just delays it. The only things that block No Deal are as they always have been agreeing a deal or agreeing revocation.
  • With apologies...

Yes I think you are
    Thanks.

The next crunch point will be the end of the transition period then (31 Dec 2020?) when a FTA needs to be agreed. But that could be a new government and might not need HoC approval.
    Don't all FTA's need ratification?

With apologies...

Yes. Entirely reasonable considering that sudden changes within days [not even months] from now may not be the smartest move if there's a reasonable alternative.
    Yes indeed.

I remain a Remainer but I would have been happy with May's Deal and subject to the NI detail, I'd be ok if this one was agreed.

We could maybe move on to all those lovely Tory spending promises then :wink:
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Warren remains the likely contender. Sanders never was going to make it second time lucky, and it is clear that the Reps are going to try and turn as much of the mud from the Ukraine issue in Biden’s direction; some of it will stick since his son had no qualifications for the job other than being the VPs son, so the situation doesn’t smell sweet.
    This. A thousand times this, Momentum remainer kids:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1179726380998811648

justin124 said:

egg said:

Benn's Bill doesn't block No Deal, it just delays it. The only things that block No Deal are as they always have been agreeing a deal or agreeing revocation.
    +1

Darn it, that's the second time today I have to agree with @Philip_Thompson!

I much prefer it when we're arguing :smile:
    IanB2 said:

Warren remains the likely contender. Sanders never was going to make it second time lucky, and it is clear that the Reps are going to try and turn as much of the mud from the Ukraine issue in Biden’s direction; some of it will stick since his son had no qualifications for the job other than being the VPs son, so the situation doesn’t smell sweet.

Indeed. It seems odd to me to be using this issue to go after Trump, when he will obviously tear down Biden at same time.

HYUFD said:

I was all for Biden a few months ago, as the only one who can beat Trump. Recent mistakes he has made are worrying, to say the least. Can he last the course?

Indeed, I think one has to remember Presidential elections in the US plumb the depths of degredation, which is not replicated in other countries to the same extent. If Trump can win the EC in 2016 I cannot see why Biden cannot. POTUS candidates always have question marks, if it is not a real problem: opponents will make it up! Think swift boats for Kerry in 2004 etc.
  • Hugely significant intervention from Corbyn today and ex cathedra as well. His most significant since calling for the immeadiate invocation of A50 on the morning of 24/6/16.

But Corbyn, like a surprising number of other people, is missing the very obvious point: any deal that Johnson brings to MPs will not look like the proposals he has submitted. They will look like what the EU wants. At that point the ERG will not vote for them. That's why this whole exercise is nothing more than a game. For that reason the tone to have adopted today is the one that the Tory rebels have - welcome the proposals, observe the small concessions, push on Northern Ireland and wish him luck. In other words, keep powder dry. I thought it was noticeable that in her intervention Swinson was actually far more measured than Corbyn.

The real challenge for Johnson now is deciding when to walk away. He needs to get the timing just right. The more he says that progress is being made, the more emollient the EU is, the harder it will be for him to storm off and convince any but the most credulous that this is not what he had been planning all along.
  • As a long and consistent proponent of legally-binding changes being made to the WDA for the past year, I must say I'm quite pleased with the past 24 hours. Curious whether all those who said that the WDA could never be changed are quite as confident of that now?

Despite coming across as one I've never been a "Spartan" no dealer though I would have been a Spartan MP if I was one because I couldn't support the undemocratic backstop. It feels quite good to be able to back a deal now. Lets just hope there is a deal.
  • Boris has played a blinder. Yes, a few things will be shaved off his deal to make it indistinguishable from Theresa's, but we always knew this would happen. The EU will keep magnanimously quiet to let him have his day in the sun. What surprises me most is how he got the ludicrous 'Spartans' to dance to his tune. What a man.
  • justin124 said:

egg said:

+1

Darn it, that's the second time today I have to agree with @Philip_Thompson!

I much prefer it when we're arguing :smile:
    LOL!
  • HYUFD said:

Yep, the mood among Democrats I know when I was in the US last week was one of despondency. Trump has minority support, but he has it in all the right places.

If a deal was likely the £ should be trending up sharply, given how much it has fallen since the post-Benn peak. But I am not seeing much of it so far.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

egg said:

But it blocks it for now and provides time for further negotiations.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Hugely significant intervention from Corbyn today and ex cathedra as well. His most significant since calling for the immeadiate invocation of A50 on the morning of 24/6/16.

But Corbyn, like a surprising number of other people, is missing the very obvious point: any deal that Johnson brings to MPs will not look like the proposals he has submitted. They will look like what the EU wants. At that point the ERG will not vote for them. That's why this whole exercise is nothing more than a game. For that reason the tone to have adopted today is the one that the Tory rebels have - welcome the proposals, observe the small concessions, push on Northern Ireland and wish him luck. In other words, keep powder dry. I thought it was noticeable that in her intervention Swinson was actually far more measured than Corbyn.

The real challenge for Johnson now is deciding when to walk away. He needs to get the timing just right. The more he says that progress is being made, the more emollient the EU is, the harder it will be for him to storm off and convince any but the most credulous that this is not what he had been planning all along.
    My take is the this is primarily about the blame game. Johnson has been pretty effective at putting the ball in the EU's court. But I doubt we're much nearer a deal.
    IanB2 said:

Trumps daughter has no obvious qualifications for her role other than nepotism. I think questions about this or that issue are factored into the level of support for Trump\Biden and campaigns over in the US are notorious for mud slinging!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836
    What happens if by the summit it is looking promising that a deal can be done along the lines of Johnson's proposal but more EU/UK negotiation time - another 3 months or so - is required in order to get it finalized?
  • Boris has played a blinder. Yes, a few things will be shaved off his deal to make it indistinguishable from Theresa's, but we always knew this would happen. The EU will keep magnanimously quiet to let him have his day in the sun. What surprises me most is how he got the ludicrous 'Spartans' to dance to his tune. What a man.

To be fair, if he does get what is essentially May's deal though it would be an extraordinary achievement. Obviously, as a reluctant supporter of it originally I would be very pleased if it happened. I just don't see how it does. For that reason, this all looks much more like a game to me. But it would be great to be wrong.

As a long and consistent proponent of legally-binding changes being made to the WDA for the past year, I must say I'm quite pleased with the past 24 hours. Curious whether all those who said that the WDA could never be changed are quite as confident of that now?

Despite coming across as one I've never been a "Spartan" no dealer though I would have been a Spartan MP if I was one because I couldn't support the undemocratic backstop. It feels quite good to be able to back a deal now. Lets just hope there is a deal.

I am yet to see how this is this different to Theresa proposing changes to the WDA.

IanB2 said:

Indeed. It seems odd to me to be using this issue to go after Trump, when he will obviously tear down Biden at same time.
    The next piece in the jigsaw is that Trump feels he has the religious nuts in the bag so will try to find a way to replace Pence with a woman, hoping to shore up against the risk that he loses a lot of female voters toward Warren.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,874
    edited October 2019
    kinabalu said:

What happens if by the summit it is looking promising that a deal can be done along the lines of Johnson's proposal but more EU/UK negotiation time - another 3 months or so - is required in order to get it finalized?

It's a very good question and another reason why this all looks like a sham to me. Would Johnson really walk away from what he has described as an excellent deal because it will take a little longer than he hoped for to secure?

• kinabalu said:

I don't think that will happen, its only the pressure of the deadline that allows compromises to happen.

If a deal is done along the lines of Johnson's proposal but more time is required for ratification then I think Boris could reasonably declare Mission Accomplished and allow time for a short extension.
  • Jonathan said:

Hugely significant intervention from Corbyn today and ex cathedra as well. His most significant since calling for the immeadiate invocation of A50 on the morning of 24/6/16.

My take is the this is primarily about the blame game. Johnson has been pretty effective at putting the ball in the EU's court. But I doubt we're much nearer a deal.

Yep. But having blamed the EU for No Deal we will still have No Deal. That, for me, is the biggest problem with the Cummings strategy.

IanB2 said:

Trumps daughter has no obvious qualifications for her role other than nepotism. I think questions about this or that issue are factored into the level of support for Trump\Biden and campaigns over in the US are notorious for mud slinging!
    Nevertheless as impeachment progresses the will keep the story in the news in the MSM
  • Jonathan said:

As a long and consistent proponent of legally-binding changes being made to the WDA for the past year, I must say I'm quite pleased with the past 24 hours. Curious whether all those who said that the WDA could never be changed are quite as confident of that now?

I am yet to see how this is this different to Theresa proposing changes to the WDA.
    1: Johnson can carry the DUP and ERG, Theresa couldn't.
    2: This has dragged on long enough now.
    3: Johnson never agreed with May's deal, May did.
  • Jonathan said:

Yep. But having blamed the EU for No Deal we will still have No Deal. That, for me, is the biggest problem with the Cummings strategy.

You assume Cummings wants No Deal. I think Cummings and Boris genuinely want a deal on these lines.
    With Warren looking likely but too short (Hold, sell if you like) Sanders out the game (Hold) and Biden treading water but still very much a potential winner (He is plenty of Sanders voters second choice and the withdrawal of Sanders removes a contender for both him and Warren) (Hold) it's a good time to look at the more minor but still realistic contenders

Boot EDGE EDGE is polling around 10 in Iowa and looks cheap enough at 18.5 to add stocks of.

Hillary Clinton is the clear sell of the year at 20.
  • Jonathan said:

You assume Cummings wants No Deal. I think Cummings and Boris genuinely want a deal on these lines.

I am sure they do. I also think they know they won't get one.

• surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Jonathan said:

Johnson voted FOR may's deal.
    Pulpstar said:

With Warren looking likely but too short (Hold, sell if you like) Sanders out the game (Hold) and Biden treading water but still very much a potential winner (He is plenty of Sanders voters second choice and the withdrawal of Sanders removes a contender for both him and Warren) (Hold) it's a good time to look at the more minor but still realistic contenders

Boot EDGE EDGE is polling around 10 in Iowa and looks cheap enough at 18.5 to add stocks of.

I have been significantly green on young mayor Pete for a long time. Perhaps we are in for a surprise.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I think you might be proved right on the WDA. But the problem anticipated was the EU agreeing to changes and they haven't yet.
    MattW said:

That's planned for next week. Really.
    edited October 2019

Jonathan said:

But May was trying to pass an agreement. This is not an agreement. This is a proposal from one side. Carrying one side is easy.

She similarly proposed changes to the WDA. She went to the EU, but didn't get them. There is nothing to suggest Boris will have any more luck.

Feels like a game of bluff and blame.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

Jonathan said:

Eventually. But he expressly said when he did so, at the third time of asking, that he did so reluctantly. He never agreed with it.

It's a very good question and another reason why this all looks like a sham to me. Would Johnson really walk away from what he has described as an excellent deal because it will take a little longer than he hoped for to secure?

It would be the Jeremy Hunt position from the leadership contest, ironically. I used to think Johnson's real plan was a deal but I changed my mind and I am not ready atm to change it back. So, yes, I think it's about positioning for the election.

IMO the deal that could get done is as follows -

1. WA with backstop changed to NI only and with a 5 to 7 year time limit.
    2. PD rewritten to target a Canada style FTA. No SM. No CU.

If I see moves in this direction I will start to believe that he is going for a deal - but not before.
    DougSeal said:

Jonathan said:

Eventually. But he expressly said when he did so, at the third time of asking, that he did so reluctantly. He never agreed with it.

It had the major disadvantage for Boris of not helping him achieve his ambition to become Prime Minister.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Omg that’s so funny . The Warren story. So the GOP will pronounce their moral shock at her bedding a bodybuilder.

• A privet equity fund? aka as a hedge fund? :)
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879
    If this deal does go through parliament and the EU, it's a real triumph for the ERG.
    They gambled losing Brexit, won, and to boot managed to get their man installed in Number 10.

A privet equity fund? aka as a hedge fund? :)
    Yew must be joking!
  • Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

Jonathan said:

It had the major disadvantage for Boris of not helping him achieve his ambition to become Prime Minister.
    I expect, like many leavers (tho there is a question as to whether that epithet genuinely applies to him), he would struggle to articulate why he was against Theresa's deal

Jonathan said:

No. I think they know this isn’t a flier. You suggested on the last thread that the EU would bung the Irish a bit of cash and all would be well and they would accept. Again, this is not just about economics. The customs/border checks issue means as much over there as “sovereignty” does to you - day to day you might not notice changes in either but they rankle all the same. Just as couldn’t be bought to accept Remaining, it’s principle to you, it is doubtful they can be bought to accept customs checks for the very same reason.

All this posturing is just talking to ourselves again. I may be wrong but Ireland rejected Lisbon (largely over the principle of neutrality) despite the level of subsidy they then had and I have little doubt they will equally reject this on principle. Money is secondary.
    One sentence in Johnson's speech I haven't read much since is what he said about huge investments to be made in N Ireland.
    So how much money has been offered to the DUP ? They don't vote with you if they are not paid.
  • I think @Jonathan and @SouthamObserver are fundamentally right about this. We've been through this cycle so many times I honestly don't see the point in debating it until we have a draft treaty text as opposed to Boris' letter to Santa or more likely Boris walks out rather than tell the kids Santa doesn't exist. In the meantime the usual suspects are welcome to their echo chamber. Tick Tock.

Biden is gone. Not a bad thing.

Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

Jonathan said:

I expect, like many leavers (tho there is a question as to whether that epithet genuinely applies to him), he would struggle to articulate why he was against Theresa's deal
    Boris having achieved his ambition is the key substantial change between now and March. It remains to be seen if that is the decisive change.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

IanB2 said:

I'm sure Biden has enemies in the Democratic Party. They could be trying to kill two birds with one stone.
    nico67 said:

Omg that’s so funny . The Warren story. So the GOP will pronounce their moral shock at her bedding a bodybuilder.

A 60 year old bedding a 20 year old. That is impressive !

Pulpstar said:

I have been significantly green on young mayor Pete for a long time. Perhaps we are in for a surprise.
    Iowa should be a great state for him, his stock might peak if he does well there.
  • kinabalu said:

It would be the Jeremy Hunt position from the leadership contest, ironically. I used to think Johnson's real plan was a deal but I changed my mind and I am not ready atm to change it back. So, yes, I think it's about positioning for the election.

IMO the deal that could get done is as follows -

1. WA with backstop changed to NI only and with a 5 to 7 year time limit.
    2. PD rewritten to target a Canada style FTA. No SM. No CU.

If I see moves in this direction I will start to believe that he is going for a deal - but not before.
    A WA with a NI-only backstop that lasts 4 years but is renewable every 4 years [and will almost certainly be renewed] is probably better for them than a 5 years then it expires one.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Do you really think he's out of the race?
  • It does look like Trump had genuine dirt on Biden and could have just taken out his strongest polling opponent. But he handled it so appallingly he created his version of the Nixon tapes as well.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    “I’m very worried about Bernie. I know how debilitating a heart attack can be. I’m glad that he’s in a good hospital and will have the time to rest and recover from the rigours of the campaign”
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    edited October 2019
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

That's planned for next week. Really.
    Is this a new variant of 'having blood on your hands'?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The next piece in the jigsaw is that Trump feels he has the religious nuts in the bag so will try to find a way to replace Pence with a woman, hoping to shore up against the risk that he loses a lot of female voters toward Warren.
    Step forward Condoleezza Rice. Ticks two boxes.

Certainly not for my book!

I look forward to Warren Trump debates. She knows how to wind him up, and his fuse is shorter now.

One sentence in Johnson's speech I haven't read much since is what he said about huge investments to be made in N Ireland.
    So how much money has been offered to the DUP ? They don't vote with you if they are not paid.

I hope Johnson is not going to build that bridge. It seems lika a huge waste of cash with big questions about usability for months on end in Autumn, Winter and Spring...
    DougSeal said:

Jonathan said:

He VOTED FOR it.

I don't think that will happen, its only the pressure of the deadline that allows compromises to happen.

If a deal is done along the lines of Johnson's proposal but more time is required for ratification then I think Boris could reasonably declare Mission Accomplished and allow time for a short extension.

I can certainly see the situation happening. I think it's probable. The EU will not pull the plug. They will say "Yes, interesting. Plenty still to resolve but let's keep talking."

In which case Johnson will have a decision to make.

My view is that he will call it off, pronounce the EU as not serious and resume agitation for an election. He will refuse to extend and the Benn Act will be enforced over his head by the courts. He will not resign. There will be no VONC.

So, November, we are still in the EU and are also up to our necks in a constitutional crisis.

And the whole thing will slide into 2020.
    Foxy said:

Certainly not for my book!

I look forward to Warren Trump debates. She knows how to wind him up, and his fuse is shorter now.
    At least during the actual TV debate he is in a studio and away from the nuclear football codes.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

A 60 year old bedding a 20 year old. That is impressive !
    Good luck to her! I look forward to Trumps outrage given he’s the paragon of virtue !

DougSeal said:

Jonathan said:

He VOTED FOR it.
    Not the same thing as agreeing with it. I don’t agree with the EU in its current form but I voted to remain because, as we are seeing, the alternative presented was worse.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951
    egg said:

If Boris gets a deal, the smart thing for Corbyn is to whip an abstention.

Keeps his Party together. Gives him a line to use in the election.

"This is a Tory Brexit. Everything that goes wrong in our country after we have left the EU lies at the door of the Tories. Every lost job, every lost opportunity, every dashed dream - blame the Tories..."
    Biden with sleaze, Sanders with health issues and Warren with an affair !

All happening for the big three.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

IanB2 said:

Nancy Pelosi wanting a white middle class elderly woman in the White House?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951

Ticks the box....
    Pulpstar said:

Biden with sleaze, Sanders with health issues and Warren with an affair !

All happening for the big three.

If you believe the Warren affair story!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Jonathan said:

He VOTED FOR it.
    Not the same thing as agreeing with it. I don’t agree with the EU in its current form but I voted to remain because, as we are seeing, the alternative presented was worse.
    I voted Remain despite strongly disagreeing with Cameron's aspiration to make permanent our semi-detached status in the EU.
This discussion has been closed.