Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The data’s clear: The Tories are retaining more of their GE201

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The data’s clear: The Tories are retaining more of their GE2017 remainers than LAB is with its GE2017 leavers

?!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var e in a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var t=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-"+e)||document.querySelector("iframe[src*='"+e+"']");t&&(t.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][e]+"px")}})}();

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    edited December 2019
    My campaign highlight
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    First!
  • Options
    Folk switching from Labour to Conservative over Brexit will live to regret their decision when they get shafted by the next Government.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The exit poll is conducted at representative constituencies in every region of the country for a reason

I think they concentrate not on representative constituencies in every region, but on representative marginals, and that the key thing they track is how stated vote on exit compares with the corresponding figures for the exit polls they ran in the same constituencies in previous elections. If my memory is correct on that, there could be a problem this time because the constituencies of greatest interest aren't necessarily the ones where they have built up a history to compare with.

For this reason, I won't be surprised if the exit poll is out by a larger margin this time than we're used to - so I'll be watching the live results as they come in* and comparing with the YouGov MRP projections to try to get an early indication.

* Hopefully with the help of @FrancisUrquhart
    Well live automated scraping the BBC website is working* (and much better scheduled to only look for likely announcements) plus building and publishing the spreadsheet to google docs is as well. So fingers crossed I can hit the button and sit back.

Although I capture all the seats / party %'s etc, I won't be putting those in the spreadsheet. At the moment, I plan to just concentrate on Tory / Lab fights, show swing and comparison to MRP (and 2017 result).

* Just hope they don't change the holding pages too much on the night.
    Cant wait to see it!
    There won't be much exciting to see. Is a bit like a swan, lots of stuff running on my pc under the water, but there should just be a simple link to a fairly straight forward google doc that will update itself automatically.
    Well my inner (and outer) nerd is very excited. :o
    When I looked into it all of this, it wasn't really that complicated. I wouldn't want the code controlling a nuclear power station, but for what we need it should be fine (again with the caveat that the BBC website doesn't change, I don't get the ban hammer and they do update the constituency pages in real time*).

* if they aren't, it should still be possible to scrap the live thread / Sky. But how fast I can do that on the night is another matter.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The exit poll is conducted at representative constituencies in every region of the country for a reason

I think they concentrate not on representative constituencies in every region, but on representative marginals, and that the key thing they track is how stated vote on exit compares with the corresponding figures for the exit polls they ran in the same constituencies in previous elections. If my memory is correct on that, there could be a problem this time because the constituencies of greatest interest aren't necessarily the ones where they have built up a history to compare with.

For this reason, I won't be surprised if the exit poll is out by a larger margin this time than we're used to - so I'll be watching the live results as they come in* and comparing with the YouGov MRP projections to try to get an early indication.

* Hopefully with the help of @FrancisUrquhart
    Well live automated scraping the BBC website is working* (and much better scheduled to only look for likely announcements) plus building and publishing the spreadsheet to google docs is as well. So fingers crossed I can hit the button and sit back.

Although I capture all the seats / party %'s etc, I won't be putting those in the spreadsheet. At the moment, I plan to just concentrate on Tory / Lab fights, show swing and comparison to MRP (and 2017 result).

* Just hope they don't change the holding pages too much on the night.
    Cant wait to see it!
    There won't be much exciting to see. Is a bit like a swan, lots of stuff running on my pc under the water, but there should just be a simple link to a fairly straight forward google doc that will update itself automatically.
    Well my inner (and outer) nerd is very excited. :o
    When I looked into it all of this, it wasn't really that complicated.
    It’s just so much better when someone else has done all the work. ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

My campaign highlight

?!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var e in a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var t=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-"+e)||document.querySelector("iframe[src*='"+e+"']");t&&(t.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][e]+"px")}})}();
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My campaign highlight

That was my highlight too. :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My campaign highlight

Well that's easy for you to say!
  • Options
    Not just the Russians interfering in UK elections apparently...

Hamas linked propaganda unit interfering in UK election

http://david-collier.com/hamas-propaganda-corbyn/
  • Options
    The double whammy is that not just are the Tories keeping more Remainers but those they lose are going mainly to the Lib Dems.

While Labour are not just losing more Leavers, more of them going direct to the Tories.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Folk switching from Labour to Conservative over Brexit will live to regret their decision when they get shafted by the next Government.

Possibly, but they won't have had it good under a Corbyn/Sturgeon government with regards jobs, pensions, immigration and interest rates.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2019
    https://twitter.com/roger_scully/status/1204034744096301056

anything less than a large Tory vote share would be rather disappointing.
  • Options
    Whoever runs this account, doesn't half do a lot of digging..

https://twitter.com/TimesCorbyn/status/1203766352172998657
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Latest Farage email below ... spot the lie:

Dear Brexiteer,

On Wednesday, the eve of the General Election, I will be campaigning in Hartlepool in support of our outstanding candidate, Richard Tice. Come and join me and let’s get Richard over the line!

In key seats like Hartlepool it’s now a two-horse race between The Brexit Party and a Remainer Labour MP. The message we will be delivering to voters is clear: only Richard Tice and The Brexit Party can beat Corbyn’s Remainer Labour here.

Join me in Hartlepool on Wednesday, where our team will be leafleting, door-knocking and drumming up support. Don’t miss this chance to make history in Hartlepool!
  • Options

The poor get shafted the most whenever Labour screw up the economy.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Obviously this is the case if you believe that Brexit being bad for them is axiomatic, but in purely political terms the election of lots of Tory MPs in traditional Labour areas will create powerful political reasons for the Conservatives to redirect funding towards them. At the end of the day, politicians’ default position is to look after those who vote for them - especially if they contribute towards electing MPs.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

It's an astonishing revelation that a daily newspaper based in the Palestinian territories is critical of Israel and supportive of Jeremy Corbyn.

This has changed my whole view of the world. Investigative journalism at its finest.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Obviously this is the case if you believe that Brexit being bad for them is axiomatic, but in purely political terms the election of lots of Tory MPs in traditional Labour areas will create powerful political reasons for the Conservatives to redirect funding towards them. At the end of the day, politicians’ default position is to look after those who vote for them - especially if they contribute towards electing MPs.
    The evidence from the US is that the right will try to regain the votes via social issues and immigration rather than improving the lives of the poor.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Labour looks to get votes from the poorest which encourages them to ensure they stay poor. Hence the poverty trap they created ensures they stay impoverished, while ensuring people rent is good for Labour.

Tories want to help people succeed and believe in mobility. Lifting people out of poverty and helping them own their own home is good for the Tories.
  • Options
    Only three sleeps to go.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    If the Wrexham constituency poll is anything to go by, the only reading of these teases is of a blue wave crashing over Offa's Dyke. They're apparently pushing hard in the NE Wales seats.. lots of Tories from safe English seats being drafted in to help.
  • Options
    I like Corbyn in the Times

"It's amazing that images from my exclusive last night also ended up on Guido's website today. Apparently it's all a coincidence. I thought it was only Corbynistas who want to take things without paying? Obviously not."

OUCH
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

The double whammy is that not just are the Tories keeping more Remainers but those they lose are going mainly to the Lib Dems.

While Labour are not just losing more Leavers, more of them going direct to the Tories.

True. And, the Conservatives can probably afford such losses better than Labour, as they tend to be in affluent seats with very large Conservative majorities. If the Tory lead in Esher & Walton is cut from 23,000 to 5,000, it's still a Conservative seat in the Commons.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Labour looks to get votes from the poorest which encourages them to ensure they stay poor. Hence the poverty trap they created ensures they stay impoverished, while ensuring people rent is good for Labour.

Tories want to help people succeed and believe in mobility. Lifting people out of poverty and helping them own their own home is good for the Tories.
    How can lots of people own their own time at the same time as the country promotes landlordism as a replacement for pensions. A party cant both be the party of landlords and widespread homeownership. Well they can, but thats because the public are suckers rather than any logical coherence.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

I get the sentiment. But they will get at least one thing they wanted. Which might be one more thing than they might otherwise have had.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Well, friends try to help friends......
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Pulpstar said:

My campaign highlight

Gesundheit.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Roger_Awan-Scully is the worst poll ramper in the history of polling.

Perhaps ever....
  • Options

alex_ said:

How can lots of people own their own time at the same time as the country promotes landlordism as a replacement for pensions. A party cant both be the party of landlords and widespread homeownership. Well they can, but thats because the public are suckers rather than any logical coherence.
    Indeed. Labour chose to be the party for landlords when in government which is why home ownership rates collapsed in this country.

The Tories for years have been taxing landlords putting additional Stamp Duty on second homes and offering Help to Buy only to those wanting to buy their own home not landlords and now home ownership rates are increasing once more.

I think the Tories increasing home ownership rates is good. I think Labour decreasing home ownership rates was bad. What about you?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Chris said:

It's an astonishing revelation that a daily newspaper based in the Palestinian territories is critical of Israel and supportive of Jeremy Corbyn.

This has changed my whole view of the world. Investigative journalism at its finest.
    You didn't read the article, did you?

Wasn't even a particularly good guess at what it said, either.
  • Options

RobD said:
    If the Wrexham constituency poll is anything to go by, the only reading of these teases is of a blue wave crashing over Offa's Dyke. They're apparently pushing hard in the NE Wales seats.. lots of Tories from safe English seats being drafted in to help.
    I feel we're being teed up for evidence of tactical voting. Just not the traditional type.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

True. And, the Conservatives can probably afford such losses better than Labour, as they tend to be in affluent seats with very large Conservative majorities. If the Tory lead in Esher & Walton is cut from 23,000 to 5,000, it's still a Conservative seat in the Commons.
    Sounds like we will have a big tory majority combined with loads of marginals for them to defend in 2024. The difficulty for the tories at that election will be half the marginals will be in affluent seats and half in post industrial struggling towns. I fail to see how they keep those parts of their coalition together.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

It may be that I am just an old cynic, but when I see pieces like this (and those purporting to link Russians to working the web on behalf of the Tories) my first reaction is to ask whether this can be taken at face value or is it a false flag operation?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

RobD said:
    Surprised given this is Liverpool diaspora territory, you'd have thought there would be softer targets. The Conservatives thought they could sweep here last time..
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Stocky said:

Dear Brexiteer,

On Wednesday, the eve of the General Election, I will be campaigning in Hartlepool in support of our outstanding candidate, Richard Tice. Come and join me and let’s get Richard over the line!

In key seats like Hartlepool it’s now a two-horse race between The Brexit Party and a Remainer Labour MP. The message we will be delivering to voters is clear: only Richard Tice and The Brexit Party can beat Corbyn’s Remainer Labour here.

Join me in Hartlepool on Wednesday, where our team will be leafleting, door-knocking and drumming up support. Don’t miss this chance to make history in Hartlepool!

I think I have spotted the lie. Nige will be in Hartlepool, but in a pub rather than out campaigning.
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    Stocky said:

Dear Brexiteer,

Well, presumably the salutation?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    edited December 2019
    Its noticeable that 11% of Lab Leavers intend voting LD. It can't in the main be a sampling error as Deltapoll also have 9%.

Rationalising it, I think it must be something to do with antipathy to the extreme direction the party is taking under Corbyn, held by people who would never vote Conservative but for whom Brexit is a secondary issue even though they voted Leave. For them a desire for moderate social democratic politics trumps Brexit.

What might the % figures have been amongst both Lab Leavers and Remainers if Swinson had not taken such an extreme position on Brexit? A bit higher in both camps I suspect.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

if you can react quickly to a Wales poll you can get 1/7 Labour most seats in Wales with Labrokes, or 7/1 Cons most seats with Paddy's. one of those could be a great bet at 17:05.

the 4/6 under 4.5 Plaid seats has now gone. 1/2 and shorter now.
  • Options
    Sub 50 minute 10k and sub 4 marathon for Jo back in 2011, which is decent.

https://www.runbritainrankings.com/runners/profile.aspx?athleteid=1044748
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sounds like we will have a big tory majority combined with loads of marginals for them to defend in 2024. The difficulty for the tories at that election will be half the marginals will be in affluent seats and half in post industrial struggling towns. I fail to see how they keep those parts of their coalition together.
    The Blair approach? Win big enough first up to last for three terms?

I really hope not.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,455

alex_ said:

In the 1980s the Tories were the party of both landlords and houseowners.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    No humanity and no empathy .

Bozos interview when asked about the poor boy suffering from pneumonia and forced to lie on coats on the floor of the hospital .

Absolutely shocking .
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Stocky said:

Dear Brexiteer,

I think I have spotted the lie. Nige will be in Hartlepool, but in a pub rather than out campaigning.
    It's due to be windy on Wednesday. Tice would be well advised to stay indoors. :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

True,

But do you know when the poll is due?
  • Options

alex_ said:

Indeed. Labour chose to be the party for landlords when in government which is why home ownership rates collapsed in this country.

The Tories for years have been taxing landlords putting additional Stamp Duty on second homes and offering Help to Buy only to those wanting to buy their own home not landlords and now home ownership rates are increasing once more.

I think the Tories increasing home ownership rates is good. I think Labour decreasing home ownership rates was bad. What about you?
    All governments this century are responsible for the housing situation, so Labour, Tories and LDs. Like the other parties the Tories record is mixed, Osbourne started to realise people without capital dont vote for capitalism shortly before he left and some of the recent initiatives have therefore been positive. Most of the negative impact from QE, nationalised mortgage banking and Help to Buy have happened under the Tory watch though.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If they indeed have a big majority, they'll probably be able to afford a decent amount of losses anyway.

This having been said, given current polling, I don't think there'll actually be a lot of remain con / lib marginals that will narrowly go tory (let's say by less than 10%). Probably less than 10. Most of their remain seats in the South East have huge majorities and while they'll probably be reduced a bit, they'll still be safe next time unless the libdems surge massively.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    If some ERG types in previously safe Tory seats get a bit of a shock and find themselves in semi marginal seats on Friday morning, is their the possibility that even they might start thinking about softening their Brexit stance a bit? Nothing focuses the mind like the thought of you future earnings being at risk...
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Boris has just said he might abolish the BBC licence fee.

That's really quite stupid. Yes it makes logical sense, the BBC itself is considering a new structure, as the fee is unsustainable. But why say it NOW? Why say anything controversial NOW, when the election is almost over, and probably won?

This can easily be portrayed - esp by angry BBC journos - as Boris threatening to privatise our beloved Beeb, as well as the NHS, blah blah

Silly man.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

That's really quite stupid. Yes it makes logical sense, the BBC itself is considering a new structure, as the fee is unsustainable. But why say it NOW? Why say anything controversial NOW, when the election is almost over, and probably won?

This can easily be portrayed - esp by angry BBC journos - as Boris threatening to privatise our beloved Beeb, as well as the NHS, blah blah

Silly man.

He’s appealing to the Corbynista vote.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Chris said:

You didn't read the article, did you?

Wasn't even a particularly good guess at what it said, either.
    Who could blame him, the site is a visual abomination. I had a headache by the 2nd para.

Still, I'll be looking out for being propagandised by *checks notes* Al Thoraya and Khamakar Press.
  • Options

Its noticeable that 11% of Lab Leavers intend voting LD. It can't in the main be a sampling error as Deltapoll also have 9%.

Rationalising it, I think it must be something to do with antipathy to the extreme direction the party is taking under Corbyn, held by people who would never vote Conservative but for whom Brexit is a secondary issue even though they voted Leave. For them a desire for moderate social democratic politics trumps Brexit.

What might the % figures have been amongst both Lab Leavers and Remainers if Swinson had not taken such an extreme position on Brexit? A bit higher in both camps I suspect.

Revoke without a referendum was the most egregious self inflicted error in a long time. No reward whatsoever from that.

Unequivocally for remain in a second referendum was sufficient. They didn't need to overreach.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    alb1on said:

It may be that I am just an old cynic, but when I see pieces like this (and those purporting to link Russians to working the web on behalf of the Tories) my first reaction is to ask whether this can be taken at face value or is it a false flag operation?
    You think the Israeli government is attacking artists for scheduling performances in Israel to make Hamas look bad?

I mean, fair enough, to be honest I had a similar thought, and I think in general it's the right response in this day and age. However, the range of targets in this article should preclude that from being a likelihood. It's very unlikely the same people are having a go at both British Jews criticising the Labour party, and supporting pro-Palestinian US politicians.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

If some ERG types in previously safe Tory seats get a bit of a shock and find themselves in semi marginal seats on Friday morning, is their the possibility that even they might start thinking about softening their Brexit stance a bit? Nothing focuses the mind like the thought of you future earnings being at risk...

I doubt it. There's very few of them in seats that voted remain, and even then most of those will remain very safe seats no matter what (like Windsor). Redwood is one who could potentially be vulnerable next election, but he's pretty much the hardest of the bunch, so I don't see him budging.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

No overall majority was 4 this morning, 4.5 now (Ladbrokes).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

Many regret their vote every time, that's life.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

True,

But do you know when the poll is due?
    It was 5pm last time (he ramped a poll).
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Silly man.

Why privatise? The opposite surely?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

No humanity and no empathy .

Bozos interview when asked about the poor boy suffering from pneumonia and forced to lie on coats on the floor of the hospital .

Absolutely shocking .

No empathy I can well believe, but no humanity? Come on.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Dear Brexiteer,

A constituency poll of Hartlepool would come in very handy for nailing this charlatan.

Only 6 of the 29 constituencies for which we have published polls come from N or W of a line drawn from the Severn to the Wash. The London/SE focus of this election is getting very frustrating.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

But that's how it will be portrayed. Boris is making gaffes as we enter the final straight. The guest workers comment. This BBC idea. The kid in the photo - Why not look?

He's probably as tired as the rest of them. Just three days to go. Help.
  • Options
    camel said:

Sean_F said:

The Blair approach? Win big enough first up to last for three terms?

I really hope not.
    It's an unusual situation given the Tories have won in government for 9 years one way or another and a big win should not really happen. If it does it might be that big majority is not the firewall that Blairs was given the letters was first term.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

alex_ said:

In the 1980s the Tories were the party of both landlords and houseowners.
    True, for context in the 1980s there were 5m council homes, now its closer to 1.5m, so the tories were pro landlords and homeowners by squeezing and reducing council housing. Today with a much smaller public sector involvement that squeeze is a lot harder so the decision is more whether to incentivise home owners or landlords. Not both.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Per BBC:

"Back to Boris Johnson and his questions. He's asked about the future of the BBC licence fee and surprises those listening saying he believes the whole idea of funding the BBC through a licence fee should be looked at.

"It is effectively a tax," he says."

So he says looked at. Nothing definitive.

If he wins, let's hope this is the leverage to force BBC to pay for all Over 75s.
  • Options
    wills66 said:

Stocky said:

Dear Brexiteer,

Well, presumably the salutation?
    Ha ha - yes, I enrolled purely to see what they are up to.
  • Options
    Clearly the Welsh poll is going to show the Tories ahead otherwise it wouldn’t be historical or are we falling for more hype that doesn’t deliver .
  • Options

alex_ said:

All governments this century are responsible for the housing situation, so Labour, Tories and LDs. Like the other parties the Tories record is mixed, Osbourne started to realise people without capital dont vote for capitalism shortly before he left and some of the recent initiatives have therefore been positive. Most of the negative impact from QE, nationalised mortgage banking and Help to Buy have happened under the Tory watch though.
    QE began under the last government and was needed as they'd ran out of money. Help to Buy was a Tory idea and has helped lead to record construction and improved home ownership rates I agree.

Which was my original point. Tories want voters to have capital. They want voters to succeed.

Labour wants voters to rely upon them.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

But that's how it will be portrayed. Boris is making gaffes as we enter the final straight. The guest workers comment. This BBC idea. The kid in the photo - Why not look?

Just a thought...dead cat strategy again....the stuff about the kid not getting a bed is bad.

What we do know, the media love to talk about themselves and the BBC going mental should anybody ever suggest that you know the BBC should ever be reformed in anyway.

His comment is totally undefinitive, just pointing out the media landscape is changing and the licence fee is reviewed on a regular basis (but isn't due to be looked at again for ages). But you know the BBC will now what to dedicate hours to talking about themselves.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    MikeL said:

Per BBC:

"Back to Boris Johnson and his questions. He's asked about the future of the BBC licence fee and surprises those listening saying he believes the whole idea of funding the BBC through a licence fee should be looked at.

If he wins, let's hope this is the leverage to force BBC to pay for all Over 75s.

I don't see why the over 75s shouldn't pay for their own TV licence. If anything the Over75s need to pay for much more in society.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

He's probably as tired as the rest of them....
    Which doesn’t exactly bode well for his judgment should he get another five years as PM....
  • Options
    Remain United have paid for an advert to stop Boris Johnson by "tactical voting" in Rother Valley.
    The comments are delivering under the header.
  • Options
  • Options

Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

Just a thought...dead cat strategy again....the stuff about the kid not getting a bed is bad. What we do know, the media love to talk about themselves and the BBC going mental should anybody ever suggest that you know the BBC should ever be reformed in anyway.
    Yes he threw in the BBC comment to deflect from the horror interview earlier with ITV. But without the license fee the BBC will not survive in its current form .
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Remain United have paid for an advert to stop Boris Johnson by "tactical voting" in Rother Valley.

I notice Led By Donkeys are still at it. Have they registered properly this time?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Clearly the Welsh poll is going to show the Tories ahead otherwise it wouldn’t be historical or are we falling for more hype that doesn’t deliver .

Weren’t they ahead last month?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

I think this is just as important a point as the retention difference.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,642
    edited December 2019

alex_ said:

QE began under the last government and was needed as they'd ran out of money. Help to Buy was a Tory idea and has helped lead to record construction and improved home ownership rates I agree.

Which was my original point. Tories want voters to have capital. They want voters to succeed.

Labour wants voters to rely upon them.
    The Tories have just presided over a decade where those with assets have raced away from those with wages but no assets. I think the first few years of that were unintended as politicians didnt fully understand what QE was doing and just following central bankers advice. The last few years have been a deliberate continuance, separating the country into haves and have nots. After a decade in power I will judge by their actions and results not their words or spin.

Obviously I have no time for Labours current economics either. No-one is representing workers interests.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    nico67 said:

Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

Just a thought...dead cat strategy again....the stuff about the kid not getting a bed is bad. What we do know, the media love to talk about themselves and the BBC going mental should anybody ever suggest that you know the BBC should ever be reformed in anyway.
    Yes he threw in the BBC comment to deflect from the horror interview earlier with ITV. But without the license fee the BBC will not survive in its current form .
    Anybody who has kids, know they all watch YouTube these days. Netflix and other streaming services are throwing mega bucks at productions for the adults. Disney+ now there for kids. The BBC will have to reform, and the licence fee in todays world is totally unenforceable, as you can't tie watching TV to a single physical moving picture box.

How we move forward from that will have to be debated. A tax on everybody regardless of tv or not or ads, or a bit of both, seems like the only way, other than total let them fight with everybody else.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

Weren’t they ahead last month?
    They were at the beginning of the campaign but the next poll showed Labour pulling ahead. Could I guess be historical share, but then I find it's usually wise to expect the opposite of what Roger is hinting.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

Trying to work out why Boris - normally good at empathy - refused to look at the photo. My theory is pretty simple, he worried it was a trick, to get him to look at something REALLY and personally embarrassing. Maybe a photo of one of his own kids?!

So he acts wary and defensive.

I do not believe he knew the photo and was too ashamed to view it. All he had to do was look at it and say Oh that's terrible, which in the end was what he did.

But he came across as shifty and sly. Not good.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The latter. Technically any poll is historical after all, it forms part if the historical record.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    MikeL said:

Per BBC:

Let's hope it's a means of shifting the BBC to a proper subscription model as forcing the BBC to pay for the Over 75s was a cheap tax trick by Osbourne and should have been called out at the time for what it was.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

I notice Led By Donkeys are still at it. Have they registered properly this time?
    Comment 1: Labour is finished here 💩💩💩💩🤬
    Comment 2: The new Bolsheviks
    Comment 3: Wanted for supporting the IRA
    Comment 4: Labour the party that {Whole host of negative things}
    Whole bunch of: Fuck off & Leave means leave

There are a couple of Corbyn fans defending him but it's overwhelmingly negative.
  • Options

Revoke without a referendum was the most egregious self inflicted error in a long time. No reward whatsoever from that.

Unequivocally for remain in a second referendum was sufficient. They didn't need to overreach.
    I have been thinking why so many Brexiters are so against the Lib Dem revoke policy. I think their concern is it sets a marker for a future reversal of Brexit.

The Conservative Party is setting off on a unknown voyage of ditching much of its traditional voter base for a new set. The bastion of SE England will no longer be their core heartland. Only time will tell if this is a good idea or not.

• Options
    What the data shows is that with FPTP the LibDems need a moderate Labour leader in order to maximise their own vote.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,642
    edited December 2019

nico67 said:

Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

Anybody who has kids, know they all watch YouTube these days. Netflix and other streaming services are throwing mega bucks at productions for the adults. Disney+ now there for kids. The BBC will have to reform, and the licence fee in todays world is totally unenforceable, as you can't tie watching TV to a single physical moving picture box.

How we move forward from that will have to be debated. A tax on everybody regardless of tv or not or ads, or a bit of both, seems like the only way, other than total let them fight with everybody else.
    Yes how dare the young choose to watch TV differently to the older generations and then not expect to subsidise their much richer parents and grandparents TV licenses. What is the world coming to?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,455
    edited December 2019
    Brendan O'Neill on the "people of talent/colour" controversy:

"And yet, remarkably, there are still some people-of-colour truthers out there. With astonishing speed they have become a new breed of conspiracy theorist. ‘He did say “people of colour” and the mainstream media should stop covering that up’, they say, insanely, coming off like leftish versions of Obama birth truthers.

Why is this happening? Because the anti-Boris brigade has gone mad. It’s been brewing for a couple of weeks and now it has exploded into public life. The ‘people of colour’ conspiracy theory confirms how unhinged the Corbynista wing of politics in particular has become."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/12/06/the-hysteria-of-the-boris-bashers/
  • Options
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

Trying to work out why Boris - normally good at empathy - refused to look at the photo. My theory is pretty simple, he worried it was a trick, to get him to look at something REALLY and personally embarrassing. Maybe a photo of one of his own kids?!

I do not believe he knew the photo and was too ashamed to view it. All he had to do was look at it and say Oh that's terrible, which in the end was what he did.

It’s bizarre . Not sure why he couldn’t just look at it and say that’s terrible . It looks like he couldn’t care and just wanted to start delivering his sound bites .

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    I had conniptions yesterday night, when someone posted a mock Survation poll putting the Conservatives and Labour on 39% each.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

"And yet, remarkably, there are still some people-of-colour truthers out there. With astonishing speed they have become a new breed of conspiracy theorist. ‘He did say “people of colour” and the mainstream media should stop covering that up’, they say, insanely, coming off like leftish versions of Obama birth truthers.

Why is this happening? Because the anti-Boris brigade has gone mad. It’s been brewing for a couple of weeks and now it has exploded into public life. The ‘people of colour’ conspiracy theory confirms how unhinged the Corbynista wing of politics in particular has become."

The Cult are particularly keen on a conspiracy theory from "alternative media". Its really sad actually. It is one thing to have different ideas on policy, but so many appear to be left wing versions of David Icke. I pointed out the poet Michael Rosen twitter feed is littered with retweets from these dodgy outlets.
  • Options
    eek said:

MikeL said:

Per BBC:

Let's hope it's a means of shifting the BBC to a proper subscription model as forcing the BBC to pay for the Over 75s was a cheap tax trick by Osbourne and should have been called out at the time for what it was.

A hypothecated 0.6% increase in income tax base rate would be fairer. The licence fee is both regressive and easily evaded.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

It’s bizarre . Not sure why he couldn’t just look at it and say that’s terrible . It looks like he couldn’t care and just wanted to start delivering his sound bites .

Boris can console himself that it probably won't shift many votes. It will just confirm to Boris-haters how awful he is. He's gonna have to live with that
  • Options
    Brom said:

https://twitter.com/roger_scully/status/1204034744096301056

anything less than a large Tory vote share would be rather disappointing.

Have the Conservatives ever finished ahead of Labour in an election in Wales?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Re above - my concern is that BBC charging over 75s is giving BBC an unexpected revenue gain vs original LF settlement - which will mean more BBC expansion, largesse etc.

The original deal should have been stuck to - ie BBC fund all over 75s in return for:

1) Return of CPI rises
    2) BBC stops paying £150m for broadband
    3) LF required for I-player

BBC have banked 1) + 2) + 3) but have now gone back on funding all over 75s.

Result: BBC revenue from 2020 onwards will be £450m higher than expected at time of deal.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Byronic said:

Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Silly man.

You are joking right? Boris Johnson is one of the least empathetic politicians I have ever seen. Wanting to be loved and loving other people back are two entirely different things.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Brendan O'Neill on the "people of talent/colour" controversy:

Spiked Online is the last bastion of sanity. O`Neill`s two books are essential reading.
This discussion has been closed.