Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s talk about Islamophobia

Comments

• Options

BluerBlue said:

How many points is this tedious rubbish worth? How many seats?
    BluerBlue joined this site on Nov 16th.

There was another one of those I discovered this morning.

Hmmm ...

Means nothing. Quite a lot of us appear to have joined the site on 16th November because we were unable to access our existing accounts and had to create new ones. Most people who appeared to join on that day have actually been here for years under different names (myself included).
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

This is not over yet

Looks like the Telegraph are going to make an issue of it

Allison Pearson

So I have detailed explanation from paediatric nurses explaining why photo of child on the floor is “100% faked”. I will put in @Telegraph on Weds. Stage a photo. Cause outrage. Castigate people who doubt it for showing insufficient compassion. Jesus.

BoJo didnt know it was fake at the time.
    I agree but it is not good for labour if this is true though I have no confirmation for
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    kle4 said:

Boris should be done for littering, he clearly leaves almost all the cards behind in that Love Actually video.

But really it is genius. Not the parody, we've already seen that done in this campaign, but for having a video prominently featuring Boris where he cannot actually say something for most of it - sometimes it is a positive for him, but as in much of the campaign maybe best to limit what he says as much as possible.

A suggestion for Jezza ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    kjohnw1 said:

This is not over yet

Allison Pearson

So I have detailed explanation from paediatric nurses explaining why photo of child on the floor is “100% faked”. I will put in @Telegraph on Weds. Stage a photo. Cause outrage. Castigate people who doubt it for showing insufficient compassion. Jesus.

Looks like this is going to backfire spectacularly for Labour 😂
    IF Pearson can prove it was fake - I have grave doubts - then yes that COULD be disastrous for Labour. COULD

But do the Tories really want the last 2 - two! - days of the campaign dominated by a story about some poor kid lying on a floor, or not, in an NHS hospital?

No. Better to let it go, take the hit, move the subject back to Brexit and Corbyn.
  • Options

Tomorrow's front pages are not quite so lush as the Johnson team would wish at this stage.

https://news.sky.com/story/tuesdays-national-newspaper-front-pages-11882667

Wow - the tedious rags supporting the antisemites are going big on attacking Boris, the others focus on completely different stories.

Never saw that one coming.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

BluerBlue said:

Tedious rubbish?

The NHS is on its knees. For the majority of people in this country it really really matters.
    To be fair, the old gal that is the NHS has always been on its knees.

There are alternatives, but they cost, and not just financially, but also socially in equity of access.

BoZo has to produce his funds for the NHS and knows it. It is the staffing that is the harder issue. Training takes time, and retention is worsening. Our Spanish nurses have nearly all gone, and our new Keralan recruits are taking time to adapt, as our new Egyptian and Nigerian doctors. On retention:

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/26/nhs-england-survey-reveals-alarming-downturn-in-staff-wellbeing?__twitter_impression=true
  • Options

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

280 mile range when you have a full charge and optimal ambient temperatures.

A longer range than my current petrol car. A full charge is about £7, no congestion charge and emission zone charge, cheap tax, insurance and servicing. The future is electric.
    I hope so. Once you have dispensed with a gearbox and had an electric transmission its hard to suffer any kind of gear changes. My problem with electric cars is:
    1. Scarcity. I very much appreciate Hyundai - great cars and amazingly efficient electric drive train but 12 months wait for a car
    2. Complexity. Too many competing plug types and the new CCS standard isn't standard on the (unreliable) motorway chargers
    3. POWER!!! To rapid charge <90kWH batteries you need Umph. You get that from Tesla Superchargers but iffy build quality. You don't get that from most CCS chargers especially if the car is an inefficient fatty like a Jag E-Pace or Merc EQC</p>
    Energy is current times voltage times time. 90kWh means 90kW for an hour, 90kW means 375 amps at 240 volts. That’s a lot of umph.
    Find me a UK charger that will deliver that to an ePace...
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

Tedious rubbish?

The NHS is on its knees. For the majority of people in this country it really really matters.
    Thing is I've been told its on its knees my whole adult life. I honestly cannot tell if it is or not as a result.
    Just as we've been told that the Evil Tories have been plotting to sell off the NHS since Fatcha. Who knows, at some point maybe they'll actually try, but why should people listen to the warnings? After all these years of the NHS staying stubbornly in public hands, the ceaseless wailings about collapse and privatisation have more than a hint of The Boy Who Cried Wolf to them.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

This is not over yet

Allison Pearson

But when people find out it was faked THAT will become THE story
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Today's most striking statistic is that SUVs are outselling electric vehicles 37 to 1 !

Electric vehicles need to be 30-40k, not 60-70k, and there need to be lots of 15 mins or less charging points *everywhere*.

Then, they will sell.
    A friend rep they had to open the windows to clear it. I will be sticking with diesel for the foreseeable.
    Kia e-Niro has a 280 mile range and is highly liveable, and £34 000. Great long term test review here.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/kia/e-niro/long-term-reviews/kia-e-niro-2019-long-term-review
    I had a 2014 Nissan Leaf. Poor car (in terms of ergonomics). Poor electric car (range, charging speed). Quite happy in my diseasal Volvo S90. Or would be had it not demolished a Ford Fiesta last month and been replaced by an insurance V90 petrol that (yay) is turbo and supercharged but (boo) drinks unleaded like its going out of business.

I think a big Volvo is exactly the kind of car that McDonnell wants to tax out of existence.
    2014 is nearly ancient history in EV terms. Electric vehicle technology is developing$100/kWh, according to the latest forecast from research company BloombergNEF (BNEF)...

I am due to change my car next year. I have a lease and get a new one every 2 or 3 years.

For the first time ever I am tempted by 1. an electric car, or 2. going without a car entirely, as I barely use my present motor, thanks to London Transport and, especially, Uber

I am spending £500 a month to own a car I drive once a fortnight. It is insane.

Sadiq Khan's psychotic jihad against Uber is probably the only thing preventing me ditching my motor altogether. Which just shows how fucking stupid his policy is. Uber will kill car ownership, given time, which reduced pollution and congestion. But Sadiq wants to keep polluting diesel black cabs in business. Twat.
    That's funny, @SeanT was an Uber zealot too. :lol:
    Taking an Uber is not unknown in London.
    What kinda car ya got, Byro?
    I think I could hazard a guess..
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Byronic said:

Uber will kill car ownership, given time, which reduced pollution and congestion.

All research points to Uber increasing the number of cars on the roads of cities it operates in.

Uber is just VC funded mini cabs, they are not magic.
  • Options
    OK. That Johnson Love Actually Video. Park your personal opinions and respect the craft. That is *sensational* politics. Genuinely the best thing in this campaign. And to swing voters in a fuckton of seats that will pull on the heartstrings just as much as the boy on the hospital floor would the opposite way.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

Hmmm ...

I was blueblue before I got locked out of my account, dummy.
    I assume you have BluestBlue as a back up in case you get locked out again.
    I'll only register that name if we lose!
  • Options
    Mark Steel looks eerily like Keith Moon in his final years
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Hmmm ...

Many of the recent joiners were victims of the Password Incident.
  • Options

kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

Tedious rubbish?

Thing is I've been told its on its knees my whole adult life. I honestly cannot tell if it is or not as a result.
    Just as we've been told that the Evil Tories have been plotting to sell off the NHS since Fatcha. Who knows, at some point maybe they'll actually try, but why should people listen to the warnings? After all these years of the NHS staying stubbornly in public hands, the ceaseless wailings about collapse and privatisation have more than a hint of The Boy Who Cried Wolf to them.
    There has been a lot of privatisation already, this thread outlines some of the problems this brings:

https://twitter.com/NHSMillion/status/1202650499176116224?s=19
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    So who set up.this fake photo of the boy on the floor?? Is it labour lies? Perhaps Southam Observer might opine?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Cookie said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

I am due to change my car next year. I have a lease and get a new one every 2 or 3 years.

For the first time ever I am tempted by 1. an electric car, or 2. going without a car entirely, as I barely use my present motor, thanks to London Transport and, especially, Uber

I am spending £500 a month to own a car I drive once a fortnight. It is insane.

Sadiq Khan's psychotic jihad against Uber is probably the only thing preventing me ditching my motor altogether. Which just shows how fucking stupid his policy is. Uber will kill car ownership, given time, which reduced pollution and congestion. But Sadiq wants to keep polluting diesel black cabs in business. Twat.
    That's funny, @SeanT was an Uber zealot too. :lol:
    Taking an Uber is not unknown in London.
    What you need - particularly if you live in Central London - is membership of a car club. A car when you need one and only when you need one. Far more cost effective. Also particularly suitable for families with two cars on the drive for the one time every two weeks when different offspring need to be ferried to different places at the same time.

It does mean you have to stop using your car as a spare room to house all the stuff which needs a home somewhere but doesn't yet have one.
    I have yet to find a car club which will tolerate the number of plants, compost bags, garden rubbish and similar - even our 7 foot Xmas tree every year - which goes into my car on a regular basis. My son once commented, while scraping off moss from the bottom of the car windows, that other people had window boxes on their houses while I had mine on my car!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    I know it is impressive to get a lot of people out like that, and therefore it is easy to get very excited and swept up in it all, but any politician or party activist like Jones knows that good crowds, lots of campaigners, even the more passionate campaign, do not always mean much of anything. In Putney things are obviously close, but when activists like Jones talk about the ridiculously incredible feeling of such events do they really believe it?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Boys/Girls - am I really the only person here who thinks Chuka is lush...?

He's pretty, but not sexy. He is well-groomed, which is often necessary but rarely sufficient.
    All my gay male friends would happily engage in physical activities with him😂
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It's complete BS repeated at every election by Labour supporters and members, and they know it's BS. So that makes them all liars.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

Tedious rubbish?

Then journalists should ask specific questions of fact about treatment standards, about the government's record of investment and its future plans, not gurning trying to create viral gotchas for 15 minutes of fame.

And I'd like to know - how many points? How many seats?
    A few years ago, the Kings Fund did a paper pointing out that (from memory) the NHS internal rate of inflation was 2-4% higher per year than RPI. No general taxation based funding mechanism can keep up with that without seriously impacting other spending areas. We need to look at the services offered and prioritisation mechanisms. Give local voters the power to set the priorities for the budgets in their areas. Draw a line where the money stops and anything below the line is not available in that area. Hard BUT local people will have chosen.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Today's most striking statistic is that SUVs are outselling electric vehicles 37 to 1 !

Electric vehicles need to be 30-40k, not 60-70k, and there need to be lots of 15 mins or less charging points *everywhere*.

Then, they will sell.
    I won't buy one.... even 15 mins is too long...
    I owned the original Tesla Roadster. When I bought it, the idea of an electric vehicle that could do 220 miles on a charge (180 in reality) was extraordinary.

The reality is that when you have an electric car, you plug it in when you get home (or if you want the electric car parking spot at the supermarket which the shorter walk).

Your car is essentially always "full" of electricity. And I can count on the fingers of no hands the number of times I did a 200 mile journey in a day.

With the latest Teslas, you can get up to 373 miles. That's comfortably more than London to Newcastle. 90% of people will go a whole year without doing a single journey 350 mile one day trip.

So the reality is that, with electric cars, you typically spend no time at all charging.
    Went from Amsterdam to Heidelberg in a Tesla. Stopped twice for a supercharge. Very easy.
    The future.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    BluerBlue said:

Tomorrow's front pages are not quite so lush as the Johnson team would wish at this stage.

Wow - the tedious rags supporting the antisemites are going big on attacking Boris, the others focus on completely different stories.

I suppose to be fair the front of the Metro is unhelpful to the Tories, but yes the remainder of them are preaching to the converted.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited December 2019

I had a 2014 Nissan Leaf. Poor car (in terms of ergonomics). Poor electric car (range, charging speed). Quite happy in my diseasal Volvo S90. Or would be had it not demolished a Ford Fiesta last month and been replaced by an insurance V90 petrol that (yay) is turbo and supercharged but (boo) drinks unleaded like its going out of business.

I think a big Volvo is exactly the kind of car that McDonnell wants to tax out of existence.

Ironically, big Volvos are heavily associated with the Swedish Social Democratic Party in the country of origin. Ironic because huge chunks of Labour’s manifesto are clearly nicked from the Nordics, primarily Sweden.

In Swedish, a big, square Volvo used to be widely referred to as a “sossecontainer”: a Social Democrat Container. Which is also ironic, as the same vehicles were considered posh in other markets, eg England.

(Sister has a Nissan Leaf: f...ing awful thing.)
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    BluerBlue said:

You're welcome to call Metro a "tedious rag supporting the antisemites" if you like, but it's probably the most significant newspaper among swing voters, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options

This is not over yet

Allison Pearson

If I wanted someone to take up the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of fair play on my behalf, I wouldn't start with the Tele or Pearson.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

BluerBlue said:

Hmmm ...

Means nothing. Quite a lot of us appear to have joined the site on 16th November because we were unable to access our existing accounts and had to create new ones. Most people who appeared to join on that day have actually been here for years under different names (myself included).
    I think BluerBlue is the not-that-hard-to-work-out new name of the previous poster BlueBlue.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    There are 65,000 electors in Putney, most of whom probably will not take too kindly to their street being flooded with Momentum activists when they are cooking the dinner
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Yep. They will gain 3 seats in London and lose 40 in the north/midlands
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019
    nunu2 said:

This is not over yet

Allison Pearson

His reaction is not too bad if you see the whole video: but that doesn’t matter because it’s not what most people pick up in the 30 seconds they have to look at it.
    In the same way IF it turns out to have been made up (and I’m not convinced of that) THEN it won’t matter what his original reaction was as people will just think he was unfairly treated.

In either case I doubt it will shift enough votes to change a single seat, unless there are any with single digit majorities again.
  • Options
    I half expected there to be a P.S. card saying meet me in Room X at the hotel round the corner in 10 minutes...
    https://youtu.be/nj-YK3JJCIU
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Then, they will sell.
    This is a normal technology adoption curve. Early adopters pay up, and this means that the work gets done to drive costs down.
    Here's a bold prediction: within 20 years, 85% of vehicles sold with be completely electric. Simply, at a certain point they will be meaningfully cheaper to buy and to own.
    That’s not a particularly bold prediction.
    A decade might be.
    I predict a decade. Less.
    A couple of days ago Labour promised that all buses would be electric within a decade. Well great. But I'd be very surprised if that doesn't happen anyway with either minimal state nudging or simply through market forces.
    Incidentally, many transport futurologists predict that self-driving cars will be the norm by the time the decade is out. Thus, no-one will own a car; you will hail one in the same way that you hail an uber and it will turn up and take you to your destination. Or to your public transport node to connect to a train to take you to your destination, depending on what you need and what you want to pay.
    I could go on at some length about all of this if anyone is interested...
    Probably not less than a decade.
    It will take quite a while to build sufficient battery plants, finance them, etc. it is a huge undertaking. And the major legacy manufacturers will drag their heels as much as they are able. They will lose the battle, of course, but it will take a little time.

And thus far, none of the new gigafactories are planned in the UK.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Boris should be done for littering, he clearly leaves almost all the cards behind in that Love Actually video.

But really it is genius. Not the parody, we've already seen that done in this campaign, but for having a video prominently featuring Boris where he cannot actually say something for most of it - sometimes it is a positive for him, but as in much of the campaign maybe best to limit what he says as much as possible.

A suggestion for Jezza ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0
    Boris should do Andrew Neil - but only answering with cards held up.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There are 65,000 electors in Putney, most of whom probably will not take too kindly to their street being flooded with Momentum activists when they are cooking the dinner
    True. But it is an impressive turnout. Is there a record for this type of thing?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196

OK. That Johnson Love Actually Video. Park your personal opinions and respect the craft. That is *sensational* politics. Genuinely the best thing in this campaign. And to swing voters in a fuckton of seats that will pull on the heartstrings just as much as the boy on the hospital floor would the opposite way.

Boy on the floor 1, Love Actually 4
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Kensington Constituency Voting Intention:

CON: 39% (+3)
    LAB: 29% (+2)
    LDM: 27% (-6)
    GRN: 2% (=)
    BXP: 2% (New)

Via @DeltapollUK, 4-8 Dec.
    Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

Gyimah collapsed to third, looks like Felicity Buchan will gain Kensington back for the Tories
    Bears out what I have been hearing (and sharing here) about the LibDem "surge" running out of steam and retreating in London/SE England.

They might yet be in trouble holding on elsewhere.....
    Interesting, they're certainly in difficulty in the Scottish seats that they hold, from what I'm hearing.
    Indeed I have now had 14 election communications from the Liberals begging me to lend them my vote. Their problem is I voted for Andrew Sinclair last week. SNP sources suggesting it is Andrew who is now challenging them not Jamie who they say is in 3rd place. Just over 72 hours until we know!
    Although weren't you very pessimistic about LD chances in your constituency in 2017?
    Indeed but both Jamie and one of his team have told me they are not at all confident and neither is the sort of person to say something for effect or false expectation
  • Options

So who set up.this fake photo of the boy on the floor?? Is it labour lies? Perhaps Southam Observer might opine?

I expect the telegraph will have a fully researched and provable editorial in wednesday paper out tomorrow night for the paper reviews

If it can be stood up and is shared by other media establishments it could make wednesday an eventful last day of campaigning

However, it may just as easily be dropped

Let us wait and see
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

It actually made me a bit sick but then I’m a bloke who has never seen the film and yet is still voting Tory. Well it wasn’t enough to lose my vote at least! But yes CCHQ has done very well, compare to Jezza mean tweets which is an idea from a US chat show and you can see the different demographics they are gunning for.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Boys/Girls - am I really the only person here who thinks Chuka is lush...?

He's pretty, but not sexy. He is well-groomed, which is often necessary but rarely sufficient.
    All my gay male friends would happily engage in physical activities with him😂
    I'm out Bi rather than Gay. But yes...
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Is the Labour party finished if they lose 40 in North/Midlands?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited December 2019
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Boris comes out in favour of unrestricted immigration

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1204042408457121793?s=19

You can see why they have tried to keep him in a box for so long. He really doesn't have any sense of what he is saying.
    While I doubt the fevered excitement some are having for Boris's gaffes or poor word choices today will be bourne out, I do wonder why they are changing strategy now to make him much more prominent. To my surprise the cautious, restricted approach was working, why risk that on the assumption the red wall was crumbling and Boris was the man to knock it down, when it was apparenetly shaky enough without him plastering his face on the telly in more prominent ways, and ways that might arise from him cocking up?

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

Gyimah collapsed to third, looks like Felicity Buchan will gain Kensington back for the Tories
    Bears out what I have been hearing (and sharing here) about the LibDem "surge" running out of steam and retreating in London/SE England.

Interesting, they're certainly in difficulty in the Scottish seats that they hold, from what I'm hearing.
    They seem to be predicted to get anything from 1-5 in Scotland, even with an increase in vote.
    O&S is nailed on
    Caithness has gone, from what I hear
    Hearing NE Fife swing to SNP
    East Dunbartonshire unknown
    Edinburgh West on a knife edge
    I genuinely don't understand how Ed West is apparently down to the wire - that is what I am hearing too.

LDs actually increased vote in 2015, just got overtaken by the SNP surge.
    Absolutely demolished the opposition at the council elections in Almond Ward, if they had put up 3 candidates they would have al got in.

I feel I have just totally mischaracterised the nature of EdWest Tory voters. Also the residual Lab vote must have evaporated and gone SNP.

Frustrating betting experience.
    The 3 or so times I've heard Jardine on the radio during the campaign she's come across terribly, smug, condescending with a hint of simmering anger.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

I saw thr thread header. I.lost the will to read it.. far too long...

Same as all cyclefree threads I'm afraid
    Not so - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/08/28/after-an-eventful-day-three-questions-from-cyclefree/.
    Lawyers are paid by the word :)

Though the few headers that I have done have been fairly long. It is hard to be concise.
    I’m not paid for my headers. :(

It’s all for love and glory. Those who criticise should try writing some of their own. This is the 50th one I’ve done this year.
    50 excellent contributions, that help make pb.com better than most journalism you have to pay for....
    Thank you very much. Most kind of you.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

HYUFD said:

True. But it is an impressive turnout. Is there a record for this type of thing?
    Most of this Momentum activity is in London, it is the likes of Grimsby, Bolsover, Vale of Clwyd and other Labour Leave seats north of Watford Labour really needs to be in at the moment en masse to prevent a Tory majority given current polls, not targeting a handful of Tory held London seats
  • Options
    Cookie said:

BluerBlue said:

Hmmm ...

I think BluerBlue is the not-that-hard-to-work-out new name of the previous poster BlueBlue.
    Thank you. I like to think my name is one of the most transparent and self-explanatory on PB! :smile:
  • Options
    Haven't looked yet, but has Brendan done his piece about how the 'metropolitan liberal elite' have 'sunk to a new low' by making political hay out of a sick child?
  • Options

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

You can see why they have tried to keep him in a box for so long. He really doesn't have any sense of what he is saying.
    While I doubt the fevered excitement some are having for Boris's gaffes or poor word choices today will be bourne out, I do wonder why they are changing strategy now to make him much more prominent. To my surprise the cautious, restricted approach was working, why risk that on the assumption the red wall was crumbling and Boris was the man to knock it down, when it was apparenetly shaky enough without him plastering his face on the telly in more prominent ways, and ways that might arise from him cocking up?

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

They seem to be predicted to get anything from 1-5 in Scotland, even with an increase in vote.
    O&S is nailed on
    I genuinely don't understand how Ed West is apparently down to the wire - that is what I am hearing too.

Absolutely demolished the opposition at the council elections in Almond Ward, if they had put up 3 candidates they would have al got in.

I feel I have just totally mischaracterised the nature of EdWest Tory voters. Also the residual Lab vote must have evaporated and gone SNP.

The 3 or so times I've heard Jardine on the radio during the campaign she's come across terribly, smug, condescending with a hint of simmering anger.
    Yes, she's a Scottish Liberal Democrat ;)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

I saw thr thread header. I.lost the will to read it.. far too long...

Same as all cyclefree threads I'm afraid
    Not so - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/08/28/after-an-eventful-day-three-questions-from-cyclefree/.
    Lawyers are paid by the word :)

Though the few headers that I have done have been fairly long. It is hard to be concise.
    I’m not paid for my headers. :(

It’s all for love and glory. Those who criticise should try writing some of their own. This is the 50th one I’ve done this year.
    50 excellent contributions, that help make pb.com better than most journalism you have to pay for....
    Hear hear!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Byronic said:

Uber will kill car ownership, given time, which reduced pollution and congestion.

All research points to Uber increasing the number of cars on the roads of cities it operates in.

Uber is just VC funded mini cabs, they are not magic.
    There is a city in Canada which has decided to do all its public transport using Uber. It's not working that well - though to be fair, public transport wasn't working that well either - it was one of those low-density medium-sized towns which are hard to serve with public transport.

The problem with Ubers for everything is when they are used for single occupancy trips they create just as much congestion as people driving - indeed, slightly more. However, they can be a really good solution for first/last mile trips to rapid transit nodes, which also increases the viability of providing rapid transit, because far more people can access it. Thus, significant attractors like city centres at peak hours are best served using high volume mass transit. Meanwhile, Uber and the like does a good job of serving the trips which public transport can't do well - dispersed, low attractor, orbital routes.
  • Options
    SNP shortening in East Dunbartonshire (Jo Swinson’s seat):

SLD 2/5
    SNP 2/1 (from 5/2)
    SLab 66/1
    SCon 100/1
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

nunu2 said:

Nah. They can bounce back.
  • Options
    It says something about the impact of Love Actually that when I was in the room while it was being played for the first time ever a week or so ago, I feel like i'd already seen about 70% of the film from parodies and memes over the years.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

O&S is nailed on

Like a Lib Dem
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Most of this Momentum activity is in London, it is the likes of Grimsby, Bolsover, Vale of Clwyd and other Labour Leave seats north of Watford Labour really needs to be in at the moment en masse to prevent a Tory majority given current polls, not targeting a handful of Tory held London seats
    But its proper grim up north....and full of racist Leavers.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Cookie said:

BluerBlue said:

Hmmm ...

Thank you. I like to think my name is one of the most transparent and self-explanatory on PB! :smile:
    Unfortunately I didn't think to grab an actually decent handle when there was the shift from discuss, and not everyone can pull an antifrank and get theirs changed.
  • Options
    Labour drifting in Sedgefield (Tony Blair’s old seat):

Lab 4/9
    Con 2/1
  • Options
    Alistair said:

PB - where people are glad to hear a holocaust denier is still alive then castigate Labour for anti-Semitism in the he next post.

There's a fairly big difference between being against something and wanting its proponents dead.
  • Options

Francis: 'Tories drifting on betfair...'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    kjohnw1 said:

Pulpstar said:

Rod Crosby is definitely NOT dead btw.

Stuart Dickson said he was yesterday . Is he or isn’t he?
    He's alive.

On an unrelated note here's a psephological observation...

looks like FPTP has broken down again. As far as the Lab/Con battle goes (whether or not Johnson gets a majority) it seems FPTP is now approaching a PR system. [Forget the cube law, forget the square law, it now looks like about 7 seats (just over 1%) will change hands for every unit of swing...]
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    nunu2 said:

Gain 3 in London? Not net as they will lose Kensington and I cannot see 4 Tory to Lab seats. Putney, Chipping Barnet, Harrow East and Chingford are each possible, but all 4 most unlikely.
  • Options

I half expected there to be a P.S. card saying meet me in Room X at the hotel round the corner in 10 minutes...

That's very good.
    You can't imagine any previous PM doing that and getting away with it. He really is a most singular individual.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Even the best bands / artists have to have some new material when they do their "past our bests but need our ego stroking world tours"...
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But its proper grim up north....and full of racist Leavers.
    Feels like Owen's mob handed canvassers are treating it all like a day out rather than work. It would explain some of the reports back on social media.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Just seen the "Brexit Actually" ad from Boris

The only ad I have watched and it really is rather different and good.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

This is not over yet

Allison Pearson

If I wanted someone to take up the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of fair play on my behalf, I wouldn't start with the Tele or Pearson.
    Rather depends if the alternatives are Goebbels or Beria.
  • Options

Francis: 'Tories drifting on betfair...'

Poll due, or are you just anticipating a random wobble? :D
  • Options

It's going viral. Clever stuff
  • Options
    Brom said:

It actually made me a bit sick but then I’m a bloke who has never seen the film and yet is still voting Tory. Well it wasn’t enough to lose my vote at least! But yes CCHQ has done very well, compare to Jezza mean tweets which is an idea from a US chat show and you can see the different demographics they are gunning for.
    I thought it was even more effing creepy than the original movie.

• Options
    Updated chart with the two good polls for Labour:

https://imgur.com/7agnQoq
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Brom said:

It's genius. Though it would have been more powerful, I think, if he had walked off at the end without adding anything. Nothing more needed to be said.
  • Options

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

O&S is nailed on

Yes, she's a Scottish Liberal Democrat ;)
    True!
    I think Michael Moore was the last Scotch LD I thought was ok.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

Tedious rubbish?

There has been a lot of privatisation already, this thread outlines some of the problems this brings:

https://twitter.com/NHSMillion/status/1202650499176116224?s=19
    GP's are private providers
  • Options
    KeithJennerKeithJenner Posts: 99
    edited December 2019
    Floater said:

If it’s the only one you have watched then how do you know that it is different?

Did you miss Corbyns one?

:)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    Byronic said:

He's just copying Rosena Allin-Khan...

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/1197884965444366337?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Yes, they should have sown Boris's lips up - it would have been a classic horror moment.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

That's very good.
    You can't imagine any previous PM doing that and getting away with it. He really is a most singular individual.
    Or did he pinch the idea?

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/1204159103318274053?s=19
  • Options
    Gotta be honest as a Lib Dem the three updated constituency polls in London are really bad. Instead of squeezing the Labour vote we have gone backwards in two seats. Looks like the tactical voting message is not getting through. I am way out West so not involved in the London campaign but it does not look good for Thursday with probably only Richmond Park and just possibly Finchley & Golders Green in play.
  • Options

Floater said:

If it’s the only one you have watched then how do you know that it is different?
    If it’s the only one they’ve watched, then it is by definition different from all the others.

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

nunu2 said:

It's a good question. How much are either Labour or the Conservatives kept afloat because they're the only game in town on either side that could win a majority? What happens when that's no longer the case?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Brom said:

As I said down-thread, people that loathe Boris will loathe this times a million, Like you.

This is aimed at swing voters, doubters, and, especially, women. To make him look lonely and a bit vulnerable, but on our side. Meta-Churchillian.

It does that superbly. I wonder if they have been saving this for a really bad day of the campaign. Hence, today.
  • Options

Byronic said:

But he is better at it
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

That's very good.

I'm sure he did copy it, what of it? Who's first doesn't matter.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Presumably the ICM 6% lead. What was the other one? (I've been out all day)

Great chart btw :smile:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Well there certainly aren't 700 Labour volunteers in my key marginal.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It should give the Tories confidence they will end the 6 week period exactly where they started it (with a 10 point average lead), so very different from the 9 points May supposedly lost in 2017. I think CCHQ would have bitten your hand off for this position providing their internal polling suggests the same.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm 120 miles north of London. I've never seen a turnout of Labour helpers in my life. Not saying that it'll make a difference, but it's quite extraordinary, and I'm aware of similar numbers being flung at the red wall seats.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:

Cookie said:

BluerBlue said:

Hmmm ...

Unfortunately I didn't think to grab an actually decent handle when there was the shift from discuss...
    Was that the shift to all out argument ?
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Floater said:

The Guardian claimed the crowd in Bristol this evening was 2,000 a massive difference from the earlier ramping.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

That's very good.

My assumption when I first saw it was that they were copying from that one. However, with a Christmas election it isn’t such a surprising idea. I suppose it is possible that it was always in the plan.

I’d like to think it was, to be honest. Imagine how annoyed Cummings and the team must have been when they saw it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

That's very good.

I'm sure he did copy it, what of it? Who's first doesn't matter.
    You can't steal a parody. lol. It's like a robber complaining their haul got burgled.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm 120 miles north of London. I've never seen a turnout of Labour helpers in my life. Not saying that it'll make a difference, but it's quite extraordinary, and I'm aware of similar numbers being flung at the red wall seats.
    As a non canvasser can a mass of people door knocking on a Monday night really be that beneficial, or will it be mainly posting leaflets? As a 9-5 worker I don’t think I’d want a conversation on my doorstep with an activist of any sort with the exception of a weekend afternoon.
  • Options
    The Tories lied again. I’m sure the Tories here will explain it away somehow.
  • Options

Byronic said:

But he is better at it
    Blimey any twit can flip a few cards. Even I could do it I reckon! :wink:
  • Options

Can't even be bothered. Playing fair against people who want to destroy the country would be an act of criminal negligence.
  • Options

You've got to be more specific. We tell so many you see.
This discussion has been closed.