Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At exactly this stage before GE2017 punters rated TMay’s major

Comments

• Options
    Stocky said:

Not a good look for Jonathan Ainsworth on Victoria on BBC

In fact a car crash

You would say that wouldn't you
    Only when it is true
    Only in your selectively true world, stop pretending you're impartial
    I am not impartial when it comes to Corbyn
    A lot of focus always goes on Corbyn, but let`s remember who is behind him: McDonnell, Abbott, Pidcock, RLB, Burgon, Butler etc etc. They`ve all got to go in my opinion.

How diferrent the Lab front bench would look with Cooper, Benn, Miliband, Kinnock, Nandy, Flint ...
    So if the bloody fools had not excluded themselves, we might be in a better place.
  • Options
    As usual with Guido, they've not released the whole recording. I wonder why not? Probably because it's equally as bad for Johnson.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Which Chief Rabbi do you think has endorsed Corbyn?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

In fact a car crash

Only when it is true
    A lot of focus always goes on Corbyn, but let`s remember who is behind him: McDonnell, Abbott, Pidcock, RLB, Burgon, Butler etc etc. They`ve all got to go in my opinion.

How diferrent the Lab front bench would look with Cooper, Benn, Miliband, Kinnock, Nandy, Flint ...
    Indeed
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

Nigelb said:

This looks pretty bloody serious to me.

Australia and Canada seem to be feeling the effects of climate change far worse than we do, or even NZ.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50722650

The most dramatic temperature changes have been in the Arctic.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-world/

To illustrate the point, Siberia's fastest growth industry over the last couple of years has been the export to China of mammoth ivory - which had been buried under permafrost for tens of thousands of years.
    It’s a 100 year project (credibly) to turn it around.

I just don’t see it as being credible the West can “stop” before 2050-2060 and probably 2080-2090 for the developing world. Anything more aggressive (which won’t happen) and we’d be facing societal collapse and insurrection, and probably even more deaths.

Therefore, we are going to have to take an awful lot of nasty shit on the chin, and mitigate it.
    An aggressive program now is going to be far less painful than 'taking it on the chin'.
    And I think your estimates of our ability to transition to zero carbon energy are wildly pessimistic and unambitious, particularly for the developing world.
  • Options
    RobC said:

Thread header is interesting and maybe there's a hint of a late swingback to Labour based on the two polls I've seen today. Hung parliament back on.

what two polls??!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,467
    Jonathan Ashworth says the person he was talking to was a Tory called Greg Barker. Is this the same Greg Barker who was Tory MP for Bexhill and Battle until recently?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited December 2019

RobC said:

Thread header is interesting and maybe there's a hint of a late swingback to Labour based on the two polls I've seen today. Hung parliament back on.

what two polls??!
    Didn’t the last two polls, while good for Labour, show a move to the Tories? Some swingback.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,155

Andy_JS said:

My view is that I don't think it's right to record a private conversation and then make it public.

I agree, why the hell was he recording it in the first place?

To me it seems like a drunken conversation I've had loads of times where I've ranted and raved about how shit Corbyn is
    But you are not I imagine the Shadow Secretary of State for Health.

Both leaders are people about whom their close colleagues have serious reservations. That is something which the voters ought to be aware of.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Andy_JS said:

My view is that I don't think it's right to record a private conversation and then make it public.

To me it seems like a drunken conversation I've had loads of times where I've ranted and raved about how shit Corbyn is

Both leaders are people about whom their close colleagues have serious reservations. That is something which the voters ought to be aware of.
    I think recording conversations with your friends and then selectively leaking them to the press is pretty low. I wouldn't do that to my friends.
  • Options
    Let's hope somebody leaks the full tape because right now we're getting selective quoting and audio
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Australia and Canada seem to be feeling the effects of climate change far worse than we do, or even NZ.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-world/

To illustrate the point, Siberia's fastest growth industry over the last couple of years has been the export to China of mammoth ivory - which had been buried under permafrost for tens of thousands of years.

I just don’t see it as being credible the West can “stop” before 2050-2060 and probably 2080-2090 for the developing world. Anything more aggressive (which won’t happen) and we’d be facing societal collapse and insurrection, and probably even more deaths.

Therefore, we are going to have to take an awful lot of nasty shit on the chin, and mitigate it.
    An aggressive program now is going to be far less painful than 'taking it on the chin'.
    And I think your estimates of our ability to transition to zero carbon energy are wildly pessimistic and unambitious, particularly for the developing world.
    An aggressive program by who? If you mean just us it won't make the slightest bit of difference. If you mean everyone including China and the USA it could.

Where we can help is leading the way in developing clean technologies and encouraging China to follow suit. Simply shutting down our manufacturing and exporting our emissions to China then importing finished products claiming we are net zero is worse than bullshit.

Our energy is far cleaner already than China's. Encouraging less energy consumption here but more in China then flying goods here is self defeating.
  • Options

speybay said:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1204344720702541825

Bloody hell, this is naive to the extreme. Although would be interesting to hear what the Tory MP said - I notice that hasn't been released, probably because it's just as bad about Johnson.

Do you have a day job? Seriously!

It would be good to hear someone else's view occasionally rather than your relentless astro-turfing..
    Why don't you fuck off?
    That is not acceptable to any poster
    No you know what, I don't give a toss anymore. I've tried to be pleasant to people here and they just throw it back in my face. To be fair to you you've always been pleasant but others haven't and it's right they get called out for it.
    There are ways of doing it
    And I've tried being pleasant and people don't respect me, so why should I respect them?

Like I said, you've always been pleasant to me so I have treated you in the same way - but others have not. And I am not going to change what I do or so, thank you.
    Thats probably because youve become such a PB bore.

A period of silence from you would be most welcome...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,467
    Maybe it was Greg Baker, not Barker. I may have misheard.
  • Options

Let's hope somebody leaks the full tape because right now we're getting selective quoting and audio

But recording your neighbours is OK?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Cyclefree said:

Andy_JS said:

Having watched the leaders on TV I wish I could vote for either a party led by Nicola Sturgeon or one led by Adam Price. TBH, I think of the two Ms Sturgeon shades it.
    Ms Swinson seems, so far, to be an example of the Peter Principle. Rather a pity that someone from the 2017 wasn't chosen, who couldn't have the cruelties of the early Coalition years hung round her neck.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Andy_JS said:

I think recording conversations with your friends and then selectively leaking them to the press is pretty low. I wouldn't do that to my friends.
    Are your friends potential cabinet ministers? :D
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Cyclefree said:

nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Joanthan Ashworth is Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care.

What happened?
    This is the story. https://order-order.com/2019/12/10/ashworth-civil-service-machine-will-move-quickly-safeguard-national-security-corbyn/

Ashworth has confirmed the recording is real but is claiming today that it was banter with a friend.
    Hmmmm I dont think Corbyn being a security risk is banter.
  • Options
    All voices should be welcome on PB and a little less shooting the messenger wouldn't go amiss. Tempers may be high but if you have nothing nice to say draw a deep breath and move on.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363

Nigelb said:

I don't know if it's been reported here, but on Sunday the Uk generated over 40% of its electricity from wind. Add in solar and hydro and you get close to 50%. Once you take on board the 20-odd percent from nuclear, well over 70% of UK energy came from non-carbon sources. The growth in renewables has been frankly aatonishing and there is no reason to think that this growth will abate. Granted, Sunday is a low-demand day, but pretty encouraging, no?
  • Options

There was a case for doing that; seemed like a full-blown case of assault was brewing. Giving it to the Press; well Johnson's a public figure.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Andy_JS said:

I agree. I wouldn’t do that to my friends.

Nonetheless is this what Ashworth thinks about Corbyn? It is pretty worrying for a potential Labour Cabinet Minister to be saying, apparently, that the Civil Service will do whatever's necessary to protect the country from the PM because the latter’s a security risk.

And if so that is something voters should know.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Endillion said:

Which Chief Rabbi do you think has endorsed Corbyn?
    Maginn is an obsessive compulsive Jew baiter.
  • Options

All voices should be welcome on PB and a little less shooting the messenger wouldn't go amiss. Tempers may be high but if you have nothing nice to say draw a deep breath and move on.

Don’t worry. We’ll be back to bitching about pineapple pizza before long. :)
  • Options
    I've listened to the tape, it sounds pretty sarcastic to me anyway but remember I am Jeremy Corbyn's official PR spokesman
  • Options
    Ashworth story shows you should never trust a Tory.
  • Options

In that spirit, I appreciated your polite response to my long post yesterday about “guests” and my parents’ experiences.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Cyclefree said:

nunu2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Joanthan Ashworth is Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care.

What happened?
    This is the story. https://order-order.com/2019/12/10/ashworth-civil-service-machine-will-move-quickly-safeguard-national-security-corbyn/

Ashworth has confirmed the recording is real but is claiming today that it was banter with a friend.
    Hmmmm I dont think Corbyn being a security risk is banter.
    What many voters fear has now been confirmed by a senior figure in Corbyn's shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Stand down Labour rampers, I repeat stand down

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/12/10/general-election-jeremy-corbyn-labour-johnson-brexit-news-latest/

Jeremy Corbyn's chances of winning the election are “dire”, and the party's reception in some parts of the country “abysmal”, the shadow health secretary has claimed.

In an explosive recording leaked this morning, Jonathan Ashworth is heard telling a friend to “stop worrying” because a Labour victory is “not going...

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913

Unlikely, the Tory wont have forwarded anything that doesn't support the narrative and who else would have it?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    RobD said:

It's almost the season for watching Diehard.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

98% chance of rain. 63 mph winds. This is going to be a fun canvass session..... 😒

100% here
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    The Tories are going to be going heavily on these security angles in the last couple of days, because their polls have shown good results for it.

It's a battle for the news agenda between the boy in the NHS, prime Labour territory, and anything the Tories can find to fight it.
  • Options

Unlikely, the Tory wont have forwarded anything that doesn't support the narrative and who else would have it?
    True.

I guarantee the Tory was saying "it's dire for us, Corbyn is going to win" and said Johnson is total crap and a liar.

This isn't an uncommon view, even amongst Tory MPs.

It's just Guido being the Government mouthpiece again.
  • Options

FYI for those interested in my live data scraping for the big night. In addition to spreadsheet, I intend to have the following two charts be live updated...

One showing current seat results vs what YouGov MRP predicted for those seats, and the second current result + what YouGov predicts for remaining undeclared seats (ordered in estimated declaration time).

Hopefully, we should see quite quickly how well YouGov MRP is doing this time and what that means for the final result.

Wonderful! One thing I really want to see is a model that updates with every declaration, so you can watch the seat projection change, and the confidence interval get smaller, as the night goes on.
  • Options

RobD said:

It's almost the season for watching Diehard.

Good god, you are right :open_mouth:
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

I don't know if it's been reported here, but on Sunday the Uk generated over 40% of its electricity from wind. Add in solar and hydro and you get close to 50%. Once you take on board the 20-odd percent from nuclear, well over 70% of UK energy came from non-carbon sources. The growth in renewables has been frankly aatonishing and there is no reason to think that this growth will abate. Granted, Sunday is a low-demand day, but pretty encouraging, no?
    Agreed. It's a shame people won't accept it but the UK is doing a fantastic world beating job at switching away from carbon. And helping to develop clean affordable alternatives to generate energy.

If we produced more in this country and flew in less our carbon emissions might go up a bit or take longer to come down to zero but our net contribution to global carbon would be an improvement.

How much carbon is generated in China, pumped into the atmosphere then the output of it flown here generating more carbon?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

FYI for those interested in my live data scraping for the big night. In addition to spreadsheet, I intend to have the following two charts be live updated...

One showing current seat results vs what YouGov MRP predicted for those seats, and the second current result + what YouGov predicts for remaining undeclared seats (ordered in estimated declaration time).

Hopefully, we should see quite quickly how well YouGov MRP is doing this time and what that means for the final result.

Wonderful! One thing I really want to see is a model that updates with every declaration, so you can watch the seat projection change, and the confidence interval get smaller, as the night goes on.
    I think I can do that too....As effectively where the dotted lines end up are the "prediction", because it is actual result plus MRP for whats left.

I do all this nonsense and we will probably find MRP is absolute garbage!!!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Times and Guardian now covering the Ashworth story.

Difficult for his mate, you dont want to ruin a friendship but National Security is very important.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Relatively speaking to the 2017 campaign it was this evening David Herdson posted that update.

Ooh exciting. I shall get some whisky and ice ready. Though do I remember that David is no longer politically active because of #proroguegate?

Who will be the 2019 equivalent? MarqueeMark saying that Totnes is going yellow after all? Or the Horse person throwing in the towel?
    Yup David and myself are hors de combat.
    It would be interesting to read more of a personal piece from either of you on what it's been like to go from being so politically engaged that you were canvassers to sitting on the sidelines of an election. Because if we are honest being a canvasser is a pretty fringe activity.

Will your heart be a flutter at 9.59 for any reason other than your betfair account? Or will you be at the local Odeon watching Cats?
    It is always for the betting.

It is a pity that they can’t both lose.

If Corbyn had said what Johnson said yesterday about migrants but about the Jews he would have been rightly condemned.

Both leaders are turning their parties into sewers.

I look at the Tory manifesto pledge to weaken the judiciary and think eventually one day a Corbynite will win and the moment we need a strong judiciary to stop the unlawful seizure of assets they’ll have been castrated by a cheering Tory party.
    100% agree.

The best result is a Hung Parliament which Corbyn can resign and we can have a Government with a new face of Labour that with LDs, SNP, Plaid and Greens, a decent percentage of the population has voted for. Then we can have electoral reform and actually have a working democracy again.

A Hung Parliament is literally the best outcome for PR.
    One should always expect Labour betrayal though.

A benevolent artificial super intelligence taking over the world is a much more likely route to positive political change in the UK.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Andy_JS said:

Nonetheless is this what Ashworth thinks about Corbyn? It is pretty worrying for a potential Labour Cabinet Minister to be saying, apparently, that the Civil Service will do whatever's necessary to protect the country from the PM because the latter’s a security risk.

Yes they bloody shoud know

Mind you, they should have been aware of that already
  • Options
    Mango said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Relatively speaking to the 2017 campaign it was this evening David Herdson posted that update.

Ooh exciting. I shall get some whisky and ice ready. Though do I remember that David is no longer politically active because of #proroguegate?

Who will be the 2019 equivalent? MarqueeMark saying that Totnes is going yellow after all? Or the Horse person throwing in the towel?
    It would be interesting to read more of a personal piece from either of you on what it's been like to go from being so politically engaged that you were canvassers to sitting on the sidelines of an election. Because if we are honest being a canvasser is a pretty fringe activity.

Will your heart be a flutter at 9.59 for any reason other than your betfair account? Or will you be at the local Odeon watching Cats?

If Corbyn had said what Johnson said yesterday about migrants but about the Jews he would have been rightly condemned.

I look at the Tory manifesto pledge to weaken the judiciary and think eventually one day a Corbynite will win and the moment we need a strong judiciary to stop the unlawful seizure of assets they’ll have been castrated by a cheering Tory party.
    100% agree.

The best result is a Hung Parliament which Corbyn can resign and we can have a Government with a new face of Labour that with LDs, SNP, Plaid and Greens, a decent percentage of the population has voted for. Then we can have electoral reform and actually have a working democracy again.

A Hung Parliament is literally the best outcome for PR.
    One should always expect Labour betrayal though.

A benevolent artificial super intelligence taking over the world is a much more likely route to positive political change in the UK.
    In this case though, Labour is going to have literally no power to do anything. But the LDs and SNP will have a lot. If they want to stop Labour and the Tories for good, they'll force PR.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Stocky said:

In fact a car crash

Only when it is true

Well, quite. [Pauses for brief primal scream in frustration]. But Labour has always had its quota of fringe loonies. Why, in retrospect, did I not vote Lab in 2015? It wasn't because of Ed Miliband's inability to eat a sandwich. It's because I was horrified by the nutters behind him, in yhe PLP and the party at large. Just as many Labour votets are horrified by the likes of Mark Francois.
    If a party could clean out its loonies it would become much more attractive. But would have no activist base.
    I don't really have a solution to this.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Thanks in advance, FU.
  • Options

There was a case for doing that; seemed like a full-blown case of assault was brewing. Giving it to the Press; well Johnson's a public figure.
    LOL - so ok if target a tory?

• Options

Amen. One of the great strengths of PB.com is the diversity of opinions and perspectives. While the truth may be absolute, our perception of it is relative. If there are posters whose posts you find repetitive or tedious (a particular bugbear, "How could anyone thinking of voting for Johnson/Corbyn possibly live with themselves when X, Y, Z"scroll past them - don't waste your time and theirs telling them to post elsewhere.
  • Options
    It's so evidently a wind up on the phone call, I can't believe anyone actually thinks Ashworth is being serious, he literally laughs on the phone.

And why hide the voice of the person he was talking to?
  • Options

RobD said:

I think I can do that too....As effectively where the dotted lines end up are the "prediction", because it is actual result plus MRP for whats left.

That’s half what I want (not good enough, Mr Urquhart!), as the model doesn’t react to the results. :p
  • Options

Regardless of what you think of the Yoon to Nat narrative, this is a devastatingly accurate description of the SCon campaign. The SCons will be an interesting experiment in how long a party (sub branch) can operate without policies, ideas or aspirations.

'Step forward the Conservative and Unionist Party. Campaign leaflets from the SNP and Conservative candidates arrived recently at our house near Loch Ness. The SNP’s Drew Hendry spelt out what he is doing at present and intends to do if elected. On the other hand, the Conservative candidate, Fiona Fawcett, told me only that she doesn’t want another referendum and — for that reason alone — I should give her my vote.

Not a word on any national, regional or local policy. Not a word on Brexit. Not a word on what she personally stands for. I tweeted to point out the contrast and within two hours Dr Fawcett had blocked me. One look at her website does reveal what her priorities would be if elected, and shows that she has an admirable CV in both a professional and a voluntary capacity. I have no animosity towards her. However, I do have lots of questions for Dr Fawcett and other Scottish Tories, despite their keenness to avoid communicating with me. They are doing this all over Scotland. Do they realise that campaign literature of the sort she sent is an insult to our intelligence? Do they think avoiding talking about Brexit just makes it go away? Are they really comfortable campaigning for a man who lies as easily as he breathes, and whose idea of scrutiny is talking to the camera without an interviewer?'

https://tinyurl.com/tcgz2mj

I was told on here they were surging and going to do great things , win more seats etc. Where is RobD, Cadboil and Hyfud. Rampers all.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Betfair Tory maj at 1.36. Let`s see if this changes after MRP poll.

Out this evening I think?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

10pm, I think?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Apparently 40 is the age when people change from being more likely to vote Labour to being more likely to vote Conservative, compared to 47 at the last election. (Maybe that figure has changed slightly as a result of the election campaign).

Just public getting dimmer
  • Options
    Brom said:

Difficult for his mate, you dont want to ruin a friendship but National Security is very important.

And BBC news now
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes they bloody shoud know

Mind you, they should have been aware of that already
    In the scales of national significance it is a bit higher than C4's lengthy shock revelation last night that the Brexit party in Hartlepool includes a couple of disgusting layabout racist losers.

• Options
    Like the man says

"Labour’s own Shadow Cabinet Health Minister hopes they lose and they can get rid of Jeremy Corbyn. In the event that Corbyn gets into Downing Street, he hopes the Civil Service machine would be able to safeguard national security from Prime Minister Corbyn. Has there ever been a situation where Labour frontbenchers hope their party loses because their leader is a risk to national security?"

Incendiary

• Options
    Stocky said:

In fact a car crash

Only when it is true

There are a good few donkeys in your second list
  • Options

speybay said:

Bloody hell, this is naive to the extreme. Although would be interesting to hear what the Tory MP said - I notice that hasn't been released, probably because it's just as bad about Johnson.

It would be good to hear someone else's view occasionally rather than your relentless astro-turfing..
    Why don't you fuck off?
    No you know what, I don't give a toss anymore. I've tried to be pleasant to people here and they just throw it back in my face. To be fair to you you've always been pleasant but others haven't and it's right they get called out for it.
    And I've tried being pleasant and people don't respect me, so why should I respect them?

Like I said, you've always been pleasant to me so I have treated you in the same way - but others have not. And I am not going to change what I do or so, thank you.
    If I were you I’d take a break from the site for a few hours.
  • Options
    I am sure many are disappointed that I will stay around post the election
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Floater said:

Like the man says

"Labour’s own Shadow Cabinet Health Minister hopes they lose and they can get rid of Jeremy Corbyn. In the event that Corbyn gets into Downing Street, he hopes the Civil Service machine would be able to safeguard national security from Prime Minister Corbyn. Has there ever been a situation where Labour frontbenchers hope their party loses because their leader is a risk to national security?"

Incendiary

Guido lie or Daily Mail lie?
  • Options

speybay said:

Why don't you fuck off?

Too right , if they hand it out they should expect it back and not be the snowflakes we see on here. They don't like it though.
  • Options

Hilarious,the idiot Ashworth should just put his hands up instead of trying to lie his way out of it.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Very encouraging, but it will take 20-30 years to fully decarbonise transport and residential property.

Energy production is a big part of it but only part of it.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

It's so evidently a wind up on the phone call, I can't believe anyone actually thinks Ashworth is being serious, he literally laughs on the phone.

And why hide the voice of the person he was talking to?

Many a true word said in jest.
  • Options

It’ll be far less heated, certainly. PB is dead after elections.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1202670854410297344

Somebody asked me earlier - 7M views on this one
  • Options

Could not care less either way

You destroyed your own credibility a while back
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Can anyone tell me how many views the Ashworth story has got so far?

:p
  • Options
    Stocky said:

It will change could tighten to 1.25 or lengthen to 1.5 methinks is the range.
  • Options
    If you're prepared to be a decent human being and converse with me nicely then you'll have respect, be it Tory, Lib Dem, Labour, whoever.

If you're going to act like a twat, I'm going to call you out for it. Deal with it.
  • Options
    speybay said:

speybay said:

Why don't you fuck off?
    I rather hope you might.

So dull.
    Tories looking to close down opinions that don't fit their twisted ideals I see.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2019

Why? What business is it of theirs? The only people whose opinion matters is Mike, Robert and (possibly) TSE. In fact, historically, posters telling others to "F*** off" usually get a ban themselves.
  • Options
    @CorrectHorseBattery i'd be real careful about using that kind of language.
  • Options
    Floater said:

LOL - so ok if target a tory?

Yes....... and if Lab, LD, SNP or whatever.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Floater said:

Like the man says

Incendiary

Guido lie or Daily Mail lie?
    It's a recording iirc.
  • Options
    Leaflet count: one each from Labour and Conservatives through the post. Both candidates were schooled locally, and probably privately since the schools are coyly not named. Maybe they were classmates.

Both the red and blue candidates detail their local priorities: crime, broadband, children and "our" NHS on the one hand; homes, "our" NHS, crime and children on the other.

It is lucky the leaflets come in different colours or you could hardly tell them apart.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

Can anyone tell me how many views the Ashworth story has got so far?

:p

It's one of those existential questions isn't it? How many views does a story get if there's no ramper around to see it?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Meanwhile we all know Theresa May thinks the same about Boris
  • Options
    If I'm not even allowed to call out people for being nasty, trolling or just being downright rude then what's the point? You'll just end up with more of an echo chamber than I am sure you want.

I am happy to apologise for the bad language as I'm sure it's against the rules. But I will not apologise for calling people out and being rude to me and getting away with it repeatedly. I was prepared to let it slide but no longer.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm not going to report him

Just a frustrated trot who has been caught out
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 337
    John Ashworth is basically telling Labour voters to hold their noses and vote Tory for one time only.
  • Options

One showing current seat results vs what YouGov MRP predicted for those seats, and the current result (solid line) + what YouGov predicts for remaining undeclared seats* (dotted line)

*ordered in estimated declaration time

Thank you for doing this. I wouldn’t know where to begin and this looks like by far the most interesting and useful way of following the results.
  • Options
    ‪The Ashworth tape shows two things:‬
    ‪1. Labour knows it will lose.‬
    ‪2. The Tories will pretend to be your friend but will then shit all over you when it suits them. That makes them entirely untrustworthy.‬
    ‪It’s good for voters to know both things.‬
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    malcolmg said:

speybay said:

speybay said:

Why don't you fuck off?
    I rather hope you might.

So dull.
    Tories looking to close down opinions that don't fit their twisted ideals I see.
    Yep.

The misinformation campaign is on a scale about 1000x anything seen before. Mostly, but by no means exclusively, on the Right.

Anyone decent ought to despair at this. We've entered Trump Twilight.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    GE result = inverse of the invective
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It is for sure an irony that it’s the ECJ that acts as the ultimate backdrop against the more manic bits of Corbynism. But that is I guess what democracy means.

My personal view is that as with many policy areas, Blair’s reforms of the judiciary were half cocked / complete. I also wouldn’t say no to a written constitution post Brexit to act as a firmer safe guard but the reality is that should be done with consensus, and there ain’t a lot of that around at the moment.

Best of luck with your betting and enjoy the big night (ho ho ho to one and all). I am sufficiently exposed to UK political risk already without signing up with Shadsy. As ever I look forward to seeing the views of all here as the action unfolds (my first time as a non lurker since Obama 2008).
  • Options

Floater said:

Could not care less either way

You destroyed your own credibility a while back
    Fuck off you cunt
    Do you think that improves your standing among fellow posters?
    People have already made up their minds, I'm either a brainwashed communist trot liar or a Corbyn PR bot.

It doesn't matter anymore, I am simply not prepared to let people be nasty to me and let them get away with it.

I couldn't give a toss what others think about me.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    RobD said:

Though a well-known tory poster did use exactly that language to me, albeit with one * replacing a letter.

It's a sad election this one. Really sad.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    It's all getting a bit Guido Fawkes comment section on here. Can the administrators step in and do some cleaning up, please? A bit like the broken windows theory, things can quickly deteriorate.

On the Ashworth thing, I think that's more of a bubble story, won't have any cut-through.
  • Options

‪The Ashworth tape shows two things:‬
    ‪1. Labour knows it will lose.‬
    ‪2. The Tories will pretend to be your friend but will then shit all over you when it suits them. That makes them entirely untrustworthy.‬
    ‪It’s good for voters to know both things.‬

Lets not pretend that other parties will not use people and spit them out

Do I really need to bring up the last Labour government?
  • Options
    andy3664 said:

Ashworth story shows you should never trust a Tory.

Is there anyone on the planet who did not already know that.
  • Options

One showing current seat results vs what YouGov MRP predicted for those seats, and the current result (solid line) + what YouGov predicts for remaining undeclared seats* (dotted line)

*ordered in estimated declaration time

Thank you for doing this. I wouldn’t know where to begin and this looks like by far the most interesting and useful way of following the results.
    Indeed.

We are very fortunate to have you.
  • Options

If I'm not even allowed to call out people for being nasty, trolling or just being downright rude then what's the point? You'll just end up with more of an echo chamber than I am sure you want.

I am happy to apologise for the bad language as I'm sure it's against the rules. But I will not apologise for calling people out and being rude to me and getting away with it repeatedly. I was prepared to let it slide but no longer.

Good on you, take mince from no one.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

That’s half what I want (not good enough, Mr Urquhart!), as the model doesn’t react to the results. :p
    To be fair, as ever with stats and science, this will be just as interesting and useful (maybe more so) if the MRP is off because we might be able to spot something systemic and act accordingly.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

malcolmg said:

speybay said:

speybay said:

Why don't you fuck off?
    I rather hope you might.

So dull.
    Yep.

The misinformation campaign is on a scale about 1000x anything seen before. Mostly, but by no means exclusively, on the Right.

Anyone decent ought to despair at this. We've entered Trump Twilight.
    How many hours are there to save the NHS this time?
This discussion has been closed.