Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At exactly this stage before GE2017 punters rated TMay’s major

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:

@CorrectHorseBattery i'd be real careful about using that kind of language.

Though a well-known tory poster did use exactly that language to me, albeit with one * replacing a letter.

It's a sad election this one. Really sad.
    There's no need to swear at other people on here, I don't understand why people do it. I know that one word is particularly frowned upon, and I can't see the asterisk making it much better!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    malcolmg said:

andy3664 said:

Ashworth story shows you should never trust a Tory.

Is there anyone on the planet who did not already know that.
    Carrie Symonds?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    RobD said:

I am sure many are disappointed that I will stay around post the election

It’ll be far less heated, certainly. PB is dead after elections.
    We've a few other bits n' pieces. If there's no majority it'll remain heated. If there's a slim one, it will also be lively. If there's a big blue win then we'll be on to Labour's infight. And then there's the 'oven-ready Brexit' which we know will take at least a decade.

And the small matter of Trump impeachment and a US election.

What worries me is that this is like a fly in a Trumpet Pitcher plant: each fresh shove forces it deeper in another notch, with no return.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I think the main effect of the Ashworth recording is that it will give the Labour Left a ready made excuse as to why the election was lost.

As an own goal, it is akin to Byrne's "There is no more money left".
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    Does that tweet make sense to anybody?
    Please translate if you understand it.
  • Options
    OT with all this medical talk, Sotheby's are knocking out a picture of some nurses in an online auction this afternoon.

Study for one of the Middlesex Hospital's Acts of Mercy murals, and originally donated to the "blinded soldiers/ & sailors Bazaar week. May 1917"

I'd have thought the £4-6,000 estimate a bit low given how many quacks must have trained at the Middlesex over the years but I'm no expert.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2019/victorian-pre-raphaelite-british-impressionist-art/frederick-cayley-robinson-a-r-a-r-w-s-study-for
  • Options

Leaflet count: one each from Labour and Conservatives through the post. Both candidates were schooled locally, and probably privately since the schools are coyly not named. Maybe they were classmates.

Both the red and blue candidates detail their local priorities: crime, broadband, children and "our" NHS on the one hand; homes, "our" NHS, crime and children on the other.

It is lucky the leaflets come in different colours or you could hardly tell them apart.

I rather like the MRLP policy that they should all be printed on soft paper to allow for appropriate recycling.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

This looks pretty bloody serious to me.

Australia and Canada seem to be feeling the effects of climate change far worse than we do, or even NZ.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50722650

The most dramatic temperature changes have been in the Arctic.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/climate-environment/climate-change-world/

To illustrate the point, Siberia's fastest growth industry over the last couple of years has been the export to China of mammoth ivory - which had been buried under permafrost for tens of thousands of years.
    It’s a 100 year project (credibly) to turn it around.

I just don’t see it as being credible the West can “stop” before 2050-2060 and probably 2080-2090 for the developing world. Anything more aggressive (which won’t happen) and we’d be facing societal collapse and insurrection, and probably even more deaths.

Therefore, we are going to have to take an awful lot of nasty shit on the chin, and mitigate it.
    I don't know if it's been reported here, but on Sunday the Uk generated over 40% of its electricity from wind.
    Looking both online and out of doors, the figure might rise to 60% in the next few days, both literally and metaphorically.
  • Options

I think the main effect of the Ashworth recording is that it will give the Labour Left a ready made excuse as to why the election was lost.

As an own goal, it is akin to Byrne's "There is no more money left".

Misplaced 'humour' often has unfortunate consequences.
  • Options

It's all getting a bit Guido Fawkes comment section on here. Can the administrators step in and do some cleaning up, please? A bit like the broken windows theory, things can quickly deteriorate.

On the Ashworth thing, I think that's more of a bubble story, won't have any cut-through.

It is on the BBC and is not a good look. If this spreads across the media it is bad news for labour
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

its missing an r in one word, otherwise fine.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So you know better than the BBC, Times, Guardian etc?

John - you are not one to talk about fake news as you are so happy to spread it.

• Options

malcolmg said:

speybay said:

speybay said:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1204344720702541825

Bloody hell, this is naive to the extreme. Although would be interesting to hear what the Tory MP said - I notice that hasn't been released, probably because it's just as bad about Johnson.

Do you have a day job? Seriously!

It would be good to hear someone else's view occasionally rather than your relentless astro-turfing..
    Why don't you fuck off?
    I rather hope you might.

So dull.
    Tories looking to close down opinions that don't fit their twisted ideals I see.
    Yep.

The misinformation campaign is on a scale about 1000x anything seen before. Mostly, but by no means exclusively, on the Right.

Anyone decent ought to despair at this. We've entered Trump Twilight.
    It may have been on here, or elsewhere, but it made me think when someone pointed out that in two or three elections time we could get ultra-convincing fake video and audio. We need to rethink election law and we need to do it quickly.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited December 2019
    Xtrain said:

Labour won't have their Shadow Health Minister (to spread Labour lies :wink: ) discussing the NHS anymore as he'll be confronted about his comments.
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

They are going to "bench" the shadow Health Secretary right as NHS is a major issue.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2019
    Xtrain said:

He's using "bench" as a verb, not a noun (as in Labour will have to relegate the Shadow Health Sec to the bench).

Agree that it's not super clear. HTH
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited December 2019
    "Nevertheless, the remarks are out there and they are damning.

Here you have the man who is meant to be fronting Labour’s attack on the NHS basically saying they haven’t a hope of winning, that voters believe they blocked Brexit and they don’t like Jeremy Corbyn.

And, perhaps most damning of all, seeming to suggest that Mr Corbyn is a risk to national security.

So this is absolutely going to dominate the headlines today.

Events dear boy, events..".

BBC Assistant Political Editor
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2019

Anyone decent ought to despair at this. We've entered Trump Twilight.

I just assume that any politics I see on social media are outright lies and I have completely ignored the debates and politics programmes because the even the "randomly selected audience" seems to be packed with activists and partisans.

So I used the old principle of "I hate them all. Which one do I dislike the least" and voted LD. It is a wasted vote in my constituency, but at least I voted.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    Xtrain said:

I'm unaware of a verb "to bench".
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019

On the Ashworth thing, I think that's more of a bubble story, won't have any cut-through.

Yes mostly, but I think the Tories will be happy that the media will be talking about other things than that photo incident.

Fwiw I also wouldn't take much from Ashworth saying Labour is screwed in this election, again we had this from the "moderates" last time. They will see what they want to see.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Endillion said:

Xtrain said:

He's using "bench" as a verb, not a noun (as in Labour will have to relegate the Shadow Health Sec to the bench).

Agree that it's not super clear. HTH
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

Labour is going on the NHS
    John Ashworth is Shadow Secretary of State for Health & Social Care

Do you think Labour want John Ashworth doing interviews?

If they do - what questions do you think he'll be asked?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Could not care less either way

You destroyed your own credibility a while back
    Fuck off you cunt
    LOL - love and hugs swampy
    Oh dear - another day, another bad-tempered exchange on PB. Let's stay civil even if some PB Tories are absolute *^%$£"^%s and should be subject to cruel and unusual punishment.

The Ashworth private admission of the obvious now makes it safe for Lib.Dems in all Con-LD marginals to vote for their 1st. preference. No JC4PM, just a badly-hung parliament and possibly talk of some move to electoral reform.
  • Options
    We love you, Jon Ashworth! :love:
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    "On an annual basis, the economy only grew by 0.7% over the last year – the weakest since March 2012, the ONS says."

Interesting that the 2010-2013 period was exactly the last time the Tory government was as heavily ideologically based in its decisions as now.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited December 2019

@CorrectHorseBattery - just calm down. Post on politics and betting. If you think you are being baited, ignore it.
  • Options
    Floater said:

RobD said:

@CorrectHorseBattery i'd be real careful about using that kind of language.

I'm not going to report him

Just a frustrated trot who has been caught out
    Didn't Stalin have Trotsky asassinated?

Throughout the Spanish Civil War, the Communists used every excuse to brand their less left-wing allies as "Trotskyite-Fascists".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

American football term, I think. To take a player from the field and replace (him) with someone with the substitutes bench. However, not, as in Association football, to remove permanently.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

ie putting a player on the bench.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

It may not be great English but it's now used as a verb very widely.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

It sounds like an Americanism even if it isn't.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

FYI for those interested in my live data scraping for the big night. In addition to spreadsheet, I intend to have the following two charts be live updated...

One showing current seat results vs what YouGov MRP predicted for those seats, and the current result (solid line) + what YouGov predicts for remaining undeclared seats* (dotted line)

*ordered in estimated declaration time

Hopefully, we should see quite quickly how well YouGov MRP is doing this time and what that means for the final result.

Thank you for doing this. I wouldn’t know where to begin and this looks like by far the most interesting and useful way of following the results.
    interesting it looks like Cons first to 50 seats. I was going to price up something like race to X? and I wouldnt have had them overtaking labour until about 120.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

The English language is there to serve writers, not the other way around. Whilst there can be unacceptable grammatical howlers, we should leave pretentious fussiness to Jacob Rees-Mogg.

After all, Shakespeare made up around 400 new words.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Floater said:

Fuck off you cunt
    Do you think that improves your standing among fellow posters?
    People have already made up their minds, I'm either a brainwashed communist trot liar or a Corbyn PR bot.

It doesn't matter anymore, I am simply not prepared to let people be nasty to me and let them get away with it.

I couldn't give a toss what others think about me.
    Morning CHB

First off, don't change a thing. As I have said previously, we need plenty of different voices on here. Give it your best shot and I'm sure people will give it theirs in return. Secondly, tell anyone you want to to fuck off. The mods decide if and when we overstep the mark and sometimes one is only left with profanities to make a point so go for it - don't accept any of our self-appointed PB Police to say anything otherwise.

And lastly, hold it together. Profanities work as a rhetorical device, imo, in moderation and when they are the exception. Not if they become the norm. Plus you irritate more, if that's your aim, by being calm rather than effing and jeffing all over the place. I think the C word is banned because it has not yet passed into the vernacular and Mike would like everyone dropping into the blog and many do so especially around now.

Other than that - enjoy! I would be v upset if you became the latest in a series of passionate lefties on here to fall foul of the ban hammer.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Yes mostly, but I think the Tories will be happy that the media will be talking about other things than that photo incident.

Fwiw also I wouldn't take much from Ashworth saying Labour is screwed in this election, again we had this from the "moderates" last time. They will see what they want to see.
    I wonder how things are coming along in the parallel universe where the moderate wing broke away from Labour and took rafts of councillors and members with them?
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

We love you, Jon Ashworth! :love:

And you thought Boris had a bad day yesterday.......
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

Much like “to medal”. Although that does continue to make my skin crawl.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

It sounds like an Americanism even if it isn't.
    I’ve just looked and that meaning appears to be accepted in dictionaries (albeit the lower grade, online sort - my OED is 25 years old so I’m sure it won’t be in there). Yuck.
  • Options
    The LDs, SNP, PC, Greens are probably the winners from this Guido episode. It makes both main parties look bad, for different reasons.
  • Options
    There are loads of Greg Bakers on twitter. Do we know which one is him.
  • Options
    I feel slightly sorry for Ashworth.
  • Options

FYI for those interested in my live data scraping for the big night. In addition to spreadsheet, I intend to have the following two charts be live updated...

One showing current seat results vs what YouGov MRP predicted for those seats, and the current result (solid line) + what YouGov predicts for remaining undeclared seats* (dotted line)

Hopefully, we should see quite quickly how well YouGov MRP is doing this time and what that means for the final result.

Thank you for doing this. I wouldn’t know where to begin and this looks like by far the most interesting and useful way of following the results.
    interesting it looks like Cons first to 50 seats. I was going to price up something like race to X? and I wouldnt have had them overtaking labour until about 120.
    I’d be careful on that one. Remember they are approximate declaration times and if the parties are winning stuff narrowly, we might get recounts.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Now David Gauke is taking the piss out of Boris's Brexit Actually video - https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1204348269322809344?s=20
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Ok, so as requested now have should also be able to produce the following live chart, which shows declared results + YouGoV MRP of undeclared, to give predicted overall result.

Bloody hoping YouGov MRP isn't a shit show, otherwise all this work will be for nought.

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

The English language is there to serve writers, not the other way around. Whilst there can be unacceptable grammatical howlers, we should leave pretentious fussiness to Jacob Rees-Mogg.

He didn't. The words are first in printed form in his works, he picked them up from colloquial use.
  • Options

I don't at all. Note that Corbyn is insisting on politicizing the 4-year old today when even the Guadian is reporting that "his mother has asked politicians not to use her son’s treatment to make arguments about the NHS in the final few days of general election campaigning."

No holds should be barred in taking Corbyn and his cadre down - reporting the fact that his own Shadow Cabinet colleagues think he's a disaster and a risk to national security is absolute fair play.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Xtrain said:

Has Jacob Rees-Mogg been seen campaigning recently or has he too been benched?
  • Options

Ok, so as requested now have should also be able to produce the following live chart, which shows declared results + YouGoV MRP of undeclared, to give predicted overall result.

Might need a log scale to see the LD total

:p
  • Options

I’d be careful on that one. Remember they are approximate declaration times and if the parties are winning stuff narrowly, we might get recounts.
    Apropos of recounts it would be interesting to known who has asked for them. Clearly if Candidate A is 5 votes ahead of B A's agent is not going to ask for one, but B's is.
    Thus if we learn Boris' agent has asked for a recount the brown stuff really has it the fan!
  • Options
    No morning counts this time? All straight away
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    malcolmg said:

98% chance of rain. 63 mph winds. This is going to be a fun canvass session..... 😒

100% here
    Coming across Fife was genuinely hairy this morning. I was enormously impressed by the baffles on the new bridge which were still allowing high sided vehicles to cross, albeit somewhat slowly. I suspect that the old bridge might have been completely shut today.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

I don't at all. Note that Corbyn is insisting on politicizing the 4-year old today when even the Guadian is reporting that "his mother has asked politicians not to use her son’s treatment to make arguments about the NHS in the final few days of general election campaigning."

No holds should be barred in taking Corbyn and his cadre down - reporting the fact that his own Shadow Cabinet colleagues think he's a disaster and a risk to national security is absolute fair play.
    What did she think would happen when she went to the press with it three days before an election?
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin

Do you support or oppose a second referendum on British membership of the European Union?"

Oppose 47%
    Support 41%
    Don't know 12%

Deltapoll 5-7 Dec
    #GE2019
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Cyclefree said:

Now David Gauke is taking the piss out of Boris's Brexit Actually video - https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1204348269322809344?s=20

I think Boris's video was possibly one of the most excruciating things I have seen in politics- up there with the Edstone and Kinnocks Sheffield rally

What possesses the spinmasters to try out these trite, stupid things?
  • Options

No morning counts this time? All straight away

This is a couple of ones in Cornwall that are not due until 10am I think. In last YouGov MRP they didn't include them for some weird reason.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196
    TOPPING said:

Floater said:

Fuck off you cunt
    Do you think that improves your standing among fellow posters?
    People have already made up their minds, I'm either a brainwashed communist trot liar or a Corbyn PR bot.

It doesn't matter anymore, I am simply not prepared to let people be nasty to me and let them get away with it.

I couldn't give a toss what others think about me.
    Morning CHB

First off, don't change a thing. As I have said previously, we need plenty of different voices on here. Give it your best shot and I'm sure people will give it theirs in return. Secondly, tell anyone you want to to fuck off. The mods decide if and when we overstep the mark and sometimes one is only left with profanities to make a point so go for it - don't accept any of our self-appointed PB Police to say anything otherwise.

And lastly, hold it together. Profanities work as a rhetorical device, imo, in moderation and when they are the exception. Not if they become the norm. Plus you irritate more, if that's your aim, by being calm rather than effing and jeffing all over the place. I think the C word is banned because it has not yet passed into the vernacular and Mike would like everyone dropping into the blog and many do so especially around now.

Other than that - enjoy! I would be v upset if you became the latest in a series of passionate lefties on here to fall foul of the ban hammer.
    The c word is unacceptable. Although understandable after being ganged up against by a number of the less pleasant PB Tory bullies on here.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

I disagree here. It is awful for the parents but to bring the NHS into focus Lab have every right to politicise it. It (the NHS) has formed the basis of their whole campaign and here they have a human face to put to their campaign. They would be crazy, and wrong imo, not to use it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Cyclefree said:

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I doubt that Gauke has thought this through.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Anecdotal - The 4 year old kid story has been noted by my (Tory this time round) office and called staged/fake news. No prompting by myself.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Matthew Goodwin

Do you support or oppose a second referendum on British membership of the European Union?"

Oppose 47%
    Support 41%
    Don't know 12%

Deltapoll 5-7 Dec
    #GE2019

It’s hard to reconcile that 41% with the Lib Dem’s polling in the low teens. Disastrous campaign.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

He looks a bit lonely?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Might need a log scale to see the LD total

:p
    The SLD Unicycle will be coming out again
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    BluerBlue said:

Are you really saying the ends justify the means?

The Tory party has been driven mad by Brexit and Corbyn. Once you start justifying misleading the Queen, I fear there is no line they will not cross.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

David Gauke won't get elected actually.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The LDs, SNP, PC, Greens are probably the winners from this Guido episode. It makes both main parties look bad, for different reasons.

The only way to win the game is not to play
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal - The 4 year old kid story has been noted by my (Tory this time round) office and called staged/fake news. No prompting by myself.

I did state yesterday that sometimes in the past "gotchas" have backfired. Famously, Gordo poorly written leader to the mother of the dead solider, Cameron when the Lib Dem activist with the disabled kid unloaded on him and I think even Corbyn gets some sympathy when the media really "doorstep" him.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

I think Boris's video was possibly one of the most excruciating things I have seen in politics- up there with the Edstone and Kinnocks Sheffield rally

I disagree - I thought it was very good, actually. My wife agreed, and my kids, and it seems to have landed well.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

BluerBlue said:

I disagree here. It is awful for the parents but to bring the NHS into focus Lab have every right to politicise it. It (the NHS) has formed the basis of their whole campaign and here they have a human face to put to their campaign. They would be crazy, and wrong imo, not to use it.
    Of course they're going to push their best (almost their only!) political angle.

But what were those rancid hypocrites in the Shadow Cabinet saying about Boris' comments after the terror attack in London?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

It's so evidently a wind up on the phone call, I can't believe anyone actually thinks Ashworth is being serious, he literally laughs on the phone.

And why hide the voice of the person he was talking to?

If that is the case, why are you so rattled?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The only way to win the game is not to play
    "Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?"
  • Options
    The best way of trolling Hugh Grant would be for Martine McCutcheon to come out for Boris.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Just watched that Ashworth interview. A complete car crash!

The best thing is saying "he's a friend, I spent 3 weeks with him...15 years ago".

He then gets him name wrong and calls him Greig Barker! God knows who else Jonathan Ashworth has been telling his true views too.
  • Options
    That Ashworth was friends with a Tory will be enough to ruin him with Momentum types.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

This is why Labour ought to have spent years attacking the extensive defence cuts made by the Conservative government. Too late now.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I doubt that Gauke has thought this through.
    Gauke should look at Betfair website - he can get cracking odds if he thinks that we won`t have left EU by 1st Feb.
  • Options
    Jason said:

It's so evidently a wind up on the phone call, I can't believe anyone actually thinks Ashworth is being serious, he literally laughs on the phone.

And why hide the voice of the person he was talking to?

If that is the case, why are you so rattled?
    "And he said party MPs 'f***ed it up' in 2016 in their attempt to remove the Labour leader, saying they 'went too early'. "

Oh the LOLZ
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited December 2019
    So yesterday was a bad day for the Tories and today Ashworth from Labour is an idiot and making up some excuse about banter .

Politicians stupidity never ceases to amaze me .
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

TOPPING said:

BluerBlue said:

Of course they're going to push their best (almost their only!) political angle.

But what were those rancid hypocrites in the Shadow Cabinet saying about Boris' comments after the terror attack in London?
    Oh yes plenty of hypocrites - where would politics be without them. But the campaign is the campaign.
  • Options
    What time is the Yougov MRP due?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196
    Andy_JS said:

I think it will make little difference. We have all been under that impression of Corbyn for decades. That is why Tories spent £3 to vote him in as leader.

Any vote for Corbyn is because we assume Corbyn cannot become PM, and certainly not without checks and balances from other parties. Besides which, some of us see Johnson equally as dangerous as Corbyn, but for different reasons. And Johnson really can get a sizeable majority in his own right.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Xtrain said:

That Ashworth was friends with a Tory will be enough to ruin him with Momentum types.

The problem is when your opponents start bugging/recording you, they make Momentum’s arguments for them.
  • Options
    Ashworth has gone AWOL from a 5 live interview
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Corbyn will resign regardless of how many seats he wins. That much is obvious.

But right away or on a schedule?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

What time is the Yougov MRP due?

my sentiments exactly
  • Options

Xtrain said:

https://twitter.com/MediaGuido/status/1204364982927921153?s=20
  • Options
    tyson said:

Cyclefree said:

They are being "clever". Having said that, it seems to have appealed to the die-hard Tory audience and will have stopped them voting for Corbyn.
  • Options
    So Baron Greg Barker of Battle, Tory peer, has betrayed his friend Jonathan Ashworth. What was meant to be banter between mates has been leaked to the Guido Fawkes site.

Ashworth has given his honest opinion of the state of play as he sees it but that doesn't mean that all Labour MPs think in the same way. It is no secret that Brexit has complicated voting patterns all over the country. It is also no secret that some Labour MPs think that the party would gain votes with a new leader.

A good letter in one of our daily papers today says that Labour voters 'Lending their votes to Boris' is like giving your car keys to a drunk and hoping you will get the car back in one piece.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Xtrain said:

The problem is when your opponents start bugging/recording you, they make Momentum’s arguments for them.
    I agree.
    I wouldn't want him as a friend.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This campaign has done nothing to alter the view of those that know him best, Boris is unfit to be Prime Minister.

If you believe that social media has any impact - which it obviously does - then that video of Johnson yesterday which has now 9.1M views and still climbing, might have impact in the final days, with those undecided Labour voters. Their fears about the NHS verified, that Johnson doesn’t give a toss.
    Johnson is the worst kind of bully. Superficially charming, but entitled and arrogant. He uses people, lashes out and even acts unlawfully when things don't go well for him. It's all ok as far as he is concerned, because he is Boris. That alone is justification for him.

We saw another glimpse of that yesterday. He should not be let near number 10, let alone with a majority.

I wonder if yesterday came in time to do some damage. Boris did NOT look good.
    Conversely, in the opinion of self & wife, Corbyn came across well on BBBC this morning. Civilised, calm. Bit like Major really.
    Corbyn is superficially reasonable with his calm, dignified manner.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

BluerBlue said:

TOPPING said:

BluerBlue said:

Oh yes plenty of hypocrites - where would politics be without them. But the campaign is the campaign.
    So if a reporter had shoved a phone in Corbyn's face with an emotive photo of one of the attack victims and then blamed him for it, would that have been an acceptable piece of "journalism" or activism?

I just can't get over the gutter depths that "reporter" sank to yesterday.
  • Options

Xtrain said:

https://twitter.com/MediaGuido/status/1204364982927921153?s=20
    The irony that labour's last push on the NHS has been sabotaged by their own spokesperson who has gone into hiding
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Not sure if the response I saw to my post on the Isle of Wight was here or elsewhere, but it's Bristol West and the Isle of Wight that the Greens are hopeful for. They could get one of them.
  • Options

So Baron Greg Barker of Battle, Tory peer, has betrayed his friend Jonathan Ashworth. What was meant to be banter between mates has been leaked to the Guido Fawkes site.

Ashworth has given his honest opinion of the state of play as he sees it but that doesn't mean that all Labour MPs think in the same way. It is no secret that Brexit has complicated voting patterns all over the country. It is also no secret that some Labour MPs think that the party would gain votes with a new leader.

A good letter in one of our daily papers today says that Labour voters 'Lending their votes to Boris' is like giving your car keys to a drunk and hoping you will get the car back in one piece.

You gloss over the fact Ashworth states Corbyn could be a risk to national security that the civil service will have to take steps to deal with. Unsurprisingly
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Thing is, if this is what John Ashworth truly believes then well done him for saying so (shame more in the PLP refuse to do so)

Now he should have the courage of his convictions and resign from Jezza's shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

In 72 hours we will be post GE 2019 for better or worse

But to be honest it cannot be any worse than we have seen upto polling day

Want to bet?

A little assessment of where we're at, as a country: on Sunday I had lunch with a friend. She grew up in Tito's Yugoslavia, and lived in the UK for several years in her 20s. Her daughter came to study at a university in Liverpool, so she has been over a few times recently. Her view of the UK media is that it is much, much worse in terms of bias and falsehood than she ever experienced in the Communist dictatorship of her youth. She was also dismayed by Liverpool, describing it as an absolutely abysmal place to live. And the daughter (who has family in North Wales) found her British fellow students to be a bunch of vacuous drunks, and quickly fell ill such was the paucity of the food available at the university and in local shops. She is now in the Netherlands, and much happier.

Sometimes an outside eye is helpful.

But politics in the UK takes place in such a bubble. There are so many issues here that other European countries handle better, but we seem incapable of learning from them. Arrogance, corruption, dark money and media bias hold us back.

Chances of a Johnson regime doing anything to address this? Zero, zero, zero.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Not sure if the response I saw to my post on the Isle of Wight was here or elsewhere, but it's Bristol West and the Isle of Wight that the Greens are hopeful for. They could get one of them.

It won't be the Isle of Wight thats for sure.
This discussion has been closed.