Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson’s successor may have only become an MP yesterday

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    EPG said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

The thing about comparing the UK and American politics is this. The U.K is whiter and older than America. Therefore our constituents system is vulnerable to a nationalist more than the American electoral college!

Well, yes. Identity politics may work in the US but GB is far more homogeneous than US[1] and a political stance that deprecates white males has a pretty hard upper bound here.

[1] This is not to say that UK doesn't have racism: it does, but the different histories and ethnic mixes make it different.

Identity politics worked just exceedingly well in the UK. Millions of people expressing their hate of rootless cosmopolitans, who support the party of the expatriate New York-born part-Turkish millionaire. Lots of people support Boris Johnson because they hate immigrants / "immigration" and like voting for a guy who propagates images of "piccaninnies" and Muslim women dressed as postboxes.
    That post was so much better (relatively speaking) before that unnecessary edit about piccaninnies etc.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but your prime minister does whip up disdain of the weak to empower the strong, so if you are going to criticise criticism of it, then own it. Tell us how funny is is to banter about "bumboys" or how Muslim women looking like postboxes is accurate and necessary.
    Yes, I'm sure the vast majority of voters voted precisely for the reasons you described.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

It's been little remarked upon, but Labour ultimately fared rather better than the exit poll had predicted, in fact 12 seats better, compared with the Tories, who did 3 seats worse. I believe this resulted, whisper it quietly, from a handful of disappointing results in the West Midlands, which failed to deliver much for the Blue Team.
    In addition there was the odd isolated stonking good result for Labour, an example being Jon Cruddas' Dagenham & Rainham, he really must be an oustandingly good MP to emerge unscathed yet again.

Labour just held onto two seats in Coventry with tiny majorities, and also unexpectedly held Warwick & Leamington.
    Student votes as in Canterbury.

Other seats which were Conservative in 2015 and Labour in 2019:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

Posho Remainers, demographic change, students and Greater Scouseland.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited December 2019
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Let's work out who these 22 MPs are then

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    That’s one third of the way without any trouble at all.
    So who are the next lot?
    Butler
    Webbe
    Carden
    Ali
    Huq
    Osamor
    Siddiq
    Er, Hodge, maybe?
    Plus Sam Tarry + Zarah Sultana. There's easily enough to get a left wing MP on the ballot.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

It's been little remarked upon, but Labour ultimately fared rather better than the exit poll had predicted, in fact 12 seats better, compared with the Tories, who did 3 seats worse. I believe this resulted, whisper it quietly, from a handful of disappointing results in the West Midlands, which failed to deliver much for the Blue Team.
    In addition there was the odd isolated stonking good result for Labour, an example being Jon Cruddas' Dagenham & Rainham, he really must be an oustandingly good MP to emerge unscathed yet again.

Labour just held onto two seats in Coventry with tiny majorities, and also unexpectedly held Warwick & Leamington.
    Two universities. Although W&L clearly was a sterling effort despite that.
    The polls were showing only a small swing to the tories in the west Midlands. Looks like that's what happened. Not sure why though
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    RobD said:

EPG said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

The thing about comparing the UK and American politics is this. The U.K is whiter and older than America. Therefore our constituents system is vulnerable to a nationalist more than the American electoral college!

Well, yes. Identity politics may work in the US but GB is far more homogeneous than US[1] and a political stance that deprecates white males has a pretty hard upper bound here.

[1] This is not to say that UK doesn't have racism: it does, but the different histories and ethnic mixes make it different.

Identity politics worked just exceedingly well in the UK. Millions of people expressing their hate of rootless cosmopolitans, who support the party of the expatriate New York-born part-Turkish millionaire. Lots of people support Boris Johnson because they hate immigrants / "immigration" and like voting for a guy who propagates images of "piccaninnies" and Muslim women dressed as postboxes.
    That post was so much better (relatively speaking) before that unnecessary edit about piccaninnies etc.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but your prime minister does whip up disdain of the weak to empower the strong, so if you are going to criticise criticism of it, then own it. Tell us how funny is is to banter about "bumboys" or how Muslim women looking like postboxes is accurate and necessary.
    Yes, I'm sure the vast majority of voters voted precisely for the reasons you described.
    Hope you never observed that people voting for Labour were voting for an anti-Semite.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Chester
    Weaver Vale

Chester has a university as well, don’t forget.
  • Options

ClippP said:

AnneJGP said:

ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

Do the Lib Dems need to rush to appoint a new leader?
    Let Ed Davey and Baroness Sal Brinton run as interim leaders until after the next local elections and then have a proper leadership contest in advance of the next party conference.
    The Lib Dems aren't going to be the centre of attention for a while, so they have the luxury of time to see how Johnson intends to govern and in what direction Labour decides to run in. It also gives the new MPs a chance to make an impression, both amongst MPs and through media appearances.

That’s a much more sensible suggestion than a leader from outside Parliament. Leaving aside the fact the Party’s constitution would need changing, it would emphasise how marginalised they have become.
    Seems to me the LDs have marginalised themselves. In what world does having real experience of government office come to be a negative, disqualifying factor?
    Before Remain/Revoke/Rejoin pushed everything else out, the LDs USP was PR. PR means coalition government, does it not?
    Are the LDs still keen on PR? They should be, since their vote is much higher than the seats they can gain under FPTP.
    So their rejection of the one Coalition they did join renders them pointless, in my view.
    The real problem with the Coalition was that Clegg was so keen to prove to the world that coalition government could work, that he sacrificed everything to this objective. The result was that Lib Dem spokesmen were given the task of announcing all the bad news, and the Tories took all the credit at the end of the day for the good, sensible policies that the Lib Dems pushed through - even against Tory opposition!

The Tories were ruthless and untrustworthy. And so were Labour - even campaigning against the Coalition on policies which had been in their own manifesto.

All is not lost. If I have placed AnneJGP correctly, the Lib Dems were second in this election in her constituency, and she has a good Lib Dem run council.
    "The result was that Lib Dem spokesmen were given the task of announcing all the bad news, and the Tories took all the credit at the end of the day for the good, sensible policies that the Lib Dems pushed through - even against Tory opposition!"

Bleat bleat bleat bleat bleat......
    Since the coalition days I've never trusted the tories. They are duplicitous bastards who will sell their own grannies down the river. I even heard one during the campaign taunting the libdems over tuition fees, when it was supposed to be their government policy anyway!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    She's talking a lot of sense here. A stitch up would be a disaster.
    Don't know much about her but I hope she runs (she's also my best betting result that's realistic).
  • Options
    EPG said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

Hope you never observed that people voting for Labour were voting for an anti-Semite.
    I actually never did. I wouldn't be surprised if the myopic focus of the left on these issues cost them more votes than it gained them. People care about their livelihood, services, etc, not what was said twenty or so years ago that has been blown all out of proportion.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
    Butler
    Webbe
    Carden
    Ali
    Huq
    Osamor
    Siddiq
    Er, Hodge, maybe?
    Are there two Hodge's? Not Margaret, surely?
    Hodge was of course the person who effectively got Corbyn his seat in Islington in ‘83 because he was ideologically sound.

I wonder if she now regrets this...
    Yes, this was the joke*.

Am I being overly cynical by thinking that the strategy for this election was to lose as many moderate MPs as possible, thus simultaneously a) ensuring Brexit, followed by the loss of all Labour MEPs and b) reducing the nominations threshold for the next leader?

Cummings was playing chess. Milne was trying to lose all of his pawns, and get all his pieces to the left hand side of the board.

Edit: I actually didn't know she got him his seat in 1983. The joke was that she followed that up by nominating him in 2015 to "broaden the debate".
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited December 2019

So in 2024, Labour need to make about 60 gains in order to make any decent progress.

That requires a 5.5% swing, has any leader ever achieved such a thing on the Labour side before?

The Con to Lab swing in 1997 was 10%.

60 gains would be enough to make the Tories a minority again though
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,849
    Ave_it said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

We did ok in West Midlands. We never win anything in Birmingham. We gained seats in Wolverhampton and West Bromwich
    You got Birmingham Northfield for the first time since 1987.
    Ave_it is just greedy. For him it's Ladywood or bust.
    I wanted three CON gains in Coventry! And nearly got them!
    Don't Ave It , you did not listen to me................SNP landslide
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,463
    PaulM said:

Burgon and RLB IIRC have to get the support of at least 35 Labour MPs to even get to the membership. After 2015, I don’t see Labour MPs backing candidates that they couldn’t live with as leader of the party.

Depends on what the make-up of the PLP is this time. Must have been a lot more momentum backed candidates. On Merseyside for instance, Ellman, Berger and Field and Twigg are gone from 2017 and replaced by Momentum minded Labour MPs. Similarly Charlotte Nichols replaces Helen Jones in Warrington North. Am less familiar with other areas, but may well be that the PLP has shifted in a Corbynite direction.
    It needs a look into the alleged 30 candidates who had complaints about them.

For example Claudia Webbe (wrote letter to newspaper defending Ken Livingstone on concentration camp guard issue) and the one who was a Lutfur Rahman protege have I think made it in in safe seats.

Obvs Chris Williamson has been defenestrated, which is excellent.
  • Options

So in 2024, Labour need to make about 60 gains in order to make any decent progress.

That requires a 5.5% swing, has any leader ever achieved such a thing on the Labour side before?

Achieved by Blair, Wilson and Attlee
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Watching Johnson do his northern victory tour and it seems they had a plan to target the north, and they have a plan to keep it. The latter is more of a feeling only.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,324
    HaroldO said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

I agree, we do have racism in the UK but it is not in the same way as the US and doesn't have the same history. It's why David Lammy is so sidelined, he tried to apply US style politics to the UK and it just doesn't fly.
    Actually, the UK is startlingly tolerant.

As opposed to France - where there really are areas you shouldn't go and 30% vote for the Really Real Fascists. Or Italy, where the actual fascists get into government coalition's. Or Hungary where state organised veneration of Horthy is becoming a religion. Or Greece where a non trivial percentage of the police in Athens belong to Golden Dawn.

Consider Rotherham. Many first generation immigrants of my acquaintance have expressed astonishment that the law has prevailed so easily. All have commented that it would have been a blood bath in their respective countries. Did you know that the metropolitan elite *assumed* that pogroms were going to happen?

Whining that the EvulYokelScum just want what the Australian trade unions wanted - prevention of the usage of immigration to undermine working class wages - isn't going to make them Nazi's.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff N
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Chester
    Weaver Vale

Chester has a university as well, don’t forget.
    Indeed.

Actually Chester went Labour in 2015 so I was mistaken above.

But if you look at the Labour gains from the Conservatives in 2015:

Brentford
    Chester
    Dewsbury
    Ealing C
    Enfield N
    Ilford N
    Lancaster
    Wirral W
    Wolverhampton SW

Only Dewsbury and Wolverhampton SW were won by the Conservatives in 2019.

With the same pattern of posho remainers, demographic change, students and Greater Scouseland among those still Labour.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    O/T but has there been much discussion yet of the demoralising impact for main opposition parties facing dominant Governments with very few seats. Technically it wasn't a landslide for the Conservatives, but it was certainly a landslide defeat for Labour.

It's absolutely horrible, having to engage in the Commons scrutinising the Government, whilst throughout that the chances of actually winning any votes in Parliament are non-existent. You effectively have to run guerrilla campaigns, and keep spirits up by looking for small victories. It's probably a lot easier if you can have good relations with at least some MPs on the Government benches on a social level.

But is the make-up of the 2019 Labour party going to be up to that? What difference might having more than 50% women make? How many are new MPs? etc etc
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?
    Butler
    Webbe
    Carden
    Ali
    Huq
    Osamor
    Siddiq
    Er, Hodge, maybe?
    Are there two Hodge's? Not Margaret, surely?
    Hodge was of course the person who effectively got Corbyn his seat in Islington in ‘83 because he was ideologically sound.

I wonder if she now regrets this...
    Yes, this was the joke*.

Am I being overly cynical by thinking that the strategy for this election was to lose as many moderate MPs as possible, thus simultaneously a) ensuring Brexit, followed by the loss of all Labour MEPs and b) reducing the nominations threshold for the next leader?

Cummings was playing chess. Milne was trying to lose all of his pawns, and get all his pieces to the left hand side of the board.

Edit: I actually didn't know she got him his seat in 1983. The joke was that she followed that up by nominating him in 2015 to "broaden the debate".
    Quite possibly. In Staffordshire the way Ruth Smeeth and Gareth Snell were hung out to dry in seats Labour could have won was nothing short of disgraceful.

But tbh, it should be noted that Labour have always taken Stoke for granted. Look at the Tristram Hunt debacle.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

1) what happened to the youthquake then?
    2) where's @TheJezziah? Has he/she been banned? (I've not been monitoring this for a while). Seems odd that I haven't seen anything from him/her for a while.

1. It happened, it's just that it was a youth minor tremor. People always overstate the potential effect of the youth vote: the 18-24 age group is a small slice of the electorate and only really crucial in seats that are both marginal and contain HE campuses. The youth vote has been credited with saving Canterbury and two seats in Coventry that were only just held for Labour, and I'm guessing that it may also have done for the Tory challenge in Bedford and in Warwick & Leamington, but I doubt if it made a decisive difference to Labour anywhere else.

2. Probably still in mourning.
    Not been around since the password debacle.
    Really? How much trouble is it to change your password when you've got as many strong views as @TheJezziah?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Having a more detailed look at some seats. We should have taken all three Doncaster seats, didn't squeeze the BP vote hard enough. Would have got Red Ed out as well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

Surely Abbott would be leader?
    Only be prior arrangement, and there has been nun.
    You really need to get out of this habit.
    I haven’t taken a vow of obedience, so I won’t.
    Yes, but there's a real surplice of these puns now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

2) where's @TheJezziah? Has he/she been banned? (I've not been monitoring this for a while). Seems odd that I haven't seen anything from him/her for a while.

1. It happened, it's just that it was a youth minor tremor. People always overstate the potential effect of the youth vote: the 18-24 age group is a small slice of the electorate and only really crucial in seats that are both marginal and contain HE campuses. The youth vote has been credited with saving Canterbury and two seats in Coventry that were only just held for Labour, and I'm guessing that it may also have done for the Tory challenge in Bedford and in Warwick & Leamington, but I doubt if it made a decisive difference to Labour anywhere else.

Really? How much trouble is it to change your password when you've got as many strong views as @TheJezziah?
    Anyway, seems like the youthquake was not of White Island proportions.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

The next election is SO going to be out of term time.......
  • Options

HaroldO said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

I agree, we do have racism in the UK but it is not in the same way as the US and doesn't have the same history. It's why David Lammy is so sidelined, he tried to apply US style politics to the UK and it just doesn't fly.

As opposed to France - where there really are areas you shouldn't go and 30% vote for the Really Real Fascists. Or Italy, where the actual fascists get into government coalition's. Or Hungary where state organised veneration of Horthy is becoming a religion. Or Greece where a non trivial percentage of the police in Athens belong to Golden Dawn.

Consider Rotherham. Many first generation immigrants of my acquaintance have expressed astonishment that the law has prevailed so easily. All have commented that it would have been a blood bath in their respective countries. Did you know that the metropolitan elite *assumed* that pogroms were going to happen?

Whining that the EvulYokelScum just want what the Australian trade unions wanted - prevention of the usage of immigration to undermine working class wages - isn't going to make them Nazi's.
    Being white and middle class I like to not judge us too softly on racism, although I have been a victim but only the once in Poland so it doesn't count that much.
    But yes, we are generally much more tolerant than a lot in Labour give us credit for. I mean looking at some of the twitter posts I can see how divorced they are from the mainstream, posting about white supremacy and imperialism etc etc. Forgetting that the working classes in the UK don't think about these things, they just want solid jobs and stuff to put under the tree at Christmas.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Contract expiration?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Or LAB gained Putney? 😀.

We did ok in West Midlands. We never win anything in Birmingham. We gained seats in Wolverhampton and West Bromwich
    Putney, though I say so myself, must be the worst performing seat for the Tories in the entire land. Having had a Con majority of > 10,000 barely four and a half years ago, it is now in Labour's hands with a staggering majority of almost 5,000 on a turnout of 77%. ... it was in fact the only seat gained by Labour in the entire General Election. Other neighbouring seats, incl Richmond, Twickenham, Wimbledon have become decidedly less blue over recent years, turning towards the LibDems, but Putney, for whatever reason, has gone headlong towards Labour, all rather strange, perhaps related to the fast expanding student population at Roehampton University.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

Term time concentrates the students in a couple of safe seats that swing between Labour and LD / Greens. The same students are likely to register at home in normal swing seats. Outside term time is much better for Labour - the academics are voting Labour for their paycheques / useless ideology anyway!
  • Options
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

Nobody’s managed to stole my crown though.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    Gary Lineker, under fire for being gracious in defeat, has been put in the same bracket of the class system as Boris by the hard left

https://twitter.com/rebootedstef/status/1205456042370457600?s=21
  • Options

The Con to Lab swing in 1997 was 10%.

If Scotland is still around.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    MaxPB said:

Having a more detailed look at some seats. We should have taken all three Doncaster seats, didn't squeeze the BP vote hard enough. Would have got Red Ed out as well.

Greedy! If the Conservatives had done that well then they would've ended up with a three-figure majority and swept Yvette Cooper away to boot.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    HaroldO said:

Watching Johnson do his northern victory tour and it seems they had a plan to target the north, and they have a plan to keep it. The latter is more of a feeling only.

I saw an interview on foreign media with one of the people who wrote the Tory manifesto and I was impressed by how much they have clearly thought about winning the peace, not just the war, the kind of forethought that government desperately needs. We shall see if the strategy and implementation is successful.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

No French National Assembly members were murdered by nationalists, nor did France's leader whip up hatred of Muslims by using one of the many mainstream media owned by his friends. So this is unfair - I don't know about the other countries. I know Canada's leader got away with seriously racist behaviour.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

You are every bit our Superior in this arena.
  • Options
    So by my reckoning these are the seats won by the Conservatives in 2010 but not in 2019:

Battersea
    Brentford
    Croydon C
    Ealing C
    Enfield N
    Enfield Southgate
    Ilford N
    Putney
    Richmond Park

Bedford
    St Albans

Canterbury
    Reading E
    Oxford W

Plymouth Sutton

Warwick

Chester
    Lancaster
    Weaver Vale
    Wirral W

Cardiff N
  • Options
    EPG said:

HaroldO said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

No French National Assembly members were murdered by nationalists, nor did France's leader whip up hatred of Muslims by using one of the many mainstream media owned by his friends. So this is unfair - I don't know about the other countries. I know Canada's leader got away with seriously racist behaviour.
    Are you having a laugh?

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/11/06/nicolas-sarkozys-waterloo-is-his-war-on-islam/

I know you said "using media owned by his friends" but that does seem unnecessarily specific.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    alex_ said:

O/T but has there been much discussion yet of the demoralising impact for main opposition parties facing dominant Governments with very few seats. Technically it wasn't a landslide for the Conservatives, but it was certainly a landslide defeat for Labour.

It's absolutely horrible, having to engage in the Commons scrutinising the Government, whilst throughout that the chances of actually winning any votes in Parliament are non-existent. You effectively have to run guerrilla campaigns, and keep spirits up by looking for small victories. It's probably a lot easier if you can have good relations with at least some MPs on the Government benches on a social level.

But is the make-up of the 2019 Labour party going to be up to that? What difference might having more than 50% women make? How many are new MPs? etc etc

After 1979-97, most said 'never again', hence the Jenkins report on PR. This was later shelved under pressure from the dinosaur wing of Labour.

The main official opposition from 1979-92, i.e. the parliaments with normal to large majorities, was the House of Lords. They'll now be very effective in delaying Tory bills due to the LD/Lab majority. Also ~80% of Lords are pro-EU. The LDs surely won't accept leaving the EU on the basis of 45% of the popular vote.

I expect Johnson to threaten to abolish the HoL at least once before 2024.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

I am abbess t’bet for a pun.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited December 2019
    I’m actually quite sad tonight, having accepted the result of the election and hoping that a new paradigm may be opening up in UK Government so sitting with people and trying to say , let’s give him six months then we can judge him the response is ‘at least he’s not corbyn’ so I respond and say ‘corbyn gone they can’t get near power until 2024, so let’s see what Johnson delivers... well at least it’s not corbyn is the response so I tried well maybe we can get the ex service men of the streets with the new Tory majority government... well at least it’s not corbyn ! Seriously is that all they voted Tory for? Johnson has a unique window to be a reforming pragmatic redistributer framed by controlled free market economic policy, will he take it? We can only give him time
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

She's talking a lot of sense here. A stitch up would be a disaster.
    Don't know much about her but I hope she runs (she's also my best betting result that's realistic).
    The winner will be whoever is the most left-wing. So not her.
  • Options

alex_ said:

After 1979-97, most said 'never again', hence the Jenkins report on PR. This was later shelved under pressure from the dinosaur wing of Labour.

The main official opposition from 1979-92, i.e. the parliaments with normal to large majorities, was the House of Lords. They'll now be very effective in delaying Tory bills due to the LD/Lab majority. Also ~80% of Lords are pro-EU. The LDs surely won't accept leaving the EU on the basis of 45% of the popular vote.

You might have missed the referendum on leaving the EU, where the leave side secure 52%.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

Term time concentrates the students in a couple of safe seats that swing between Labour and LD / Greens. The same students are likely to register at home in normal swing seats. Outside term time is much better for Labour - the academics are voting Labour for their paycheques / useless ideology anyway!
    But the canvassing manpower is dispersed and less effective for Labour when they are all back home in leafy Surrey.....
  • Options
    isam said:

Gary Lineker, under fire for being gracious in defeat, has been put in the same bracket of the class system as Boris by the hard left

https://twitter.com/rebootedstef/status/1205456042370457600?s=21

He should just fuck off and vote Tory.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    nichomar said:

I’m actually quite sad tonight, having accepted the result of the election and hoping that a new paradigm may be opening up in UK Government so sitting with people and trying to say , let’s give him six months then we can judge him the response is ‘at least he’s not corbyn’ so I respond and say ‘corbyn gone they can’t get near power until 2024, so let’s see what Johnson delivers... well at least it’s not corbyn is the response so I tried well maybe we can get the ex service men of the streets with the new Tory majority government... well at least it’s not corbyn ! Seriously is that all they voted Tory for?

I’m intrigued. What other reasons would anyone have had for voting Tory?

Come to that, what more reason would they need?

It was the most horribly negative campaign for an excellent reason.
  • Options
    On safety of seats, the next LibDems is from Bath or Twickenham....

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/defence/liberal-democrat

11 seats. Jeez......
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I’m actually quite sad tonight, having accepted the result of the election and hoping that a new paradigm may be opening up in UK Government so sitting with people and trying to say , let’s give him six months then we can judge him the response is ‘at least he’s not corbyn’ so I respond and say ‘corbyn gone they can’t get near power until 2024, so let’s see what Johnson delivers... well at least it’s not corbyn is the response so I tried well maybe we can get the ex service men of the streets with the new Tory majority government... well at least it’s not corbyn ! Seriously is that all they voted Tory for? Johnson has a unique window to be a reforming pragmatic redistributer framed by controlled free market economic policy, will he take it? We can only give him time

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/1205513403466502144

I believe that Labour will elect Corbyn Mk 2 as the next leader. If Johnson can make a decent fist of governing then he may therefore be able to reduce Labour to a rump next time. We shall see.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

They want change, they don't want Labour change so they have voted Tory but made it clear that this vote depends on them delivering. Seems sensible to me, they want their votes to be bought.
  • Options

alex_ said:

The Lords will not frustrate, they will do their job and scrutinize and amend but they won’t frustrate, the war is over.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,324
    EPG said:

HaroldO said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

"..nor did France's leader whip up hatred of Muslims" - ha ha ha. Have you ever wondered how the errr... "Districts" came about? Is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_massacre_of_1961 news to you? I suggest you ask some French muslims about the relative atmosphere here and there.

Canada - I presume you are referring to Trudeau's black face incident? I suggest you ask some actual Canadians of colour. They will tell you there is a noticeable difference between a stupid costume and, say, being a defender and friend of people who spread the Blood Libel,
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019
    m
    EPG said:

HaroldO said:

viewcode said:

nunu2 said:

As your usual example of Boris’s anti Muslim bias is his article on banning the burqa, I’m surprised that you missed the point that he was disagreeing with the ban that had been passed by the French.

That is from memory, so please correct me if I have the details wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

To have got the other two Doncaster seats would have required assuming a landslide was going to happen.

It made more sense to concentrate on Don Valley.

Likewise to concentrate on Rother Valley and Penistone instead of the other Rotherham and Barnsley seats.

Or again to concentrate on Bolsover (Con maj 5,299) rather than get distracted by Chesterfield (Lab maj 1,451).

Also, the BXP really put huge resources into South Yorkshire, sending out more letters than even Mike Smithson did.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

I have a Confession to make. On reflection, I think "surplice" was an illegal move.

I should have stuck to more conventional puns.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

You have to take the ruff with the smooth
  • Options
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

I have a Confession to make. On reflection, I think "surplice" was an illegal move.

You should have kept to conventual puns, surely?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

Bravo! :D
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

nichomar said:

They want change, they don't want Labour change so they have voted Tory but made it clear that this vote depends on them delivering. Seems sensible to me, they want their votes to be bought.
    That was the point there is little evidence of what change they want where has it ever been articulated? They just didn’t want corbyn, fair play I didn’t but where next?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

On safety of seats, the next LibDems is from Bath or Twickenham....

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/defence/liberal-democrat

11 seats. Jeez......

Seats with 14,000 and 15,000 majorities need to be overturned to get to 50. Yikes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

Aw, dammit. That was what I was trying, though...

Clearly, more contemplation was needed.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,511
    edited December 2019

nichomar said:

I believe that Labour will elect Corbyn Mk 2 as the next leader. If Johnson can make a decent fist of governing then he may therefore be able to reduce Labour to a rump next time. We shall see.
    A question not sufficiently examined is: Why did so many people vote Labour? If what the moderate Labour candidates are saying is true about what they got on the doorstep, where on earth are all these millions of people coming from?

On another topic, Boris has a lot of freedom because at the moment Tory voters have absolutely nowhere else to go. Brexit, Ukip, LDs and Labour between them offer nothing to any centre right voter. Nor is a centre right alternative going to appear.

Until Labour have a leadership which can reach deep into the Tory vote they are stuck. Can they learn that 'Tory Scum' is not the best line to get Tories to vote for you?

• Options
    HaroldO said:

James Brokenshire has many detailed plans. What was lacking was central support. He will have it now.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited December 2019
    Love the way people are making bold statements on what is and isn’t possible, yet three days ago could not predict this election despite clear polling evidence.

We have no idea what is about to unfold, Tories celebrated like this in 92 and 15 and then entered hell. We just don’t know. Anything is possible.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

Endillion said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Trickett
    Burgon
    Abbott
    Lavery
    Rayner
    McDonnell
    Corbyn
    So who are the next lot?

Aw, dammit. That was what I was trying, though...

Clearly, more contemplation was needed.
    Autocorrect is bloody annoying at the moment, isn’t it? It keeps altaring what I write too, sometimes with embarrassing results as when I was calling out SeanT Byronic and ‘name’ became ‘Anne.’
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Love the way people are making bold statements on what is and isn’t possible, yet three days ago could predict this election despite clear polling evidence.

We have no idea what is about to unfold, Tories celebrated like this in 92 and 15 and then entered hell. We just don’t know. Anything is possible.

It is entirely possible Labour will do something sensible.

It would however be a dramatic break with recent practice.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,397

EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

But the canvassing manpower is dispersed and less effective for Labour when they are all back home in leafy Surrey.....
    How many seats with student population of any sort voted Conservative? One of the Bournemouth seats must have students. After that...? Pretty much all the red dots in the south are student seats - Canterbury, Cambridge, Norwich South, Portsmouth South, Reading East, Bedford, Southampton Itchen... Bath voted LD I suppose.

Ooh, Loughborough was Con too. And Derby North, possibly.
  • Options

nichomar said:

I agree let’s see a progressive agenda for the UK which leaves no one behind and rewards enterprise, supports equality of opportunity through investment in education and gives any tax breaks available to the lower income brackets. Really no longer care which seats went where it’s about where we go and is also nothing to do with set piece posturing it’s about what you do. Please MPs all go home till the New Year, recover and contemplate the future and come back refreshed to work together when possible and constructively oppose where necessary let’s take this as a new opportunity for the UK not the future of the Tory party.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Love the way people are making bold statements on what is and isn’t possible, yet three days ago could not predict this election despite clear polling evidence.

I said the same thing after the 2015 GE when PBers were making confident predictions stretching out to 2030.

None of which IIRC mentioned Brexit, Corbyn or Trump.
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    algarkirk said:

nichomar said:

A question not sufficiently examined is: Why did so many people vote Labour? If what the moderate Labour candidates are saying is true about what they got on the doorstep, where on earth are all these millions of people coming from?

On another topic, Boris has a lot of freedom because at the moment Tory voters have absolutely nowhere else to go. Brexit, Ukip, LDs and Labour between them offer nothing to any centre right voter. Nor is a centre right alternative going to appear.

Until Labour have a leadership which can reach deep into the Tory vote they are stuck. Can they learn that 'Tory Scum' is not the best line to get Tories to vote for you?

doesn't this worry any of you? leadership will be different next time Brexit no longer an issue and an upcoming recession
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    Any polls tonight? .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Love the way people are making bold statements on what is and isn’t possible, yet three days ago could predict this election despite clear polling evidence.

Ultimately the unions are key, they will want a ROI. They spent millions on this.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Ultimately the unions are key, they will want a ROI. They spent millions on this.
    You wonder if McCluskey will face another challenge. He has screwed up massively.
  • Options

So by my reckoning these are the seats won by the Conservatives in 2010 but not in 2019:

Battersea
    Brentford
    Croydon C
    Ealing C
    Enfield N
    Enfield Southgate
    Ilford N
    Putney
    Richmond Park

Bedford
    St Albans

Canterbury
    Reading E
    Oxford W

Bristol NW
    Plymouth Sutton

Warwick

Chester
    Lancaster
    Weaver Vale
    Wirral W

Cardiff N

Bristol NW now added.
  • Options

Any polls tonight? .

No. Get help.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,538
    algarkirk said:

nichomar said:

Out of habit. Half the people who voted Labour probably did so despite having reservations about Corbyn.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

You wonder if McCluskey will face another challenge. He has screwed up massively.
    There are other unions. Keep an eye on the GMB and who they back.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    nichomar said:

HaroldO said:

nichomar said:

That was the point there is little evidence of what change they want where has it ever been articulated? They just didn’t want corbyn, fair play I didn’t but where next?
    Where next is in the lap of the gods. When the electorate doesn't want Corbynism because they don't like where that would take us, where the alternative takes us is a matter of 'suck it up' as the expression has it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That's not true, quite a few of us have consistently been saying it would be a majority of between 60 and 80.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,538
    MaxPB said:

I just had a shock when seeing the result in Hull East for the first time.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

How many seats with student population of any sort voted Conservative? One of the Bournemouth seats must have students. After that...? Pretty much all the red dots in the south are student seats - Canterbury, Cambridge, Norwich South, Portsmouth South, Reading East, Bedford, Southampton Itchen... Bath voted LD I suppose.

Cheltenham. Lincoln. Probably Ynys Môn. Worcester. Newcastle under Lyme. All three seats in Stoke.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

Isn't Keele Uni in TP's constituency ?

I think York uni is in York Outer.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

That's not true, quite a few of us have consistently been saying it would be a majority of between 60 and 80.
    Stopped clock. Even I said it was 1983 mkII and wasn’t far off.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,463

Mr. O, Lammy didn't help his reputation when he criticised the Grenfell judge for, amongst other things, being white.

And appeared on Masstermind \;-o
  • Options

Cookie said:

EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

Isn't Keele Uni in TP's constituency ?

I think York uni is in York Outer.
    Carlisle, of course.

But most of these are in the North, and some of them are very small.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

A lot of the same people also knew Theresa had fucked it the day she announced the dementia tax.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Cookie said:

EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

It would be interesting to compare 18-24 voting between University and non-University educated. Do the latter just not vote? Do those that vote vote in the same way or differently? Something often forgotten when talking about "youthquakes" and record turnout. There is still presumably only about 50% of young people going to university.
  • Options
    Falmouth has a university, as does Hereford, as does Telford, but again they are re very small.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

A lot of the same people also knew Theresa had fucked it the day she announced the dementia tax.
    The interesting thing will be how Johnson slices the smaller pie if Brexit shrinks the economy as predicted.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

Battersea
    Croydon C
    Enfield Southgate
    Putney

Bedford

Cardiff C
    Gower

Reading E
    Portsmouth S

Plymouth Sutton

Weaver Vale

Wrexham - Glyndwr University
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

The interesting thing will be how Johnson slices the smaller pie if Brexit shrinks the economy as predicted.
    Aren't the predictions that it will be less big, not smaller.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Falmouth has a university, as does Hereford, as does Telford, but again they are re very small.

Don't you mean they have tech colleges which are now pretending to be universities ?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

nichomar said:

HaroldO said:

nichomar said:

Where next is in the lap of the gods. When the electorate doesn't want Corbynism because they don't like where that would take us, where the alternative takes us is a matter of 'suck it up' as the expression has it.
    It’s a shame it is a unique opportunity for a UK government to actually govern for everybody it has only happened once in my life and the eventually let it slip away but let’s see I’ve fought this war for to long and want an end to tribalism and triumphalism can they just get on with their jobs, keep off the Telly and earn their salary.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Aren't the predictions that it will be less big, not smaller.
    Depends what your measuring relative to really. Either way cash is not expected to be plentiful, despite the rhetoric from both parties in this campaign.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Don't you mean they have tech colleges which are now pretending to be universities ?
    Harper Adams was not a tech college. Falmouth was a campus of Exeter before going Independent. Hereford has a new university opened last September.
  • Options
    Is this a map of housing affordability or a map of relative Con-Lab swings ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23234033
  • Options
    Wycombe has a university that is ranked just above Cambridge on one very widely used measure.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Welwyn Hatfield has a university.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Universiity ofnottingha sits in broxtowe ...thats Tory
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

You might have missed the referendum on leaving the EU, where the leave side secure 52%.
    ... you may have missed an election 2 days ago with 55% of the vote for parties which would revoke or have a confirmatory referendum.

But they only got only 42% of the seats. As most Tories except Hannan are even more dinosaur-like on the PR issue than Labour, we'll probably have FPTP for another 100 yrs. Do enjoy your unfair majorities (six since 1979 for Tories, only three for Lab).
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    ydoethur said:

Any polls tonight? .

No. Get help.
    It was not meant to be serious but nevertheless there is a serious point here. What would those who gave their vote to the Tories 24 hrs ago say now?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

ydoethur said:

Any polls tonight? .

No. Get help.
    It was not meant to be serious but nevertheless there is a serious point here. What would those who gave their vote to the Tories 24 hrs ago say now?
    My reply was not meant to be entirely serious either, but on rereading it it comes across as snappish. Apologies.
This discussion has been closed.