Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Evening all :)
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited January 2014
    After this latest outbreak of PB Romneyism in blaming the voters and the polls it would be remiss not to show where that inevitably and hilariously leads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwuR0jCavk

:)
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Phew - the last thread had more yellow boxes than a Shanghai bordello.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    #5 is a poor case of selective time selecting. Apparently the only pollster showing no change in the lead is Populus, except that's the only graph they start from July instead of Jan 2013. If you start all the graphs from them most of them show...no change. It appears there may have been a slip in the lead in the past month, but to be honest there's still clear sign of any significant change in the lead in the past 6 months.
  • Mick_Pork said:

After this latest outbreak of PB Romneyism in blaming the voters and the polls it would be remiss not to show where that inevitably and hilariously leads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwuR0jCavk

:)

A quite remarkable tape. Meanwhile thanks to TSE for link 23. Superb.

• Our shy SLab poster has forgotten that Romney tried to blame Obama for Bush's mess, just as the Eds are trying to blame the Coalition for Labour's monumental bust. Romney failed and so will the Eds.
    edited January 2014
    Our shy self-confessed fascist and Blairite has also forgotten that all his inept spinning for scottish Labour doesn't seem to have helped them too much in the opinion polls lately.

SNP 43%
    Labour 24%
    Conservatives 14%
    UKIP 7%
    Liberal Democrats 6%
  • Brilliant action-packed list of links TSE ..... very well put together!
  • I think the pig doth squeal too much.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Yougov out yet ?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I am surprised it is as few as that, but Leicester is popular with minorities as so relaxed about multiculturalism.

It still isnt too hard to fix a visa for a non EU Dr, but not so easy as ten years ago, when permenant residance was automatic after four years.

Before anyone gets too hot under the collar, it was New Labour in 2006 that changed the visa rules and made it difficult for Commenwealth Drs to get work visas.
    edited January 2014
    Quincel said:

#5 is a poor case of selective time selecting. Apparently the only pollster showing no change in the lead is Populus, except that's the only graph they start from July instead of Jan 2013. If you start all the graphs from them most of them show...no change. It appears there may have been a slip in the lead in the past month, but to be honest there's still clear sign of any significant change in the lead in the past 6 months.

It's certainly not uniform but change there has most definitely been.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

True, the labour drop is far more pronounced in the run up to last May's local elections but they still finished lower at the end of 2013 than the start. The tories get their softer kipper tory votes back faster after the May locals which mitigates their drop. Meanwhile the kippers do indeed suffer a drop after the May local elections but they still finish off higher at the end of 2013 than the start. If they repeat that for 2014 and the EU elections then that's still a bigger kipper VI than right now going into the 2015 election.

Which would unquestionably cause panic among eurosceptic tories and the Cameroons, though to be fair it will have done so long before then as we can clearly see.
    David Jones ‏@DavidJo52951945 3h

David Cameron has been summoning backbenchers to stop them backing amendment to stop Romanian immigration http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/20

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 2h

EXCL: Tory backbenchers say ministers risk 'gift-wrapping' votes to UKIP by denying them a say in immigration debate:

TORY MP Dominic Raab has warned Ministers they risk "gift wrapping" votes to UKIP by denying them a voice in tomorrow’s critical immigration debate

http://bit.ly/1ftKMcT
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Pulpstar said:

Yougov out yet ?

Twitter down.

Someone's dropped the marmalade.

Steady on old chap. Can't have bad language here!
    AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

Yougov out yet ?

Twitter down.

Someone's dropped the marmalade.

Who is the best person to follow for Yougov polls - @Yougov I assume ^^: ?
  • I know I should bet on Arsenal winning late... but I'm not going to on principle.
    edited January 2014
    FPT

Where's Avery ???

I need a yellow box for some predicted versus actual outcome data.

First the predicted:

"Growth in the UK economy for the coming five years is estimated to be: 1.2 per cent this year and 2.3 per cent next year; Then 2.8 per cent in 2012 followed by 2.9 per cent in 2013; Then 2.7 per cent in both 2014 and in 2015."

And now the actual:

2010 1.7%
    2011 1.1%
    2012 0.3%
    2013 1.9%

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_350407.pdf

By my reckoning George is running 4.2% below prediction.

And if I was truly cynical I might suggest that Osborne deliberately underpredicted 2010 growth or that the credit for it belongs to the outgoing Labour government.

2010 1.7% <<< Lowest growth in G7
    2011 1.1%
    2012 0.3%
    2013 1.9% <<< Highest H2 growth in G7

All you need to know really, ar.
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Who is the best person to follow for Yougov polls - @Yougov I assume ^^: ?

either @Sun_Politics

or @tnewtondunn

• AveryLP said:

FPT

Where's Avery ???

First the predicted:

"Growth in the UK economy for the coming five years is estimated to be: 1.2 per cent this year and 2.3 per cent next year; Then 2.8 per cent in 2012 followed by 2.9 per cent in 2013; Then 2.7 per cent in both 2014 and in 2015."

And now the actual:

2010 1.7%
    2011 1.1%
    2012 0.3%
    2013 1.9%

And if I was truly cynical I might suggest that Osborne deliberately underpredicted 2010 growth or that the credit for it belongs to the outgoing Labour government.

2010 1.7%
    Feeble.

People aren't interested in international comparisons but whether they're getting richer themselves.

And on that this government has failed despite its predictions.

Now to be fair that doesn't surprise I've always predicted a fall in living standards as a consequence of the need to rebalance a deeply unbalanced economy.

But what Osborne has achieved is a fall in living standards while making the economy even more unbalanced.

• AveryLP said:

FPT

BTW Avery I noticed a tweet from Osborne where he mentions the percentage growth of manufacturing in 2013Q4.

Did he also mention the percentage growth of manufacturing over 2013 as a whole and if so why not ?

Surely he would want to emphasise the 'march of the makers'.

• I know I should bet on Arsenal winning late... but I'm not going to on principle.

Down to 10 men, brought on a defender for a midfielder - 8-1 now...... still know what's coming...
  • Mick_Pork said:

Quincel said:

True, the labour drop is far more pronounced in the run up to last May's local elections but they still finished lower at the end of 2013 than the start. The tories get their softer kipper tory votes back faster after the May locals which mitigates their drop. Meanwhile the kippers do indeed suffer a drop after the May local elections but they still finish off higher at the end of 2013 than the start. If they repeat that for 2014 and the EU elections then that's still a bigger kipper VI than right now going into the 2015 election.

Which would unquestionably cause panic among eurosceptic tories and the Cameroons, though to be fair it will have done so long before then as we can clearly see.

David Cameron has been summoning backbenchers to stop them backing amendment to stop Romanian immigration http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/20

EXCL: Tory backbenchers say ministers risk 'gift-wrapping' votes to UKIP by denying them a say in immigration debate:

TORY MP Dominic Raab has warned Ministers they risk "gift wrapping" votes to UKIP by denying them a voice in tomorrow’s critical immigration debate

Remember though that Cameron 'feels their frustration' ;-)
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

FPT

BTW Avery I noticed a tweet from Osborne where he mentions the percentage growth of manufacturing in 2013Q4.

Did he also mention the percentage growth of manufacturing over 2013 as a whole and if so why not ?

Surely he would want to emphasise the 'march of the makers'.

The Field Officer in Brigade Waiting's command was:

SLOW...SLOW...QUICK...QUICK

edited January 2014

Mick_Pork said:

Quincel said:

Remember though that Cameron 'feels their frustration' ;-)

There still appears to be an 'inspired' Osbrowne master strategy for every occasion.
    steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 14h

Backbenchers livid as it appears the Govt will block their immigration bill amendments by "timing out" any debate
    I wonder if there was a simple typo at work from the tory HQ spin machine and it was really that Cameron 'feeds their frustration'. ;-)
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

FPT

Where's Avery ???

First the predicted:

And now the actual:

2010 1.7%
    2011 1.1%
    2012 0.3%
    2013 1.9%

2010 1.7%
    Feeble.

People aren't interested in international comparisons but whether they're getting richer themselves.

Now to be fair that doesn't surprise I've always predicted a fall in living standards as a consequence of the need to rebalance a deeply unbalanced economy.

But what Osborne has achieved is a fall in living standards while making the economy even more unbalanced.

Biggest fall in Real Households' Disposable Income (RHDI) came between 2007-2009.

Thereafter, under Osborne, it has fluctuated but basically flat-lined with signs of improvement in 2013.

And before any lefty claims that the post-recession fall wasn't Labour's fault ("it all started in America" etc), we should note that, in the five years before the recession, Brown managed to 'grow' the economy at 3% per annum at the same time as restricting growth in RHDI to an annual rate of 1%.

• Wrong again - hoorar!!

City to win tomorrow then...
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    There days YouGov come out just before 10pm.
    City have won. The mighty Leicester City, that is. Showing a clean pair of heels to QPR in second place. Jamey Vardy gets better and better. The most ever paid for a non league player, but now looking a bargain.

It is scary watching Leicester play like this, after all the dross and disappointment of the last decade. Scary, but nice!

Wrong again - hoorar!!

City to win tomorrow then...

• OGH on the sauce? That was comres wasn't it?

Mike Smithson‏@MSmithsonPB4 mins
    Last night YouGov had 32/33/9/14. Hopefully we'll get the latest poll in the next 20 minutes
    @ALP

In other words the Cost of Living Crisis started when Brown departed from the Tories policies?

The economy should be in pretty good shape when Balls gets it back to play with in 2015.
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

FPT

Where's Avery ???

First the predicted:

And now the actual:

2010 1.7%
    2011 1.1%
    2012 0.3%
    2013 1.9%

2010 1.7%
    Feeble.

Biggest fall in Real Households' Disposable Income (RHDI) came between 2007-2009.

Thereafter, under Osborne, it has fluctuated but basically flat-lined with signs of improvement in 2013.

And before any lefty claims that the post-recession fall wasn't Labour's fault ("it all started in America" etc), we should note that, in the five years before the recession, Brown managed to 'grow' the economy at 3% per annum at the same time as restricting growth in RHDI to an annual rate of 1%.

• And some more of Osborne's targets:

"Consumer price inflation is expected to reach 2.7 per cent by the end of the year before returning to target in the medium term. And let me take this opportunity to confirm that the inflation target remains at 2 per cent as measured by the Consumer Prices Index. The unemployment rate is forecast by the Office for Budget Responsibility to peak this year at 8.1 per cent and then fall for each of the next four years, to reach 6.1 per cent in 2015."

In reality CPI was at 3.7% in December 2010, peaked at 5.2% in September 2011, was at least a full percentage point higher than target up until April 2012 and only fell to 2.0% in December 2013.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=D7G7&dataset=mm23&table-id=1.2

And even on unemployment the targets were missed as the rate peaked at 8.4% in Sep/Oct 2011 before falling to its present 7.1%. Whether it continues its present downward trend to reach the target of 6.1% in 2015 we will have to wait and see.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=MGSX&dataset=lms&table-id=01
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2014
    Whatever your political persuasion, this has to be one of the most detached from reality front pages for a very long time...

"Gloating Osborne faces backlash over mediocre economic growth figures"

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/428246937293570048/photo/1
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead up one point to three: CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%
  • Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere and I doubt Carswell has much credibility on here, but I find this interesting:

http://www.talkcarswell.com/home/the-left-has-gone-loopy/2758
  • YouGov suggests that last night's was not an outlier. Bad poll for Labour.
  • As a Spurs fan, always looking desperately for reasons to be hopeful.

Tonight:

1. Gunners drop points.

2. Everton lose main striker - Spurs play them in circa 10 days.

3. Newcastle losing Cabaye and Remy sent off, be suspended 3 games - Spurs play them in that 3rd game.

4. Hull have goalie sent off late - Spurs play them this weekend.

5. I've tipped Man C to win at the Lane tomorrow.
  • compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited January 2014
    Scott_P said:

Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead up one point to three: CON 34%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%

SQUIRREL.....onward polling uprights and bar with our endless political ramble.
  • I doubt Labour lead is really down to 2-3%...I would still think it is ~5-6%...

But it does seem that all that banging on about 50p tax hasn't seen the sort of temporary jump you normally see from a populist policy getting a good airing. Make of that what you will.

Scott_P said:

Gap looks a top end outlier to me, compouter.

Better get Mark Senior on to the internals quick.

Has that Squirrel got your nuts? Or are you just facing that blue screen of oblivion?

Scott_P said:

• I doubt Labour lead is really down to 2-3%...I would still think it is ~5-6%...

But it does seem that all that banging on about 50p tax hasn't seen the sort of temporary jump you normally see from a populist policy getting a good airing. Make of that what you will.

I agree that the Labour lead is in the 5-7% range.

I think what we all have to remember is that with MOE variation, Labour leads of 2-9% aren't that different from that the 5-7% range.

Agreed. Labour will be very disappointed that it hasn't given them a poll bounce.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Very good poll for Con.

No chance that the true lead is really only 2% - but two YouGovs in a row plus the ComRes provide real encouragement that the true lead may have ticked down from 6% to 4% or 5%.

Tonight:

1. Gunners drop points.

3. Newcastle losing Cabaye and Remy sent off, be suspended 3 games - Spurs play them in that 3rd game.

Don't forget I've backed Spurs to win tomorrow (and to qualify for the Champs league)
  • AveryLP said:

Indeed.

I remember the media reports on the soaring cost of bread, milk and energy in 2007-2008.

Very low paid workers stuff which together with Brown's tax increase on them was behind the huge Conservative victories in the local and Crewe elections and the enormous Conservative opinion poll leads at that time.

But the Cameroons really didn't understand why things were going so well politically for them just as they didn't understand how dangerous the economic fundamentals were.

Echo chambers around the Notting Hill dinner parties and a reluctance / lack of interest in leaving their comfort zones.
    AveryLP said:

Just as the Brown fan club recited "it all started in America" back then the Osborne fan club recite "it was all the fault of the recession in the Eurozone" now.

Plus ca change etc

Agreed. Labour will be very disappointed that it hasn't given them a poll bounce.
    There's two ways to look at this

1) It takes a while (up to a fortnight) for changes to filter to VI

2) Balls with his toxic ratings, was the last person Lab should have used to announce the 50p rate plan, Ed M would have been a better choice.
  • I'm really proud of link 14, and the juxtaposition of 20 and 21

Tonight:

1. Gunners drop points.

Don't forget I've backed Spurs to win tomorrow (and to qualify for the Champs league)
    Is this top trumps? Just to keep your bleedin team getting 4th!
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Speaking of "it all started in America" its now been snowing here for about 12 hours, and is expected to continue for another 17 hours.

Luckily it'll be sunny for the next few days, and in the 60s by Friday.

Tonight:

1. Gunners drop points.

You're forgetting my awesome form of 2014, that began with predicting Spurs would beat Man U and Adeybayor scoring the first goal.

I doubt Labour lead is really down to 2-3%...I would still think it is ~5-6%...

2) Balls with his toxic ratings, was the last person Lab should have used to announce the 50p rate plan, Ed M would have been a better choice.
    I was just about to post that, (Point 1) @TSE but I can never work out why it is the case - Does Joe FLoater wake up a fortnight after a conference or major policy announcement and think

"Hmm I've changed my VI because Lib/Lab/Con/UKIP announed they were going to give away motherhood and apple pie a fortnight ago"

Why does it take so long ?

Tonight:

1. Gunners drop points.

You're forgetting my awesome form of 2014, that began with predicting Spurs would beat Man U and Adeybayor scoring the first goal.
    True - given I believe you then bet on England winning the 3rd ODI and the series, stick with the footie and leave the English ladies alone please... if you take my meaning.
    edited January 2014

The 50p damage was done by Osbrowne's omnishables already. It kickstarted the kippers off of 5% to eventually rise to their current levels by persuading so many tory kipper waverers to start jumping ship. It gave labour their boost back in 2012 and decoupled the tory vote from mirroring labour onto mirroring UKIPs VI far more closely. It also stopped the trend of most of the coalition blame simply falling on the Clegg's head and missing the tories.

As the kipper vote gets higher it starts taking an ever increasing chunk out of labour.
    A pattern which shows no sign of stopping any time soon.
  • This is remarkable if maintained after all the 35% threads on here...

Mike Smithson‏@MSmithsonPB8 mins
    Most worrying feature of current polling for LAB is that the number of 2010 LD switchers seems to be moving downwards

• 2) Balls with his toxic ratings, was the last person Lab should have used to announce the 50p rate plan, Ed M would have been a better choice.

Balls is truly shite.

Hasn't he announced that 50% will now only be temporary ?

I can do a better job than Balls in my spare time.

And I did a better job than Osborne when he was Shadow Chancellor.

Its pi55 easy - all you have to do is look up the Chancellor's budget forecasts and then contrast them with the ONS stats.

Why are establishment politicians so bloody crap ?

I think I forecast at the time that 50p would make no difference to VI. You may be right that having Balls on telly has hurt Labour a bit. Quite possibly that was a strategic mistake. It should be rectifiable - the Tories appear not to have gained massively but the announcement hasn't gone the way Labour would have hoped. I think @MikeL is right in his analysis below.
  • Pulpstar said:

I was just about to post that, (Point 1) @TSE but I can never work out why it is the case - Does Joe FLoater wake up a fortnight after a conference or major policy announcement and think

"Hmm I've changed my VI because Lib/Lab/Con/UKIP announed they were going to give away motherhood and apple pie a fortnight ago"

Not everyone pays such close attention to the (political) news as.

Look at the weekly populus polling on the most noticed stories in the week.

It takes a few weeks to filter through.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    edited January 2014

As a Spurs fan, always looking desperately for reasons to be hopeful.

Tonight:

1. Gunners drop points.

True - given I believe you then bet on England winning the 3rd ODI and the series, stick with the footie and leave the English ladies alone please... if you take my meaning.
    Are you implying I'm a Lib Dem?

29 winning bets this month.

Just saying.
    I have a £50 free bet with Betway btw - My plan is to back whichever team looks be in a sticky patch in South Africa/Australia 1st test and then trade out hopefully a fair few points lower on Betfair.

Test matches (Especially between 2 decent teams) tend to offer great value if you go in at the right point...

3. Voters had already factored it in.

Labour at the bottom of its YG range two days in a row. Tories towards the top of theirs. It was like this in early autumn too if I remember correctly.

• What is this 50p you are all banging on about?

Is it this one?

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges10 mins
    Tomorrow's Yougov has Labour's lead at just 3 points. I owe @JohnRentoul 50p...
  • I like this man!

Nick Bamford‏@nickbamford3 hrs
    I sense Ed Balls would be a happier man if we were still in his recession

Has that Squirrel got your nuts? Or are you just facing that blue screen of oblivion?

Scott_P said:

The sight of the squirrel is bad news for many, in fact it could be seen as the polling albatross. The sight of the squirrel means the PB Hodges will rather look at it thean discuss the poll, meaning their repeated polling predictions keep ending up in flames. Also bad for me as the partnership I have with the stanchions continues unabated.....and my back feels like it is in flames.
    The Lib dems are still flatlining on around 10% as they have been since late 2010.

If Clegg's ostrich faction think this poll, or the results and polls where they are getting beaten by the kippers (in scotland!), indicate they are getting any credit then they will be in for quite the shock come the May EU and local elections.

Labour at the bottom of its YG range two days in a row. Tories towards the top of theirs. It was like this in early autumn too if I remember correctly.

Yes, people have factored in Labour are a tax raising party.
  • Paddy Power opened up their When will the Tories have a lead with YouGov market

It was 4/1 earlier, now it's 5/2 for Q1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1159292

Paddy Power opened up their When will the Tories have a lead with YouGov market

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1159292

Got on for a tenner at 4-1

Wonder what the favourite is?
    edited January 2014
    Dr Sox

The Broadbent LSE speech addresses this more than any other text I have read.

It is not so much the failure of Blair and Brown to follow Tory spending plans but the gap between consumer goods and services inflation and enterprise output inflation with its associated falls in productivity which constrained real incomes growth.

Some of this was policy driven (increase in indirect taxes, regulated price increase) but global commodity price inflation also played its part.

@ALP

In other words the Cost of Living Crisis started when Brown departed from the Tories policies?

The economy should be in pretty good shape when Balls gets it back to play with in 2015.

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

FPT

Where's Avery ???

First the predicted:

And now the actual:

2010 1.7%
    2011 1.1%
    2012 0.3%
    2013 1.9%

2010 1.7%
    Feeble.

Balls is truly shite.
    He is indeed but so is the toxic Osbrowne. So ironically both remain quite safe as long as the other is in place.

• Pulpstar said:

I had a bit on last summer, at 4/1, when some wise fellow tipped H1 of 2014 for a Tory lead with YouGov

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/08/29/betting-on-when-will-a-conservative-lead-with-yougov-occur/
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Fortress Labour again in 37%-40% spread. Doesn't matter whatever else happens.

Even that 1% lead would have given lead about 320 seats.
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,721

This is remarkable if maintained after all the 35% threads on here...

Mike Smithson‏@MSmithsonPB8 mins
    Most worrying feature of current polling for LAB is that the number of 2010 LD switchers seems to be moving downwards

Where are they going - 'cos it doesn't appear to be back to the Lib Dems unless something odd is happening?

Yes, people have factored in Labour are a tax raising party.

Exactly. I can't see it moving north out of its current range. South not looking that likely either.

• Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 1m

A powerful poll from YouGov in @TheSunNewspaper tomorrow that proves folk may like a policy, but it only does more damage to its owner.
  • Paddy Power opened up their When will the Tories have a lead with YouGov market
    L

I tried to get on at 4/1 earlier but wasn't able to. I had a hunch that they might sneak a lead tonight, so in the short term I am relieved I couldn't get on.

Pulpstar said:

I had a bit on last summer, at 4/1, when some wise fellow tipped H1 of 2014 for a Tory lead with YouGov

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/08/29/betting-on-when-will-a-conservative-lead-with-yougov-occur/
    Ah, August 2013, when PB Hodges were scattering polling crossover predictions like confetti.

• 2) Balls with his toxic ratings, was the last person Lab should have used to announce the 50p rate plan, Ed M would have been a better choice.

Balls is truly shite.

Hasn't he announced that 50% will now only be temporary ?

I can do a better job than Balls in my spare time.

And I did a better job than Osborne when he was Shadow Chancellor.

Its pi55 easy - all you have to do is look up the Chancellor's budget forecasts and then contrast them with the ONS stats.

Why are establishment politicians so bloody crap ?

Did you stop the election in 2007 like George did?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Looks like peak Ed has passed.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Pulpstar said:

Ah, August 2013, when PB Hodges were scattering polling crossover predictions like confetti.
    I wonder what's upset you tonight ;-)
  • Pulpstar said:

Q2 at 6/1 looks a good bet - they only have to lead in a solitary YouGov and it's a winner. Looks value at 6/1.

Pulpstar said:

EFFING EFFING EFFING.............BAH!!!!!!!!
  • Pulpstar said:

Q2 at 6/1 looks a good bet - they only have to lead in a solitary YouGov and it's a winner. Looks value at 6/1.
    It does look tasty
  • Are the cross tabs out for YouGov?
  • ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    Pulpstar said:

Ok not saying this is correct but it is my attempt to explain it.

People are herd animals at heart (at least most of them are). It takes a week for people to work our the herd response of their social group by cross referencing down the pub and around the water filter then another week of checking they are now holding the correct opinion....just a theory mind you
  • Are the cross tabs out for YouGov?

They are usually out at 6am.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited January 2014

Q2 at 6/1 looks a good bet - they only have to lead in a solitary YouGov and not be level in a solitary YouGov before the end of March and it's a winner. Looks value at 6/1.

Fixed that for you, as they say :-) The value remains Q1 (even at 5/2), given there's another 40 or so polls to go.

Pulpstar said:

I turned on my laptop and was anticipating "MAJOR MOVE ON YOUGOV TONIGHT" headline. It would have topped a very black night. I am in bloody Kent surrounded by non-scouse kopites. Busteds!
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    "Want to defeat UKIP? Then get more working class people into politics"

Can't do that without admitting things like the gang culture cos the political class wanting to pretend things like the gang culture didn't exist is what led to excluding working class people from politics in the first place.

"Man fights off shark, stitches up own leg, goes to the pub."

I was so hoping that was a Jones.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Pulpstar said:

I turned on my laptop and was anticipating "MAJOR MOVE ON YOUGOV TONIGHT" headline. It would have topped a very black night. I am in bloody Kent surrounded by non-scouse kopites. Busteds!
    lol - you lucky,I was watching city in a cold rainy Bradford ;-)

Small arb on between Coral and Betfair for Mr Davidson to win CBB btw ;)
  • @TSE

I only ask because Mike has seen the 2010LD numbers (or so his tweet implies)

Pulpstar said:

And hoping to put down those bloody goalposts i suspect
  • Q2 at 6/1 looks a good bet - they only have to lead in a solitary YouGov and not be level in a solitary YouGov before the end of March and it's a winner. Looks value at 6/1.

Fixed that for you, as they say :-) The value remains Q1 (even at 5/2), given there's another 40 or so polls to go.
    Thanks for the clarification - appreciated
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    @josiasjessop

Fpt

Because as the one that wants the answer to a question, and no doubt to rebutt the answer, the emphasis is on you to find out rather than me to provide it. Especislly as I have had the argument many times before, when it was relevant and on topic, and don't want to have it again. As it is pointless
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    edited January 2014

@TSE

I only ask because Mike has seen the 2010LD numbers (or so his tweet implies)

I think Mike's assuming that the YouGov tonight tables tonight will be largely the same as last night's tables, which also fits the ComRes as well
    edited January 2014

Pulpstar said:

lol - you lucky,I was watching city in a cold rainy Bradford ;-)

Lucky - I had to sit next to an array of accents who wouldn't know their way to Anfield if you stapled it to their head and shoved a pre-set sat nav up their Harris. One asked the other before the match "We are playing in red tonight?"....and he had a bloody scarf on.
    edited January 2014

Pulpstar said:

Conservatives were never going to touch Labour in a Yougov last year though, was always a mug bet. This quarter however is different I think, will touch even and then go apart again.

February 25th is the date you'll need the goalposts I reckon
  • I love Merseyside derbies.

My greatest memory was Gary McAllister's, 44 yard, better than sex, injury time winner at Goodison in the Cup Treble season.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Conservatives were never going to touch Labour in a Yougov last year though, was always a mug bet. This quarter however is different I think, will touch even and then go apart again.

February 25th is the date you'll need the goalposts I reckon
    Didn't stop the Hodges boasting their predictions....even thoes with yellow boxes ;-)
This discussion has been closed.