Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rob Ford and Matthew Goodwin have news of UKIP’s private po

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rob Ford and Matthew Goodwin have news of UKIP’s private polling in Wythenshawe

Today they focus on tomorrow’s Wythenshawe by-election and why the purples have had to scale down expectations. I found these aspects very interesting:-

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Like UKIP I am A goodish second.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2014
    Patrick said:
    With that and the deterioration of the Chinese whisky market, things not going too well on the Scottish Economic front.

[I find it objectionable - even as an Englishman - that "whisky" gets a wiggly red line when I type it, but "whiskey" does not]
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Fop panic!
    Times News ‏@TimesNewsdesk 35m

Tory alarm over Cameron’s ‘money no object’ pledge for the floods http://thetim.es/1bWySc9
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited February 2014
    delete
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Farage raging against the machine politics ?

But Nigel - your party will do more to ease Labour back into power than Labour themselves....

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Hugh said:

I get the feeling UKIP might have hit something of a ceiling.

How many more angry old rightwing Tories are left to desert?
    Or ex Lib / DNV protesters?
    Or Labour voters who are willing to switch to a party of the Far Right?

Can't be many.

Hugh, Hugh - you are ignoring the evidence right under your nose. Why here on PB we have at least two young, left-wing tyros who have switched to UKIP for reasons they have made clear to you at length.

There is undeniably a large number of disaffected Tories who parade under the hell-in-a-handbasket banner but most of those will return to the fold come May2015.

It is the likes of @isam & @Viceroy_of_Orange that you left-ers need to worry about.
  • Options
    "…Like other struggling competitors before him, Farage is quick to allege the use of intimidation: “You’re the little old dear at number 33. The postman delivers the ballot paper. Two minutes later, there’s a knock on the door. It’s the Labour canvasser. ‘Do you want some help with that? Can I take that from you?’ They’ve even got a barcoding system.”

Did Farage really say that? Oh dear. Barcoded activists tailing posties to steal ballot papers from old dears. It doesn't sound far fetched at all.

LOL
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Anorak said:

Patrick said:
    With that and the deterioration of the Chinese whisky market, things not going too well on the Scottish Economic front.

[I find it objectionable - even as an Englishman - that "whisky" gets a wiggly red line when I type it, but "whiskey" does not]
    This is to help you distinguish whiskey from it's low quality imitator whisky and keep you on the paths of health and righteousness.
  • Options
    "Goodish second places don’t get you MPs."

While this is obviously true, to come second in this seat would be a considerable advance for UKIP from the 5th place they found themselves in at GE2010, and they will hope to have made a lot of progress in developing a local party organisation and contacting local voters during the by-election campaign.

It's an open question as to whether UKIP are able to develop this sort of local organisation sufficiently to win any seats at the 2015GE, but they can only make progress from where they are, not from where they want to be.

Still, I would have thought it was almost certain that at the next election UKIP will save more deposits than the Lib Dems, but win many fewer seats, possibly none. That would have to be frustrating for them.
  • Options
    I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again: MPs are only a means to an end. That end is power and MPs are only one factor in holding it.

Wins are certainly better than second places all else being equal, but the cost of achieving those wins may or may not be worth the benefit.

After all, the Lib Dems entering government will almost certainly cost them MPs - did that make it a bad move? Not necessarily; they traded future election losses against current power. Whether it was a bad move depends on what they do with that power. So with UKIP. If they can achieve more by piling up second and third places and affecting how the parties in first and second think, then it may well be worth the opportunity cost of a few MPs shouting from the sidelines.

As for Wythenshaw, what UKIP really does need is second. Failing to beat the Conservatives really would be seen as a backwards step.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hugh said:

Nah. They'll go up again before the May EU elections but the way things are going it might not be by very much at all and it will just make the drop all the harder shortly afterwards.

There's still no sign whatsoever of them going back to their 2010 levels of 3.1% though.
    The Cameroons are living in a fantasy world if they actually believe that.

• Options
    Patrick said:
    A fantastic resource (and gift) that successive UK governments have totally squandered. The contrast with what Norway did is painful. No wonder so many Scots are furious. The rest of us should be too.

• Options
    Hugh said:

TOPPING said:

Hugh said:

Can't be many.

Hugh, Hugh - you are ignoring the evidence right under your nose. Why here on PB we have at least two young, left-wing tyros who have switched to UKIP for reasons they have made clear to you at length.

There is undeniably a large number of disaffected Tories who parade under the hell-in-a-handbasket banner but most of those will return to the fold come May2015.

It is the likes of @isam & @Viceroy_of_Orange that you left-ers need to worry about.
    Bollox. If I recall correctly from Mike's thread the other day, 45% of Kippers are ex Tory, only 8% ex Labour.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Interesting. So a majority of Kippers are not ex-Tory. Hadn't clocked that but yes it makes sense.

And I'm afraid you also commit the common left wing sin of speaking on behalf of but not quite understanding the - shall we call them by way of shorthand - White Working Class. Goodness knows where you live and work but there are plenty of neighbourhoods where UKIP has found willing recruits.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

TOPPING said:

Hugh said:

Can't be many.

Bollox. If I recall correctly from Mike's thread the other day, 45% of Kippers are ex Tory, only 8% ex Labour.

You are looking at the ex-2010 figures. Go back another 5 or 10 years. The reason UKIP have picked up relatively few voters from Labour is because Labour was already near rock bottom at the general election - there simply weren't many to defect out of Labour's second-lowest post-war total. To effectively claim that those voters would never have backed Labour because their immediate last party was the Conservatives is simplistic.
  • Options

Patrick said:
    A fantastic resource (and gift) that successive UK governments have totally squandered. The contrast with what Norway did is painful. No wonder so many Scots are furious. The rest of us should be too.

Indeed. And the Norwegians have had the sense to keep the tax regime low and stable. Successive UK chancellors have felt the need to raid the industry from time to time (Gordo, Osbrowne) and maintaining investment in such a climate is not on. I sincerely hope Ed Miliband would never be so stupid as to spout populist insanity about deliberately crushing profits and investment in British energy companies. Perish the thought.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

So with UKIP. If they can achieve more by piling up second and third places and affecting how the parties in first and second think, then it may well be worth the opportunity cost of a few MPs shouting from the sidelines.

That's going to happen anyway when they list their main target seats for 2015. They might well be lucky to win any seats at all but the surest way of affecting how the tories think is to line up some marginal seats where UKIP have a reasonable possibilty of winning. Then the kippers can watch the tories in those seats run about in a blind panic as they begin to realise the effect that kind of concentrated effort will have in their consituency and those around them. Panic that those tories will direct straight back to the commons, tory MPs and Cammie.

Wythenshaw is still a safe labour seat not prime kipper territory even if they do seem to be making a mess of it right now.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Patrick said:

I sincerely hope Ed Miliband would never be so stupid as to spout populist insanity about deliberately crushing profits and investment in British energy companies. Perish the thought.

Perish the thought indeed.
    Millions to see energy bills fall after David Cameron promises tariff reform

Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9616124/Millions-to-see-energy-bills-fall-after-David-Cameron-promises-tariff-reform.html
    Forcing energy companies to give the cheapest possible deal?? Stalinist populist insanity!

*chortle*
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    105 mph recorded at Aberdaron, Wales.

West Coast main line to be closed at 7pm.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

So with UKIP. If they can achieve more by piling up second and third places and affecting how the parties in first and second think, then it may well be worth the opportunity cost of a few MPs shouting from the sidelines.

That's going to happen anyway when they list their main target seats for 2015. They might well be lucky to win any seats at all but the surest way of affecting how the tories think is to line up some marginal seats where UKIP have a reasonable possibilty of winning. Then the kippers can watch the tories in those seats run about in a blind panic as they begin to realise the effect that kind of concentrated effort will have in their consituency and those around them. Panic that those tories will direct straight back to the commons, tory MPs and Cammie.

Wythenshaw is still a safe labour seat not prime kipper territory even if they do seem to be making a mess of it right now.

It's not (just) the prospect of losing to UKIP that's concerning Conservative MPs and activists; it's the prospect of losing to Labour because a disproportionate number of those that UKIP has picked up since 2010 came from the blue column.

As Wythenshawe is proving, even when they're able to concentrate national resources, UKIP simply doesn't have capacity to win election via an intense ground game. They would be making a massive strategic blunder if they decided that they ought to try.
  • Options
    Forcing energy companies to give the cheapest possible deal?? Stalinist populist insanity!

I agree Mick. We have the cheapest power in Europe and a looming energy nightmare. Price controls are NOT the way ahead. All the parties are utterly reckless and childlike on energy policy.

Kill the green subsidies and enforce proper open free market competition. The absolute No.1 objective of the Dept of Energy should be the reliable and affordable provision of electricty - all else is secondary and jettisonable. Frack for shale. Invest in the north sea. Build some non-uranium/pressurised water nuclear plants. Build some clean coal plants. Available. Affordable. Nowt else. Not that hard to understand.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

It's not (just) the prospect of losing to UKIP that's concerning Conservative MPs and activists; it's the prospect of losing to Labour because a disproportionate number of those that UKIP has picked up since 2010 came from the blue column.
    Of course but you can hardly target seats where you know you're just a spoiler. You go for the seats where you are most likely to win. There's no prospect of the kippers not running target seats this time around. It would be a massive humiliation if Farage was to say he isn't bothered about winning seats in places where he has a reasonable chance of doing so. That obviously being the case it all comes down to just how many the kippers can afford to target. Quite a few I would think but not so many there won't still be enough kippers elsewhere to campaign in other less fertile but still promising areas.

As Wythenshawe is proving, even when they're able to concentrate national resources, UKIP simply doesn't have capacity to win election via an intense ground game. They would be making a massive strategic blunder if they decided that they ought to try.

In a safe labour seat. Not so in Eastleigh (they still lost but much longer and it might have gone the other way with Clegg's blundering over Rennard) and it won't be the case where they are breathing down the neck of tories in other favourable places. There just won't be a huge number of them where they can expect to win. Still more than enough to cause major tory panic though.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

TOPPING said:

Hugh said:

Can't be many.

You are looking at the ex-2010 figures. Go back another 5 or 10 years. The reason UKIP have picked up relatively few voters from Labour is because Labour was already near rock bottom at the general election - there simply weren't many to defect out of Labour's second-lowest post-war total. To effectively claim that those voters would never have backed Labour because their immediate last party was the Conservatives is simplistic.
    Huh?

It's the Tories, not Labour, who have leaked support thanks to UKIP's rise, regardless of who those voters might have voted for in 2001 or 1974 or whenever.

Disproportionately working-class Tory voters at that.
    Well, if you're happy with Labour trundling along in the high 20s or low 30s excluding the Lib Dem defectors, against a government that's been keeping the purse tight for four years ...
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OPEC's poor assessment for the prospects of North Sea production will come as a further blow to Mr Salmond who has argued that exploiting oil resources will be enough to sustain Scotland's economy if he is successful in September's referendum. According to Mr Salmond's figures, the region's remaining oil reserves will be worth £300,000 per person.

In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph in October, Opec Secretary General Abdalla Salem el-Badri warned that North Sea "oilfields" were depleted and that an independent Scotland would be unthinkable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/10633632/OPEC-says-North-Sea-oil-output-to-hit-new-lows.html
  • Options
    The oil debate for busy people

We know you don’t have all day. Let’s see if we can clear this up in under 600 words

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-oil-debate-for-busy-people/
    :)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

TOPPING said:

Hugh said:

Can't be many.

Huh?

It's the Tories, not Labour, who have leaked support thanks to UKIP's rise, regardless of who those voters might have voted for in 2001 or 1974 or whenever.

Well, if you're happy with Labour trundling along in the high 20s or low 30s excluding the Lib Dem defectors, against a government that's been keeping the purse tight for four years ...
    Why "excluding Lib Dem defectors"?
    Why indeed? There's a clear case for saying quite a few soft tory kipper waverers will come back because we've already seen that reflected in the polls. But lib dem defectors? The lib dems have been flatlining at 10% since late 2010 and nothing has shifted them from that.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Anorak said:

Patrick said:

This is to help you distinguish whiskey from it's low quality imitator whisky and keep you on the paths of health and righteousness.
    Quite right, Mr. Brooke! Cheers (its a bit early but then a glass of Bushmills with one's afternoon tea on a cold, very wet and very windy winter's afternoon is OK for pensioners).
  • Options
    Financier said:

OPEC's poor assessment for the prospects of North Sea production will come as a further blow to Mr Salmond who has argued that exploiting oil resources will be enough to sustain Scotland's economy if he is successful in September's referendum. According to Mr Salmond's figures, the region's remaining oil reserves will be worth £300,000 per person.

In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph in October, Opec Secretary General Abdalla Salem el-Badri warned that North Sea "oilfields" were depleted and that an independent Scotland would be unthinkable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/10633632/OPEC-says-North-Sea-oil-output-to-hit-new-lows.html

OPEC downplaying the oil reserves of a non-OPEC producer? Who'd have thunk?
    Nice to see the Tele according respect to one of Gadaffi's ex flunkies. They're not usually so generous/gullible (delete to taste) when it comes to the Libya connection.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

What a terrible thread.

You could always flounce off vowing never to return if you don't like it.

Are you referring to the time I said I was going to stop posting for a while, but would likely be back and would do so if a certain poster left? You have to laugh at how nats remember events sometimes.
    I'm talking about the time you were desperately calling for a poster to get banned but when your plaintive wailing was ignored, and you were never apologised to by anyone, you flounced off in the huff saying you wouldn't be back because of that and until he was banned. He wasn't banned yet here you are. You have to laugh at how right wing posters remember events sometimes.
    I never said at any point I wouldn't be back until he was banned. That is a figment of your imagination. Just like the idea that Scotland will be an independent state in the next few years.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    Hugh said:

Can't be many.

There are plenty of towns and wards like Great Yarmouth, Haverhill, and Gooshays across the South and East of England. London overspill estates, small working class towns, and seaports, which were either solid for Labour, or where Labour were competitive till recently. That's where you can expect to see UKIP picking up council seats in coming months.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

TOPPING said:

Hugh said:

Can't be many.

Huh?

Why "excluding Lib Dem defectors"? Can we also deduct people who previously supported other parties from the Tory score?
    Because these are people who have a track record of running a mile from supporting a party of power when they've had to make the decision. They *might* stay the distance through to 2015. If they do, they'll peel off immediately afterwards. That would be good enough to get Labour into power but unless Labour's underlying weakness is addressed, it leaves them extremely vulnerable.
  • Options

Financier said:

Nice to see the Tele according respect to one of Gadaffi's ex flunkies. They're not usually so generous/gullible (delete to taste) when it comes to the Libya connection.
    Gee strange day Divvie, I totally agree with that post.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

Can't be many.

There are plenty of towns and wards like Great Yarmouth, Haverhill, and Gooshays across the South and East of England. London overspill estates, small working class towns, and seaports, which were either solid for Labour, or where Labour were competitive till recently. That's where you can expect to see UKIP picking up council seats in coming months.
    Hugh won't have it.

In his (and other leftwingers') mind, UKIP's is "incorrect thinking" and something that the lumpen proletariat wouldn't, no make that shouldn't, even consider.

Except they do and this confuses people such as Hugh.

God I do apologise PB Mods but oh for tim's return and some decent, substantive left wing ideological arguments.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

What a terrible thread.

Are you referring to the time I said I was going to stop posting for a while, but would likely be back and would do so if a certain poster left? You have to laugh at how nats remember events sometimes.
    I'm talking about the time you were desperately calling for a poster to get banned but when your plaintive wailing was ignored, and you were never apologised to by anyone, you flounced off in the huff saying you wouldn't be back because of that and until he was banned. He wasn't banned yet here you are. You have to laugh at how right wing posters remember events sometimes.
    I never said at any point I wouldn't be back until he was banned. That is a figment of your imagination.
    I'll be generous and give you one more chance before I quote you in full.

Are you sticking by that version?

Yes or No?

EDIT

Nah, you don't deserve another chance.

"I never said at any point" actually turns out to be..

"I might get dragged back for certain big events (like the Scottish referendum), or, more likely, if certain other posters get banned or move on"

Would you like all the rest where you hurl abuse hither and yon because nobody will do as you petulantly demand? There's plenty of it.

Feel free to weasel away with excuses now. :)

• Options

Patrick said:

Er no. Norway is a country with 1/12th the population of the UK and larger oil reserves. 5 years ago it was vying with Russia to be the 2nd largest oil exporter in the world. Under those circumstances it is very easy to be able to save much of your oil wealth for the future.

The UK used much of its oil wealth to transform our economy after the train wreck that was the collapse of industry in the 70s. The record employment we benefit from today is a direct result of the decisions taken in the 80s to use oil revenues to support that transformation.

There have been - and continue to be - some serious errors made in the way we discourage exploration by continually changing the tax regime for oil companies and both main parties have been guilty of that in the past. But the idea that the UK could ever have used our il revenues in the way the Norwegians did is just fanciful.

Mind you, that applies to the UK as a whole. Scotland with its much smaller population and much closer in size to Norway would have been another matter entirely and it is entirely possible that they could indeed have done what the Norwegians did if they had had the opportunity.
  • Options
    Here's Farage on drugs.He could be on to a winner.

http://order-order.com/2014/02/12/farage-loves-drugs/
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    From Byrne's "I'm afraid there is no money" to Cameron's "Money is no object" is just under four years.

It is all too easy to forget just how competently HMS United Kingdom has been sailed under Cap'n Cam and Chief Navigator Os.

Had the two been around in 1912, the RMS Titanic would still be afloat and plying its trade between Southampton and New York.

And poor little Ed, thinking he is Cap'n Cam's iceberg. As big a threat to safe shipping as the lump of ice in Mr. Brooke's Black Bush is to good taste.
  • Options
    For those not familiar with the oil industry - resources and reserves are not the same. Reserves are related to price, in that if a project is not economic then reserves are not bookable and will not be produced - no matter how many millions of barrels there are under the ground (resources).

Scotland needs a high oil price as existing production gets a higher cashflow and the reserves / new projects picture looks healthier. What is indisputable is that annual total production flows are in decline. There are quite a number of projects coming along that will help flatten the decline and stretch it out (such as Claire and Schiehalion). Let's hope for a very long time. But if the oil price were to collapse for some reason (Shia Iraq/Iran deliberately overproducing to drive it down and ruin sunni Saudi Arabia, oil shale bonanza goes global, someone invents an electric car battery that doesn't suck, etc) then Scotland's economic prospects would take a sudden nosedive.
  • Options

Financier said:

Gee strange day Divvie, I totally agree with that post.
    We are truly at the end of times.
    Didn't Nostradamus have a prophesy about 'The tin islands of St. George half sunk'?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

From Byrne's "I'm afraid there is no money" to Cameron's "Money is no object" is just under four years.

It is all too easy to forget just how competently HMS United Kingdom has been sailed under Cap'n Cam and Chief Navigator Os.

Had the two been around in 1912, the RMS Titanic would still be afloat and plying its trade between Southampton and New York.

And poor little Ed, thinking he is Cap'n Cam's iceberg. As big a threat to safe shipping as the lump of ice in Mr. Brooke's Black Bush is to good taste.

Haven't you got some banks to break up ? ;-)
  • Options
    Looks like a pig vs philosopher fight is looming!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The last few days really show the ludicrous extent the Establishment pampers the South East, at the expense of everyone else. Apparently "money is no object" as soon as they have to face a bit of hardship and their luxurious middle-class lifestyles are slightly interrupted for a few days, but any other region faces devastating hardship and they're told to suck it up because the main priority is bringing down the deficit to satisfy "the markets".

No wonder the Scots are thinking about going independent. Hell, sometimes I find myself hoping wistfully about northern England breaking away, so that we're not trampled over by the will of middle-class darlings from the Home Counties.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Patrick said:

Looks like a pig vs philosopher fight is looming!

I'm somewhat unlikely to fear a fight with someone who flounced off in the huff and is still looking for excuses even now for why.
    But since you seem to want to keep raising it, knock yourself out.

See who comes out best after this little lot and whether someone who got on their high horse about leaving because they said things weren't being done in an "acceptable manner" has any right to start whining again now.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/06/13/why-i-have-had-a-punt-at-16-1-that-theresa-may-will-be-next-pm/
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

Can't be many.

There is little doubt that some of the 8% (of UKIP's support that comes from Labour) will be working class (and some not).

But gently point out on PB that this is obviously less of a problem for Labour than the 45% 2010 Tories and some people lose their marbles.
    You're correct that, in terms purely of 2010 voters, UKIP have taken most of their votes from the Tories. But, crucially, even if those people voted Tory in 2010, many of them voted Labour between 1997-2005. In fact, I think someone made the point the other day that many UKIP voters were the archetypal traditional "swing voter": I think that's right, certainly many of the places they performed most strongly in last year's local elections are in traditional Labour/Tory marginals. The type of working-class rural/coastal seats, which rightly feel the Tory Toffs just stick up for the rich, but who feel alienated by 21st-century Labour's urbanised/metropolitan image, are very susceptible to UKIP.
  • Options
    GildasGildas Posts: 92
    "doth protesteth"???
  • Options
    Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 20h

Cameron 07/03/2013: "There is no magic money tree." 11/02/2014: "Money is no object." Maybe all the rain has helped the money tree to grow
  • Options
    I always enjoy catfights between other posters on PB. I just buy popcorn, steer clear and enjoy.

(but I do genuinely wonder how you some and some other posters can even remember let alone quote what other posters have said. Are you keeping a database? A little black book of who said what? I can't remember what I said myself 10 minutes ago let alone what you said this morning. This ability is either very impressive or very scary).
  • Options
    Gildas said:

"doth protesteth"???

Not discreet enough? At least OGH didn't tweet it. :)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Cameron 07/03/2013: "There is no magic money tree." 11/02/2014: "Money is no object." Maybe all the rain has helped the money tree to grow

What an utterly juvenile and stupid point. Talk about willful misunderstanding.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Patrick said:

(but I do genuinely wonder how you some and some other posters can even remember let alone quote what other posters have said.

Because I don't have the memory of a goldfish and I usually remember the date (roughly) and thereby the threads.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

TOPPING said:

Hugh said:

Can't be many.

Huh?

Why "excluding Lib Dem defectors"? Can we also deduct people who previously supported other parties from the Tory score?
    Because these are people who have a track record of running a mile from supporting a party of power when they've had to make the decision. They *might* stay the distance through to 2015. If they do, they'll peel off immediately afterwards. That would be good enough to get Labour into power but unless Labour's underlying weakness is addressed, it leaves them extremely vulnerable.
    At least a chunk of those defectors were left-leaning ones who ran a mile from a Conservative coalition partner rather than a part of power.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The last few days really show the ludicrous extent the Establishment pampers the South East, at the expense of everyone else. Apparently "money is no object" as soon as they have to face a bit of hardship and their luxurious middle-class lifestyles are slightly interrupted for a few days, but any other region faces devastating hardship and they're told to suck it up because the main priority is bringing down the deficit to satisfy "the markets".

No wonder the Scots are thinking about going independent. Hell, sometimes I find myself hoping wistfully about northern England breaking away, so that we're not trampled over by the will of middle-class darlings from the Home Counties.

London should declare independence. We're not appreciated by those that we subsidise and we could use our resources far more effectively to address the very real needs that London has.

You can keep the pound. I expect a separate London currency could just about survive.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    taffys said:

Doesn't look like some tories are too happy with it. Perhaps they are all juvenile and stupid?
    Times News ‏@TimesNewsdesk 35m

Tory alarm over Cameron’s ‘money no object’ pledge for the floods http://thetim.es/1bWySc9
    Talk about willful panic.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Misunderstanding what? That south-easterners are a special case, and that, when they're in need, they are more entitled to the normal rules being suspended than when anyone else is in need?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    TGOHF said:

But Nigel - your party will do more to ease Labour back into power than Labour themselves....

Funny thing is, that if in 20 years we look back at who was most responsible for Labour winning a majority at the 2015 general election, the two most obvious candidates at the moment are Jesse Norman and Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    Perhaps Mr Farage doth protesteth too much. Ford and Goodwin highlight UKIP’s weaknesses – modern elections require good on the ground organisation, excellent data and committed skilled activists.

Did OGH actually bother to read the article he's linked or did he just scan it for a piece he could spin through his yellow stained glasses? His propaganda is becoming even more bizarre......

Ford and Goodwin confirm the obvious. UKIP had no chance of winning this seat (despite the spinning of various blue and yellow pundits). So they are just like the Tories and Libdems in that seat go figure.......!
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Gildas said:

"doth protesteth"???

Thorny ethics.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

What a terrible thread.

I never said at any point I wouldn't be back until he was banned. That is a figment of your imagination.
    I'll be generous and give you one more chance before I quote you in full.

Are you sticking by that version?

Yes or No?

EDIT

Nah, you don't deserve another chance.

"I never said at any point" actually turns out to be..

"I might get dragged back for certain big events (like the Scottish referendum), or, more likely, if certain other posters get banned or move on"

Would you like all the rest where you hurl abuse hither and yon because nobody will do as you petulantly demand? There's plenty of it.

Feel free to weasel away with excuses now. :)

It can be painful to walk certain people through things sometimes.

Do you see the very statement you quoted? Do you see how it includes the words "or move on"? Yes? Well that means that I said there was a way that I could be back despite him not being banned. See? So the idea that I said I wouldn't be back until he was banned is incorrect. As much as you try to throw insulting words about, you can't change the laws of logic.

I have never disputed that I called for the guy to be banned. I think that saying other posters salivate at child abuse really goes beyond the basic requirement for civil discourse, even in a liberally moderated forum. I understand you struggle to appreciate civil discourse, since the vast majority of your posts just involve mocking others, so I won't push on this point. Conveying the meanings from sentence structure seems difficult enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Danny565 said:

And they wonder why the South East (otherwise known as the DLZ) is virtually a 'Labour Free Zone'. Dear oh dear.....
  • Options
    Interesting comment from Professor Iain McLean, of Nuffield College, Oxford, which echoes something which I've been wondering about:

I think the Scottish Government’s timetable is not realistic. One sufficient reason that it’s not realistic is their principal counter-party will be the government of the rest of the UK (rUK), as it becomes. The government of the rest of the UK, as we all know, runs until May 2015 and then there will be another government whose composition we don’t know. The next UK government may have different policies, priorities, different attitudes to such questions as ... the currency and other enormous questions affecting the relationship between Scotland and rUK.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/feb/12/mps-question-welfare-and-housing-ministers-over-bedroom-tax-politics-live-blog
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

London should declare independence. We're not appreciated by those that we subsidise and we could use our resources far more effectively to address the very real needs that London has.

You can keep the pound. I expect a separate London currency could just about survive.
    What's with the "we Londoners" bit ? Your movements between here and Hungary suggest you're yet another East European taking advantage of this country's generous benefits system.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    tpfkar said:

TGOHF said:

Funny thing is, that if in 20 years we look back at who was most responsible for Labour winning a majority at the 2015 general election, the two most obvious candidates at the moment are Jesse Norman and Nigel Farage.
    Nope.

This shows you who with very telling shifts for labour, the tories and the kippers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

The bit you are looking for is when the kippers move away from 5% and where the lines start to shift and diverge dramatically just as labour and the tories seemed to be heading for a crossover.

Osbrowne's omnishambles.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,914

Perhaps Mr Farage doth protesteth too much. Ford and Goodwin highlight UKIP’s weaknesses – modern elections require good on the ground organisation, excellent data and committed skilled activists.

Did OGH actually bother to read the article he's linked or did he just scan it for a piece he could spin through his yellow stained glasses? His propaganda is becoming even more bizarre......

Ford and Goodwin confirm the obvious. UKIP had no chance of winning this seat (despite the spinnig of various blue and yellow pundits). So they are just like the Tories and Libdems in that seat go figure.......!

The crazy thing about OGH's obsession with criticising UKIP is that he obviously has some reckoning of betting probabilities, yet declares it terrible news for the distant second favourites when a 1/10 shot wins.... and expect people not to see through the spin!

If UKIP don't win the Euros, from a betting perspective you could say it was disappointing as they are a 45% chance. Even those odds suggest they are more likely not to win than they are to win.

If a by election were declared in a seat like South or North Thanet, or Boston & Skegness, and UKIP were Even money favs to win and came second, that would be terrible. But coming second in Wythenshawe???? Crazy talk

• Options
    antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

I'm not sure where London would be without the skilled commuters from the rest of South East England. Bear in mind the place elected a hard left socialist as the last mayor, so you're living in fantasy land if you think you'd have good governance as an independent state. And where would London be without the neighbouring police forces that had to be called in when London's underclass revolted?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,019
    edited February 2014
    antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

In the mode of gormless London commentators, the Jellied Eel? Or the Entitlement?

• Options

Interesting comment from Professor Iain McLean, of Nuffield College, Oxford, which echoes something which I've been wondering about:

I think the Scottish Government’s timetable is not realistic. One sufficient reason that it’s not realistic is their principal counter-party will be the government of the rest of the UK (rUK), as it becomes. The government of the rest of the UK, as we all know, runs until May 2015 and then there will be another government whose composition we don’t know. The next UK government may have different policies, priorities, different attitudes to such questions as ... the currency and other enormous questions affecting the relationship between Scotland and rUK.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/feb/12/mps-question-welfare-and-housing-ministers-over-bedroom-tax-politics-live-blog

I think too many people are making the mistake of taking what the Yes side say about process and policies in the event of a Yes too seriously. The bottom line is that unless Scotland declares independence unilaterally - which would be lunacy - it won't happen until there is an agreement. And there can only be an agreement if both sides agree. You can't put a time limit on that and you can't dictate the terms.

I would be genuinely shocked if the SNP did not know this. Of course they do. However, it obviously does not suit their purposes to say so. The only thing they are interested in right now is getting that Yes. Should they be successful, their positions on absolutely everything to do with separation will change the following day.

• Options
    trains between Liverpool and Manchester cancelled...
  • Options
    @Danny

The middle class in London are a lefty cohort. In fact I think London is the only region where ABs are solidly red. You do need us. We are your friends!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Hell, sometimes I find myself hoping wistfully about northern England breaking away, so that we're not trampled over by the will of middle-class darlings from the Home Counties. ''

You couldn't afford it sunshine. In order to finance itself an independent north of England would have to go through an austerity that would make what's happening now look like a picnic.

Those middle class darlings pay your benefits
  • Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

I'm not sure where London would be without the skilled commuters from the rest of South East England. Bear in mind the place elected a hard left socialist as the last mayor, so you're living in fantasy land if you think you'd have good governance as an independent state. And where would London be without the neighbouring police forces that had to be called in when London's underclass revolted?
    Somewhere by the shores of lake Balaton a lawyer is laughing and sipping a glass of Tokaj before he cast his next troll bait.
  • Options

The only thing they are interested in right now is getting that Yes. Should they be successful, their positions on absolutely everything to do with separation will change the following day.

They won't be the only ones.

• Options
    GildasGildas Posts: 92
    Mick_Pork said:

Gildas said:

"doth protesteth"???

Not discreet enough? At least OGH didn't tweet it. :)
    Is there someone here who can translate this bizarre Scotch drool into English? Thx.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

In the mode of gormless London commentators, the Jellied Eel? Or the Entitlement?

The Wen.
  • Options

I think too many people are making the mistake of taking what the Yes side say about process and policies in the event of a Yes too seriously. The bottom line is that unless Scotland declares independence unilaterally - which would be lunacy - it won't happen until there is an agreement. And there can only be an agreement if both sides agree. You can't put a time limit on that and you can't dictate the terms.

I would be genuinely shocked if the SNP did not know this. Of course they do. However, it obviously does not suit their purposes to say so. The only thing they are interested in right now is getting that Yes. Should they be successful, their positions on absolutely everything to do with separation will change the following day.

Based on performance to date I would be astounded if the SNP had thought that far ahead. They've flown so much by the seat of their pants all you can see is bare arse.
  • Options
    Cameron convenes government emergency committee for 5.30pm...
  • Options

The only thing they are interested in right now is getting that Yes. Should they be successful, their positions on absolutely everything to do with separation will change the following day.

They won't be the only ones.

I agree. Should it happen, we'll almost certainly have a currency union.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

Somewhere by the shores of lake Balaton a lawyer is laughing and sipping a glass of Tokaj before he cast his next troll bait.
    Ah yes that's the same London who has the highest PESA expenditure per capita across England and 27% higher than the rest of the South East (which just happens to be the lowest).

• Options

@Danny

The middle class in London are a lefty cohort. In fact I think London is the only region where ABs are solidly red. You do need us. We are your friends!

I should clarify that by south east, I'm not including London (or any of the other few major cities in the south). I'm mainly talking about people from leafy home counties, who often are very selfish and spiteful, insisting on the poor and other regions getting clobbered, but then expecting to be first in the queue for government handouts as soon as they get into trouble.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Socrates said:

It can be painful to walk certain people through things sometimes.

Not nearly as painful as watching someone pathetically pretend they didn't flounce off while blaming it on a poster who was not banned. Of which there is reams of you doing so on that thread.
    Socrates said:

Do you see the very statement you quoted? Do you see how it includes the words "or move on"? Yes?

Doesn't quite square with your petulant assertion that "I never said at any point I wouldn't be back until he was banned" does it? You can certainly try to weasel around it by pretending that including "or moved on" somehow means you didn't also say that, but I'm afraid it just doesn't look very convincing. Next time try to remember what you said before shooting your mouth off in such an amusingly pompous manner.
    Socrates said:

I have never disputed that I called for the guy to be banned.

Correct. So If you still can't see the huge irony in that and your coming back now pretending you have somehow been 'vindicated' then I can't help you. Rest assured it is very funny indeed
    Socrates said:

"I understand you struggle to appreciate civil discourse, since the vast majority of your posts just involve mocking others, so I won't push on this point. "

By which you mean you want to pitifully flounce off this discussion before I show very clearly what your idea of "civil discourse" was when you flounced off the site. A wise move since you left all manner of arrogant and less than civil hostages to fortune that completely disprove your feeble attempts to justify your coming back now.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014

That's a fair point, but, even putting aside that particular date, the question of whether serious negotiations could even start in the last few months of this parliament is an interesting one.

The timescales also potentially interact with the EU renegotiation and referendum, if we have a Conservative government as well as a Scottish Yes vote. The idea of simultaneously negotiating both would be a mandarin's nightmare, I imagine. Still, I guess the double is a very remote possibility.

More widely, in respect of other issues like the currency, I think the point is more that the SNP seem to have left plenty of exposed flank which the other side can attack.
  • Options

Based on performance to date I would be astounded if the SNP had thought that far ahead. They've flown so much by the seat of their pants all you can see is bare arse.

I think it's more a case of constantly trying to second-guess what stands the best chance of getting the biggest number of people to say Yes.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

The inability of Londoners to realise how much they rely on rUK is unbelievable. Who's money do you think you're gambling with in the banking casinos? Who's pensions? Admittedly I'm sure London could remain an attractive place for global finance given the lax regulation and inability to prosecute fraud. The drug cartels and oligarchs would feel right at home. London has virtually no energy resources. What would you do? Build a load of nuclear power stations around the M25. You could buy it from the rest of the UK or France perhaps. Same with water.
  • Options
    I think one of my gutters is just about to be torn away...
  • Options

I think too many people are making the mistake of taking what the Yes side say about everything to do with separation will change the following day.

I think it's more a case of constantly trying to second-guess what stands the best chance of getting the biggest number of people to say Yes.

Getting them to say yes is one thing managing expectations afterwards is another. The SNP have overpromised on Indy and can only underdeliver. My money's on they'll blame the english.
  • Options

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

Ah yes that's the same London who has the highest PESA expenditure per capita across England and 27% higher than the rest of the South East (which just happens to be the lowest).

That's the same London that contributes 22% of the country's GDP on 13% of the population:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_London
  • Options

That's a fair point, but, even putting aside that particular date, the question of whether serious negotiations could even start in the last few months of this parliament is an interesting one. More widely, in respect of other issues like the currency, I think the point is more that the SNP seem to have left plenty of exposed flank which the other side can attack.

The timescales also potentially interact with the EU renegotiation and referendum, if we have a Conservative government as well as a Scottish Yes vote. The idea of simultaneously negotiating both would be a mandarin's nightmare, I imagine. Still, I guess the double is a very remote possibility.

It's going to be hellishly complicated, that's for sure. Take oil. Everyone talks blithely about the oil money, but it does not come from a single source and a lot of it is tied up in corporation tax. That means companies not based in Scotland will have to move there in order to pay it into Scottish coffers. How will that be done?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    RodCrosby said:

Dave chairs COBRA! Grrrr............. he's so manly when he wants to be.

Full marks to Crosby on repackaging the effete public schoolboy image. Expect a Tory lead amongst women voters anytime soon.

• Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Crosby, whereabouts are you? We've got a fair bit of wind, but thankfully nothing quite as horrendous as elsewhere.
  • Options
    The fact is that Labour has just won a local by-election in Thetford,an "overspill" town,taking the seat back from UKIP.
    More to the point, the current climate change induced weather has caused even more problems.My concern is that are these useless old Etonians competent enough to deal with it?
    General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015 3m
    There are currently 42,000 homes in S Wales, 8,100 in the South West and 10,000 homes in the West Midlands currently without power
    #ukstorm
  • Options
    Sérgio ‏@matptuk

I am surprised #UKIP hasn't blamed the #floods on Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants yet. Oh wait, they did blame the gays a few weeks ago!
  • Options

I think too many people are making the mistake of taking what the Yes side say about everything to do with separation will change the following day.

Getting them to say yes is one thing managing expectations afterwards is another. The SNP have overpromised on Indy and can only underdeliver. My money's on they'll blame the english.

Once the initial euphoria has died down, there may well be a lot of disappointment at a lot of things that happen. But Scotland will still be independent and that is all that really matters.

• Options

I think the Scottish Government’s timetable is not realistic. One sufficient reason that it’s between Scotland and rUK.

Once the initial euphoria has died down, there may well be a lot of disappointment at a lot of things that happen. But Scotland will still be independent and that is all that really matters.

It's all that matters to a Nat, but then afterwards the chickens come home to roost and everyone one else picks up the pieces.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Dave chairs COBRA! Grrrr............. he's so manly when he wants to be.

Full marks to Crosby on repackaging the effete public schoolboy image. Expect a Tory lead amongst women voters anytime soon.

David Cameron made the strategic mistake of projecting himself in the style of Hugh Grant, when he would have done better to project himself in the style of Colin Firth.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Crosby, whereabouts are you? We've got a fair bit of wind, but thankfully nothing quite as horrendous as elsewhere.

Blundellsands, directly facing the Irish Sea, and I am right on the seafront. My phone app says gusts of 57 mph, but it feels a lot more...
  • Options

. Once the initial euphoria has died down, there may well be a lot of disappointment at a lot of things that happen.But Scotland will still be independent and that is all that really matters.

You forget the gullible Eurosceptics who placed so much faith in Cammie's Cast Iron Pledges.
    When have they ever been disappointed?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    antifrank said:

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Danny565 said:

That's the same London that contributes 22% of the country's GDP on 13% of the population:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_London
    Well given public expenditure is part of what makes up GDP that's hardly surprising then is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_domestic_product

Thats why GDP is such a poor measure of prosperity because it can be influenced by profligate government.
This discussion has been closed.