Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It has been working class voters who have been the main dri

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    Oh no! Don't tell me Scotland's favourite libertarian floating voter with a fiscal conservative twist is going to be venturing north to campaign against independence!

The game's up, Mick...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    tim,

Nice to know that Boston is such a Shangri-La. I was born and brought up in Boston and extended my family are still there, so I visit regularly (I can give you the best route there from Merseyside if you want to visit this paradise).

Judging from the views of my family, friends (who are generally soft Labour voters) and pub-goers, they must be all be anecdotal people. Being so close, they probably don't see the bigger picture.

Still, it might be worth keeping an idea on the Lincolnshire jury.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Tactically useless but I split my ticket, 1 Kipper 1 CON. GF who is a LD/Lab swing voter voted double kipper.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Plato said:

What time do we expect earliest/most declarations?

Don't know whether you saw my earlier post on declaration times from the PA:

http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/local_2013_by_time.php
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Plato

Prepare lots of coffee.

Lincolnshire expected to be first...finish by 2:30 AM...which usually means 3:30...but we will get single divisions before that hour

Gloucestershire plans to finish at 6AM...then 4 hours of sleep...and be ready for Friday's declarations!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Mick_Pork said:

Those not interested in inept Cameroonian spinners might find this useful.

Nick Golding ‏@NickGolding 1h

Staying up for the first #vote13 results? Here's a guide to the current chambers of the 1st councils to count: http://www.lgcplus.com/news/lgc-live-local-election-results/5058206.article?blocktitle=Latest-Local-Government-News&contentID=2249
    I'm slightly shocked that Hampshire county council has/had 24 LD councillors.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Sam,

Boston may have been a shithole before mass immigration but it was our shithole.

Although that may be just be nostalgia.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    If UKIP beat the LDs in the elections tomorrow is that the first time the LDs have not come in the top 3 in a national election outside of the Euros?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Plato

Prepare lots of coffee.

Lincolnshire expected to be first...finish by 2:30 AM...which usually means 3:30...but we will get single divisions before that hour

Gloucestershire plans to finish at 6AM...then 4 hours of sleep...and be ready for Friday's declarations!

Cripes - I've bought in some beers/Chinese to zap and will have done these by 0100 AM - 0200 at the latest - how are they so crap at counting - its a tiny % of the GE vote...

I expect to fall asleep about midnight and resurface about 3AM
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @AveryLP

I think it is better to put your reply at the top and then have the quoted bit.

Also it really helps if posters do a bit of editing on the quoted text. You don't always need all of it.

• Options
    AndyJS - Well poetic justice will see those MPs lose their seats by a smaller margin than the UKIP vote
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Plato said:

Awww @MickPork - I see only you Disliked my comment - are you feeling lonely now?

Hardly since I wasn't the one who only recently lied on here yet again about putting posters on ignore using the widget. That would be you in case the penny still hasn't dropped yet.

*crying with laughter etc.*

;^ )

• Options
    edited May 2013

Around half of them are in Eastleigh and Winchester.

• Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

@Sam

There's no point in complaining when I post the crime,education,maternity facts after you've posted some anecdotes.

If you don't want the facts looking at then best not post the anecdotes.

Tim you are obviously an intelligent person, so I would like you to consider this...

You may well be right that people want lower crime, higher standards of education, more maternity wards, whatever it may be, and it may be true that mass immigration has improved the UK in all these areas, you obviously know better than I.

But the point that I, and I think many other anti mass immigration people would argue, is that human beings also value their sense of belonging, and it isnt a factor that stats telling of "improvement" in all areas can brush aside.

Lets say someone is complaining that their house is drafty, the brickwork is crumbling, and the lawn is untidy, and they could do with sorting it out. "tim" home improvements services overhears this in the pub, and offers his services. He goes to the house, boards up the windows, pebble dashes the brickwork and paves over the lawn. The homeowner fills out a form afterwards admitting that their home is less drafty, the brickwork is no longer crumnbling and the problem with the long grass and bushes has gone.. You think, "Job done", but they are miserable, they dont recognise their home anymore, cant see out of the windows, hate the pebbledashing and they miss their garden..

You may scoff, but plenty of people feel this way, including many people from immigrant descended families...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/27/support-poll-support-far-right

• Options
    I fear for Cornwall and Devon....considering how long they took for PCC elections. Will they finish before Friday's midnight?!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Great interactive chart in next thread - Harry Hayfield's guide to local election night.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Holy Snake Bite

What happens when you get bitten - if you don't like exposed bones and tendons - don't click.

https://twitter.com/BearGrylls/status/329253938576637952
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Virgin Airways' trolley dollies to get a Vivienne Westwood makeover.

The outfit to be worn by female flight attendants features an “extremely feminine” silhouette, according to Virgin.

“The jacket enhances the female form with the aid of cleverly placed bust pleats, a nipped in waist and a curved hip line,” the Crawley, England-based company said. “The pencil skirt, which looks deceptively simple from the front, then reveals a cheeky dart and double pleat at the back.”

The male cabin crew don't get quite the same treatment. Their lot is to wear a burgundy three-piece suit made of material recycled from plastic bottles.

Well that's a novel route around the employment discrimination laws, Mr. Branson.
  • Options
    This blog features amazingly detailed profiles of the Cornwall electoral divisions being contested today:

http://catholicleft.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    No full preview of the 118 local by-elections?! :-)

Great interactive chart in next thread - Harry Hayfield's guide to local election night.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited May 2013

I'm slightly shocked that Hampshire county council has/had 24 LD councillors.

Apparently so.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/yourcountycouncillors.htm

BTW if you subscribe for the localgovernmentchronicle site you will likely get one of the most up to date and fast elections results services and I believe it also has an exclusive Rallings and Thrasher 'top local election results to watch for' article as well.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

I fear for Cornwall and Devon....considering how long they took for PCC elections. Will they finish before Friday's midnight?!

Perhaps their algorithm needs oiling, Andrea?

• Options
    The jobsworths who run elections these days are obsessive about spending hours on end checking postal votes before they even get round to counting the votes cast on election day itself. I don't think they need to take as long as they do, but they're probably afraid of being sued if they make a mistake.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    edited May 2013
    CD13 said:

Sam,

Boston may have been a shithole before mass immigration but it was our shithole.

Although that may be just be nostalgia.

Dont worry, the agents will be round you place soon with some correcting fluid for your brain...

MASS IMMIGRATION IS GOOD.... WE ALL LOVE IT... THE ONLY PARTY AGAINST IT IS NOT GROWING RAPIDLY IN PARTY MEMBERSHIP & MAKING HUGE LEAPS IN EVERY ELECTION AND OPINION POLL THIS YEAR
  • Options

Around half of them are in Eastleigh and Winchester.

So tonight we have the result of Eastleigh: the rematch. :-)

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    sam said:

AndyJS said:

UKIP ought to be able to do well in a place like Lincoln.

I dont think so.... I watched this episode of Question Time, and Mary Beard says its all hunky dory there. Charming facts, surveys and opinion polls say so... There is a rather annoying real person who lets an anecdote get in the way mind you... pfff anecdotal evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QYCTDXq56w
    stats meet reality
  • Options
    @anotherDave

Yes it's possible UKIP could win the most votes in the Eastleigh constituency today, at the second time of asking.
  • Options
    Plato - On any objective analysis the serial killer has to be worst, taking multiple lives with intent, whatever the particular hierarchies of the prisoners themselves. Indeed, there are all sorts of terrible crimes, but a recent yougov poll showed it remained only murder for which the public would bring back the rope
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

@anotherDave

Yes it's possible UKIP could win the most votes in the Eastleigh constituency today, at the second time of asking.

It's when they really took off, so it would seem appropriate.

• Options
    That's for Plato. Mrs Bluebell Wood is busy taking pics of cats in South Shields.

https://twitter.com/SarahChampionMP/status/330012596570832897/photo/1

I suppose Labour believe they have won...otherwise they should spend the last few hours in a better way than tweeting this:

"Just canvassed the best garden ever on #labourdoorstep with @SarahChampionMP & @PaulUpex in South Shields @shieldslabour"

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

@malc

I was going to like that, but then I thought you might hit me :-)

Alan, after my post I cannot use Like button on yours
  • Options
    new thread.
This discussion has been closed.