Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impacts of the floods on the 2015 General Election

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impacts of the floods on the 2015 General Election

The Times have a piece today (££) which has analysed the constituencies that have suffered most with the recent extreme weather and there’s quite a few marginals affected.  Out of the Tories 40 most marginal seats, 15 have been affected by the recent extreme weather.  For the Lib Dems, out of their 20 most marginal seats, 12 have been affected by the recent extreme weather.

Read the full story here

Comments

• First!
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Second!
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Third!
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    If I was a Tory MP for the likes of Stockton, Cardiff or Plymouth, I would be getting very worried. Much as the PBTories squealed in horror when I said this last week, the perception that the Tories have given special treatment to the south east is very much out there...or it's hardened an already existing perception I should say.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    None, because by May 2015 it will all be over and done with, long forgotten, and because it's not a key socio-economic party-oriented issue.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited February 2014
    JohnLoony said:

None, because by May 2015 it will all be over and done with, long forgotten, and because it's not a key socio-economic party-oriented issue.

How dare you state such nonsense Mr Loony. Only a terminally ridiculous PBWotsit could state such outrageous lies.

As any fule knows, and the great British public will clearly acknowledge at election time, the root cause of this problem is the lack of investment in infrastructure during the period when the Wotsit Party were in power. Moreover, the Wotsits left a tangle of bureaucracy that meant at critical periods, local and central government have not worked efficiently together. Those Wotsits who are in power at local and national level have hardly helped by making a mess of all the key decisions since the crisis broke. They are a bunch of shoddy amateurs and it is costing Britain dearly.

Also, let us not forget the hot air that the Wotsits have been making about climate change, but to no avail in terms of practical policies. During their last period of office, where was the long-term green investment that could prevent extreme weather in the future? They also failed to take leadership in world affairs by getting the USA and China to agree to serious emissions reductions.

We PBThingies may laugh at their ineptitude, but we must stifle our giggles as the seriousness of the task ahead of us becomes clear. Unless the Thingy Party wins the 2015 election, Britain will literally be up the creek.

Fortunately the hardest-hit communities have recognised the Thingy Party for our leadership and the practical, action-oriented approach that we stand for. They have been swayed by the knee-deep photo-opportunities that our senior politicians have waded into, and now realise how sincerely we care.* While the Wotsits offer more incompetence and pandemonium, only the Thingies can deliver joined-up government that will help local people co-ordinate with government agencies to strategise synergistically against any future extreme weather events. A Thingy government post 2015 will be able to restore the defences that the Wotsits had eroded through their long-term neglect. Only the vision of the Thingy Party can return Britain to a respected place on the world stage, and force the large, polluting countries to acknowledge their responsibility to humanity by cutting CO2.

Overall the message is clear. Down with the Wotsits. Vote Thingy.

* Fortunately the public was not foolish enough to be swayed by the opportunistic PR stunts of soaked-through Wotsit has-beens. How pathetic they looked in their damp attire, pretending to care sincerely about people well out of their natural habitat. Their deceitful ruse was revealed by how "fish out of the water" they appeared; all the Normal politicians are Thingy.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    A casualty of last week's storms -

Ike's tree, the loblolly pine on the 17th fairway at Augusta National Golf Club, fell victim to the ice storm and has been cut down and removed.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BrookesTimes: My cartoon Tuesday @TheTimes: Michty Moose Salmond is lost in space.... http://t.co/mkkLZIF612
  • Britain's two leading business organisations have dealt a blow to Alex Salmond in his fightback against the rejection by Britain's three main political parties of a currency union with an independent Scotland.

The leaders of the Confederation of British Industry and the Institute of Directors both warned that a currency union would be "unstable" as David Cameron said that the Scottish first minister was "now a man without a plan".

In a direct challenge to the Scottish first minister, Salmond was told that his warnings of increased transaction charges for businesses on both sides of the border were outweighed by the disadvantages of creating a currency union outside a full political union.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/17/business-leaders-alex-salmond-currency-union

Yes, we all know that the CBI and IoD are greatly respected voices of authority among Scottish swing voters. Good grief. You lot really haven't got the faintest clue about the task ahead of you.
    Nor do you if you think you are getting a currency union.....

So far, who is in favour:

Salmond
    SNP
    Scottish voters

Who is against:

Cameron
    Osborne
    Balls
    Alexander
    CBI
    IOD
    HMT
    England/Wales voters.

But Salmond is right....and all of them are wrong.....
    Please note that, as usual, Salmond and the SNP are on the same side as the Scottish voters. Then note that Cameron, Osborne, Balls, Alexander (a Scottish MP!) and Her Majesty's Treasury are against the Scottish voters. Then have a good long think about what is about to happen on 18 September. Go on, you can do it: try very, very hard to actually think.

Incidentally, I would not be too cocky about what E&W (&NI) voters want if I were you. They are generally much more pleasant, sensible and pragmatic than their elected representatives. And not nearly as nasty, vindictive and bullying.

Please note that, as usual, Salmond and the SNP are on the same side as the Scottish voters.

Please note that, as usual, Salmond and the SNP are selling a fantasy they are not in a position to deliver.

If the Scottish voters fall for it, so be it.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Britain's two leading business organisations have dealt a blow to Alex Salmond in his fightback against the rejection by Britain's three main political parties of a currency union with an independent Scotland.

The leaders of the Confederation of British Industry and the Institute of Directors both warned that a currency union would be "unstable" as David Cameron said that the Scottish first minister was "now a man without a plan".

In a direct challenge to the Scottish first minister, Salmond was told that his warnings of increased transaction charges for businesses on both sides of the border were outweighed by the disadvantages of creating a currency union outside a full political union.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/17/business-leaders-alex-salmond-currency-union

Yes, we all know that the CBI and IoD are greatly respected voices of authority among Scottish swing voters. Good grief. You lot really haven't got the faintest clue about the task ahead of you.
    Nor do you if you think you are getting a currency union.....

So far, who is in favour:

Salmond
    SNP
    Scottish voters

Who is against:

Cameron
    Osborne
    Balls
    Alexander
    CBI
    IOD
    HMT
    England/Wales voters.

But Salmond is right....and all of them are wrong.....
    Please note that, as usual, Salmond and the SNP are on the same side as the Scottish voters. Then note that Cameron, Osborne, Balls, Alexander (a Scottish MP!) and Her Majesty's Treasury are against the Scottish voters. Then have a good long think about what is about to happen on 18 September. Go on, you can do it: try very, very hard to actually think.

Incidentally, I would not be too cocky about what E&W (&NI) voters want if I were you. They are generally much more pleasant, sensible and pragmatic than their elected representatives. And not nearly as nasty, vindictive and bullying.

According to the polls Scottish voters appear to favour the currency union they already have - as part of the UK - that may change but one awaits the next polls with interest.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited February 2014
    Edit
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    O/T:

"RT @STForeignDesk #Thai police officer killed by gunshot in #Bangkok clash: Police chief"

bit.ly/1ckfAxD pic.twitter.com/kAtyL8w7s1
  • Could we have a like button for My Burning Ears?
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2014
    MBE - "Overall the message is clear. Down with the Wotsits. Vote Thingy."

Hear, hear.
  • More positive press coverage for Michael and Sandra Howard in today's Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2561685/Love-sight-Its-myth-How-quickly-did-fall-half-Six-couples-utterly-enchanting-stories.html

As was being suggested here a couple of days ago .... is summat afoot?
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Tim_B said:

A casualty of last week's storms -

Ike's tree, the loblolly pine on the 17th fairway at Augusta National Golf Club, fell victim to the ice storm and has been cut down and removed.

That's a damn shame! That tree has been a fixture for years, and has on occasion proved the downfall of leading golfers on the last round of the Masters.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I think TSE ,that you can say that I brought up the damage the floods would probably do to the coalition, before anyone else, more than two weeks ago on PB.
    I said it would prove a fine opportunity for UKIP to advance in the flood-hit region, and I still say it.
  • Especially with more coverage about the cuts coming out. A £3bn bill directly attributable to £100m of cuts, not good....
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection Countdown :

2 hours
  • "As we can see in a lot of the seats, the seats are where the Tories and the Lib Dems are in second place to their coalition allies, so if either party can frame the blame game against their coalition partners, there could be a bonus for them."

Or, more likely I would think, there could be a large swing towards a third-party. Given that these floods have primarily affected the South, where Labour is currently weak, that third party could be UKIP.

On the other hand, UKIP haven't had a boost in the polls in the way that Hague's Tories enjoyed during the fuel crisis of 2000, say. Why is that?

A majority say that the Coalition have handled the floods badly, but perhaps that is a marginal judgement and most people recognise that with record rainfall it would have been damn hard to handle the floods well.

"My caveats are that the 2001 Foot and Mouth crisis started a few months before and continued during the General Election campaign, whereas hopefully the flooding and associated problems will soon end and not continue until May 2015!"

The word from the Environment Agency is that the ground is so saturated across much of the south of England that there will be groundwater flooding problems for months to come. These won't be as dramatic as the "out of bank" state of the Severn and Thames rivers, but while the news cameras will largely ignore it the people affected will not be able to.

Incidentally, Monbiot has another excellent article on the flooding, with a video on the Guardian (warning: video autoplays and starts with an annoying advert).
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    MikeK said:

I think TSE ,that you can say that I brought up the damage the floods would probably do to the coalition, before anyone else, more than two weeks ago on PB.
    I said it would prove a fine opportunity for UKIP to advance in the flood-hit region, and I still say it.

Surely it's one issue where the Tories are getting the flack and the LibDems, where there's a hazy perception of "Green-ess", avoiding it.
  • David L
    Please see my comment on the Scottish currency issue that I mistakenly left at the top of the Miller thread this am.
    On thread, North Devon is imv a UKIP target.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Just depressing. UK education is falling miles behind the Far East.

"The children of UK professionals scored an average of 526 points in maths. But this was overshadowed by an average score of 656 registered by the children of professionals in Shanghai-China and 569 among children of the country’s elementary workers. The children of parents in unskilled jobs in the UK scored an average of 461, the equivalent of two and a half years behind."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/10645090/Chinas-poorest-beat-our-best-pupils.html
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,547

"As we can see in a lot of the seats, the seats are where the Tories and the Lib Dems are in second place to their coalition allies, so if either party can frame the blame game against their coalition partners, there could be a bonus for them."

Or, more likely I would think, there could be a large swing towards a third-party. Given that these floods have primarily affected the South, where Labour is currently weak, that third party could be UKIP.

On the other hand, UKIP haven't had a boost in the polls in the way that Hague's Tories enjoyed during the fuel crisis of 2000, say. Why is that?

A majority say that the Coalition have handled the floods badly, but perhaps that is a marginal judgement and most people recognise that with record rainfall it would have been damn hard to handle the floods well.

"My caveats are that the 2001 Foot and Mouth crisis started a few months before and continued during the General Election campaign, whereas hopefully the flooding and associated problems will soon end and not continue until May 2015!"

The word from the Environment Agency is that the ground is so saturated across much of the south of England that there will be groundwater flooding problems for months to come. These won't be as dramatic as the "out of bank" state of the Severn and Thames rivers, but while the news cameras will largely ignore it the people affected will not be able to.

Incidentally, Monbiot has another excellent article on the flooding, with a video on the Guardian (warning: video autoplays and starts with an annoying advert).

Is this the same Monbiot who said we should allow the levels' rivers to silt up to save the people downstream? Riiighhhht ...
    edited February 2014
    MikeK said:

What would a UKIP government do differently from the Conservatives, Lib Dems or Labour?

(Edit because I forgot Labour. Oh, how I wish ...)
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2014
    Which will cause the loss of most votes to the Coalition parties?

1 The floods?
    2 The reduced energy consumption (and therefore bills) after a very mild winter?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,684
    Scott_P said:

@BrookesTimes: My cartoon Tuesday @TheTimes: Michty Moose Salmond is lost in space.... http://t.co/mkkLZIF612

Turnip head has started early on denigrating Scotland today.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Depends if we get more floods next winter.

Most houses will be dry and repaired well before then.

Other 'events' will be dominating.

The budget is quite soon...
  • I really can't see this making much difference. The Coalition haven't been incompetent enough for it to cause terminal damage and it will be largely forgotten by next May.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited February 2014
    Good morning, everyone.

The second F1 test starts tomorrow. Huzzah!

Will Red Bull manage more than 10 laps at a time? Will the Caterham nose (vaguely) resemble a beluga? Will Maldonado crash into something?

Edited extra bit: oh, and I flicked Newsnight on to see if they'd covered Salmond's speech, and there was not a whisper about it. Regardless of your view on independence or Salmond himself, it was the most newsworthy political event yesterday and for Newsnight to appear not to cover it (I saw the headlines and then switched off) is pretty bloody poor.
    edited February 2014
    malcolmg said:

Laughing at Alex Salmond is not denigrating Scotland. Get a grip, man.

That's the talk of religious fanatics...
    @Mr_Eugenides: This referendum really is bringing out the worst in Scot nationalism. Crying "bully!" whenever someone disagrees with you is embarrassing.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    As polls seem to indicate that the public believe the floods to be in part due to global warming, the global warming sceptics of UKIP seem least likely to benefit electorally.

I do not see a lot of votes shifting over this. More likely is that by dominating the news agenda, and crowding out issues such as immigration, the UKIP surfers will stall.

MikeK said:

What would a UKIP government do differently from the Conservatives, Lib Dems or Labour?

(Edit because I forgot Labour. Oh, how I wish ...)
    Team GB beat Norway 6:5 in the mens curling play-off to reach the semi-finals.
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

So explain your hatred of Scotland, SNP and Salmond. Why do you continuously and gleefully post denigrating comments on Scotland. Any normal person would have found at least one positive thing about Scotland. Try to be rational re what the alternative is and what policies they have to improve Scotland. In fact try to post anything other than sneering about Scotland. I will not hold my breath.

1 hour 1 minute 1 second
    malcolmg said:

So explain your hatred of Scotland, SNP and Salmond.

There's your problem. Scotland /= SNP or Salmond

Compare and contrast

Islamic fundamentalist: A cartoon of The Prophet denigrates Islam

ScotNat FundaMentalist: A cartoon of Eck 'The Prophet' Salmond denigrates Scotland

Salmond is not Scotland.

I love Scotland. I have no love for Salmond. I haven't drunk the KoolAid. I don't believe his agenda is good for Scotland or Scots.
  • malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

So explain your hatred of Scotland, SNP and Salmond. Why do you continuously and gleefully post denigrating comments on Scotland. Any normal person would have found at least one positive thing about Scotland. Try to be rational re what the alternative is and what policies they have to improve Scotland. In fact try to post anything other than sneering about Scotland. I will not hold my breath.
    http://shirazsocialist.wordpress.com/

(You'll need to scroll down to the second article.)

• Danny565 said:
    The best chance Labour have to defeat Clegg is to vote Tory.
  • As if to prove how bizarre his claims are becoming, Mr Salmond included a promise that “his” independent Scotland would never regard England, Wales and Northern Ireland as “foreign”. That’s rich, indeed, coming from a man who plans to continue to charge students from those three up to £36,000 for university tuition at Scottish universities, while those from France, Spain, Italy, Germany, the Republic of Ireland, and other EU countries would continue to study for free.

Why would those Brits want to share their currency – and the risks such an arrangement would bring – with the government of a country that discriminates against their kids like that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/10644062/Smart-Alex-Salmond-has-had-a-nasty-run-in-with-reality.html
  • Danny565 said:
    The best chance Labour have to defeat Clegg is to vote Tory.
    It's a Daily Mole plot to divert LD activists to Hallam rather than the marginal they're supposed to be campaigning in.

• HuwHuw Posts: 1
    Maybe I'm reading this post wrongly, but I live in Northamptonshire and I'm scratching my head as to how Northampton North and Corby are on this list. We had a few gusts of wind, and it was raining a bit, but apart from the odd field there is hardly any evidence of flooding...
  • EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    JackW said:

1 hour 1 minute 1 second

Struggling to contain my excitement!
  • Mr. Easterross, don't get too giddy and over-excite yourself. You should distract yourself from the forthcoming outpouring of Mr. W's McARSE by contemplating whether the excessive oscillation and heating issues of the Red Bull will be resolved in Bahrain tomorrow.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

Is this the same Monbiot who said we should allow the levels' rivers to silt up to save the people downstream? Riiighhhht ...

Yet another straw man argument. GM said nothing of the sort.

He said that dredging would have had minimal effect on the somerset levels this winter, and likely made things significantly worse in Taunton and Bridgewater which is where most of the people actually live. The biggest cause of the problem is converting woods, hedges and scrubland into large fields which instead of pulling the water underground just runs off into the rivers and flood plains.
  • On that note, being serious: if Red Bull can get some good running in then the season is still entirely open for them in title terms. If they're still struggling then the first four races or so (the typical length of the initial fly-away period) will be very bad for them. There aren't many races 5 laps long in F1.

The fly-away period is distinct because all the teams are based in Europe (most in a little triangle of England) and getting parts out for testing is, obviously, more time-consuming and difficult than it is when they're in Europe. As recent seasons have shown us, it's all very well if your wind tunnel makes something look as sleek as an otter in a wetsuit, but if it doesn't work on track that's not much use. Plus, if Red Bull are grappling with chronic reliability woe then they won't be able to assess, test and improve performance, whereas the other teams will be doing so.

JackW said:

1 hour 1 minute 1 second

Well clearly you are .... does a large furry animal not partake of a number two in forested localities ??

• Is this the same Monbiot who said we should allow the levels' rivers to silt up to save the people downstream? Riiighhhht ...

he has some wacky ideas, but at the same time he is sane enough to see that nuclear power has a role to play. Think he's worth reading even if his politics are opposite to your own.
    Just embarrassing

@KennyFarq: So, Salmond says Three Chancellors' intervention on currency is an offence to "the Scottish character". More nationalisation of nationalism.
  • JackW said:

1 hour 1 minute 1 second

It is just a made up poll
    JackW said:

Cancelled. Thought better of it.
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    eristdoof said:

He said that dredging would have had minimal effect on the somerset levels this winter, and likely made things significantly worse in Taunton and Bridgewater which is where most of the people actually live. The biggest cause of the problem is converting woods, hedges and scrubland into large fields which instead of pulling the water underground just runs off into the rivers and flood plains.

And how many hedges and woods have been removed from the Somerset levels? -very few I believe.

The effects of twenty years of deliberate neglect by the Environment Agency are well illustrated here. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561435/Pictures-Somerset-river-1960s-today-width-halved-leading-flooding-Environment-Agency-stopped-dredging-regularly.html

I have little respect for GM. When he moved to Machynlleth, he said he was against private transport and people should use public transport to be green and save using hydrocarbons. He then went and bought a Mercedes car! Obviously he did not want to use the local bus service.
    eristdoof said:

I believe he did say that.

"This winter", yes. The previous two years of flooding, and future years, where the rain was not quite so persistent, it may well have helped.

If you've read my previous posts, you'll see that I agree with restricting water flow in a river's upper reaches to restrict and even out peak flows downstream - for instance I witter endlessly and to everyone's annoyance about the peat 'sponge' of the Peak District, and the attempts to improve its capacity and ecology by reseeding bare peat.

Also, I'm a firm believer in new developments using whatever pieces of the SuDS concept are applicable: parts of my own village are a trial of many of these techniques.

I also agree that removal of woodland can make matters worse: the ground under trees can store much more water than that under grass.

But these are all solutions for the uplands. When the water is in big rivers, it needs to make its way to the sea as quickly and efficiently as possible. Allowing the rivers to silt up just makes matter worse (storage rivers aside). And the situation is made worse on the levels by the fact that some of the rivers are tidal many miles inland.

JackW said:

1 hour 1 minute 1 second

It is just a made up poll
    May I respectfully advise PB's little toggle fiddler that my McARSE is not a poll but a projection .... and without wishing to over egg a rather sumptuous pudding is the finest one known in the history of mankind.

ARSE- Never Knowingly Undersold

• Indeed, Mr. Financier. Reminds me of Caroline Lucas' hypocrisy. Previously (I believe she was an MEP at the time) she was calling for huge reductions in air travel, whilst flying all over the place (this was deemed forgivable because she was tremendously important).

F1 trying to go green is particularly hilarious. All the carbon fibre in the cars this year is from entirely natural sources, and hand-crafted using traditional techniques. Ahem.

he has some wacky ideas, but at the same time he is sane enough to see that nuclear power has a role to play. Think he's worth reading even if his politics are opposite to your own.
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. ;-)

I actually respect GM a little: he tries to think independently and come up with his own ideas and solutions. It's just that on this I think he's wrong.

He's also big enough to admit when he's done something silly.
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Compare and contrast

ScotNat FundaMentalist: A cartoon of Eck 'The Prophet' Salmond denigrates Scotland

Salmond is not Scotland.

I love Scotland. I have no love for Salmond. I haven't drunk the KoolAid. I don't believe his agenda is good for Scotland or Scots.
    So you prove me correct , you are Alastair Carmichael and will be shouting "Help me Carlotta" as I write. You are fixated on your hatred of Alex Salmond whilst I am interested in the future of Scotland. You are a typical BT supporter , no principles, no hope.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    JackW said:

May I respectfully advise PB's little toggle fiddler that my McARSE is not a poll but a projection .... and without wishing to over egg a rather sumptuous pudding is the finest one known in the history of mankind.

Remember, McARSE = "My (clearly) Accurate Reconnoitre of the Scottish Electorate" ;-)

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

http://shirazsocialist.wordpress.com/

(You'll need to scroll down to the second article.)

I doubt he could even come up with that.

JackW said:

You missed an fine match with the British skip firing an outstanding last stone to take a two and the win.

RobD said:

JackW said:

Remember, McARSE = "My (clearly) Accurate Reconnoitre of the Scottish Electorate" ;-)
    How very dare you Madam !!

malcolmg said:

You are fixated on your hatred of Alex Salmond whilst I am interested in the future of Scotland. You are a typical BT supporter , no principles, no hope.

I am acutely interested in the future of Scotland, as a member of the most successful union in history. I am full of hope. The desperation of the Nats campaign cheers me up every day.

I don't share Eck's vision of the future. My principles are to oppose him.
  • @JosiasJessop - in the video I link to Monbiot does say that dredging has a role to play at some points in the Somerset Levels. It is however far from being the cure-all that the farming lobby claims.

Land-use practices, things that sound as simple as not leaving the ground bare in winter - it doesn't necessarily have to be covered in trees - can have a much larger impact.

The thing that particularly impresses me about Monbiot is that he follows things through and gets into the detail - in this case he's using a scientific paper from December 2013 that all but predicted the floods as a result of removing regulations on soil erosion prevention for farmers growing maize.

Much more convincing than the dredging drones.
  • Mr. G, it's worth considering that Salmond's approach to antagonise non-Scots to drive up division between Scotland and the rest of the UK also has the effect of making Salmond very easy to dislike.

Furthermore, disliking Salmond or even the SNP is not the same thing as disliking Scotland. Some of the nicest posters on pb.com are Scottish, and I strongly hope the union remains intact. I rather dislike Salmond, not merely his political position, because it's divisive and even deceitful. In one breath he claims (post-independence) England and Scotland will be 'best pals' and in another he attempts to propose to inflict a currency union on a country he hopes to leave and threatens to ignore 100% of Scotland's debts* if he doesn't get his way.

It's not a fantastic way to encourage bilateral trade if independence should occur.

*Technically, Scotland would not have any debt. But tell that to Englishmen, Welshmen and Northern Irishmen who have seen two Scottish Chancellors and a Scottish Prime Minister prop up two Scottish banks with British taxpayers' money and then Scotland taking no debt whatsoever.

There's still a long way to go. Perhaps the debate will become more cordial. I suspect it will become more acrimonious.
  • malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Compare and contrast

Salmond is not Scotland.

You are a typical BT supporter , no principles, no hope.
    Who was accusing the other side of "negative campaigning"?

As you are interested in Scotland's future, what do you think the currency plan should be, now that currency union is off the table?

• volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    These may not be the only marginal seats where flooding is a factor,Reading West,even NE Somerset and also those out in the far east,Great Yarmouth and Waveney,too.
    JackW said:

You missed an fine match with the British skip firing an outstanding last stone to take a two and the win.

Replay on the Red Button right now

As you are interested in Scotland's future, what do you think the currency plan should be, now that currency union is off the table?

There is "a range of options". So far we have had

1. Bluff
    2. Bluster.
    3. Blubbering

We eagerly await

4. Beans!

@JosiasJessop - in the video I link to Monbiot does say that dredging has a role to play at some points in the Somerset Levels. It is however far from being the cure-all that the farming lobby claims.

Land-use practices, things that sound as simple as not leaving the ground bare in winter - it doesn't necessarily have to be covered in trees - can have a much larger impact.

The thing that particularly impresses me about Monbiot is that he follows things through and gets into the detail - in this case he's using a scientific paper from December 2013 that all but predicted the floods as a result of removing regulations on soil erosion prevention for farmers growing maize.

How much maize is grown on the Somerset levels? Please quantify.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Compare and contrast

Salmond is not Scotland.

It is not off the table.

The criticism I have of ASalmond (and in many respects I admire him as a conviction politician) is that he is "neglecting" to tell the Scottish electorate just what a currency union actually means with the consequent loss of fiscal and monetary autonomy (I'm sure the fiscal pact and banking union issues could be addressed).

This verges on disingenuousness and for that reason it is legitimate to criticise him.
    "Love Scotland, Loathe Salmond"

Can I claim royalties on the 60M tshirts sold with this logo on it ?
    TOPPING said:

it is legitimate to criticise him.

You will rue the day!
    JackW said:

JackW said:

That wasn't it Jack. I saw some of it, although it's not my sport. I was about to make a comment which on mature reflection (as I was writing it) I realised wasn't either clever or appropriate.
  • Financier said:

@JosiasJessop - in the video I link to Monbiot does say that dredging has a role to play at some points in the Somerset Levels. It is however far from being the cure-all that the farming lobby claims.

Monbiot quotes a figure of 160,00 hectares of maize grown nationwide, increased from just 1,400 hectares in 1970.

He doesn't specify how much of it is grown in the watersheds of the Thames, Severn or Parrett rivers.
    BREAKING WIND NEWS *** BREAKING WIND NEWS *** BREAKING WIND NEWS ***

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to the JNN the contents of the latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection :

Should Scotland Be An Independent Country ?

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

WIND - Whimsical Independent News Division
    JNN - Jacobite News Network
    McARSE - Magnificent Caledonian Anonymous Random Selection of Electors
    @OblitusSumMe

May I inquire if you have lived on either of the two Somerset levels?

I have, as my parents owned a dairy farm on the North Somerset Levels - the one based around the River Yeo.
  • JackW said:

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to the JNN the contents of the latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection :

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Another 'poll' just pulled out of your Arse :)
    JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Anything less than 40% is bad for Salmond's Devo max push IMHO.

Less than 35% and its ugly.

• isamisam Posts: 40,731

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Why do people give @JackW stick for trying to predict elections & referendums? I don't think he is saying it is a poll is he?

JackW said:

JackW said:

That wasn't it Jack. I saw some of it, although it's not my sport. I was about to make a comment which on mature reflection (as I was writing it) I realised wasn't either clever or appropriate.
    I don't believe it !! .... A PBer of some standing who even considered a post that twas neither clever or appropriate. The shock will drive me to drink !!

• Financier said:

Monbiot quotes a figure of 160,00 hectares of maize grown nationwide, increased from just 1,400 hectares in 1970.

He doesn't specify how much of it is grown in the watersheds of the Thames, Severn or Parrett rivers.
    You can find the paper he discusses here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/sum.12068/abstract

From the abstract:
    "Field investigations between 2002 and 2011 identified soil structural degradation to be widespread in SW England with 38% of the 3243 surveyed sites having sufficiently degraded soil structure to produce observable features of enhanced surface-water runoff within the landscape....Late-harvested crops such as maize had the most damaged soil where 75% of sites were found to have degraded structure generating enhanced surface-water runoff....The intensive use of well-drained, high quality sandy and coarse loamy soils has led to soil structural damage resulting in enhanced surface-water runoff from fields that should naturally absorb winter rain. Surface water pollution, localized flooding and reduced winter recharge rates to aquifers result from this damage."

Mr. G, it's worth considering that Salmond's approach to antagonise non-Scots to drive up division between Scotland and the rest of the UK also has the effect of making Salmond very easy to dislike.

Furthermore, disliking Salmond or even the SNP is not the same thing as disliking Scotland. Some of the nicest posters on pb.com are Scottish, and I strongly hope the union remains intact. I rather dislike Salmond, not merely his political position, because it's divisive and even deceitful. In one breath he claims (post-independence) England and Scotland will be 'best pals' and in another he attempts to propose to inflict a currency union on a country he hopes to leave and threatens to ignore 100% of Scotland's debts* if he doesn't get his way.

It's not a fantastic way to encourage bilateral trade if independence should occur.

*Technically, Scotland would not have any debt. But tell that to Englishmen, Welshmen and Northern Irishmen who have seen two Scottish Chancellors and a Scottish Prime Minister prop up two Scottish banks with British taxpayers' money and then Scotland taking no debt whatsoever.

There's still a long way to go. Perhaps the debate will become more cordial. I suspect it will become more acrimonious.

I rather dislike many Westminster politicians , of all nationalities and the troughers in HOL and I strongly hope the union is broken. The threats are all coming one way , usual big boy trying to bully the smaller opponent. If Westminster threaten to keep the assets then it is unreasonable to expect Scotland to accept Westminster's debts.
    The unionists seem determined to make it acrimonious as they have little positive to offer.
    As ever your myopic view regarding UK banks regulated by Westminster is rather disingenuous.
    Westminster caused the problem and then bailed out UK banks, Scotland had little say in the regulation of the bankers and therin lies the problem. A nameplate in Edinburgh does not make a bank Scottish.
    JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Would you care to wager on your 36% YES , or is it just bollocks

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

It's not a poll or even 'poll' you dimwit.

• isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Lord Ashcroft (@LordAshcroft)
    18/02/2014 08:08
    In 2012 the UK sent £27.4m from our aid budget to China...#wonderful

18/02/2014 08:11
    The UK spent £15m on an initiative to reduce the flatulence of Columbian cattle as part of a drive to combat climate change #wonderful

18/02/2014 08:16
    The UK spent £25m on a scheme that included helping "rainmakers" in Kenya, who predict weather by observing the movement of ants #wonderful
  • TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Compare and contrast

Salmond is not Scotland.

It is not off the table.

The criticism I have of ASalmond (and in many respects I admire him as a conviction politician) is that he is "neglecting" to tell the Scottish electorate just what a currency union actually means with the consequent loss of fiscal and monetary autonomy (I'm sure the fiscal pact and banking union issues could be addressed).

This verges on disingenuousness and for that reason it is legitimate to criticise him.
    There are four problems with a currency union - the fiscal pact only addresses one of them - the other three may be insoluble: 1) the markets have to believe it is irreversible and will "last forever" - the SNP have made clear its a stop-gap, 2) the burden of risk is grossly asymmetrical and 3) the impositions on Holyrood spending from "London politicians" will poison relations between the two countries.

Added to that it's now electorally unpopular in rUK, why would an rUK government agree to it?

It's dead. Move on.

Scott_P said:

1. Bluff
    2. Bluster.
    3. Blubbering

We eagerly await

4. Beans!
    Mutt and Jeff on form today. Much more of this and you will get your IQ above 10.
  • JackW said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

It's not a poll or even 'poll' you dimwit.

Pleasant.
  • Financier said:

@OblitusSumMe

May I inquire if you have lived on either of the two Somerset levels?

I have, as my parents owned a dairy farm on the North Somerset Levels - the one based around the River Yeo.

I have not lived on either of the two Somerset Levels.

Random fact: The furthest north I have ever lived has been 52 degrees, 12 minutes and almost 17 seconds north of the equator.
  • JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

May one enquire how this compares with previous effusions?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    It's probably damaged the Government's competence rating a bit and made it harder to maintain the primacy of deficit reduction theme - not, perhaps, much more than that, unless the same places get flooded again next winter.

Today's YouGov has lots of questions about how people feel about Tory and Labour governments. Broadly speaking, majorities eye us both with apprehension. I won't quote the anti-Tory ones selectively, but one pair of results is interesting. 50-36, including a quarter of Labour voters, do think that the Tories have made the "tough but necessary decisions to get Britain going again". On the other hand, only 31% (including a mere 3% of Labour voters) think they're the best party on the economy (Labour 23, LD 5, others 6). Leaving aside what we think of these propositions, and keeping in mind that it's the same people who are giving Labour a 7-point lead, they appear to suggest quite a large chunk who are saying "OK, you did a job that needed doing, now goodbye".

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/5ijj3746it/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-170214.pdf

TGOHF said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Anything less than 40% is bad for Salmond's Devo max push IMHO.

Less than 35% and its ugly.

36% is the lowest score in any of the McARSE projections. YES peaked at 42% in the September projection but has drifted south since then.

As for Devo Max that will come Scotland's way regardless of the scale of the YES defeat.

• foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Far from being malodorous hot air, the outpourings of Jacks ARSE and McARSE are solid and regular. They should not be ignored, or they may cause a few slip ups.

To my mind the 79% turnout figure looks rather high. In 1978 the turnout was only 63%, in a time when electoral turnouts were rather higher generally.

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Compare and contrast

Salmond is not Scotland.

It is not off the table, it is still one of the 5 options outlined by the Scottish government. After a YES vote we shall see and if they cannot get their chosen best option then they will use one of the other 4 options. Squeaky or Balls will not be so pedantic once they have been shown to be failures and lost the union.
  • malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

1. Bluff
    2. Bluster.
    3. Blubbering

We eagerly await

4. Beans!
    Mutt and Jeff on form today. Much more of this and you will get your IQ above 10.
    No negative campaigning or "playing the man, not the ball" from the Nats - No Sireee!
  • isam said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Why do people give @JackW stick for trying to predict elections & referendums? I don't think he is saying it is a poll is he?
    I have asked him his methodology time after time and been hit with a range of quasi-humorous ripostes. This morning he has snapped.
  • malcolmg said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Would you care to wager on your 36% YES , or is it just bollocks
    It's just guesswork as far as I can see.
This discussion has been closed.