Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov asked people to predict what the national voting int

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited February 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov asked people to predict what the national voting intention figures would be at the end of 2014. Here are the results

YouGov recently ran a competition, open from January 17th-31st, that asked participants to estimate the end-of-year voting intention figures to win a prize, after Steve Thompson won last year’s competition by guessing each party’s position exactly (except for UKIP – he was 2 points high). The same question was then asked to the general public in a nationally representative survey.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Get some sleep!
  • Options
    SNP + PC on 9% !!! :)

That would mean we were on about 80% of the vote in our respective countries. IMHO it is a measurement of how the SNP (sorry PC) are playing way, way above our weight in the minds of respondents outwith Scotland: they perceive us as much bigger than we actually are. Someone can Google, but IIRC we only have about 25,000 members, which is a heck of a lot more than any other Scottish party (guesstimate: SLab 12,000, SCon 10,000, SLD 3,000, SGrn 1,000, SUKIP 1,000), but is a tiny number of people within the context of the UK's population.
    Edin_Rokz said:

Freggles said:

I voted for 40 to 50 percent. Which Muppet voted for 90+?

Which muppets voted for 0 to 10 percent?
    Not me, I recognise that there are a lot of believers in Emperor Eck's chance of immortality, even though they might have many different views of how to celebrate and then mould Scotland to their own belief on how the country will be run.

Err... you only need to substitute the odd word to see how daft that attitude is. If voting Yes is a vote for "Emperor Eck", then by the same logic voting No is a vote for Emperor Dave.

* Not me, I recognise that there are a lot of believers in Emperor Dave's chance of immortality, even though they might have many different views of how to celebrate and then mould North Britain to their own belief on how the province will be run.
  • Options
    Gap of own voters vs others:
    Con: +6
    Lab: +8
    LibD: +6
    UKIP: +15

On this basis the Con voters are most "realistic" about their parties prospects (with Labour not far behind) and by some margin, UKIP most "optimistic". A phenomenon not unobserved on here......

From last night's thread, while quite a few who expected "no" to prevail in the Indy referendum were willing to put their name to their predictions, rather fewer who expect "yes" to do so did. Kudos to those who did, and we know who didn't.....(yes, McChicken.....you......)

Allan Massie:

The truth is of course that the Yes Campaign is calling for a divorce, and in any separation the one choosing to go his or her own way doesn’t call all the shots and usually has to make concessions. Meanwhile the party being deserted will naturally feel aggrieved and resentful, and in that mood, will usually strike a hard bargain, protecting his or her own interests. Which is why, for the time being anyway, Westminster has ruled out a currency union. It has no interest in smoothing the SNP’s road to independence, and why on Earth should it have?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/allan-massie-currency-talk-more-than-bullying-1-3311176
  • Options
    Worth also looking at the Median VI, not only the mean:

OA (among VI)
    Con: 31 (35)
    Lab: 35 (38)
    LibD: 10 (15)
    UKIP: 10 (21)
    Nat: 5 (n/a)
    Green: 5 (n/a)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/o57kkc6s05/YG-Archive-140214- Predictions.pdf

Not a million miles from where we are today for the larger parties
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235

Gap of own voters vs others:
    Con: +6
    Lab: +8
    LibD: +6
    UKIP: +15

On this basis the Con voters are most "realistic" about their parties prospects (with Labour not far behind) and by some margin, UKIP most "optimistic". A phenomenon not unobserved on here......

It looks as if Sean T's proposed new rule has a sound statistical basis albeit he has gone in a little high at 10 (unless you are a UKIP supporter that is). The correction should perhaps be 6. So take your best estimate of how you think the parties will finish in 2015, reduce your own party's lead by 6 and bet on that. Got to be a winner.

Not great news for the tories in my case though.

• Options
    So: the supporters of party X expect it to be doing better in a future opinion poll than everyone else thinks it will do.

Why on earth this should give the slightest surprise or be of the least interest I cannot say.
  • Options
    With the smaller parties there could also be an effect of exaggerating the size of minorities, just as we see when people are asked to estimate the number of Muslims, immigrants, etc.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    UKIP supporters vote shares add up to 101%. Even assuming it's 100% with rounding, apparently no-one will vote Green, SNP, Plaid etc?
  • Options
    Avery predicted crossover by Dec 25 - that proved wrong.
    Rod Crosby has predicted it by May 1.

I am most interested in Rod's forecast, because it is based on mathematical modelling rather than hunch or spin. If it is proved wrong, Labour could be in business. It's ~70 days away.
  • Options
    This is essentially what ICM do with their Wisdom index - didn't they say that was the most accurate for the 2010GE?

They must also show splits by party support - do they show the same pattern?
  • Options

This is essentially what ICM do with their Wisdom index - didn't they say that was the most accurate for the 2010GE?

They must also show splits by party support - do they show the same pattern?

Looking at a random ICM Wisdom index poll it is clear that they also find this optimism bias. ICM also remind people of the result last time, which you would think would help to anchor them somewhat.
  • Options
    FPT
    @YOkel said:
    "Ukraine

I have to say it looks like a very heavy Belfast night of the past, just with larger number in one place.

The tactical situation on the ground at the epicentre of trouble is not good for the protestors as it stands. Its a space that can ultimately be choked by the authorities and the street -based opposition movement will need to maintain channels. It is, bluntly, a man's fight. You look at the protestors now, its overwhelmingly men, often younger. The opposition movement has left its street fighters out which doesn't bode well for peace in the very short term.

At this point at street-level, the advantages lie with the authorities. To that end the opposition needs:

1. a loss of nerve on the political front by the President. He himself is slightly shaky and has been for a bit. Plenty of others around him are most definitely not at this point.

2. Assuming this requires being on the street to get their way, what the opposition needs is to launch out elsewhere, both in Kiev and around the country. So far this has not happened to the degree it needs to.

As a result the authorities could crack down in the one major location and finish this stage of protest. The bloodshed may be mighty but within that space the authorities have the ability to cycle resources and do a mix of holding the line and upsurges to exhaust the protestors, over days if necessary, before moving in.

The authorities do have more tools here and haven't used them . It is, believe it or not, an element of restraint or alternatively the subject to a stiffling internal debate that is stiffling the full on crackdown.

No sign of the army yet. If the current government had full control and/or direction it wouldn't need a law to bring them in, it would need an order. It hasn't come even though a significant number of military personnel have been moved closer to the action.

It is delicately poised. From the armchair, and sadly for the protestors, it looks as if they have some policy and civil affairs wonks in suits from the EU to advise them. The Ukrainian government has Putin and a fairly (it isn't 100%) solid security apparatus. Doesnt sound even does it? In reality there is somewhat more robust and dirty tactics type contacts coming from at least two EU countries. The Russians say the Europeans are stoking. On this they are correct."

On several occasions now I have found YOkel's contributions to this site more informative and to have greater insight than anything found in the MSM. I fear this is another example. Many thanks.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Also interesting that of the first 3 parties it is Tory supporters who think UKIP will be highest going into 2015, and that they think they'll have prospered regardless.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Also interesting that of the first 3 parties it is Tory supporters who think UKIP will be highest going into 2015, and that they think they'll have prospered regardless.

Hmm. Delusional?
  • Options

That would mean we were on about 80% of the vote in our respective countries. IMHO it is a measurement of how the SNP (sorry PC) are playing way, way above our weight in the minds of respondents outwith Scotland: they perceive us as much bigger than we actually are. Someone can Google, but IIRC we only have about 25,000 members, which is a heck of a lot more than any other Scottish party (guesstimate: SLab 12,000, SCon 10,000, SLD 3,000, SGrn 1,000, SUKIP 1,000), but is a tiny number of people within the context of the UK's population.

Edin_Rokz said:

Freggles said:

Not me, I recognise that there are a lot of believers in Emperor Eck's chance of immortality, even though they might have many different views of how to celebrate and then mould Scotland to their own belief on how the country will be run.

Err... you only need to substitute the odd word to see how daft that attitude is. If voting Yes is a vote for "Emperor Eck", then by the same logic voting No is a vote for Emperor Dave.

* Not me, I recognise that there are a lot of believers in Emperor Dave's chance of immortality, even though they might have many different views of how to celebrate and then mould North Britain to their own belief on how the province will be run.
    Hi Stuart,

You've got to admit that of the two, Our Beloved FM is the only one trying to run a one party state.

Let’s see, centralisation of the Police, major changes to Scot's legal system, cutting funds to local government. All, of course, done in the best possible way of cutting costs!

And, again you've got to admit that the supporters of the SNP come from every spectrum of political opinion from far right to the mirror image of the left. I really don't think that they will all be following the Salmond line when Scotland does become Independent. They are only behind, and keeping quiet, Salmond at the moment because he is the only and best bet for their dreams of how Scotland will be, once they are in charge.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    This really does suggest greater solidity in the UKIP vote than at previous elections. If the kippers can maintain sufficient momentum to score, say, 9-10% at GE, then it makes for a very interesting result. I can't see crossover happening under these circumstances.
  • Options
    With the exception of the SNP tally, the group prediction isn't that outlandish.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Those median figures look pretty likely to me. In this sort of analysis median is often better than mean as it ignores the extremes of the range. Rather like last nights poll where some were voting at both extreme showing a lack of understanding.

It should give Miliband a working majority.

Worth also looking at the Median VI, not only the mean:

OA (among VI)
    Con: 31 (35)
    Lab: 35 (38)
    LibD: 10 (15)
    UKIP: 10 (21)
    Nat: 5 (n/a)
    Green: 5 (n/a)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/o57kkc6s05/YG-Archive-140214- Predictions.pdf

Not a million miles from where we are today for the larger parties

• Options
    My guess for the end of 2014 would have tories and Labour both on 36% with the Lib Dems and UKIP both on about 11%.

Despite the almost complete lack of evidence of any benefit so far I find it hard to believe that a year in which the BoE is forecasting 3.4% growth and we will see a return to real wages on any measure (they are already growing on some) will not do the tories some good.

If I am anywhere near right we should have quite an exciting election campaign. In that campaign I think UKIP will be squeezed somewhat but probably not by enough and some Lib Dems will return from Labour giving the tories a win in votes but largest party being very much up for grabs.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I see everybody now wants to be an ARSE.

Tsk ....
  • Options

That would mean we were on about 80% of the vote in our respective countries. IMHO it is a measurement of how the SNP (sorry PC) are playing way, way above our weight in the minds of respondents outwith Scotland: they perceive us as much bigger than we actually are.

Not so sure about the "way above our weight" bit. But whatever the precise explanation, I trust we can agree that SNP supporters' grasp of political reality has been found wanting.

I'm less hopeful that you'll agree that SNP supporters' grasp of political reality has been found wanting again.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited February 2014

This really does suggest greater solidity in the UKIP vote than at previous elections. If the kippers can maintain sufficient momentum to score, say, 9-10% at GE, then it makes for a very interesting result. I can't see crossover happening under these circumstances.

Certainly very interesting, but I wouldn't be so sure that crossover becomes impossible.

In the latest ICM Guardian poll 17 Conservative 2010 voters said they would now vote UKIP compared to 8 switchers from Labour and 10 from the Lib Dems. This is not a differential that makes a Conservative lead impossible with a ~10% UKIP vote.

In fact, the differential of 9 net voters in Labour's benefit is only slightly larger than the net 8 voters they gain from direct Tory-Labour swing voters*. If the Tories can win the electoral battle with traditional swing voters they can still come out ahead on votes.

ICM data tables: http://www.icmresearch.com/data/media/pdf/2014_feb_guardian_poll.pdf

* And, because these voters are both lost to the Tories and gained for Labour they count double in the electoral arithmetic, so they are worth 16 Tory-UKIP switchers.

Thus the direct Tory-Labour swing voters are more important in the latest Guardian ICM poll for creating a Labour lead than are Tory voters lost to UKIP. They're also more important than Lib Dem voters who switch to Labour, who only give Labour a net 13 voters over the Tories.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Testing's already underway in Bahrain. Not much to report. Alonso had a red flag on his installation lap (happened to Ferrari a few times in Jerez too). The Lotus is out and running.
  • Options
    That Lib Dem supporters think they'll double their support by the end of the year explains why Clegg is still in place.

9% in Jan 2014 = 18% in Dec 2014 = 20% in May 2015?

Crisis, what crisis?
  • Options
    JackW said:

I see everybody now wants to be an ARSE.

Tsk ....

Indeed. The Strawless Brick Factory is in full production, too.

We wouldn't want it any other way, tho' ...

• Options
    Also worth looking at how people broke down their vote - put simply, most offered a number 'to the nearest 5' and didn't fret over whether it was '32' or '34'......they'd pick 30 or 35

So, for the two big parties the votes for 20/25/30/35/40 were:

Con: 7/8/19/11/12
    Lab: 7/5/16/13/12

For the smaller parties: 5/10/15/20

LibD: 12/25/11/12
    UKIP:15/19/9/10
    Nat: 24/15/4/4
    Green: 24/11/2/3
  • Options
    Apologies to a PBer (memory gone) who asked about my Scottish referendum turnout projections and thought them too high, I forgot to reply.

To date I have issued two projections - last month 77% and yesterday 79%.

Part of my modelling is based on the 2 Quebec sovereignty referenda of 1980 and 1995. Essentially they remain the only two that broadly conform to the Scottish vote whereby a well established region within a long term western style democracy seeks to secede.

1980 - Yes 40.5% .. No 59.5% .. Turnout 85.6%
    1995 - Yes 49.5% .. No 50.5% .. Turnout 93.5%
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @LadPolitics: Scotland’s referendum debate: What is really going on? | The Political Studies Association (PSA) http://t.co/6Kopy4O1vw
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Freggles said:

Hi Stuart,

You've got to admit that of the two, Our Beloved FM is the only one trying to run a one party state.

Let’s see, centralisation of the Police, major changes to Scot's legal system, cutting funds to local government. All, of course, done in the best possible way of cutting costs!

And, again you've got to admit that the supporters of the SNP come from every spectrum of political opinion from far right to the mirror image of the left. I really don't think that they will all be following the Salmond line when Scotland does become Independent. They are only behind, and keeping quiet, Salmond at the moment because he is the only and best bet for their dreams of how Scotland will be, once they are in charge.
    Very true and exactly what the frothers on here do not get, it is not all about Salmond as some great leader. People are behind him to get to the place where they want to be, all will be up for grabs then and even the Tories with a real Scottish party could do well.
  • Options

That would mean we were on about 80% of the vote in our respective countries. IMHO it is a measurement of how the SNP (sorry PC) are playing way, way above our weight in the minds of respondents outwith Scotland: they perceive us as much bigger than we actually are.

Not so sure about the "way above our weight" bit. But whatever the precise explanation, I trust we can agree that SNP supporters' grasp of political reality has been found wanting.

I'm less hopeful that you'll agree that SNP supporters' grasp of political reality has been found wanting again.
    Richard head, I for one think you are talking testicles
  • Options
    I think it was me, pointing out that in the 1978 referendum there was a 63% turnout. In those days there were generally higher turnouts than now. Most referendums seem to get lower turnouts than general elections; even ones as significant as the Indyref.
    JackW said:

Apologies to a PBer (memory gone) who asked about my Scottish referendum turnout projections and thought them too high, I forgot to reply.

Part of my modelling is based on the 2 Quebec sovereignty referenda of 1980 and 1995. Essentially they remain the only two that broadly conform to the Scottish vote whereby a well established region within a long term western style democracy seeks to secede.

• Options
    @TimGattITV: OsBo allows Scotland to borrow money from international bond markets - @itvrichard analyses this "sudden generosity" http://t.co/7IOKaduFhJ
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@LadPolitics: Scotland’s referendum debate: What is really going on? | The Political Studies Association (PSA) http://t.co/6Kopy4O1vw

Only flaw in his argument is the last part where the NO partners will not have anything coherent, we will see 3 lots of bollocks and no-one will be able to say any of it is actually possible. There will be no grand plan from the NO hopers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TimGattITV: OsBo allows Scotland to borrow money from international bond markets - @itvrichard analyses this "sudden generosity" http://t.co/7IOKaduFhJ

More flim flam, just means being able to borrow very limited pocket money direct rather than through Westminster. No change and no advantage for Scotland.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

That's very reassuring. I'd be worried if you thought otherwise.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I'm very sceptical of wisdom of crowds polls - people give their vague impressions of polls and add a slice of what they'd like, rather like an amateurish version of PB. Obviously they'll sometimes be right, but they'll tend to have both optimism bias and a tendency to assume no great changes other than the ones they want. They're only interesting if we think that there's a circular effect - people will go along with what they think others will do. Not sure there's much scientific evidence of that?

Oblitus's comments are interesting, but quite dependent on ICM's methodology (which dampens swings from the LibDems and to UKIP by assuming a partial reversion to past behaviour). The same calculations using YouGov show Labour's lead much more dependent on LibDem switchers than on either direct Con switchers or UKIP's effect. FWIW, my impression is that Con<->Lab switching (either way) is almost negligible, but LD->Lab switching at GE level is huge and highly-motivated. I can't judge Con->UKIP switching as anti-Lab voters are not usually chatty to me, so "No, sorry" might mean anything except Lab.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    There is dark irony at work in Ukraine. The people have had enough of an undemocratic, self-serving corrupt cabal running their country. So they are dying in the streets to replace that with the, er, EU...

Hmmmm.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

More flim flam, just means being able to borrow very limited pocket money direct rather than through Westminster. No change and no advantage for Scotland.
    Why would the SNP 'we'll renege on our debt if we don't get our way' government be leery of entering the international bond market, I wonder?
  • Options

I think it was me, pointing out that in the 1978 referendum there was a 63% turnout. In those days there were generally higher turnouts than now. Most referendums seem to get lower turnouts than general elections; even ones as significant as the Indyref.

JackW said:

Apologies my foxy friend for my tardiness.

I believe the substantial difference here is the previous Scottish referenda have been over devolution which was clearly the settled will of the Scottish people and where the result was not in doubt.

A sovereignty referendum involving full scale secession and the formation of a new nation involves an entirely different level of mind set on so many levels for the voter. Accordingly IMO turnout will be substantially higher and if the result appears close then more voters will flock to the polls.

If anything some may argue that my projection is a wee bit low even allowing for a more depressed turnout in recent elections in the UK.

• Options

I'm very sceptical of wisdom of crowds polls - people give their vague impressions of polls and add a slice of what they'd like, rather like an amateurish version of PB. Obviously they'll sometimes be right, but they'll tend to have both optimism bias and a tendency to assume no great changes other than the ones they want. They're only interesting if we think that there's a circular effect - people will go along with what they think others will do. Not sure there's much scientific evidence of that?

Oblitus's comments are interesting, but quite dependent on ICM's methodology (which dampens swings from the LibDems and to UKIP by assuming a partial reversion to past behaviour). The same calculations using YouGov show Labour's lead much more dependent on LibDem switchers than on either direct Con switchers or UKIP's effect. FWIW, my impression is that Con<->Lab switching (either way) is almost negligible, but LD->Lab switching at GE level is huge and highly-motivated. I can't judge Con->UKIP switching as anti-Lab voters are not usually chatty to me, so "No, sorry" might mean anything except Lab.

I too see little point in them - after all, what is the point of asking 1001 people, 90% of whom have no understanding of psephology or politics to predict polling? It's like asking hundreds of versions of my wife (who has no interest in football whatsoever) what is the likely outcome of the Champions' League.
  • Options

There is dark irony at work in Ukraine. The people have had enough of an undemocratic, self-serving corrupt cabal running their country. So they are dying in the streets to replace that with the, er, EU...

Hmmmm.

The EU is a democratically elected body*

*admittedly no-one cares about the elections, but they do exist
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SNP supporters do an awful lot of "thinking", and very little time in meaningful discussion with reality....

That will change in September.

Actually, scrub that. Nothing will change in September. The Scot Nats will still be blaming lying, thieving England for crushing their dreams..... They still won't be on speaking terms with reality.

And your inevitable ensuing jibes about me being a Scot-hater will again cause my wife to roar with laughter.

My Scottish wife....
  • Options

So deserving of as much respect then as Ukraine's existing democratic process....

• Options
    Is this the best Olympic commentary,... in the World?

@NicoHines: David Attenborough's alternative commentary on the Olympic Curling. Brilliant http://t.co/WyuV4Rxjly (via @Alex_Ogle)
  • Options
    Scotland to Be Granted Power to Issue Bonds
    Bonds Expected to Be a More Costly Form of Borrowing Than Through British Government

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303945704579391240345983078?mg=reno64-wsj&amp;url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303945704579391240345983078.html

Won't the SNP be pleased?
  • Options

So deserving of as much respect then as Ukraine's existing democratic process....

Bit of a stretch Mark!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959

Hmmmm.

The EU is a mixture of directly elected (the parliament), the indirectly elected (the council of ministers) and the appointed (the commissioners). There is little democratic oversight of the commissioners, who are largely responsible for the disbursement of funds and the implementation of policy.

It would be much more democratic to require each commissioner to be individually ratified by the parliament annually.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    Day 6 of the shriekers marathon and still no sign of the right wing lunatics realising that Cammie and Osbrowne are no more trusted by the scottish public than they would be.

Clegg is told where to go again by Scotty_P and Carlotta's economic guru Ed Balls.
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 2h

Ed Balls: Labour would hate to do a Coalition deal with the Lib Dems: http://bit.ly/1eMZJ7f
  • Options
    Even North Korea has elections!

For all its faults the EU does have a democratic structure. Too much gets decided by heads of government and the commission rather than the parliament, but all heads of government are elected by their own peoples. The commission is not, and too often commissioners are decided by internal political machinations rather than who would best represent the interests of the nation or EU. Perhaps it would be better if commissioners had to be chosen from MEPs rather like ministers are in Westminster.

I hope that events in Ukraine settle down, but the future of that country lies to the west, the past to the east.

Bit of a stretch Mark!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Not at all - it's clever (even you should admit that). He is saying, in effect, to Scotlandshire that, analagous to a US municipality, it can issue its own debt. They are quoting up to 120bps spread over treasuries which is roughly where it is in the US.

If nothing else then the rating agencies will give Scotland a good idea of the likely price (not completely accurate of course) of debt of an independent nation and that should inform the indy debate.

Oh and here I am commenting on Scotland again. Will I never learn...?
  • Options
    UK unemployment numbers at 0930hrs.

How close to 7% ?
  • Options
    Looks like the incompetent fops are going to have another another go at those fiendishly clever goalpost moving badgers.
    Judy Gilbert ‏@zinfandelorgani 12m

Badger cull roll out decision due soon: Tell David Cameron to Kill the Cull, not the Badgers http://bit.ly/1bhDN9f via @HSIGlobal
    It didn't end well for out of touch twerps the last time.
  • Options
    MalcolmG

The other day, you were warned about swearing at other posters, calling someone a richard head is unacceptable.

Can you please stop using such language, or stronger action will be taken.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Why would the SNP 'we'll renege on our debt if we don't get our way' government be leery of entering the international bond market, I wonder?
    It is a poxy £2B
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Looks like the incompetent fops are going to have another another go at those fiendishly clever goalpost moving badgers...
    It didn't end well for out of touch twerps the last time.

In fairness to the government, the objection to culling on the ground of perturbation is only an argument for culling nationally rather than in limited pilot areas. There can of course be no argument for the principle that one should need a licence of the Secretary of State to destroy dangerous, parasitic and predatory vermin on one's own property. It ought to be the birthright of an Englishman.
  • Options

MalcolmG

The other day, you were warned about swearing at other posters, calling someone a richard head is unacceptable.

I am trembling in my shoes, you getting the tazers charged up
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

Nah - the pb.com claymore will get an outing....
  • Options
    I think I'll put the Telegraph photo editor as "undecided'

Scotland can issue bonds - but they'll cost more
    The Treasury has given Edinburgh permission to issue up to £2.2bn on the international bond markets but has warned that it will not be able to borrow at the UK's low borrowing rate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10647244/Scotland-can-issue-bonds-but-theyll-cost-more.html
  • Options
    Hard to believe the Nasty party aren't very popular in scotland.
    Zoe Williams ‏@zoesqwilliams 15m

"We're helping people out of hopelessness" says Cameron, as he strips money away from disabled people http://gu.com/p/3mpjt/tw
  • Options

I think it was me, pointing out that in the 1978 referendum there was a 63% turnout.

I think you'll find the turnout for a 1978 referendum was precisely zero.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

We've revoked the ability of other posters to instantly publish when they've not been able to adhere to the instructions about not swearing.

We really don't want to have to do that with you.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

It is a poxy £2B
    How much more do you want to borrow?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

I like a bit of feistiness. Shows you care, Malcolm. I don't want to get on the wrong side of the mods but I would say: go for it!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

Be fair Malcolm. It's not as if the PB language police are protecting right wingers who happily use terms like "retarded" to describe other posters.

LOL

:)
  • Options

Which is why, for the time being anyway, Westminster has ruled out a currency union. It has no interest in smoothing the SNP’s road to independence, and why on Earth should it have?

You agree with Pa Massie's 'for the time being anyway' view?
  • Options

Oblitus's comments are interesting, but quite dependent on ICM's methodology (which dampens swings from the LibDems and to UKIP by assuming a partial reversion to past behaviour).

As I understand it, ICM apportion some of those who say don't know to the party they voted for in 2010. This will have the appearance of dampening the swings from the Lib Dems and to UKIP in the headline poll numbers, but it shouldn't affect the internal numbers of people who actually tell the pollster that they voted party x in 2010 but will now vote party y if there were a general election tomorrow.

YouGov may give different results, but it is hard to do a direct comparison because they only give the internal figures in terms of percentages and not in absolute numbers. Even so, one has to be careful to net out the figures and to realise that the large percentage of the Lib Dem vote swinging to Labour is of a smaller vote in 2010 than the smaller percentages of Tory/Labour 2010 voters who are also swinging. And, of course, the direct swing-voters count double in Tory-Labour marginals.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,347
    Interesting that the Kippers think that the Tories will still 'win' (albeit with a % of the vote that would make Labour the largest party in seats) even with UKIP on 26% in the polls while most would agree that getting half that in 2015 could result in huge difficulties for the Tories.

Could mean it's tricky convincing Ukip supporters that a vote for Nigel is a vote for Ed.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

Be fair Malcolm. It's not as if the PB language police are protecting right wingers who happily use terms like "retarded" to describe other posters.

LOL

Mick, please withdraw that accusation, because the last two posters banned for using bad language on PB have been right wingers swearing at left leaning posters.
  • Options
    Ned Simons ‏@nedsimons 21h

Lib Dem Lorely Burt says the party 'desperately' trying to appeal to women in wake of Rennard allegations http://huff.to/1f8KNWZ
    That apocalyptic legal action from Rennard that was much heralded on here still shows no sign whatsoever of taking place. Most curious. ;)
  • Options
    even more no rate rise for a while @ 7.2%....
  • Options
    Unemployment falls 125,000 down to 2,34M

Employment up to 30.1m

BBC News
  • Options

Which is why, for the time being anyway, Westminster has ruled out a currency union. It has no interest in smoothing the SNP’s road to independence, and why on Earth should it have?

You agree with Pa Massie's 'for the time being anyway' view?
    No, I think they've crossed that bridge and burnt it.....electorally 'whats in it for them' if Scotland votes yes?

• Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

LOL

Mick, I suggest you withdraw that accusation, because the last two posters banned for using bad language on PB have been right wingers swearing at left leaning posters.
    What accusation? I merely stated that PB was not protecting right wingers who used terms like "retarded" to describe other posters. Unless there is very easily seen proof of them doing so then it's not an accusation at all, is it?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

There can of course be no argument for the principle that one should need a licence of the Secretary of State to destroy dangerous, parasitic and predatory vermin on one's own property. It ought to be the birthright of an Englishman.

I expect the badgers feel the same way about humans. Fortunately, the badgers have a substantial fifth column, in the form of the majority of the population who disagree with exterminating them for what are ultimately commercial reasons.
    rcs1000 said:

The EU is a mixture of directly elected (the parliament), the indirectly elected (the council of ministers) and the appointed (the commissioners). There is little democratic oversight of the commissioners, who are largely responsible for the disbursement of funds and the implementation of policy.

It would be much more democratic to require each commissioner to be individually ratified by the parliament annually.

The "little democratic oversight" bit is, with respect, simply wrong. As an NGO, it's much easier to challenge Commission actions than British Civil Service actions - there are several routes to do it, depending on the issue. Regular Commission ratification is a possible way forward, but annually might be disruptive - we've never thought of having Ministers annually ratified by Parliament in Britain. Directly electing national commissioners and having a European-wide direct election for the president would make a dramatic difference to accountability, though.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Ned Simons ‏@nedsimons 21h

Lib Dem Lorely Burt says the party 'desperately' trying to appeal to women in wake of Rennard allegations http://huff.to/1f8KNWZ
    Not so desperate they'd make her deputy leader of the party....

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited February 2014
    And the good news surpasses all expectations

Wonderful Labour market statistics this morning with employment up to an all time record high and unemployment crashing down in all segments.

Is there no height St. George cannot scale?

The key findings from this months ONS bulletin:

For October to December 2013, compared with July to September 2013:

• The number of people in employment increased by 193,000 to reach 30.15 million.

• The number of unemployed people fell by 125,000 to reach 2.34 million.

• The number of economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64 increased by 8,000 to reach 8.93 million.

Comparing October to December 2013 with a year earlier:

• There were 396,000 more people in employment.

• There were 161,000 fewer unemployed people.

• There were 23,000 fewer economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64

Will there be any shirkers left to vote for Labour in May 2015?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Something for everyone there - more jobs and more people off the dole but the rate figure went up so lefties and the Beeb can have a day of tautology.

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

LOL

Mick, I suggest you withdraw that accusation, because the last two posters banned for using bad language on PB have been right wingers swearing at left leaning posters.
    What accusation? I merely stated that PB was not protecting right wingers who used terms like "retarded" to describe other posters. Unless there is very easily seen proof of them doing so then it's not an accusation at all, is it?
    Mick, in the past, Malcolm has accused other posters of being retarded/mentally ill, as we don't consider that bad language, richard head is.
  • Options

Even North Korea has elections!

Yes, elections are one of the least important features of a democracy. Equality before the law and free speech are far more important*.

I'm sure there are other features of a democracy that are more important than elections - can pbers think of any that the EU is lacking?

I would think the EU is reasonably okay on free speech and equality before the law, but its clear many people think its democracy is lacking in some respects.

* They will probably tend to lead to a wide franchise as a consequence, but the ability to vote in elections does not have as powerful an effect in the other direction.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The Coalition: Giving Work to the Workers!

Read those numbers and weep, Labour... For they are your unemployed we are now employing.

Labour said it couldn't be done... As usual, they knew feck all about the economy.
  • Options
    Never been the biggest fan of Osborne, but he has done wonders in turning round the economy. It would be a miserable scrote that wouldn't recognise that...

(cue the miserable scrotes!)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    DavidL said:

My guess for the end of 2014 would have tories and Labour both on 36% with the Lib Dems and UKIP both on about 11%.

Despite the almost complete lack of evidence of any benefit so far I find it hard to believe that a year in which the BoE is forecasting 3.4% growth and we will see a return to real wages on any measure (they are already growing on some) will not do the tories some good.

If I am anywhere near right we should have quite an exciting election campaign. In that campaign I think UKIP will be squeezed somewhat but probably not by enough and some Lib Dems will return from Labour giving the tories a win in votes but largest party being very much up for grabs.

The government has certainly benefitted on the secondary questions. It's much better-rated than at the end of 2012. IMO, these are lead indicators of future voting intention.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    The Labour Market figures could have been better! There was an implied rise in unemployment to 7.2% for December, although the figures are quarterly with good reason. Pay rises are increasing, but still depressed.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

LOL

Mick, in the past, Malcolm has accused other posters of being retarded/mentally ill, as we don't consider that bad language
    Well seeing as I'm the target for most of the language strictures you will forgive me for correcting you on that point. I do seem to remember that being one of Mike Smithson's no-go descriptors and not because I've ever used it or remember Malcolm using it.

Though of course if you are fine with posters using it now that is certainly your decision to make.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Is the rate up because it's seasonally adjusted or is it the 10M Bulgarians entering the jobs market ?

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited February 2014

Directly electing national commissioners and having a European-wide direct election for the president would make a dramatic difference to accountability, though.

Electing Commissioners is one thing that individual member states could do on their own. If Cameron and Clegg want to put a question about it on the ballot at the Euros, there's nothing in the EU rules to stop them.

Although in practice I think where this ends up heading, since meaningful treaty change is very hard, is that the president gets indirectly elected via the parliamentary elections, then they leverage their democratic legitimacy to prod the member states into nominating the Commissioners they want in their administration.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

LOL

Mick, in the past, Malcolm has accused other posters of being retarded/mentally ill, as we don't consider that bad language
    Well seeing as I'm the target for most of the language strictures you will forgive me for correcting you on that point. I do seem to remember that being one of Mike Smithson's no-go descriptors and not because I've ever used it or remember Malcolm using it.

Though of course if you are fine with posters using it now that is certainly your decision to make.

1) You are not the target for most of the language strictures, some posters are told on site, some via Vanilla Messaging, some are contacted via email by Mike.

2) The word leftard is prohibited on PB.
  • Options
    As Ashcroft is one of the most favoured pundits on PB a forthcoming thread on this would be unsurprising.
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 16h

'Equidistance' won't be enough for Clegg to win back lost Lib Dems - my latest piece for ConHome: http://bit.ly/1gRrQ9Q

"Before 2010, different parts of the Lib Dem voting alliance had different expectations, many of which turned out to be contradictory. That is why that alliance will be so hard to recreate. As I noted in my research last year (provocatively but not entirely facetiously titled What Are The Liberal Democrats For?), Nick Clegg has perhaps the biggest challenge of any leader in defining his party’s purpose."

To be fair though YouGov and other pollsters have also shown very clearly that under Clegg the 'what do liberal democrats stand for' type of question has been extraordinarily bad for them for quite some time now.
  • Options
    MJW said:

Interesting that the Kippers think that the Tories will still 'win' (albeit with a % of the vote that would make Labour the largest party in seats) even with UKIP on 26% in the polls while most would agree that getting half that in 2015 could result in huge difficulties for the Tories.

Could mean it's tricky convincing Ukip supporters that a vote for Nigel is a vote for Ed.

The implied Others scores from supporters of the big four parties are:
    Tory: 5%
    Labour: 6%
    Lib Dem: 8%
    UKIP: -1%
    This compares with the overall average for Others of 16%.

Is it possible that the supporters of the Nationalist parties were giving percentages within their individual nation, rather than for the UK as a whole? Or do they simply not realise how big the population of England is? I would hope that Green voters aren't quite so absurdly optimistic as otherwise implied...
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

And the good news surpasses all expectations

Wonderful Labour market statistics this morning with employment up to an all time record high and unemployment crashing down in all segments.

Is there no height St. George cannot scale?

The key findings from this months ONS bulletin:

For October to December 2013, compared with July to September 2013:

• The number of people in employment increased by 193,000 to reach 30.15 million.

• The number of unemployed people fell by 125,000 to reach 2.34 million.

• The number of economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64 increased by 8,000 to reach 8.93 million.

Comparing October to December 2013 with a year earlier:

• There were 396,000 more people in employment.

• There were 161,000 fewer unemployed people.

• There were 23,000 fewer economically inactive people aged from 16 to 64

Will there be any shirkers left to vote for Labour in May 2015?

My dear AveryLP, What the statistics say is that unemployment is now stands at 7.2% compared with last months 7.1% (BBC). So who is playing with numbers?

Your St. George has got a Dragon by the tail but it is biting his arse.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    More joy from today's unemployment figures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26230410
  • Options
    BBC:

UK unemployment falls by 125,000

The number of people out of work in the UK fell by 125,000 to 2.34 million in the three months to December, according to the latest figures.

The rate of unemployment now stands at 7.2%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26255696
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    edited February 2014

MJW said:

The implied Others scores from supporters of the big four parties are:
    Tory: 5%
    Labour: 6%
    Lib Dem: 8%
    UKIP: -1%
    This compares with the overall average for Others of 16%.

Is it possible that the supporters of the Nationalist parties were giving percentages within their individual nation, rather than for the UK as a whole? Or do they simply not realise how big the population of England is? I would hope that Green voters aren't quite so absurdly optimistic as otherwise implied...
    Entirely possible, though not so much nationalist parties as people living in Scotland and Wales. The competition, as far as I can see from the 'closed' page, did ask "Guess what the national voting intention breakdown will be at the end of this year ...". But 'national' is indeed hopelessly ambiguous in the UK context and especially in the Scottish or Welsh political context, never mind NI. 'Westminster' would have been much clearer. This may also affect e.g. Labour voters in Scotland, though this will not have so much of an impact on the overall figure for obvious reasons of it being swamped in the UK wide figures..

• Options
    IIRC unemployment fell by a record number last month to stand at 7.1%.
    Now unemployment falls by 125,000 to stand at 7.2%.
    Who's kidding who?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

MalcolmG

We've revoked the ability of other posters to instantly publish when they've not been able to adhere to the instructions about not swearing.

We really don't want to have to do that with you.
    I will be a good boy
  • Options
    More great employment figures...
  • Options
    Slightly more realism creeping in to little Ed's 'decapitation' strategy.
    cameronsfollys ‏@cameronsfollys 3m

[Labour's #Sheffield #Hallam candidate:] Is it probable I’ll beat #Clegg? No. But it’s possible http://is.gd/5AFZ5z
    Not that it's primary purpose was ever really to actually topple him from the seat. Sending a clear message from labour on the undesirability of any theoretical lib/lab pact and coalition with the lib dems under Clegg was also backed up by various other announcements.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    MikeK said:

IIRC unemployment fell by a record number last month to stand at 7.1%.
    Now unemployment falls by 125,000 to stand at 7.2%.
    Who's kidding who?

The employment figures are quarterly, each covering a period that includes two of the three months the last one did.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

It is a poxy £2B
    How much more do you want to borrow?

If we were free of the London bloodsuckers we would not need to borrow, the requirement is only there because London squanders our money on illegal wars , Trident and London infrastructure and benefits.
This discussion has been closed.