Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first Indyref conducted after Osborne’s intervention is

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first Indyref conducted after Osborne’s intervention is out

As Mike correctly forecast the Edinburgh confrontation over the currency might be just what the YES campaign wants, as Yes goes up 6% and no goes down 5%, the changes are from the Survation poll carried out at the end of January. (Note the reason why the changes don’t net off to zero is because of rounding)

Read the full story here

Comments

• I hope you appreciate the fact I stayed up past my bedtime to give you this thread.
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

I hope you appreciate the fact I stayed up past my bedtime to give you this thread.

You should have checked twitter as it leaked ages ago. ;)

Let the shrieking commence!!

Or not. :)
  • I hope you appreciate the fact I stayed up past my bedtime to give you this thread.

Thanks, worth waiting for.
    edited February 2014

I hope you appreciate the fact I stayed up past my bedtime to give you this thread.

Quiet in here, isn't it?

:D

It may be spooky sound of PB right wingers trying to come up with some way of saying this Bowie speech delivered by someone else is what they've been waiting for to seal it for the No campaign without them sounding utterly ridiculous.

"In Japanese myth, the rabbits on my old costume that Kate’s wearing actually live on the moon, Kate comes from Venus and I'm from Mars. So that's nice!! I’m completely delighted to have a BRIT for being the best male. But I am, aren't I Kate? I think it's a great way to end the day. Thank you very, very much. Scotland please stay with us."

A most satisfying day all in all. It's always gratifying to be proved right on multiple fronts. ;)
    More hard work awaits of course but there's going to be quite a bit of anger from labour now as to the 'wisdom' of Cammie and Osborne's master strategy. They hardly sounded convinced as it was. The blame game might just start to get very loud indeed among 'better together'.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Nothing like the opportunity to wipe the smirk off Osborne's face to drive people to the polls.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Crossover approaching, just the wrong kind! ;-)
  • Mick_Pork said:

Quiet in here, isn't it?

It may be spooky sound of PB right wingers trying to come up with some way of saying this Bowie speech delivered by someone else is what they've been waiting for to seal it for the No campaign without them sounding utterly ridiculous.

"In Japanese myth, the rabbits on my old costume that Kate’s wearing actually live on the moon, Kate comes from Venus and I'm from Mars. So that's nice!! I’m completely delighted to have a BRIT for being the best male. But I am, aren't I Kate? I think it's a great way to end the day. Thank you very, very much. Scotland please stay with us."

A most satisfying day all in all. It's always gratifying to be proved right on multiple fronts. ;)
    Maybe they're going through their Bowie back catalogue.
    A good betting market might be the top reasons found for discrediting Survation.

• hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Thanks for that - I still urge caution as its the first poll since the seismic events of last week, but extremely encouraging for the Yes campaign. And to think all those shrill voices down in England were thinking that this would lead to a collapse in the Yes vote - how little they understand the desires and motives of the Scottish voter. I was watching a bit of the independence debate from Monday night IIRC on BBC Parliament - Ruth Davidson, Patrick Harvie, Jenny Marra and Stewart Hosie. When Hosie pointed out Scottish Labour in hock with the Tories over the past week, they cleverly panned to the audience and you could see exactly what they thought of Ms Marra and co over it - so I'm not surprised in the least at the surge for the Yes campaign. Terrificly exciting days ahead. And terrific damage done by Osborne and Darling over the past week too!
  • http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/19/alex-salmond-acting-spoilt-children

the Guardian aiming to help the YES campaign too. pity I guess their circulation is fairly minimal in Scotland
    Mick_Pork said:

Quiet in here, isn't it?

More hard work awaits of course but there's going to be quite a bit of anger from labour now as to the 'wisdom' of Cammie and Osborne's master strategy. They hardly sounded convinced as it was. The blame game might just start to get very loud indeed among 'better together'.
    Very true - as I said last night, I still can't believe that Scottish Labour and Darling (and Alexander and the Lib Dems) were stupid enough to fall behind Osborne's strategy, which clearly showed a complete lack of understanding of Scottish sensitivities. Greater fool them, and let the backstabbing and blood letting commence. Its going to be a hoot! And Scottish Labour can protest and moan and whinge all they like, they've shown themselves as much a Westminster village party as the hated Tories.
    SeanT said:

As predicted, by me (go check), we are seeing an initial surge to YES as Scots get emotional about English Tory "bullying". As the emotions subside, No will widen its lead, once again, as the logic sinks in.

Alternatively the Labour Party is staring at a nightmare scenario. Which isn't all bad.

Either way, I suggest we revisit all these polls in a month when the immediate excitements have sobered up. If YES are still within striking distance at that point, then it is indeed Game On.

*ROARS OF LAUGHTER ETC*

Hahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahhahahahhaa

hahahahahahahhahahhahhahhahahhahhahhahahaaaa

Haaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!!

Oh dear.

wonderful.

Only on PB.
  • BOREDOM!!!!

:)
  • oldnatoldnat Posts: 136
    I would comment, but I'm flying off to NY to Bowie's pad. Seems the whole of Scotland has been invited!
    hunchman said:

Mick_Pork said:

Quiet in here, isn't it?

Very true - as I said last night, I still can't believe that Scottish Labour and Darling (and Alexander and the Lib Dems) were stupid enough to fall behind Osborne's strategy, which clearly showed a complete lack of understanding of Scottish sensitivities. Greater fool them, and let the backstabbing and blood letting commence. Its going to be a hoot! And Scottish Labour can protest and moan and whinge all they like, they've shown themselves as much a Westminster village party as the hated Tories.
    They were bounced into falling behind Osborne and though that did corner them there was a way for them to distance themselves by leaving it all to Osborne and saying they would make their own clear statement of intent at a later date with someone less toxic than Osborne front and centre. Too late now.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Past your bed time. It's only 11.25 in sunny Sydney. As a long term believer in the result, unfortunately in my view, delivering independence, I am not shocked. A proud and cussid people are not going to bend to the view and will of outsiders.

While I dislike nationalism, as it is too frequently based on negative and distasteful emotions and views, it appeals too easily to hate and rhetoric, I will wish them well on the new adventure, and be sad to see them go.
    edited February 2014
    SeanT said:

As predicted, by me (go check), we are seeing an initial surge to YES as Scots get emotional about English Tory "bullying". As the emotions subside, No will widen its lead, once again, as the logic sinks in.

Alternatively the Labour Party is staring at a nightmare scenario. Which isn't all bad.

Either way, I suggest we revisit all these polls in a month when the immediate excitements have sobered up. If YES are still within striking distance at that point, then it is indeed Game On.

SeanT - I don't think you understand just how badly the Scots take to being bullied, and particularly from Westminster. And any notion that they'll forget it in a months time - absolute rubbish. The Scots have long memories over things like this, you only have to look at the Poll Tax for the toxicity it put into the Tory brand up there for example. It would be highly fitting if the Milipede saw his hopes of getting into number 10 dashed by events in September.
    edited February 2014
    SeanT said:

Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

*ROARS OF LAUGHTER ETC*

Oh dear.

wonderful.

Only on PB.
    Tish!

Poor old posh lad. You've been banging on about this proclaiming disaster for Salmond and the SNP for almost as long as the even more amusing Gildas did. Your problem is that some of us know precisely why you developed this scottish obsession since you magically reappeared. So pardon me for laughing at you being hoist by your own petard so completely. You've nobody to blame but yourself.
  • Sean T is right, Osborne doesn't care about pissing Scots off, they hate him anyways, the NO side was never going to win this with loveydoveyness. Fear was always going to be the deciding factor for yes and however much peoples anger may push them to say they want out right now when it comes down to it fear will drive them the other way.
    SeanT said:

Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

*ROARS OF LAUGHTER ETC*

Oh dear.

wonderful.

Only on PB.
    Tish!

Poor old posh lad. You've been banging on about this proclaiming disaster for Salmond and the SNP for almost as long as the even more amusing Gildas did. Your problem is that some of us know precisely why you developed this scottish obsession since you magically reappeared. So pardon me for laughing at you being hoist by your own petard so completely. You've nobody to blame but yourself.
    This is both mad and dull. I said, specifically, and severally, that the initial effect would be a boost for YES. If YES is less than 10 points behind, on average, in a month - THEN we can agree the currency thingy backfired. I don't believe that will be the case.

Anyway it's up to Labour now to do the persuading. They face an existential threat.
    Now you compound things by insulting the Scottish electorate! I'm sure they're perfectly capable of making up their own minds. And all the momentum is behind the Yes campaign - people want optimism and hope in tough times, not a remorselessly negative drivel that the No campaign have put out thus far, and not only that, but a Westminster centric campaign as was shown last week. A thoroughly toxic combination. Something that Salmond and co have exploited to the full.
    edited February 2014
    SeanT said:

It had to be Osborne, as he is COTE.

Oh dear god don't embarrass yourself any further. He is the TORY COTE. He is not the spokesman for labour, scottish labour, or better together. He and the tory party are up for election in 2015 so I'm afraid the idea that his was always going to be the last word on this was always utter nonsense.

Do you even know the differences between the three unionist parties over more powers?
    They do not and can not agree on everything and on some things the difference are far more than cosmetic.

You can stick to Osbrowne's assertions all you like as you do seem fond of being gullible enough to believe any old posturing, just like on the Veto flounce or the IN/OUT referendum. The point you still just can't grasp is they are assertions and this is all about trust.

Both sides are not going to agree. What part of this being a YES/NO referendum didn't you get? So it's blatantly obvious the scottish public will have to choose who they believe. It certainly won't be PB tories and right wingers doing the choosing or persuading. You thought Osbrowne was a good idea. You were wrong. Suck it up.
  • compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    RobD said:

Crossover approaching, just the wrong kind! ;-)

Where..Where......OH BUGGER!

• Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    It was inevitable. I can't for the life of me understand why Scots should even care about keeping the pound. It seemed to boil down to some bizarre belief on behalf of the Westminster village that Scots would recoil at the idea of not being able to use coins with the Queen's head on them. Now I love old Liz as much as anyone, but I really would not use that as even a slight factor in deciding something as important as whether to be an independent country.

So it was a double blunder in that Scottish people felt they were being bullied, and over an issue which they didn't care about to boot and so did not fear the "worst case scenario" that the Westminster politicans were threatening them with anyway. The "No" campaign desperately need to start making emotional arguments about why they should stay in the UK, rather than these absurd technocratic arguments which are completely removed from what people care about (I see Danny Alexander earlier was scaremongering about what "the markets" would do if Scotland went independent, a line of attack which would similarly backfire most probably).
    Just catching up with Peston's 'How China fooled the World' - an equally apt title would be 'How China fooled SeanT' - the debt collapse that's just starting off there is going to be truly epic in scale.

Interesting day on the financial markets - the S&P made it to 1847, but not over the 1850 high at 16th January. Technical indicators pointing to strong falls into the end of February now. Expecting a bounce in March, may not even be the last high now, but its only a matter of time - am still expecting something big to happen in April, and specifically around Easter - lets see.
    Danny565 said:

It was inevitable. I can't for the life of me understand why Scots should even care about keeping the pound. It seemed to boil down to some bizarre belief on behalf of the Westminster village that Scots would recoil at the idea of not being able to use coins with the Queen's head on them. Now I love old Liz as much as anyone, but I really would not use that as even a slight factor in deciding something as important as whether to be an independent country.

So it was a double blunder in that Scottish people felt they were being bullied, and over an issue which they didn't care about to boot and so did not fear the "worst case scenario" that the Westminster politicans were threatening them with anyway. The "No" campaign desperately need to start making emotional arguments about why they should stay in the UK, rather than these absurd technocratic arguments which are completely removed from what people care about (I see Danny Alexander earlier was scaremongering about what "the markets" would do if Scotland went independent, a line of attack which would similarly backfire most probably).

Yep Alexander was claiming that in an independent Scotland, government bonds would be 500 basis points (5%) higher than what's left of the UK's government bonds over the entire yield curve! You couldn't make it up just what a daft unsubstantiated claim that is! And from a Treasury Secretary too - staggering.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2014
    O/T:

I don't know how Bangkok taxi drivers make any money: I had a 45 minute drive from one side of the city to the other and it cost about £3.
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

I don't know how Bangkok taxi drivers make any money: I had a 45 minute drive from one side of the city to the other and it cost about £3.

Same when I was in Quito last November - but diesel was the equivalent of about 17p a litre when I was there, so it made a lot of sense!
    This is what the Met Office were forecasting with regard to precipitation over the December -February period this winter back in November:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/m/8/A3_plots-precip-DJF-2.pdf

EPIC FAIL based on failed AGW models.

Good night all.
    Epic fail from the Met Office over winter precipation - their forecast back last November:

Good night all.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    hunchman said:

This is what the Met Office were forecasting with regard to precipitation over the December -February period this winter back in November:

EPIC FAIL based on failed AGW models.

Good night all.

Come on, hunchman, you're surely not best placed to laugh at the performance of other people's forecasting models!
    edited February 2014
    hunchman said:

SeanT said:

SeanT - I don't think you understand just how badly the Scots take to being bullied, and particularly from Westminster. And any notion that they'll forget it in a months time - absolute rubbish. The Scots have long memories over things like this, you only have to look at the Poll Tax for the toxicity it put into the Tory brand up there for example. It would be highly fitting if the Milipede saw his hopes of getting into number 10 dashed by events in September.
    If you're interested hunchman you can check my second last post on the last thread for some of the biggest reasons why so many No supporters just don't seem to get it and why this is going to be far harder than any of them seem to be prepared for.

True there might be some polling that isn't quite in line with these two later on but that's not even close to being a MOE swing. So I'm afraid that those who have been shrieking for a week on this, predicting disaster and apocalypse for the Yes campaign, the SNP and Salmond, better find something far more convincing than 'this was always the intended effect' for the next week.
  • If even GO can't get Yes out of the 30s, the cause is lost.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The problem is that virtually anything an English person says about Scotland can be misrepresented as "bullying" or "interfering". And if nothing is said, the accusation would then be that Scotland was being "ignored".
    edited February 2014
    AndyJS said:

The problem is that virtually anything an English person says about Scotland can be misrepresented as "bullying" or "interfering".

Utter rubbish. Since when was an out of touch tory like Osborne even that popular among voters anywhere else? He's a walking liability and not just to the No campaign as his omnishambles proved so conclusively.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MonikerDiCanio

'If even GO can't get Yes out of the 30s, the cause is lost.'

I thought with all the shrieking & hysteria Yes had at least drawn level.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    AndyJS said:

The problem is that virtually anything an English person says about Scotland can be misrepresented as "bullying" or "interfering". And if nothing is said, the accusation would then be that Scotland was being "ignored".

Disagree. God knows I don't praise David Cameron often, but I thought his intervention a few weeks ago struck exactly the right note -- giving positive reasons for why Scotland should stay in the UK, giving examples of how we bond over shared cheering on of Scottish and British sportsmen/musicians/etc, and saying that BOTH Scotland and the rest of the UK would suffer economically if Scotland left (whereas, too often, Westminster politicians' interventions often come across as them arrogantly thinking "Scotland is holding us back, they should be grateful we're subsidising them"). More arguments of that tone which are positive and respectful of Scotland, except from people who aren't loathed, and maybe things might turn round.
  • fitalass said:
    "Alex Salmond asked the SNP conference: "Why on earth do we allow this bunch of incompetent Lord Snootys to be in positions of authority over our country?" "

I took the rhetorical question as an example of the First Minister's caustic self-mockery.

edited February 2014
    fitalass said:
    ROFL

After registering the complaint on Saturday he had a 20–minute telephone conversation with a police sergeant who told him the matter would not be reported to prosecutors.

"he told me that those that had discussed the complaint within Lothian and Borders Police had concluded that although Mr Salmond was foolish, their collective belief was that the specific passage in the speech was an attack on what he referred to as people of the upper class."

Even the polis knew fine well they were dealing with a green ink type of nutcase.

More please. "Lord Snootys". Compared to the shrieking from the scottish tory surgers and right wingers on here that's so mild as to be a compliment. Even little Ed has piled far more harsh insults on the fop than that without his supporters blubbering like toddlers.

I hope to god that gets far more coverage than just the Torygraph. That's gold for the Yes campaign. I shall be using that myself elsewhere thanks.

How proud you must be of Osborne and his speech right now dear? No? No praise at all?

The golden rule proved conclusively yet again.

The PB tories are always wrong. The PB tories never learn.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2014
    It appears that Osbourne is wrong if he tells the truth and some unburnished facts. It is a travesty that convenient lies and half truths used for political expediency are, in some quarters, more highly valued than the truth. The truth isn't always popular. It takes balls (along with GO in this case) to tell the truth where it is unwelcome but both true and in the (all of them) national interest to deploy simple straight forward honesty.
  • philiph said:

It appears that Osbourne is wrong if he tells the truth and some unburnished facts. It is a travesty that convenient lies and half truths used for political expediency are, in some quarters, more highly valued than the truth. The truth isn't always popular. It takes balls (along with GO in this case) to tell the truth where it is unwelcome but both true and in the (all of them) national interest to deploy simple straight forward honesty.

If Scotland votes Yes it will do so with its eyes open. That is a good thing for everyone.

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited February 2014
    From a methodological point of view, do we know how Survation weighted this poll? The comparator poll was weighted by Westminster 2010 vote, not the widely viewed as more accurate 2011 Holyrood - something John Curtice (and more than a few Nats) picked them up on at the time:

The effect of Survation’s weighting, predictably, has been to increase the estimated No lead considerably. Before the data were weighted at all (including to make sure that the sample matches the demographic profile of Scotland), the Yes tally stood as high as 43% (after the Don’t Knows are excluded). The weighting has knocked as much as five points off that figure. It looks highly likely that if Survation had followed the same practice as most other pollsters, the reported Yes vote in this poll would have been over 40% – just as it was in last weekend’s ICM poll and is in this weekend’s TNS BMRB poll.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/02/survation-enter-the-fray/
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited February 2014
    Twitter
    David Clegg ‏@davieclegg 5h
    A lot of bemused David Bowie fans from across the world are currently meeting the cybernats over on his facebook page.

euan mccolm ‏@euanmccolm 5h
    actually, it would be holyrood's greatest day if every no voting msp wore the lightning strike make up tomorrow.
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Oh how I long for those heady days off endless discussion of AV, it was indeed a period of excitement compared to this parish council infighting. Osbrowne, Cammieblair, Fop, titters, etc, etc, etc.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    edited February 2014
    Update

It would appear Survation has changed its methodology and this latest one is not comparable with the January survey which was turnout weighted to 2010 Westminster VI.

I'm assuming it was turnout weighted to Holyrood VI.
  • TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

How proud you must be of Osborne and his speech right now dear? No? No praise at all?
    The golden rule proved conclusively yet again.
    The PB tories are always wrong. The PB tories never learn.

On the day this was first mooted I posted on here on 12th Feb (as did others of a Conservative leaning), that this looked like a mistake that could backfire. "The aim is obviously to frighten the Scots about Independence. Could it create an opposite effect in upsetting the scots when 2 English politicians and a politician from the least supported “major party in Scotland” (Lib Dem Scot Danny) treats them in this manner?"
    How is that being proud of Osborne?

Mick, how about waking up to reality and dealing with facts and not this never ending smearing of one group as having some uniform level of daftness? There is no "one view" amongst PB Conservatives on this, to pretend otherwise is deceitful and reduces the value of the site as a place to read interesting views.
  • Update

It would appear Survation has changed its methodology and this latest one is not comparable with the January survey which was turnout weighted to 2010 Westminster VI.

I'm assuming it was turnout weighted to Holyrood VI.

Arf! Just as well a Nat pointed that out before they wet themselves from excitement.....oh......

• Looks like the Osborne-Balls-Alexander coordinated currency intervention and Jose Manuel Barroso’s EU intervention have backfired in quite spectacular fashion.
  • Looks like the Osborne-Balls-Alexander coordinated currency intervention and Jose Manuel Barroso’s EU intervention have backfired in quite spectacular fashion.

Yes, as should have been expected. All outsiders. The only Scot involved being from a party that struggles to get close to a 10% VI.

• TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    Any intervention from London by a Conservative Chancellor would help Yes. That's why he made the intervention. Cameron and Osborne are in favour of separation and can feed the Yes campaign as required. The longterm aim of the elites is to break up Britain as we can be more easily consumed in small chunks.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    ."

Looks like the Osborne-Balls-Alexander coordinated currency intervention and Jose Manuel Barroso’s EU intervention have backfired in quite spectacular fashion.

"It would appear Survation has changed its methodology and this latest one is not comparable with the January survey which was turnout weighted to 2010 Westminster VI"

Or maybe not...........
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I'm very happy with my betting position on Scotland.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

Looks like the Osborne-Balls-Alexander coordinated currency intervention and Jose Manuel Barroso’s EU intervention have backfired in quite spectacular fashion.

Really ? based on what ?
    They will vote NO however.

I look forward to Salmond and Sturgeon similarly making fools of themselves in public.....but as they already do over the simple impact of defaulting on debts over future bond rates, something like "a change in weighting impacting a poll result" is probably well over their heads.....

• Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited February 2014
    Dear Scotland: here are 76 things we'd like to apologise for, love England

28. "Sorry for suggesting that there was a Scottish mafia in the Labour party consisting of Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling, Charles Falconer, Derry Irvine, Michael Martin and John Reid. Apart from the obvious fact that this would be the most effete mafia in mob history, it's unfair to suggest that there's a Scottish conspiracy to ruin Westminster. Or (sinister face) is there?"

57. "Sorry for laughing when Alex Salmond said an independent Scotland's fiscal future was secure because you were sitting on £1tn of North Sea oil and had a long-standing budget surplus. Maybe he's right. After all he is an economist, albeit one at the worst bank in the history of banking, namely the Royal Bank of Scotland."

75. "... We have tried to stop being wankers, but it's really hard! That's just how we are. But we realise that we have thereby contributed to your tragi-comic national psyche. Our bad. Sorry!"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/19/scottish-independence-76-things-apologise
    BETTING POST

Don't take 7-2, 4.08/1 (5.3 after commission) is available on Betfair for YES.

The result will be No but as ever BET WHEN THE PRICE IS WRONG not with what you think will happen.
  • fitalass said:
    They say they must be allowed to keep the pound, or else they won't pay their debts and will force taxes up for every English, Welsh and Northern Irish family. They say they must be allowed to keep the pound but they say they'll continue to charge English, Welsh and Northern Irish students up to £36,000 to study at Scottish universities.

When it comes to bullying, the best that can be said for Alex Salmond and his acolytes is that they're no slouches in that direction. After all, it takes one to know one.
  • felix said:

."

"It would appear Survation has changed its methodology and this latest one is not comparable with the January survey which was turnout weighted to 2010 Westminster VI"

Or maybe not...........
    Feel free to reject these poll findings. That would suit us just fine. We look forward to the next Osborne and Barroso interventions! ;)
  • Dear Scotland: here are 76 things we'd like to apologise for, love England

28. "Sorry for suggesting that there was a Scottish mafia in the Labour party consisting of Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling, Charles Falconer, Derry Irvine, Michael Martin and John Reid. Apart from the obvious fact that this would be the most effete mafia in mob history, it's unfair to suggest that there's a Scottish conspiracy to ruin Westminster. Or (sinister face) is there?"

57. "Sorry for laughing when Alex Salmond said an independent Scotland's fiscal future was secure because you were sitting on £1tn of North Sea oil and had a long-standing budget surplus. Maybe he's right. After all he is an economist, albeit one at the worst bank in the history of banking, namely the Royal Bank of Scotland."

75. "... We have tried to stop being wankers, but it's really hard! That's just how we are. But we realise that we have thereby contributed to your tragi-comic national psyche. Our bad. Sorry!"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/19/scottish-independence-76-things-apologise

the guardian has gone rather mental over the Independence issue. it's quite strange

I look forward to Salmond and Sturgeon similarly making fools of themselves in public....
    Didn't have to wait long:

SNP Depute Leader and Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said:

"This is an exceptionally encouraging poll for the Yes campaign and SNP – when 'don't knows' are excluded, Yes support is now up to 45 per cent, putting us within 5 points of success in September.

"It is clear that there has been a severe backlash to George Osborne's bluster and threats on the pound – with more than half of the No campaign’s lead wiped out in just three weeks, and far more people more likely to vote Yes on the back of the Westminster establishment’s attempted bullying rather than No.

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2014/feb/gap-down-just-nine-points-after-osborne-threat
  • The poll also find that 29 per cent of people are more likely to vote Yes as a result of George Osborne, Ed Balls and Danny Alexander threatening not to share the pound with an independent Scotland - compared to 22 per cent who are more likely to vote No.

52 per cent of people think it would be in the interests of the rest of the UK to join a currency union with an independent Scotland - more than twice the 25 per cent who disagree. 23 per cent don't know.

48 per cent of people back a currency union - more support than for all the other options added together - which translates into 55 per cent when don't knows are excluded.

Constituency vote: SNP: 44%, Lab: 31%, Con: 13%, Lib Dem: 6%

Regional list vote: SNP: 41%, Lab: 30%, Con: 13%, Lib Dem: 8%

Westminster: SNP: 38%,Lab: 33%,Con: 17%, Lib Dem: 6%

I look forward to Salmond and Sturgeon similarly making fools of themselves in public....

"This is an exceptionally encouraging poll for the Yes campaign and SNP – when 'don't knows' are excluded, Yes support is now up to 45 per cent, putting us within 5 points of success in September.

"It is clear that there has been a severe backlash to George Osborne's bluster and threats on the pound – with more than half of the No campaign’s lead wiped out in just three weeks, and far more people more likely to vote Yes on the back of the Westminster establishment’s attempted bullying rather than No.

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2014/feb/gap-down-just-nine-points-after-osborne-threat
    hmm a brass head to go with the brass neck. I wonder what she'll say if it's an outlier and the polls go back to where they were ?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited February 2014

52 per cent of people think it would be in the interests of the rest of the UK to join a currency union with an independent Scotland - more than twice the 25 per cent who disagree. 23 per cent don't know.

Since the split in the other 92% of the UK on Scotland using the £ is 55 no, 26 yes, 19 DK, that's rather academic, isn't it?

Funny Nicola didn't mention that......
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    What Hadrian started Salmond will finish A barrier across the top of Britain..at last
    edited February 2014

Since the split in the other 92% of the UK on Scotland using the £ is 55 no, 26 yes, 19 DK, that's rather academic, isn't it?

Funny Nicola didn't mention that......
    Oh please don't start them off on the everyone will roll over and give us what we want theme, I never know whether to laugh or cry.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    Well this is disappointing if not completely surprising.

If Survation have changed their methodology the swing may not be as great but the results are perhaps more indicative than their earlier surveys based on Westminster voting intentions. There is nothing on their website yet.

Why is it that we only get second or third division polling in Scotland? It is very frustrating.

As I have repeatedly said this is not over. I don't think those commenting from England are getting the full picture. They have the perception that there are two campaigns slogging it out. It is not like that. The "no" campaign is invisible apart from interviews in the media.

The Labour party need to step up to the plate and get a grip. September is by far the biggest single threat to Miliband ever getting to Downing Street. I just don't get why they are putting in so little effort.

• FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    If the Yes vote wins, then what happens with the 2015 GE, are all persons who voted or were registered to vote, disbarred from voting in the GE and are the Scottish Westminster constituencies still valid?
  • I have just woken up. Cough.
    EXACTLY as I feared and forecast.
    One for TGOHF, Carlotta and ScottP to digest.

I guess having Osborne telling the Scots where to go wasn't a great idea after all hey chaps?

We are losing this campaign, Salmond running rings around us again.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The gender split in the TNS poll certainty to vote of men +4 seems counter intuitive. Do we have the data on this issue from the Survation offering ?
    Team GB women curlers in action against Switzerland at 8:30am for the bronze medal play-off.

On Beeb2 and Beeb on-line
    DavidL said:

If Survation have changed their methodology the swing may not be as great but the results are perhaps more indicative than their earlier surveys based on Westminster voting intentions. There is nothing on their website yet.

Why is it that we only get second or third division polling in Scotland? It is very frustrating.

As I have repeatedly said this is not over. I don't think those commenting from England are getting the full picture. They have the perception that there are two campaigns slogging it out. It is not like that. The "no" campaign is invisible apart from interviews in the media.

The Labour party need to step up to the plate and get a grip. September is by far the biggest single threat to Miliband ever getting to Downing Street. I just don't get why they are putting in so little effort.

I don't think that's quite the case DL.

Coverage SOTB has been pretty minimal largely because the campaign has been ridiculously long ( and tedious to date ). I'd expect the tempo to pick up as we get closer to the vote much the same as any other election.

PB isn't really the place to get a good feel for where things are in Scotland since our contributors consist of hardline nats and hardline unionists. There are very few middle of the road Scots on the board and we've suffered in the debate from having no SLAB bloggers to even out the picture or give an alternative view.

As to how campaigning is going I suspect last week was the first serious shots of the campaign and the intensity will increase from here on in with a break of sorts for the Euros in May.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,684
    fitalass said:
    LOL , the Tories are reduced to grubbing in the gutter. Surges forgotten.
    Financier said:

If the Yes vote wins, then what happens with the 2015 GE, are all persons who voted or were registered to vote, disbarred from voting in the GE and are the Scottish Westminster constituencies still valid?

We have debated this before. According to the Scottish Government white paper (the same one that says we will be in the EU, have the £, have a currency union with LOLR, be able to charge English students etc etc) they will be elected as normal. Whether that will be the case or, if so, what voting rights they will have is not something the rUK has commented on yet.

What I cannot see is Miliband as PM based on the votes of MPs from what is soon going to be an independent country. That really would be absurd.

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,157

Thanks! Early days yet but it is a fairly bg change, and the parliamentary VIs are very interesting too.

fitalass said:
    "Alex Salmond asked the SNP conference: "Why on earth do we allow this bunch of incompetent Lord Snootys to be in positions of authority over our country?" "

I took the rhetorical question as an example of the First Minister's caustic self-mockery.

Lord Snooty? But that's a Dundee comic character ... and also an example of the Tory tendency to equate criticism of Tory policies with anti-Englishness, and criticism of people from outside with ditto (didn't know Mr Barroso was English ...).
    I think that it is extremely misleading to suggest that the No campaign is invisible on the ground or online apart from interviews in the media.
    DavidL said:

Have you digested "change in methodology"? Do you understand what it means?

In any case I argued - and maintain - that the intervention in the debate was to be welcomed as an injection of reality into the debate - whatever it's short term impact on the polls.....

As that old joke concludes "Oh Lord, we didna ken" and The Lord, in his infinite wisdom, compassion and mercy said "Weel, ye ken noo"

I look forward to Salmond and Sturgeon similarly making fools of themselves in public.....but as they already do over the simple impact of defaulting on debts over future bond rates, something like "a change in weighting impacting a poll result" is probably well over their heads.....

Unionists are getting rattled as they see reality looming.
    malcolmg said:

fitalass said:
    Which Tory or are you suggesting Scottish police are all Conservatives and "grubbing in the gutter" ?

fitalass said:
    Your desperation is amazing
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,157
    Financier said:

Been discussed on previous threads. But basically unless the GE is postponed to after independence day, there is no way that one can disenfranchise voters in Scottish constituencies just for voting in the referendum. Or even just for being in Scottish constituencies at all. The UK Parliament is, and will still be, the UK Parliament.

It's been suggested that some interim arrangement to replace the Barnett Formula would be needed, to reduce the number of supposedly "English" HoC votes where there is a genuinely Scottish element through Barnett linkage, and this would be sensible. However, whether the Scottish MPs of the unionist parties, mainly Labour, could resist temptation and follow the SNP who currently avoid truly English-only votes would remain to be seen.

• malcolmg said:

Unionists are getting rattled as they see reality looming.
    Oh you big bully ! Please Miss! He's bullying me miss! He said a mean thing miss!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    edited February 2014
    Personally I'm waiting for the first post Bowie IndyRef polling.

Because I think there'll be big Changes in the voting after his intervention, with one side Under Pressure and the other side will be Dancing in the street. They will end up saying David Bowie is on of the Heroes of the Campaign.

I'll get my coat.

DavidL said:

Coverage SOTB has been pretty minimal largely because the campaign has been ridiculously long ( and tedious to date ). I'd expect the tempo to pick up as we get closer to the vote much the same as any other election.

PB isn't really the place to get a good feel for where things are in Scotland since our contributors consist of hardline nats and hardline unionists. There are very few middle of the road Scots on the board and we've suffered in the debate from having no SLAB bloggers to even out the picture or give an alternative view.

As to how campaigning is going I suspect last week was the first serious shots of the campaign and the intensity will increase from here on in with a break of sorts for the Euros in May.
    Alan, the Yes campaign have been organising and having meetings for months. They have literature going to every house, at least in my area, regularly. They are in the city centres with loud speakers, petitions and leaflets. They have the organisation of the SNP to support them whole heartedly.

No so far has none of this. You might be right that it is too early and the effort will start now but I fear that SLAB are (a) incompetent and (b) too conflicted internally to campaign effectively.

hmm a brass head to go with the brass neck. I wonder what she'll say if it's an outlier and the polls go back to where they were ?
    Alan , it is all one way from here I am afraid
    For fans of Scottish rugby this accurate portrayal of the decline in the sport is hard to read :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26257162

edited February 2014
    What is to stop you getting more involved in your area if you don't feel enough is being done on the ground as others have done in other areas?
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Alan, the Yes campaign have been organising and having meetings for months. They have literature going to every house, at least in my area, regularly. They are in the city centres with loud speakers, petitions and leaflets. They have the organisation of the SNP to support them whole heartedly.

No so far has none of this. You might be right that it is too early and the effort will start now but I fear that SLAB are (a) incompetent and (b) too conflicted internally to campaign effectively.

Financier said:

Don't be silly we will vote as normal given the UK will still be intact at that point. Will give some troughers a year to fill their boots, but unlikely that over 40 of them will be pig swilling Labour ones.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    DavidL said:

Financier said:

We have debated this before. According to the Scottish Government white paper (the same one that says we will be in the EU, have the £, have a currency union with LOLR, be able to charge English students etc etc) they will be elected as normal. Whether that will be the case or, if so, what voting rights they will have is not something the rUK has commented on yet.

What I cannot see is Miliband as PM based on the votes of MPs from what is soon going to be an independent country. That really would be absurd.

David - what happens to the Scottish-nationality MPs who are in English constituencies? Will they become "foreign" and if so what would their position be?

thanks
  • JackW said:

For fans of Scottish rugby this accurate portrayal of the decline in the sport is hard to read :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26257162

An article about the decline of Scottish rugby and Andy Robinson isn't mentioned once.

Hmmmm
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited February 2014
    note/addendum: I'm not sure if it's significant that my number of posts is 1066...
  • EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and I wonder how many more votes will go to YES as a result of the inept intervention by David Bowie last night. Why anyone in Scotland would listen to a man who hasn't lived in or paid tax in the UK for years beats me which of course is why Sir Sean Connery is equally irrelevant.

Not at all surprised by the closing polls. It is 1998 all over again. The NO campaign may have all the logical reasoning behind it just as the No No campaign did in 1998 but when people are unhappy with the status quo they never look backwards and always reach out to try something new instead. Scotland is walking straight into independence.

I just wish my sensible chums in the YES camp would admit we will be out of the EU and Nato, will have borders at Berwick and Gretna and will need to revert to the Groat or something similar. As for discussions with rUK they will be far from harmonious. They will be incredibly bloody and it will be at that point we Scots will finally realise Eck and chums have been looking through frosted, rose tinted glasses. Reality post 19th September will be unpleasant for several years.
    fitalass said:

I think that it is extremely misleading to suggest that the No campaign is invisible on the ground or online apart from interviews in the media.

DavidL said:

They are as visible as Tory MP's in the streets of Scotland. David is calling it correctly , a unionist with some principles.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I fear that SLAB are (a) incompetent and (b) too conflicted internally to campaign effectively.
    Hence the endless criticism of SLAB and Miliband from our friends on the left.......oh.......

And why would SLAB be "too conflicted internally"? :Innocent Face:

In any case I argued - and maintain - that the intervention in the debate was to be welcomed as an injection of reality into the debate - whatever it's short term impact on the polls.....

As that old joke concludes "Oh Lord, we didna ken" and The Lord, in his infinite wisdom, compassion and mercy said "Weel, ye ken noo"
    Unspoofable.
  • malcolmg said:

fitalass said:
    And it's a piece from 2012. Not only a squirrel, but it is no more, has ceased to be, is bereft of life and rests in peace.

'Different methodology' currently Top of the Discredit Survation Pops.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, Scotland knew what they were getting with Robinson after his less than glorious reign at Twickenham. Bloody odd decision to hire him.

From the BBC F1 livefeed: "After doing just eight laps on the first day of public testing of the new E22, the Franco-Swiss admitted the team would not even try to find the best handling balance before the first race. 'I don't really care about set-up work,' Grosjean said. 'That's going to be when we are in free practice (in Melbourne). It's just about fixing all the issues and making sure the car is in one piece when we do long runs.'""

I have just woken up. Cough.

No matter how you look at it it is the 7th in a row heading to YES and despite the change to reality in weighting it confirms what we see on the ground in Scotland. The change is all one way.
This discussion has been closed.