Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 20th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited February 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 20th 2014

Canton on Cardiff (Lab Defence)
Result of last election to council (2012): Labour 46, Liberal Democrats 16, Conservative 7, Independents 3, Plaid Cymru 2, Heath Independents 1 (Labour overall majority of 17)
Result of last election (2012):

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2014
    Two in a row. Get in!

[sadly, about the only thing I've accomplished today]

Anyway, those don't look like very interesting by-elections, do they. Can't see either resulting in a change.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Two in a row. Get in!

Anyway, those don't look like very interesting by-elections, do they. Can't see either resulting in a change.

Bit of a snore fest - Lab and Tory defending safe seats in their heartlands. Hmm.
  • Options
    Good to see Billy Bragg helping out by promoting Scottish independence - thanks for that Billy!

He's not looking to change the world, he's just looking for a New (Tory) England.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    These awful images from the streets of Kiev show the full brutality of Vladimir Putin and his puppets' regimes. Evil, evil people. How do these soldiers shoot their own countrymen over political protests even sleep at night... sometimes I hope there's a hell just so people like this can rot in it.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Why Canton ON Cardiff? Interesting that Ukip aren't even bothering, I'd have thought they might get at least a few discontent voters around here. It's a pretty varied ward with a large working class element and young arty types too. For once I didn't get the impression voting had been brisk.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Two in a row. Get in!

I wouldn't focus too much on change. Will we see the start of a Lib Dem revival?
  • Options
    Fpt:

Now, remind us again Eck about why it was so smart to go on about business transaction costs...as being a big issue for England

Independence 'would cost Scottish businesses more than their English competitors'
    New figures show transaction costs for a Scottish company would be 11 times that of its English peer if there was no deal to share the pound.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10240776/Independence-would-cost-Scottish-businesses-more-than-their-English-competitors.html

Imagine the fuss the BritNats would make if the only links Yes supporters ever posted were to Yes-supporting media. They'd go bananas. And yet they are always so pleased with themselves when they post re-prints of Conservative central office press releases.

A key rule in politics is: never believe your own propaganda.

ScotNat paranoia reaches new heights if they think Johan Lamont is quoting "Conservative Central Office press releases" when it is in fact figures compiled by Holyrood officials

So 1) I'm quoting Labour from 2) Holyrood civil servants....

I look forward to you quoting from similarly eclectic sources...

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The Times will rue the day...
    Without the UK, Scots couldn’t win curling gold
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4011537.ece
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited February 2014
    Off-topic:

Excellent post from a valued, long-standing contributor to this site (and ArRSE). Maybe beyond the comprehension of most "newbs" but worthy of a read by anyone with an interest in democracy....
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Unbelievable that the 14 year old rapist in this Peterborough gang didn't even get a prison sentence. And two of the others only got five years. Meanwhile these quotes from the victims saying they won't ever be able to get over it... you have to question the justice system in our country sometimes.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

fpt

I'm drinking this: http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?id=274579448

It is, without question, the best South African wine I have ever tried.

Chakalaka!!

Sorry but I have to share this (twice). When you find something this good.... oooh.... it's actually better than any southern Rhone blend I've tried (the wine on which it is clearly modelled).

*end of wine infomercial*

Despite your insolence earlier I have bookmarked this, on the assumption that your palette is better than your manners. Cheers!
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Socrates said:

Unbelievable that the 14 year old rapist in this Peterborough gang didn't even get a prison sentence. And two of the others only got five years. Meanwhile these quotes from the victims saying they won't ever be able to get over it... you have to question the justice system in our country sometimes.

If the judges lived in the same areas the sentences would quadruple.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Why Canton ON Cardiff?

It is a raised district, sitting 200ft above the Welsh capital, on stilts.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Not familiar with the story, but if he was 14 then different rules will apply compared to if we were dealing an adult. We actually have a very young age of criminal responsibility in this country compared to other places, certainly in Europe. Do we ever actually send 14 y/o to prison?

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    O/T @Yokel - Thanks so much for your comments on Ukraine - fascinating to read, so please do keep them coming if possible.
  • Options
    Are we having a party to celebrate Hazel's retirement?
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    No UKIP candidates standing tonight.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Socrates said:

Not familiar with the story, but if he was 14 then different rules will apply compared to if we were dealing an adult. We actually have a very young age of criminal responsibility in this country compared to other places, certainly in Europe. Do we ever actually send 14 y/o to prison?

It was a multigenerational Roma gang, who did the familiar story of preying on girls in their early teens/preteens, systematically raping them and forcing them into prostitution.

One of them will be out by the time he's 23 even if he fulfils his full sentence. Meanwhile some of these young girls won't ever be able to enjoy adult sexual relationships with people that love them. What the hell is wrong with these judges?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

fpt

I'm drinking this: http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?id=274579448

Chakalaka!!

Sorry but I have to share this (twice). When you find something this good.... oooh.... it's actually better than any southern Rhone blend I've tried (the wine on which it is clearly modelled).

Despite your insolence earlier I have bookmarked this, on the assumption that your palette is better than your manners. Cheers!
    Cheers indeed. It is a bloody amazing wine, and a serious bit of blending:

51% Syrah, 16% Carignan, 11% Mourvedre, 11% Souzao, 8% Grenache, 2% Tannat, 1% Petite Sirah; all matured in French oak (25% new) for 13 months. - See more at:

http://winetrust100.co.uk/shop/chakalaka-spice-route/#sthash.Grng2hGp.dpuf

It seems I am not alone in my appreciation:

http://www.decanter.com/dwwa/2012/wine/spice-route-chakalaka-2009/8039

I'm not sure any Old World wine matches it for surprising and delicious complexity. Certainly not in this price bracket.

I am currently supping a very average Bordeaux.
  • Options
    @Socratese
    "How do these soldiers shoot their own countrymen over political protests even sleep at night... "

Unfortunately very easily.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

The idea that Judges at the Central Criminal Court are soft, let alone His Honour Judge Bevan, is absurd.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour now five points ahead: CON 34%, LAB 39%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    Socrates said:

As usual when it comes to matters pertaining to criminal justice, you are incapable of dispassionate analysis. The fourteen year old defendant was not convicted of rape, for which the maximum sentence is life, but of a single count of causing a child to engage in sexual activity as a child or young person contrary to section 13(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003. The maximum sentence for that offence is a term of five years imprisonment. Assuming you are acquainted with the facts of the case and the circumstances of the offence and the offender, what evidence do you have that the sentence was in any way lenient? None, I venture to suspect.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Those different rules effect the cost-benefit calculation behind the 1000s and 1000s of gang-rapes perpetrated by the gang-culture and the cost-benefit calculation of the victims and their family as to whether or not reporting it and going to court will end up being worse for them than keeping their mouth shut.

The political class creating a situation where it makes more sense for the victim's family to keep their mouth shut is why gang-rape is now normal.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2014
    Socrates said:

It was a multigenerational Roma gang, who did the familiar story of preying on girls in their early teens/preteens, systematically raping them and forcing them into prostitution.

One of them will be out by the time he's 23 even if he fulfils his full sentence. Meanwhile some of these young girls won't ever be able to enjoy adult sexual relationships with people that love them. What the hell is wrong with these judges?

Ah yes, it is all the judges fault. If the sentences are unduly lenient, then write to Her Majesty's Attorney General, who can apply for leave to refer the sentences to the Court of Appeal. It is more likely that the judges are putting the law as enacted by Parliament into execution in accordance with their oaths.
  • Options

MrJones said:

The idea that Judges at the Central Criminal Court are soft, let alone His Honour Judge Bevan, is absurd.
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/nov/26/gangs-sexual-violence-warzones
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

fpt

Chakalaka!!

51% Syrah, 16% Carignan, 11% Mourvedre, 11% Souzao, 8% Grenache, 2% Tannat, 1% Petite Sirah; all matured in French oak (25% new) for 13 months. - See more at:

I'm not sure any Old World wine matches it for surprising and delicious complexity. Certainly not in this price bracket.
    I am currently supping a very average Bordeaux.
    Classic French wines - Bordeaux and Burgundy, etc - are nearly always disappointingly average, because the good stuff is raised to an insane price by investors and Chinese trillionaires.

For really decent French wine below £15-£20 you have to go to less explored areas (like Languedoc) but I'd suggest that the best wine between £5-£20 is practically all made in the New World; though Portuguese and Austrian reds are worth exploring, and I had some remarkable English - English! - sparkling wine the other day.

Rioja: very reliable stuff.
  • Options
    MrJones said:
    How does that in any way challenge the point I made, namely that there is no evidence that Old Bailey Judges are more lenient than say a Circus Judge in Peterborough, where the offending took place. If I were a defendant, I know who I would rather be sentenced by!
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Socrates said:

Ah yes, it is all the judges fault. If the sentences are unduly lenient, then write to Her Majesty's Attorney General, who can apply for leave to refer the sentences to the Court of Appeal. It is more likely that the judges are putting the law as enacted by Parliament into execution in accordance with their oaths.
    Nonsense! it's all to do with 'uman rites. Blame Blair sucking up to the EU.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Scott_P said:

Why Canton ON Cardiff?

It is a raised district, sitting 200ft above the Welsh capital, on stilts.

In reality it's as flat as a pancake
  • Options

MrJones said:
    How does that in any way challenge the point I made, namely that there is no evidence that Old Bailey Judges are more lenient than say a Circus Judge in Peterborough, where the offending took place. If I were a defendant, I know who I would rather be sentenced by!
    Wrangling my brains to figure out how you got to that point i guess you're thinking when i said

"If the judges lived in the same areas the sentences would quadruple."

you think i meant Peterborough vs London rather than hell estate created by the political class vs leafy house out in the country?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MrJones said:

Socrates said:

The political class creating a situation where it makes more sense for the victim's family to keep their mouth shut is why gang-rape is now normal.
    gang rape outside of your fevered imagination is far from normal. The reason it provokes such strong reaction is because it is anything but normal.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Do you have any evidence that the Convention Rights of the defendants were even raised, let alone taken into account by the Central Criminal Court when it passed sentence? I doubt it. In fact, for reasons unconnected with the incorporation of the Convention into domestic law, sentencing has become more severe since the entry into force of the Human Rights Act 1998.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    YG average Lab lead w.e 7th feb 5.2%
    w.e 14th feb 5.6%
    w.e 21st feb 6%
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Wrangling my brains to figure out how you got to that point i guess you're thinking when i said

you think i meant Peterborough vs London rather than hell estate created by the political class vs leafy house out in the country?

It is probably true that if we ditched the requirement for the judges to be qualified lawyers of high ability then the average sentence would increase. There is a reason why judges do not live on what you describe as 'hell estate[s]'. I for one prefer the rule of law to the rule of the mob.
  • Options
    saddened said:

MrJones said:

Socrates said:

gang rape outside of your fevered imagination is far from normal. The reason it provokes such strong reaction is because it is anything but normal.

What strong reaction? Has Cameron, Clegg, Miliband or Johnson even mentioned the Children's Commission report? The reaction from the political class has been total silence.
  • Options

MrJones said:

It is probably true that if we ditched the requirement for the judges to be qualified lawyers of high ability then the average sentence would increase. There is a reason why judges do not live on what you describe as 'hell estate[s]'. I for one prefer the rule of law to the rule of the mob.
    If the judges lived where the problem exists and thus knew the scale of it and how it got so bad then the sentences would quadruple.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited February 2014

YG average Lab lead w.e 7th feb 5.2%
    w.e 14th feb 5.6%
    w.e 21st feb 6%

Rain affected pitch temporarily takes Miliband spin.

Since drying out is returning to true blue bounce.

Poor compouter condemned to continue circling the boundary like a beast of burden.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

saddened said:

MrJones said:

Socrates said:

What strong reaction? Has Cameron, Clegg, Miliband or Johnson even mentioned the Children's Commission report? The reaction from the political class has been total silence.
    Your strong reaction for a start. If it was as common an event as you try to make out, it would be entirely unremarkable. Yet you feel the need to comment on each of these infrequent cases. I try not to be rude, but you are an obsessive, who is fixated on minorities, raping the flower of British womanhood. Which to be frank is more than somewhat creepy and disturbing.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Socrates said:

once again I have to thank you. Every so often I find myself siding toward supporting UKIP on the strength of posters like Richard Tyndall, then you come along and remind me of the majority of kippers mentality and the urge passes.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    The YouGov week runs Tuesday to Sunday (per newspaper) - ie Mon to Fri polling.

Average Lab lead so far this year:

Week 1 - 6.8
    Week 2 - 5.4
    Week 3 - 6.0
    Week 4 - 4.6
    Week 5 - 5.0
    Week 6 - 6.2
    Week 7 - 5.75 (4 polls only, one poll still to come)

So a small dip in week 4 and 5 but entirely possible that that was just sample error.

This week so far is very close to the overall average for the whole 7 week period.
  • Options
    LAB 354 Baby eaters 249

In Sean T land narrow victory
  • Options
    saddened said:

MrJones said:

saddened said:

MrJones said:

Socrates said:

Your strong reaction for a start. If it was as common an event as you try to make out, it would be entirely unremarkable. Yet you feel the need to comment on each of these infrequent cases. I try not to be rude, but you are an obsessive, who is fixated on minorities, raping the flower of British womanhood. Which to be frank is more than somewhat creepy and disturbing.
    1. The reaction from the political class is total silence: Cameron, Clegg, Miliband, Johnson not a word.

2. The majority of victims in London aren't white.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I am not a big fan of South African wines, but that sounds interesting. I do like a Southern Rhone, and generally blended reds are better than single varietals, excluding pinot noir perhaps.

The Birstall byelection sounds interesting. It is a northern suburb of Leicester, not as posh as Quorn or Rothley, but more upmarket than Loughborough. It is adjacent to the Belgrave/Melton road Gujerati area, and the Lib Dem vote is often from middle class asians who have outgrown Labour but not willing to stomach the Tories. It would be interesting to see if the LD vote holds up better than in student areas. There has also been a lot of new housing in the area so may be some demographic change, not sure if there is a particular local issue.
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

fpt

Chakalaka!!

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    MikeK said:

Socrates said:

Just a point of information. The European Court of Human Rights has absolutely nothing to do with the European Union. They are entirely separate institutions and neither the EU nor any of the member governments have any control or say over the working of the ECHR. If we withdraw from the ECHR it is just like withdrawing from the UN or the Hague Convention or any other international convention. If we returned every single MEP this summer as a UKIP one, none of them could do anything about the ECHR.
  • Options
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

Socrates said:

once again I have to thank you. Every so often I find myself siding toward supporting UKIP on the strength of posters like Richard Tyndall, then you come along and remind me of the majority of kippers mentality and the urge passes.

No problem Saddened. We won't miss a lying hypocrite like you.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

The YouGov week runs Tuesday to Sunday (per newspaper) - ie Mon to Fri polling.

Average Lab lead so far this year:

Week 1 - 6.8
    Week 2 - 5.4
    Week 3 - 6.0
    Week 4 - 4.6
    Week 5 - 5.0
    Week 6 - 6.2
    Week 7 - 5.75 (4 polls only, one poll still to come)

So a small dip in week 4 and 5 but entirely possible that that was just sample error.

This week so far is very close to the overall average for the whole 7 week period.

Wow crossover by Dec 15 then
  • Options
    I don't know if it's been mentioned much on here but apparently Labour are only seriously targeting about 60 seats come the next election. They need 67 gains to win a majority. Apparently their canvas returns are suggesting they're best off just focussing on 60 and hoping to be the largest party. That may seem somewhat risky so I can only assume they're very confident there won't be a Lib Dem meltdown against the Tories. It does rather put Labour in the position of the sports team trying to win the league and crossing their fingers in the hope of the right result between their rivals.

The other thing the report points to is that Labour is apparently getting much better canvas returns in the north than the south. So much so that they're only realistically targeting southern seats where the majority they're chasing is >2500. In the midlands and north they're targeting seats up to 5000 majority.

Having looked extensively at the electoral map this has interesting implications. A Labour 'victory' could well see them make more gains in the north west than in the entire south east including London. It might leave a few media people and Blairite strategists obsessed with 'southern marginals' scratching their heads. Only 15 of the 65 key seats they are targeting are in the south.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2014/02/17/your-opinion-on-a-lib-lab-coalition-doesnt-matter-labour-are-going-for-one-anyway/
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I still hate that the BBC killed off Monkey Dust.
  • Options
    I make that 63 out of 270 MPs in the south. A position from which they could pretty much run the country on their own. Has there ever been a British government so unrepresented in the south?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

saddened said:

MrJones said:

saddened said:

MrJones said:

Socrates said:

What a lot of bollocks. This is hardly "infrequent". Even modest estimates reckon that thousands - THOUSANDS - of white British underage girls have been groomed and raped in this manner, by immigrant gangs (usually Muslim) based around fast food outlets and minicab firms, etc

Were you up in arms complaining about the obsessive media attention paid to the singular death of Stephen Lawrence? That was ONE black kid brutally murdered by white racists. Compare and contrast with the practically unmentioned yet industrialised rape, slavery and, yes, murder and cannibalism, of white British girls.

Ugh. People like you. UGH. Mr Jones may be obsessed, even monomaniacal, in your eyes, but he is right, and you are disgustingly, disturbingly wrong. I suggest you are the putrid racist; to you a white British "slut" is less important, morally and intrinsically, than any - ANY - member of a "minority ethnic community".
    Absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    Since we're on wine tips tonight, if your stocks of Champagne have been cleaned out by Christmas, New Year and Valentine's Day, get ye to Waitrose:

http://www.waitrosedirect.com/product/duval-leroy-fleur-de-champagne-nv/025107

This is a seriously good Champagne and a snip at the reduced price of £19.99. I shall be topping up tomorrow.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Birstall is a Lib Dem gain LD 508 Con 419 Lab 355
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    QT

Jeanette Winterson first claims that postmen were too poor to buy shares in Royal Mail and then, when told that all postmen were offered shares without the need for cash subscription, she asked where all the money raised from the share allocation went.

Before waiting for another panellist to speak she answered her own question by stating that the money raised went "to line the pockets of the rich" gaing both a cheer and applause from a large minority of the audience.

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. The thinking of the left.

Thank goodness we have a different class and intelligence of fiction writer posting on PB.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

I don't know if it's been mentioned much on here but apparently Labour are only seriously targeting about 60 seats come the next election. They need 67 gains to win a majority. Apparently their canvas returns are suggesting they're best off just focussing on 60 and hoping to be the largest party. That may seem somewhat risky so I can only assume they're very confident there won't be a Lib Dem meltdown against the Tories. It does rather put Labour in the position of the sports team trying to win the league and crossing their fingers in the hope of the right result between their rivals.

The other thing the report points to is that Labour is apparently getting much better canvas returns in the north than the south. So much so that they're only realistically targeting southern seats where the majority they're chasing is >2500. In the midlands and north they're targeting seats up to 5000 majority.

Having looked extensively at the electoral map this has interesting implications. A Labour 'victory' could well see them make more gains in the north west than in the entire south east including London. It might leave a few media people and Blairite strategists obsessed with 'southern marginals' scratching their heads. Only 15 of the 65 key seats they are targeting are in the south.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2014/02/17/your-opinion-on-a-lib-lab-coalition-doesnt-matter-labour-are-going-for-one-anyway/

The article was comprehensively rubbished by a poster here (IoS). I genuinely have little inside information (my horizon is Broxtowe, full stop, and we're a target by any old definition), but I'd be surprised if any definite decisions had been taken this far out. One has to allow for bluffs and double-bluffs in this stuff - as with the Sheffield Hallam story.

In 1997-2010 we found out if we were considered a marginal about 2 months before the election. (The decision was that we had little chance in 1997, 2005 and 2010, and we were seen as a sure thing in 2001. I've never enjoyed marginal status before - it's jolly nice.)

• Options

If true it shows just how effective Lib Dem campaigning can still be if you ignore your leader. Can only wonder why the party hasn't adopted a similar approach to the European elections.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    SeanT said:

Hey Mark. Time to pay up on our UK/Greek 2013 GDP growth bet?

I think so, no? Email me at tomknoxbooks@gmail.com and I will give you an address for the cheque.

Agreed will Email you tomorrow
  • Options
    Why do say ignore the leader?

If true it shows just how effective Lib Dem campaigning can still be if you ignore your leader. Can only wonder why the party hasn't adopted a similar approach to the European elections.

• Options

The Lib Dem candidate was the previous Lib Dem councillor for the larger Birstall CC division . He only lost very narrowly last May . The difficult part in forecasting the result today was that the other Birstall ward is a bit stronger for the Lib Dems than this one .
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited February 2014
    Scott_P said:

Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour now five points ahead: CON 34%, LAB 39%, LD 9%, UKIP 12%

Crossover cancelled, goalposts to be carried in squirrel formation.

I blame the voters!
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Thank goodness we have a different class and intelligence of fiction writer posting on PB.

You?
  • Options
    It certainly is a good result for the LibDems.

But also a poor result for both the Tories and Labour, with no UKIP to blame. Birstall is the sort of suburban area of which Midland marginal constituencies are made, not dissimilar in ways to Broxtowe.

The Lib Dem candidate was the previous Lib Dem councillor for the larger Birstall CC division . He only lost very narrowly last May . The difficult part in forecasting the result today was that the other Birstall ward is a bit stronger for the Lib Dems than this one .
  • Options

AveryLP said:

You?

McDivvie.

I am a comic and I resent being upstaged.

• Options

The article was comprehensively rubbished by a poster here (IoS). I genuinely have little inside information (my horizon is Broxtowe, full stop, and we're a target by any old definition), but I'd be surprised if any definite decisions had been taken this far out. One has to allow for bluffs and double-bluffs in this stuff - as with the Sheffield Hallam story.

In 1997-2010 we found out if we were considered a marginal about 2 months before the election. (The decision was that we had little chance in 1997, 2005 and 2010, and we were seen as a sure thing in 2001. I've never enjoyed marginal status before - it's jolly nice.)

It sounds like a good strategy to me so if isn't being implemented it should be! I think it's nonsense when people suggest one part of the country holds the key to the election - usually it's said to be London or 'southern marginals'. The marginals are dotted around the country. However it's interesting how many of them appear in clusters. You've got Brighton, Hove and Hastings on the south coast, a ring around Birmingham, 4 or 5 around cough Broxtowe and then 5 or 6 in Lancashire with another 4 or 5 key seats over the border in west Yorkshire. I can't imagine David Cameron would enjoy a by election in Ribble Valley.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    The met office will love tomorrow's Mail.

"Could Met Office have been more wrong?"

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/436623694585016320/photo/1
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

You?

McDivvie.

Hey, it was a compliment!
  • Options

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

You?

McDivvie.

Hey, it was a compliment!
    And returned with a compliment!

We are two nations divided by a common language, McDivvie.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

QT

Jeanette Winterson first claims that postmen were too poor to buy shares in Royal Mail and then, when told that all postmen were offered shares without the need for cash subscription, she asked where all the money raised from the share allocation went.

Before waiting for another panellist to speak she answered her own question by stating that the money raised went "to line the pockets of the rich" gaing both a cheer and applause from a large minority of the audience.

The woman is completely divorced from reality, another ghastly representative of the ill informed, spiteful left.
  • Options

Because he's electoral poison. They have sadly put him front and centre in the European elections campaign.
  • Options
    He wasn't electoral poison in Birstall today.

Because he's electoral poison. They have sadly put him front and centre in the European elections campaign.

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Fantastic stuff! And you can have a look back at 1am this morning, and I posted precisely that. The Met Office really should be made to account for their AGW model nonsense output. Hopefully this is just the start.
  • Options
    Cardiff is a Labour hold but large swing to Plaid aided by collapse in Green vote
    Lab 1201 Plaid 972 Con 381 Green 148 TUSC 101 L:ib Dem 80
  • Options
    Welsh Health Minister getting drubbing on Newsnight from Laura Kuensberg - about this:

Persistently high death rates in Welsh hospitals should be investigated, the medical director of the English NHS has suggested to his Welsh counterpart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26272389
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Liz Kendall is coming across well, though. Passionate and articulate and much more human and humourous than most Labour front benchers. She even elegantly laughed off being mistaken for Rachel Reeves by Philip Hammond.

She has moved to the front bench very quickly since reaching parliament. One to watch, not yet seen any odds as next leader.

AveryLP said:

QT

The woman is completely divorced from reality, another ghastly representative of the ill informed, spiteful left.
  • Options

Cardiff is a Labour hold but large swing to Plaid aided by collapse in Green vote
    Lab 1201 Plaid 972 Con 381 Green 148 TUSC 101 L:ib Dem 80

As I said earlier today the only leaflet I got was from Plaid moaning about Labour cuts on the council. Give them praise for making an effort as no-one else did.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    hunchman said:

Fantastic stuff! And you can have a look back at 1am this morning, and I posted precisely that. The Met Office really should be made to account for their AGW model nonsense output. Hopefully this is just the start.
    Funnily enough, your post was what I thought of when I saw the front page. :-)

• Options

He wasn't electoral poison in Birstall today.

I doubt they put a big picture of him in their leaflets.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    MaxPB said:

I still hate that the BBC killed off Monkey Dust.

Didnt it end because one of the creators died?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,675
    edited February 2014
    @UKELECTION2015

#CHARNWOOD Birstall Wanlip
    #LIBDEM GAIN
    Simon SANSOME LD (39.6%)
    Mary ALLEN CON (32.7%)
    Marilyn COWLES LAB (27.7%)
  • Options
    You have been drinking too much blended red, Dr. Sox.

Her voice was ever soft,
    gentle and low: an excellent thing in woman.

I would always prefer, as a leader, a loyal Cordelia to shrieking Goneril or Regan.

Liz Kendall must learn not to interrupt. I bet she talks with her mouth full too.

Liz Kendall is coming across well, though. Passionate and articulate and much more human and humourous than most Labour front benchers. She even elegantly laughed off being mistaken for Rachel Reeves by Philip Hammond.

She has moved to the front bench very quickly since reaching parliament. One to watch, not yet seen any odds as next leader.

AveryLP said:

QT

• Options

AveryLP said:

QT

The irony of her and that revolting woman going on about male dominated bad behaviour at PMQ when the pair of them did not stop interrupting everyone else all evening.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I like them a bit feisty.

Katherine rather than Bianca for my Petruchio

Wines that is, but politicians also!
    AveryLP said:

Her voice was ever soft,

I would always prefer, as a leader, a loyal Cordelia to shrieking Goneril or Regan.

Liz Kendall must learn not to interrupt. I bet she talks with her mouth full too.

AveryLP said:

QT

• Options
    These right wing males on here don't like it up 'em.

Go Liz!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    The latest poll on same-sex marriage in Ireland is 76% in favour to 19% against.

There's been lots of money to make in the recent past backing 'no' in Irish referendums as it started off polling badly and the undecideds broke that way (eg Lisbon, abolishing the senate).

My prejudice was to back 'no' for this one on the expectation that it would end up much tighter but so far 'yes' is staying strongly ahead.

Paddy Power have a variety of markets - the referendum is expected next year.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Her voice was ever soft,

AveryLP said:

QT

Avery, if she was a Tory MP, you would have ejaculated yellow boxes a.o.t.s. for that performance.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have always admired a man who could propose marriage with such authority:

And, will you, nill you, I will marry you.

But we should desist. It will only encourage Sunil.

I like them a bit feisty.

Katherine rather than Bianca for my Petruchio

Wines that is, but politicians also!

AveryLP said:

Her voice was ever soft,

AveryLP said:

QT

• Options
    What a disgusting metaphor, compouter.

Pad your shoulders and the goal posts won't hit your head.

AveryLP said:

Her voice was ever soft,

AveryLP said:

QT

Avery, if she was a Tory MP, you would have ejaculated yellow boxes a.o.t.s. for that performance.
  • Options
    Winterson wrote one decent book a couple of decades ago, and nothing memorable since, but it seems that we always have to have a celeb on the QT panel to spout populist nonsense.

Kendall has a bit of charm, and got the balance more or less right. Shadow Health isn't a bad place to be with Milliband gunning for Burnham, she may make a step further up at the next reshuffle.

AveryLP said:

QT

The irony of her and that revolting woman going on about male dominated bad behaviour at PMQ when the pair of them did not stop interrupting everyone else all evening.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Her voice was ever soft,

AveryLP said:

QT

It's not my head that I am worried about, my arms are killing me. We are coming up to the year anniversary of your first predicted polling crossover and I have been moving the goalposts on your behalf ever since.....and that's without even mentioning the chiro I have had to have on my back.
  • Options
    You lefties are never satisfied.

I give you a job and all you do is complain.

You'll be demanding a living wage next, compouter.

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Her voice was ever soft,

AveryLP said:

QT

It's not my head that I am worried about, my arms are killing me. We are coming up to the year anniversary of your first predicted polling crossover and I have been moving the goalposts on your behalf ever since.....and that's without even mentioning the chiro I have had to have on my back.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I am

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Her voice was ever soft,

AveryLP said:

QT

I am afraid you may have taken a life long job. There may not be a Conservative party as we know it after GE2015 !!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    SeanT said:

saddened said:

MrJones said:

saddened said:

MrJones said:

Socrates said:

What a lot of bollocks. This is hardly "infrequent". Even modest estimates reckon that thousands - THOUSANDS - of white British underage girls have been groomed and raped in this manner, by immigrant gangs (usually Muslim) based around fast food outlets and minicab firms, etc

Were you up in arms complaining about the obsessive media attention paid to the singular death of Stephen Lawrence? That was ONE black kid brutally murdered by white racists. Compare and contrast with the practically unmentioned yet industrialised rape, slavery and, yes, murder and cannibalism, of white British girls.

Ugh. People like you. UGH. Mr Jones may be obsessed, even monomaniacal, in your eyes, but he is right, and you are disgustingly, disturbingly wrong. I suggest you are the putrid racist; to you a white British "slut" is less important, morally and intrinsically, than any - ANY - member of a "minority ethnic community".
    "by immigrant gangs (usually Muslim) based around fast food outlets and minicab firms, etc"

Bollocks ! When did you read an Indonesian or Moroccan Muslim have been found guilty of this ? It's like saying a Brazilian catholic is the same as a Polish one.

I think you were trying to say Pakistani or Afghan !

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited February 2014
    Dating adventures update.

Spent four days in Cheshire with one I met on the net. She has an interesting back story about a tragedy which befell her long-term partner, described in detail as a 'he.' A little digging of my own reveals the he was really a she, and they were together for many years.

Anyhow, she's only 5'2", superb breasts, very open sexually, bedroom a veritable library of kinky sex books... "Encyclopaedia of Bizarre Sex Practices", etc...

This is the one whose opening gambit was to pen a thousand word porno essay about what she would like to do to my nether regions, and how I could engage in congress with her in public.

In between (indoor) bouts, she takes me to visit wealthy parents who have horses on a farm. Later she asks me to drive her to the local saddlery. Turns out it's moved. We track it down. She purchases three short riding crops...

Only when we get back home does she reveal she wants me to use them on her!

I go through the motions, to her delight...

She rewards me in diverse ways, finishing with an all-over body massage with oils.

And we even managed a tour of Knutsford, which is a very pretty town...
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited February 2014
    Seant, don't apologise, we could do with you doing a completely off topic regular Tesco wine recommendation slot on PB. You haven't let us down yet. :)
    SeanT said:

fpt

Chakalaka!!

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    A very underrated actor, Malcolm Tierney, has died aged 75.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26277193

He did an unreal Jim Callaghan in a radio play a few years back...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2014
    This is a great site - probably the best there is - for anyone interested in serious train travel, both in the UK and abroad:

http://www.seat61.com
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Should be interesting to see Fiona Hyslop's reaction if it actually happens. Ex Standard Lifer now a Salmond underling Secretary for Culture and External Affairs. (Joke from a SNP fund raiser quiz night in which she was unable to answer a single question).

If SL does go south, apart from losing 5000 odd jobs in Edinburgh, there is the loss of the funds controlled by SLI, in total, several hundred billion disappearing south of the border. SL's bankers these days are HSBC so not much difficulty in moving the money.

Just the vague possibility will have Salmond, Sturgeon and Swinney going grovelling to Lothian Road to see David Nish and Gerry Grimstone.

This discussion has been closed.