Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What are defined as major parties: Ofcom rules make it qui

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What are defined as major parties: Ofcom rules make it quite difficult to exclude Nick Clegg from GE2015 TV debates

Thoe parties defined as “major” have a special status when it comes to radio and TV coverage. Currently LAB, CON and LDs are in this category. UKIP isn’t.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    "quite difficult" = quite an understatement?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    FPT:

Mick_Pork said:

The obsequious Cameroons had better get used to seeing the fop chicken mocked from now until May. Cowardly Cammie might want to have another think about how this will look to tory kipper waverers.

David Jack ‏@DJack_Journo 1h

Chicken Ed & Chicken Dave adorning @Nigel_Farage's @twitter profile pic.twitter.com/gQNnTwECLy
    It's quite something when even Calamity Clegg looks braver than the incompetent fop.
    Now,now mick,wasn't it you and tim who kept telling us about Cameron banging on about Europe was bad for tories.

Of course it is. The Cameroons problem is that it's going to be just a touch difficult to fight a set of EU elections without talking about it. The word impossible springs to mind.

If Cammie really does want to hide behind Clegg then perhaps he should take a moment to consider just how that's going to look to his own angry tory Eurosceptics by forcing Clegg to defend and praise all his EU policies for the coalition. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet than cower in fear behind a human shield like the fop chicken wants to.
  • Options
    "Changes in the electoral landscape" is a rather broad definition of what will be "periodically reviewed" (over what period?) Who decides?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427
    Looks like Ireland are going to fall short. But the hopes for some recovery of English morale must be higher after this.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    It`s very bizarre that Ofcom just sniffs the air and decides who the major parties are.Surely there are criteria which are written down somewhere?
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2014
    The outrageous restrictions on free speech which have always governed broadcasting in this jurisdiction become ever more apparent. Neither radio nor television are today natural monopolies. It is high time that these authoritarian controls were scrapped.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

"Changes in the electoral landscape" is a rather broad definition of what will be "periodically reviewed" (over what period?) Who decides?

SMukesh said:

It`s very bizarre that Ofcom just sniffs the air and decides who the major parties are.Surely there are criteria which are written down somewhere?

They are, it mainly boils down to past electoral performance and current polling.

I can dig up some stuff about it if people are particularly interested.
  • Options
    FPT
    viewcode said:

There are plenty of non-sovereign territories that are in the Commonwealth.

Sunil, hi! You're normally good at detail but I think you're wrong here. Although many of the Commonwealth members[2] are very very small (Nairu, Tuvalu for example) all are sovereign states. I think some of them still have the House of Lords as supreme court of appeal (Bahamas?), but that doesn't stop them being sovereign states (otherwise Canada wouldn't have been a member until the 1980's). The FCO says that the only category of membership in the Commonwealth is that of a sovereign state as full member.[1]

[1] http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmfaff/114/11410.htm
    [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations

Ooops! Sorry - I was thinking too much in terms of the Commonwealth Games, where every remote island seems to take part!
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    corporeal said:

SMukesh said:

They are, it mainly boils down to past electoral performance and current polling.

If it's online and you can point to it that'd be appreciated - at least it could tell us what UKIP need to do to be included / how far the Lib Dems need to fall to not be.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Lennon said:

corporeal said:

SMukesh said:

If it's online and you can point to it that'd be appreciated - at least it could tell us what UKIP need to do to be included / how far the Lib Dems need to fall to not be.
    I'll have a poke around OFCOM's website and try and put something together.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    The last survivor of the 1945 election turned 99 this week...
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/politics/2013/02/face-face-enigma
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,477
    edited February 2014
    UKIP should be considered one of the big four - remember my tweet from this morning?

twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/436835419825520640
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Seems reasonable, and as the rules state, these things will be periodically reviewed around changes in the electoral landscape. As much as I occasionally see comments that the LDs are irrelevant, you want to make sure any support for new parties, or older ones on decline, lasts logner than the life cycle of one parliament before you go changing definitions.

Even with UKIP's rise and the LD decline, if the LDs get more votes in GE2015 than UKIP, which to change would require something like the LDs lose half their vote (possible if current polls are correct, though I suspect they won't lose quite that much) and UKIP more than triple theirs (ambitious, though doubling seems a good bet), that would make reviewing what is and is not a major party difficult, even if UKIP don't maange to win a seat on those levels (several million votes is hard to ignore even with no MPs)

I've seen it said that the UK is kind of a two and half party system, with the LDs nationally and the regional parties in the devolved adminstrations messing with the two party formula, and with UKIP I'd say we're close to a 2 and three quarter system - only two parties have a chance of winning a majority, one other has a chance of being a coalition partner, and the other can't do either of those things yet, but unlike the Greens has genuine significance, and unlike the regional parties it has UK wide significance (by virtue of size that is - even if UKIP do really badly in Wales and Scotland, if they do well in England then numerically they have an impact on the national debate in a way the regional parties have no aspiration for)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    OFCOM don't just 'sniff the air', they have had a consultation and they've published the criteria by which they decide what is a 'major party' (see the link I posted on the previous thread). In particular, one of the criteria is performance in the relevant elections over two electoral cycles. That will unambiguously rule out any party other than Con/Lab/LD being categorised as a major GB-wide party for the lead-up to GE2015.

Now, one can debate whether this is good or bad, but it is how things stand at present, and it's hardly conceivable that the ground rules will change in the next 15 months.

UKIP will be delighted to be excluded, of course. Equally the LibDems will be delighted to be included.
  • Options

UKIP should be considered one of the big four - remember my tweet from this morning?

twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/436835419825520640

We don't have a big four or even a big three. Even in Scotland it's pretty much a two way fight with some significant minor factions in terms of numbers. just like Westminster. The Welsh assembly is close to a big four I guess.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Surely it is right to look again at some of the rules in this new era of television debates.
    Does a party with 23% of the vote at the last election and 9% in the polls now with only 57 MP`s compared to the 250+ MP`s of the big two have the same right of coverage compared to them?
    I can see atleast one debate in 2015 with only Cameron and Miliband as a straight-forward PM contenders contest.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    More interesting data and maps on the election-data.blogspot.co.uk website. Does anyone know who is behind it?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    SMukesh said:

Surely it is right to look again at some of the rules in this new era of television debates.
    Does a party with 23% of the vote at the last election and 9% in the polls now with only 57 MP`s compared to the 250+ MP`s of the big two have the same right of coverage compared to them?
    I can see atleast one debate in 2015 with only Cameron and Miliband as a straight-forward PM contenders contest.

Well if we were going strictly by who was a PM contender, then the LDs wouldn't have been allowed in last time, and in the event of a hung parliament, unlikely as it is, even the reduced LDs are the most likely option for being included in the government, so they same logic for inclusion would apply from 2010 even if they are running much worse in the polls. If they were allowed last time, how is it reasonable to cut them out on the assumption they will be destroyed next time? They might well surprise us all, end up back in government, and worthy of the coverage.

I really don't see a way that would be reasonable to change anything until after the GE - until the 9% or so is replicated in the GE, for all we know they will rebound to the mid-high teens, which they achieved as recently as the 2001 election, and so be in the same probable sort of position MP and influence wise, as they were in 2010 when the rules said they deserved inclusion. If the consistent lows we have seen for them since 2010 are replicated, a review might well be appropriate. If UKIP get similar percentages and no MPs, that too would be cause for some sort of review I'd say.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Interesting that the "major parties" definition is so vaguely defined. "Electoral landscape" and "across a range of elections" seem like terms that could certainly benefit UKIP.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    The "who are major parties" should be simply defined and not name individual parties

I would suggest as the debates are for the current elections and not previous elections the rule should be simply along the lines of

Have consistently averaged above X% across a basket of polls in the 6 months preceding the decision of who is included.

This accounts nicely for

a) parties that were once large but have had such a huge scandal that they have fallen so low they are likely not to get a small fraction if the seats they held in the last election (example canada)

b) Parties that come from nowhere and suddenly catch the public mood (example italy)

It is ridiculous to think a party could be polling 50%+ in the run up to an election and not be included in the debates on the grounds they haven't done that well in previous elections.

(Sometimes that 50% will evaporate sometimes it will not but polls are based on what the electorate are saying and therefore in my view the electorate should have the ability to see who they say they want to vote for. I am happy to still include those that have previously been more successful in the last election. For example if tory went to 3% in the polls and ukip went to 33% I would still like to see the tory there. Currently however you would likely in that circumstance see cameron but not farage)
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

More interesting data and maps on the election-data.blogspot.co.uk website. Does anyone know who is behind it?

No idea, but I would really like the constituency level mosaic data they have access to - but can't see it publically available anywhere. If anyone does find it...
  • Options
    The latest Chris Christie scandal:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/21/chris-christie-drumthwacket_n_4826459.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

The guy's toast as a presidential candidate.
  • Options
    @ZenPagan

The OFCOM guidelines aren't designed to properly give voice to all the major voices in the debate. They're designed to protect the established parties from insurgents.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited February 2014
    A quick note to DavidL

I noted that you have read Robert Chote's commentary on this month's ONS Public Sector Finances bulletin.

He appears not to have engaged at all with the impact of the Supplementary Estimates on this fiscal year's forecast postponing an analysis of their impact until next month's EFO.

See para 14.

A particular uncertainty is the degree to which central government departments will underspend against the plans for Departmental Expenditure Limits (DELs). Much depends on departments’ reductions in spending in their supplementary estimates, which form their final spending plans, and the extent to which they then underspend against those final plans. Departments supplementary estimates have now been published, and we will update our forecasts of departments underspends against their DELs in our March EFO forecast.

This gets increasingly strange by the day!
  • Options
    Its a tricky one. In Westminster GEs we have a choice of a Labour government or a Conservative government - two candidates for Prime Minister. But the LibDems have a decent number of MPs and UKIP are getting a higher % of votes.

So unless we are going to refuse all other parties because they can't be PM then we should let in any party within reason. Yellow Pox for their MP count. Kippers for their vote share. Any other party want to run candidates nationally we should let them in too. Its a democracy - more debate shouild be better than less debate.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,016

Its a tricky one. In Westminster GEs we have a choice of a Labour government or a Conservative government - two candidates for Prime Minister. But the LibDems have a decent number of MPs and UKIP are getting a higher % of votes.

So unless we are going to refuse all other parties because they can't be PM then we should let in any party within reason. Yellow Pox for their MP count. Kippers for their vote share. Any other party want to run candidates nationally we should let them in too. Its a democracy - more debate shouild be better than less debate.

Common sense would see a couple of debates involving. Farage, Clegg, Miliband and Cameron, and a final one with just Miliband and Cameron.... If the tv companies couldn't agree which got which then each hourly show should be 40 mins of all 4 and 20 mins of just Ed and Dave

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited February 2014
    Al-Beeb II: Not as bad as Savile, so that is ok! What is wrong with our tax-funded, parasitical elite...?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

The last survivor of the 1945 election turned 99 this week...
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/politics/2013/02/face-face-enigma

This is a great read, thanks. A biography of John Freeman would be well worth reading - fingers in so many pies over such a period - but alas part of the attraction is his mystery, and without his cooperation I suspect very little could be verifiably revealed. The insinuation that by virtue of his personally distant charm and relentless focus, he could be diagnosed a "social psychopath", seems rather strong to my taste. Perhaps he was just a gifted man with the (brilliant, dangerous, self-corrosive) ability to get what he wanted - just that what, or who, he wanted was subject to change.

Given his propensity for self-reinvention at decadal intervals, perhaps it was change itself - the variety, the challenge, the novelty - that he desired. His strong sense of personal conviction weighs against the charge of "psychopathy" for me, even if it was accompanied neither by moral fortitude nor political consistency. This piece being in the New Statesman, the harshness of the final criticism might most likely have been provoked by the latter crime. That a former editor could shift in perspectives to become a diplomatic admirer of Nixon, a quasi-Thatcherite media exec, and live in regret of the outcomes of his own policies as a left-wing MP, must be institutionally unpalatable.

Depressingly the piece, or my take-aways from it, show how Britanically prurient I am. (I confess, only considerable self-discipline prevents me haunting the Mail's "sidebar of shame" instead of the convivial, anechoic chamber of PB.) I didn't know John Freeman had an affair with Barbara Castle. Nor that Aylmer Vallance was sacked from his job as editor of the News Chronicle for bonking one of his writers over his desk when the proprietor Lord Cadbury walked in.

Did Vallance do anything without scandal or intrigue? A fascinating, shadowy figure with links to the worlds of letters, politics, the military, diplomacy and spycraft, yet I have only come across in the biographies of others. He surely deserves a book of his own - his Dictionary of National Biography entry is rather coded: it terminates "After a lifetime of sexual adventures he died in London, on 24 November 1955, a happily married man." And if that doesn't want to make you read more, then God bless you for being less dissolute than I.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    Socrates said:

@ZenPagan

The OFCOM guidelines aren't designed to properly give voice to all the major voices in the debate. They're designed to protect the established parties from insurgents.

I was not suggesting the current rules were. I was merely delineating what I thought a sensible neutral set of rules should be in the fortunate event we ever should have something such as an unbiassed quango (probably rarer than occurrences of a) Compassionate conservatives b) financially competent labour ministers c) Lib dems who do not sit on some sort of fence d) Europhile UKIP members e) Black BNP members or last but not least f) Green party members who do not want us to live in stone age settlements

• Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    The Ofcom restrictions and Milibands aspirations are a disgrace. When Labour and Tory Parties were collectively supported by only 37% or thereabouts of those eligible to vote in 2010 and even with the Libdems added these three parties could barely muster 50% of the eligible voting population how on earth can Ofcom take such a closed shop view of our democracy (even if such elitist attitudes are sadly to be expected from those in Westminster)?

Is it any wonder people treat Westminster with contempt? I wonder what legal action can be taken against Ofcom for abusing our democracy?
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    isam said:

Common sense would see a couple of debates involving. Farage, Clegg, Miliband and Cameron, and a final one with just Miliband and Cameron.... If the tv companies couldn't agree which got which then each hourly show should be 40 mins of all 4 and 20 mins of just Ed and Dave

We don't run a presidential system in this country and what are the almost two-thirds of the electorate who don't support Cameron or Miliband supposed to do whilst Cameron and Miliband spend a couple of hours dancing on a pinhead?

Until the criteria for electoral coverage is based on the number of candidates put forward by a party (say inclusive for parties putting up candidates in the majority of seats) rather than based on the elitist parties prior glories/failures then the system of political communications as defined by Ofcom is corrupt.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The article at the top of the thread has a link to the "Ofcom rules" which goes to this:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/guidance/major-parties.pdf

which states "This document sets out the definition of “major parties” as applies to Section Six of the Ofcom Broadcasting Code1 and the Ofcom rules on Party Political and Referendum Broadcast2"

which refers to a link which goes to this:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/elections/

which states "Meaning of "major party":
    At present major parties for each nation in the United Kingdom are defined in the Ofcom List of Major Parties
    "

which contains a link which goes to this:

In other words, it is a circular definition which does not in any way explain the criteria by which the existing main parties are defined to be "main parties" or explain the criteria by which any new candidate party might be assessed, or adjudged, or may apply to become so assessed or adjudged, as a "main party". It simply states, without explanation or definition, that the "main parties" are: A, B, C.
  • Options
    MaxUMaxU Posts: 87
    JohnLoony said:

The article at the top of the thread has a link to the "Ofcom rules" which goes to this:

which states "This document sets out the definition of “major parties” as applies to Section Six of the Ofcom Broadcasting Code1 and the Ofcom rules on Party Political and Referendum Broadcast2"

which refers to a link which goes to this:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/elections/

which states "Meaning of "major party":
    At present major parties for each nation in the United Kingdom are defined in the Ofcom List of Major Parties
    "

which contains a link which goes to this:

In other words, it is a circular definition which does not in any way explain the criteria by which the existing main parties are defined to be "main parties" or explain the criteria by which any new candidate party might be assessed, or adjudged, or may apply to become so assessed or adjudged, as a "main party". It simply states, without explanation or definition, that the "main parties" are: A, B, C.

Bravo- a really good investigation/explanation of the vacuousness of this definition. It really demonstrates how the UK is in effect a "three-party state".
This discussion has been closed.