Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour showing that is doesn’t understand the current elect

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour showing that is doesn’t understand the current electoral dyanmic

What Labour's petty attack ad, sorry PPB, tells me is they have no economic plan and nothing positive to say. Petty politics.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Come on guys, nobody's seriously expecting Labour to have some policies are they ?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Disagree, this PPB is brimming with intellectual self-confidence.

Well, it looks like it's been put together by students, at any rate.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Come on guys, nobody's seriously expecting Labour to have some policies are they ?

Perhaps in June 2015 when the next Labour LotO is under consideration.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112
    Oh good, an Ed is crap thread.

I agree with Dan Hodges that this is a pitiful attempt at a PPB for a party apparently hoping to be our government in 12 months.

Where I completely disagree with him is the frankly bizarre idea that this will make any difference whatsoever. Does anybody seriously believe that a PPB is likely to change peoples' minds? I mean seriously?

It demonstrates an underlying level of incompetence and incoherence in their preparation and thought which should worry their own supporters but this PPB is just not going to make a difference.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Are you suggesting that /drum roll/ Ed Miliband will never be Prime Minister?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

FPT:

Thai prime minister is ordered to stand down by court:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27292633

Thai currency hits new high of 55 baht to pound sterling:

http://themoneyconverter.com/GBP/THB.aspx
  • Options
    It'll fire up the Labour base for sure. Whether it'll win swing voters is another matter.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789
    Silly and petty with nothing serious to say? Yep, that's Labour!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    I've only seen one PEB this year so far (the Green one, unsurprisingly I liked it). That's probably one more than most people though. Does the fact that political opponents dont like Labour's PEB tell us anything particularly useful? I cant imagine them all lauding it if it was genuinely groundbreaking.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Is your ARSE twitching in anticipation of 7th May 2015?

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited May 2014
    kin ell that's good

If Clegg isn't on happy pills already he soon will be.

edit: i see Farron getting in quick
  • Options

JackW said:

Are you suggesting that /drum roll/ Ed Miliband will never be Prime Minister?
    Moi .... never .... well hardly ever.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

1. Ban it
    2. tax it

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    Neil said:

I've only seen one PEB this year so far (the Green one, unsurprisingly I liked it). That's probably one more than most people though. Does the fact that political opponents dont like Labour's PEB tell us anything particularly useful? I cant imagine them all lauding it if it was genuinely groundbreaking.

The Labour PEB fails for a very simple reason.

It attempts to be funny but it isn't.

You just need to compare it with the Harry Enfield sketch on the previous thread to see this important difference.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Aren't the EU elections about getting your committed vote out? If so, this seems designed for this purpose.

Whether this is the main purpose that Labour should be aiming for in the run up to the EU elections is an interesting question.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Would someone elucidate how the broadcast would alienate LD switchers - who after all have abandoned the Lib Dems for supporting the Tories, so might be thought to be sympathetic of a broadcast that criticises that action.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic: I agree with Dan
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    FPT:

I think Steve Fisher probably takes things a bit too far in the other direction. There's not a 5% chance of the Tories polling less than 28% or more than 44.4%.

The last time that any party scored more than 44.4% it was Ted Heath's Tories in 1970. No-one is going to take 40-1 on that happening in 2015. And the last time the Tories received less than 30% of the vote at a general election was in 1832!

That was my initial reaction, but, having thought about it, I'm not so sure he does take it too far (I'm assuming he's done his maths correctly). What he is saying is that, starting from here, and looking ONLY at the polling, in one in 40 elections the final result might be the Tories getting 28% or less, or over 44.4%. One in 40 elections is an event which happens once in a couple of centuries or so, so your 1970 and 1832 examples don't look too unreasonable.

Of course, we should bear in mind the important caveat that the model is not a forecast as such, but a model based purely on opinion polling and ignoring everything else. So, as political punters, we need to treat it as telling us, not what the result might be, but how much weight we should give to current polling in forming our (currently largely subjective) forecasts of the plausible range of outcomes - to which the answer is: something, but not very much.

We might of course, after looking at the politics, the economy, the merits or otherwise of the leaders, and so on, decide that we think the plausible range of shifts from current polling will be less than his model shows, or that they will be more skewed in one direction or the other. It's not an exact science, and we have to supplement the statistical analysis of flawed and noisy data with political judgement. That's the fun bit!
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    If Labour paid for that PPB then they wuz robbed....at best it was at student level...in every department
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,199
    edited May 2014
    Fatal flaw = include Clegg. He got unanimity post GE2010 for coalition so although he has suffered for the setbacks he had support. Not all of it has evaporated.

The ad would have been perfect and perfectly judged to its audience, much of which is sulking at the economic success of the Cons, had it left out the LDs.
  • Options
    Whether this is the main purpose that Labour should be aiming for in the run up to the EU elections is an interesting question.

IF they are worried about turnout, they are correct to be. Labour's policy on Europe is that everything is, basically, OK. No major complaints.

Who wants to get up and vote for that?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Looks like a dire PPB, am watching without sound though so its hard to judge.

The bit where Clegg got chased across the table by the Downing Street cat made me chuckle though.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good afternoon.
    Usually the UKIP PPBs have been quite good this time round. I must say however, that the latest one on the Locals for may 22nd, was sub standard and particularly noisy.

The bells, the bells!
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2014
    I've reached the momentous decision that at the Euros I shall be voting for the An Independence From Europe party.

What fun it will be if the People's Front of Judaea are jostled away from the expenses trough by the Judaean People's Front.

Imagine the snorting and oinking there will be from the UKIP piggie who just misses out on five years at the trough because a few hundred votes were "misdirected" to that splitter!

What have the EU ever done for us?
  • Options
    Off topic, today's betting activity for me has primarily been looking at value bets on UKIP.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    macisback said:

macisback said:

Newark.

LAB drifting at Hills: 3/1

33/1 would be more realistic, anybody willing to bet money on Labour in Newark may as well chuck it in the Trent, or give it me.

Mike Smithson, among others, disagrees with you.

Out of interest, do you have local knowledge?
    I know the area very well and it gets less inclined towards Labour over time, partly due to boundary changes and just it is an area that seems to become more attractive and prosperous, Newark itself used to be quite tough in parts but much less so now.
    Thank you. Always great with a local poster. However, I suspect that your 33/1 LAB price in Newark would get a lot of takers. How much are you willing to cough up if you lose?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MShapland: Ouch. Mirror poll on Labour's PPB is not even slightly in Labour's favour #Militwilightzone http://t.co/I7J020RG6F
  • Options
    I shall be holidaying with six Newark voters in a couple of weeks' time. As an informed guess, I rate them as having divided 4:2 Conservative: Labour at the last general election (with two cross-party marriages). I'm looking forward to seeing how they are thinking about their moment in the political spotlight.
  • Options

I've reached the momentous decision that at the Euros I shall be voting for the An Independence From Europe party.

What fun it will be if the People's Front of Judaea are jostled away from the expenses trough by the Judaean People's Front.

Imagine the snorting and oinking there will be from the UKIP piggie who just misses out on five years at the trough because a few hundred votes were "misdirected" to that splitter!

I have read some of your earlier posts on the earlier thread. Like your avatar, You are living in your own fantasy. Come down to earth and vote UKIP. You might find it a balm for your soul.
  • Options
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/5-lessons-labours-party-election-3508316

Straw MIRROR poll:

Hit: 0%
    Miss: 100%

Labour need to put out another PPB quickly, or hope people forget it or never watch it. Something along those lines.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Fatal flaw = include Clegg. He got unanimity post GE2010 for coalition so although he has suffered for the setbacks he had support. Not all of it has evaporated.

The ad would have been perfect and perfectly judged to its audience, much of which is sulking at the economic success of the Cons, had it left out the LDs.

It's aimed at the RedLibs. The whole point is Clegg.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Crass and bloody stupid. Politicians need to realise that, no matter how much they like throwing personal insults at eachother and doubling down on the negativity, the public are utterly sick of it and it just makes them switch off. See the Tories' 2010 campaign (Lord Ashcroft thinks the endless negative attacks on Gordon Brown is what cost them a majority), or the "Better Together" campaign.

What's more, it's not just that this ad is negative, it's that it's negative on charges that are already public consensus. The majority of people (not just Labour voters) already think that the Tories are rich idiots who purposely screw over the poor, and that the Lib Dems are pathetic sellouts. There's no point basing a whole advert around those two accusations when anyone who's even slightly open to the Labour Party will already agree. What they need to be working on is the substantial chunk of people who agree with those perceptions of the Tories and the Lib Dems, but who aren't sure what the hell Labour's alternative is and whether they would help the poor or public services any more than the Coalition does.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    In reply to Richard Nabavi on the previous thread, I wrote a fairly long explanation of why I disagreed, but I've now sort of changed my mind.

People do have a tendency to underestimate variability in many circumstances, and this may be a situation in which I am doing the same.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    I think it's quite a funny PEB, the only thing is that I can't believe many of the remaining LibDem voters actually care about the tuition fees pledge any more.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour need to put out another PPB quickly, or hope people forget it or never watch it. Something along those lines.

@DPJHodges: Soon someone from Labour will brief "our plan all along was to get coverage for the PPB". That person will be delusional...
  • Options
    Labour lead over Conservatives in recent Euro polls:

1st May, YouGov: 3% (26 vs 23)
    2nd May, YouGov: 6% (28 vs 22)
    3rd May, Survation: 4% (28 vs 24)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I shall be holidaying with six Newark voters in a couple of weeks' time.

Your dedication to the cause of political investigation is second only to Lord Ashcroft's!
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Is your ARSE twitching in anticipation of 7th May 2015?

Certainly not.

Presently my ARSE is a model of consistent fortitude and not given over to arbitrary twitching resultant upon the vagaries of mere opinion polls.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,885
    FPT

@cyclefree

Here is Channel 4 News last night... two young people saying they dont feel British

The UKIP girl explains her position rather well. I agree with her, though it is easier for her to say than it would be for me

http://www.channel4.com/news/ethnic-minorities-uk-policy-exchange-30-per-cent-2050
  • Options

antifrank said:

I shall be holidaying with six Newark voters in a couple of weeks' time.

Your dedication to the cause of political investigation is second only to Lord Ashcroft's!
    Though slightly less scientific and involving a higher count of Hungarian swimming pools.
  • Options
    Off Topic:
    A new fast helicopter in the late design and pre assembly stage. But here below it doesn't say how fast its designed to go.

http://www.janes.com/article/37465/sikorsky-plans-late-2014-first-flight-for-s-97
  • Options
    Next said:
    What a pointless article: RBS were never big investment banking players, Barclays has only had a fixed income business since they closed BZW in about 1996, and HSBC is just a bit player.

Really, there hasn't been a significant UK based investment bank since SG Warburg was acquired by UBS in the mid-to-late 1990s.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    antifrank said:

Off topic, today's betting activity for me has primarily been looking at value bets on UKIP.

WH UKIP bt LD 2015 13/8
    SJ UKIP to get an MP GE2015 5/4

Take best price on any of these

Nearer the time, the "w/o the fav" or "two come 2nd" will be interesting in these seasts

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood Lads
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North Lads
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

and to a lesser extent, these

Bexhill & Battle
    Birmingham Yardley
    Bournemouth East
    Bridgewater & W Somerset
    Brirmingham Northfield
    Broadland
    Burton
    Cannock Chase
    Christchurch
    Dartford
    Dover
    East Devon
    Erith & Thamesmead
    Folkestone & Hythe
    Great Yarmouth
    Hastings & Rye
    Hx & Upm
    Kingswood
    Ludlow
    N Devon
    N Warks
    Newton Abbot
    Peterborough
    Poole
    SE Cornwall
    Solihul
    Spelthorne
    Stoke on Trent Central
    Stoke on Trent North
    Stourbridge
    Torridge & W Devon
    Totnes
    Wells
    West Brom East
    West Suffolk
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879
    MikeK said:

Off Topic:
    A new fast helicopter in the late design and pre assembly stage. But here below it doesn't say how fast its designed to go.

http://www.janes.com/article/37465/sikorsky-plans-late-2014-first-flight-for-s-97

Apparently it will have a cruise speed upwards of 200 knots:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-97_Raider

I find it quite startling that we Brits still hold the official world speed record for a 'pure' helicopter, in the form of a Westland Lynx at 400 kph (215 knots), set back in 1986:
    http://www.fai.org/fai-record-file/?recordId=11659
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729
    Neil said:

I have to say that the Green one was my favourite so far (Excluding the Pirate one for fairness) - nice use of humour and realism. This Labour one is clearly a call to the Base rather than aiming at switching anyone, and if it is online only so the only non-Labour voters who see it are journalists and political nerds then that's probably a risk worth taking. Obviously it'll chronically piss off Lib Dem activists, but LD voters likely won't see it.
  • Options
    isam said:

FPT

@cyclefree

Here is Channel 4 News last night... two young people saying they dont feel British

The UKIP girl explains her position rather well. I agree with her, though it is easier for her to say than it would be for me

http://www.channel4.com/news/ethnic-minorities-uk-policy-exchange-30-per-cent-2050

Her key phrase (paraphrased)

"You can be a foreigner and have a different culture yet live in harmony with British people and what it is to be British"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/07/ukip-eastern-european-leaflet-distribution-_n_5279567.html?1399473398&utm_hp_ref=uk

This made me smile, after all the ranting about immigration we have seen on the site recently

Latvians deliver UKIP leaflets, LOL
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,199
    MrJones said:

TOPPING said:

It's aimed at the RedLibs. The whole point is Clegg.
    Yes I see that. But it's like family - you can insult them but an outsider? uh-uh.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2014
    MikeK said:

I have read some of your earlier posts on the earlier thread. Like your avatar, You are living in your own fantasy. Come down to earth and vote UKIP. You might find it a balm for your soul.
    LibLabConUKIP = all the same
    Common Purpose, lizards
    Coming over 'ere...
    Well the PEOPLE have seen through you all and their going to be on the STREETS
    YOU SHOULD ALL BE HANGING FROM LAMPPOSTS
    WE ARE TAKING BACK OUR COUNTRY
    millions are joining us every day
    It's An Independence From Europe for me!!

I think I've quoted the DT comments correctly there. Why do so many UKIPper's appear to be grocer's, judging by there inability to put comma's in the right place's?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Did anyone else spot this tweet exchange between Lord Ashcroft and Dan? Might it be hinting at a major change since the last marginal poll?

0m
    Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft
    @DPJHodges ....wait until you see the marginal polls released at @ConHome 's spring conference
  • Options

Did anyone else spot this tweet exchange between Lord Ashcroft and Dan? Might it be hinting at a major change since the last marginal poll?

0m
    @DPJHodges ....wait until you see the marginal polls released at @ConHome 's spring conference

Ooooooooo.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    rcs1000 said:

I think it's quite a funny PEB, the only thing is that I can't believe many of the remaining LibDem voters actually care about the tuition fees pledge any more.

Apparently. I've been told by two LibDem MEPs (Bill Newton-Dunn said it in public debate) that they have been instructed to make no commitments in the election purely because of the embarrassment over tuition fees. (Bill said he was rebelling against the instruction.)

The PEB isn't my scene for the same reason that I don't like Private Eye or Scarfe or Rowson and disliked Spitting Image, but then I'm not sure that any of us are typical. Doubt if the general public will react much one way or the other.

FPT:

I think Steve Fisher probably takes things a bit too far in the other direction. There's not a 5% chance of the Tories polling less than 28% or more than 44.4%.

The last time that any party scored more than 44.4% it was Ted Heath's Tories in 1970. No-one is going to take 40-1 on that happening in 2015. And the last time the Tories received less than 30% of the vote at a general election was in 1832!

That was my initial reaction, but, having thought about it, I'm not so sure he does take it too far (I'm assuming he's done his maths correctly). What he is saying is that, starting from here, and looking ONLY at the polling, in one in 40 elections the final result might be the Tories getting 28% or less, or over 44.4%. One in 40 elections is an event which happens once in a couple of centuries or so, so your 1970 and 1832 examples don't look too unreasonable.!
    I think the really striking thing of the last 4 years of polls have been their stability, with the exception of the rise of UKIP (now clearly hurting everyone). So an amazing outcome in terms of vote share compared with current polls looks really unlikely. What IS possible is an amazing outcome in terms of seats, because of the unpredictable impact of FPTP.

• Options
    An interesting angle for Roger Helmer to explain in Newark:

Frances Hinde @FrancesHinde
    Ukip Pays Eastern Europeans To Distribute Leaflets, Despite Warning They Take British Jobs huff.to/1kLIGXU via @HuffPostUKPol LOL
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Ukip Pays Eastern Europeans To Distribute Leaflets, Despite Warning They Take British Jobs huff.to/1kLIGXU via @HuffPostUKPol LOL

Presumably delivering UKIP leaflets is one of those special jobs for which UKIP would be willing to grant points to potential immigrants.
  • Options
    If the Conservatives are doing OK nationally but cack in the marginals then the votes must be piling/holding up SOMEWHERE.

And surely Newark is part of that SOMEWHERE !!
  • Options

Illustrates how immigration depresses wages to the level where delivering leaflets is a growth industry.
  • Options

I think the really striking thing of the last 4 years of polls have been their stability, with the exception of the rise of UKIP (now clearly hurting everyone). So an amazing outcome in terms of vote share compared with current polls looks really unlikely.

Well, if UKIP shed 8-10% of that vote, as many commentators expect, what's to stop all of it going to the Tories? [Giving e.g. Con 41% Lab 35%]. If UKIP are a mid-term protest against the government, you'd expect much of the vote to return to the government.

Lots of ifs there, and I don't necessarily think that that's what will happen.

But just because it seemed like UKIP were taking from both Lab & Con on the way up, it doesn't mean that the votes will return in the same proportions on the way down.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I think the really striking thing of the last 4 years of polls have been their stability, with the exception of the rise of UKIP (now clearly hurting everyone). So an amazing outcome in terms of vote share compared with current polls looks really unlikely.

Well, if UKIP shed 8-10% of that vote, as many commentators expect, what's to stop all of it going to the Tories? [Giving e.g. Con 41% Lab 35%]. If UKIP are a mid-term protest against the government, you'd expect much of the vote to return to the government.

Lots of ifs there, and I don't necessarily think that that's what will happen.

But just because it seemed like UKIP were taking from both Lab & Con on the way up, it doesn't mean that the votes will return in the same proportions on the way down.
    41/35/15 ?

National Prediction: CON short 3 of majority on UNS.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Might it be hinting at a major change since the last marginal poll?

Not necessarily. Ashcroft could be hinting that the new polls will be very embarassing for Dan.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

What a very strange line of attack. If a person is here with a right to work then they cannot be excluded from any employment on the basis of where they were born. Frankly, attacking a party for complying with the law is a bit odd and strikes of desperation.
  • Options
    IIRC the previous Ashcroft marginals' poll was pretty bad for the Tories, so you'd expect the next one to be at least a bit better for them.
  • Options
    The Irish Minister for Justice has finally resigned after an unbelievable few months of accusations about whistleblowers being undermined and the police bugging the hell out of everyone they came across. What finally did for him was data protection - he revealed in a live interview that an independent TD had been sanctioned for using a mobile while driving. For once an Irish government minister who wasnt done in by tapes. For all that I think the 4/6 on the next Irish GE being in 2016 is still the value bet because this minister will be the lightening rod for all these shenanigans and the rest of the Government will carry on for as long as possible to have as much of a recovery as possible to sell to the electorate.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I got a flyer from the "NO2EU" party yesterday - are they the Front of the People of Judea ?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

FPT

@cyclefree

I thought the girl was a UKIP supporter. Did she say she felt more English than British?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

IIRC the previous Ashcroft marginals' poll was pretty bad for the Tories, so you'd expect the next one to be at least a bit better for them.

You'd expect so, but we are just before the euros when alot of voters are going to be lodging protest votes. Labour should be doing better, but the table is SO SO far tilted in their favour they can lose on votes and win on seats.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Worthwhile point by @GuidoFawkes that Labour's Shriti Vadera is on AstraZeneca board. http://t.co/0UZVvDneCg Also: Labour PR man Rudd onside
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    rcs1000 said:

Next said:
    What a pointless article: RBS were never big investment banking players, Barclays has only had a fixed income business since they closed BZW in about 1996, and HSBC is just a bit player.

Really, there hasn't been a significant UK based investment bank since SG Warburg was acquired by UBS in the mid-to-late 1990s.
    I agree the article is nonsense. However I would raise an entirely different view of London's role in investment banking. There hasn't been a significant investment bank in recent years that isn't largely based in the UK. They may not be British names, but to a great extent the culture is.

Obviously it depends a bit as to what you term investment banking, but I'd also point out that RBS owned Charterhouse who were a force in certain areas, and HSBC owned Midland, and thus Samuel Monatgu, plus James Capel. The list goes on. It's only really Lloyds that never featured.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

You'd expect so, but we are just before the euros when alot of voters are going to be lodging protest votes. Labour should be doing better, but the table is SO SO far tilted in their favour they can lose on votes and win on seats.
    A bit naughty of Ashcroft to poll now at peak Kipper.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

I got a flyer from the "NO2EU" party yesterday - are they the Front of the People of Judea ?

The far-left got its act together very well this time. Hardly any splitting at all.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    SeanT said:

Would someone elucidate how the broadcast would alienate LD switchers - who after all have abandoned the Lib Dems for supporting the Tories, so might be thought to be sympathetic of a broadcast that criticises that action.

It belittles the LDs - literally. It sneers at them, then adds a few jeers; it implies LDs are insignificant cowards (when many of them voted LD in principled opposition to the Iraq War). People who have voted LD in the past may feel a certain residual loyalty to the party, this casual, open contempt will merely alienate such voters, and remind others why they dislike Labour, with their arrogant moral vanity.

It's not going to change the weather, but this ad is a mistake.
    I think it is actually aimed at those LibDems who never admit they are Libdem. Remember the LDs historically will outperform their polling stats so you know that 8% will become 11% or higher.
    Labour know this and are trying to persuade those shy LDs.
    It won't work mind you.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Illustrates how immigration depresses wages to the level where delivering leaflets is a growth industry.
    Although, obviously, wages cannot fall below the minimum wage.

So, presumably UKIP paid minimum wage for its leaflet deliverers, and the best qualified people for the job were immigrants.
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

The far-left got its act together very well this time. Hardly any splitting at all.
    Just Labour and this mob ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

So, presumably UKIP paid minimum wage for its leaflet deliverers, and the best qualified people for the job were immigrants.
    Wages can very easily fall below minimum wage.

Presumably Ukip paid a leaflet delivering company.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Talking of Lord Ashcroft anybody remember when he turned up on telly at about 4am on election night?

Even though I was totally off my face on painkillers for my back, I could tell he wasn't a happy bunny, LOL!

Oh to have been a fly on CCHQ wall when he finally caught up with Cameron and Osborne on the Friday morning! :^O
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Bless, I doubt there's anyone left in the Labour party who knows the words to the Red Flag.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

UKIP would be breaking the law if they refused employment to someone on the basis of their ethnic origin.

I expect they hire delivery companies, however.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    SeanT said:

It belittles the LDs - literally. It sneers at them, then adds a few jeers; it implies LDs are insignificant cowards (when many of them voted LD in principled opposition to the Iraq War). People who have voted LD in the past may feel a certain residual loyalty to the party, this casual, open contempt will merely alienate such voters, and remind others why they dislike Labour, with their arrogant moral vanity.
    Agree with all of that - Clegg is portrayed as unprincipled and pathetic - Labour should not have included any mention of the Lib Dems IMHO, just stuck with attacking the Tories.
  • Options
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Bless, I doubt there's anyone left in the Labour party who knows the words to the Red Flag.
    Rail nationalisation, rent controls and centralised price freezes would suggest that the lurch is pretty lurchy.
  • Options
    Judges and probation service not exactly covering themselves in glory this week.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Neil said:

Can't read, but want to govern!

• Options
    I was at home over the weekend and was struck by the difference in the level of campaigning there and here. Ireland is covered with election posters (you wont be able to miss them if you watch coverage of the Giro d'Italia on Sunday). Unbelievably I spotted a *local* election candidate with a campaign car painted in his party colours / ugly mug. Sinn Fein seem to have plundered the local monasteries / nunneries for their candidates - all look young and fresh-faced and as if they've never even imagined blowing up innocent children as part of political campaigning.

The best story has to be the former Fianna Fail cabinet minister who was added to a local election ticket at the last minute only to have the party HQ u-turn and ask her not to stand but who is now standing for Fianna Fail anyway against their wishes. Knowing Ireland she'll probably get in too.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Rail nationalisation, rent controls and centralised price freezes would suggest that the lurch is pretty lurchy.
    Nah, you're just getting excitable.Labour will offer the electorate pretty much the same fiscal plans that the Tories and the Lib Dems will.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

Frinstance

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/01/14/romanians-in-hard-times-on-benefits-street/

"Debate focused heavily on a group of no fewer than 14 Romanians, who were crammed into a four-bedroom house as they desperately struggled to earn a living.

The men had been brought over to the UK by a gang who promised them work, but viewers heard they had laboured in a field for 17 hours for just £10."

I'm guessing 58 pence an hour is below minimum wage?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    I thought that was quite good and might even be effective - though does anyone watch PEBs these days?

Yes, it was typically upwardsly sneery but you expect that of Labour and Euro-/local elections are mostly core vote chasing so why not?

As for the Lib Dems, no, it was anti-Clegg. It wasn't really anti-Lib Dem and certainly not anti-LD2010 voter. The basic message was: you were duped then, don't let them do it again.

It's not as if the Lib Dems aren't past masters at the negative stuff. They can be vicious when it comes to it but more often it's the simple two-horse-race / only we can beat X, which is wholly negative and relies on their being perceived as not as bad as X by Y and Z, not on actually being any good themselves.

However, there is one big drawback to the PEB: what's to stop the net effect from being (Con+LD) to UKIP?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

UKIP would be breaking the law if they refused employment to someone on the basis of their ethnic origin.

Sean F you conveniently ignore the fact your new party is campaigning on the basis none of these Polish workers should have been allowed to come and work in the UK. That's what Farage bangs on about all the time.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Sean_F said:

Sean F you conveniently ignore the fact your new party is campaigning on the basis none of these Polish workers should have been allowed to come and work in the UK. That's what Farage bangs on about all the time.
    UKIP argues that Polish workers should face the same immigration controls as workers from outside the EU.

But, UKIP also complies with the law of the land. Denying employment to people on the ground that they're Polish is unlawful.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Sean_F said:

As I said earlier attacking a party for complying with the law smacks of desperation. Actually, now you have repeated the attack, its quite pathetic.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

Frinstance

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/01/14/romanians-in-hard-times-on-benefits-street/

"Debate focused heavily on a group of no fewer than 14 Romanians, who were crammed into a four-bedroom house as they desperately struggled to earn a living.

The men had been brought over to the UK by a gang who promised them work, but viewers heard they had laboured in a field for 17 hours for just £10."

That's a pretty serious allegation that you are throwing at UKIP. I would be careful about claiming they are deliberately breaking the law by paying below minimum wage.
  • Options
    @Neil Wonder how many times Dan Martin is going to cycle over his name written in chalk en route ?

Can't see past Quintana for the overall tbh - though he is short to back.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The closing scene of a miniature, naked Nick Clegg hiding behind a LD rosette pleading to be accepted as one of the big boys, reminded me of how David Steel was portrayed in ‘Spitting Image’.

Original? - Don’t know how much was paid for the PPB, but I hope not too much.

http://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article1994633.ece/alternates/s615/spitting-image-975065883.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Neil said:

Nah, you're just getting excitable.Labour will offer the electorate pretty much the same fiscal plans that the Tories and the Lib Dems will.

Fiscal plans, possibly (although I can't see how anyone could be confident that they'd stick to them, given that they have opposed almost every single measure intended to realise them).

However, that doesn't mean there won't be a lurch to the left, it just means the kind of loony things they'll do are more like the 1970s than the Brown years. Instead of bribing voters with free money taken from taxpayers or borrowed (which they seem, finally, reluctantly to admit is not possible), they want to con voters into thinking there is free money available from squeezing energy companies, landlords, house building companies, estate agents, and other 'predators'. Worse still, it might not even be an attempt at a con - it could be that Milband believes in it.
  • Options

However, that doesn't mean there won't be a lurch to the left

I wish, Richard, I wish!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Reading the twitter exchange, it looks to me as though the marginals' poll is going to be pretty dire for the Conservatives:

"Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges
    One other thing. After that PPB please let's not have any more denials from Labour insiders about there not being a 35% strategy.

@DPJHodges ...it's all in the marginals Dan! National polls mood music only...

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges
    @LordAshcroft Maybe, but Ed's not getting 40% is he.

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft
    @DPJHodges ....wait until you see the marginal polls released at @ConHome 's spring conference"
  • Options
    antifrank said:

AndyJS said:

Reading the twitter exchange, it looks to me as though the marginals' poll is going to be pretty dire for the Conservatives:

"Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges
    One other thing. After that PPB please let's not have any more denials from Labour insiders about there not being a 35% strategy.

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

@DPJHodges ....wait until you see the marginal polls released at @ConHome 's spring conference"
    Interesting if that's true. The national polls of course are almost neck-and-neck so it's odd how that isn't feeding through to the marginals.
  • Options
    I've just noticed an interesting snippet by Anthony Wells (part of a post looking at what is likely to happen over the remaining year before the election):

JUNE 2014. The Queens Speech and the Private Members Ballot – the final session of a Parliament won’t have many exciting bills left, watch who wins the private members ballot though. If a compliant enough Conservative comes top of the ballot then they’ll re-introduce the EU Referendum Bill that got lost in the Lords last time, and if it passes the Commons unamended again the Parliament Act would come into play. Labour and the Liberal Democrats may have to act to kill it in the Commons this time round

I hadn't thought of the Parliament Act angle - I thought that only applied to government bills??

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8772
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729
    AndyJS said:

antifrank said:

AndyJS said:

"Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges

Interesting if that's true. The national polls of course are almost neck-and-neck so it's odd how that isn't feeding through to the marginals.
    The odd thing about that is that if true, it suggests that the Tories are doing well in Tory Safe Seats (and potentially Lab safe seats) - but are these not the ones in which we think UKIP are doing best?
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Quite liked it FWIW! Quite funny in places, by the dismally low standards of PPBs.

Like others though I cannot see how it alienates the much fabled Red Liberals who quit in disgust at the target of this video! (By the way 2010 LDSwitchers is a torturous term - Red Liberals is better)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

Frinstance

That's a pretty serious allegation that you are throwing at UKIP. I would be careful about claiming they are deliberately breaking the law by paying below minimum wage.
    "obviously, wages cannot fall below the minimum wage"

And there was me thinking I was simply pointing out how totally wrong you were that wages couldn't go below minimum wage.
This discussion has been closed.