Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Chances are that for half of all the votes will have been c

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Chances are that for half of all the votes will have been cast by Monday

Given what we know of quickly postal voters generally act and the level of turnouts that these elections attract it a not too dramatic an assumption to say that getting on for half of all the votes have now been cast.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Just another problem with postal votes. That they happen before the campaign is completed.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Quite so, Mr. Socrates.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    I posted mine yesterday.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2014
    Postal voting abuse, just another example of New Labour's wretched legacy;
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-26520836
    "Campaigners came to the house and they asked my mum to vote for them and actually my mum, not being able to read English, she didn't know where to put the cross, so one of the people put the cross in the box for her and said, 'There you go now you can just sign it and we will take it off you.'"

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    edited May 2014
    "All of this makes this weekend’s polling rather odd because part will be an exit survey."

Perhaps the polls should start with the question: Have you voted yet?

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Glad I didn't have a postal - suffered damascene conversion today...!!
  • Options
    Miss DiCanio,

"The government also said it had no plans to abolish the current system, saying it had made it easier for many people to vote."

Many people, particularly those who are dead and/or fictional.
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, you've joined the Natural Law Party?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    My dad applied for a postal vote but is worried it won't come by next Thursday when he's going abroad.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Just another problem with postal votes. That they happen before the campaign is completed.

What sort of percentage of voters do you think change their mind during a campaign?
    I would hazard a guess that it isn't that many, but that is only a wild stab in the dark

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    I cannot stand Russell Brand, but for once we agree on something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYGJOhD0cY
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    I'm in two minds about postal voting. I make use of it myself as am often working my backside off on polling day. However I can see the pitfalls etc.
  • Options
    FPT

Those all important twitter and facebook stats...

"In terms of Facebook fans, UKIP outperformed all the mainstream political parties put together by a factor of five.

The analysis reveals that UKIP added 41,000 Facebook followers over the past month, while the other major parties lumped together only managed to add 8,000 between them."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/10/UKIP-social-media-trounces-other-parties
  • Options

LOL...those HMRC tax proposals, supported by a conservative, were the final straw Mr Morris. There's only so much a poor tory can take before he joins Nigel's mob.

Before today I never saw the point of voting UKIP to get Milli, as I said to many kippers on the site many times.

Now I just don't care.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Socrates said:

Well, as Labour wasn't even mentioning Europe in their launch for the European election campaign, I think we can deem their campaign already complete.

Otherwise, it is all about an absolute howler during the campaign that would cause voters to change their mind. Which events are few and far between. Although we can always live in hope with UKIP!
  • Options
    isam said:

FPT

"In terms of Facebook fans, UKIP outperformed all the mainstream political parties put together by a factor of five.

The analysis reveals that UKIP added 41,000 Facebook followers over the past month, while the other major parties lumped together only managed to add 8,000 between them."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/10/UKIP-social-media-trounces-other-parties

People used to post similar stats during the Cleggasm.
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, your secret is safe with me, my fellow yogic flyer.

*taps nose*
  • Options
    taffys said:

LOL...those HMRC tax proposals, supported by a conservative, were the final straw Mr Morris. There's only so much a poor tory can take before he joins Nigel's mob.

Before today I never saw the point of voting UKIP to get Milli, as I said to many kippers on the site many times.

Now I just don't care.

As anyone who has ever dealt with HMRC will tell you, they along with the police, are the organisation that you shouldn't give more powers to.

It was a nightmarish 18 months dealing with them, they kept on adding on all sorts of surcharges, interest, late penalties to the original balance (that didn't exist)

I've never dealt with an organisation with a more pigheadedness ability to ignore the facts.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Facebook likes:

Con: 172,141
    Lab: 166,161
    UKIP: 121,295
    LD: 94,215
    SNP: 43,888
    Greens: 34,718
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

isam said:

FPT

There is one party that is being pillioried over and over again on social media and that is UKIP. The Conservatives should thank them for drawing fire.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Two friends have mine have voted for "an independence from Europe" because they thought it was "funny".

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited May 2014
    Just placed my vote, only in the Euros though as I don't want to antagonise HMRC with regards to my residency status!
  • Options
    ''I've never dealt with an organisation with a more pigheaded ability to ignore the facts.''

I can imagine TSE. And that;s with the balance of the courts in place. Imagine dealing with the revenue without that balance.

Just go over to conhome to see what a catastrophic error Cameron and Osborne are making.

The site is on fire under the article about what Tyrie's comments. And it isn;t kippers, but mainly those who are still loyal. It really beggars belief.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    More good news for UKIP,my mother who voted years back and voted labour,using her postal vote for ukip,plus my sister ,who has never voted is voting ukip.

Ukip,a party that reaches where other parties can't.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

isam said:

FPT

There is one party that is being pillioried over and over again on social media and that is UKIP. The Conservatives should thank them for drawing fire.
    Pillory and support in equal measure while no one takes notice of the other parties
  • Options
    Is this OGHs ballot? Must say, you have nice nails... ;-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Two friends have mine have voted for "an independence from Europe" because they thought it was "funny".

Funny in what way? Spiting UKIP?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I nearly voted for them or Yorkshire First for similar reasons.

But, then I thought, Dave needs every vote he can on May 22
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

isam said:

FPT

My Facebook feed seems to be full of pro UKIP stuff, but then I'm friends with someone fairly high up in the party, and who isn't shy to share official stuff...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Facebook likes:

Con: 172,141
    Lab: 166,161
    UKIP: 121,295
    LD: 94,215
    SNP: 43,888
    Greens: 34,718

I assume most of the Liberal Democrat likes are from confused Russians
  • Options
    isam said:

Grandiose said:

isam said:

FPT

Pillory and support in equal measure while no one takes notice of the other parties
    I've not yet seen one post / group / link on my facebook news feed in favour of UKIP.

Perhaps there's only one thing worse than being talked about, but positive it ain't.

It was the same pre-2010 and for a couple of years thereafter with the Tories.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

They are broadly Euro sceptic (but not to a level of caring that much), but they hate Nigel Farage with a passion. Voting AIFE seemed to be the way to annoy him most.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

isam said:

FPT

But I’d expect those kinds of figures during the ‘cleggasm’ after all it was very much a ‘student’ lead show of support. – I just can’t imagine dozen of retired Majors and geriatric golfers taking to their face-book/twitter accounts. – could these kippers that plague face-book and the comment section the Daily Mail, be younger than was first thought..!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

I nearly did it because it would have been fun if UKIP gets pushed into second place, and the difference between them and first place was less than what Independence from Europe polled.

The whining from the Kippers would be funny to watch.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I've never dealt with an organisation with a more pigheaded ability to ignore the facts.''

I can imagine TSE. And that;s with the balance of the courts in place. Imagine dealing with the revenue without that balance.

Just go over to conhome to see what a catastrophic error Cameron and Osborne are making.

The site is on fire under the article about what Tyrie's comments. And it isn;t kippers, but mainly those who are still loyal. It really beggars belief.

I've not read the proposals in full, so will keep an open mind until I've read them properly.

My initial reading when these proposals were first mooted, they could take the money from your account, if you fail to contact/ignore HMRC.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, even in jest, don't back Yorkshire First. Bloody clowns.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

They are broadly Euro sceptic (but not to a level of caring that much), but they hate Nigel Farage with a passion. Voting AIFE seemed to be the way to annoy him most.
    Personally I think the impact of Nattrass's party will be very small indeed, but we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Personally I think the impact of Nattrass's party will be very small indeed, but we'll see what happens.
    Then and NO2EU could pick up 4 to 5% between them. The major beneficiary of which would be the LibDems
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, even in jest, don't back Yorkshire First. Bloody clowns.

I didn't.

In shocking news, I voted Tory.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    If a Kipper can't place an apostrophe, I hold out little hope for improved performance with a cross.

Perhaps An Independence from Europe is already half way to winning the Euros and Mike Nattrass a certainty for the TV leader debates?
  • Options

isam said:

FPT

But I’d expect those kinds of figures during the ‘cleggasm’ after all it was very much a ‘student’ lead show of support. – I just can’t imagine dozen of retired Majors and geriatric golfers taking to their face-book/twitter accounts. – could these kippers that plague face-book and the comment section the Daily Mail, be younger than was first thought..!
    But I was told Kippers are drawing support from the working classes now, basically the plebs that use Facebook on a regular basis
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'm still voting UKIP in the European elections. Unsure about locals, which I thought we were missing in this area this year.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I'm still voting UKIP in the European elections. Unsure about locals, which I thought we were missing in this area this year.

Don't vote UKIP.

Voting UKIP makes it more likelier that Ed Balls become Chancellor.

Voting UKIP is unpatriotic and seditious, and it is a real shame we abolished the crime of sedition a few years ago (it was done by the unpatriotic Labour party)
  • Options
    Hmm. Markets haven't really got going. Will probably check back later, but won't be posting the pre-race piece for a little while.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bangkok. OOOF.

How was Dubai? Meet any Russians?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

If a Kipper can't place an apostrophe, I hold out little hope for improved performance with a cross.

Perhaps An Independence from Europe is already half way to winning the Euros and Mike Nattrass a certainty for the TV leader debates?

While it's not likely, it's possible that on some regions AIFE could outpoll the LibDems or the Greens. In the South East, there is the small possibility that they sneak a seat.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'll be voting Conservative when the General Election comes around (unless the blues u-turn on currency union. Then I'll be looking elsewhere).

I'd probably not change my mind about UKIP anyway, but the tax nonsense doesn't endear me to the party.

Also, 'more likelier' is horrendous English.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Don't vote UKIP.

Voting UKIP is unpatriotic and seditious, and it is a real shame we abolished the crime of sedition a few years ago (it was done by the unpatriotic Labour party)
    Voting UKIP in the Euros is a good way to keep Cameron honest on the question of Europe.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I'll be voting Conservative when the General Election comes around (unless the blues u-turn on currency union. Then I'll be looking elsewhere).

I'd probably not change my mind about UKIP anyway, but the tax nonsense doesn't endear me to the party.

Also, 'more likelier' is horrendous English.

I've been doing all sorts of bad things to the English language this week.

I used the word pre-prepared in an email this week!
  • Options
    I was considering UKIP but I think they may be getting a bit too popular for my liking now. Like Jeremy Paxman, I like to move in the opposite direction to the herd, however pompous it might sound.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bangkok. OOOF.

Vidi, vici veni. ?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I am going to slap you across the face with a large haddock.

Pre-prepared is a horrendous Brownian tautology.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Don't vote UKIP.

Voting UKIP in the Euros is a good way to keep Cameron honest on the question of Europe.
    Nah, if the Kippers significantly out poll the Tories in the Euros, then the Tory party will act silly, and think they must be more Euro-sceptic, in all things, including the campaign.

Being Euro-sceptic doesn't win you general elections,we tested that theory to destruction in 2001 and 2005.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Socrates said:

Surely people have the right to be close minded and so make up their mind irrespective of the campaign being ongoing? Most people vote for anyone with the right rosette anyway, so what harm voting sooner rather than later?

I don't really like postal voting, but if people don't want to bother with the campaign but still exercise their vote, they can without postal votes as well, it's just harder and involves ignoring information for longer as you cannot get in early.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    kle4 said:

Socrates said:

Surely people have the right to be close minded and so make up their mind irrespective of the campaign being ongoing? Most people vote for anyone with the right rosette anyway, so what harm voting sooner rather than later?

I don't really like postal voting, but if people don't want to bother with the campaign but still exercise their vote, they can without postal votes as well, it's just harder and involves ignoring information for longer as you cannot get in early.

I only used postal voting this time because in a normal week, I spend all day in Manchester.

And I've voted in every election that I've been eligible for.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Don't vote UKIP.

Nah, if the Kippers significantly out poll the Tories in the Euros, then the Tory party will act silly, and think they must be more Euro-sceptic, in all things, including the campaign.
    Fact. Both Tories and Labour are already being as Eurosceptic as they think they can be without stating they are for OUT, which wouldn't be believed, and that will only accelerate following the Euros. Only Clegg was desperate enough, knowing the centre ground was beyond his core, to refute such scepticism.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Socrates said:

I only used postal voting this time because in a normal week, I spend all day in Manchester.

And I've voted in every election that I've been eligible for.
    In fairness I had not considered other reasons why people might wish to use postal voting.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Pulpstar said:

Don't vote UKIP.

Being Euro-sceptic doesn't win you general elections,we tested that theory to destruction in 2001 and 2005.
    Cameron's going to win the GE easily. A student of the polls should know that UKIP is ravaging Labour's frothy support rather than the rock solid Tory vote.

• Options

SeanT said:

Bangkok. OOOF.

Vidi, vici veni. ?
    More 'veni, veni, veni'.

• Options

It has been a stressful week, in one week's time, I have to deliver a best man's speech, and so far all I have written is

"Hello, my name is Mr Eagles, and I'm an alcoholi.... oh wait wrong speech"
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AveryLP said:

While it's not likely, it's possible that on some regions AIFE could outpoll the LibDems or the Greens. In the South East, there is the small possibility that they sneak a seat.
    You think AIFE have a better chance in the SE than Nattrass himself has in the West Midlands?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @chrstinadarling: Apparently Nigel Farage hates Eurovision. The man is quite literally a demon.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you could have the doors loudly closed and then a string quartet start to play The Rains of Castamere.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Mr. Eagles, you could have the doors loudly closed and then a string quartet start to play The Rains of Castamere.

I was told I could be best man on the strict condition I did NOT get involved with any of the music at the wedding, or go within 500 yards of the DJ at the evening event.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the groom sounds like a wise man.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, the groom sounds like a wise man.

There's two grooms at this wedding.

The originally planned to have the wedding this weekend, which would have meant I missed Eurovision for only the second time in twenty years.

Fortunately the venue was booked today, so they moved it a week.

I have to admit, I was surprised to learn that some people think my musical tastes are terrible, and that I must double as the man in charge of the music at Guantánamo Bay

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB124690400002401641
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    Dubai — you do need a visa technically speaking, but you can get a 30 day one on arrival:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/united-arab-emirates/entry-requirements
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Declaration times, 2009

North East 9:46pm
    Eastern England 11:10pm
    Yorks & Humber 11:29pm
    Wales 11:47pm
    London 00:45am
    East Midlands 00:57am
    South West 01:23am
    South East 01:26am
    West Midlands 02:00am
    North West 02:09am
    Scotland 02:18am*

*unofficial, without the Western Isles. Don't know when the official result was declared.

If this pattern is repeated, it's going to be a long night for the LibDems...
  • Options
    I think the LDs will hold their seats in the SE, NW and London. SW could be a shock defeat for them because of the more elderly population defecting to UKIP.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

I was told I could be best man on the strict condition I did NOT get involved with any of the music at the wedding, or go within 500 yards of the DJ at the evening event.
    I wonder if anyone plays the Rains of Castamere at weddings.

Last year, 160 American babies were named Khaleesi.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    I wonder if we'll have a Newark poll in one of the Sunday's?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Really? How many were named Hodor?
  • Options
    Final result in South Africa shows that the ANC didn't quite manage to hit a 40% majority:

http://www.news24.com/Elections/Results#map=live
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

Pulpstar said:

Don't vote UKIP.

No we didn't. All we tested there was the theory that Blair was a very clever and astute politician and that the Tories were still suffering from the legacy of Major.

I am afraid your grasp of the realities of politics are about as good as your command of the English language this week Eagles.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

Final result in South Africa shows that the ANC didn't quite manage to hit a 40% majority:

Good to see they finally got their numbers right...
  • Options
    Max_EdinburghMax_Edinburgh Posts: 347
    SeanT said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

Bangkok. OOOF.

How was Dubai? Meet any Russians?
    Dubai was surprising. Much more liberal than I expected: full of girls in miniskirts and floating dresses, and a general sense of ease and optimism - and also multiculturalism. It's a pointless city of shopping malls on the edge of a crushing desert, nonetheless one has to admire the attempt to build a new kind of Islamic city without all the crapola, even if it is funded by oil wealth and little else.

It was welcoming and hospitable. You don't need a visa. They barely check yr passport. It's just: "come right in and enjoy the surreal skyscrapers".

It actually gave me new hope for Islam and humanity: because humanity desperately needs a kinder, more accommodating Islam. Arguably, I saw fewer niqabs and burqas in Dubai than I see in Regents Park at a weekend.

Bangkok is Bangkok. To be a rich middle aged white man in Bangkok is like being a Roman Emperor without all the hassle of expanding Germania Inferior.

Having worked in Qatar for a year I did find Dubai far more liberal than any other part of the Middle East. Oman's relatively liberal too and a far more interesting place than the UAE. Dubai's alright for a few days but you quickly run out of things to see and do. Did you manage to treat yourself to a Middle Eastern Friday brunch while you were there?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited May 2014
    Tomorrow is Mothers Day here in the USA.

This morning, like most other fathers apparently, I drove down to the store to buy a card or two.

It was funny to watch fathers with their young kids - who seemed to want to be doing anything but this - going through row after row of cards with their sacharine sentiments, then choosing a balloon or a bunch of flowers - or both. New this year - to me at least - talking balloons.

If Gen. "Stormin'" Norman Schwartzkopf had been there, he would have undoubtedly called it "Schlock and awww".

However I am above this mawkish sentimentality - I bought two cards plus one from my dog Heidi, and a talking duck.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

It has been a stressful week, in one week's time, I have to deliver a best man's speech, and so far all I have written is

How about:

"It is traditional for the best man to tell a few gags at the Bride's expense. But I'm not a traditionalist. You're getting 5 minutes each on the merits of AV and the prospects for Scottish Independence."
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Sean_F said:

Bad move if Martin turns her into a psycho cannibal in a later book.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Is SA the country with the most one-sided free elections?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Is SA the country with the most one-sided free elections?
    Depends if you consider Singapore "free", but then again SA is far from perfect.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Don't vote UKIP.

No we didn't. All we tested there was the theory that Blair was a very clever and astute politician and that the Tories were still suffering from the legacy of Major.

I am afraid your grasp of the realities of politics are about as good as your command of the English language this week Eagles.
    So like any other week then heh?
  • Options
    Neil said:

How about:

"It is traditional for the best man to tell a few gags at the Bride's expense. But I'm not a traditionalist. You're getting 5 minutes each on the merits of AV and the prospects for Scottish Independence."
    I think I might have to give that a miss.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

isam said:

Grandiose said:

isam said:

FPT

I've not yet seen one post / group / link on my facebook news feed in favour of UKIP.

Perhaps there's only one thing worse than being talked about, but positive it ain't.

"The analysis reveals that UKIP added 41,000 Facebook followers over the past month, while the other major parties lumped together only managed to add 8,000 between them."
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In Sheffield, both UKIP and the Greens have more candidates standing than the Conservatives:

Labour: 29
    Lib Dem: 29
    Green: 29
    UKIP: 27
    Conservative: 24
    TUSC: 21
    Independent: 4
    No Description: 1

The Tories messed up their nomination in Hillsborough by using the same proposer and seconder as UKIP, who had already got their nomination accepted.
  • Options
    Matt on Eurovision. - guffaw..!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options

Neil said:

How about:

Well done for avoiding the biggest mistake of the last best man speech I gave!
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

isam said:

Grandiose said:

isam said:

FPT

Arent fb news feeds the most biased source of biased information in the world? All it does is surely reinforce people's own prejudices?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

How about:

Well done for avoiding the biggest mistake of the last best man speech I gave!
    One of the grooms is from Wrexham.

I nearly put in a line about "that memorable weekend in Wrexham"

(Say it out loud)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Jo Cox wins Labour nomination in Batley and Spen. Standard CV for a Labour wannabee
    http://www.jocox.org.uk/?page_id=5
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Standard CV for a Labour wannabee

I have put a timer until the first person to mention "child of a current Labour grandee?". Sweepstake anyone?

I have prepared a PBC buzzer in the style of the QI claxon for when this happens.
  • Options
    Neil said:

I have put a timer until the first person to mention "child of a current Labour grandee?". Sweepstake anyone?

I have prepared a PBC buzzer in the style of the QI claxon for when this happens.
    Do you have a buzzer for Jack Dromey and All Women Shortlist?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Neil said:

Quite, the persons deficiency is standing for Labour, not being related to someone else who has
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    She missed that feature..she has: born locally, moved to London, worked for an MP, for a Kinnock, for Sarah Brown, for Oxfam
    Neil said:

• Options
    Jo Cox is the 7th woman in a row to be selected to replace an incumbent MP:

Jo Cox — Mike Wood (Batley & Spen)
    Louise Haigh — Meg Munn (Sheffield Heeley)
    Marie Rimmer — Shaun Woodward (St Helens South)
    Maggie Throup — Jessica Lee (Erewash)
    Ruth Smeeth — Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North)
    Kate Hollern — Jack Straw (Blackburn)
    Helen Hayes — Tessa Jowell (Dulwich & West Norwood)
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    AndyJS said:

Jo Cox is the 7th woman in a row to be selected to replace an incumbent MP:

Jo Cox — Mike Wood (Batley & Spen)
    Louise Haigh — Meg Munn (Sheffield Heeley)
    Marie Rimmer — Shaun Woodward (St Helens South)
    Maggie Throup — Jessica Lee (Erewash)
    Ruth Smeeth — Joan Walley (Stoke-on-Trent North)
    Kate Hollern — Jack Straw (Blackburn)
    Helen Hayes — Tessa Jowell (Dulwich & West Norwood)

Straw, Jowell and Woodward. Blairism is dying. As is Brownism. It is the young knights like Miliband and Balls that will define the next 3 seconds.
  • Options

Neil said:

Do you have a buzzer for Jack Dromey and All Women Shortlist?
    I've a big, gay YELLOW CARD for that eventuality. If that happens to cause an outrage-induced electrical surge in the Cumbernauld area it wont be my fault.

Why do I get the feeling I've started the Eurovision drinking far too early and am likely to end up swearing at people in the small hours? Or in Bournemouth.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    MrJones said:

Sean_F said:

Bad move if Martin turns her into a psycho cannibal in a later book.
    The omens aren't great. Her Modus Operandi so far includes live burning, mass executions, mass crucifixion, and torture on an industrial scale.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014
    FPT re @AveryLP [For brevity I have not re-produced your post]
    It is plainly a loss of sovereignty if, instead of one of the Queen's courts of justice having the power to render and yield final determination, that power is given to a foreign tribunal. At present, if we refuse to comply with our obligations under the EAW in international law, the only remedy the aggrieved state has is diplomatic protest. When the Court of Justice assumes jurisdiction, it will be able to compel us to comply. The foreign state will have a remedy in domestic law. That is a diminution of sovereignty. One of the most important statutes that established the sovereignty of the Crown in Parliament was passed in 1533. There is a reason why it was called 'an Act in restraint of appeals'...

Let me be clear. I do not favour the United Kingdom remaining a party to the Framework Decision, and strongly oppose the government's decision to opt back in to the EAW. For as long as we are a party to it, however, I will support anything that allows Parliament to moderate its application to the United Kingdom. The government is proposing to abolish Parliament's powers in that regard.

You argue that a supranational body is needed to ensure that the parties comply with the Framework Decision. Do you really believe that the federalist court in Luxembourg is more likely than one of the Queen's courts to give a true interpretation of the Framework Decision? I am certainly not convinced. In any event, you conspicuously ignore the point that our extradition arrangements with category two territories function perfectly well without 'international arbitration', and any one who suggested such a tribunal would rightly be considered mad.
This discussion has been closed.