Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour drops to its lowest level with YouGov since the summ

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour drops to its lowest level with YouGov since the summer of 2010

When on Monday monrning the latest Populus poll came out showing LAB on 36% just a point ahead of the Tories it didn’t attract much attention. Since its big party ID weightings change in February the firm has been showing some of the worst LAB position and this just seemed to follow that pattern.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    First. And a jolly good thread to be first on.
  • Options
    Insonia? No; just an early cuppa for me. :)
  • Options
    And another thing. It's stopped raining and the sun is shining at last. At least here in London.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Nice timing with The Crossover. Just in the run up to the IndyRef. Somebody up there wants Scotland to win.
  • Options
    And the next thing to consider is; can UKIP hack into Labour and really hurt it in the next 6 days, or is that wishful thinking?
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Excellent news. Before 2010 the new left leaning parties (Lib and Lab) usually got a combination of 50% of vote with at 30/20 split. Post 2010 that continued but approx 40/10 split. Now lib/lab have 34/9 = 43. Right wing had about 40%. Tory/UKIP now have 34/15=49. So Libs may have switched to Labour but Labour have switched to UKIP. Superb if true.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The story would appear to be being framed as "who can win back the others fastest post the EU elections ?"

It might actually be the rate or level to which others drift "back" to the three parties which can win more than a couple of MPs.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    "My reading is that EdM and his team are paying the price for not having a clear message for the Euro elections. Their campaign has almost totally avoided any mention of the EU ..."

Never mind no mention of the EU; their campaign has almost totally avoided any mention of Labour.

Negative campaigning works in a two-party system even (providing the allegation is credible and relevant), because by default the damage done to an opponent can only have one beneficiary, whether directly or indirectly. That's true even when the party or candidate making the attack is adversely affected themselves (going negative isn't liked by the public, even when it's believed).

On the other hand, in a 4+ system, you have to give people positive reasons to vote for you as well as negative reasons not to vote for the others. What are Labour's? Who knows.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Morning all. Given that Labour is launching popular policies, the decline in share must be down to wider positioning.
  • Options
    Riddell says Balls will rise to save Labour...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10827622/As-Labour-stalls-its-time-to-bring-on-the-new-Balls.html

" Mr Miliband has no stauncher ally than his shadow chancellor, not least because their aims, for now at least, are identical. If Ed B is consolidating his influence, then Ed M can expect to reap the benefit."

;)

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Off topic, my latest post is up, this time on the East Midlands:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/deciding-next-election-2-east-midlands.html
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    TGOHF said:

The story would appear to be being framed as "who can win back the others fastest post the EU elections ?"

It might actually be the rate or level to which others drift "back" to the three parties which can win more than a couple of MPs.

Ah, but the really, real story is can the 2 main parties win enough of them back, or are the greater proportion of them lost for the foreseeable future?

And whats to stop additional losses in the future too?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    MikeK said:

And the next thing to consider is; can UKIP hack into Labour and really hurt it in the next 6 days, or is that wishful thinking?

It can happen but there are a huge number of uncertainties. UKIP is a newish party (certainly playing at this level it is), and there are all sorts of ways that wheels could fall off their bandwagon as well as ways in which it could gain further momentum. Already, it's clear that some in the press are out to 'get' it.

That said, it would be extremely funny to those of us on the centre-right who've watched Labour complacently stroll towards victory on the assumption of a united left and divided right, if on the last lap of the race, Labour's own vote was eaten into significantly by UKIP while a decent proportion of Con-Ukip switchers returned on the back of an improving economy and things like gay marriage receding in those voters' memories.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    antifrank said:

Morning all. Given that Labour is launching popular policies, the decline in share must be down to wider positioning.

It is easy to launch popular policies, but much harder to lay out an unambiguous path as to how those policies will result in benefit for all. The electorate have seen the credibility gap in Labour's promises.

Also more Labour 2010 VI appears to be defecting to UKIP.

• Options

MikeK said:

It can happen but there are a huge number of uncertainties. UKIP is a newish party (certainly playing at this level it is), and there are all sorts of ways that wheels could fall off their bandwagon as well as ways in which it could gain further momentum. Already, it's clear that some in the press are out to 'get' it.

That said, it would be extremely funny to those of us on the centre-right who've watched Labour complacently stroll towards victory on the assumption of a united left and divided right, if on the last lap of the race, Labour's own vote was eaten into significantly by UKIP while a decent proportion of Con-Ukip switchers returned on the back of an improving economy and things like gay marriage receding in those voters' memories.
    Yes agree on that. I feel that the real test for UKIP next week is how they do in the Local elections, wherever they are putting up candidates.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Strong correlation between various economic indicators and the governing party's vote share, also I think that the Syria bounce is fading.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

Ah, but the really, real story is can the 2 main parties win enough of them back, or are the greater proportion of them lost for the foreseeable future?

And whats to stop additional losses in the future too?
    Indeed - it seems to be a given in some media circles that drift back will occur - but it may not - or may be slow and last minute.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Nice timing with The Crossover. Just in the run up to the IndyRef. Somebody up there wants Scotland to win.

Yesterday's poll on Sind showed little significant change.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Riddell says Balls will rise to save Labour...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10827622/As-Labour-stalls-its-time-to-bring-on-the-new-Balls.html

" Mr Miliband has no stauncher ally than his shadow chancellor, not least because their aims, for now at least, are identical. If Ed B is consolidating his influence, then Ed M can expect to reap the benefit."

;)

Gotta be a spoof right? No Really?
  • Options
    Wall Street Journal ‏@WSJ 2m
    Breaking: Sony expects to post a loss of $489 million for the current fiscal year. http://wsj.com

Thats embarrassing, I thought Sony was on the crest of a wave.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,407
    I wonder if a pretty nasty prism is being put together through which Labour results will be viewed next week? If the polls hadn't been as bad for Labour then in all likelihood any poor result could have been spun as "an isolated effect due to UKIP". Now though if Labour come third in the Euros and don't do as well in the locals, I think it will be harder to sell that sort of line. Conversely for the Tories a relatively good showing in the locals and staying ahead of Lab in the Euros may actually be portrayable as a species of victory.

• Options
    felix said:

Yesterday's poll on Sind showed little significant change.
    Which poll was that?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    MikeK said:

Wall Street Journal ‏@WSJ 2m
    Breaking: Sony expects to post a loss of $489 million for the current fiscal year. http://wsj.com

Thats embarrassing, I thought Sony was on the crest of a wave.

Japanese done in by the Koreans who in time will be done in by the Chinese.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Not surprised hat Labour are struggling.

The economy is growing, if not booming. Opposition has less wind in its sail.
    The Labour message is yet to cohere into a program for govt, feels very "oppositiony", but UKIP are a more potent protest vote.
    The labour message would go down very, very well in CLP meetings. That's quite a narrow appeal.
    EdM struggles to convince many outside.

So Labour are squeezed.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all from a dry and very sunny Glasgow. I guess those PBers with a betting slip saying Crossover Q2 2014 will be hoping tonight's the night!

I am glad others are confirming what I have thought for months, that on the ground the Tories are actually very active in very many places and not moribund as some have been suggesting for several years. The disconnect which has failed to register is that the Tories now have a fairly decent sized body of supporters who will help out but don't choose to pay a membership fee, often because it is too high. I mentioned some time ago that in Scotland when Ruth Davidson launched the helpers/friends campaign it resulted in hundreds of new volunteers and roughly £250k in donations. If this is being replicated in England, some Labour MPs in marginal seats better start sweating, never mind Tories in marginals. We can (almost) all hope for EBXMP next year.
  • Options
    Interesting piece about Pfizer and Astrazeneca, before I go in for breakfast.

Richard Calhoun ‏@richardcalhoun 5m
    A very bad day for Britain’s reputation as an open economy http://www.cityam.com/article/1400029580/very-bad-day-britain-s-reputation-open-economy
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    I live on the outskirts of a once strong but now embattled Labour outpost in Dundee. I have received SNP material re the Euros (didn't really mention them) and the tories (likewise really although there is the clear message of "we will give you a referendum") but absolutely nothing from Labour or of course the Lib Dems.

Labour have just not campaigned for the Euros at all. As the thread points out they have nothing of interest to say on the matter. Their PEB was all about class politics and being juvenile. Are they paying the price? Like the Newark story yesterday there has to be a suspicion that Labour are on their uppers with very little campaigning funds available.

The overall picture for Labour suggests flat or very gently declining contributions but a quick skim of the infomation available on the Electoral Commission's website does not disclose any particular crisis: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/political-parties-campaigning-and-donations/political-parties-annual-accounts/2012#Lab

In fact their net asset situation, although still in deficit, is better than it was as they use taxpayers money (short money) to pay down their debt. It may be that the uncertainty on their banking arrangements is weighing down on them as they switch from the Co Op to their new Union bankers.

I would be interested to learn if this picture of invisibility is reflected elsewhere. The euros are our least important elections but in the year before the GE ignoring the opportunity to show strength seems daft.
  • Options
    My reading is that EdM and his team are paying the price for not having a clear message for the Euro elections.

That is almost certainly true - and has horrible implications for Labour at the GE. It's not the Euro elections where Labour has no message. Labour has no message at all. There's some infantile class war and a bit of idiotically un-thought-through price control communism. But what is Labour's offer to the electorate? What is Labour for? I invite any lefty from Miliband himself via any of his useful idiots in the media to the PB lefty commentariat to just set it out. Go on tell us. This can't be avoided in the run up to May next year.

But nobody knows. Least of all Ed Miliband. And therein lies the problem.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    Remember that the trend is suddenly votes going from Labour, not votes going to the Tories. The anti-politics appeal of UKIP has been spread by the Euro campaign and apparently theyare now doing well on Labour's turf as well as the Tories.

So the key to number 10 remains UKIP as it was before. Now with three questions:
    1. Can the Tories win back defectors. "Vote Farage get Milliband" was ineffectual before, you would imagine even less so now that "Labour is doomed" allegedly
    2. Can Labour win back defectors. Be interesting so see how the polls behave after the Euros when that elections stops influencing Westminster VI. Could be a trend, could be a blip
    3. Can UKIP keep taking even more votes. For a party so many people hate and a leader so apparently awful, they seem rather effective.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    antifrank said:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/deciding-next-election-2-east-midlands.html

Another excellent piece thanks Antifrank. I don't understand all the odds but have enjoyed your entire series analysing seats the length and breadth of the country.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    edited May 2014
    theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/13/ukip-playing-race-card-im-quitting-the-party

= the story.

Edit: Not just me, then, who noticed a marked and nasty angle to the latest UKIP election literature.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    Jonathan said:

Not surprised hat Labour are struggling.

The economy is growing, if not booming. Opposition has less wind in its sail.
    The Labour message is yet to cohere into a program for govt, feels very "oppositiony", but UKIP are a more potent protest vote.
    The labour message would go down very, very well in CLP meetings. That's quite a narrow appeal.
    EdM struggles to convince many outside.

So Labour are squeezed.

Yesturday EdM was demanding changes in football club management in one paper and promising minimum GP waiting times in a different paper.

But what he lacks is any sort of coherant political philosophy.

It makes you wonder what they teach on that PPE course.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Metropolitan leftists have never understood how brittle Labour's support among the wwc is.

This is partly because many of them despise the wwc and aren't interested in understanding them.

The AV referendum when the 'progressive majority' was shown to exist only in eastern inner London and a few university towns should have been a wake up call to them.

But they didn't want to wake up.
  • Options
    As an addendum to my post, I think the notion that UKIP will melt away is fanciful. Tories like to pretend that all right leaning voters trust Cameron and think he's doing a great job and will therefore come home. Labour like to think their vote is tribal, that people don't know what UKIP stand for, and once they look past a protest vote will come home. Both sides think UKIP member are basically racist loonies and cant possibly appear.

And what both sides miss is the petty bigotry (not necessarily racism) that so many people have. Race, region, wealth, politics, faith - we all find things in others we dislike and say it openly. Yet when it comes to voters the mainstream parties don't want their voters to be bigots because its their people. So we get Brown on Gilliam Duffy, Cameron on UKIP racists, and both sides together on anyone in UKIP who ever said anything.

Farage has managed to tap into this on a cross political scale that makes Cameron and Clegg and Milliband weep. Ands that's why they all hate him. Because he's a better politician than they are.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Because he's a better politician than they are.

No, he isn't.

Populism is not the only measure of political worth.

David Cameron is PM. Ed might be. Nigel never will be.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2014
    Ed Miliband looks odd, talks oddly and has very odd mannerisms and has not a policy worth a sou. Not surprising that the protest votes that were going to Labour are slipping away. His comments of late have been arrogant, and the PPB was a joke..

Will they now be jolted from their complacency?
  • Options
    One for my creepy stalker

@georgeeaton: John Curtice on latest Scotland polls: "the progress made by the Yes side during the winter has not continued apace" http://t.co/PYEz6VuehW
  • Options
    Bricks anyone?

David Jones ‏@DavidJo52951945 3m
    Anti UKIP fascists now circulating Nigel Farage's home address- UKIP have the restraint not to retaliate http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/13/ukip-mep-gerard-batten-home-attacked
  • Options
    A UKIP welcome for ex Labour supporters:

pic.twitter.com/pkHviWSuhk

— UKIP Wakefield (@UKIPWakefield) May 11, 2014
  • Options
    Regarding Osborne's economic miracle, was at a presentation yesterday from one of the big grocery industry analyst companies. They talked about the "six year recession" where CPI outstrips wages growth. Economic growth has continued to erode spending power in average consumers and although the position is improving its still a negative.

Want to know why the Tory VI isn't improving and why only 1 in 8 feel any effects of economic recovery? Go ask the grocers.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    I though Labour were thought to be cash-strapped? Could explain the lack of campaigning seen by some on this thread?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    The GP story yesterday was a classic illustration of the bind that Labour finds itself in. It wants to do something dramatic so it, err, reheats a promise made but not delivered before, namely everyone gets to see a GP in 48 hours.

So there are resource implications for this new promise. Quite big one's actually. But there is no money. So they promise a really token amount of £10K per GP practice. Which gets about 1 additional GP session a week.

Our MSM are not very good at maths but even they pick up very quickly that there is a disparity here. The government helpfully produce a figure of £3bn. Probably off the back of a fag packet but who cares, it is already more credible than Labour's costings. So the idea gets bogged down in the fact there is no money and Labour are willing to make daft promises they cannot keep.

This was another throw away Labour headline initiative that has already been forgotten by most if they noticed it in the first place but how does a party whose main function is to find additional ways of spending on the needy in our society cope with seeking election to a government that will have to cut spending significantly? I don't think they are even close to finding an answer. And people are starting to notice.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Yesturday EdM was demanding changes in football club management in one paper and promising minimum GP waiting times in a different paper.

But what he lacks is any sort of coherant political philosophy.

It makes you wonder what they teach on that PPE course.

Labour's apparently still running with the political philosophy that it can make all of those nasty things in your life disappear - using the soothing balm of the money tree.

Their problem is the voters don't see it as coherent. With good reason. The promise of "Government by fortune cookie" has been shown up as worthless.

The Labour campaign in 2015 is shaping up to be a car crash. Heh!
  • Options

The Labour campaign in 2015 is shaping up to be a car crash. Heh!

With Ed Balls at the wheel...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Because he's a better politician than they are.

No, he isn't.

Populism is not the only measure of political worth.

David Cameron is PM. Ed might be. Nigel never will be.
    Farage is a demagogue, pure and simple.
  • Options
    And so it will come down to a choice of a government who recognises the problems people face and wants to help where money allows, or a government who either doesn't recognise the problems or actively is making the problems worse.

No wonder UKIP are doing well. Previously the "I'm angry I need a protest vote who promise the moon on a stick and won't win" was the LibDems. Since their buyout by the Tories the protest voters gave been stuck, but happily here comes UKIP to the rescue. Not only are they a safe protest vote they also offer someone to blame for causing all your troubles.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    TOPPING said:

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/13/ukip-playing-race-card-im-quitting-the-party

= the story.

Edit: Not just me, then, who noticed a marked and nasty angle to the latest UKIP election literature.

Morning all.

A stinker, this one.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnjPb12IIAANh9w.png:large

Whoever thought a breakfast of kippers would leave such a bad taste in one's mouth?
  • Options

antifrank said:

Another excellent piece thanks Antifrank. I don't understand all the odds but have enjoyed your entire series analysing seats the length and breadth of the country.
    Thank you. I'm glad you enjoy them. I've found out a lot while putting them together.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

He is surrounded by bodyguards, and people are throwing bricks at his supporters.

Sign of a good politician?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Interesting polling recently. Looks like these imminent elections are helping to concentrate minds.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ipsos Mori showed a tie or 1% Tory lead. Last month's 6% Labour lead was well out of line.

And yesterday there was YouGov polling on the Nigerian girls showing pretty clear support for the use of troops to help rescue them.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/13/send-troops-if-nigeria-asks-them-say-public/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

As an addendum to my post, I think the notion that UKIP will melt away is fanciful. Tories like to pretend that all right leaning voters trust Cameron and think he's doing a great job and will therefore come home. Labour like to think their vote is tribal, that people don't know what UKIP stand for, and once they look past a protest vote will come home. Both sides think UKIP member are basically racist loonies and cant possibly appear.

And what both sides miss is the petty bigotry (not necessarily racism) that so many people have. Race, region, wealth, politics, faith - we all find things in others we dislike and say it openly. Yet when it comes to voters the mainstream parties don't want their voters to be bigots because its their people. So we get Brown on Gilliam Duffy, Cameron on UKIP racists, and both sides together on anyone in UKIP who ever said anything.

Farage has managed to tap into this on a cross political scale that makes Cameron and Clegg and Milliband weep. Ands that's why they all hate him. Because he's a better politician than they are.

I think society would be happier if people in authority could accept that most of us are prejudiced about *something*

• Options

I though Labour were thought to be cash-strapped? Could explain the lack of campaigning seen by some on this thread?

Possibly, and maybe they are saving ammunition for next year. However you can't fatten a pig on market day.
  • Options
    Just looking at 2014's YouGov 2010 VI splits:

Labour 2010 VI:(all monthly averages)

Lab for Lab: Jan: 85.4; May (td): 81.9
    Lab for UKIP: Jan: 5.0; May: 7.3
    Lab for Cons: Jan 4.5; May: 5.3

LibDems 2010:VI

LD for Lab: Jan: 34.2: May: 31.2
    LD for UKIP: Jan: 9.5: May: 11.9
    LD for Green: Jan: 5.4; May: 7.1
    LD for Cons: Jan 12.1; May: 12.9
    LD for LD: Jan: 35.3; May: 33.4

All small movements which add up.

Cons have been quite steady.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

He is surrounded by bodyguards, and people are throwing bricks at his supporters.

Sign of a politician who's hated by the extreme left.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

Being surrounded by bodyguards is sensible if idiots are launching bricks at you. Farage will be stopped by argument not violence.

I maintain he is a demagogue, playing to the lowest common denominator. It often looks superficially successful but such people are monstrously dangerous.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    Scott_P said:

One for my creepy stalker

'Chase me, chase me.'

• Options
    ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

Being surrounded by bodyguards is sensible if idiots are launching bricks at you. Farage will be stopped by argument not violence.

I maintain he is a demagogue, playing to the lowest common denominator. It often looks superficially successful but such people are monstrously dangerous.
    What "monstrous dangers" do you see in Mr. Farage?

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

Nope, just a sign that when the left have lost the intellectual argument they will resort to violence. Something we have seen time and time again over the years.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    AveryLP said:

TOPPING said:

= the story.

Morning all.

A stinker, this one.

Whoever thought a breakfast of kippers would leave such a bad taste in one's mouth?
    I will caveat this by saying I would never vote UKIP (mainly due to the fact I think it is a wasted vote) but on that piece of Romanian literature, if it is factual, why is off-limits?

UKIP are a party which wants us to leave the EU, information such as that helps their cause. So why not?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Unfortunately Labour can't see the open goal that is yawning in front of it. To say something meaningful about globalisation and how to mitigate its excesses.

When people fear immigration, what they really fear is globalisation. Loss of manufacturing, wages and real jobs. Globalisation. Lack of real choice in the market. Globalisation. Corporations without any local roots or responsibilities. Globalisation. Too big to fail and bankrupt Government. Globalisation.

Nobody doubts globalisation has brought tremendous benefits, but the degree to which these benefits are being shared is increasingly narrow.

This is the discontent into which Farage is tapping so successfully. The irony is that he himself has little to say about it. Instead pointing at the EU as a useful squirrel. When Labour have something meaningful to say about globalisation they will have found their niche again, but at the moment they look lost.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

His supporters?

Here is a twitpic of the 'likes' which appear on the Facebook page of Bill Etherington, UKIP's prospective MEP for the West Midlands Region.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BniMAWfCQAArHDy.jpg:large

Sean, UKIP are both sinned against and sinning. Farage rightly complains about bricks being thrown through his MEP's windows but he should also be insisting that his candidates immediately and without hesitation disassociate themselves from the true loony right.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

The danger that once you start scapegoating groups it proves irresistible and impossible to stop.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

His supporters?

Here is a twitpic of the 'likes' which appear on the Facebook page of Bill Etherington, UKIP's prospective MEP for the West Midlands Region.

Sean, UKIP are both sinned against and sinning. Farage rightly complains about bricks being thrown through his MEP's windows but he should also be insisting that his candidates immediately and without hesitation disassociate themselves from the true loony right.
    From the man who told us that Conservative MPs "would never miss an opportunity to bomb ragheads".

Tell us Avery do Conservative MPs view only Arabs as 'ragheads' or is it Muslims generally ?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

AveryLP said:

TOPPING said:

= the story.

Morning all.

A stinker, this one.

I will caveat this by saying I would never vote UKIP (mainly due to the fact I think it is a wasted vote) but on that piece of Romanian literature, if it is factual, why is off-limits?

UKIP are a party which wants us to leave the EU, information such as that helps their cause. So why not?
    Change Romanians for Jews and you might see why not.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Not had a single Labour leaflet yet. The ward is dead safe Labour, so is the seat (Derb NE). I might not expect one in a GE or a LE campaign, the Labour vote can be WEIGHED in here.

For the Euros though this is prime Labour GOTV territory, East Midlands is a marginal seat - the sort that could decide who wins on seats on the night. The fact I've had no campaign literature is telling... May receive one soon, I don't know - but none so far

Con, UKIP, BNP, AIFE all mailed me so far.
  • Options
    Still no discussion of Labour's new PEB?

They have gone from a film that dare not show the leader to a film exclusively about the NHS that doesn't seem to feature the Shadow Health Secretary, Andy "Stafford" Burnham
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Sources @UKIP dismiss resignation of prominent Asian supporter Sanya-Jeet Thandi as "of no great significance"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

His supporters?

Well that's very strange Avery. I am friends with Bill and have just gone through all 644 of his Facebook likes. They include 9 different Conservative associations around the country, Ian Duncan Smith, Norman Tebbit and Joanna Lumley. But what a surprise, not one of those pictures that you link to appears as a like on his page... except the one of himself.

Do you think perhaps someone is once again trying to smear Bill? You perhaps? Not so surprising that he is a particular target given that he draws a very large amount of his support in Wolverhampton from the various ethnic minority groups in the area.

Maybe in future you should check your facts before posting such smears, at least when they can be so easily checked.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Monksfield, Labour have a few issues knocking globalisation.

1) It'll make their decision to let immigrants flood the country look even more stupid than it actually was, and is utterly contrary to Labour policy since about 1997 (maybe earlier).

2) It's to a certain extent meaningless without leaving the EU, as we cannot stop other EU member state citizens from coming here otherwise.

3) It could lose Labour its support from immigrant groups (this isn't a straightforward immigrant = pro-Labour situation but they probably do have more support than other parties from immigrants generally).

4) There's a risk it'll add to the argument Labour are either anti-business or just ignorant about the economy. This is a relatively minor risk, as this already seems to be the case.

On Farage: the behaviour towards him is despicable, as it was when he was abused (although not with bricks) when he visited Scotland.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

The danger that once you start scapegoating groups it proves irresistible and impossible to stop.
    Funny, the Tories have been scapegoating the unemployed for years.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Fenster said:

AveryLP said:

TOPPING said:

= the story.

Morning all.

A stinker, this one.

The phenomenon and language of the BNP and NF are not so historically distant that their reprise, in tone at least, perhaps in content also, is not crystal clear in today's UKIP literature.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

AveryLP said:

TOPPING said:

= the story.

Morning all.

A stinker, this one.

I would support any balanced and well-researched article which quoted comparative statistics as a means of identifying a problem and proposing a solution.

This is not the case here. It is a snippet from a campaigning leaflet designed to attract support from the prejudiced.

What is really objectionable though is the shielded attack on the middle european Romani (generally referred to as "gypsies") rather than Romanian nationals. This smacks more of the 1930s than the twenty first century.

The real test of published 'facts' such as these is what is the intent of the author? Is it to solve a problem positively or to incite a negative reaction from readers?
  • Options
    Camera crew in the Commons today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27402902
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    antifrank said:

The individual policies may be popular, but it's like a stall offering "free" beer. There is always a catch, and people aren't as stupid as Labour hoped. I think the constant drum beat of populism from the red team contrasts poorly to the very serious tone taken by the coalition (excluding the current bun fight over free schools and lunches). People seem to be looking at their policies and thinking, yeah but where is the money going to come from, or how they are even going to be possible.

Having one or two populist policies is fine, people love money off bingo and booze (as Grant Shapps kindly pointed out), but having a whole election platform built on them just smacks of incompetence. Labour have no answer to the economic issues of the day other than this stupid cost of living wheeze which has completely run out of steam.
  • Options
    Ed is so self-effacing NOT

"Miliband said: “Polls go up and down. I've seen that over three and a half years in this job.” Ruling out a change of strategy, he argued that he was “more personally competent” than Mr Cameron. " Independent 14/05/14
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @MarqueeMark

You can set your watch by you. When polling is good for the Tories, you declare victory. When it's good for Labour you are nowhere to be found. It's quite common among many.

I am very shaken by the recent polling. But there will be some very red faces on here if Labour stretches out a lead again. As Antifrank said yesterday it is bordering on the hysterical at times.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    This being the fourth poll to note a significant fall in the Labour score I think it's fair to note that we are seeing for Labour a forerunner of next years GE campaign, that being when voters turn their mind to elections and especially to the next government then Miliband will suffer.

Perversely I think we will see a bouncelet back to Labour when voters turn away from elections over the summer perhaps with crossover polls springing up from time to time.

However for Labour this dress rehearsal for the general election has seen the fat lady in good voice and warming up nicely for the main event next year.

Tick tock .. tick tock ....
  • Options

Camera crew in the Commons today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27402902

Speaker grants opportunity for Speaker to feature heavily in TV show.

Shocker.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

His supporters?

Well that's very strange Avery. I am friends with Bill and have just gone through all 644 of his Facebook likes. They include 9 different Conservative associations around the country, Ian Duncan Smith, Norman Tebbit and Joanna Lumley. But what a surprise, not one of those pictures that you link to appears as a like on his page... except the one of himself.

Do you think perhaps someone is once again trying to smear Bill? You perhaps? Not so surprising that he is a particular target given that he draws a very large amount of his support in Wolverhampton from the various ethnic minority groups in the area.

Maybe in future you should check your facts before posting such smears, at least when they can be so easily checked.
    Game set and match.
  • Options
    Monksfield.

Your point about globalisation is entirely true. And we can't uninvent the internet or jet planes or global markets or supply chains or a generally much deeper level of interaction between regions of the world.

So...over time there will be pressure for living standards everywhere to harmonise (or at least towards as much harmony as unequal cultures of productivity, adaptability and innovation will permit).

What should politicians anywhere do to respond? COMPETE! Every nation needs its USP and its competitve advantage and should pursue them relentlessly. In the developed world we must stay powerful at the 'top end' - we have no future competing with Vietnam on costs for clothing manufacture! We need a smart, well educated, entrepreneurial, innovative, competitve approach.

I think Dave absolutely gets it. The coalition is driving to reform education, cut the state, compete on tax rates, promote business, etc, etc. Dave talks alot about the 'Global Race' (maybe the expression is ugly but the underlying understanding is spot on).

France, on the other hand, is almost a poster-boy for the 'head in the sand' approach to hard realities. It's just not possible to retreat into protectionism. If you choose not to compete - well the world will compete without you and you'll lose. They're f*&^%ed.

And where is Miliband on this? Intervention, cost controls, renationalisation, welfarism, unions, blah blah blah. Precisely at the wrong end of the decision spectrum.

Sun Zi said in The Art of War: Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. What we're hearing From Labour these days is the noise before defeat (if not for themselves then for our country).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

When you see the garbage on the express front page you know the unionists are a busted flush. How stupid do they think people really are in Scotland.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/475767/Bank-warns-cash-could-flood-out-of-Scotland-after-Yes-vote
    A YES vote could trigger a rush by savers and investors to get their money out of the country.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Fenster said:

AveryLP said:

TOPPING said:

= the story.

Morning all.

A stinker, this one.

I would support any balanced and well-researched article which quoted comparative statistics as a means of identifying a problem and proposing a solution.

This is not the case here. It is a snippet from a campaigning leaflet designed to attract support from the prejudiced.

What is really objectionable though is the shielded attack on the middle european Romani (generally referred to as "gypsies") rather than Romanian nationals. This smacks more of the 1930s than the twenty first century.

The real test of published 'facts' such as these is what is the intent of the author? Is it to solve a problem positively or to incite a negative reaction from readers?
    To be effective, political campaigning has to attract support from "the prejudiced".

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@MarqueeMark

You can set your watch by you. When polling is good for the Tories, you declare victory. When it's good for Labour you are nowhere to be found. It's quite common among many.

I am very shaken by the recent polling. But there will be some very red faces on here if Labour stretches out a lead again. As Antifrank said yesterday it is bordering on the hysterical at times.

Good lord - your obsession with Tories who comment on good polls for them is bizarre - I mean why wouldn't they? Polls go up and down according to he of the great intellect and personal competence [yes the 'big Ed' - if that doesen't re-assure you what will?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

These are nightmares of your own imagining.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

I am all in favour of legal protest, but attempting to stifle a lawful party from campaigning by use of acts of intimidation, reflects more on those protestors than the politician, no matter how distasteful one may find the message.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    malcolmg said:

When you see the garbage on the express front page you know the unionists are a busted flush. How stupid do they think people really are in Scotland.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/475767/Bank-warns-cash-could-flood-out-of-Scotland-after-Yes-vote
    A YES vote could trigger a rush by savers and investors to get their money out of the country.
    That's a Deutsche Bank report. Should temper your germanophilia.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    felix said:

BobaFett said:

@MarqueeMark

Good lord - your obsession with Tories who comment on good polls for them is bizarre - I mean why wouldn't they? Polls go up and down according to he of the great intellect and personal competence [yes the 'big Ed' - if that doesen't re-assure you what will?
    It's the triumphalism - "Ed's GE campaign a car crash", "stick a skewer in Ed, he's done", etc etc. you can comment as you like. Just as I can comment on your comments.
  • Options
    Mr. G, if a bank has mostly UK customers and Scotland leaves the union it'll be faced with a decision about where to base itself. England is about ten times the size, in population terms, so it wouldn't be surprising if financial institutions came south, particularly if there's an issue over lender of last resort status (which isn't a theoretical but practical consideration these days).
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    felix said:

Ed is so self-effacing NOT

"Miliband said: “Polls go up and down. I've seen that over three and a half years in this job.” Ruling out a change of strategy, he argued that he was “more personally competent” than Mr Cameron. " Independent 14/05/14

Was the response what one should expect: "well they've mostly been down since you took over"?
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, indeed. Reminds me of when they burnt an effigy of Nick Griffin. The attitude taken by some was that, because Griffin's an arse, it didn't really matter.

This is despicable behaviour by vile idiots.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

ToryJim said:

These are nightmares of your own imagining.
    I fear they have multiple historical precedent.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MikeK said:

To quote Mr Keegan - "I would love it if that happened, love it"

• Options
    BobaFett said:

It's the triumphalism - "Ed's GE campaign a car crash", "stick a skewer in Ed, he's done", etc etc. you can comment as you like. Just as I can comment on your comments.

Bob, as a Forest fan and with the prospect of Derby County being a division above us, you take your triumphalism where you can....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Oh, what a shame that it's all going down the pan for Ed.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    According to Prof Curtice the overnight TNS Referendum poll is 59/41 for NO when the DK's are excluded.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Yes malcolm, clearly rubbish - as any fule kno, Scotland has no money. It all comes from England...
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    JackW said:

According to Prof Curtice the overnight TNS Referendum poll is 59/41 for NO when the DK's are excluded.

We need a PanelBase poll.

• Options
    Love this Obamaesque cartoon of Ed

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnlKZyzIgAAiowx.jpg:large

• Options
    Greetings, comrades.

Do not listen to the siren calls of the so-called polls! These misleading vultures of capitalism are merely parroting the foul utterances of the bourgeois decadent class! A demographically representative and statistically significant numerical assessment of voter intentions is no match for the intellectual self-confidence of Comrade Miliband!

Already the Comrade of Competence has put together a dazzling array of innovative, brilliant policies, certain to deliver ultimate victory not only in 2015, but all subsequent elections! Indeed, Comrade Miliband's ongoing triumphs are so certain that the People's Democratic Committee has called on him to abolish elections after his victory in 2015 to avoid unnecessary disruption and silence the capitalist pigdogs and foreign interlopers who would trouble the prosperity and happiness of Britain.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Monksfield.

Your point about globalisation is entirely true. And we can't uninvent the internet or jet planes or global markets or supply chains or a generally much deeper level of interaction between regions of the world.

So...over time there will be pressure for living standards everywhere to harmonise (or at least towards as much harmony as unequal cultures of productivity, adaptability and innovation will permit).

What should politicians anywhere do to respond? COMPETE! Every nation needs its USP and its competitve advantage and should pursue them relentlessly. In the developed world we must stay powerful at the 'top end' - we have no future competing with Vietnam on costs for clothing manufacture! We need a smart, well educated, entrepreneurial, innovative, competitve approach.

I think Dave absolutely gets it. The coalition is driving to reform education, cut the state, compete on tax rates, promote business, etc, etc. Dave talks alot about the 'Global Race' (maybe the expression is ugly but the underlying understanding is spot on).

France, on the other hand, is almost a poster-boy for the 'head in the sand' approach to hard realities. It's just not possible to retreat into protectionism. If you choose not to compete - well the world will compete without you and you'll lose. They're f*&^%ed.

And where is Miliband on this? Intervention, cost controls, renationalisation, welfarism, unions, blah blah blah. Precisely at the wrong end of the decision spectrum.

Sun Zi said in The Art of War: Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. What we're hearing From Labour these days is the noise before defeat (if not for themselves then for our country).

@Patrick

Totally agree with you - what makes it harder is that the UK has overpaid itself for decades whilst at the same time losing both capacity and capability (skill sets) and has to reverse some 40 years of bad educational theory and practice.

Too many politicians look to the past and not what is needed for the next 20-30 years and build a plan to achieve the required objectives.

In the meantime, what are we going to do with the thousands of uneducated/undereducated and unemployable.
This discussion has been closed.