Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling analysis: The big driver of Labour’s decline has no

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Polling analysis: The big driver of Labour’s decline has not been been a move to CON but to don’t know

The chart shows the responses of those telling ICM in their last six polls that they voted Labour at GE2010 but have now switched to either “Dont know/Refused” or Ukip.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    first?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Hello?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    First
  • Options
    Oh, this thread was published earlier, I'm claiming a moral first.
  • Options
    So this is fascinating, so will we some switchback?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Is it they don't know if they can win with Ed?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

TSE. It was published by accident when I thought I was clicking "Save Draft"

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Eagles, that's about as accurate an observation as your earlier failed efforts at classical history.

Like Crassus at Carrhae, you get points for trying.
  • Options

TSE. It was published by accident when I thought I was clicking "Save Draft"

I've done that a few times.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,635
    edited May 2014
    FPT
    foxinsoxuk said:

Not surprisingly I differ.

While having made some mistakes (all parties do, and particularly ones that have been out of government a long time) generally I am happy with the LD ministers and their role in government. Cable has been a waste of space, but the remainder have performed well.

In the short term I expect the party to suffer, but in the longer term this will be recognised as a very competent government. The prospect of either Labour or Tory majority government red in tooth and claw is not a pleasant prospect.

The number of voters willing to give the LDs credit for being reasonably competent during a difficult governmental period is, I suspect, far less than those who would have preferred there to be no government at all which had the Tories in it.

I think the hysterical negativity surrounding the LDs and their virtual wipeouts from certain regions is out of proportion to the level of their supposed political crimes and duplicities, which is normally just the same thing all parties do, just in opposition to what those who hate them wanted, but I really don't see how even in the long term they will benefit.

In the long term, this may come to be seen as a competent government (time will tell I guess, though at the least it's somehow less dysfunctional than the previous Lab majority government), but in the long term there would not appear to be a space for a middle ground centrist party of the scale the LDs once achieved and want to remain as.

There's nothing wrong with having a smaller, niche focus as a political party, and they might achieve a more modest goal, but they still have pretensions to the numbers they achieved in recent times, and in the long term becoming the junior party to Labour that so many apparently thought they were voting for, seems the likeliest way to achieve that. More than expecting people to go 'Those LDs proved pretty ok in government, we should give them credit for partnering with the hated Tories'. The hatred is too irrational in its passion to be overcome without a change in course I think.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Anyway.....bring on the Yougov. It's Basils turn at 10PM and the Tramadol is wearing off.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that's about as accurate an observation as your earlier failed efforts at classical history.

Like Crassus at Carrhae, you get points for trying.

Mr Dancer you should come to the Ilkley meet, I'll even pick you up and drop you back.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    If I'm reading this graph correctly - it means almost all the LD switchers have effectively gone to labour in some way. I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    So when do Tories expect to actually start seriously rising in the polls, as opposed to Labour declining to their level?
  • Options
    On topic, last May I did notice that Lab were losing more votes to UKIP than any other party.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/05/29/polling-averages-and-changes-with-the-phone-pollsters-since-january/
  • Options
    kle4 - Very good chance the LDs are going to be in government again post '15 - I would suggest people get used to the love.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

kle4 - Very good chance the LDs are going to be in government again post '15 - I would suggest people get used to the love.

Hell, I may vote for them myself, haven't decided yet (though I do feel coalitions are a goof thing, so long as they have a manageable number of constituent parts). I view the chances of the LDs being required to make up the numbers in a government in 2015 to be pretty low, although clearly some people are worried about it as there have been some articles floating around whinging about how unfair such a prospect would be.

So long as the big two fail to enthuse their bases, the LDs can scrape by on the low teens which they will probably manage in 2015 and stay true to their current course, but if they want to get more than that, a different strategy is needed I think, as the solidity of their polling for 4 years show the current course has pretty much tapped out the reserves of people willing to be convinced that it is a good thing

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @kle4

I actually think the Lib Dems have done a pretty good job for the most part, and, Vince aside, have mostly put the needs of the country ahead of politics. I also admire Nick Clegg for regularly putting himself out there for questions and generally answering them honestly.

However, there position on the EU is just so absurdly wrong that I would not be able to bring myself to vote for them. They are extremists on this issue and refuse to see any nuance at all. What's worse, Nick Clegg has repeatedly and knowingly used dodgy statistics to defend it (e.g. three million jobs, immigrants founding 1 in 7 UK companies etc).
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,401
    edited May 2014
    The Matt on the front of tomorrow's Telegraph is perfect.

twitter.com/telegraph/status/466681755970584576
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics now

YouGov/Sun poll for GE2015 - Labour lead by three points: CON 32%, LAB 35%, LD 10%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 10s

YouGov/Sun poll for European elections - Labour three points ahead of Ukip: CON 22%, LAB 28%, LD 10%, UKIP 25%, GRN 10%
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll for GE2015 - Labour lead by three points: CON 32%, LAB 35%, LD 10%, UKIP 13%

Like I said earlier daily polls should be scrapped after the next election. They are an utter nonsense.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 10s

YouGov/Sun poll for European elections - Labour three points ahead of Ukip: CON 22%, LAB 28%, LD 10%, UKIP 25%, GRN 10%

Ooh Good I took £10 of 4.4 on Labour earlier on Betfair
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    kle4 - wait till the good news economy kicks in. Any percent they are at now you can +5 - Then we can start the analysis.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2014
    The Green surge is looking more solid by the hour.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177
    That can't be right. I'm reliably informed that the 2 polls showing a Tory lead was because of the magnificence and economic prowess of Osborne and his economic miracle for all. This suggests that the Tories haven't moved a jot and instead we've seen some Labour voters get a smidge uncertain.

Or in summary, the Tories have done literally nothing to persuade the great unwashed up here in the desolate north to vote for them. Just 1 in 8 think there is any recovery. And media focus on an election platform (the Greens, UKIP) boosts votes, so you imagine that some wavering Labour voters will waver a little less once we have had plenty of meat on the bones from this year's conference onwards.

Or, as I put it on the thread earlier, PB Tories have decided that this week's sudden mass swing not to their party is proof that there will be no more swings of any description in the next year because they have already won.....
  • Options
    Changes since the last YouGov Euros poll

Con minus 1, Lab plus 3, LD plus 1, UKIP minus 3, Green plus 2
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    RFS = UKIP?
  • Options
    Rochadale - GO can only save the world once. The coalationistas won some time ago.
  • Options
    These Euro polls are all over the shop tbh
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm looking forward to doing the PB thread a week on Monday giving the PB award for the most accurate pollster in the Euros.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I thought The S*n didn't generally pre-announce their polls unless it was good for Dave? Unless it's going back to Labour. Rupert doesn't like a loser after all.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    The Axe is cutting through already :)

(MOE)
  • Options

I thought The S*n didn't generally pre-announce their polls unless it was good for Dave? Unless it's going back to Labour. Rupert doesn't like a loser after all.

When people start saying polls with Labour leads of 3 are good for Labour, you know Labour are in trouble.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    David Axelrod, who helped President Obama to win the White House twice, will try to improve the party’s communications and presentation but will also look at Mr Miliband’s performance in front of the cameras.

The party has been aware for several months that this is an issue. It has conducted focus groups in which members of the public were shown clips of Mr Miliband on television. The participants reacted badly.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4090085.ece
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2014
    YouGov Euros UNS

Lab 23 (+10)
    UKIP 20 (+7)
    Con 16 (-10)
    LDs 4 (-7)
    Green 4 (+2)
    SNP 2 (nc)
    Plaid 1 (nc)

Green gains in Eastern England and Yorks & Humber...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ashcroft been teasing his marginals poll again

twitter.com/lordashcroft/status/466653385832550400
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

The Green surge is looking more solid by the hour.

They got 8% at the last Euros so it shouldn't be too surprising. Given what's happened to the Lib Dems they should be aiming for 10+.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

When people start saying polls with Labour leads of 3 are good for Labour, you know Labour are in trouble.
    Still no tory poll movement,only backwards.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    ToryJim said:

Like I said earlier daily polls should be scrapped after the next election. They are an utter nonsense.
    Would you ban them, do you think they're bad business for those commissioning them or do you think they're misleading for those reading and interpreting them?

Personally, I think the daily polls are a great data mine and a huge benefit to watchers of politics. It's not so much the daily movement that matters; it's that over the course of a month or so, you can separate out the wheat from the chaff - the rogue polls and ephemeral blips - in a way that you can't anywhere near as easily in monthly surveys.
  • Options

@DPJHodges: We've now reached the point where a year from polling day Labour supporters claim a 3 point lead is a good poll.
  • Options

That can't be right. I'm reliably informed that the 2 polls showing a Tory lead was because of the magnificence and economic prowess of Osborne and his economic miracle for all. This suggests that the Tories haven't moved a jot and instead we've seen some Labour voters get a smidge uncertain.

Or in summary, the Tories have done literally nothing to persuade the great unwashed up here in the desolate north to vote for them. Just 1 in 8 think there is any recovery. And media focus on an election platform (the Greens, UKIP) boosts votes, so you imagine that some wavering Labour voters will waver a little less once we have had plenty of meat on the bones from this year's conference onwards.

Or, as I put it on the thread earlier, PB Tories have decided that this week's sudden mass swing not to their party is proof that there will be no more swings of any description in the next year because they have already won.....

The reaction to a few polls showing a Tory leader was of course overblown, but forgivable for a party which had not seen one for several years, and given the state they had fallen to, it was still significant even if only an outlier, as again no such outlier had been seen for years, but I would agree the chances there would not be further swings to and fro over the next year and that it would be smooth sailing all the way up to a Tory win, was definitely ridiculous if it was a view honestly held, although I do think that though GO may not get as much credit for the Tories for the economy turning around as Tories hope - it was bound to happen eventually, though everywhere will benefit to some degree eventually some areas have felt little of it to date, etc etc - a small bump would be a reasonable reward to expect, if not enough to save them.

Overall I find myself disappointed in the government, but then the principle reason I wanted a Coalition was to eliminate the deficit, and the other side wouldn't have achieved that either and didn't promise to, so there's not much reason to punish the Coalition for that failure by voting Labour as they would have been little different except in the small details, and the rest of the parliament has been a mixed bag.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    We're going to win the election!
  • Options

Still no tory poll movement,only backwards.

There has been a general tick up in the Tory share of the vote. I have a thread ready for next week.

And I've got a thread coming up on does swingback happen or not and will it happen next year.

Also, I've got a piece that will alarm Labour strategists and supporters, and one that even surprised me when I researched it.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 1m

We've now reached the point where a year from polling day Labour supporters claim a 3 point lead is a good poll.
  • Options
    Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 35s

Polls clear as mud: Cons ahead except when Lab is; Ukip surging unless the bubble's bursting; Lab 1st or 3rd in euros
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

David Axelrod, who helped President Obama to win the White House twice, will try to improve the party’s communications and presentation but will also look at Mr Miliband’s performance in front of the cameras.

The party has been aware for several months that this is an issue. It has conducted focus groups in which members of the public were shown clips of Mr Miliband on television. The participants reacted badly.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4090085.eceIf Miliband's performances have not become more appealing to the public by now, they never will. I think he's fine to be honest. Though wasn't there some story from months back about how views shown soundbite clips thought Ed M was bad, but if they saw a few minutes more they warmed to him?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Ave_it said:

And then will take mark yeates back ;-)

• Options
    edited May 2014
    My own take on the polls, the real position is something like Lab 34, Con 31, but with MOE leading to some fun and excitement as the Cons and Lab swap positions more often than the Karma Sutra.

The fun thing is, will the polls remain static like this over the next year?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    An excellent article demonstrating how the equation of Ukrainian patriotism and fascism is a long-standing trick of Russian propaganda:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117692/fascism-returns-ukraine
  • Options
    TSE on 7 May 2015 it will be Con loads Lab not much!
  • Options

Polls clear as mud: Cons ahead except when Lab is; Ukip surging unless the bubble's bursting; Lab 1st or 3rd in euros

Maguire knows nothing about polls, obviously...
  • Options

Ave_it said:

We'll take anyone!

• Options

ToryJim said:

Would you ban them, do you think they're bad business for those commissioning them or do you think they're misleading for those reading and interpreting them?

Personally, I think the daily polls are a great data mine and a huge benefit to watchers of politics. It's not so much the daily movement that matters; it's that over the course of a month or so, you can separate out the wheat from the chaff - the rogue polls and ephemeral blips - in a way that you can't anywhere near as easily in monthly surveys.
    I wouldn't ban them, I just think it boils politics down to who is up or down which is crap. Everything is seen through the prism of whether it will lead to a poll bounce or not. I just think fewer polls might make analysis a bit better and more focused on the merits of the announcement etc rather than it's potential to shift a poll figure. I appreciate your point about data but politics are about principals and policies not an exercise in statistical analysis.
  • Options

My own take on the polls, the real position is something like Lab 34, Con 31, but with MOE leading to some fun and excitement as the Cons and Lab swap positions more often than the Karma Sutra.

For the most part I'll say yes, with Tory drops after the Euros as Tories do poorly and, like Cameron's Tories do, panic, and also drop after the Scottish referendum, as they break into chaos amid speculation Cameron will resign, notwithstanding previous assurances on the topic.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

Maguire knows nothing about polls, obviously...
    Did you need all those words after nothing?
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft

Some fascinating numbers coming from the Tory/labour battleground constituencies for the GE. Come and hear them at.. http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/05/your-chance-to-join-george-osborne-lord-ashcroft-douglas-carswell-timmontgomerie-at-conservativehomes-spring-conference.html

Does this sound good or bad news for the tories.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Pulpstar said:

Actually, there's not much difference between Yougov, Survation, ICM, and Opinium. Roughly, they put UKIP on 29%, Labour on 27%, Con 23%. Yougov's certain to vote numbers tend to push UKIP up and the Conservatives down.

TNS and ComRes gave much higher UKIP numbers, but we haven't heard from them for a fortnight.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

I wouldn't ban them, I just think it boils politics down to who is up or down which is crap. Everything is seen through the prism of whether it will lead to a poll bounce or not. I just think fewer polls might make analysis a bit better and more focused on the merits of the announcement etc rather than it's potential to shift a poll figure. I appreciate your point about data but politics are about principals and policies not an exercise in statistical analysis.
    When you have to run a site like PB, the daily poll is great.

When you're struggling with something to write for a thread, there's something in YouGov you can use for a thread.
  • Options
    I had better not tell Basil Labour are ahead in two sets of polls, he has enough carrying one polling crossover goalpost, never mind two......he would go mucking fentle.

https://rockysmith.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/squirrel.jpg?w=500
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Plenty of time for that to change. In the interim, Labour's YouGov average this month is around 36%. In April it was over 37%; in January, it was 38.7%; last May (despite the UKIP surge), it was 39.2%; last January, it was 42.6%; in May 2012, it was 43.4%.

Yes, the Tories have something of a problem picking up votes but do you not think Labour has a problem too?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

For the most part I'll say yes, with Tory drops after the Euros as Tories do poorly and, like Cameron's Tories do, panic, and also drop after the Scottish referendum, as they break into chaos amid speculation Cameron will resign, notwithstanding previous assurances on the topic.

My other thought is.

Don't just look at one poll, look at the broad trend.

As Mike keeps on telling me (as Sir Bob Worcester kept on telling Mike), don't focus on the leads, look at the share of the vote for each party.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Sunday's poll had Labour with a seven point lead. Would that suffice for Hodges?

Three points is rubbish but it's better than a two point deficit.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Think the election results will be better for Tories than thought, and even if grim I think it's factored in. Tories won't panic, they will soak up the bad news and then rapidly pivot to the main task. The Tories are far more disciplined than they be been in ages.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT.

david_herdson said:
    » show previous quotes
    The Liberals were part of the National government in the early '30s, so more like eighty years.
    They were also part of Churchill's wartime coalition.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Amidst an avalanche of leaflets today for the Euro elections today, one from the BNP which seemed to be based around the premise that UKIP was soft on immigration, with UKIP seen as an acceptable protest unlike Griffin's band looks like the BNP are trying to minimise the damage
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

Sunday's poll had Labour with a seven point lead. Would that suffice for Hodges?

Three points is rubbish but it's better than a two point deficit.

In times of trouble, Lord Dan of PBshire can always point to his secret marginal poll(who he claimed was done by the Tory Party, Tory Party then said they had ever heard of it) showing the Tory Party 10% ahead (only Dan has seen it).
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

When you're struggling with something to write for a thread, there's something in YouGov you can use for a thread.
    Hmm polls shouldn't be there just as a get out for your lack of imagination ;)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

We'll take anyone!

David Connolly?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Ave_it said:

Great to see the main cheerleader of the PB right has returned. Lord Ashcroft is dropping big hints on twitter about the marginal poll.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    I think the real significance of the recent Tory poll leads is that it really *should* (but will it?) stop Tory backbenchers panicking after the Euros. You can normally rely on the usual Tory suspects shooting themselves in the foot after a good UKIP performance with calls to shift to the right / Euroscepticism. If they think they are already ahead in the most reliable GE polls and with a whole year to go all but the most crazy of the crazies should be calm enough.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Think the election results will be better for Tories than thought, and even if grim I think it's factored in. Tories won't panic, they will soak up the bad news and then rapidly pivot to the main task. The Tories are far more disciplined than they be been in ages.
    Because there has been some sustained good news. I hold no confidence in the backbones of that lot when things get tough again. But if things are not as bad as they once looked in the Euros, perhaps they can hang together.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Bugger the polls.. Watch Ed Miliband at PMQ's and weep (If you are a leftie) Jack W is right .
  • Options
    The electorate is in a febrile mood and has NO FUCKING CLUE what it wants !
  • Options
    I am beginning to think we might win by 10% next year!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Scott_P said:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4090085.ece

This is going to be fun.
  • Options
    Does Ed have a presentational issue?

@KellySotherton: I struggle to listen to Milliband on this party political broadcast. To me I can't be enthused. I feel he needs to blow his nose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

kle4 said:

Because there has been some sustained good news. I hold no confidence in the backbones of that lot when things get tough again. But if things are not as bad as they once looked in the Euros, perhaps they can hang together.
    The mood music is of course helpful. There is though the prevailing sense though that the Conservatives are fully in election mode. I think that means that there won't be the usual unhelpful interventions.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

Both EP 2014 and GE 2015 look likely to be a case of "The people have spoken. What did they say?". Although a UKIP win in 2014 would be a fairly clear message that people dislike immigrants and politicians even more than usual.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic: I'm surprised people haven't drawn the obvious conclusion.

If 25% of 2010 Lab voters are now responding 'Don't Know' or refusing to answer, and if a further 5% are saying they'll vote UKIP, and if (as is the case) there are substantial shifts in support for the other parties, then it follows that the situation remains fluid and the polls don't yet tell us very much. This should be no surprise, especially given the error bars on Stephen Fisher's projections from current polling.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2014
    Looks like Telegraph has a big scoop on cricket match fixing.

"Revealed: Cricket's new fixing scandal"

Former Test player hands ICC most detailed evidence of corruption ever. Players named in England and all over the world.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Are jobs that depend on being'self employed'real jobs ? They obviously remove people from the unemployment list but many are not sustainable.I wish that there was a real recovery but only the top 1% are better off.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Both EP 2014 and GE 2015 look likely to be a case of "The people have spoken. What did they say?". Although a UKIP win in 2014 would be a fairly clear message that people dislike immigrants and politicians even more than usual.
    A clearer message that they want to leave the EU.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

'Although a UKIP win in 2014 would be a fairly clear message that people dislike immigrants'

You really believe this ?

• Options
    edited May 2014

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not so sure, the result of a hypothetical referendum has if anything slightly improved as UKIP have risen in the polls over the few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_referendum_on_United_Kingdom_membership_of_the_European_Union#Standard_polling_on_EU_membership
  • Options

Former Test player hands ICC most detailed evidence of corruption ever. Players named in England and all over the world.

Story here

Anti-corruption forces are investigating the most detailed evidence yet of widespread fixing across the cricketing world.

Telegraph Sport can reveal that Lou Vincent, the former New Zealand batsman, has provided officials from the International Cricket Council’s anti-corruption unit with a treasure trove of information about matches which were targeted for spot-fixing and the names of players who were involved.

Domestic matches played by English counties are among those about which Vincent has provided detailed evidence from the period when he was playing for Lancashire and Sussex, along with details of fixing in at least four other countries.

He has also informed them of the details of an approach by another corrupt player to a current international captain, who turned down the offer and reported it to anti-corruption officials.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/10832310/Cricket-rocked-by-new-fixing-evidence-from-New-Zealands-former-batsman-Lou-Vincent.html
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

'Although a UKIP win in 2014 would be a fairly clear message that people dislike immigrants'

'that people dislike immigrants even more than usual' - note the relative not absolute phrasing.

I do believe that, yes. Perhaps I'd phrase it as immigration instead of immigrants personally, but the public have always believed immigration was too high (going back decades) and the salience of this issue is at pretty much record highs (unlike EU salience, btw). So I do believe the rise of UKIP both correlates and is linked with the rise of anti-immigration sentiment.
  • Options

Yes, provided it is followed up by a Conservative majority in 2015, which would allow them to vote for the UK do so. Conversely, UKIP doing well now but sabotaging a Conservative majority in 2015 would indicate that voters don't want to leave the EU, just make a general protest.
  • Options

Are jobs that depend on being'self employed'real jobs ? They obviously remove people from the unemployment list but many are not sustainable. I wish that there was a real recovery but only the top 1% are better off.

Then when they fail, sadly, that will presumably show up in the figures when it happens and any false rise now will be matched and it all evens itself out surely?

So all that changing of the income tax threshold was for nothing if none of the 99% are better off I guess.

• Options
    Ave_it said:

For once, you could be on the right page...
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

'that people dislike immigrants even more than usual'

I do believe that, yes. Perhaps I'd phrase it as immigration instead of immigrants personally, but the public have always believed immigration was too high (going back decades) and the salience of this issue is at pretty much record highs (unlike EU salience, btw). So I do believe the rise of UKIP both correlates and is linked with the rise of anti-immigration sentiment.
    Your forgetting the rise of the EU state,that gave birth to ukip.

• Options

Are jobs that depend on being'self employed'real jobs ? They obviously remove people from the unemployment list but many are not sustainable.I wish that there was a real recovery but only the top 1% are better off.

Welcome back, roserees64. We're under-represented here on the segment of voters which has progressed from deficit denial through growth denial to employment denial, and which is now moving on to prosperity denial.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Andrew Nicoll ‏@AndrewSNicoll 22 min
    This Bloomberg story on the unpublished poll is astonishing. http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-13/cameron-said-to-weigh-more-autonomy-for-scots-before-vote.html

'Scots Seen Slipping Away Makes U.K. Seek Silver Bullet

As Prime Minister David Cameron visits Scotland this week to support the campaign to hold the U.K. together, the Treasury in London is preparing the latest document setting out the fiscal arguments over independence.
    The U.K. government is waking up to the fact that it is losing control of the debate over Scottish independence and needs to come up with more convincing proposals to sway voters, two government officials said.
    Private polling conducted on behalf of the government suggests support for independence in Scotland is growing irrespective of the arguments advanced by Prime Minister David Cameron’s Conservatives, his Liberal Democrat coalition partner and the opposition Labour Party, said the officials, who asked not to be named because the government discussions are private.
    Some ministers see Cameron as having been complacent about the Sept. 18 referendum and that more needs to be done to bolster the case for keeping Scotland in the 307-year-old union, the officials said. The government is considering granting extra powers to Scotland before then as it searches for a silver bullet to stop the vote slipping away from the “No” camp, according to one of the officials.
    “The Scottish Parliament has started a journey and the direction of travel is to continue to give further powers,” John Stevenson, a Scot who represents Carlisle in northern England on behalf of Cameron’s Conservatives, said in an interview. “So far the ‘No’ campaign has concentrated on the accountants, the economic argument. We’ve got to widen that and be a positive argument for the union.” '

http://tinyurl.com/lyawpct
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm not so sure, the result of a hypothetical referendum has if anything slightly improved as UKIP have risen in the polls over the few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_referendum_on_United_Kingdom_membership_of_the_European_Union#Standard_polling_on_EU_membership
    UKIP's founding purpose was to get the UK out of the EU. If they win the EU Parliament elections, that is a clear vote for leaving the EU.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Ave_it said:

Rod,you believe the tories could win by 10% ?

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Story here

Anti-corruption forces are investigating the most detailed evidence yet of widespread fixing across the cricketing world.

Telegraph Sport can reveal that Lou Vincent, the former New Zealand batsman, has provided officials from the International Cricket Council’s anti-corruption unit with a treasure trove of information about matches which were targeted for spot-fixing and the names of players who were involved.

Domestic matches played by English counties are among those about which Vincent has provided detailed evidence from the period when he was playing for Lancashire and Sussex, along with details of fixing in at least four other countries.

He has also informed them of the details of an approach by another corrupt player to a current international captain, who turned down the offer and reported it to anti-corruption officials.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/10832310/Cricket-rocked-by-new-fixing-evidence-from-New-Zealands-former-batsman-Lou-Vincent.html
    This could get very interesting, given how many leagues that guy has played in.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

No, self employment is never a real job.
    It is the top 0.5% that get all the benefit, get real.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Hmm polls shouldn't be there just as a get out for your lack of imagination ;)
    Honestly, I admire Mike's ability to write two/three threads a day for 10 years plus.

I do it for about 6 weeks a year, in 2 week bursts and it leaves me knackered and drained.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Ave_it said:

Rod,you believe the tories could win by 10% ?

Yes, 'could' being the operative word...
  • Options

Andrew Nicoll ‏@AndrewSNicoll 22 min
    This Bloomberg story on the unpublished poll is astonishing. http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-13/cameron-said-to-weigh-more-autonomy-for-scots-before-vote.html

'Scots Seen Slipping Away Makes U.K. Seek Silver Bullet

As Prime Minister David Cameron visits Scotland this week to support the campaign to hold the U.K. together, the Treasury in London is preparing the latest document setting out the fiscal arguments over independence.
    The U.K. government is waking up to the fact that it is losing control of the debate over Scottish independence and needs to come up with more convincing proposals to sway voters, two government officials said.
    Private polling conducted on behalf of the government suggests support for independence in Scotland is growing irrespective of the arguments advanced by Prime Minister David Cameron’s Conservatives, his Liberal Democrat coalition partner and the opposition Labour Party, said the officials, who asked not to be named because the government discussions are private.
    Some ministers see Cameron as having been complacent about the Sept. 18 referendum and that more needs to be done to bolster the case for keeping Scotland in the 307-year-old union, the officials said. The government is considering granting extra powers to Scotland before then as it searches for a silver bullet to stop the vote slipping away from the “No” camp, according to one of the officials.
    “The Scottish Parliament has started a journey and the direction of travel is to continue to give further powers,” John Stevenson, a Scot who represents Carlisle in northern England on behalf of Cameron’s Conservatives, said in an interview. “So far the ‘No’ campaign has concentrated on the accountants, the economic argument. We’ve got to widen that and be a positive argument for the union.” '

http://tinyurl.com/lyawpct

Scots who are lukewarm or undecided on independence really have Cameron over a barrel. No matter if it looks desperate, he and the government would surely offer any inducement to vote No, so never a better time to ask for something.
This discussion has been closed.